• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 2,850 Views, 233 Comments

My Life as a Hybrid - ChaosDoomscythe



I've lost too much. Now, I'm out for revenge. even if it costs me everything. I'm sorry Luna, but you wont stop me. Nothing will stop me. My name is Shadow Flare... and my wrath knows no bounds.

  • ...
104
 233
 2,850

Chapter 6: Regrets, Fires, and Surprise Hugs

My Life as a Hybrid
By: ChaosDoomscythe/Doomscythe01

Chapter 6: Regrets, Fires, and Surprise Hugs

The void was black, completely black, as if all color and life that had been in it had simply vanished. It only stayed that way for several moments however, before all of the colors returned, and shortly after, all of us reappeared. Everypony was looking around, wondering what happened to the rest of the memory.

“Hey, what gives?” Asked Dash.

“That was the end of the memory.” Everypony turned towards me when they heard how dead my voice sounded. Many of their mouths opened when they actually saw how depressed I appeared at that moment. The void itself took on a darker hue itself, still in a rainbow of colors, but they were all blues and purples. I sighed. “Based on my and Princess Luna’s first venture into the void together, I would wager that my soul likely has the memory stored within it, but… I don’t think I want to see it.”

“I-I don’t think I want to see it either….” whispered Fluttershy. I couldn’t blame her, really. The others, however, were a little more curious than her.

Cadence spoke up next. “You said your soul has the memory… Don’t you remember what happened?”

“No, I don’t. The last thing I remember was that changeling filly’s scream. After that, I blacked out, so I don’t know what happened.”

“What about yer folk’s?” Applejack was walking towards me. “What happened to them? Didja ask them?”

“Well, I woke up a week after it happened-“

“WHAT?!” Simultaneous yells from Rainbow, AJ, Rarity, and Cadence.

“…in a hospital room. I was dead tired, but I managed to ask my mom what happened, ‘cause at the time, I couldn’t even remember the party. She refused to tell me, always deflecting the conversation to something else.” I paused and looked up at the dark colors above me. I thought about what mom told me back then, and as I did so, the colors got gradually darker. I think at this point they started to feel some of the emotions I was feeling, because Fluttershy came up and wrapped a wing around my back again. I nodded gratefully at her. Every little bit helps. “When I did finally remember the party and the events about an hour after I woke up, the first thing I did was ask if the changeling was alright. She said she had been released from the hospital about four days before, and had been visiting me every day. I never saw her though after I woke up, so I don’t know what happened to her.

“But then I started to wonder something. Where was dad?” My head drooped and my ears flattened against my head. “She wouldn’t answer me. I demanded she tell me what happened, and almost raised my voice at her. Even though she could see the near desperation in my eyes, she still refused to tell me.” I paused momentarily, then chuckled darkly, shaking my head. “My stupid, foolish, stubborn self wouldn’t take that for an answer though, so I developed a plan. That night, when mom fell asleep, I snuck out of my hospital room. I had almost collapsed when I climbed out of my bed because every muscle in my body felt like they were going to just give out on me. I eventually managed to make my way out of the room.

“I don’t know what it was at the time… but, something told me that there was something wrong with him. That something terrible had happened to him. Back in my old life, my life as a human, my dad left us shortly after I was born, so it had just been me, my bro, and my mom. As I got older, I could tell that his leaving hurt her, but she did her best not to show it. I could still see it in her eyes every day, though. She was always in pain and that had torn me up just thinking about it.

“That eventually led me to thinking that Platinum Blaze may have left us due to something I had done and it would’ve torn me apart to know I would be the cause of pain for my new mom. But my heart and soul were proving my worries to be unfounded. They were leading me further into the medical facility. I could sense him, so I knew he was near. My worries about him were waning slightly, and I felt perfectly confident that he hadn’t left. But then, I thought to myself. ‘Why wouldn’t mom tell me what happened to him? What was so bad that she wouldn’t tell me for obvious fear of how I would react?’ I started to get a small idea when my connection led me further in the hospital… when it lead me into the emergency care unit.”

The girls, sans Luna, gasped when they heard me say that. Shining had a worried look on his own face, almost as if he somehow knew where this was headed. Luna simply sat there silent, staring at me with patience, kindness and empathy. I think this may have hit a sort of soft spot for her. To the both of us, family is a treasured thing, and knowing that we hurt family is something that tears at us even when we’ve been forgiven.

“I think… I’ll let this next memory speak for itself…” With that, the void shifted, grew dark, and once again, we flew through the memory tube.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shadow Flare walked down the dark hallway, carefully approaching the emergency care section of the hospital. He moved slowly, his legs wobbling underneath him due to their weakness. He was panting slightly from the effort it took to get this far, but the feeling in his gut persisted. His soul led him here, and he was determined to find out what happened.

A door separated him from the E.C. section of the building, but that wouldn’t stop him. He paused at the door and took a few deep breaths before he reared up and pushed on the door. Having expected the door would be rather heavy, he pushed with as much strength as his tired and sore muscles could dish out, but to his surprise, the door swung open with ease, causing him to topple forward and collapse on the ground. He groaned in pain while silently berating himself, before shakily getting to his hooves again. After a few moments of making sure he wouldn’t fall, he began his trek forward.

There were doors on either side of him, and he didn’t know which one his dad was in, but his soul’s connection to his father’s was guiding him exactly where he wanted to be; where he needed to be. He closed his eyes and simply let his hooves move him forward. Finally, he came to a stop. He opened his eyes to see he stood in front of a white door. The door itself had a little rectangle block on it that stated which room this was. Room A-22. But that’s not what caught his eye. What caught his eye were the two words under the room’s designation.

Intensive Care.

Shadow gulped heavily. Steadily growing more and more nervous the longer he stood there. What would he find there, behind the door? Was his father alright, or… was he… No. Shadow shook his head cutting off that trail of thought. He couldn’t think like that. He had to hope for the best. Though he knew, standing in front of this particular door, his soul guiding him to what lay within the room, there had to be something wrong. There was something wrong. Another heavy gulp, before he took a deep breath to steadied his frayed nerves and he placed his hooves on the door. Ever so slowly, he put more pressure and weight upon it, and the portal before him opened.

What lay in the room caused his jaw to drop, his hooves to give out under him and his body drop to the floor with a light thudding sound. Whatever he was expecting to see definitely wasn’t what he had found. Despite knowing and remembering many horrors from countless stories and real life events that happened, or he had heard happen, in his previous life for what was typical of a human, nothing could have prepared him for what he had seen laying in that room.
Nothing could have ever prepared him for seeing the condition his father was in.

Everypony viewing the memory gasped at what they saw. I simply stood and walked away from them, the visage of the figure laying in that bed far, far too painful for me to keep looking at, and it brought me such sorrow, misery, and regret to remember it. I left the memory, returning to the void, but allowed them to continue viewing it.

There, laying on the bed in front of him, was Platinum Blaze, beaten and bloody. There was a specially designed mask covering his snout, providing him with the oxygen needed to breathe properly. All over his body were bandage coverings, some of them with dark red spots on them showing how much he had been bleeding. There was a bandage wrapped around his left eye, his entire right arm, his torso, his left wing, his left leg, and even his tail. Shadow could even see spots where it looked like Scales had been ripped right out of his body and other parts showed spider web fractures along other sections of his scaled body, including his chin.

What was most devastating and shocking about his father’s condition, however, were all of the vividly black burn marks surrounding him. All over there were splotches of black that looked like they were still radiating some level of heat.
Shadow began breathing heavily, his mind unable to understand, unable to comprehend seeing his father like this. Tears began rolling down his scale and chitin covered face. Soon, he began to start hyperventilating, before he suddenly felt himself scooped up and held tightly in Shade’s fore hooves. She pressed his head against her, but he was limp in her arms.

A hoarse voice whispered in the room. “Did… did I… I didn’t… Tell me I… didn’t…”

Shade simply hugged him tighter “Oh, Shadow.”

Shadow’s body began to convulse and quiet sobs were heard before everything went dark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been about 6 minutes since I left before they all reappeared in the void. I had managed to calm down some, but the image was still vividly stuck in my mind. The ponies all turned towards me, the emotions they were experiencing as plain as day to me. Even more so due to the fact that they were essentially the same emotions that I was feeling at the time of that memory.

Before anypony could say anything, I bowed my head and began to emotionlessly recite something I had memorized about that event. Something that I specifically chose to remember for the rest of my life.

“Fractured jaw. Broken tail. Pierced eye. Broken leg. Broken arm. Broken wing. Ten broken ribs. Punctured lung. Internal bleeding. Bruising on internal organs. Two hundred and fifty-eight shattered scales. Fifty-nine missing scales. Four broken teeth. Two missing teeth. Scarring on exposed skin. Nine lacerations located across front and back of body. Sprained ankle. Sprained wrist. Sprained neck. And finally… first, second, third and fourth degree magical burns located on various spots of his body, all of the fourth degree burns having caused many scales to melt and fuse together, burning the skin underneath.”

Every. Single. One of them had their jaws dragging on the non-existent floor of the void we were all in. That’s what I saw when I looked up. The only three, however, who truly understood the full extent of the damage, however were Twilight, Cadence and Luna and their expressions matched it. Despite my current low feeling about myself, I couldn’t help but chuckle at their faces.

“Yeah. I did that. In my blind rage, I very nearly killed my own father. As a foal. A one year old foal. This one memory has placed such fear of myself in my own heart and soul that I am, and probably always will be, completely terrified of myself. For the months my dad remained in a coma there at the hospital, I myself had horrible nightmares about harming everyone I cared about. What I wouldn’t give to have had you here back then Princess Luna.” She nodded in understanding at that. “Can you imagine what would have happened if I hadn’t been trying my damnedest to keep myself in check when I lost it against Celestia? Can any of you possibly fathom the kind of damage I could’ve caused to all of you had this memory not been there to help hold me back? I wasn’t just terrified for myself, I was terrified for everypony in Canterlot. If it had continued on for much longer, I’d have completely lost it. And I shudder to think of what I could’ve done.

“To that end… Thank you, Luna, Dash, Shining, everypony. Thank you for stopping me. Even in my anger, I never wanted to hurt any of you. It would’ve destroyed me if I had.”

I could see Fluttershy was about to approach me to comfort me again, but a flying blur of pink with poof (yes, that’s my nickname for her) tackled me and beat her to the punch. I was then subjected to a literally bone crushing hug, which, to this day, I still couldn’t figure out how she had enough strength to do that. I mean, seriously. I’m covered in scale and chitin under my fur, not to mention my bones are much denser than a normal pony’s.

So how is it that I find my bones creaking with the strain that she’s putting on me?

And don’t even get me started on how much pain that these monster hugs of hers actually causes. Which brings up the question of how I’m even feeling this pain in my mind right now. How do the girls put up with this? Cartoony world or not, this shit hurts!

Also, have I mentioned that I now lack the ability to breathe?

Would be nice if I could get that ability back, pinks.

…..

DAMMIT MARE! LET GO ALREADY!

“I don’t understand something…” I looked over to Twilight as I struggled to get out of the death grip Pinky had me in. (I was failing by the way.) I could see her working that brain of hers. “How could you have possibly caused your father such intense magical burns? It shouldn’t be possible. He’s a dragon, and dragons are heavily magically resistant, not to mention the fact that dragons are all but immune to intense levels of heat, so how did you cause him such damage?”

“P-Points for you, Twi- ugh! Twilight! *Gasp!* Pinkie! Need! *Gasp* Breathe! *GASP* LEGGO!”

“Oopsy! Sorry Shadow!”

Having finally been released from the deadly pink clutches of sugar rush, and managing to take in some much needed air, I managed to regain my composure. I turned and gave Pinkie a skeptical look as she smiled sheepishly at me. My eye twitched.

‘I don’t give a flying fuck what the show, nor all of the past fan fictions have warned against. Fuck ‘Pinkie being Pinkie.’ I swear, I’m recruiting Twilight, and we’re finding out how that mare works, so help me!’

I then turned back to twilight to get back on track. “As I was saying, points for you for figuring that out. Under normal circumstances, it’s true, I would never have been able to burn him like that. Then again it wasn’t exactly a normal situation, what with my magic affecting my fire and adjusting it to my will.”

“What do you mean, Shadow Flare,” asked Luna.

“This is how my father, and several doctors after I was examined, explained it to me. My fire, unlike a normal dragons, is directly tied into my magic. Twilight, you know how Spike can use his flames to either burn things normally, or send letters or other objects to Celestia?” She nodded affirmation of this fact. “Had I been born a full dragon, my flames would be the same way. However, it’s because of the fact that I was born part changeling, and can activate my magic at will much like a unicorn, that changes the fundamentals of how my magic-fire works.

“See, like I said, my fire is directly tied into my magic, which means it acts in accordance to my will. It’s not normal fire, its magic fire. But it’s infused with changeling magic, nor normal pony nor regular dragon magic. I don’t fully understand the genetics of it myself, but as a result, my magi can quite literally burn anything. Anything, Twilight, Including magical resistance.”

While her jaw dropped, everypony else’s eyes widened in disbelief. So I set about correcting that disbelief.

“Shining Armor.” Said stallion turned to me and paid apt attention. “Remember when you tried to use your shield spell to trap me in that bubble?”

“Yeah… Wait, you mean-? I thought you just overpowered it!” He looked at me in further disbelief.

“I could’ve, but it would’ve taken far too long to do, so instead, I ‘burned’ your shield into nothing. Didn’t you notice there was no strain on your mind or magic when I did so? Had I simply overpowered it, you would’ve suffered from a massive headache. So I just burned your magic.”

He took a moment to think back, and then widened his eyes in surprise.

“Adding on to that, do you remember when I tackled you and set you aflame? Remember how your body didn’t actually burn, but you felt something inside of you burning instead?” He nodded again. “Remember how after the flames disappeared you couldn’t use magic anymore?” Once agan, his eyes widened in realization. “My magic work in according to my will. Instead of burning you, I willed it to burn you magical reserves instead. I had no desire to hurt you, I just wanted to make sure you couldn’t use your shields to stop me again.”

“That’s incredible! You mean to tell me that your magic can burn through anything?!” and there’s Science Mare, rearing her ugly head again. I’m gonna want to stop this before it gets out of hand. “Do you know what this means? If we studied you, we might be able to figure out how to apply this to-“

I was suddenly in front of Twilight, my hoof hovering right in front of her belly. “Twilight, I swear, if you geek out on me, I will tickle you until you pee yourself in the void and out of it.”

“But- But- But think of the science!”

My response was to poke her. She let out a very short giggle before she promptly covered her stomach and glared ruefully at me. It did, however, manage to get her to promptly shut up, so I warped back to where I was before.

“Yes, Twilight, I can burn literally anything and everything with my magical fire, and…“I stopped and thought for a moment, before turning towards Pinkie. “…Actually, I’m kinda curious if I can burn Pinkie’s physics breaking randomness away.”

Pinkie actually paled- I mean she turned whiter than Rarity- when I said this, and promptly disappeared from the void.

I mean, she was gone.

Gone, dude, just gone.

Everypony stared at where she was for several moments before I turned towards Luna.

“Is she even still asleep?”

Luna looked at me for a few seconds before her horn and her eyes started glowing. When they stopped, she shook her head. “Huh. Didn’t you put all of us under a sleep spell though?” She nodded. “Then, how did she… know what? Forget it.”

I turned back towards the others. I would deal with that later.

“Anyway, there are a few more points about my magic you need to know about. The first is that my magic fire is the same as magic itself. Which means, that I can wear myself out if I use it too much. I can even suffer from magical exhaustion when it’s depleted, and I won’t even be able to shoot fire anymore.

“The second is that my magic is also heavily tied into my emotions like any normal pony’s but to a greater degree. My emotions literally affect the effectiveness and strength of my magic. If I happen to be emotionally unstable, however, I will be completely unable to use my magic or fire in its entirety.

“And my last point. This one coincides with one specific emotion though. Before I explain that, there’s something I need to explain about dragons in general, because I know you don’t have much info on them at all, and I’ve been meaning to warn you about this for some time. Especially you, Twilight.”

“Me? Why?”

“For Spike’s sake.”

Now she was thoroughly confused.

“Do you remember Spike’s greed growth?” Everypony nodded. “Yeeeeaaah, well, guess what? He’s gonna go through something like that six more times over the course of his life, likely while he’s still living with you.”

“What? You mean to tell me that my little Spikey-wikey is going to go through that horrible greed growth phase of his again!?” Rarity looked completely aghast at that.

“No, no. Not the greed growth again. He’s mastered his greed when he changed back. If he didn’t he’d still be a monstrous dragon the size of Godzilla and you, Rarity, would most likely be a part of his hoard.” Rarity visibly shuddered at the thought. “He will, however, have to go through six more phases of growths before he become a fully mature dragon. Each one will cause subtle shifts to his personality, and even his appearance as he matures, but all in all he will remain mostly the same.”

“Um... you keep saying ‘mature’. Is that how, um, dragons mature? By going through these growths?” Fluttershy, ever the timid one.

“Pretty much. For Dragons, in order to mature, they have to- *GASP!* AAARGH!” I collapsed on the invisible ground, clutching my left side in pain. The ponies all rushed towards me to make sure I was okay. I wasn’t. “Luna! Wake us up! WAKE US UP!!!”

“Shadow!What is wro-“

“NOW!! PLEASE!!!”

Without another word, her horn let loose a powerful flash, and the world went momentarily dark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“SON OF A BITCH! OW!!” My eyes snapped open, and I immediately started kicking at the massive furry creature to my left, the chains and cuffs on my hooves rattling as I did so.

“No! Ow! Let go! Bad, Mantle! Bad! GET OFF ME!!!!” With a final powerful kick, I pushed the manticore away from me, and he let loose a whining growl. “WHAT THE ABSOLUTE FUCK WAS THAT?!?!” He whined at me again. “No I wasn’t dead, you fucking overgrown fur-ball!” a couple of grunts, and a short growl. “Yes, I was too breathing!” A shake of the head, followed by several grunts. “Fuck that! I know you know I was breathing; your freakishly powerful ears can hear a friggin’ cricket moving in the grass, so I know you heard me breathing! You just wanted to take a bite out of me! Ow! What the-?” I finally looked down at my left side to see the damage. There were quite a few scales missing, as well as some small amounts of chitin. There was a little blood flowing down from the wound and pooling slightly under my left flank, but not that much too really be worried about. That was about when I noticed two things. The first was that I somehow reverted to my hybrid form while I was asleep. The second…

“OH YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE! YOU DID TAKE A BITE OUT OF ME!” I turned to glare at the manticore, whom at first didn’t even move. A few seconds later, however, his jaw started moving slightly, and I heard a sort of grinding noise, before I heard a gulp, and watched a small bulge move down his throat. My jaw actually dropped at the brazen display. He didn’t even deny it. In fact, after my jaw dropped, he snickered – actually snickered at me – before turning and jumping out of a large hole in the window next to me that I’m reasonably certain wasn’t there before we went to sleep.

Shortly after, I heard screams echoing from the streets of Canterlot from the obvious panic a random manticore showing upon the cobblestone roads would undoubtedly cause. Least I know he wouldn’t actually attack anyone. The big, obnoxiously hungry, softie he is.

I sighed, mumbling obscenities under my breath as I turned back to look at the room. Every guard in the room was knocked unconscious, with only minor cuts on their bodies, or dents in their armor where Mantle likely struck them. They most likely tried to stop him when he crashed in. Welp, judging from the hanging tongues and drool coming out from their mouths, as well as the black eye on one of those unfortunate souls, they seemed to have failed spectacularly. Then I moved my gaze to the others, whose eyes were all locked on either me or the window, all jaws dropped, with the exception of Pinkie Pie, who was nowhere to be seen. Well, needless to say they were all pretty much either shocked, stunned stupid, or appalled at what just happened.

Finally, after a few more moments of silence, Shining armor was the first one to find his voice. “That was a manticore.”

I nodded in agreement. “Eeyup.”


He continued to stare at the window. “And he just ate a piece of you.”

I scoffed. “No, he gave me a surprise hug... the dick....”

He was still continuing with that thousand mile stare. “And then you yelled at it.”

A nother nod. “Sure did.” Well, I can see how the next couple of minutes are going to go if this keeps up.

Still staring. “And then he jumped out the window.”

Last time I was going to nod. “Looks that way.”

He finally turned his head towards me. “Why did-“

I let loose a half grunt, half sigh to interrupt him. “Get me some medical attention, a ton of food, and a little joy from somepony, and I’ll finish my explanation on Draconic Maturation habits… and tell you all about my asshole of a pet manticore.”










Mantle, I only have one thing to say about you:




















You’re a fucking ass.





No offense.
“None taken.”


























No, seriously, where is Pinkie?

“SURPRISE!”

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

Author's Note:

Okay, so, what can i really say? I'm sorry for the long wait everyone. (wonder if i should start saying everypony in these notes.) I would have been had chapter 6 out long ago if it wasn't for school, and work, kicking my ass up and down the block. Seriously, i had like three different papers i had to work on at the same time. That just killed my drive to write at all. Not to mention i was just exhausted everyday after work, so i couldn't even stay up late to even bother trying to work on this thing. haven't even had the time to take out my frustrations on my games. i couldn't even play my games, people! those are my stress relievers! i mean, come on, who can pass up the chance to scream obscenities at a screen for up to hours on end just because it makes you feel good, and takes your mind off the fact that you've had many, MANY fantasies about strangling your professors for giving out such hard and time consuming work?

...............well then, maybe that's just me.

Anyway,now that finals are done with and im done with most of my wintery preperations, to make up for the long wait, soon as i got my frustrations taken care of, and my drive to continue back, i cranked out this chapter for you guys. a little longer than what i'm going to make most future chapters, which are going to be about 2k to 2.5 k words long. maybe a little longer, maybe a little shorter, but that's about the length they'll be. usually. sometime the imagination just runs wild.

Now, just a few more quick things here. First off, from this point in the story, I will be explaining Shadow Flare's story by kinda jumping around to different points in time. I'm going to make a blog post later to explain what events happen when, and will keep it constantly updated as i get more chapters out, and i'll post the link either at the beginning of the chapter where the title and stuff is, or at the of it, or in the authors notes. Character perspectives will also change so you can see what the others are thinking/doing at specific points, but i will give warning about that in-chapter.

Secondly, i'm also going to be looking at somewhere around twenty five to thirty-ish chapters in this story. maybe more, maybe less, depends on how far my imagination decides to go (usually, pretty far). i will be taking breaks from time to time to take care of real life things, or just to refresh myself, casue we all need a break every once in a while. I will try to get out chapters faster though, but no promises.

Finally, Thank you to everyone who stuck around and gave my story a chance. I'll try to keep you interested in it as long as i can. Another thank you to everyone who has liked, favorited, or commented on my story, be it negative or positive. At least i know people are reading this thing. and possibly liking it if they're still reading it (that's my hope anyway. its nice to feel at least somewhat appreciated.) And a big, big thank you to everyone who stuck around during my absence. Thanks ladies/gentlemen/mares/gentlecolts/griffons/minotuars/changelings/any-other-creature-i-forget-to-mention. Thanks alot everyone!

Happy holidays!

(Please point out any mistakes or errors you find, thanks.)