• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 1,987 Views, 13 Comments

Some Redemption - Cupzy



A colt attempts to assassinate Celestia... but things don't turn out.

  • ...
11
 13
 1,987

The Feeling Of Failure

Storm didn't know if he was alive anymore. And frankly, he didn't want to know. All Storm could see was darkness, he couldn't move an inch of his body, and an excruciatingly painful headache relieved him of any attempt to think. He was standing up, but he could still feel his chest being dragged along the dirt floor of the Everfree Forest. He closed his eyes again, trying to wake up from what he hoped was a nightmare. Where were the Banished taking him? Were they going to execute him?

"B-Best do it now, I suppose. While I'm still half dead." Storm joked to himself. Suddenly, the feeling of his chest being dragged along the cold dirt turned into an even colder surface, he assumed he was being dragged along cobblestone, as he could feel slight cracks in the ground. This probably meant he was being taken to the "castle" that The Queen resided in. The dragging suddenly stopped, and Storm heard the muffled voice of somepony.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Wake him up!" A deep female voice said. Storm suddenly felt a tremendous pain erupt at the back of his head, he let out a grunt of pain before his vision started to reawaken. He saw doubles and moving blurs before he shook his head, his vision finally started to behave for once. He could feel his limbs again and by the sun, did they hurt. But Storm had no time for the pain that shot through his body. What he was looking at made his coat stand up on end. In front of him was the figure of The Queen, in the flesh. It wasn't a dream this time around. He hadn't seen The Queen in the flesh since he was sent on the mission to kill Celestia. The mission that started it all. Storm was still feeling the effects of the poison, and he could barely move, all he could do was lay there in pain while The Queen looked down at him with a victorious smile on her face.

"Shadow Storm. My most trusted warrior. It is truly wonderful to see you again. How did the mission go? I haven't heard any news regarding Celestia's death, yet here you are. It was truly wonderful for you to return to us, but why did you not finish the mission first?" The Queen asked politely. Storm hated The Queen's personality, she enjoyed playing mind tricks with everypony she met. Even her own warriors felt distraught after being in the same room as her for too long.

"..." Storm stayed completely silent. If the dream was indeed The Queen invading his mind, then talking his way out of this seemed to be out of the question.

"Hm? Why do you not answer, Shadow Storm? Normally you would be answering your Queen with a hasty vigor. Don't tell me... You have FAILED your mission, Shadow Storm?" The Queen asked sarcastically.

"You are not my Queen anymore..." Storm muttered. The Queen slowly trotted her way from the makeshift throne that she was sitting on. She walked over to Storm and started to circle him in a menacing manner. Even her hoofsteps sounded unsettling in the complete silence of the room. Storm noticed how many warriors were in the room. Twenty, at the very least. Some of them he even recognized, one of them in particular seemed to remind Storm of an old training partner when he was still young.

"You are being very disrespectful, Shadow Storm. You know better than to talk to your Queen like that." The Queen stated, still walking in circles around Storm.

"Things have changed. I am no longer bound to the shackles of this degenerate cult." Storm replied. This elicited a small chuckle from The Queen.

"Oh? And what kind of life do you lead now?" The Queen asked.

"...A better one. Necromanecers are born without any emotions whatsoever. I have changed. I now know what true happiness is. And it's certainly not slaving away in the emotionless pack of dogs that you call an army." Storm replied, The Queen seemed to fly into a state of rage for a second or two, but she managed to calm herself before Storm's life was ended prematurely.

"You know... That poison was originally intended to kill you. And, have you not had good reflexes, would have probably ended your life before you even knew it." The Queen said menacingly.

"What is your plan? Why go to such lengths to kill me?" Storm asked.

"Because you were going to be a magnificent warrior, Shadow Storm. Someone who far surpasses Redblade. And you gave up that chance for a mare?! What kind of stallion are you, Shadow Storm? Giving up your entire heritage to be with a bucking Unicorn." The Queen stated. Storm let out a frustrated grunt at The Queen. The pain in his joints and head were starting to subside, he was surprised the warriors who dragged him hear didn't tie him up.

"That "Bucking Unicorn" has a name, you know..." Storm said.

"Oh yes, Twilight Sparkle. My scouts have seen you two prancing around Ponyville and Canterlot. Pathetic. Love is an emotion that should only be used when you are given a mate to marry. Not to endlessly carry on an unwanted relationship." The Queen continued.

"It was unwanted by you. I don't follow your rules anymore." Storm remarked. The Queen let out another small chuckle.

"Do you remember that little... Encounter... We had when you were asleep? I stretched my magic to it's limits to try and wound you. You died in the dream, but my magic isn't powerful enough to damage you to the same extent while you were awake. Such a shame you had to die so quickly... I could have had a lot of fun with you..." The Queen said. Storm found the strength to lift himself up, where an uncountable amount of weapons were aimed at him.

"Relying on your so-called "Warriors" to protect you? I expected better from you." Storm said.

"Of course not, Shadow Storm. I merely wanted to begin the execution prematurely..." The Queen remarked. She walked back to her throne, once she sat down on it, she clapped her hooves together.

"My warriors. Kill him." The Queen said. The ponies surrounding Storm started to move inwards, pointing their weapons menacingly at him. Storm gulped as one of them lunged at him, attempting to stab a halberd into his side. Storm managed to dodge to his left, he felt the blade brush against his skin lightly, but he couldn't feel any bleeding. He summoned his long sword, much to The Queen's surprise.

"What?! Why did you not put a magical binding on him?!" The Queen shouted. The warriors looked confused for a second, enough time for Storm to rush in and thrust his long sword into one of the pony's abdomens. He let out a small grunt before falling onto the floor. The remaining warriors quickly grasped the situation and lunged at Storm simultaniously. All Storm could see was a clutter of weapons aiming straight for him. He ran forward and ducked under a warrior that was jumping towards Storm. He tumbled from the crowd and looked back at the crowd of warriors looking for Storm, he chuckled at the scene and took the opportunity to run out of the large doors to the throne room. He started running through the hallways of the mansion, looking for any way out. Once he heard the warriors regaining their composure, he ducked into a nearby room, hoping that they didn't see him go in. He heard the warriors rushing past the door.

"Where did he go?!" One of them shouted. They continued running until Storm could barely hear them anymore. He sighed and pulled his ear away from the door. He turned around and looked around the room. That's when realization dawned on him. This was HIS room. The one he used before he was sent on the mission. The room wasn't very good-looking, but it was luxury compared with some of the houses in the many villages scattered around the forest. There was a bed pushed up against the wall on the far left side, a piece of furniture that only the most high-ranking of guards could get. A small desk was against the opposite wall, with multiple papers and news clippings. Storm was viewed as a bookworm in the eyes of many warriors. There was a small lamp on a cabinet near the bed. There was a large pedestal that Storm used to rest his sword on whenever he wasn't using it. The pedestal was supposed to bring good luck to the user. But Storm never believed any of it.

He walked up to the desk with the various news clippings and papers on them. He saw a small book among the clutter and picked it up. It was his old journal, he opened it up and flicked to the most recent entry.

Entry number 76

This will probably be my last entry. I have been called upon by my Queen to accomplish a mission of great importance; To assassinate Princess Celestia. I am honored to accept this job in the name of the Banished. My resolve will never waver. And if I should die during this mission, I will die knowing that I died for my Queen's cause. I am a Necromanecer. And I will fulfill that role.

-Shadow Storm

Storm took one of the quills from the table and opened a new page in the journal.

Entry number 77

It seems I was lying when I said that the last entry would be my last. I am no longer proud to hold the name of a Necromanecer. The Queen is maniacal and sadistic. I have discovered somepony that awakened the emotions that were meant to stay locked inside of me; Twilight Sparkle. The Queen intends to kill me, and I happened to stumble upon my room while I was running away. And should I die during this escape, I will die knowing that I have failed the ones I love. I am a Necromanecer. And I am ashamed to carry that title.

-Shadow (Storm) Storm

Storm put down the quill and closed the journal, he set it back where it was originally and walked towards the door to his room. He put his ear to the door and listened for any of the warriors, after waiting for a few moments, he opened the door, praying to Celestia that nopony heard the loud creak of the door. He let out a sigh of relief when he couldn't hear anypony. He tried to remember where the exit to the mansion was. He started trotting towards his left, hoping that instinct would lead him to the exit. After following a seemingly random path through the hallways of the mansion, he came to a large pair of double doors at the end of a hallway. He pushed on the large handle of the door, he was surprised when the door made seemingly no noise at all when it opened. Behind the door looked like a living room of some sort, sofas and chairs were facing a rather large fireplace, and there were two regal-looking staircases going down each side of the room. Storm started to walk down the stairs, they made an unsettling creak when Storm stepped on each one. Once he had reached the bottom, he noticed another large set of doors that were situated in the middle of the far wall. Storm recognized the doors as the exit, normally around twenty guards would be patrolling this area, but they were probably alerted to go and find Storm.

Storm walked up to the large set of doors and pushed on the handle. The doors made an extremely loud creaking noise when they opened up, prompting Storm to run as fast as he possibly could when he had the chance. Once the doors were fully open, he grimaced at the sight he saw. An absolutely humongous amount of warriors were pointing their weapons menacingly in Storm's direction. Pegasi warriors were hovering in the air, preventing Storm from escaping via the air. Standing at the back of the small army that had amassed was the figure of The Queen with another victorious smile on her face. Storm's eyes widened as he scanned the area for any kind of escape. Several warriors bowed as The Queen walked through them, trotting towards Storm.

"Hm... It seems being around weaklings hasn't hindered your skills at all, Shadow Storm. I was expecting half of your combat training to have vanished away. It's a shame I had to waste some guards on you..." The Queen said mockingly. Storm drew his long sword once more, looking The Queen directly in the eyes. She let out a small laugh at his attempt at intimidation.

"You think a little toy like that could harm me? My dear, dear Shadow Storm. Don't you know the power I possess?" The Queen said. Storm couldn't argue, The Queen was probably the most powerful pony in existence, Storm was surprised that The Queen hadn't already drawn the attention of Princess Celestia. It led Storm to think what Twilight was doing at that very moment. Had The Queen already begun her attack? Had she aimed for Twilight or Celestia? Storm needed to get back to Ponyville, and fast.

"Put your fears to rest, Shadow Storm. I have not begun my attack yet. But rest assured, I'm sure Twilight Sparkle will be my first target." The Queen said, before laughing in an overly dramatic manner. Storm slapped himself mentally for thinking about Twilight. He forgot that The Queen could read minds. While her guard was down, Storm leaped at The Queen, he thought he had hit her, but when he landed, The Queen wasn't behind him anymore. Storm heard The Queen reappear seconds later, before he could react, he felt a burning agony in his side. He was knocked over, registering the pain as some sort of flaming projectile thrown by The Queen, she had aimed for his stitches, which he only assumed were opened again. He felt his skin sear from the burn he had received. He pulled himself back up, relying on his adrenaline to resist most of the pain.

"You thought you could catch me off guard? You should know better than that, Shadow Storm. Just look at you, writhing in agony from a single blow. My warriors, seize him." The Queen ordered. Two warriors walked up to Storm and attempted to grab him. Storm merely threw a weak punch at one of the warriors, who quickly responded by grabbing Storm's arm forcefully. He looked at The Queen, receiving a quick nod from her. The stallion proceeded to throw Storm to the ground and slam one of his hooves on Storm's leg, a loud crack was heard, followed by Storm screaming in intense agony. With his now probably broken leg and burn mark, coupled with the intense bleeding from his reopened wound, Storm's vision eventually started to fail him. His last view on the land of the living was The Queen looking down at him with a grin across her face.

"Get him to a doctor, get that open wound treated. I don't want him to die just yet..." The Queen said, her voice becoming more quiet towards the end. He heard two simultaneous "Yes, my Queen" from the two warriors who were standing over Storm. He once again found himself being dragged into the mansion, with only the intense agony of his injuries to accompany him. Before the doors closed, The Queen lowered her face to meet his, giving him a look of pure hatred.

"You could have been a magnificent warrior. And you give it all up to protect this so-called "Love" and "Companionship" that you apparently have. But don't worry, my dear Shadow Storm. You will suffer pain a million times worse than what you currently feel after I am finished with you..." The Queen said, half of her words completely blocked out by the ringing in Storm's ears. She walked inside the mansion, with the sound of the doors closing behind her.

"Twilight... Celestia... Redblade... All of my friends... I've failed you all..." Storm muttered, not sure if his words were even audible, but he could swear that he heard a mocking laugh come from one of the warriors, that was all he could remember before he blacked out, his blood staining the cold floor of the mansion.