• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 616 Views, 2 Comments

Varia Visive - journcy

  • ...
 2
 616

Unbetwixt (Shipping)

Prompt #44: “Shattered Glass”

“Rarity breaks a mirror.”


She stared down at the broken glass.

Rarity wasn't sure what had overcome her, what precisely had caused her to do what she just did. But what she did know was that she was sitting on the floor of her boutique, staring at a pile of broken glass from a mirror that she had just shattered, and feeling the sting of the small cuts running up and down her hind legs.

Although...

Perhaps it wasn't entirely fair to say she didn't know why she broke the mirror.

+ + +

Twilight Sparkle sighed in exasperation. She was beginning to get tired of the constant advances of a certain white and purple pony. While she appreciated Rarity's rather obvious feelings towards her, she also felt that she communicated quite clearly that she was not interested. She saw Rarity as a friend, nothing more.

Unfortunately, it seemed the fashionista wasn't likely to take "no" for an answer.

Twilight looked down at the bouquet of lilacs. She loved lilacs. The color, the scent--they were lovely flowers. But she wasn't so sure about these ones. She wasn't sure she liked what they meant, and of course that is the most important part of any bouquet of flowers. This was the sixth such bouquet, supposedly sent from an "anonymous admirer" in Ponyville. However, while Twilight may have been a pariah for a good long while, she could put two and two together, and her summing skills were giving her the answer of one head-over-hooves pony.

And that pony was, for better or for worse, Rarity.

+ + +

Rarity gazed forlornly at the glass for a time longer, but finally managed to force herself off the floor and over to the bathroom. She got out her bandages and began covering all the nicks from the glass.

+ + +

Two weeks since the last bouquet. Perhaps she had given up..?

Somehow, Twilight didn't think so.

+ + +

"What is it?" Rarity muttered to herself, flopping down on her bed and wincing at the pressure just a bit. "What's so wrong with me? Am I not... Not good enough?"

Things seemed bleak.

+ + +

Twilight knew that she had to confront Rarity soon. She just didn't have it in her to keep up the facade of ignorance, and she knew it would not be good for their relationship.

But would a confrontation really solve the issue? Or would it just exacerbate the situation? Could Twilight really lose her friend out of this whole mess?

Things seemed bleak.

+ + +

"Per...perhaps she really does just see me as a friend. Oh, but if only to know the mind of the focus of my infatuation!"

Rarity, having sat up, collapsed back onto her bed.

+ + +

This was it. Twilight stood in front of Carousel Boutique. She was going to confront Rarity about her feelings, and they were going to come out of it friends.

Yes.

This could not possibly go wrong.

+ + +

"I suppose--Oh, don't give me that look, Opalescence--I suppose I may have overreacted to Twilight's... Appearance... After all, she was just trying to be a good friend, and I can't really force her to return my feelings, that wouldn't be right at all..."

+ + +

She knocked on the door.

"Coming!~" Rarity sang from inside the boutique.

The door swung open.

"Oh! Twilight!" Rarity cried. "How can I help you, dear? Please, come in, come in."

+ + +

"I... I need to go talk to her, don't I, Opal?" Rarity looked at her pet.

Opalescence stared back with her usual bored expression.

+ + +

"Well, you see, Rarity..." Twilight said. "I... I've noticed... Something strange. And I thought I should talk to you about it."

"Well, what is it, darling?"

"I... It's... It's you, Rarity."

+ + +

"Yes! I simply cannot allow our friendship to die over how I feel, and how I have acted. Twilight was in the right to come to me, and I did not treat her well at all. Opal, sweetie, I'm going out."

+ + +

"Me? Whatever do you mean?"

"How... How you feel about me. I've noticed. The flowers, and the way you act around me... Am I right? Do you have... Feelings for me?"

+ + +

Rarity, in a reversal of Twilight's actions of not long ago, knocked on the door of the library.

+ + +

"I... I... Yes. Yes, I do."

"That's... What I thought. I'm sorry, Rarity, but I'm afraid I can't return those feelings. I just... I see you as a friend, and a good one, and I'm sorry, but I don't know that I could love you back."

"I... See."

Rarity looked up at Twilight, who stood in the doorway of the boutique. A tear fell from her eye. Suddenly, she blinked, and her expression grew angered.

"Then... Then what are you still doing here?! Go! Leave! At least give me the dignity of sorrow in peace!"

"I--Rarity-"

"No! Twilight, I will not hear of it. Please leave my boutique at once."

"...Okay."

Twilight turned, and was gone.

+ + +

The door of the library opened.

+ + +

Rarity screamed, and kicked out at a nearby mirror stand with her hind legs, shattering it.

+ + +

"Twilight, dear? I'm ever so sorry."