• Published 17th Jun 2013
  • 938 Views, 32 Comments

A Means to an End - Vanguard_Of_The_Night



Celestia must overcome her dark past to face a old evil threatening Equestria. Will she be able to overcome what she has lost? Will she be able to fight for a brighter day?

  • ...
2
 32
 938

Verum In Obscuro

A Means to an End
By Vanguard_Of_The_Night
Chapter 3: Verum In Obscuro

Celestia’s eyes were assaulted by the morning rays of the sun, as her eyelids slowly parted. She felt warm from the sun, but cold under the sheets of her bed. Luna and Twilight must have placed her there after I fainted, Celestia thought. The confrontation of the night before, still fresh in her mind, caused her to shiver with discontent. She knew there was no way to escape him now, and there was no way to escape the inquiries of her sister either. Luna had even gone so far as to bring Twilight Sparkle to Canterlot. Celestia bit her lip, which was a foalhood habit she used when was deep in meditation to gather her thoughts. From the look of the sun in the sky, Celestia had assumed that Luna had taken over her morning duties due to the circumstances. This meant that she was either at day court, or she was waiting for her to wake up. Twilight Sparkle was probably wherever Luna happened to be.

She decided that nothing could be accomplished merely laying in bed. She took in a deep breath before attempting to leave the comfortable solace of her silk sheets, and she groggily arose with great dejection. After she worked through her morning routine, she donned her royal garb, which was placed in her top dresser drawer. After she was fully ready to leave the confines of her room, she noticed a letter lying on the floor in front of her door. She walked over to the letter, picked it up, and opened it. She noticed right away this was the same brand of parchment that Twilight uses; however, the hoofwriting was clearly her sisters’. The letters were formed in a more olden calligraphy than the more modern formal writing that Twilight used.

Sister,

I know your hiding something from me, and I know that it has to do with Nephilim. I thought that by going to the memorial in the alcove it would help you face your problems, but maybe I was wrong. Maybe I made this worse. If this is my fault I am sorry! I just want you to talk to me about this. Tell me what’s going on. Please sister! I had Twilight come to Canterlot in hope that she could help convince you. I also think it’s time she knows the truth of the Alicorns. Why there are so few, and why the Everfree forest maintains itself, even though it exists in chaos. I have cancelled day and night court for the next three days. This will give us more than enough time to talk, and I hope enough time to help bear some of your burden. We will be waiting at the alcove until you arrive. I love you sister.

Luna

The tear drops that stained the letter revealed the troubled heart of her sister. Celestia knew that, even though she did not desire to talk about the past or the present, she must divulge her heart without restriction. She placed the letter on her night stand with her magic, and then left her room for the alcove. She slowly walked along the halls of the castle that lead to the castle garden, while trying to avoid all others. She did not desire to have others inquire about why court was not being held, if she and her sister were okay, or why Twilight was summoned here. By the convoluted path she took, she had hoped to avoid all other, however, that was not to be allowed by fate. Just before entering the Canterlot castle garden she happened upon a certain unicorn secretary who looked quite concerned. “Princess…” Quick Note stated, with quite a forlorn expression.

“Yes my little pony?” Celestia replied.

“You are about to reveal everything to your sister and Twilight about Nephilim aren’t you,” inquired the secretary.

“Yes I am Quick Note. They will now know the full story. No matter how painful I may find it they must know now.”

“But Celestia! You created me to protect your emotions! You created me to keep you on track for the prosperity of Equestria! Why would you destroy those walls now? Am I of no use to you anymore?”

“When I lost my sister I needed a companion to talk to as an equal. I needed a friend, and not a subject. You have given me that all these years. Of course you were formal in front of others, but the informal relationship we had will never be thrown away. And I know that it concerns you that I might change your image again to prevent inquiries to your age, but I see no point to that now.”

“So what will come of me? Shall I wait for your return my princess?”

“Until this has been resolved you shall sleep. I need all of my power for what is to come.”

“I understand. If the power that sustains me is with you, then it is like we are fighting together.”

“Yes my little pony. We will fight with our friendship.”

Celestia smiled at Quick Note, as the auburn haired secretary faded from existence, and the power which sustained her returned to Celestia. A tear struggled to fall from Celestia’s eyes, but she would not allow it. Now was not the time for tears. Now she had to face her fears, which rested in the faces of her sibling and student. She must answer for what she had done all those years ago. Celestia finally made her way to the gardens. She took no time to gaze at the flowers or the statues. She straightway went to the entrance of the alcove. Down that path she knew her fear awaited her. Her fear of her past being laid open in front of others, like an infected cyst before a doctor’s scalpel, gripped at her heart, as she began to walk down the path. She could not admire the beauty that surrounded her. Her mind was solely focused on resigning herself to the truth.

The path ended at the opening of the alcove, and, in that sacred niche of the gardens, she found two ponies who sought answers. Luna stood next to Twilight in the midst of the pedestals. Both of them shared a concerned and questionable look. Neither of them chose to wear their royal ensemble for the meeting, for they knew that this was a private matter between family and friends. Twilight almost looked light a little sister for Luna. She grew into a more mature mare since she was sent to Ponyville all that time ago. Her violet hair with the pink strip was longer than it used to be. She held herself like a confident full grown mare would, not like the young mare who saw herself only as Princess Celestia’s finest student. Now, she stood there with searching eyes. Concern and worry written on her face. “Are you feeling better Princess?” Twilight stated.

“No, Twilight. I am not, but I do appreciate your concern,” replied Celestia. Her face was stoic for a moment, but relaxed to relieve her former student’s distress. Twilight could never hide what she felt. Celestia jokingly would tell her, when she was younger, that her face was like an open book. “We asked you here because we had questions. Questions you have been avoiding. We know that it is hard for you to answer them, but you must. If you will not allow us to help you, then you will be consumed by this darkness that assaults you in our absence.”

“Luna has given me an idea about what has been going on, but has left most of it out so that you could tell me yourself. I know that I have just became a Princess, so I don’t really see myself as your equal, but I do see you as my mentor and friend. Please Princess tell me what’s going on?” Twilight pleaded. The look on Twilight’s face left Celestia defenseless. Her words and manner of expression grasped at her heart, and would not allow her to hold back any longer.

“I will explain what has been going on. However, this story would be best told from the beginning, and I must warn you that it is a very long one,” sighed Celestia. Both Luna and Twilight looked at one another glad they convinced her to talk, but worried all the same. Even Luna who knew the most between the two was in the dark about some things. Celestia was never one to reveal everything about herself. “The beginning… yes… it was well over a thousand years ago. Far before Luna was banished to the moon, and before King Sombra came into power in the Crystal Empire. This was when Alicorns were in complete control of the world. There was a total of seven of us then, and our mission was to maintain peace and harmony in the world.” Celestia began.

“Wait! There were more Alicorns? And where does Discord come into all this? And-” Celestia raised her hoof to signify Twilight to be silent. “I will explain this. All of it. Just give me time.” Celestia posed. Twilight sunk back into a comfortable position slightly embarrassed. “This Twilight is even before our original battle with Discord. This Twilight is before Equestria. This is before Luna and I were even princesses. Now I know that may seem hard to imagine, but Luna and I are immortal. We cannot die by conventional means. And yes I know what you’re about to ask. Why are you and Cadence not immortal as well? That is because you were made Alicorns. You were not born Alicorns. There is a distinct difference. Unfortunately for me and my sister we are relicts of ages gone by. There are no more Alicorns like us anymore. You and Cadence are the new era of leadership in Equestria.” Celestia stated rather resolved.

“Princess… I didn’t know,” whispered Twilight.

“It is all right my little pony. It merely is the truth. Both Luna and I have become accustom to this truth.” Celestia replied. Luna momentarily let an expression of sadness fall across her face like a veil, then, as quickly as it came, it was gone. “Now back to what I was saying previously. This was before Equestria. Before everything you know. We as Alicorns ruled over the world to bring peace and harmony to all. The other besides Luna and myself were Chronus the Prince of Time, Atlas the Prince of the Earth, Aura the Princess of the Waters, Anthracia the Princess of the Wind, and Nephilim the Prince of the Wild. Anthracia was the oldest of us all, and was very much like a mother to us. She was the one who bent magic to her will. She taught us all the ways of magic. Chronus controlled time. It was a solemn job, but he loved it. He was very generous with the time he gave to others. He and Anthracia were mates, and they lead us down the path of harmony.

“Atlas was strong and had a hearty spirit about him. He was always laughing, and he worked hard so that the land was fertile for the people. Aura was very young and tender hearted. She was shy but still was kind, and made her waters safe for all those who traveled across them. I was very young then and grew very close with Aura. She always did complement me on how honest I was. It was kind of embarrassing then. Luna also spent a lot of time with Aura, and, of course, me. She was very loyal to all of us and the people. Finally, there was Nephilim. He did not associate with us very much. He was very much a pony of solitude. He did not seem to be bad… just… introverted. As the Master of the Wild, he was very much mysterious, and that Twilight was my undoing.”

“Your undoing? I don’t quite understand what you mean Princess,” expressed Twilight. “How could his personality be your undoing?”

With a small sad smile on her face, Celestia continued, “I fell in love with him Twilight. I found myself spending more and more time with him. Though I never saw the darkness in his heart. He had begun to create what we now know as Dark Magic. He was the founder of necromancy and several other dark arts. And all of these he used to try and over throw us. He attacked the capital first when we were all out in surrounding towns, and quickly conquered it, and put up a barrier that not one of us could penetrate. Well, everyone but me. I secretly went and saw him. So that I might know for myself his reasons. Then he told me that he wanted to rule to world. That the whole world would become wild just like the woods he lived in. In that moment I saw that his heart was truly black, and that all the while he had been using me for one purpose. I left that night, and told everything to the others.”

A small tear fell from Celestia’s eyes as she stuttered to speak of the greatest scar on her heart. Twilight and Luna drew closer to her and nuzzled her slightly in support. Celestia dried her tears on trudged on through the miry clay of her pain stricken past. “I told them his plan. I told them of our… relationship, and that I… that I…was… I was pregnant with his child. He just used me to create an heir to his throne once he overthrown us,” whimpered Celestia, who began to cry uncontrollably. She thought that she could make it through. That when she had dried her tears before she would be fine, but merely acknowledging the truth broke open the millennia old dam that prevented her from healing. She held herself, while Luna and Twilight hugged her till she felt comfortable again to speak. Ten minutes went by before she regained her composure to move forward. However, she knew the worst was not over yet. “They were not mad with me. They all supported me, and showed me love. It was then I knew that I couldn’t live without them. They were all my family. It was then we decided on a plan to deal with Nephilim. We forged the original Elements of Harmony.”

“I was the Element of Honesty, Luna was the Element of Loyalty, Chronus was the Element of Generosity, Atlas was the Element of Laughter, Aura was the Element of Kindness, and Anthracia was the Element of Magic. Together we forged a bond, and the most powerful weapon on the side of Harmony, and the Elements we bore were bound to our very lives. However, the powers that Nephilim had amassed in his creation of Dark Magic had given him strength that surpassed any one of us. We broke through his barrier, and marched on his castle. However, he was waiting for us, and he was well prepared. In the end, his darkness was so powerful, that it cost the lives of all the Alicorn saved mine and Luna’s. The Elements dissolved after he was defeated, it was some time before the new Elements were discovered, though that is a story all on its own. The battle we waged even cost the life of my unborn foal, who I was going to name Ragnarok when he was born.” Celestia stated. She paused here for a moment, and pondered on what she had revealed to Twilight. She had just bared all to her former student. Insecurity swept over her, but was staved off by the embrace of her student and the kind eyes of her sister.

“I’m so sorry Princess! I had no idea!” exclaimed Twilight.

“Thank you for your kindness Twilight. You are not just my former student, but I also consider you a friend. Just like Luna does. You needed to know, and it kind of feels good to get it off my chest finally.” Celestia stated. Now that the past had been revealed, she needed to reveal the present, so that her sister and Twilight was well aware of Nephilim’s return.

“Now Nephilim has awoken, and broke himself free from the seal placed upon him. I do not know the fullness of his plans, but I am sure it includes the destruction of Equestria as we know it. I’m sure he wishes to torture me until my mind breaks, and I am no source of pleasure for him anymore. He has been torturing me in my dreams. Even during my normal daily routine I have been hearing his voice. He has taken every opportunity to berate me about the past. However, I will not stand for it anymore.”
“What do you mean Princess?” Twilight stated.

“Because I am prepared to face him myself. I started this millennia ago. I will stop it.” Celestia proclaimed with renewed resolve.

“You can’t do this alone!” Luna exclaimed. “You need us by your side when you face him!”

“No. I need you here. I need you to take care of Equestria after I leave. I don’t know if I will come back. However, I can tell you that Nephilim will fall by my will, and mine alone.”

Twilight and Luna attempted to reason with Celestia, but to no avail. Celestia knew in her heart she must do this on her own. Celestia made them swear to not get involved. Luna would continue her normal routine, and Twilight would take over Celestia’s responsibilities, which included Day Court and raising the sun. After the meeting in the alcove, Celestia returned to her bedroom. She had told her sister and Twilight she would be leaving in two days, however, her hearts intent was to leave in the morning. It left a bitter taste in her mouth. She hated lying, but she knew it must be done. She laid down on her bed knowing what the next day held. I can do this, she thought to herself, as she drifted into sleep.

Chapter 3 End.

Author's Note:

I'm sorry this took so long to upload. I have been working 48 hour weeks with full-time Paramedic school, which includes clinicals. This has lead to me having very little time to work on this. I'm sorry it was on the back burner for so long. I originally wrote this a little different, but since the airing of season 4 I had to make a few minor changes. All in all, I feel great about this chapter, and where this story is going overall. I hope to hear back from everyone on this latest edition in the story. Be blessed.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment