• Published 15th Feb 2012
  • 2,819 Views, 74 Comments

The 6 Million Bit Pony - BaronVonStallion



Big Macintosh is laid up in the royal hospital. But we can rebuild him. We have the technology!

  • ...
5
 74
 2,819

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Everything seemed to move slower as Celestia’s sun broke the crest of the hills surrounding Ponyville. It was early morning, and a slight mist coated the ground, cooling it down to a slight chill. Most ponies were asleep at this time, avoiding the cold air and early morning jitters. This was not true for Sweet Apple Acres. Being a farm, everypony working for them started earlier than the townsfolk, not wanting to waste daylight.


“Get up, ya big lug!” shouted Applejack from the outside of Big Macintosh’s room. This had been the third time this week that Mac had been late for sunrise. He was usually punctual unless cider was involved the night before, and even so, those nights were few and far between. He was quite literally the workhorse on the farm, and normally AJ was lenient with him on his sleeping patterns, but this was getting ridiculous.


“Mac, you better open this door, or ah’m gonna hafta.....”


At that moment, Big Mac appeared in front of his sister, looking more disheveled than a manticore giving birth. His hair was unkept and was missing its usual sheen, while the bags under his eyes reminded Applejack of a certain elder’s elbows. Strangest of all, AJ noticed an uncharacteristic cough emanating from her brother.


“Hey Mac, you okay? Ya look a might tired, an‘ that cough don’t sound good.”


“Yup, Lil‘ Jack, I’m fine. Most likely its just allergies or sumthin’.” replied Macintosh. Although he was feeling a bit under the weather, there was work to be done. No tingle in the back of his throat was going to delay a hard days‘ work. Anyways, this type of morning was his favorite.


“Ya know I hate that nickname...” AJ scowled. “I know,” said Big Mac, “but I made it up, so I git ta use it.” “Ah hate that rule” said Applejack. Ever since they were kids, Mac teased her with that name. He would always allow her to tease him, but she never thought of anything that could dig under his skin.


“Ah dunno AJ, I bet that Soarin fella might enjoy it...” was all he could get out before Mac received a swift hoof to the gut, courtesy of Ponyville’s premier apple bucker. Ughh, that’s not gonna help much... thought Macintosh.


“Ah told ya, Mac, we jus’ talked!” AJ said, hiding her blush quite poorly, in her brother’s opinion. She had experienced the now notorious Gala event two weeks before, and although she made barely any bits that night, she did happen to meet one very interesting pony. “For four hours? He was your only customer for the whole night! What the hay did ya’ll discuss for so dang long?”inquired Mac.


Finally, I get a shot at him. “Well, Mac, we started with apples, then we talked ‘bout our jobs, an’ then he told me ‘bout this amazing thing he can do wit’ his mouth...” Had Big Mac’s mouth not been attached to his head, it very well may have broken through the floor and into the storm cellar.


“Ya know, he showed me on a pie...” AJ reveled in her chance to finally troll Big Mac.


“Okay, goin‘ ta work now” shouted Big Mac, hooves clasped over his ears. He knew in the back of his mind that Applejack was too modest to actually talk to a complete stranger like that....probably. Well, more hopefully, he thought. Oh god, what has she been doin’? I knew that dress weren’t fer no apple sellin’... settle down, Mac. She’s a grown mare.


Though Mac would’t let on to Applejack, he was quite protective of his younger sisters. Their mother had passed after complications with Applebloom’s birth, only two years after their father, Golden Gala, fell ill. Big Mac was still fairly young, but he took to the “man of the house” role well, which consisted of being bossed around by three mares of varies ages and moods.


And he wouldn’t have it any other way. His family was the most important thing in his life, and though he pondered maybe starting a family of his own, he was always too busy for courting. That, and the fact that most mares in this town only wanted one thing. Unfortunately for them, he wasn’t that kind of stallion. Not that he didn’t consider a few propositions once in a while, but that was energy he could be using for a harvest, or re-seeding the carrot groves, or any number of menial but important tasks that he needed to fulfill. There was time for work, and time for rest, and Mac understood that.


As Mac looked over towards the main shed, his mind drifted o his work. Today’s gonna be a dozy, ain’t it? Gotta replant the last third of the new radish patch, seal the barn’s foundation, and figure out what the hay’s wrong with that damn apple boiler. Big Mac was not looking forward to that last chore. Although handy in most respects, Big Mac and technology had a less than friendly relationship. The last time Mac had fiddled with that boiler, it “resorted to childish tricks” as he liked to say. In other words, it dumped hot cider all over his newly polished yoke.


As Big Mac started his day, a faint cloud careened towards Sweet Apple Acres. Staring at it, Mac found it strange that only one loud would exist on its own. As the cloud drifted closer, he noticed a puff of blue hair poking out of the top, and a pair of goggles sticking out in front. Without saying a word, Big Mac knew exactly who this mysterious stranger was.


“Well howdy there, stranger.” said Big Mac as the cloud neared ground level. “I suppose you’d be that Soarin’ feller, huh?” Soarin’ looked at the the massive stallion in front of him, and for a splint second considered that maybe being here wasn’t the best of ideas.


“Y-yeah, that’s me. How’d you know that?” Soarin‘ asked, stepping off of his personal nimbus and onto Sweet Apple Acres. “Well, my sister mentioned some colt she’d met at the Gala...” started Big Mac. YES, I’m totally in. I knew I was smooth, but DAMN...thought Soarin’.


“...but she tends to mention plenty-a colts, so I doubt she was talkin’ bout you” finished Mac, a sly grin spread across his face. It may have been a bit cold, but Mac relished in the few chances he got to tease someone interested in Applejack, and a complete stranger at that.


“O-oh, um, okay, thanks anyway.” Soarin’ face crashed as hard as one of Vinyl Scratch’s famous bass drops, and he started to meander back towards his cloud. Big Mac decided to take pity on the poor stallion, and pointed him towards the main house saying “She’s n there, if’n y’all wanted to talk.”


Soarin’ thanked him, though suspicious of the house due to Mac’s aforementioned trickery. This better not be some kinda joke...I had to miss a fan signing for this, he thought.


As Soarin‘ went to knock on the house’s front door, a small cream colored filly crashed directly into his flank. Although surprising, she was barely half his size, so most of her momentum recoiled back, making her launch into a barrel of apples coincidently next to the door.


“Horseapples!” the barrel of apples shouted. Soarin‘ peered into the barrel and came face to face with a large pink bow. “Are you alright?” asked Soarin’.


“Yea, sorry mister, I guess mah cutie mark ain’t in being a pony cannonball.” The small filly stated in a very nonchalant manner. “Who are you? I ain’t never seen you on the farm before.”


“My name’s Soarin’, I’m a friend of Applejack's.”


“Ohhhh, so you’re Soarin’ huh. I’m Applebloom. What’s with that suit, and those goggles? Are you some kinda plumber or somethin’?” Soarin’ shuddered to think why this small filly would think a plumber needs goggles, but he humored the little filly.


“Well, I’m a special kind of plumber. I use explosives, so I need proper eyewear.”


“Ok, mister, I get it. You’re no plumber. But what do you do exactly?”


“I’m a stunt pony. I fly with the Wonderbolts and preform shows and feats.”


“Well that makes more sense, now don’ it!” decreed Applebloom. “I suppose you’re here to talk to sis, then.”


“That’d be it.” said Soarin’.


“She’s inside” said Applebloom through attempts of escaping her apple-filled barrel prison. “Need some help?” questioned Soarin’. “Thanks, Soarin’, but I gotta do this on my own” said the determined filly.


As Soarin’ entered the house, the already lingering smell of apples mixed with a hint of cinnamon, giving him the slightest of food based heart palpitations. As the door closed, a small bell alerted the housemates of an incoming guest.


“Hello?” a mare’s voice inquired from the kitchen. “Can I help y’all?” Applejack’s eyes lit up as she rounded the corner and spotted Soarin‘. “Well hey there, sugarcube. What bring’s ya round here?”


“I had a break from practice in Canterlot, and I thought to myself, ‘Where can get the most delicious apple pie in all of Equestria?‘ So I thought I’d drop by, buy a couple pies, and maybe chat a bit.” Soarin‘ thought about telling her he skipped an actual event to see her, but that sounded needy in his head, so he kept it to himself.


“Darlin’, Canterlot is 45 minutes away by air.” Applejack said, trying to put on her best Rarity impression. “One does not simply drop by from Canterlot.”


“Well, ya see, I, ummm...” feeling trapped, Soarin’ resorted to a tried and true method of smiling and nodding.


“Don’ worry about it, none” AJ managed through a fit of giggles. “That’d be...10 bits” said Applejack. Soarin’ reached around into the back pocket of his jumpsuit, he finally realized why his flank was colder than normal than day. I should’ve repaired that hole weeks ago. Of course it had to rip today.


“Sorry, Applejack. I wanted to grab some of those pies, but it looks like the fates say otherwise.” Soarin’ displayed the torn suit, causing AJ to relapse into more giggles.


“Here, gimmie that. I’ll fix it up” said Applejack. “Umm...okay. Where’s your bathroom?” asked Soarin’.


“Just take it off.”


“AJ! So rough! I at least need a drink first.”


“Alright, loverboy. Just give me the suit. How much time you got?” asked AJ.


“I’ve got the rest of the day”


“Since you don’t have any money, go outside and find my brother. His name’s Big Macintosh. He’s a....”


“Let me guess. He’s a giant red stallion with a fondness for yokes and a penchant for teasing?”


“I suppose you’d met?”


“Yep. He got me once already.”


“Well, go find him and give him a hand. That’ll pay off the suit n’ pies, and then we can have lunch.”


“Sounds good to me. Thanks!”


As Soarin’ left the house, he wished that he could spend more time with Applejack than with hr brother. He wasn’t much of a stud, but he’d had his fair share of marefriends, and the talk with the older brother normally went poorly. Seeing that this particular brother storied over him, Soarin’ was not feeling good about it. As Soarin’ looked around the farm, the cool air of the morning started of warm up, giving the farm an early spring breeze. I could get used to this. That’s the problem with Canterlot. No wind. Too many buildings.


Soarin’ spotted Big Mac near a large patch of dirt. As Soarin’ walked over, he noticed that this Big Macintosh looked slightly ill.


“Hey Mac! Looks like you got some help today!” Soarin’ put the best fake smile, disappointed by the mareless turn his day seemed to be taking.


“Help? Well I’m jus’ about done with this radish patch, an’ we don’ have sealant for the barn, so I suppose you could check the boiler with me.” Mac was not liking this “help” one bit. He’s probably just going to hold me back. I don’t have time for this...but if AJ sent him out here, there’s gotta be some kinda reason.


As Big Macintosh and Soarin‘ trotted over to the boiler, an uncomfortable silence filled the air. Mac was usually quiet, but Soarin‘ didn’t know that. Soarin‘ could understand why, in his mind, Mac was so quiet. He wouldn’t want some stallion cosy-ing up to his sister, if he had one.


The apple boiler was an old, cast iron vat used for tempering the apples after they were harvested. It may add time to the process, but preparing the apples for travel make the flavor and condition last, a trait the Apple family didn’t take for granted. The boiler was old, and tended to act up from time to time.


Today, it chose to clog up in its bottom heat value. As Big Mac investigated the tank, Soarin” trotted around to the back, absentmindedly tapping on knobs and switches.
He was just as bored as he would’ve been at the fan signing. Should’ve got that damn pocket fixed...Soarin’ thought. Big Mac seemed to be mumbling something. “What was that?” he asked.


“Come ‘round front, I gotten ask ya somethin’.” said Big Mac. As Soarin’ sat next to Big Mac, he could feel the anxiousness emanating off him. “Does that seem right ta you? You prolly don‘ know much ‘bout machinery, but that can’t be safe.” As Soarin‘ looked at the boiler, and noticed that it was bulging near the bottom. “Is that suppose’d to happen?” Soarin said, pointing at the bulge.


As Macintosh looked to the end of Soarin’s hoof, his eyes widened, realizing the series of events to follow. He grabbed Soarin‘s mane, and twisted his neck in the other direction as hard as he could. Unfortunately, he wasn’t fast enough. The boiler ruptured, sending a shockwave through the small village and waking most of its inhabitants.


Applejack rushed through the front door and ran towards the smoke. As she arrived at the impact zone, she had only moments to look upon the scene before a blinding white light engulfed her. She heard a voice say “Do not worry, my little pony. Your brother and friend need not die this day.”