• Published 16th Feb 2012
  • 549 Views, 2 Comments

Rising from the Ashes - Doctoroctagonapus21



A mysterious young unicorn runs away into the forest outside Fillydelphia...

  • ...
 2
 549

Prologue: A New Friend

It was a dark night in a forest outside Fillydelphia, clouds covered up the moon and an earlier rain had left the ground soaking wet while it seemed like another was on the way. A black unicorn with gold colored hair and a jagged gold stripe down his back was plodding through at a slow pace, looking dejected and hungry.

As he reached the top of a hill in a small clearing, he looked back at the city briefly before looking at his thigh. No mark. A long heaving sigh and he felt his heart drop a bit more. He took a step forward but slipped on the wet grass and slid down the hill, hitting a tree on the way and landing in some mud. Without so much as a whimper, he gets up and starts limping away with the left leg seemingly hurt.

The unicorn limped along for what felt like hours in the dark forest with no sound but his hoofsteps when all of a sudden he heard a noise. He went towards it and as he got closer he realized that someone was singing. The siren song lured him in and he lost all sense of time until he reached a big clearing where a small village had been set up by a cliff wall. Looking around, he pinpointed the house where the singing and walked closer as he listened.

Don't fall apaaaart. Speak with your heaaaaart. And always take it with you back to the staaaaaart.

It began to rain again. The unicorn rushed to the porch of the voice as fast as he could. When he got there, his stomach growled louder than ever at the smell of something absolutely delicious. "Hello?" he said loudly. The singing stopped. "Hello?!" he said even louder.

The door opened and there stood a white pegasus with a brilliant blue mane and beautiful blue eyes. She took one look at the unicorn and gasped, "Oh my Goodness! Come in! Come in! No pony should be out in this rain."

The unicorn went in. The 2 story house seemed pretty snug with the kitchen next to the living room and the bathroom in a small section in the back. There were no stairs leading up to the 2nd floor, but it was designed like a balcony.

"Poor thing, you look like you've had it pretty rough." the pegasus said.

"Yeah." he said, laying on the couch. "Thank you for your hospitality."

"You're welcome!" the Pegasus responded with a smile, "My name's Melody Blair. Just call me Melody."

"Sparky."

"You want some veggie stew?" Melody asked.

"I'd love some. I'm starving" Sparky said as Melody brought a bowl over.

"What happened to you?"

"I got hurt on my way over here. I think my leg's broken." Sparky explained.

"Well we need to do something about that. Eat up, I'll be right back." Melody said as she flew up to the 2nd story.

Sparky took a taste of the stew was blown away by the flavor. He quickly managed to gobble it up before she returned.

"Wow, you must have been pretty hungry." Melody said

"I haven't eaten all day. It's really good though." Sparky replied.

"Actually it was made by a friend of mine. How did you wind up here?"

Sparky sighed and looked away with a heavy heart and said, "I'd rather not talk about it."

"Oh, okay. I'm having a friend come over to help with that leg." she said as she grabbed the bowl to get more stew.

Sparky noticed her cutie mark: a microphone surrounded by three musical notes.

"I heard you singing before it started raining." Sparky said. "That's how I found this place."

Melody placed the bowl in front of him. "Oh. Well, you're welcome I guess."

Sparky yawned. He was beginning to drift off, but he managed to eat the 2nd bowl of stew. Just before he fell asleep, Melody was at the door, talking to somepony...