• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 9,185 Views, 760 Comments

Technicalities - BionicBrony



After being forced from their home, a master engineer and his AI end up in Twilight's basement, their only desire to rebuild what they lost. Although not everything is as straightforward as it seems...

  • ...
41
 760
 9,185

Non-canon April Fool's chapter

Rarity’s ear flicked as a strange sound penetrated her bedroom door, rousing her from her beauty sleep. It sounded like hoofsteps…

Many, many hoofsteps. Almost as if half the town was parading outside her door.

With a groan, Rarity forced herself to sit up in her bed and removed her blindfold. She glanced over at the clock next to her bed. It was dark, but there was enough illumination for her to see that it was around three in the morning.

Rarity oriented her ears towards the door. There was definitely somepony walking around outside her bedroom; Many someponies, from the sound of it.

She sighed. Sweetie Belle, I know you enjoy having your crusader friends over, but that is no reason to be making such a racket at this hour…

Rarity threw off her covers half-heartedly and dragged herself out of bed. On her way to the door, she caught a glimpse of herself in her dresser’s mirror. Her mane was disheveled and, by all accounts, absolutely horrendous. How ironic that the one pony in town who gives her mane the best care imaginable would also be the one who suffers from the worst cases of chronic bedhead. Unable to expend any brainpower to fix her mane, Rarity ignored her reflection and proceeded to open the bedroom door.

On the other side of the door, Rarity came face to face with Sweetie Belle, who beamed up at her with her usual, adorable smile. “Sweetie Belle, what are you doing out here, making all that–” Rarity cut herself off upon noticing who was standing next to her sister.

It was… Sweetie Belle?

Rarity’s mind suddenly woke up. There wasn’t one Sweetie Belle, there were two! No, three! Four! Sweetie Belle after Sweetie Belle, somehow, the little filly had managed to duplicate herself! The shock on Rarity’s face grew steadily as she looked over the army of Sweetie Belles that populated the stairway leading up to her bedroom door, each one staring at her with wide open eyes and keen smiles.

HI RARITY!” the Sweetie Belles shouted in unison.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Rarity glanced around frantically, seeing nothing but darkness. It didn’t take long for her to realize that she somehow had her blindfold on again. She quickly tore it off and looked around. Rarity found herself sitting up in her bed with her heart beating a million times a minute. Sunlight streamed in through her curtains in beautiful golden strings, and Carousel Boutique remained as quiet as ever. Her bedside clock read seven twenty five.

Rarity held a hoof to her chest and smiled weakly. “It was just a dream…” she told herself. “Just a dream… ha ha ha! It was just a dream… Of course Sweetie Belle didn’t clone herself. That would be ridiculous.”

After taking another minute to let her heart rate settle, Rarity hoisted herself out of bed and immediately positioned herself in front of her dresser’s mirror to fix her mane.

Just as Rarity finished brushing out a particularly difficult knot, a pleasant scent suddenly wafted across her nose and she closed her eyes, allowing the scent to let her mind wander. “Mmm… What is that…? Is that sweet carrot pancakes I smell...? Ohh… Spiced warm apple cider…” Rarity inhaled deeply. “With a slight hint of smoke…” Rarity’s eyes suddenly shot open and she sniffed around more urgently. “Wait, smoke?! SMOKE!”

With a speed that even Rainbow Dash would find impressive, Rarity bolted out of her bedroom. Unfortunately, Rarity miscalculated just how fast she should have been going and ended up throwing herself down the stairs in a tumble, eventually landing flat on her belly at the foot of the stairs.

Rarity!” cried the squeaky voice of Rarity’s sister from somewhere in front of her. “You ruined the surprise! I was gonna serve you breakfast in bed!”

Rarity looked up at her sister and gently rubbed her head. She must have fallen down the stairs harder than she thought… she could swear she was seeing double… With a groan, she got herself to her hooves and shook her head.

“Wow! Good morning, Rarity!” a voice boomed from her dinner table off to the side.

Rarity jumped in surprise and turned to the speaker. Her parents were sitting at her kitchen table with an assortment of burnt food, or whatever it was supposed to be. Rarity knew her parents had a key to Carousel Boutique, but their presence was certainly unexpected, especially at this hour. “Father! Mother! What are you doing here?”

“Oh, we’re just here to drop off Sweetie Belle and her little robo-friend before your father and I go on our vacation,” answered Rarity’s mother.

Normally, the word "vacation" would have stuck out to her, but something else entirely caught Rarity's attention. She froze and slowly creased her brow. “Wait a moment… robo-friend?” Rarity slowly looked over to her sister and the horror of the situation dawned on her. It seems that she wasn’t seeing double when she fell down the stairs! Standing right beside Sweetie Belle was a mechanical replica of herself that was smiling just as widely as the original!

“Isn’t she cool?” Sweetie Belle shouted joyously. “Our whole class went on a field-trip to Alex’s place for a build-a-bot workshop!”

“Hi there!” the machine said to Rarity in a voice eerily similar to her sister’s. “I’m Sweetie-Bot! We’re going to have so much fun together!”

Rarity’s eye twitched.


Alex rolled onto his left side in an attempt to get comfortable. Unable to achieve that, he rolled onto his right side instead. Still unsatisfied, Alex let out a frustrated groaned and sat up in his bed. “Rose, what time is it?”

“It’s seven thirty four in the morning,” came Rose’s voice. “You’ve only been asleep for a few hours. Is everything alright?”

Alex blinked his restless eyes and looked around in the darkness of his living quarters, as if he would spot someone hiding in the shadows that was denying him one of the few opportunities he gave himself to sleep. He took in a large breath and let it out in a long sigh. “I don’t know… I’m just having a tough time sleeping for some reason…” He slapped a hand against his face and let it slowly drag against his cheek on the way down. “Ugh… It’s like… I dunno… I’m just getting this weird sense of dread…”

Author's Note:

Considering the nature of the story, I had to include Sweetie-bot somehow. Anyway, this is just a funny little aside, and I don't really consider it canon to the story. Also, the next actual chapter is done. I'm just nit-picking through it, as I tend to do.

Just keep in mind that there will probably be a whole lot of this going on:

Happy April Fool's, everyone!