• Published 16th Feb 2012
  • 549 Views, 2 Comments

Rising from the Ashes - Doctoroctagonapus21



A mysterious young unicorn runs away into the forest outside Fillydelphia...

  • ...
 2
 549

Chapter 8: From the Ashes

Note: * signals a flashback


It was summer and the night of the Grand Galloping Gala had arrived. Important ponies from all over had been invited to Equestria's most exclusive event. The night sky was free of clouds thanks to the Wonderbolts. What could possibly go wrong on a night like this?

Well, there was one pony in attendence who wasn't feeling so happy. Melody was out in the garden, on her own. She had her mane put into curls and was wearing a white dress with a black musical score pattern sown onto it. To perform at the Gala had been her dream and it was all coming true, but here she was, head hung low, crying like the world was about to end. That's because she felt like hers already had...

In the distance, two very similar voices could be heard calling out for her. Dawn and Luna, the twin actresses looked all around the garden until they found her.

"Here you are!" they said in unison.

She looked up at the twins, tears streaming down her cheeks, not saying a word.

"It's almost time for you to go on." Dawn said. Melody put her head down again.

"Look," Luna said, "I know you're heartbroken about the whole thing but just sing your song and we can go home."

Not saying a word, Melody got up and started walking towards the castle. Within a few minutes, she was on stage as the orchestra had prepared for her to start. Melody, still reminded of what happened, began singing her heart out.

You say my love is all you need, to see you through.
But I know these words are not quite true.

Here is the path you're looking for, an open door
Leading to worlds you long to explore...

*Earlier in the spring of that year, Dawn and Luna were finishing up one of their performances and were racing back to get some news to Melody. They knocked on the door and eagerly awaited the face of their good friend who quickly answered the door.

"Hey, what's up?" Melody asked.

"We've got some good news for you." the twins said in unison.

"What?"

"Well," Luna started.

"We had just finished up our performance for the day." Dawn continued."

"Which had gone very well of course, Dawn here did an excellent job."

"You didn't do too bad yourself."

"Anyway," Luna said, getting back to the point.

"After the show, we were approached by the stallion organizing the entertainment for the Gala and he asked us to perform!"

"Wow, congratulations. You two are so lucky." Melody replied.

"We haven't gotten to the best part yet." Luna said.

"Before he left, we got to talking and he's agreed to let you sing there!" Dawn said, finishing the story.

Melody, now face to face with her dream coming true, started jumping around and screaming with joy. When she had finished, Sparky, who was sitting on the couch, walked over to happy pegasus who was his girlfriend and hugged her, saying "Congratulations." and giving her a quick peck.*

Go, if you must move on alone.
I am gonna make it on my own.

Kiss me goodbye, love's memory.
Follow your heart and find your destiny.
Won't shed a tear for love's mortality
for you put the dream in my reality

*For the next couple months, Melody had been preparing herself for the Gala, but always finding time for her love of course. Sparky, however, began feeling troubled. He had began having nightmares more often than ever, and after a while it was like he'd been trying to avoid Melody as often as he could...*

As time goes by I know you'll see this of me:
I loved you enough to let you go free

Go, I will give you wings to fly
Cast all your fears into the sky

*One day, everything fell apart. The other ponies were going about their lives as normal when hey started hearing shouting from outside. As thtey looked out their windows, Sparky and Melody had appeared to be arguing over something as Sparky was walking towards the forest with Melody close behind him.

"Please, just talk to me." Melody pleaded.

"I'm sorry, but I have to do this on my own." Sparky replied.

"What do you have to do?"

"Something."

"Then let me go with you."

"No. I have to do this myself."

"Why?"

"Because."

"That's not a good answer", Melody replied, getting increasingly frustrated.

"Look, I just have to do this on my own. Okay?"

"This is about your mother isn't it?" Melody asked. Sparky paused, back turned to her. "Look, I understand how you must feel-"

"KNOCK IT OFF!" Sparky shouted, raising his voice for the first time since any of them had known him. He turned around glaring at Melody with tears streaming down his face."YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND! Your parents might still be alive, but not mine. Mine are gone! My mother's dead and it's my fault. You can't possibly understand the pain I went through! The pain I felt when I looked into her eyes for the last time! The pain of watching my home burn down with her in it, waiting for the firefighters to come. The unbearable pain I felt watching them drag her charred remains out of the rubble. You can't even imagine the guilt I still feel, knowing it's all my fault. So, just knock it off! I'm doing this on my own!"

He turned and ran into the forest. Melody, beginning to cry herself shouted back, "FINE!" and turned back, slowly walking back into the house. Percy, having witnessed all this took off into the forest.

After that, nopony had heard so much as a peep from Melody for almost a week, and neither Percy nor Sparky had returned. A gloom had settled over the village that wasn't likely to lift anytime soon. Melody continued to prepare for the Gala which was a few months away.*

Kiss me good-bye, love's mystery
All of my life I'll hold you close to me

Won't she'd a tear for love's mortality
For you put the dream in my reality

Kiss me good-bye, love's memory
You put the dream in my reality

As the song ended, the whole room burst out in applause as Melody slowly trotted off the stage where Dawn and Luna were waiting.

"Come on, the train will be a the station in a little bit." Luna said as the twins escorted their hurting friend out of the castle.

The train ride back to Phillydelphia was long enough on its own but to the trio it felt like an eternity. The dark cabin lit only by the stars and the lamps from distant towns. The only sounds being made were that of the train running on the tracks and Melody's occasional sobs.

The walk from the station felt even longer and clouds were beginning to come in. There was going to be a storm that night.

The rain began to fall as the three entered the village and parted ways. Melody stopped at her door and gave a sigh as she pushed the door open, head hung.

As the door swung open, a familiar voice said, "Welcome back." Hearing that voice, Melody's head shot up as she saw Sparky, sitting there on the couch, smiling at her. "You look beautiful."

Melody, overjoyed at his return, practically jumped on him as she put her hooves around his neck, happy for his return. She briefly opened her eyes and noticed that since he left he had gained something. "Your cutie mark..."

"Eeyup", Sparky replied. Now plastered on Sparky's flank was what looked like a lightbulb attatched to a bottle rocket. "I guess you could say that was a bonus... Look, I'm sorry for what happened. I should have just come right out and said what was going on."

"It's okay." Melody said, crying tears of joy. "I'm just glad you're back."

"Still, I should tell you what happened..."

After Melody calmed down, Sparky began telling her about the nightmares he had been having prior to the fight, how after he left Percy came to find him. Despite protests, Percy stayed to help him. Sparky eventually managed to let go of what happened, after which Percy helped train Sparky to control his magic. "That's our elder for ya." he said.

Melody giggled as she took off her dress and placed it in her closet. "Well, i'm pretty tired. Good night" she said flying up to her room to prepare for the night.

"Oh! I also learned one other trick." Sparky called up from the floor. As Melody turned around, Sparky, glowing yellow, levitated up to her floor and landed.

"Wow." Melody said.

"Yeah, it's kinda neat." he said jokingly.

The storm raged on, lightning flashed and thunder roared, but they didn't care. That night they slept in the comfort of each others' hooves...


A few years later...

Another storm was brewing over the little village. Inside Sparky and Melody's house, two figures, one bigger than the other got themselves up to the floor where the two lovers where sleeping and walked over to them, one on each side. The one on Sparky's side poked him and said, "Daddy?" no response. It poked him again, a bit harder, and said, "Daddy?"

Sparky rolled over, mostly asleep. He conjured up a small light to see a light grey pegasus colt with a green mane and yellow eyes. "Zippy, where's your sister?"

"Mommy?" the other, smaller pony said, poking at Melody. Sparky turned in that direction and Melody was woken up by the light. The other pony was a white unicorn filly with a blue mane and green eyes who poked Melody again.

"Yes, Harmony?" Melody said to the young filly. "We had a nightmare. Can we sleep in your bed tonight."

"Yeah, please?" Zippy asked.

Sparky laughed and said, "Sure."

As the two hopped into their parents' bed, nestling between them, Harmony said, "What's so funny, Dad?

"Let's just say your father knows all about nightmares..." he continued as the four settled in for the night. The storm died down and the clouds drifted away, revealing a star covered sky accentuated by a full moon...

Comments ( 1 )

It's a mediocre start. I don't see why it's been rating bombed, but I'll favorite to read for later.

Login or register to comment