• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 9,185 Views, 760 Comments

Technicalities - BionicBrony



After being forced from their home, a master engineer and his AI end up in Twilight's basement, their only desire to rebuild what they lost. Although not everything is as straightforward as it seems...

  • ...
41
 760
 9,185

V.Log1 [05/31/22]

[V.Log/Entry/05;31;2022]

Okay, so… This is the first entry to my video logs… The date is currently the… thirty first of May in the year of twenty twenty two.

Twilight said I should probably keep a journal to write my thoughts in just to keep myself organized in case things get a little… strange. I think she also mentioned something about later generations reading it, but meh, screw it, they’ll have to work to see these. Written journals are too easy to read. Plus, who the hell writes now-a-days?

Anyway, I figured I might as well record a video log since rambling in front of a camera’s a lot easier than having to write things down. Plus, I can keep working on the core while I do this, at least until the picnic later…

Ah! Son of a– god damn, that hurt… Okay, maybe I should just focus on one thing at a time…

Alrighty, so, where to start? Umm… Well, it’s been roughly three weeks since the portal incident and I got dropped in Equestria… Still feels a little weird, considering this place is the setting for a cartoon on Earth, but hey, I’m alive, so I’m not gonna start complaining. Rose’s reaction to this information was actually surprisingly calm.

Like I said, regardless of whatever it was on Earth, it doesn’t change a thing here.

Rose, no offense, but can I just ramble out my thoughts to no one in particular?

*sigh* Fine, get this over with. I’ll just ignore your rambling.

Thank you. So yeah, she pretty much came to the same conclusion I did, albeit much more quickly.

Anyway, Twilight agreed to help me build the power-core in exchange for me telling her more about Earth… She’s someone who wants to learn, someone who wants to know more… Frankly, I admire her curiosity. I gotta admit though, I’m getting off pretty easy. I mean, getting the materials to build a power-core in exchange for information about Earth and humans? Heh, no skin off my ass, that’s for sure.

Speaking of materials for the core, I was actually surprised to find that she already has some of what I needed. It wasn’t much, but enough for me to start it. Apparently, she has this makeshift laboratory in her basement with a bunch of machines down here. Most of them seem to be for analyzing things. She’s got this one brain scanner which has this… uh… Honestly, it’s a silly looking hat, but hey, it seems to work ok. I mean, everything down here’s a little crude – by my standards, anyway – but she’s done pretty well for herself.

Good news is, she’s actually letting me cannibalize some of the parts from her machines for the core. Something tells me she either doesn’t use these things as often as she’d like, or she just really wants to see a fully functioning power-core. Either way, things are going smoothly.

As for the other, more expensive bits, Twilight said she’d be able to get money for them through the princess the same way she managed to get the money for her current machines. According to her, it’s more than she’s ever asked of the princess before, but she told me it wouldn’t be a problem.

I’m a little worried about the princess, though. If she found out about the core and decided to pull the plug right now, I wouldn’t exactly be in a position to argue.

Twilight seems to be keeping by her word, though. She’s still the only one who knows about the power-core… I think… I mean, she’s helped me this much and hasn’t done anything to make me not trust her, so I can at least assume as much. Rose still isn’t sure though…

Anyway, as for progress on the core, I’d say it’s about half way done. As for the catalyst to jumpstart it, well… we’re still working on that. Rose believes that if Twilight were to charge a titanium sphere with a tungsten core with a… 15 centimeter and 5 centimeter radius respectively… She believes that if Twilight were to infuse magic in that for about an hour each day for two weeks, we’d have enough energy to get it working. Though that’s only a rough guess.

Speaking of magic… ugh, I still hate having to use that term… anyway, Rose thinks that the energy created by the core is actually similar to the magic these ponies use. She told me this after having a chance to analyze Twilight’s magic, and according to her, both seem to have very similar signatures. She told me that, granted, the power-core’s energy is much more powerful than Twilight’s, but the similarities are there. Unfortunately, we can only really run on speculation until we get the core up and running and do a comparison. So until then, it’s just guess work. But if it’s true… This magic business may just be worth investigating. Haven't told Twilight yet, though...

*pause*

*exhale* So… What else to talk about? I guess I could probably talk about something other than the core… Ehh, might as well. Got a few other thoughts I might as well put down, considering the… uniqueness of what’s been happening…

So I ended up bringing my old cell phone with me. Couldn’t unlock it at first, until Pinkie Pie gave me the code for it, in binary of all things. That still freaks me out… I asked her about it, but she told me it had something to do with pinchy knees and a floppy ear, however the fuck that makes sense… Apparently, she said she didn’t know what the code meant when she wrote it, just that I should probably have it.

Actually, while I’m on the subject of Pinkie Pie, I just want to say that shit’s just mental with her. Seriously, I can’t pin her down for the life of me! I mean, she acts all hyperactive and not overly educated– I mean, to the extent that Twilight and I are, but I swear, she knows more than she lets on.

Take that party cannon of hers. It looks like a regular cannon, albeit a bright blue one, but firing it sets up parties? It shoots all manner of things and they all end up right where they’re supposed to! I didn’t even see her load the damn thing, just BAM instant party.

Rose was right. There’s more to that pony than meets the eye… She’s knows things… Her behavior doesn’t suggest it, but I can tell… She may seem pretty simple at a glance – for a given definition of simple, mind you – but under the hood, I swear, there’s more… A lot more…

*pause*

Anyway… that welcome party she threw me a while back was nice of her. Can’t say I’ve ever been to a party like that since… well, since I was a kid, but hey, I wasn’t about to turn down free cake. Although from what I hear, she does that for every newcomer. Kinda detracts from it a bit, but it was still nice of her to do that for me.

You know, ever since I got here, these ponies have been nothing but nice to me. What the hell have I done to deserve it? I never saw this kind of thing on Earth before. Then again, I don’t think anyone on Earth has ever had to harbor a trans-dimensional alien before… Or if someone has, it was definitely kept a secret. I’m certainly no secret here, so I guess it just goes to show how accepting ponies are… I guess that kind of explains why they’re being so hospitable.

Speaking of being nice, Fluttershy and Rarity have been amazing in that department. Rarity actually made a few extra sets of clothing for me completely free of charge! I mean sure, she had me stand around for an hour just taking measurements… plus the extra hour she had me try things on… and she originally designed some things that were… uh… less than practical… But hey, she made some pretty high quality stuff in the end.

And Fluttershy… She’s stopped by for a few minutes every single day since I got here, just to see how I was doing. I guess she is kind of like my mom… Always showing concern for others… Going out of her way to make sure I’m alright…

*sigh* Mom… now that I think about it, if it weren’t for her, I never would have come here… Hell, I’d probably be dead right now… And I’ll probably never see her again… God damn, I miss her… The only thing I really miss about Earth…

*pause*

Anyway, what’s done is done, no sense in dwelling on the past…

*pause*

So... Applejack is actually a pretty damn good cook when it comes to apple-based foods. I've always been a fan of apple pie, myself, but she can make a mean apple anything. Here I was, worrying that all I’d have to eat is salads and eggs, but nope! I mean, most of what they eat is green, but they can do things with apples that just blow my freaking mind.

And speaking of impressive feats… Rainbow Dash seems to be rather… exceptional. Twilight had her perform a couple of flying displays for me while I was here. Rainbow probably saw it as a chance to show off more than anything else, but I have to admit she’s something. The amount of control she has in the air is stunning, really, and from what I've heard, she’s even managed to go Mach One. Now I haven’t seen this for myself yet, so I’m still incredibly dubious, but then again, this world seems to be full of things I never would have thought possible.

Hmm… Now that I think about it… I haven’t designed something with aerodynamics in mind yet… It’s been a while since I worked with it… Once I get everything up and running, it might just be worth recording as much data as I can from Rainbow Dash flying around, might be able to do something with that…

*pause*

Huh… I just realized something… Once the new workshop’s up and running, what am I gonna do? I mean, I want to develop better tech, but do what with it? Just make it for the sake of making it…? The end goal is definitely finishing the warrior project, but that’s nowhere near completion… I also can’t just leave them, especially after everything they did to make me feel welcome here…

You know what? That last facility? It was a good start, but this new one? I’m thinking it’ll be above ground. Keep the central chamber and power-core underground, naturally, but I'm thinking I want to make the Liandri a part of daily life here for these people. They've been accepting so far, so as long as we show them that we don't mean trouble, we could really make a name for ourselves. Yeah… Set up a garage for vehicle manufacturing, maybe a section for Liandri production… separate living quarters… Heh, screw America, this is the land of opportunity.

And my… friends… They deserve something for everything they’ve done for me… Yeah, a personalized thank you for each of them, give myself a challenge. But what to make them, and for when…?

I’m thinking the core will probably be up in running in about 3 weeks, depending on how soon we can get a hold of that charging sphere… If I start getting the materials for the EMC now, I’ll probably be able to build it in three weeks… maybe two… Then give it about a week and a half of non-stop construction on the central chamber for that to finish… Then about two weeks for construction on additions to be completed, so long as extra workers are built…

I think everything should be finished by… sometime in August, disregarding setbacks… Hmm… I could make their gifts as Christmas presents, I suppose. Four months is certainly enough time to individualize them if I multitask...

Wait, what time is it… ah, almost time for that picnic. I should probably get ready for that…

Hmm… You know, I think I've already got an idea or two for what to design, I’m thinking–

*short pause*

Rose, stop recording.

[END OF LOG]

Author's Note:

Hint for the next chapter: May 31st, 2022 is a Tuesday.

Also, I want to thank everyone who liked and fav'd this story! It means so much to me that there are people who like reading it, and it just serves as motivation to keep doing this! I know this chapter is short, but I promise the next one is much longer.