• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 2,013 Views, 163 Comments

Party Every Day - Esle Ynopemos



Pinkie Pie wants to rock and roll all night, and party every day.

  • ...
1
 163
 2,013

18: Putting Up a Fight [Romance]

((Prompt: Learning to fight.))

Fluttershy kept her head down low, and kept nodding. Her chest ached with every word Pinkie said to her. Her wings twitched with every syllable. She bit her lip, because she was afraid she might scream if she let her mouth open.

“...It just isn't working,” Pinkie said. Fluttershy could tell the words hurt Pinkie to say as much as they hurt her to hear them. Her ears sagged, and she kept pausing to sniff back tears between sentences. “You're really, really nice, and you know how much I love you...”

Fluttershy winced. She had heard those three words from Pinkie so many times, and each time had always been unique, but this one was the first time it had ever hurt to hear them. “I—I know,” she agreed.

Pinkie smiled weakly at her. “...But we're just really, really different ponies. I thought...” She paused, and took a deep, unsteady breath. “I thought that didn't matter. I thought it was as simple as 'I love you, you love me, we can be happy together.' But we're not happy.” Fluttershy could swear she saw Pinkie's mane deflate as she admitted this.

A lump formed in Fluttershy's throat. She swallowed. Pinkie was right, they weren't happy. Fluttershy wasn't happy when Pinkie dragged her to social events she didn't want to go to. Pinkie wasn't happy when she saw how little fun her marefriend was having at the very things that Pinkie had intended to make her feel better. Neither of them were happy when it came time to discuss what was going wrong.

Pinkie sighed miserably. “I'm sorry for pushing you into this, Fluttershy. I was just so excited to have a special somepony, and that that special somepony was you.” She wiped a tear from her eye and giggled softly. “I'm still super excited. Even if it's about to...” Pinkie couldn't finish her sentence.

Fluttershy put a hoof on Pinkie's back. “It's...” She stopped, licking her lips. Okay? No, it wasn't okay. This was her and Pinkie breaking up. That wasn't in even the broadest definition of okay. “It's not your fault,” she said.

Pinkie gave her a small smile. “I think we were better off as friends,” she said, leaning into Fluttershy's hoof. “Let's go back to that.”

Fluttershy chewed on her lip. This was the part where she nodded her head in agreement. Pinkie was right, they had fun as friends. It hurt when they tried to be close. It would be so nice to go back to that comfortable distance again. She closed her eyes and pictured a time when she and Pinkie could just sit down to tea together, no pressure, no heartache.

“No.” Fluttershy opened her eyes, and was mildly surprised to find the word had come from her own mouth.

Pinkie raised her eyes. “Fluttershy?”

“No,” Fluttershy repeated. “You're wrong.”

Pinkie stared in stunned silence.

“Yes, it's hard,” Fluttershy continued. “Yes, it hurts. But Pinkie, it's okay if we aren't happy all of the time. It doesn't mean we aren't working.”

“B-but I don't want to keep making you unhappy,” Pinkie stammered.

Yellow wings wrapped around her as Fluttershy pulled her into an embrace. “I'm sorry,” she whispered, squeezing her tightly. “But you're going to have to learn how. Because alongside all of those times you make me unhappy, there's all of the times you make me so much more than happy, Pinkie. And I'm not giving up on those without a fight.”