• Published 18th Jul 2013
  • 20,691 Views, 999 Comments

The Last Crusade - CyborgSamurai



Four childhood friends discover that their friendship goes back a lot farther than they thought. 5s/4 side story.

  • ...
33
 999
 20,691

Family is Forever

Chapter 10:

Family is Forever

“You sure we should just be walking up the driveway like this?” Babs asked.

The drive to Iowa had gone without incident. We’d left early the next morning in a van that Shmangie had borrowed from her best friend, and we’d taken as many back roads as we could in an effort to stay away from Des Moines. We’d done pretty well, but even still we’d gotten caught in stop-and-go traffic three times. It was now late afternoon, and Apple Bloom, Babs, Scootaloo, Shmangie, and I were cautiously making our way up a winding dirt driveway that disappeared into a line of spruce trees.

“Why not?” I said with a shrug. “We gotta coax Rainbow out somehow. She’ll probably just hide if Shmangie goes up and starts snooping around by herself.”

“Not that I’m dressed for snooping in the first place,” Shmangie said. She was wearing makeup, a violet button-down shirt over a white blouse, along with blue bootcut jeans and fashion boots. She was wearing her sapphire necklace and matching earrings, too, but she hardly ever took those off.

I rolled my eyes. “You knew we were going to a farm, not a night on the town. You should’ve worn some older clothes.”

Shmangie made a derisive noise. “We're about to meet Rainbow Dash. You honestly thought I wouldn’t want to look my best?”

“You never dressed up for us,” Scootaloo pointed out with a sly grin. “What, are we not good enough for you?”

Shmangie raised an eyebrow. “I don’t think I need to dress up for someone I help clean off every time they use the restroom.”

Scootaloo went bright red. She tried to stammer out a response, but there really wasn’t one to give. It was embarrassing to admit, but Shmangie had been a godsend in helping us maintain our hygiene and health. She’d brushed our coats and manes, helped us shower and address biological functions, made sure we ate right, had vaccinated us against several equine diseases, and had even sprayed us with a special perfume so we didn’t smell like horse. It was because of her that we were healthy, properly groomed, and looking the best we possibly could, and while she did it all without complaint, it was something she wasn’t about to let us forget.

We neared a bend on the driveway. “We're meeting an amnesiac Rainbow Dash, Shmangie. She's probably nothing like who she used to be. We might as well be meeting a stranger.”

Scootaloo sighed. “Would you quit it with the melodrama? Seriously, you've been nothing but gloom and doom ever since we left. Rainbow's gonna be different, yeah, but if she can do a Sonic Rainboom, then the old her is still in there.”

“I just don't want you getting your hopes up,” I said. “Rainbow may know she’s your surrogate sister because of the show, but she’s not gonna have any memories of the time you spent together."

Scootaloo looked down at the ground. “No. I refuse to believe that we can’t have the same bond we used to have, regardless of what I do. Memories or not, my personality was pretty much the same as a human, so I have to think that Rainbow’s is, too.”

Apple Bloom patted Scootaloo’s shoulder. “I’m sure she’ll come around. All ya gotta do is give her some time. I doubt the Element of Loyalty’s gonna up and abandon somepony that sees her as a sister.”

Babs hopped over a puddle. “Speaking of which, do you think Rainbow might know anything about them? The Elements, I mean.”

A silence formed as we all considered the question. I personally doubted it, but I wasn’t exactly learned in the ways of mystical arcane relics. It might be possible that Rainbow still had some kind of connection to the Element of Loyalty, but even if she did, it wouldn’t do much good while we were still on Earth.

“It can’t hurt to ask her,” I said. “If she does, maybe she can use it to—”

I’ll never forget what happened next. First there was a faint rumbling in the ground. Then there was the sound of rapid hoofbeats. The five of us had just enough time to exchange a confused glance before not one, but TWO pony mares came galloping around the driveway bend.

The first was expected: Cyan coat magenta eyes, a prismatic mane and tail, and a lightning bolt cutie mark—the one and only Rainbow Dash. The second was an orange earth pony with emerald eyes, a mane and tail like straw, and a Stetson atop her head. It was unmistakable who she was, but my brain didn’t process her name until I heard Apple Bloom’s breathless whisper.

“Jackie…”

Applejack and Rainbow hadn’t seen us yet, and were still running full-bore down the driveway. They suddenly realized we were right in front of them, and their expressions turned to panic as they tried to skid to a halt.

“WAUGH!”

Scootaloo leapt into the air on instinct. Babs and Apple Bloom dove into the ditch. I’m ashamed to say that I froze, but Shmangie kept her head and shoved me out of the way. I fell into a bush and immediately got myself tangled in a mess of branches.

Shmangie held up her hands. “Whoa there, ponies!”

I almost laughed. Of all the things she could’ve said, that was probably the worst. Regardless, though, it seemed to work. Rainbow and Applejack skidded to a halt a few yards in front of her, and I fought to free myself from the bush as Scootaloo fluttered down beside Babs and Apple Bloom, who’d just gotten to their hooves on the other side of the driveway.

Nopony moved. We all simply stared at each other, neither side fully sure of what to say or do. Rainbow and Applejack were wide-eyed and incredulous, standing stock still as they beheld each of us in turn. They didn’t seem to have any injuries, and looked to be in good health. The blank looks on their faces was evidence that Discord’s curse was still affecting them, though, but that was to be expected.

Shmangie was now alone in the center of the driveway face-to-face with two members of the Mane Six. She visibly flinched with barely contained glee, but her expression hardened as she shifted into ‘manager mode.’ She cleared her throat and politely nodded to Rainbow and Applejack.

“My name is Angie Raimundo, and I—”

Shmangie was cut off by a pair of orange and yellow missiles glomping Rainbow and Applejack from the side. They all went tumbling away in a jumble of manes, tails.

I groaned. It seemed that all my warnings had fallen on deaf ears.

Rainbow and Applejack were now lying spread-eagled on their backs, blinking in shock as Scootaloo and Apple Bloom hugged them with muted sobs. They didn’t try to pry them off, but neither did they seem really sure what to do. Babs was still on the side of the road, presumably to give Apple Bloom a moment with her sister.

“Uh... hey there, Scootaloo.” Rainbow awkwardly patted her head. “Good to, um… see you?”

Scootaloo didn’t reply. She just pressed her face harder into Rainbow’s coat.

“Yeah,” Applejack said. There was no accent in her voice. “Hey there, uh… Apple Bloom. Been a while, hasn’t it?”

Apple Bloom hiccuped and looked up at her with red, watery eyes. “Y-You… r-remember me?”

Applejack pursed her lips into a thin line. She stared at Apple Bloom for a long time, searching her sister’s face in the hopes of finding something. I almost thought she was going to say yes, but then, she closed her eyes and slowly shook her head.

“I’m sorry.”

Apple Bloom sagged. She sniffled again, but then, something in her seemed to snap. Her eyes became wild, and she gritted her teeth with a fierce snarl. She got off of her sister, raised her head, then screamed in a language I hadn’t heard in twenty-five years.

“SWEETIE!”

My hair stood on end. Equestrian is a very distinct, highly tonal dialect that requires the full range of a pony’s vocal chords. I poked my head out of the bush and responded in kind. “What?”

Apple Bloom looked over at me with unbalanced eyes. She pointed at Applejack. “Restore her memories! NOW!”

I shook my head. “You know I can’t!”

“I DON’T CARE!” Apple Bloom stormed over and snatched my hoof. She yanked me out of the bush and started dragging me over to Applejack.

“Hey!” I tried to get free, but Apple Bloom was pulling me with all her strength. We made our way over to Applejack, who had gotten to her hooves and was looking curiously at us.

“Did I miss something? Why are they neighing?”

“Apple Bloom, stop!” Babs ran over and tried to pull her off me. “We can’t do this! Not right now!”

“The hell are you three doing?!” Shmangie said with alarm. “Let go of Mage!”

Rainbow looked up and snorted. “‘Mage’? Really?”

Scootaloo looked over at us, gasped, then leaned forward and began whispering in Rainbow’s ear.

“SHE’S RIGHT THERE!” Apple Bloom roared as she kicked at Babs. “SHE’S RIGHT BUCKING THERE! I’M NOT LETTING ANYTHING ELSE STAND IN THE WAY!”

Apple Bloom is a better fighter than Babs, but she wasn’t in a state of mind to do anything other than flail wildly. Babs took a couple of hits, but she still managed to pin Apple Bloom to the ground. The loss of forward momentum made me stumble backwards and I did a backwards somersault. I smacked my horn on a rock, and the sudden stab of pain made tears spring to my eyes. I lay on my stomach while cradling my head in my hooves.

Rainbow had now sat up and was gawking at me with her jaw hung slack. Scootaloo was reared on her back hooves so she could still reach Rainbow’s ear, avidly whispering away.

Applejack took a step towards me. “Are you all—”

“STAY BACK!” I got up and zipped behind Shmangie. “DON’T COME NEAR ME!”

“Get a grip, idiot!” Babs now had Apple Bloom in a chokehold. “Don’t make me knock you out!”

Apple Bloom was struggling like her life depended on it, but her cousin’s grip was too strong. Her efforts became progressively weaker and weaker as she went longer and longer without air.

“BREAK IT UP!” Shmangie went over and separated them, which in turn left me completely exposed. Scootaloo was now watching Apple Bloom and Babs out of the corner of her eye, but hadn’t stopped whatever message she was whispering to Rainbow. Applejack also hadn’t moved thanks to my outburst.

It was the most chaotic, awkward debacle I’d ever been a part of. All I could do was nurse my horn and fervently hope that Applejack and Rainbow didn’t think we were insane. Part of me wanted to be furious with Apple Bloom for what she’d just tried to do. Another part was willing to let it slide. Either way, though, I hoped that I wouldn’t act the same way if we ever found—

The ground rumbled again. My ears pricked up as I heard the sound of more hoofbeats. I looked up in surprise. Rainbow heard it as well. She stopped Scootaloo and turned around.

“Slow up!" she called. "We’re right around the corner!”

The hoofbeats slowed. A four-legged shadow approached at a trot. My heartbeat quickened. Was this real? There were more ponies here?! Who else had… they…

The world melted away. Time itself came to a screeching halt. The only thing that moved or existed was her. A pristine white coat, full and shining in the late afternoon sun. A violet mane and tail were styled in familiar, curled coiffures. Neatly trimmed fetlocks and makeup that beautifully accentuated her features. She carried herself with graceful poise, and when I saw those deep, sapphire eyes, my composure, my plans, my everything… all of it was simply swept away.

Shmangie had now separated Babs and Apple Bloom and was standing in between them. “First off, don’t ever ignore me like that again! Second, MICHAEL DENNIS ZIMMERMAN, I swear to everything holy, if you just tried what I think you tried—”

And then she noticed who’d just showed up.

“Oh."

Rarity cocked her head. “Am I interrupting something?”

Apple Bloom and Babs turned. Everyone did, in fact. Rarity was currently the center of attention, but she didn’t seem to mind. I couldn’t believe it. The pony who I loved unconditionally and would do anything for. The one who’d had made time for me despite leading a busy life. The one who’d tried to save me and had gotten punished for it.

And she didn’t even know who I was.

Shmangie blinked several times, but quickly recovered. She brushed herself off, and tried to pick up where she’d left off.

“I a-apologize for that. As I was saying, my name’s Angie, and I’m Sweetie Belle’s h-human sister. She came to me for help when she and the others started changing back into p-ponies, and I’ve been taking care of them ever since. We came because we saw the S-Sonic Rainboom on TV.”

My mind was blanking. I could see the hollowness in Rarity’s eyes, the lack of recognition that was usually reserved for complete strangers. Oh, Celestia, it hurt. I wanted to hug her. I wanted to hear her laugh. I wanted to spend the weekends with her and help her make dresses again. I wanted her to tell me everything was going to be all right.

Rainbow shook her head clear, then looked back and Shmangie and regarded her with newfound interest. “Oh, yeah? Nice! I knew that’d make ponies come running. Did you see how they were trying to explain it on CNN this morning? Freaking priceless!”

Applejack shot Rainbow an unamused look. “Tens of thousands of people, Dash. All of 'em with scared silly with no idea when they’re going to be able to go back home.”

Rainbow flattened her ears. “Don’t mind Jack. She’s still having issues accepting that she’s a member of an infinitely cooler race—er, no offense.”

Shmangie giggled. “None taken.”

Never before had I felt so close to something, yet so far away. Rarity didn’t move towards me, nor did she say anything or give any sign of recognition. She kept her attention on me, yes but her mind couldn’t penetrate through the fog.

Applejack ignored the jibe. “How’d you guys find us so fast? Did Princess Luna give you dream instructions?”

Shmangie did a double take. “Princess Lu—how many ponies are here on this farm? We thought it was just Rainbow!”

“Call me Dash,” Rainbow cut in. “And we don’t actually know where Luna is. She just popped up in my dream and was like, ‘You should do a Rainboom to inspire ponies around the world!’ And I was like, ‘Why don’t you go talk to the government or something?’ And she was like, ‘Screw that, they’re a bunch of douchebags! I need you to do something so amazing it’ll make everyone crap their pants! Now gimme your address so I can tell ponies where to go!’”

I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to cry, but the tears wouldn’t come. I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t even summon a whisper. I wanted to be mad at her, but all the anger kept turning inward. I couldn’t go to her, but I couldn’t go anywhere without everypony noticing. I was putting both her and Shmangie in danger by staying here, but it wasn’t like I could just leave. Even if I could, the others would spout off some nonsense about how we belonged together. But what was I supposed to do, then? Keeping away from one pony was conceivable, but multiple?

“I’m sure that’s a direct quote,” Applejack said dryly. “To answer your question, Miss Angie, there are eight ponies here in total: Me, Dash, Rarity, Big Mac, Fluttershy, Shining Armor, Twilight Sparkle, and Pinkie Pie. We’re in the middle of preparing for more, but you five are the first ones to show up—oh. Hey, Apple Bloom. You all right?”

Apple Bloom had walked back over to Applejack in silence. She was now resting her head against her sister's side, eyes closed as silent tears fell down her cheeks.

Babs ignored Apple Bloom and turned to Rainbow. “Wait, did I hear that right? All the Mane Six are here?”

“You bet!” Rainbow said with a smirk. “I—hold on.” Rainbow crouched down, swept the still-whispering Scootaloo up onto her back, and resumed talking over the audible squee. “I busted my ass to get everyone here! It got a little hairy for a while, but it wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle.”

“You nearly started a war on three separate occasions, darling.” Rarity finally broke eye contact with me to address Rainbow with a small frown. “I don’t think that qualifies as ‘little’. And who is the one hanging in the back? Is that Sweetie Belle? Why's she so far away from all of us?”

Suddenly I knew what a deer in the headlights felt like. I gulped and tried to think of something as everyone turned to me.

“I-I...”

“She’s sick!” Rainbow said loudly. “Yeah, um… she’s got a cold. Scootaloo was just telling me that they’ve all had a pretty bad bug this past week. Sweetie’s still getting over it, so she doesn’t wanna spread the germs.”

Shmangie looked oddly at Rainbow. “She’s not—”

Scootaloo silenced her with a rapid motion across her throat.

Rarity scrutinized me. “She doesn’t look sick to me.”

I felt all eyes on me again. Obviously Scootaloo had said something to Rainbow, but she couldn’t have told her much in such a short span of time. Ultimately I just decided to roll with it and let things turn out as they would.

“ACHOO!” I faked a sneeze and vigorously rubbed my nose. I let my posture slump and began speaking in a nasally voice. “Yeah, sorry about that. Still not feeling well.”

Rarity narrowed her eyes and swished her tail. “I’ll admit I don’t remember how we treated each other in our past lives, young lady, but do you really intend resume our relationship with a lie?”

Ouch. It seemed that Rarity’s intuition was something she hadn’t lost. I stammered and tried to force out a nervous laugh, but it came out more like a grunt. I looked to Shmangie for support, but she looked pretty annoyed, herself.

“Diga la verdad,” she muttered tersely.

“Hold on, Rare—” Rainbow said.

“Butt out,” Rarity said icily. “You don’t see me trying to intervene with your sister, or whoever that little one on your back is, so I’ll thank you not to do so with mine. If someone’s going to claim they’re my family, I’ll not allow them to keep secrets from me.”

“Yeah!” The bush I’d fallen into earlier said. “Sisters are supposed to be super-close so they can confide in each other and stuff! Not stall for time and whisper to each other in other languages!”

We all turned. I knew that voice, but I was still trying to process that I’d actually heard it with my own ears. I slowly inched closer to Shmangie.

Applejack groaned. “Would you get out of there, Pinkie? You’re gonna scare them.”

“Pfft! No, I won’t!” A pink earth pony mare with a poofy mane and tail hopped out of the bush. Pinkie playfully winked at me before sidling over to Applejack. “These four know waaaaay too much about me to be scared by a little thing like this!”

Babs snickered. “This is true."

"One does not question the ways of Pinkie Pie," Scootaloo agreed.

Applejack scratched her head. “Meaning what, exactly?”

Pinkie smiled at me and gestured with a hoof. “Go ahead.”

I bit my lip. Would it be better to keep silent? It certainly would be safer, not to mention easier. But then they might not understand why I had to stay away from them. I didn’t know how long we were going to be on Earth, but if the Mane Six really were all here, then maybe things were moving faster than I thought. Maybe if I gave Twilight her memories back, she’d be able to find a way back to Equestria and we could challenge Discord! Maybe there was hope after all!

Or maybe she wouldn’t know anything, and then I’d have blown our cover for nothing.

Rainbow gave me an apologetic look. “Sorry. I tried.”

I sighed. “No, they’re right. I shouldn’t hide this, even if I think it’s the right thing to do. You all deserve to know how the four of us got our memories back, and what it can mean for all of you.”

Rarity’s lips parted. “You have...”

“No way,” Applejack breathed.

I closed my eyes and looked away. “It happened when Discord put the curse on me…”

I told them everything. I told them about our shared dream of our last moments as ponies on our twenty-fifth birthdays. I told them how I’d regained my memories when I’d gotten my magic back and then discovered that I could do the same for other ponies by being in close contact with them. I told them my theories on how this was possible and how those theories had led to us to the farm through the use of weather satellites. I also told them how unlikely it was that anypony else could do the same, and our hopes that they knew of a way back home.

“So that’s the gist of it,” I finished. “I can break the curse and restore your old memories, but I can’t do it without putting Rarity and Angie in danger. I didn’t think it’d be much of an issue with just Rain—er, Dash here, but if there are as many as you say with even more on the way, then I don’t think I can stay here.”

There was a silence. Rainbow was looking down at the ground, her expression thoughtful as she sucked on her teeth. Pinkie was idly dragging one of her hooves in a circle. Applejack was lying on the ground, her arm around Apple Bloom as she gently stroked her mane. I didn’t know what Rarity was doing. I’d looked away when I'd seen her reaction to my fate, and it’d been hard enough recounting everything without seeing how she'd react to it.

“Okay, first thing,” Rainbow said. “Nopony, and I mean NOPONY, under any circumstance, is to breathe a word of this to Twilight. Understand?”

Applejack frowned. “Why not?”

Rainbow spun her hoof beside her head. “I haven't had a chance to tell you about this, but Shining called us when he’d gotten stranded in Canada from learning how to teleport. Twilight overheard, and she flat-out demanded that he tell her how to do it!”

“And then she immediately did herself!” Pinkie laughed. “Didn’t even think about the rest of us; she was just like, ‘Oooh, shiny new magic thing! MUST TRY!’ Then poof! She was stranded just like Shiny.”

Rainbow nodded. “She won’t give Sweetie the chance to explain. If she decides she wants her memories back, then none of us can really stop her. Well, maybe I could if got the jump on her, but I’d rather not take the chance.”

“I don’t think that’s fair,” Shmangie said. “I mean, granted, you girls know her better than I do, but Twilight can’t be so obsessed that she’d—”

“She focused so hard on learning telekinesis that she turned an apple into a bomb,” Pinkie said. “It destroyed her apartment and shattered the windows of all the buildings around the block. And she caused an explosion in Seattle that was mistaken for a terrorist attack. And she nuked a shed so hard that it looked like a mushroom cloud! Oh, and she keeps trying super hard to try and remember anything and everything she can about magic! And—”

“Okay, okay.” Shmangie rubbed her temples. “Telling the uber-powerful, knowledge-obsessed, teleporting alicorn that she can’t have something that she desperately wants is a bad idea. But what, then? Mage shouldn’t have to be a pariah because of this.”

“Of course she shouldn’t.” Rainbow rubbed her chin and turned to me. “Is it any physical contact that sets it off, or just with your horn?”

“Just my horn,” I said. “I grabbed Scootaloo before I restored her memories. Nothing happened until I touched her forehead.”

Rainbow shrugged. “Then just put something over it. Preferably something that won't stand out.”

I clucked my tongue. Would that really work? I wasn’t sure about the conductivity of magic, so there was a chance that it might not make a difference. Back in Equestria there were these enchanted metal sheaths called suppressors that completely cut off a unicorn’s magic, but that wasn’t something we could get here. Besides, that wasn’t really what we wanted. We were just trying to prevent my magical field from getting into contact with anypony else’s, not stop me from using magic altogether.

“I’m not sure we brought anything like that with us.” I started trying to think of something that might fit over my horn. I considered the sheath for my rapier, but that would look completely absurd. One of Shmangie’s socks was an option, but that wouldn’t look much better. It’d pretty much need to be something custom-made, but I wasn’t exactly much of a—

“I can make you something,” Rarity said in a quiet voice. “I have some sewing tools in my room. All I’d need to do is take your measurements.”

I’m not sure why that offer hit me so hard. Maybe it was the way she’d said it. Maybe it was the memories that were triggered. Or maybe it was because I interpreted the gesture as that she wasn’t mad at me. Regardless of what it was, I barely resisted the urge not to just run to her right then and there.

“I-I’d like that,” I said.

“Cool.” Rainbow stretched her wings and turned to Applejack. “So here’s what we’ll do: We’ll go up to the farm together, then get everypony outside and do introductions. While we’re doing that, Rarity and Sweetie Belle will sneak around the farmhouse, go in through the backdoor, and get Sweetie’s horn cozy-thingy made.”

“How are we going to explain their absence?” Applejack asked.

Rainbow hummed in thought. “We’ll just say they need a moment alone together. Nopony will question that.”

“Especially with how adorably huggy the others are being!” Pinkie said.

Scootaloo rested her head on Rainbow’s shoulder. “Don’t care. Nuzzling best pony.”

Rainbow chuckled. “I like this kid already.”

Shmangie shot me a questioning glance. I nodded my consent, and she drummed her fingers together. She then adjusted her purse and addressed me along with the other Crusaders.

“You four will have to play dumb from here on out. Until further notice, you still think you’re humans-turned-ponies, and you’re not happy with being turned into colorful cartoon female horses. You’re hoping there’s a way you can be turned back, and you’re very surprised to discover that you all have family members here. Also, no doing that neighing thing. They’ll think you’re nuts.”

“What neighing—” I huffed and raised my chin. “That was Equestrian! It sounds nothing like the noises Earth horses make!”

“Sounded like neighing to me,” Applejack muttered.

“Me too,” Rainbow said.

“Me three!” Pinkie said.

“Me as well, I’m afraid.” Rarity said.

I opened and closed my mouth a few times, then made a disgusted noise and facehooved. “Fucking Discord…”

“Language, young lady!” Rarity said sharply.

I gave her a flat look. “I’m thirty-three.”

“Certainly don’t look it,” Applejack said. She got to her hooves and looked back towards the direction of the farm. “This certainly changes things. May not need to hunker down for as long as I’d thought. We'll have to sit down and talk about when’s a good time for Sweetie to lift the curse.”

Rainbow furrowed her brow. “You actually want to? I thought you’d, well… you know.”

Applejack looked down at Apple Bloom, who was still avoiding eye contact and standing wordlessly at her side. She looked back up at Rainbow. “Later.”

“Yeah! Now’s not the time for broody monologues! It’s super-happy reunion time!” Pinkie began hopping down the road in her familiar bouncy stride. “Follow me, follow me, I know the way! But abandon all hope, ye newcomers, for here there be PONIES!”

Babs smirked. “I’d think that’d be a reason to have hope.”

“Oh, it is!” Pinkie said over her shoulder. “I just wanted to say that!”

Applejack and Apple Bloom followed after Pinkie. Rainbow, Scootaloo, and Babs followed suit. Shmangie hung back, looking between Rarity and I for a few seconds as she twisted a lock of her hair in her fingers.

A small smile crept up on my face. “Ella no muerde, ya sabes.”

“¡Cállate!” Shmangie snapped. “¡Sólo dame un segundo!”

“Pardon?” Rarity said.

I coughed to hide my laughter. “Sorry. We tend to revert to Spanish when teasing each other. Isn’t that right, hermanita?”

“No hagas que te pegue.”

“You know Spanish, too?” Rarity shook her head in disbelief. “How many languages can you speak?”

“Just the three,” I said casually. “Not like Equestrian’s very useful, though. You know, considering there are only three others on Earth who speak it.”

Rarity’s eyes became distant. “I imagine that must be rather... frustrating.”

Shmangie stopped playing with her hair. She took one hesitant step forward, then gained more confidence and approached Rarity with a nervous smile. She extended her hand and spoke in a shaky voice.

“It’s a pleasure to m-meet you. I know you don’t remember who Shmage is r-right now, but I want you to know that I’ve always done my b-best to keep her safe. I don’t expect you to see me as family or a-anything, but I hope we can at least be f-friends.”

Rarity took Shmangie’s hand, but didn’t reply right away. She looked her up and down, taking in the strange human that claimed to have such a strong bond with her. Her eyes fell on the sapphire necklace, and she looked up with an amused smile.

“Please don’t tell me ‘Shmage’ is Sweetie’s human name.”

I burst out laughing.

Shmangie blushed. “His—her name is Magellan, but we shortened it to Mage, and then we started calling each other ‘Shmangie’ and ‘Shmage’ when we were kids and it sorta stuck...”

“Ah, a nickname.” Rarity’s eyes twinkled. “I take it you two are close, then.”

Shmangie bowed her head. “Something like that.”

“Good.” Rarity patted Shmangie’s hand. “I expect nothing less from a sister.”

Shmangie’s eyes widened. She started to say something else, but Rarity cut her off.

“You should go. It’s going to defeat the purpose if you fall too far behind.”

Shmangie lightly ground her teeth. It was very clear she’d rather stay, but she conceded the point. Shmangie stepped away, nodded once to both of us, then met my eyes and mouthed two words.

“Good luck.”

I watched her go with reluctance. I wasn’t really sure I needed luck, per se, but I supposed the turn of phrase was apt enough. It did sort of feel like I was walking into a minefield here, and it’d take nothing short of a miracle to get me through in one piece.

“She seems nice,” Rarity said once Shmangie was out of earshot. “I think we’ll get along just fine.”

I sighed in relief. “I really hope so. You two have a lot in common.”

Had a lot in common, you mean.” Rarity sat on her haunches. “Okay, before we go any further, we need to get this out of the way. I know you remember who I used to be, but you have to accept that that's not who I am anymore. I spent twenty-five years as the spoiled only child of an emotionally distant mother and a misogynistic father. I was rich, I was neglected, I was a boy, and I hated every second of all of it. Every second of every day, I feared that that anger would seep into the rest of my life.”

“And yet you just confided that to me without even knowing what name I go by.” I blew a lock of my mane out of my eyes. “You know, it’s funny. I spent the whole ride down here nagging Scoots on how Rainbow wasn’t going to be the same, and yet they took to each other right away. Applejack and Apple Bloom did too, more so, even. Something’s breaking through, isn’t it? Something faint, something weak, but still enough to identify who we are.”

Rarity looked at me with searching eyes. There was a hunger to them, a desperate kind of yearning that practically begged me to release the dam sealing her life away. I didn’t move. She didn’t come any closer. We stood a mere ten yards apart, yet there was so much more separating us.

A long, awkward minute passed, then Rarity leaned back and raised her head to the sky.

“I was close with one of my grandmothers before she died. I’d always go to her when I was young, complaining about my parents and how I wished they’d treat me like a human being instead of a possession. She comforted me in a lot of ways, but there’s one thing she told me that I’ll never forget.”

I leaned forward. “What was it?”

Rarity spoke in a clear, strong voice. “Seasons change, years pass, friends come and go, fortunes trade hands, and empires rise and fall. But no matter what life deals you, family is forever. You’ll never be able to deny those who are your kin, for the bonds of blood transcend all things. Run all you like, make up whatever lies you wish, act in any way you desire, but there will always be a part of you that knows the truth.”

She turned and started walking down the driveway. “That part is a tiny little voice that dwells in the deepest part of our hearts. It speaks to us in nothing more than a whisper, but it doesn't use words. Instead, it conveys feelings of right and wrong to identify family members.”

I followed at a distance. “And you got that feeling when you saw me?”

Rarity nodded. “Like a puzzle piece falling into place.”

I dwelled on that for a moment. I didn’t doubt her, but I was curious whether or not I’d felt the same way for her in the past. I did remember always having feelings of fondness for Rarity whenever I'd watched the show, but I'd always watched the show with Shmangie, so I’d figured that that’s where the feelings were originating from.

“Which name do you prefer, by the way?” Rarity said over her shoulder. “I’m not exactly keen on ‘Mage’, but I can understand if that’s more comfortable for you.”

I smiled. “I’m really only okay with people who knew me as a human calling me that. For everyone else, I prefer they call me Sweetie.”

“Do you think there’s a difference between the two?” Rarity asked.

I blinked. “Difference? What do you mean?”

Rarity sidestepped a pothole as we went around the corner. “We—the other ponies here, that is, noticed there were mental changes when we reverted back into ponies.Some of us here are worried that we’re going to completely lose our human personas as time goes on.”

The farm came into view. It was an impressively sized homestead comprised of a two-story wooden house, a weathered barn, several sheds, and a fenced off area that led off into a pasture. We were surrounded by forest on all sides with open fields that stretched off for acres and acres.

“I don’t think that I’ve lost any crucial part of who I used to be,” I said. “I still remember how I acted, all the things I learned and experienced, and the way I felt about my family and friends. Getting my old memories back just took the qualities and traits I had as a pony and added them with the ones I gained as a human, so if anything, the end result is something that’s both a little bit of Sweetie, and a little bit of Mage.”

Rarity led us off the driveway onto a grassy path that gently angled through the trees towards the farmhouse. “And are you happy with that?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” I asked. “Getting my cutie mark back actually led to an epiphany that I’m still reeling from.”

“Which was?”

I winced. “Er… um, long story. I’ll tell you about it later.”

Rarity flicked one of her ears. “Not trying to keep more secrets from me, I hope.”

“I’m not!” I said hurriedly. “Honest, I’m not. I’ll tell you about it, it’s just that I’d rather not linger on a sour note right now.”

Yes, that was the truth. And on a side note, we did wind up talking about it a few days later. She told me all the same things about how I shouldn’t beat myself up, and I found it just as hard to accept the second time around. At least I avoided another panic attack.

Rarity took care to keep her mane and tail free of the brambles that were on both sides of the path. “I guess I’m still trying to accept that there’s this whole other personality inside of me I know next to nothing about. I know it can’t be all bad seeing as it someone I used to be, but still, I’m afraid I might be different.”

I walked on unhindered thanks to being one-third of Rarity’s size. “I don’t think you need to worry about that. Shmangie knew who I was straight away when I came to her for help, and I looked like a ten-year-old girl at the time.”

“I’m not talking about what I look like,” Rarity said. “I’m talking about—”

She suddenly signalled me to stop. I obeyed, but couldn’t see the reason why. We were surrounded by tall bushes and trees. I strained my ears to see if I could hear anything, and I managed to catch snippets of Rainbow’s raspy voice.

“—aloo, Apple Bloom, and Babs… not fillies, same age as us… found us with satellites, how awesome is that… knew what to look for, said something about electro-somethings… her? Sweetie’s human sister. Been taking care of them… with Rarity, wanted some time… no idea, Twi. Ask her about it… huh? No, I don’t mind. It’s not like she’s heavy…”

Rarity raised her hoof to her lips. I nodded, and we stealthily slunk away. Rainbow’s voice continued to carry on the wind, but I tuned it out and focused on moving quietly.

There was something strange about Rarity’s questions. I understood her trepidation and uncertainty well enough, but there was something else that was setting off a red flag for me. A hesitance in her voice, a stiffness to her posture, the way she always seemed to be looking at something far away. It could've been dismissed as nerves considering the circumstances, but I kept thinking there was something more to it.

We exited the path and left the forest behind. We were now in the backyard of the farmhouse. I could see a small porch set up with a swing, a grill, and an intricate metal wind chime that played off a series of light cascading notes. The backdoor was fitted with a push bar that was set exactly at a pony’s height. Amusingly, the doorknob was completely removed.

Rarity kept her voice low as we crossed the yard. “What I meant was that I’m worried about my heart… my soul, my identity, whatever you want to call it. What if someone likes me because of who I am right now? What if restoring my memories changes me so much that it drives them away? What if I suddenly remember that I have feelings for someone else, and then I’m torn between choosing who I want to hurt? Is that a chance I really want to take? Is that a decision I want to make for the sake of someone else?”

And just like that, it was all perfectly clear.

“You’re with someone,” I said.

Rarity hung her head. “Shining Armor.”

Yeah, that was a pretty big shock. Of all the ponies she could’ve hooked up with, she had to pick one that was already married? And not just to anypony, ohhhhh no, but to an alicorn, a ruler of a sovereign nation, and the literal Princess of Love! I mean, let’s be perfectly honest here—Rarity is like, a nine out of ten.

Cadance is a fifty out of ten.

I noticed that Rarity was waiting for a reply. I tried to think of something, but nothing particularly insightful came to mind. I finally just said what I was thinking.

“Well… shit.”

Rarity frowned. “We really need to work on your language.”

I snorted. “Shall I reserve my cursing to other languages so as to not offend your sensitive ears?”

“Don’t get sassy with me.”

I somehow managed to keep a straight face despite that. The manner and tone was so perfect—so much so that I started to question whether the curse was starting to weaken on its own.

We went inside the farmhouse and went upstairs. It wasn’t much to speak of, although it did have a certain ‘lived-in’ feel that put me at ease. The wooden floors were lined with worn rugs that sank under my hooves. Photos and pictures covered the walls, almost all of them showing two well-built young men standing with various friends in various locations. There was some evidence of wear and tear—some peeling paint here, a creaky floorboard there, but all in all it seemed like a nice place.

Rarity led me to a room at the end of the upstairs hall. “In here.”

I didn’t know what to expect, but a part of me was freaking out. Even if Rarity was different, even if she hadn’t been in this house for very long, this was still her room. What would be the same? What would be different? Would I recognize anything?

The first thing that hit me was the smell of freshly cut grass. I was confused at first, but then realized it was some kind of perfume. A queen-sized bed stood in the middle that was fitted with a dark brown comforter and white sheets. The walls were bare, save for a pair of metal hanging lights that looked like they were from the 60’s. A vase with fresh flowers was on a nightstand, and a pair of scuffed dressers stood on opposite walls. Rarity was at the far dresser holding up a large black bag in her magic, pulling out sewing tools one by one as she softly hummed to herself.

I stood at the entrance and watched her for a few seconds, letting it all sink in while taking slow, deep breaths.

That is, until she stopped and looked up at me.

“Well, don’t just stand there like a dullard with your mouth hanging open,” Rarity said. “Come in! Sit on the bed. I promise I’ll stay away from you.”

My legs moved of my own accord. I was lost in nostalgia, and my body was moving on auto-pilot. I clambered up onto the bed and sat down in the middle.

“Aha!” Rarity pulled out a measuring tape from the bag. “For a second I was worried I’d forgot it. Now, I need you to sit still for me while I measure your horn. It shouldn’t take long.”

I was in a trance. I stared at Rarity with wide, unfocused eyes as a roll of tailor’s tape floated towards me in a sapphire hue. She might have thought it creepy had she been paying more attention to me, but it seemed that magic was still a little difficult for her, and so she had to keep her concentration on what she was doing.

I gulped as I felt her tingling telekinesis brush against my horn. This was a moment of truth, to see if contact with other magical fields at a distance would set off the theoretical feedback loop.

Nothing happened.

As Rarity moved the tape away, I realized I’d been holding my breath. I exhaled as quietly as I could, then cast my mind about for something more we could talk about.

“How long have you known him?” I asked.

“Hmm?” Rarity examined the tape and wrote down a few numbers on a piece of paper. “Oh, Shining. For a few years, believe it or not. We worked at the same graphic design firm in Vancouver, but never really talked much beyond a few polite words here and there. I knew he—she, rather, fancied me, and I certainly reciprocated, but neither of us ever had the courage to speak up. That all changed when we started turning into ponies, though, and we started to get close to each other then.”

I tried to hide my envy at the ease she manipulated multiple objects at once. “How close, exactly? I mean, if it’s just a physical attraction, then that’ll pass with time. I’m sure Shining’s quite a catch, but he’s not the only fish in the sea.”

Rarity began rummaging through a new bag, this one filled to the brim with various bolts of fabric. “It’s more than that. He’s smart. He’s kind. He’s considerate of my feelings and treats me right. I can talk to him for hours about the most mundane, trivial things and still not get bored. He’s been there for me when I’ve needed him, and I’ve done my best to so in turn. This is the first relationship I've had with all of that. I don't want to give it up."

“Nopony’s saying you have to,” I said. “As morbid as it is to say, we don’t even know if Cadance is still alive. And even if she is, she may have fallen in love with and gotten married to somepony else! You can’t make assumptions without knowing what’s been happening in her life, and even with that, there are still Shining’s opinions to consider.”

Rarity tossed a few bolts on the bed, then set the bag down and looked around the room. “He and I have talked about it a few times. He says that he’s happy with me, and doesn’t want to let the obligations or feelings of a past life affect things now. I believe him, but he tends to be stubborn when it comes to duty and vows. That’s what I think where I think the problem will lie.”

“Do you think he feels anything towards Cadance?”

Rarity rubbed her temples. “Not right now, no, but if you restore his memories…”

“Then he suddenly might, and those feelings may be stronger than the ones he has for you.” I clicked my teeth. “That’s certainly a pickle.”

“Quite.” Rarity walked over to one of the light fixtures on the wall. It was a dull white hollow cylinder with a single bulb set inside it. She studied it from several angles, then stepped back and lowered her horn.

“Cover your ears, dear.”

There was a ripping, tearing CRUNCH. Rarity grunted and strained, and the light fixture was completely torn free of the wall. It hovered over to land neatly on the dresser, only slightly worse for the wear.

“Phew!” she wiped the sweat off her brow. “That’s the most strenuous thing I’ve done with magic. Not too bad, though, all things considered.”

I lowered my hooves from my ears. “Nice job, Chevy Chase. You just tore out a chunk of the drywall and exposed the insulation.”

“Well, we’re on a timeline, aren’t we?” Rarity shrugged and began dismantling the light fixture. “I could’ve taken it off with a screwdriver, but I don’t know where one is. Sometimes the straightest path is through the mud.”

I was about to give a retort, but then a certain memory of a destroyed door surfaced in my mind. I decided to abstain from hypocrisy and started thinking about Rarity’s situation as I watched her work.

“I’m caught between a rock and a hard place,” she muttered to herself. “I know you want me to have my memories back, and I really do want to be your sister, but I’m worried that it might change how I feel about Shining, and if he gets his memories back, then it might change how he feels about me! I don’t know what to do!”

I closed my eyes and grit my teeth. This wasn’t fair. Not to her, not to me, and not to anypony else involved. Rarity had followed her heart without knowing any better, and that wasn’t something she should be punished for. I hated seeing her so lost and frustrated. I hated that me coming here had threatened to cause a rift in her love life. The cold, hard rage was building again, and I felt it forming in my stomach like a black ball.

“You shouldn’t have to choose,” I said. “There has to be a way that we can work this out. We’re all mature, responsible adults. There’s no reason why a compromise can’t be made.”

“Things aren’t so easy when it comes to love.” Rarity began using her magic to mold the light fixture into a smaller shape. It was made of a very light, flimsy metal, so it wasn’t as impressive as it sounds. “If Cadance wants him, she’ll fight tooth and nail to get him back. I suppose I have a legitimate claim to him as well, but it’ll really come down to how Shining feels. I’ll need to talk to him and see what he wants to do. And it’ll also depend on if Cadance shows up here in the coming days.”

“This is so stupid!” I punched the bed and stood up. “Why do you have to go through all this uncertainty and grief over something that you didn’t even know about? This isn’t your fault! This isn’t Shining’s fault! This isn’t Cadance’s fault! You know whose fault it is? DISCORD’S! That slimy, rotten, malformed, mismatched piece of trash! He caused all this! He’s the one making us all suffer! He’s the one who took everything from us and dumped us here to rot!”

Rarity looked up at me with dark eyes. “Believe me, if I could somehow make him pay for all the things he’s done, I’d take it in a heartbeat. I’d be slow, I’d be methodical, and I’d make sure that he felt every single second of it. I wouldn’t be alone, either. I know the others are just as eager for revenge as me.”

“I HATE HIM!” I started magically throwing pillows against the wall. “I HATE HIM, I HATE HIM, I HATE HIM! I JUST WANT TO GO HOME! I JUST WANT THINGS TO GO BACK TO NORMAL! I JUST WANT MY FAMILY BACK! WHY DID ALL OF THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN TO US?!”

“Sweetie Belle!”

I froze in mid-cast. The pillow fell to the ground. The tone in which Rarity had said my name was loud, stern, and carried with it force of a thousand lectures and guilt trips. I reluctantly turned, and found her chin lowered as her eyes burned into mine.

“There will be a time and place for you to let out your anger.” The modified light fixture hovered beside her as a bolt of white cloth wrapped around it. “But it’s not now. We'll get our chance to set things right, and when we do, we'll make sure that all debts are paid in full. It’ll take time, it’ll take cunning, and it’ll most definitely take a great deal of patience, but if we keep a cool head and take the small victories when we can, we’ll get to the finish line.”

My breath came in short, ragged gasps. The anger was bleeding away, but I didn’t want it to. I wanted to be mad. I wanted to freak out and break things. I wanted to grab onto this adrenaline rush and never let it go, because I knew what would follow immediately after if I did.

“I don't want to hurt you,” I said through clenched teeth. “I don’t want to you to wind up heartbroken because you got caught in a love triangle. I don’t want you to have to choose between me and the stallion you want. I just… I just want you to be happy, that’s all.“

Rarity looked down at the ground. “We don’t always get the things we want. I don’t want to hurt you, either, but I can’t make any promises until I know how Shining feels about his old memories. Someone's going to end up getting burned If we’re not careful about this, and that’s not something any of us want.”

I sat down on my haunches.and sighed. ”No, it's not.”

A silence developed as Rarity finished her work. I zoned out and only half-paid attention due to swimming in an olympic-sized pool of angst. I kept going over the same thoughts over and over, trying to figure out the best way I could resolve this situation. I came up with nothing. I knew Rarity was right that we needed more info before we could really move on this, but I couldn’t help but gnaw on it like a dog on an old bone.

“Finished!”

I looked up, and what I saw made me gasp. What was once an old, shoddy light fixture was now a perfect replica of my horn. It was exact in almost every way, from the color to the fluted patterns to the stubby tip. It was hollow, of course, and it slowly floated towards me as I looked on in awe.

“Hold still,” Rarity said.

The metal sheath slipped onto my horn. I felt a strange twinge of panic as it touched my skin, but it passed as quickly as it had come.

“There.” She stepped back and admired her work. “Does it fit okay?”

I reached up and touched the sheath. It felt cold to the touch, but a little bit of magic would warm it up. I grinned at Rarity. “Like a glove.”

Rarity snickered. “I made it so that it’s a snug fit, so that means it doesn't have any room to grow. Come to me whenever it starts feeling uncomfortable and I'll readjust it.”

I suddenly felt cold. I stopped fiddling with the sheath and began rubbing my arms. There was really only one thing left to do, but the repercussions of it were enough to turn all my anger and frustration into dread. I sincerely wanted to be right about this, and I didn’t have any reason to think I was wrong, but on the other hoof, I was playing with forces I understood very little about.

“So…” Rarity trailed off.

I nodded. “So.”

She shifted back and forth. “Do you… want to test it?”

I took a slow, deep breath. “May as well.”

Rarity nodded. “Come here, then.”

I got up and went to the end of the bed. Rarity came over and met me there. I was shaking like a leaf in a windstorm as we stood only a few feet apart. Rarity wasn’t much better, although she was at least able to keep a straight face. I tried to find words to say, but the lump in my throat effectively killed my voice. Instead I looked I looked into her eyes, those beautiful, sapphire eyes, and dared to hope as I reached out and touched her quivering shoulder with a hoof.

Nothing.

Rarity looked down. “Does that mean—”

“Hold on,” I said quickly. “There’s still one more test.”

I scooted a little closer, now only inches away from her. I heard her breath quicken, but she kept still nonetheless. I kept a close watch for any feelings of magic being set off, but I didn’t feel anything. I finally threw caution to the wind, and lowered my sheathed horn to gently poke her in the chest.

Absolute, glorious nothing.

I did it a few more times to be sure, but it seemed that the sheath worked. I looked up and saw Rarity happily smiling at me.

“See? Small victories.”

And finally I could hold it in no more. My eyes burned, my chest went tight, and I latched onto her and hugged her as hard as I could. The tears came fast and free, and I made no effort to stop them.

“I m-missed you,” I whispered. “So m-much…”

We sat there together reunited at last. Rarity hugged me back, rocking me back and forth as I cried.

“It’s okay, Sweetie," she said. "Everything’s going to be all right.”

Author's Note:

Bluh bluh huge chapter.

Lot of work went into this one. Hope you guys like it.