• Published 14th Jun 2013
  • 3,117 Views, 586 Comments

Stories in Stone, Lost Empire - TDR



The teenage CMC go on an adventure to find the reason for Applebloom's nightmares. 3rd book in the SiS saga.

  • ...
11
 586
 3,117

Changes, Part 2 [27]

Stories in Stone
Lost Empire
By TDR

Changes
Part 2

[ Long before Equestria existed. During the Three Tribes War, two weeks after the battle of Snow Point ]




“So this is all you have found out then Starswirl?” the griffon asks looking over a sheet of parchment. “The mare didn't know anything else?”

“No, Crystal didn't know anything else. Even in her subconscious there were only vague images, mostly of the larger ground bound creature.” Starswirl sighs. “I figured Mobius would have mentioned all this when he spoke with you earlier.”

The dark gray griffon god glances over at the light gray alicorn and the expression on the stallions bearded face. He ruffles his feathers a bit, the white down under the dark feathers briefly being flashed before he smooths them out again, lifting a golden claw to point at the map on the table his light gray fur still looking a bit ruffled.

“How many?”the griffon asks.

“How many what, Storm Front?” Starswirl asks.

“Aries, sorry, villages I suppose you call them. How many have you lost?” the griffon asks, his blue eyes staring at the alicorn.

Starswirl returned the stare a moment before grumbling to himself.

“We don't know exactly. With the war on most of the tribes are scattered into battle zones or contested areas. Unicornia, Marbleville, and Cumulus City are all untouched. But those are only the capitols. There are countless outlying farms and outposts and smaller towns. What reports I have gotten show a increase of attacks against all three tribe's villages. They are blaming each other and reports of a new plague that steals cutiemarks are circulating. The major cities are being hit with flocks of refugees and we have gotten a few here as well from the neighboring settlements we trade with. Slate has his work cut out for him as none of the refugees get along very well.”

“Yet you still won't reveal yourselves to the population as a whole?” Storm Front asks.

“No, particularly not now in the middle of this. We would be blamed for what is going on. This place doesn't have an army or anything like that and we would be destroyed.” the alicorn sighs. “ Please don't start that discussion with me, I get it bad enough from Mobius.”

“I was not attempting to do that. I was segwaying into this.” Storm Front comments picking up a bit of charcoal from the edge of the table. The dark griffon looks over the world map a moment before marking six spots in the griffon nation with X's. Only two of them had names by them.

“What is this? “ Starswirl asks.

“Cloudseeker, Snowholme, Foggy Albion, Albatross, Pommelpei, and Howling Cleft aeries.”

“I'm afraid I only know two of those, the ones on the map there.” Starswirl comments.

“No need to recall them now. They don't exist any more.” Storm Front states.

“What?! How?!”

“I was sent here as liaison because the elder griffon gods expected that I knew nothing of what was happening. They foolishly thought my age makes me stupid. I know more of what is going on then they do, it seems they are willing to hide this, to try and avoid any blame. There are a number of things I am going to say that the others have kept silent about for a very long time. I do not think we can survive like that in the face of this so I am going to be honest with you in what I know. I would prefer if this does not get back to them however, I do not fancy seeing if they can figure out a way to send a god to the chopping block and make it stick.”

“Alright. I will discuss this with others, but I will not say it was from you.”

“Howling Cleft was the first to go. We think that is actually where all of this started in fact. Centuries ago before your time and mine, the Griffon gods returned to the Griffons. My predecessors kept themselves aloof as you did and when they returned there was a great deal of strife and hardship as they tried to get the noble factions under control. They managed it of course.”

“Yes by beheading those who still fought against them.” Starswirl snorts.

“Violent yes, but it worked... Almost.”

“Almost?”

“Aside from a few rebel groups, there was one griffon, a powerful spell caster who had been on the verge of claiming the throne in Howling Cleft. He had eliminated nearly all the royal family save the youngest daughter. His name was Star Charmer. He was an odd sort, one of the few of my kind who didn't eat meat claiming it would only weaken him to eat prey animals. There are of course the rumors that he did indeed eat meat, but that it had to be smart enough to give him a challenge, and I do not mean a clever rabbit or fish.”

“Appalling... “ mutters Starswirl “ But what does this have to do with anything?”

“I am getting to that. Not long after the griffon gods took over again, he vanished before they could find him, spewing some nonsense about revenge. “ Storm Front sighs. “I believe he is back and that he is the creator of these.. things.”

“How is that even possible?”

Storm Front drops the charcoal back on the table wiping his claws on the edge of the map.

“Tell me Starswirl, have you every heard of the Books of Orbsah? In particular one that is called The Jade Scroll?”

====================================================

Crystal looked down at the plate before her, staring at it with her good eye as if it was going to fade out of existence like an unbelievable dream.

The dish before her was piled high with steamed broccoli, carrots. and even a mashed potato with some green things on top and what she was sure was butter and pepper. All she had been given while in the hospital was a bit of mash and what ever foods the doctors thought she wouldn't have to chew in case it interfered with her horns healing. Sunray and Ginger sat at the table as well their plates just as covered with food as hers was. Sunray was simply eating as if this was nothing special, Ginger was as well although she also stared intently at the black unicorn.

“Ginger would you stop staring at her it's impolite.” Sunray comments not looking up from her food.

“Stuff it Sunray, do you know how much fun it is to see someone's eyes... well eye, light up like it's their birthday? There's always a point where it hits them and it's all just from some food?” Ginger snaps back.

“How.. how is this even possible?” Crystal gapes “ What even are these green things? And butter where the heck did you get butter? And SPICES? I barely got over the idea that you might have strawberries in summer but this? And THIS IS JUST LUNCH?!!”

“There it is. “ Ginger grins.

“All three races live here in harmony Crystal. The Earth ponies that can, tend the land. The pegasi that can help maintain the weather to what is proper to grow and the unicorns that can help with some of the trading we do with other races as well as magical support the other two. There's more to it than that of course, but we have a relatively small population here and no real royalty or nobility to take the lions share of what we do get.” Sunray explains. “While there are a number of ponies like ourselves who were injured or found our way here, most in this place were born here. After you eat we'll introduce you to some of the notable ones.”

Crystal may or may not have heard her as she was digging into the food with the gusto of some one who was starving while Ginger rooted her on.

“See those are called chives and they are sort of a spice and the butter is from a trade deal with the yaks, very angry fellows and isolationist as well, but Mobius struck a deal they seemed to like , though you don't want to get them mad they tend to break stuff. Slate broke three of the legs of the last one who tried it here though.” Ginger rambles. “See this sort of thing is why I hate military rations they give out, stale oat paste or maybe a cup of carrots if you're lucky is not enough food for any pony....”

Ginger continues to ramble on pausing occasionally to slap Crystal on the back when she chokes on something as she wolfs it down. Sunray had given up her own explanation and just buried her face in her hooves.

===================================================

“Fascinating. So this griffon became a book. I was unaware such a thing was possible.” Starswirl mutters.” Did he have any notes?”

“Chickadee told me they were all destroyed. I can understand why they would be. Dangerous stuff. I have some reports of the monsters as well. From what the few survivors said the one with the pony body and the minotaur upper body was called Tirek, the one with the wings was called Scorpan. What worries me is the power that was used to destroy the aeries. I rivals that of some gods I've seen. All except Howling Cleft, It was destroyed yes, but not with the complete devastation shown in the other ones. They seem to be getting stronger.”

“Yes Mobius's own contacts have said the same. There are also traces of some strange magic on the ponies we recovered without a cutiemark. Each time they attack one of the tribes settlements Mobius and I can feel them a little more clearly. I've speculated that these things are some how drawing power from ponies. What about with the griffons?”

“We don't have anything like that. They only kill griffons, there's none in any sort of magical coma.”

Starswirl sighs looking at the map. “So it seems they are not just attacking us then. We have a representative from the Harpies. Perhaps they know something.”

“I wouldn't get your hopes up with the Harpy.” Storm Front mutters.

“This is a bit of a crisis Storm Front. I would ask that you set aside your issues with the Harpies for a time.” Starswirl snorts.

The dark griffon waves a claw dismissively.

“No no, it's not that, I do not care one way or another about the Harpies.”

“Then what is it?”

“They sent Cloud Dust.” Storm Front states seemingly exasperated just saying the females name.

“By the Stars.... she's the last thing I need.”

“And here I thought Chickadee was the last thing you needed?” Storm Front smirks.

“I didn't need either of them. Both spend any time they get around me hitting on me!” Starswirl grumbles.

“Well if your beard wasn't so sexy....”

“Don't you start!!” Starswirl snaps.

“Of course not, “ Storm Front chuckles. “Do you mind if I have a look at the sleeping ones or a talk with the mare you found?”

“Certainly. I am not sure what you might figure out, but perhaps you might see something I did not.”Starswirl admits.

===============================================

The pale red looked down at the black unicorn with one eye and a broken horn. The unicorn stared up at the pale red pegasus mare towering over her, with a horn nearly twice as long as any other unicorn she had ever seen.

“I am having a very hard time with this.” Crystal states finally.

“With what?” the tall red mare asks.

“That there are three of you alicorns running around. Until I came here I didn't even think there was one.”

Sunray shakes her head and Ginger smirks. The taller mare chuckles lightly looking over at the reddish three legged mare.

“Ginger did you set her up to meet me without telling her anything about me?”

“Well no, not entirely. I told her that you were the compassionate soul in charge of the foal's schooling and care in town, though I never exactly explained anything else past you were really tall.” Ginger grins trying to play innocent.

“I apologize. I deal with you so often I forget I am supposed to consider you odd any more.” Sunray comments with a sigh. “Crystal this is Ghost Dancer, Ghost Dancer this is Crystal.”

The pale red mare smiles nodding slightly, her white mane was cut short to her head, styled into a row of hair spikes that ran from her horn down to her back. Her tail was heavily braided as well, pulled tight enough that the off white hair seemed to be solid , though this too had little hair spikes in it. It took Crystal another moment to notice that the wings closed to her sides only had a few feathers along the upper edges, otherwise they seemed to be a odd leathery material like a bats or a dragons. The oddest part was the mare didn't have a cutiemark.

“Well let's start with the fact I am not an alicorn.” Ghost Dancer explains taking on a some what sickeningly sweet tone as if she was about to teach a foal.

“Really? Cause the horn and the wings say otherwise....” Crystal comments cutting off the explanation.

“Bit of a rude one hmm?” the larger mare smiles, unphased.

“Oh she I,s you should have heard what she called me when she woke up!” Ginger chuckles. “Racial slurs in the first sentence!”

“ I already apologized for that.... Twice.” Crystal grumbles. “Which reminds me you have yet to apologize to me, Ginger.”

“For what?” Ginger asks.

“For calling her a pinhead.” mutters Sunray.

“Oh yeah that... well forget it, you started it.” Ginger states waving her fore hoof, getting a sigh from Sunray, a head shake from Crystal and a slight laugh from Ghost Dancer.

“Well seems you three are getting along well enough. Some what a surprise, though it does mean my dad is right about the whole friendship is magic thing. Ah well.” The tall mare comments stretching her wings out a moment, giving a good view of the thin leathery appendages that when spread did look more like a dragons wings than a bats. “Still it's impressive, particularly after all of you were plucked out of a war zone. Most of the others who came from the tribes still hold onto their resentment for a long time after they get here.”

“Yes well... they won't leave me alone to properly sulk. Also they are not trying to kill me which is a big help to avoid conflict.” Crystal shrugs glancing back as the other two start to argue over something, completely ignoring the unicorn and pale red mare. “Starswirl or what ever has been driving home what this place is while I'm asleep too. Even with all that I still don't believe this place is real.”

“It's real, though it took a lot of work to get started. I'm glad Uncle Starry is taking time to talk to you. We don't need any more reports about an alicorn trying to seduce everyone in their dreams.”

“What?”Crystal asks.

“I love my dad to death, but he's a perv, simple as that. No clue what mom sees in him.”

“What? Your fathers a...... so I was right! You are an alicorn!” Crystal states triumphantly.

“Nope. I'm no more an alicorn than my brother. Dad is though. His names Mobius, I'm sure you'll meet him at some point if you haven't already. Uncle Starry calls me a 'Variant Pegicorn'. I'm supposed to be insanely rare or something. Seems to be an alicorn you need to have parts of all three races of pony. I've only got unicorn from dad's side.” Ghost Dancer explains.

“Then what are the wings?”

“Mom's a dragon.” Ghost Dancer explains flatly.

“Dragon!?” Crystal sits down looking both confused and disturbed. “But dragons eat ponies....”

“Yeah well if you listen to dad, mom eats him rather well and vice versa. Granted that's not an image I want in my head or to pass on and I don't know why I said it now, so moving on. Rogue dragons might eat ponies, though very few dragons can stomach meat, their primary diet is crystals and certain stones. And as you can see by me and by my brother Slate when you meet him, cross breeding is possible....... annnd I've said too much. I should have just asked if you were feeling alright.”

Crystal blinks her eye glazing a little before she closes her eye lowering her head with a faint wince.

”Are you alright?” the half dragon looks down at her concerned.

“Yeah .. I'm fine. Bit over whelmed is all I haven't even been here that long and I'm being subjected to life changing views.....” Crystal comments putting a hoof on her stomach and sticking her tongue out a little. “ Plus I ate too much.”

Ghost Dancer chuckles. “Well if you need help, or a break away from these two and their bickering let me know okay? I've got a small place of my own you can hide for a bit if you don't mind getting swarmed with dragonflies and or foals.”

“Um thanks.... I'll keep that in mind.” Crystal says still mulling over the genetics of the pegicorn. She blinks feeling a hoof on her back, she turns getting nose to nose with Ginger , who's attention was on her bandaged horn. “Wha?”

“No seepage into the bandages, the sealant seems to be holding well. You up to continue? We have at least two more for you to meet before we go see Swirly.”

“Yeah .. I'm fine.” Crystal admits.

“Alright then shall we continue, I am pretty sure Hammer is at the forge and Slate is around as well, all newcomers need to meet him. Thank you for your time Ghost.” Sunray nods.

“Oh no trouble. You all take care now.” Ghost dancer smiles her eyes following the trio as they walked off, in particular the unicorn. There was something about the mare that stuck with her despite the faintly brash personality she had. Ghost Dancer couldn't recall the last time she explained her linage that freely to some one either. Odd.

==================================================

“You haven't tried to flirt with me in..... at least five minutes. How bad is it?” Starswirl mutters looking down at the map as the other alicorn moved closer to the table.

“Cumulus City is gone. The cloudhomle was broken up and the ground underneath where it was is littered with bodies and the ruins of the city.

“Accident? One of the other tribes?”

“No cutie marks on the bodies.”

“Damn.”

“It gets worse.” Mobius states pulling a sack of parchment from his saddle bag dropping it on the table.” I sent dreams to a number of leaders and my contacts, their responses were less than stellar when they managed to respond at all. My contact in the Zebra's lands is in hiding, a number of the larger tribes were destroyed, most were left in comas like the ponies here. The targets seemed to be the zebra gods themselves. I couldn't make contact with the sea ponies or dogs, though at least one of the seapony settlements had been destroyed according to one of my contacts. Nothing from the Griffons or Harpies either.”

“A number of Griffon aeries have been destroyed. Storm Front confirmed this already. I've noticed something as well with the reports. The creatures hit a pony town, then a griffon one, or a dog one before returning to a pony town. Why? ”

“I hate to ruin that thought train but they were in the zebra lands for nearly a week before coming back.”

“Yes but the zebras were left in comas, ponies are left in comas, but griffons are killed out right?” Starswirl grumbles. “What do the races have in common?”

“Aside from being equine? Both races have cutiemarks, are primarily vegetarian, have cute flanks, have more than one kind of creature making up their race?” Mobius lists.

“I wish there was more information on what happened to the sea ponies. I might have a theory if some of them are in comas as well. Something about the cutiemarks being missing gives the impression that perhaps they are being drained some how. Perhaps the creatures are stealing their talents and converting them into power some how? Though it is like their minds are gone as well as there is nothing there that either of us can see with or dream walking. They are neither awake or asleep they are simply there.. There is so little information on well anything.”

“if it is about the marks, it would explain why griffons are just being killed. What about the Windigo?” Mobius asks.

“I don't know.....”

“Swirly you are the only one they talk to. If they know anything you are the only one who can find out.”

“I don't want to talk about them. I agreed to leave them be so I am.”

“This is a bad situation Starswirl. That you don't want to check on your own children bothers me.” Mobius growls.

“They are not my children......”Starswirl rants.

“You created them of your own blood. I cannot think of any other thing to call them.” Mobius snaps. “I am well aware that you consider them a mistake of your studies, but I am also aware you are still trying to fix what went wrong with them in case you have a chance to do it again. You never could let anything go involving her. ”

“They feed off strife and conflict and death! How can I not consider them a mistake........ All I was doing was studying her Draconequus .....” Starswirl slumps.

“I was there when it happened Starswirl all of it.” Mobius sighs. “You needn't explain yourself, I know Coquette did a number on you but you still you need to check with the Windigo. You can't ignore them and simply hope they go away.”

“They were a mistake Mobius. I set out to make a race that feeds only on emotion... a race that will not suffer from blights or starvation.... The Windigo feed on hate.... that is not a sustainable emotion, or if it is I do not wish it on the world.”

“ They do not cause hostility Swirly. Only feed from it.” Mobius sighs. “ I wonder if this is another reason you do not wish to reveal us to the ponies. Fear your children would starve if the wars stop.”

“We make mistakes Mobius, we are no better than the mortals we would be in charge of. We are failable gods, there is no reason we should try to rule, we would be no better than the kings they have.”

“We have longer to correct our mistakes, and the memory to ensure others do not make the ones we did. Moving past this we need more information and a plan of action. We have work to do and your mares should be here soon.” Mobius snickers.” You know for a self proclaimed bachelor....”

“IT”S NOT LIKE THAT!!” Starswirl shouts turning a bit red. “I wanted to talk to Crystal in person and the other two are helping me with some studies on how to use crystal resonation........”

“And just like that you are out of your funk. Unfortunately you are falling back into teacher mode.” Mobius sighs. “ Your mood swings will be the stuff of legend. Still it is a shame.”

“What?”

“The three mares, we could call them Swirlie's Angels. Has a nice ring to it.” Mobius chuckles.

================================================

“So you are saying the metal from the sky eats magic?” an almost musical tone questions.

“Hammer say nothing of the sort. Hammer say that unicorns claim casting harder when they near metal, need to put more power into spell. Hammer say it give them headaches. Hammer say nothing about food.” a brutish sounding voice states.

“That's not what I meant by eat. Ugh never mind some times it is so hard to talk to you.”

“Hammer not sure what pretty bird means. Hammer easy to talk to, just open mouth and make words come out for Hammer to hear.”

“Awww you called me pretty.”

The trio of 'Swirlie's Angels' paused outside of the entrance to the blacksmiths forge, flinching a little at the wash of heat billowing out of the open blue double door. Smoke billowed out of one of the stacks on top of the stone building though other than the door and the chimney it was a featureless gray structure of stone.

“I am assuming that Hammer is the one speaking in third pony?” Crystal questions.

“Yep, sounds like Cloud Dust is in there too, she said she would come back when it was hatching time. She has yet to miss that since I've known her.” Ginger points out.

“Hatching time? Cloud Dust?” Crystal asks getting a small nod from Sunray as Ginger trots up to the door.

“Cloud Dust is the Harpies ambassador, granted she is here more than she is at home. As for the Hatching time, every few years the Crystal Dragonflies who live here lay eggs. That is why there are so many around here now.” Sunray explains.

Crystal looks up in the air and around at the taller structures seeing hundreds of the brightly colored bugs clinging to roof beams or walls, fanning their wings or simply milling about. Their forms glittering in the sun light and casting multicolored hues over everything making the town seem even more whimsical and otherworldly than it already was.

“I sorta thought this was normal.”

“Well I can see why, you showed up right around the start of the hatching, normally the dragonflys live further north near the hot springs and the volcanoes in the northern range. One of these days I suppose I need to explain about the Dragon flies I guess. They are why Starswirl and Mobius decided to settle here in the first place to protect them from the dragons. There's more to it, but let's get you introduced to Hammer and Cloud Dust first.” Sunray explains.

“Some one mention my name?” A voice states from between the white pegasus and the black unicorn. Both of them leap aside whirling to face the speaker. Sunray stumbles as if she was expecting her missing wings to work. Crystal tries to throw up a shield before crying out and sitting down hard her hooves going to her bandaged head.

“Was it something I said?” Between the two of them was what could only be described as a condensed rainbow. Standing perhaps only as tall as a normal ponies shoulders appeared to be a fox like creature, possibly a relative to a diamond dog although more lithe than stocky. This particular one had grayish blue fur and large feathered wings instead of forearms that had small claws at the first major joint of her wings like a bat, though instead of the skin like membrane she had a plethora of multi colored feathers of nearly every bright hue imaginable. Her tail was bushy like a foxes, but as also filled with feathers, she didn't have anything like a mane, though a crest of the same feathers ran up to between her almost comically large ears. Large red eyes glanced back and forth between the two ponies as Ginger sat off to the side, trying to stop laughing so she could check on Crystal.

“Did pretty bird scare some ponies again?” the booming voice calls out from inside the building.

“Yeah Hammer I think I did. It's just Sunray though... and another pony I don't know...... Wait a pony I don't know. Oooh, a pony here I don't know!” the bird creature's large ears perk up as she darts forward in a blur of color that was almost painful to watch, her nose nearly touching Crystal's. “ Hello , I'm Cloud Dust ! Who are you? Wait you have one eye, do I need to stand over here? Am I invisible over here?“

The Harpy bounced, moving back and forth from Crystal's blind side and into her vision giggling madly as Crystal stared at her in confusion. Sunray growls grabbing the bird and pulling her away from Crystal, much to the Harpies protest.

“Hey let go this is no way to treat an ambassador!! I have diplomatic immunity! HALP HALP I'M BEING REPRESSED!” Cloud Dust shouts flailing against the white pegasus who had given up trying to restrain her and was simply trying to stop the bird from flailing around like a headless chicken. “ Come and see the violence inherent in the system!!!”

A loud thud drew Crystal's attention to the door as a massive figure seemed to unfold out of it. The dark purple furred figure stretched up as he emerged, towering at least twice as tall as even the alicorns Crystal had seen. Black hooves thudded in the dirt as the figure cricks his massive arms, the muscled limbs seeming as thick as tree trunks. A number of scars cross his arms and large hands, looking like burn marks more than anything else. A massive bull head topped the towering brute, with large ash covered horns that stretched out to his shoulder's width, both points topped in what looked like dull iron caps. Soft brown eyes look down on the scene below him before he cricked his neck, the audible pops making Crystal flinch.

“Hammer demands to know what is going on?” the massive minotaur boomed.

“I, wa, who...” Crystal stammers as the large bull looks down at her.

“Dusty here surprised two solider ponies again, luckily one couldn't blast her and the other has the control not to make her a feather duster.” Ginger explains.. “Feather C loud Duster.... hehe...”

“Oh.” Hammer snorts as the Harpy flutters free of Sunray who seemed content to let the bird creature go with only a half hearted swipe at her with a hoof. The rainbow colored harpy flutters up to land on the massive bull's shoulder sticking her tongue out at the white pegasus. Sunray snorts tossing her head as Ginger pulls away from Crystal after checking her head.

“ You gonna be okay?” Ginger questions.” Sorry about that, Cloud Dust is usually a bundle of laughs, though she gets carried away and has no concept of personal space. Although that last bit might just be a harpy thing.”

“Yeah... fine, that hurt a lot more than I thought it would.” Crystal mutters.

“Pony alright?” Hammer questions.

“We should bring her back to the hospital.” Sunray comments. “You tried to cast something, I could feel it.”

“Shield spell... kinda an instinct.” mutters Crystal. “ I'm fine.”

“But...” Ginger adds.

“I'm fine really..” Crystal comments standing back up if a bit wobbly.

“Yeah I can tell....” Sunray snorts.

Hammer had been listening in and glanced up at the harpy on his shoulder who sighed slightly as the two watched the pegasus and earth pony try to mother the clearly stubborn unicorn.

“Pony says she is fine, then Hammer says she is fine. It's nearly time for this batch. Come into Hammer's shop. Hammer needs to check on the eggs and Hammer cannot do that out here.” The minotaur turns ducking back into the door and some how fitting both himself and the harpy though it without dislodging her. Crystal also noted that the minotaur's back was a much lighter shade than his front, where he had seemed dark purple his back was almost lavender. Crystal blinked at that though a glance to the others showed they either didn't notice or care about the two colors. She shrugs supposing it wasn't important before following Sunray into the smithy, with Ginger hopping along behind.

=========================================================

Storm Front narrowed his eyes looking over the pony on the bed before him with a small sigh. One of the doctors stood nearby watching to ensure the safety of his patients. The griffon would have been offended if he wasn't just as aware of how often his kind acted like vultures and thieves.

That was not the point now.

The point was the oddity of this. None of the ponies had cutie marks, they all were unconsciousness as well. But they felt different.

Storm Front was well known as a Griffon God who had command of lightning and storm, that was the truth , but not all of it.

It was electricity itself he had control over, lightning was just the most showy and powerful, The static of ruffling feathers, the artificial lightning some of Starswirl's toys used, and perhaps the strangest, the electrical currents running through nearly every living thing.

He had not learned to harness or adjust the flows in a living creature any further than overloading them a bit and stunning one temporarily, but he had plenty of time to practice with it and perhaps he would make a breakthrough in a century or so.

For now however he could feel something wrong with these ponies. There was far too much energy running through them. It wasn't magic, though he expected it was what Starswirl had mentioned he felt. It was a strange sort of energy that nearly hid the ponies own. It wasn't enough to keep them stunned and most of it seemed to be focused around their heads for some reason likely disrupting the electrical pulses there.

Storm Front considered trying to disrupt the current, but decided against it. His own control was not perfect at this level of detail and he would probably only make things worse. Still he took note that there were two types of energy that were running through the ponies here. He let the doctor know some of the information and made marks on all the clipboard held papers at the end of each bed as to which type of electricity was filling them.

This wasn't much, but it would be something new to Starswirl and Mobius he expected.

===================================================

The inside of the forge was much larger than Crystal had expected. Seriously, way larger. Hammer could easily stand upright and even if he reached up ward he would still be at least twice his own body length from the ceiling of the chamber. The place seemed wider than even the hospital was and the walls were lined with a mix of ore's and ingots of various metals, armors that seemed to be in several stages of repair or construction and weapons of the same. Numerous doors radiated out from the central room, likely leading to other area of the forge and possibly the minotaur's quarters, though crystal could see a tunnel stretching out past her field of vision through one of the open doors. The center of the room was dominated by a massive iron hexagonal table that seemed to double as a large anvil, though there were a number of other anvils in the room of various sizes as well. She recognized some sort of odd smelter in the corner that seemed to glow with a blue light. The central table is what held her attention the most. A glowing smoke stack, that seemed to hum and flicker blue hung over the central table just above a pool of white hot metal that was in a recess in the large anvil's center. Covering the metal table were dozens and dozens of small spherical objects, the eggs she expected. Hanging off the smoke stack, eyes glinting in the light, were a pair of massive blue and green crystal dragon flies that were both larger than a pony. The pair regarded the new comers with interest, their eyes seeming to whirl between purple and blue.

“What?” Crystal stammers sitting down hard near the door.

“Huh?” Sunray asks.

“What?” Crystal asks waving a hoof at the large chamber.

“Bigger on the inside isn't it?” Ginger giggles.

“What....” Crystal responds.

“One of Starswirl's inventions.” Cloud Dust shrugs. He claims the heart of the forge is a dwarf star or something too.”

“What!?.....” Crystal flails her fore legs at the sheer impossible size of the place.

“It magic. Hammer does not have to explain shit.” the minotaur growls. “Hammer say the less you think about it the less unbelievable it seems. Until you see indoor lake.”

Crystal blinks calming down a little, likely best not to think hard on it, these were alicorns after all. There was no telling what they could do. She tried to ignore the room and focused instead on the dragon flies and the eggs on the table. “Okay, so what's going on?”

“Dragon flies need a great deal of heat to hatch their eggs. The forge is perfect for those living in town who have bonded with a pony or the like.” Sunray explains. “ That way they don't have to fly out to the mountains and risk injury or getting eaten to lay their eggs.”

“Bonded?” Crystal questions.

“Some of the dragon flies find a pony, or harpy or whatever, they like when they hatch, and then they stick with them. The pony really doesn't have to care for the dragonfly and the dragon flies aren't pets, more like companions. They are their own race, fairly intelligent, can speak, and often act as messengers for their chosen. They don't mind much, often though they outlive their chosen pony and stick with the family of the pony they chose.” Sunray points out.

“Out live? By how long?”

“No one is really sure.” Cloud Dust chirps. “If you noticed all the statues of dragon flies around, those are actually dragon flies. They can become sorta stone like when they hibernate often they grow larger when they do. We don't know how long they can hibernate for either. They only describe it as many moons. They have no concept of time.”

“Hammer has been here for three hatching's. Every three years.” Hammer nods.

“Hard to work on anything with the eggs on your anvil. Likely cuts into your work.” Crystal comments.

“Hammer does not mind. Hammer has other anvils Hammer can use. Often Hammer has to make room for many more eggs. Only few clutches this year. “

“How generous of you. Why are there so few though?” Crystal asks looking up at the minotaur who shrugs, the harpy on his shoulder doing the same.

“Danger come. Crystal Empire not safe.” A voice chirped , sounding much like the noise made by running a hoof tip along the wet rim of a glass.

“What?”

“Don't start that again.” Cloud Dust grumbles. “Most of them flew towards the mountains only a few of them remained. All of them say a danger is coming. The alicorns know however.”

“But there are so many out there around the city.” Crystal points out.

“Guards. Little help, but something.” the dragon fly states. “And.... sacrifice.”

“That is new.” Hammer grumbles. “Hammer want's to know what sacrifice London?”

“London?” Crystal asks.

“That's the male's name, the female's name is Vienna.” Ginger explains.

“Which is which? Crystal asks getting a shrug from Ginger.

“Not for pony, for us.” the dragon fly mutters. “Have seen, is done.”

“Have seen?” Crystal comments.

“Starswirl believes that the Crystal Dragon flies have some sort of precognitive abilities.” Sunray states.

“They can see the future, well glimpses of it.” Ginger grins simplifying the comment. “ They predicted an earth quake a few years ago that saved a number of lives, and supposedly a bunch of other stuff. I don't think they have control over what they see though.”

“Hatching.” one of the dragonflies chimes.

The small groups attention turns as the first loud cracks sound out in the chamber. Looking down at the massive anvil a number of the eggs had started to splinter, clattering and shattering like broken glass. All the talking ended as all eyes focused on the little eggs. Crystal was expecting some sort of larva or worm, like most bugs, though she was quite surprised when a tiny pink dragon fly, slightly smaller than a normal dragon fly clamored up out of the broken eggshell and perched atop it slowly spreading out it's duel wings, fanning the limp things to work circulation and blood into them that it would need to fly. The first pink one was followed by dozens of others, a good fifty or sixty hatching with only a few eggs remaining still.

Crystal leaned in to get a closer look at the little bugs, in no small amount of awe at the glimmering movements of their wings fanning and reflecting the firelight. The heat of the forge felt good to her bandaged head as well. It was a bit of a struggle not to doze off in the heat, though a sudden blur and a bit of weight on her nose, shook her out of the growing stupor. Her eye widened as one of the little green dragon flies had lept off the anvil and landed on her nose. She froze in place, growing a bit cross eyed trying to keep her eye on the little green dragon fly clinging to her. The little creatures limp wings fanned as it tilted it's head, large compound eyes looking into Crystal's whirling between blue and red.

“Umm what do I do...?” Crystal whispers.

“Seems he likes you.” Hammer chuckles.

“Lucky.” pouts Cloud Dust.

“Greenwich has chosen.” one of the dragonflies chimes.

“Greenwich?” Crystal asks, getting a happy sounding churr from the tiny crystal dragon fly on her nose.

===================================================

Starswirl stared at the creature before him his jaw set under his beard, blue eyes narrowed as he regards the Gold Crystal Dragon fly perched on his balcony. It wasn't the massive golden dragon fly that was bothering him. He had made friends with Dublin a long time ago, while he was not partnered with the dragon fly, the creature considered him a friend. What was bothering him was the small boxes and crates that dozens of smaller dragon flies had flown in. All filled to the brim with cold unhatched, crystal dragon fly eggs.

“Dublin what is all this?” Starswirl asks.

“You will need them.”

“What do you mean I will need them? What is going on here. Shouldn't these be at the forge or the volcanoes? Why did you bring them here?” Starswirl snaps.

“Danger come.”

“I know that Dublin and I'm pretty sure I know what the danger is now too, but what I am I supposed to do with these eggs, these are your race's children. There has to be twenty clutches here. That's twenty of your kind that will not have any off spring. The survival rate among your kind's young is not high enough for you to not hatch as many as you can. I ask again why are you bringing them to me?”

“More than that number. You will need them.” Dublin states in a sad tone like that of one addressing a stubborn child.

“For what? Why will I need them?”

“For the danger.”

“Not helpful.”

The dragonflies eyes whirl as he looks at the exasperated alicorn, turning from green to purple and then pure white. Starswirl blinks having never seen that color before in any of their eyes.

“The cold ones will have sisters soon. You will need the eggs for them, and the danger.”

“Cold ones... The Windigo.. Sisters..... What did you see Dublin!?” Starswirl demands.

“Your family must grow, even at the cost of ours. Only then will the danger be stopped The wounded Muses. There will be sorrow and pain for all before the end. We are sorry bearded one. We saw no other way. Take our young. Grow your family. Save all.”

Before Starswirl could ask again the gathered dragon flies collectively lifted into the air drowning out all other sound in his study with the chiming of their wings as they flew out the door and into the air leaving him with just Dublin hovering over the balcony railing.

“This will be our last talk bearded one, this is my last season. We trust you will do what you need too.”

“You have not given me a choice in the matter.”

“Future never fixed. Even stories in stone can be changed. We see one path that work. Others possible, but we not see.” Dublin lowers his head a little. “ What we see have great cost, but succeeds. Goodbye Bearded one.”

The great golden dragon fly lifts into the air, the down beat of it's large wings making the alicorns hair billow about. The gray alicorn flattens his ears to his head looking back at the eggs. He had a fairly good idea of what the dragonfly had seen, and he didn't like it.

===================================================================

“So what do I do with him?” Crystal asks, feeling the weight of the little crystal dragon fly on her bandage but unable to see him. The trio had spent another hour in Hammer's forge talking about the dragon flies. She found that she rather liked the large Minotaur and the small Harpy.

“For the next few day's he's probably just going to sit on you or near by basking in your body heat.” Sunray lectures. He'll go through his first molting, which will have him pretty much freeze in place and be as hard as a rock. Put him near a fireplace in your quarters or bring him back over to Hammer's forge, he's got a room for them there. Just make sure to check back in about a month for when he wakes up. He'll be bigger and might be able to talk by then.”

“I never get one to choose me.” Ginger pouts.

“Not many do. I was rather surprised. Perhaps Greenwich here sees something we don't.” Sunray comments leading the trio through the street. They planed to go back to the hospital to have Crystal checked out since she was still a little dizzy from her attempt to cast, though they had agreed to take a round about way so Crystal could see the rest of the town and possibly run into Slate.

“Maybe he was born blind?” Ginger snarks.

“Ha ha...” Crystal grumbles. “The tripod does jokes.”

“Oooh ooh, was that a hint of humor I detected? Short dark and drooly has a sense of humor! “ Ginger grins. “Tell me how you grew one, I need to figure out how to give one to Sunray here.”

Before either of them could respond the door of one of the buildings they were walking past exploded outward and a figure crashed to the dirt before them bouncing a few times. The trio looked down at the red earth pony as he picked himself up with a small wince, staggered to the side a few steps as he made it back on his hooves and then collapsed again.

The three of them froze in place for a second before Ginger started giggling. Sunray slapped her face with a hoof, though Crystal's eye was darting between the stallion and the door he had burst through still confused.

“Oh goody looks like Red Hot is at it again.” Sunray sighs. “Slate is gonna kill him.”

“Looks like he is already trying.” Ginger comments nodding to the door.

Crystal turns her gaze fully to the doorway as a dark form steps out into the light.

The stallion was a vibrant gray that seemed black until the sunlight caught the sheen of his coat. His short cut mane and tail were a color of ruby wine, a coloration that also matched the well groomed beard on his strong jaw and on the small scales patterned around his eyes and charcoal gray hooves. A long horn the same color as his fur poked out of his short cut hair. As he moved his muscles shifted under his coat making his fur seem to change color from black to blue gray with each step. He wore a simple looking brown vest with some sort of metal star on the front. A white line of a scar ran along his neck and down across his chest visible through the open front of his vest. his ears were a little long, ending in tufts of fur. The small imperfections barely marring the massive stallions impressive visage.

“She's drooling.” Ginger comments quietly.

“Slate hooks another one....” Sunray deadpans.

“You were warned Red Hot. When a mare says she's not interested that does not mean try harder or get grabby. You know the drill.” Slate state,s his deep voice almost melodic as he grabs the collapsed pony by the scruff of the neck with his teeth, tossing him up over his back like the earth pony weighed nothing. “Once you sober up you can fix the bar's door again too.”

“Red Hot causing trouble still?” Sunray asks a little loudly catching the half dragon's attention.

“Ahh, hello Sunray. Yes, though no more than he usually does when he's had to much to drink. He only seems to learn his lesson when it's coupled with pain and a day or two in a cell to dry out.”

“He didn't seem to learn anything when he slapped my flank.” Sunray said flatly.

“He did learn actually, a broken jaw and two cracked ribs later and he didn't drink for several months, even after therapy. I doubt he's bothered you since either.” Slate smiles a little. “He can learn sometimes it seems.”

“This is true. Any way, Slate Quake this is Crystal, Crystal this is Slate Quake.” Sunray introduces.

“The new mare in town. I hope the girls have explained the rules to you Miss.” Slate nods. “Also just call me Slate.”

“Uhhhhhhhh....” Crystal utters turning a bit red looking up at him.

“Is she okay?” Slate asks.

“A bit of head trauma.” Sunray mentions.

“Also she's probably stuck imagining how your vest would look on her bedroom floor.” Ginger states.

“Err alright.” Slate blinks seeming confused atGinger's comment. “ Any way I need to get Red here to his cell. I'm sure I will see you around again at some point. Ladies.”

Slate nods walking away with the earth pony over his back.

“Nice to see him, but it's even more fun to watch him go.” Ginger snarks getting a small mutter of approval from Crystal who then catches herself and tries to hide her face in her hooves as she turns bright red.

Sunray rolls her eyes as Ginger teases the unicorn.

“Don't get your hopes up Crystal. Every mare in the town that likes stallions has their eyes on him. Unfortunately for all of us, he's far to loyal to his job as sheriff to even notice any mares. Also he'd likely need a sign and guide leash to get him into any mare's bed. He's not stupid, but he does seem a little dense.”Sunray admits.

“ A leash?!.....” Crystal blinks, a rather creepy grin on her face as she giggles clearly imagining something perverted, as Greenwich fluttered madly atop her head trying to hang on.

“Crap, you broke her, great going Sunray.....” Ginger snaps.

===========================================

Starswirl looked down at the cracked egg, levitating bits of shell from it examining the yolk with glowing eyes as he muttered to himself, several scrolls filling themselves with words in the air around him. Suddenly everything was set down and his head dipped forward, eyes closed, a soft snore escaping his bearded muzzle. After about two minutes he woke again grabbing a new scroll, filling it out and tossing one of the old ones in the fireplace.

Starswirl was one of, if not the smartest unicorn of his time. A title that had kept true even after his ascension into god hood, although now it also counted across multiple times. This of course was balanced out by the fact he was not very social and only had a few creatures he could call friends. Mostly just Mobius really. He had been far worse once before only having managed to make five friends over the coarse of his entire mortal life. They had been enough however, though when he ascended things had gone bad with a few of them and he fell back to his reclusive nature. The last thousand years or so he had been slowly opening up again, but he still did not like crowds or really dealing with ponies on a personal level for long.

He was however exceptional at formulating plans and figuring out how things worked

For example upon discovering that he had inherited a power and the title of Dream Warden from his predecessor he had learned the limits and advantages of his power nearly immediately. One such thing was the dream realm had a odd flow of time he could control. He could spend weeks in a dream, only to wake up with only a few minutes passed in the real world.

This made the dream realm the perfect laboratory for his studies. In just the hour he had been in possession of the eggs he had pursued Studying the eggs and running all sorts of tests and adjustments in the dreamscape had given him a place to start with live trials.

The dreamscape tests were not perfect of course. A dream was only as real as he could make it and the results could be skewed by this. Still he knew the limitations of his own realm when he built the test area and made it's physics as close to the real worlds as possible. Still magic created variables that made little or no sense at times so he still had to do work in the real world between checking his facts and reactions.

The embrotic fluid of the eggs was capable of healing most damage done if given enough energy and time to do so. The larval body itself could be altered as well and the host would then develop sub-dermal thickening of the skin into an almost chitinous plate. There was an issue with hair loss over the afflicted areas but the host would be armored with out armor. Strength and magical power would be increased as well depending on the host type. He toyed with the idea before finally adding in his own formulas of emotional feeding as well as he had done when creating the Windigo. However he knew how to tweak it now so that they would not feed off strife soly. Oddly it was as simple as figuring out how to change the flavor of emotions. If one could call that simple. Still he only did this due to what Dublin said about the Cold ones, or Windigo, having sisters.

Unlike the Windigo he would be using a base race first and converting it. Spawning a creature from nothing was one thing, even if he had used some of his own blood and flesh to make the Windigo, they were still primarily composed of Aether that could simulate flesh and blood. As it stood now he had already developed a plan and how to implement it. He also had no idea who he would ask to be hosts. Likely some of Slate's guard, though there were not many of them that were female however.

What bothered him was that he was making warriors. The ability increase, the armor, the ability to live without real food. Everything was pointed towards making creatures who existed only to fight. Even the Windigo were not designed as combatants, they were healers, despite their diet their magical powers over cold and restoration went far beyond his initial plans for them.

“I would think of them more as protectors then warriors.”

Starswirl jumps snapping out of his daydream turning to glare as the forest green alicorn stallion strode in.

“What have I told you about checking on my daydreams Mobius?” Starswirl grumbles.

“Given the fact you are dissecting a dragonfly larva and have that look on your face I figured I might take a peek in. Glad I did, you're worried about your actions again yet at the same time excited by them.”

“ Dublin told me…. I would do this...”

“I know. I spoke with him, he had a few choice things to say to me as well that i most certainly didn't like. He's headed north with most of the squadron. The only ones remaining here are the ones who bonded and the ones who are hibernating. They all know something is coming. I fully expect we both know what it is. The pair of them were bound to find us sooner or later.”

“I don't have much time then.”

“Dublin said you would do it, so he must have thought you had time.” Mobius sighs sadly, moving over to the table looking over the remains and the pile of eggs that still remained. “Do you need so many?”

“My calculations require that a host be soaked in the fluid for nearly a day, there are enough eggs here by volume to do that to two or three at best. Hardly an army despite how strong they would become.”

“Any ideas on who?”

“Just some thoughts of using some of Slate's Guards nothing definite. The thing that bothers me is that Dublin said sisters. There are not many mares in the guards.”

“Slate doesn't have any small female guards either. You'd get one and a half with the big girls he's got working with him.”

“Damn.”

“Hmmm tell me .. what is a muse?”

“A muse? A personification of knowledge and the arts. There were nine total if I recall correctly Calliope, Clio, Euterpe, Erato, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, Thalia, and Urania. Sometimes there is a tenth one by the name of Sappho, but that was always disputed.”

“That's the griffon legend, right? Nine of them?”

“Yes the Diamond dogs and unicorns have much the same reference to them. Pegasi only consider the tenth as the true one as she was considered the muse of flight, war, and storm.”

“While I did not expect a lesson, there are races that consider three as the set number. Earth Ponies and Dragons primarily. Both races that the Dragon Flies have had the most contact with.”

“I can tell you are making a point here, but I am missing what that point is.”Starswirl snorts. “Must you be cryptic?”

“Oh you know you love it. Puzzles and crap. Anyway, this mess of yours would it regrow missing limbs if they were lost?”

“Theoretically if there is enough energy within the host. This fluid far surpasses my studies with the crystals, though that could still bear fruit. Given the power alone that would be generated in the initial transformation, any wounds the host had would likely be cured, short of , but possibly including being nothing more than a severed head, granted there would need to be a way to keep the head alive long enough for the body to grow back, perhaps something with electricity, though I should start with a dog first perhaps to b safe in that.......... wait... you don't think?”

“The three of them have been together since she got here. They have bonded faster than any other former soldiers that we have rescued. The are all 'wounded' and the idea that they are friends is quite inspiring isn't it? One has impressive medical knowledge, one has impressive knowledge of storms and weather and the third has knowledge on something none of us have ever seen before. I think that would qualify them as 'Wounded Muses' yes?”

“It would I suppose, but …..”

“They were all three already soldiers Starswirl, that's all they really know. It's one reason why they have difficulty fitting in here. Most everything here is peaceful, even with the months that Sunray and Ginger have been here they still don't fit in very well. We both can tell Crystal is uncomfortable with the way things are done here too. Of course there may be something else with her as well.” Mobius considers.

“What is that?”

“Ghost Dancer spoke with her and felt something.”

“Not following.”

“Keep in mind we both agreed she is the most likely to bear the Element of Compassion, just as we agreed Loyalty would likely be carried by Slate.”

“Yes well given their personalities....... We did consider Ginger as a possibility of bearing Laughter, very little keeps her down long... and Sunray we thought Honesty due to her rather blunt nature...... Do you think perhaps is Crystal Generosity?”

“Or magic, if one of us does not wield it, she is a unicorn. I've not talked with her much yet so I have not felt any connection. However given that my son made mention of her, she quite possibly is a Bearer.”

“Slate felt something?”

“Were it any other stallion I would think what he felt could be fixed with a cold shower. But considering he has never shown any interest like that in males, females, or even rocks before, I doubt it. He was genuinely curious about her and not from his usual safety issue standpoint.”

“The Element's are drawing them together. This is a bad thing then. They only do that when they are needed.”

“Indeed. Your experiment could give the three of them back what they lost physically, and if they do become Element Bearers then turning them from Soldiers to Guardians of the world should be foals play. They might actually decide to do that on their own, all three were war weary before they even came here.”

“Where are they now?”

“Crystal evidently tried to cast magic and hurt herself so they brought her back to the hospital before they came to meet you. That should give you plenty of time to get everything together to ask them.”

“Yes I suppose so. I am still not sure how I feel about this.”

“In the end it won't matter how you feel about it. It matters how they feel about it.”

================================================

Crystal stared up at the griffon, she had been doing a lot of this today and she felt shorter each time. The Griffon stared down at her in return. The beast had waited until she had been checked out before he started asking her questions. Most of them were the same things she had told Starswirl and a number of other ponies, it was getting old now. Still the griffon remained polite, if intimidating, so Crystal answered the questions.

“I see . That is everything then?” Storm Front sighs.

“Don't believe me?”Crystal snorts.

“No no. I do. I can tell you are being honest, I simply hoped there was something else the others might have missed. Your energy is the same as a normal ponies as well. There is no tampering with it.”

“What?” Crystal asks looking over at Sunray and Ginger who both shrug.

“Sorry. Just something I noticed earlier. At any rate thank you for your time Miss Crystal.” Storm Front rises tilting his head a little he looks into her green eye , his own bright blue orbs seeming to glow a little with an inner spark. “Such a pretty green eye too..... Such a shame that only one of such beautiful things is left in the world.”

Storm Front turns heading out the door leaving Crystal blinking in a bit of confusion.

“ Wow.. just met him and you have the ambassador to the Griffon's eye.” Ginger whistles. “Damn, we tell you Slate's a dead end and you make a play for even higher..”

“What? But it was just a compliment.....” Crystal stammers.

“No that was flirting, plain and simple. “ Sunray comments. “Still rather surprised he did that. Maybe you should see if he wants to go out for a drink at some point.”

“He's a griffon.. I'm a pony.” Crystal mutters.

“Slate's a half dragon and you were practically drooling at the sight of him. There are Hippogryphs you know.” Ginger states.

“Hippo what?” Crystal asks.

“Doesn't matter. We need to go see Starswirl.””Sunray mutters turning to the door.

“Hey what got you all grumpy all the sudden?”Ginger asks hopping up next to Sunray as Crystal moves to the other side.

“Nothing.”

“Really you seemed a bit upset he was flirting with me. Does that have something to do with it?” Crystal grins. “Have a crush of your own there?”

“Well I certainly wouldn't kick him out of my bed if he was in it...” Sunray mutters getting a shocked expression from Crystal and a pure gobsmacked one from Ginger.

“Really? I didn't think you would be into griffons....” Crystal comments as Ginger tries to pick up her jaw from the shock that Sunray actual had a sex drive of some kind.

“Pegasi tend to be attracted to larger wings. It generally shows stamina and strength in a partner that they have to put more effort into flying. Much like Unicorns and horns I expect.”

“Alright I think I can under stand that. Larger horns tend to show either fine tuning or magic power. “ Crystal considers. “ What about earth ponies?”

“ Oh I like a stallion with a big coc...” Ginger states before Sunray slaps a hoof over her mouth.

“It is best you do not ask, she is the only mare that has made Mobius blush.”Sunray mutters. “ I do NOT want her wound up before we go see Starswirl.”

“I only did that twice.” Ginger protests.

=====================================================


Starswirl looks up as the three mares enter. He had napped a few more times and furthered the progress of his research to the point he was certain he could make it work. He had given the designs of the chambers to Mobius to have Hammer begin work on them. He looked over the table at the three mares a small sigh escaping his lips.

An earth pony without a leg, a pegasus without wings and a one eyed unicorn without a horn. The two of them had managed to be productive despite their handicap, though there was a sense of loss about them that any one could sense. Crystal had that as well, he had used the time he spent with her in her dreams to guide her through her stages of grief so to the waking world she appeared calm and collected, but she had broken down a number of times even if it was only in a dream. The other two had been the same way, with Sunray being stopped from killing herself twice before she finally accepted her fate. The two of them had come to terms with their handicap and Crystal was just now getting to the point she could.

And now he had to ask this of them. He knew it would work, but there would be other things to take into consideration. A number of his tests had changed and disfigured the hosts some how, it was a low percentage, but still. He also could not fix the hair loss over the chitin issue with out rendering the dermal armor useless. They might grow back what was lost but there were other things they might lose in the process. There was also no guarantee that they would be able to use magic or fly again. The test results were positive, but magic was needed for flight and well... spell casting. And magic at it's core was unpredictable.

“You wished to see us Sir?” Sunray asks directly.

“I did yes.”Starswirl sighs, here went everything. “Initially I was going to simply see how you were all faring and perhaps see about assigning you to some project or another, but that has changed ….”

“How so?” Ginger asks.

“All three of you were soldiers, I am afraid I may need to ask you to return to those roles again.”

The trio looked to one another before Crystal spoke up.” No offense Starswirl but I don't see that happening with me. Unicorn fighting is ninety to a hundred percent magic use. I don't have that option any more.”

“I can say the same. Pegasi are not well trained on ground combat.” Sunray sighs flinching a little at the thought.

“Yeah well I'm good to go, I'm only at three fourth's effectiveness but I can put a hoof through some ones face if need be. Who we fighting?” Ginger smirks standing on her back legs and lashing out with her remaining fore hoof like a minotaur boxer.

Starswirl smiles at that a little, noting the others seemed slightly amused as well.

“I wouldn't worry about that for long. I have a proposition for you.” Starswirl commented.

“Why Swirly I never ,and three mares as well!” Mobius calls from the doorway.

“By the stars....” Starswirl smacks his face into the table as Mobius trots in.

“My little bearded wonder is growing up. And ready to get into the action. I can give you a few tips of what to do with your tongue if you like....” Mobius wipes a crocodile tear from his eye with a hoof as he dodges a book thrown by the gray alicorn.

“Why are you even back here?” Starswirl grumbles. “I'm trying to be serious.”

“Which is why I am here. Your dour demeanor might turn off such young and encourageable fillies, thus I am here to keep you on track.”

“By derailing my entire conversation like a mine cart hitting a stalagmite.” Starswirl grumbles looking over at the trio of mares. Only Sunray seemed to be holding back her laughter with any success though he could see the grin at the corner of her lips, Crystal was trying, but couldn't stop laughing. Ginger was not even trying to hide her amusement at his embarrassment.

“So then. Tell them what's going on.” Mobius states, suddenly serious.

Starswirl sighs as all attention was focused back on him.

“There is a great danger coming, and I have been led to believe you three might be the ones to help stop it.”