• Published 17th Feb 2012
  • 2,868 Views, 96 Comments

Bad Memories - brohoof22



Matt finds himself in a rather strange forest, and is found by even stranger creatures...

  • ...
8
 96
 2,868

Acceptance

For the first time since he woke up in the Ever Free Forest, Matt slept quietly. However, the only reason he did not dream at all, was because his mind was too busy trying to cope with the situation at hand.

He had somehow been transported into some place that was filled with magic, talking ponies, manticores, and who knows what else. His mind was in total shock, and needed to process all of this information. But even with no dreams whatsoever, Matt woke up feeling mentally exhausted.

Matt opened his eyes and tried to get the morning sand to clear away. He continued to lay on his small bed, staring up at the dark oak ceiling. His mind was blank, he simply was not capable of thinking.

After nearly a half hour, Matt finally snapped out of his trance and threw the covers off of himself. He turned until both of his legs were over the side of the bed. Matt was surprised when his broken leg had almost no pain reaction form the sudden movement. Curious, Matt took off his shirt, revealing toned muscles, to look at his bullet wounds. After undressing the bandages, he inspected each of his wounds. Each of them had almost fully healed, none of them were seeping out blood.

"Damn" Matt grunted. "That...Zecora thing must really know its stuff"

At the sound of his voice, Rocky instantly woke from his small bed in the corner, and looked excitedly at Matt. Matt bent over the bed to take off the cast, and then inspected the leg. His bone was completely mended, and only gave off minute shocks of pain. Matt decided to go without the cast and crutch, but to keep it easy while the 'potion' he drank does its work.

Walking over to his bag, Matt scooped up a fistful of dog food, and dumped it into the small bowl that Fluttershy had made for Rocky. As Rocky ate, Matt proceeded to the bathroom to splash water all over his face, waking him up. He began to smell the air, which smelled stagnant and sweaty, and then smelled himself.

"God damn I need a shower..." He said

Matt looked into the small bath/shower stall at the faucet, which was created in an odd fashion with 5 or so handles. Matt chuckled softly.

"Heh, its like using a friends shower...in another country"

Matt walked back into his room and changed his clothes. Whistling for Rocky, Matt opened the door to his room and proceeded down the hall, his head nearly touching the ceiling. As he walked into the library, he began skimming his fingers over the edges of the books, as if to check if the books were there. Matt knew of his problem, but that did not mean that he would accept it so hastily. After all, this was much different to his once everyday life of coffee and television, and maybe reading the newspaper.

Matt and Rocky both smelled an aroma coming from the kitchen. Walking into it, Matt saw a small green and purple dragon at the stove, preparing something. Matt checked his phone time, which was oddly the same to the large clock in the corner of the kitchen. 7:00

"Uh, hey...Spike. What are you making?" Matt asked quietly.

Spike turned to Matt, and checked his hip for something that Matt already knew. Spike then looked at Matt with a bit of concern.

"You okay Matt? I saw you kinda go crazy yesterday with that metal thing. And you really do not look too good right now, like you might fall over if I poked you." Spike said.

"Well, with what my usual everyday life used to be, and now this, yes, I did go a little bit crazy the moment I saw one of these...ponies." Matt replied. "So what are you making?"

"Waffles"

"Huh, at least that's not different. Where is Twilight?"

"Upstairs doing some book checks, since we are open today, she always goes crazy about things being in the right place. So I am usually stuck with making breakfast. Waffle?" Spike asked, holding up a waffle with a fork.

Matt nodded, grabbed a plate and the waffle, and found a small fork and knife in a drawer. Matt was at least lucky enough that spike used the same silverware as he. He was also thankful for the maple syrup that Twilight also had. Rocky continued to roam around the home to sniff different things as Matt sat down to the table. Twilight walked in just as Matt was about to take a bite.

"Good morning Matt!" Twilight exclaimed, then put on a face of worry. "Are you feeling alright? You seem much paler and exhausted then yesterday."

"Just the result of my brain trying to take in account of all the seemingly impossible physics quirks of this place. Forgive me if I look tired but I honestly don't think any amount of sleep could really fix that." Matt replied.

Twilight nodded, then proceeded to kinetically levitate a waffle to her plate, and then began to eat. After Matt was half done with his breakfast, Twilight asked a question.

"So Matt, Princess Celestia asked me to find out about your culture, knowledge, and some of your items that you brought with you. When would you like to start?"

Matt looked up from his plate and gazed at Twilight. "Would you mind if we could start this later today? I really need to get some fresh air."

Twilight nodded. "Of course, I understand that you still need to take this all in account."

"Do you know where a clear grassland is? I just want to relax in the fields for a while."

Twilight nodded again. "If you take a right down from this street, and then take a left on the next intersection and go straight. You will eventually find a clearing with a schoolhouse on top of a hill. There is plenty of space there."

Matt finished his meal, then sat up and placed the dish and silverware in the sink. "Thank you. I might be gone for a while so don't expect me until the afternoon."

Twilight acknowledged Matt and then continued to eat her meal as Matt left the kitchen. He walked over to his room and picked up a tennis ball and some dog treats. He left his pistol in the bag since he did not want to involuntarily shoot some pony in the face. Speaking of guns, where was his rifle? Matt was pretty sure he left it in the bottom of the bag. He made a mental note to ask Twilight about this later. Lastly, Matt looked into his laptop bag and pulled out his iPod touch and some headphones.

Matt whistled for rocky, who quickly padded down the stairs and sat next to Matt. Rocky was very well behaved so Matt could walk him around without a leash. Matt called goodbye to Twilight and Spike and then walked out the front door into the bright sunlight. After walking for about twenty minutes, Matt came across the large clearing with the red schoolhouse resting upon one of the larger hills.

Matt walked over to another hill a small distance away and then laid down onto the soft grass, Rocky sat down on his rear to look around for predators. After deeming that it was safe, Rocky laid down next to Matt, who then began to scratch Rocky behind his ears. For some time, Matt only listened to the birds chirping and felt the wind breaking on his face, his mind completely blank. After hearing some voices, Matt opened his eyes and sat up.

Moving up to the schoolhouse, were about fifteen different pastel colored ponies. Each of these ponies was about half the size of all the ones Matt had seen in town, and since they were going to a schoolhouse, he concluded that these must be children. Or rather, foals.

Several of the foals looked up to the hill that Matt was sitting on, but then continued to to trot up into the schoolhouse. After all of the foals had gone inside of the schoolhouse, Matt checked the time, 8:00, and then began to relax some more. However, he felt uneasy simply resting there and sat back up to look at the schoolhouse. When he turned his head to the window facing him, several sets of eyes quickly backed away from sight. Matt laughed softly, he could understand their wonder at himself but still found it amusing for them to back away so quickly.

Matt snapped his fingers to signal that Rocky could go off on his own. At the snapping, Rocky got up from his position and began running around and sniffed every single tree, bush, and even animals that got near him. Afterwards Rocky began running around everywhere.

Matt chuckled, then pulled out his iPod and selected his Beethoven playlist. He usually was not into this kind of music, but he did listen to it when he needed some mental clarity.

Where am I?

Matt thought. He had no answer, no information at all to answer this question. The place was very different, yet very similar to his home. There were rabbits, birds, marigolds, and countless other similarities. Course there are many differences, the primary ones being magic and talking, multicolored, multi-species, talking ponies.This was clearly an undiscovered species, but the ponies had not seen anything like Matt before. He would ask Twilight this later.

Why am I here?

Again, this was a dead end. Nothing pointed as to why he was here, whether the reason was benevolent, or malicious.

How did I get here?

Matt was camping in the middle of a forest after running from the Russian forces, hence his suspicions of a Russian experiment when he was found. The forest that he woke up to was very different, at least from what he saw, to the one he had set up camp inside. It was also very dangerous, having being attacked by a manticore mere hours after waking up. Perhaps this forest was unique in its 'magic' that these ponies had embraced.

How do I get back home?

Matt thought this one through quite a bit. He had absolutely no clue as to the process of arriving here. He fell asleep in the forest, and then woke up to this place. In the back of Matt's mind, he thought that it would not work the same way backwards. Then again, what awaited him when he got back? Would the forest he slept in be captured? What happened directly after the Paris attack? And what would he do? All he could do was wait, and ask many questions. Again, Twilight seemed to be the type who would know most of this information.

Matt ran through these questions for hours, trying to process his possible solutions. Matt opened his eyes after a cold, wet tongue was licked across his forehead. Matt smiled, and got up from his seat on the hill and began petting Rocky. Matt checked the time, about 2:30 and realized that he had been meditating for hours. He turned off his Beethoven playlist and pocketed the iPod touch. Matt reached into his bag and scooped up the tennis ball and ran over the hill where he was resting upon to a more flat area.

Matt smiled, and threw the tennis ball across the field, bouncing off of several rocks. Rocky went sprinting after it, biting the ball in midair and then returned it to his master. After repeating this for about a half hour, Matt felt uneasy.

*SNAP*

Matt whirled around, and three small foals yelped in surprise. Matt raised an eyebrow at them, and began to watch what they would do next. One of the foals was a yellowish color with a reddish mane and a bow. The second, a white unicorn, had a light pink and purple mane done in a style. And the last one, an orange pegasus, had a purple mane in a loose style. Each of them continued to cower behind the cover of the hill. Matt sighed.

"Don't sneak up on me like that you three, I really do not like surprises. You don't have to hide from me you know." Matt said softly.

The foals peeked up from over the hill, and slowly pulled themselves into full view. They began to approach Matt, and Rocky who was sitting at his master's side, studying the foals with curiosity. The yellow pony with the bow spoke up nervously.

"Who are you?" She asked with a noticeable southern accent.

"My name is Matt, and this here is Rocky." Matt replied, scratching his dog's head. "And who are you three?"

"I'm Applebloom!"

"I'm Scootaloo!"

"And I'm Sweetie Belle!"

"And we are THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!" They all chanted at once, Rocky barked to emphasize the point. Matt put on a smile, and a face of confusion.

"The Cutie Mark Crusaders huh? Forgive me for being ignorant but what exactly is a cutie mark?" Matt asked.

The three foals likewise put on a confused face.

"You...you don't know what a cutie mark is?" Scootaloo asked.

Matt shook his head. "Nope, to be honest I don't know half the stuff from around here. And I am sure that you have no idea what I am or where I am from either. So what is a cutie mark?"

Sweetie Belle spoke up. "A cutie mark appears on a pony's flank when he or she discovers their special talent! As you can see, none of us have our cutie marks yet. So that is why we created THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!" They said the last part all together, and Rocky barked again.

"So a cutie mark is some sort of picture on their rear to show what they are good at? I was wondering what those weird tattoos were that I saw on nearly every pony that I had seen."

"So what are ya? Do you have a cutie mark?" Asked Applebloom.

"Well I am a human. I am an omnivore, I stand on two legs, and I am sentient, as you can tell. And no, humans don't get cutie marks. The closest to us getting one would be if we got a tattoo by having ink punched into our skin. Hurts quite a bit actually."

"Whats an omnivore?" Asked Scootaloo.

"I think an omnivore is something that eats meat and plants." Said Sweetie Belle.

"Wait a second, you eat meat?" Applebloom asked Matt.

Matt nodded. "We do eat meat, but we are able to survive without eating meat if we so wished. Many people from where I come from have chosen to become vegetarians, so that they only eat fruits, vegetables, wheat, and the like. Don't worry though" Matt said to the now shocked fillies. "I wont eat meat as long as I am here, I sorta figured out that you are all herbivores." The faces relaxed.

*BARK*

Matt smiled, Rocky had been waiting for attention for a few minutes now and had enough of the group ignoring him. The three young ponies looked at the dog and then back to Matt, who nodded. Rocky was about a full foot taller than the small ponies, but he laid down on the ground as the three fillies began to play with Rocky.

"You three wanna play fetch with him?" Matt asked, holding up the now dirty tennis ball. The three fillies each nodded eagerly. Applebloom took the ball in her mouth, threw it up into the air, then spun around and bucked it across the clearing. When Rocky returned, Sweetie Belle took the ball with her telekinesis and flung the ball down the clearing as well. Scootaloo used a different style however. She picked up the ball and flung it onto her back, where she balanced it with one of her small wings. She found a nearby stick and picked it up with her mouth. She flicked the ball from her back with her wing and swung the stick across, hitting the ball.

*Thud*

The tennis ball was smacked clear across the clearing, landing in the surrounding woods where it quickly disappeared into the foliage. Rocky whimpered.

"Uh, sorry about that" Scootaloo said with a sheepish smile.

Matt laughed. "Don't be. I brought another ball for Rocky here anyway. Besides, that was a good hit."

"Thanks"

Sweetie Belle started. "Oh no! I forgot I needed to help Rarity with a dress today! I got to go girls, it was nice to meet you Matt!" Sweetie Belle then galloped down the path and quickly out of sight.

"Ah have to go too, big sis says that I can help with apple bucking today!" Applebloom said.

"Can I come with you? I wanna try to practice flying by jumping off of the trees." Scootaloo asked Applebloom, who nodded.

"Nice to meet you Matt!" The two fillies called as they galloped away.

"Likewise!" Matt called after them.

After getting a last view of the clearing, Matt decided that he had been there for enough time and began walking back down the path. Walking slowly, Matt eventually made it back to town where ponies were going about their business. The ponies generally accepted his prescience, like this was not the strangest thing that had happened to them. Of course, there was the occasional glance at him when Matt was not looking.

"GET YOUR CUPCAKES RIGHT HERE FOLKS! THE PINKIE SPECIAL!" Shouted a voice, that Matt recognized as Pinkie Pie.

Matt glanced to where he heard Pinkie's voice, and easily saw her at the stand on account of her hot pink coat and puffy mane. Matt shrugged and walked over, he might as well try a cupcake.

"What's going on Pinkie?" Matt asked casually.

Pinkie looked at him and grinned wide.

"Only selling my brand new, extra-delicious, extra-fabulous, super sugary PINKIECAKES!" She said to Matt.

Matt quickly realized that he had no money with him, only a few dollars in American cash. He was about to say so when Pinkie shushed him.

"Don't you worry you're silly little head about it, HERE!" Pinkie tossed a pastry into Matt's hands. "I still owe you from helping me in the kitchen a few days ago, so this one is on the house!" Pinkie said with a smile.

"Gee, thanks Pink." Matt said. He took a look at the pastry in his hand. It appeared to be a huge, full pound cupcake with about three times more frosting then there was actual cake. It was all a hot pink color with the top covered in rainbow sprinkles.

"This looks like diabetes in a bite..." Matt muttered, which Pinkie didn't hear.

"Well? Aren't you going to try it?" Pinkie asked with an expectant look on her face.

Matt hesitated for a moment, but then took a moderate bite of the huge cupcake and nearly gagged trying to suppress the sugar.

"Phew, there is too much cake in this sugar." Matt said laughing, Pinkie took it seriously however.

"REALLY!?! Well then back to the kitchen with me!" She shouted, packing up the stand and cupcakes in mere seconds then disappearing in a puffy pink cloud.

Matt was left there stunned, with his pointer finger in the air, as if he was going to say something, but he promptly put it back down. He decided that he should head back to Twilight's home to begin the questions, since the sun was beginning to set over the horizon.

No sooner had he taken ten steps, a mint-green unicorn crossed his path and stared, thunderstruck at Matt.

"Umm.....hi?" Matt said nervously. The unicorn's eyes widened with awe and wonder. Suddenly, she squealed in excitement and quickly galloped over to where Matt stood. The green unicorn circled around him many times, lifting his arms, touching his legs, and studying his face. Then she squealed again and sprinted down the street without saying a word. Several bystanders sighed and rolled their eyes.

"You might wanna try and avoid her dude." Said an ice-blue earth pony to Matt. "She is kinda crazy about your kind. Says she has dreamed of them for years, but none of us believed it. Now that she has seen you she will be on your trail."

"Thanks for the tip." Matt said to the pony, who nodded and then continued on with his business.

After walking for a few more minutes, Matt finally came across Twilight's home and made his way inside. Twilight looked up from her desk as soon as he shut the door.

"You have been gone for quite a while, been thinking?" She asked, Matt nodded.

"Alright, so what do you want to know?" Matt asked Twilight.

"Well, my primary focus is on your technology and the lifestyle of your kind. Would you please gather your bag and meet me here? I need to get some paper and quills." Matt nodded, then made his way into the room. Again, he could not find his rifle. After making his way back into the library, Matt sat on a chair and prepared to ask, and be asked.

"Before we start, do you know where my rifle is?" Matt asked.

"So that is what it is called? Was it the long, black metal thing?" Twilight asked. Matt nodded.

"That's the one"

"Spike!" Twilight called. "Go and grab Matt's rifle! the thing you hid in the bushes!"

"Okay, be right back!" Spike called from the back room. Matt looked at Twilight with a questioning stare, when he was about to say something, Twilight cut him off.

"Princess Luna informed me from your dream, that the 'rifle' as you call it was a weapon of some kind. So we hid it in case you had a violent reaction to the news. I kinda forgot about your smaller weapon however..." She said the last part with a sheepish smile.

"It's alright." Matt opened his bag, and spread out all of his stuff, excluding clothes, all over the rug. There was a M-9 pistol, a flashlight, laptop, iPod touch, phone, headset and a small set of speakers, and the large solar powered battery Matt had made himself. "So what first?" Matt asked.

Twilight took a moment to gape at the objects that adorned the rug, but finally snapped her attention to his laptop.

"What is this? I forgot the name earlier, and you did not tell me how it works, or what it does exactly."

Matt smiled and picked up the laptop. He powered it on and placed it facing Twilight on the floor. The Windows logo appeared for a moment then transferred to the log in screen. Matt opened up his profile. He chuckled at the sight of Twilight, whose mouth was so agape that small beads of drool were falling out of her mouth.

"Uhhh, Twilight? I would appreciate it if you did not drool on my laptop."

Twilight started, then broke out into a blush.

"S...sorry about that." She stammered.

"No problem. Anyway, this is a laptop. Think of it as an artists flip-book, that has tons of different flip-books. This device essentially takes those pictures and plays them instantly, though it is much more complicated than that. There is a very thin piece of material board, called silicon, on the inside of this..." Matt said, tapping on the bottom of the laptop. "...That directs the entire device. I honestly do not know exactly how it works, but I will give it my best shot. I can move this mouse around, like this, and press this button to get a certain task done." Matt pulled up Microsoft word. "This function here, allows me to type words onto a piece of virtual paper, and erase mistakes, using this keyboard here." Matt demonstrated by typing Twilight's name on the document, then backspacing.

"Then when you are done with it, you print it out with a printer, which you do not have here so this is pretty much useless here. But this does many other things than that, it can play music, play movies, and do all kinds of other stuff. In fact, many humans had worked together and created something called the internet, which everyone can use to communicate, have fun, and exchange information."

Twilight had been furiously writing this down the entire time, constantly dipping her quill in the ink and writing every word he spoke right down to the second. Then Twilight asked a question.

"But what were you doing yesterday with that?"

"Oh, that is one of my favorite video games, we also use computers for entertainment purposes."

"I see, well, I would love to see more of this but there are plenty of other items that I must note. So let us go on." She pointed her hoof to his iPod. Matt picked it up.

"This right here, is called an iPod. This is almost like a much smaller version of my laptop, but does not have some of the things the laptop has and vice-versa. The primary function of this is to store and play music, while being able to keep it with you much easier." Matt demonstrated this by picking a classical song and using the speakers, played it for a few minutes, to which Twilight listened intently. Matt turned off the music. "I have plenty of other songs on this, mostly rock, techno and things like that. But this also can play different styles of games. Like this game here." Matt opened up Tilt to Live, and began tilting the iPod, to which the arrow responded by moving in that direction. Matt then closed up the app and placed it back on the floor.

"You know, you ought to show that thing to a pony in town named Vinyl Scratch, she would love it." Twilight said to Matt, as she continued to write notes.

"I have a question, how were you able to kill that Manticore in the forest, while you were crippled?" Twilight asked. "Was it that rifle? What does it do exactly? And why do you have it?"

Matt sighed. "Yes, the rifle is what I used to kill the Manticore. What it does, along with my pistol here, it fires lead at whatever it is pointing at in super high speeds. This is a weapon, designed to kill." Matt said, Twilight had a horrified look on her face.

"But...why did you have it in the first place...?" She asked.

Matt sighed again. "I would prefer not to talk about it, but I was not killing in cold blood. More like running for my life. Just leave it at that please..." Twilight got over her horror, and nodded.

"So, what does this do?..."

After spending about another hour explaining all of his stuff, from the battery to his small flashlight, Twilight began asking some questions about everyday human life, and his home's geography.

"Before I ask about your life, I would like to see the geography of where you are from. Do you have any references with you?" She asked.

"Uhhh, I might have a world map, but no national maps. Here." Matt reached into his bag and pulled out a moderately sized political world map, and handed it to Twilight.

"Mind if you tell me where I am? Like where we currently are on this map?" Matt asked.

Twilight studied hard at the map the floated in front of her, then shook her head.

"I have never seen this before, are you sure it is a world map?"

"Positive. Do you have a world map I could see?"

Twilight nodded, then floated over another map. Matt unraveled it, and was greeted by a landmass that took up the center of the map. Matt thought it looked similar to pangea, but there were some differences to the position and shape of the land. The entire landmass was surrounded by a huge ocean, which was labelled, 'Ocean of Harmony' and had subsections in certain areas near the land.

Cheesy name, but that is beside the point. Where the hell am I exactly? Well I can't be too surprised, after all, physics is treated like a joke here.

Matt shook his head. "Well this just confirms it, I have been transported, for whatever reason, here, in what seems like a different dimension."

Twilight slowly nodded her head. "It would seem so. Well I will make a note of that to the princess. But before that, could you tell me where you live on here?" Twilight asked, pointing to Matt's map.

Matt leaned over and pointed on the U.S.A

"Right there, The United States of America"

Twilight wrote this down. "Could you tell me about who leads your kind?"

"Well" Matt scratched his chin. "My home country works under a system of democracy. Essentially, every four years, every citizen of my country has a right to vote for our next leader, who we call the president. He is known as the head of the country, but there are other groups, like the congress, that makes laws and preforms other duties among other things. Trust me, we work things out in a really confusing and tedious way, so I won't explain it all. But not all countries are under the same system we use. I can assume that you live under a monarchy, am I right?"

Twilight nodded, still writing notes.

"Well" Matt continued "There are not many absolute monarchy's left in my world, but there are still many constitutional monarchy's. These are countries that have a royal family, King, Queen, prince, and all of the like. They have a lot of influence, but have no actual power. One such example is the United Kingdom." Matt pointed on the respective country. "Unfortunately, many other countries have embraced much more...critical government. A good example is North Korea here. This country is a tyranny, which has a single leader that has taken power using ruthless ways. Often killing or maiming others in order to gain power. Many other countries, mine included, frown upon this style and try to take action against it."

"What!? That's terrible!" Exclaimed Twilight.

Mitt sighed, then said. "Our race can be very...violent. While in the early years of our race, war was very commonplace. But for years, war had not happened. Of course, there was tension between the countries for years, but no direct contact between the powers had erupted. But...all things must come to an end at some point..." Matt trailed off, and had a forlorn look on his face.

"It sounds like you come from a troubled world" Twilight said with a concerned look, while she was still writing notes.

"You don't know half of it..." Matt mumbled quietly to himself.

"What was that?"

"Nothing"

Twilight put away her paper and quills. "Well, I think that is enough for one night. Would you mind if I invite my friends over tomorrow? That way you can get to know them, and vice-versa."

"Sure" Matt said as he gathered up all of his stuff into the bag. "Well, I am going to sleep, goodnight Twilight."

"Goodnight!"

As Matt shut the door, Twilight wrote invitations to the rest of the bearers and sent them via Spike's flame.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt flopped into bed needing a long rest. Today was rather eventful, and Matt also forgot to ask Twilight about the strange green unicorn that had studied him earlier.

But Matt would not get rest this night...


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt flopped off of the ladder, and landed in thick water. He could not see, as the entire tunnel was darkened.

"Lights on boys, I hope to get out of here alive, and with our noses not smashed up against our faces." Said Richards, turning on his light. Matt reached into his bag, and pulled out his small pocket flashlight and tucked it into his vest, so wherever he turned, he could see there. Lights started flickering on from the other solders in the company. Matt looked down at his feet and saw the sludgy water running over his 'borrowed' boots.

"Ugh, smells like shit down here..." One trooper commented.

"Larry shut your ass up or I will make you scoop some up into your helmet." Richards said to the solder, who quickly stopped talking.

Matt looked around himself and whistled Rocky to his side, then he found the woman and Matt beckoned her to get behind Matt. Taking a quick look around, the tunnel looked like a labyrinth.

"So what first sarge?" Matt asked Richards. "And where are the french? Are there any among us who know the tunnel system.?"

Richards shook his head. "Nope, we got separated from the rest of the forces. We were equipped to handle some riots, or even a few paratroopers. But not an entire army. The wedged us apart like a hot knife through butter. We eventually made it to your street and had the skirmish there. By the way, were you the one providing sniper cover?"

Matt nodded.

"You always were one of the best shots in our company. You pretty much saved our entire team by taking out that gunner. Nick here almost shit his pants when that one commie knocked him down, then his head exploded." Nick, who was nearby, began laughing nervously.

"Glad to help"

Richards turned to the remainder of the company. "Alright men! Keep your eyes peeled. We need to get out of here and I am sure that these communist bastards have set up some traps for us while we try and escape. Keep to the walls and listen for any foreign noises and voices. I want to live to fight another day, not die in some god-forsaken shit-hole like this."

"Yes sir!" The company said, in a quieted volume.

The company began walking, the water splashing lightly as they marched through the stagnant liquid. There were constant noises of rats squeaking, roaches skittering around, water drainage pipes dumping liquid, and other noises one would expect from being in a sewer of feces, vomiting.

Matt turned to see the woman behind him heaving up whatever was left of last night's dinner, vomiting and heaving for about thirty seconds. Matt stooped down when she was done and helped her back up to her feat.

"Come on, we are almost there. Just a little bit longer to put up with this damn tunnel." The woman nodded, still saying nothing.

After countless time of walking, Matt began to count all the rats that would pass by. The rats would quickly scurry away whenever they got close, as expected. However, Matt had not seen any rats in several minutes, and down here, rats were a very common sight.

"Stop now!" Matt quietly ordered to the company, who stood there looking at Matt in confusion. Matt ignored them.

"Matt what the hell is going on?" Richards asked Matt, who shushed him quickly.

Matt listened for the noises of the sewer, for any noises that would be a reason of rats population. There was nothing, no noises, rats, and in fact, very few cockroaches adorned the walls and ceiling.

"Too quiet..." Matt thought.

His blood froze and his heart skipped a beat.

*Ding*

"EVERYONE GET DOWN!" Matt screamed to the group, which most followed his order. Matt shoved the woman down into the sludge.

A white flash exploded from a point in the middle of the room. Matt fell backwards on his rear as he tried to get his bearings. His ears ringing and being partially blind for a moment. When his vision finally cleared, he saw a group of Russian solders barreling through the small bypass tunnels into the larger tunnel that the company was traveling in. Nearly all of the solders who did not move in confusion at Matt's command were killed instantly, save for two. Each of them pulled out a knife and a pistol and began firing blindly at the solders, which felled several of them. After the guns clicked, the went on a blood-rage and started hacking and slashing at any Russian that would get close enough. This bought Matt and the company time to recover from the blast. Eventually however, the Russians put a bullet inside of each of the American's heads, to which their bodies dropped into the sludge. But the time bought was enough to allow Matt and the rest of the company to stand and fire back.

Matt raised his M-16 and began holding off the waves upon waves of Russians coming from the surrounding maintenance tunnels. The Americans, slowly but surely, began losing numbers, as whenever and enemy was killed, two more would replace it. Nick, who was next to Matt, had his chest pumped full of lead. Nick staggered, but got back up to his feet and smiled. He coughed up blood and stained his teeth in the crimson liquid, then pulled the pins on his grenade belt than used his last bit of energy to charge at the Russians. The sudden drop in enemy numbers gave the men a chance to reload. Rocky was doing his part by taking down an enemy that popped up right behind Matt. But this was not enough, the Russians eventually got within melee distance and Matt was forced to pull his pistol and knife.

It was a total bloodbath on both sides, men died nearly every second on both sides. When Matt's gun clicked, he pulled out his second knife and began hacking at the red forces. Glancing to his right, he saw Richards was busy engaging an enemy with his fists, dodging and dealing blows back and forth. Larry was shot down from behind, to which he got behind Larry's killer, and stabbed him through the back. Another solder charged Matt, and drew a red arc on the side of Matt's face with his knife. Matt quickly killed the man.

This continued for several minutes, until only Matt, Richards, Rocky, and the woman were left alive. Richards got behind his assailant and snapped his neck, killing the last Russian solder. Bodies were everywhere, blood flowed into the water and ran like a river down the tunnels. Matt walked over to the woman, who was still laying in the water, and pulled her to her feet. She was crying, her tears leaving tracks on her once clean face. Matt held her for a long time, until she finally choked her tears down and sat on a stone.

"War is an evil, cold-hearted bitch..." Richards muttered. Matt slowly nodded, then began to scavenge around for ammunition for his weapons, along with a few grenades.

*Splash*

*Click*...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Matt! Matt wake up!" Twilight yelled, trying to shake Matt awake. He had been screaming and yelling for about ten minutes, and Twilight was desperate to rouse Matt from his dream.

Matt suddenly shot his eyes open, yelled, and quickly sat up, hyper-ventilating.

"Matt! Are you okay!?!?" Twilight asked, worry evident on her face.

"They...they were everywhere..." Matt said.

"Who?"


The clicking came from behind Matt's head, he knew this was the end.

*Bang*

Suddenly, Matt heard a splashing from behind him. He turned, and saw the body of a Russian laying face-down in the water. Matt looked up and saw the woman holding the M-16 rifle up, the barrel smoking.

Matt smiled. "Nice shot..." Matt trailed off, his face had a look of absolute horror...


"They did not stop, they killed us all. They were ruthless..."

"Who was?" Twilight asked.

"The...the Russians"


There was a glint of light next to the woman's head, the silver revolver moved through the air, reflecting the little light that was in the sewers.

There was a flash of light that illuminated the tunnel for an instant. The woman's body fell into the water, blood streaming from her head into the rotten waters...


Matt began crying and made his way to his nightstand. He picked up the diamond ring and began staring into it. Twilight watched from the side in confusion.

"She...she did not make it. The bastards killed her right in front of me..."

Twilight realized with a start, that Matt's special somepony, had died in the episode that Matt had tried to explain to her. She walked closer to Matt and asked.

"What was her name?"

Matt sniffed again. "Her name...her name was..."


"REBECCA!" Matt screamed...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note

Sorry about how long this chapter took. I had some personal problems here at home and I had very little access to any computers. But now that episode is mostly over so I should be able to write more often.