• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 2,029 Views, 163 Comments

Party Every Day - Esle Ynopemos



Pinkie Pie wants to rock and roll all night, and party every day.

  • ...
1
 163
 2,029

4: Fun While It Lasted [Sad]

((Prompt: Maybe it's better that way...))

It's really kinda silly, if you think about it.

But then again, 'silly' is the word you would use to describe the whole day in which I've lived. Born in a silly place from a silly mare who had a silly wish. Lived a silly life doing silly things. About to die taking a silly test.

Oh, I shouldn't put it like that. I'm not going to die when they send me back. I just... don't know what I am going to do instead of dying. I won't keep the memories I made today, or else I would remember the other lives I've lived. I won't keep these lovely pink hooves, or else that pond would be full of hooves of every shape and color. So if I'm not dying, but I don't get to keep anything from my life, what do I call it?

Look at her. Bless her, she's managed to convince herself she's one of us. So worried that she's lost herself and become nothing in this sea of pink. It really is obvious which one is the rea—the original Pinkie. If her friends just paid a bit of attention, they wouldn't need to do this test.

I bet I could do it, if I tried. I bet I could outlast her. It's sorely tempting. Just keep this borrowed life, keep the lessons I've learned and the memories I've formed. I've spent aeons being nothing, I could almost certainly beat this mare in a contest of patience.

Because between me and her, that's all this test really is, is patience. It's meant as a test of her love for her friends, and that might work to separate her from the rest of my sisters, but it won't sort me out. I love her friends, too.

That's silly, I know. I've only had a day with them, whereas she has had years. What makes me so special that I think I can form as close a bond in a single day?

I don't know the answer to that. I only know that the first thing I saw of this world that truly touched me was the way her friends look at her—or at who they thought was her. Just a moment's glance conveyed so much love, such concern. I saw how much they cared for her, and I found something far beyond fun.

I wanted it. In the same heartbeat that brought my first taste of love, I had my first taste of envy as well. Maybe they had been looking at me, but that look had been meant for her. She gets friends. She gets love. I get a hot bolt of magic that makes me forget my dreams and desires and love. It isn't fair.

Maybe I should try for it after all. Does she really deserve all these things, just because she was here first? Why shouldn't it be me? Why can't it be me?

Ah, but then there's her friends. The whole reason this life would be worth fighting for. Taking her place wouldn't make them love me. They would still love her, and just never know the difference. If I ever told them what I had done, they would not wrap me in teary-eyed embraces and say they forgive me. Their faces would go pale in heart-breaking horror, and I would become the Thing That Took Pinkie Away.

If I love them like I say I do, I can't do that to them. If I love them like I say I do, then I must admit that they deserve to have their Pinkie, not some imitation. Not some copy that came up with something she thinks of as profound in her one day of life and thinks that earns her a spot at their side.

If that's it, then I suppose there's no need to keep up with this farce of a test. But I may as well take a few pretenders along with me. You're a lucky pony, Pinkie Pie.

“Hey, look what I can do!”

It's been fun.

Author's Note:

Feels! Feels for the Pinkie Clone!