• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 2,029 Views, 163 Comments

Party Every Day - Esle Ynopemos



Pinkie Pie wants to rock and roll all night, and party every day.

  • ...
1
 163
 2,029

20: Petrified [Adventure] [Semi-Dark]

((Prompt: Pinkie Pie isn't laughing.))

Applejack stuck her tongue out in concentration as she kept her eyes focused on the apple on her nose. It wobbled, and she moved her head to keep it balanced. A bead of sweat formed on her brow, but she didn't dare flick it away with a hoof for fear it would tip the fruit.

The train car hit a small bump, and the apple wavered. Applejack tried to keep it centered, but it was too late. Almost in slow motion, it fell off of her nose and bounced on the floor.

“Ha!” said Rainbow Dash, still balancing an apple on her own nose. “I win!”

Applejack rolled her eyes and picked her apple off of the floor. She brushed the dust off of it and took a bite. “Yeah, yeah,” she said, nudging Rainbow in the shoulder. “Ya better find some ice fer that swollen head, sugarcube.”

Rainbow Dash smirked, and caught her apple with a wing. “Maybe I'll do that. Want me to get some for your wounded pride while I'm at it?”

An airy laugh came from the other side of the car. Rarity covered her mouth with a hoof as she chatted with Fluttershy. “You found him wearing what, darling?”

Fluttershy sipped from a travel-mug of tea. “It isn't that funny, Rarity. He can wear a tutu if he likes.”

Rarity nodded her head. “Of course, dear. It's just... the image of you walking into his den to find this ten foot tall bear dancing to the tune of the Sugar Plum Fairy...”

Fluttershy hid a small giggle behind her hoof. “Okay, maybe it is a little funny,” she admitted.

“Wait, you're talking about Harry?” Rainbow hovered over to join them.

Fluttershy nodded, smiling. “He's taking ballet lessons from Soft Shoe. He's actually getting very good; I'm so proud of him.”

Dash laughed. “Oh, you gotta tell Twi about it when we get to Canterlot!”

“I reckon she'd get a kick out of it,” Applejack said. “Don't ya think, Pinkie?” There was no answer. “...Pinkie?”

Four pairs of eyes turned to the corner of the car where Pinkie Pie sat. She stared wide-eyed at the table in front of her. She went very still when she inhaled, and shuddered as she exhaled. Her mouth gaped open.

Rarity stood up and stepped closer, concern etching into her face. “Darling, are you all right?”

Pinkie looked up with a start, as though she had only just noticed there were other ponies in the car. The beginnings of tears formed in her eyes. “Girls,” she said, her voice cracking, “I think something really, really bad—”

A harsh screech filled the air as the train's emergency breaks were pulled. Plates crashed and shattered and ponies tumbled over one another as the train jerked to a stop.

The mares picked themselves off of the floor and looked around. They appeared to have stopped just outside the gates of Canterlot.

Rainbow Dash poked her head out the window and peered up the tracks. “What the...” Before anypony could stop her, she jumped the rest of the way out of the window. The others shared worried looks and opened the door to follow her.

Other than the fact that Rainbow was already by it, it wasn't immediately apparent what was blocking the tracks up ahead, so they moved closer. As the shape of the obstruction became clearer, Rarity gasped. Fluttershy soon joined her with a horrified squeak.

Applejack's pace slowed to a stumble as her mouth hung open. It looked like one of the many statues that always decorated Canterlot. The only indication that it wasn't a statue was the fact that it was planted in the middle of the tracks, and the fact that no sculptor could ever have made such a close likeness.

“...Twi?”

Twilight Sparkle stood in front of the city gates, baring her horn in an aggressive crouch. Her wings were fully flared. From horn to hoof, she was completely frozen in stone.

Princess Celestia stepped quietly around her, a faraway look in her eyes. She addressed the five of them as they slowly gathered. “I... I am sorry,” she said, hanging her head.

She was bombarded with questions. “What happened?” “Where's Spike?” “What was Twilight doing?” She did not raise her head to respond to any of them, save for one.

Applejack stood up straight. “What can we do?”

Celestia's eyes swept across the five ponies. She took a long time before finally speaking. “I need you to find the Cockatrice King...”