• Published 14th Jun 2013
  • 4,256 Views, 159 Comments

Fire Emblem: Waking in a New World - Bishibosh the Shaman



What happens when a small group of ten other worldly fighters warp in to Equestria? What happens when they are followed by an ancient evil chasing them across time? What happens when ponies get involved? One truly heroic story... that's what hap

  • ...
4
 159
 4,256

A New Threat

Fire Emblem: Waking in a New World
Chapter Nine

Dan stood in the doorway of his tent, watching the sun raise into the sky. Much to his surprise, the lavender unicorn did not seem to lie to him. The tactician spent the day before reading books from her library in hopes of learning more about this land, along with a lot of magical physics he found much on the recent history of the land called Equestria. The most intriguing bit being the sun and moon princesses. Dan was skeptical at the thought of two beings being responsible for raising the sun and moon every day, even thought that it could just be a ploy to gain affection by the people. Yet here he was, watching the sun rise into the sky at a faster speed than naturally possible. This Celestia must have been a powerful magic user to accomplish this feat. Dan's thoughts were interrupted when he saw Chrom walking through camp towards him.

"Dan, still pondering the near impossible physics of this land?" Chroms chuckled as stretched his arms.

"I can't even begin to fathom the amount of... sheer power it must take to move objects like the sun... Muriel would have a fit here" Dan chuckled a little himself as he imagined the uptight mage throwing a fit.

"Heh yeah, regardless... It is a very peaceful land, almost makes me feel bad for being here..." Chrom sighed in discomfort.

"I know... But if we hadn't come, then what would have happened to those ponies?" Dan tried to comfort his friend.

"Yeah, I know. Are you going back to that library today?" Chrom asked.

"I intend to, So much information and I have only scratched the surface... And Twilight has helped a lot in my studies."

"She is the purple one, correct?"

"Yeah, a unicorn specifically. Magic user as well, Naturally I mean. No tomes or anything! Well, besides the library full of books she reads, but still. It's pretty outstanding. All the ponies here seem to have magic of some sort."

"Really now, that could be useful... Well I won't keep you waiting."

Dan stepped out into the morning light, still baffled about how one being can raise and lower the sun. He put it in the back of his mind as he worked his way through camp. There was something he had considered speaking to Chrom about but it could wait, he was more interested in learning more ab out this land. More specifically he was eager to find a book about passed wars and conflicts, hoping to find some form of tactics manual. An anomaly caught his eye and his attention as he neared the gate. Dan let out a soft sigh.

"Morgan, you can come out now" He said as he stepped around a barely visible tripwire. He was actually impressed by the trap, had it of been fully prepared rather than tightened on his arrival he would have fallen for it.

"Drats! How did you know!?" Morgan shouted in frustration as she crawled out from behind a nearby bush.

"Well, you tightened the wire too late for one. I saw the sunlight gleam across is as it rose in my path, nice try though kiddo."

"Thanks!" Morgan smiled brightly, "So where you off to today Dad? Back to the library again?"

"Yupp, Twilight has been incredibly helpful in my research, you two would get along famously I bet."

"Well, good thing I don't have plans today then! Operation make memories with dad can commence!" Morgan cheered as she threw her arms in the air.

"Whats that? No longer chasing your old memories with wild ideas and physical harm?" Dan smiled slyly towards his daughter.

"Well, duh I'm still going for them... It's just after talking with mom and Noire, I realized that making new memories can be just as important!" Morgan beamed with happiness.

"Ha ha... remind me to thank your mother and sister when we get back, uh from a distance however. She still hasn't forgiven me for taking her hexing tools..."

Dan and his daughter shared a laugh as they traveled down the path towards Ponyville. The two of them told each other of their exploits in this world as of now, and then talked about the various strategies this land offered. Morgan surprised her father with her vast knowledge she had already obtained just by talking with the towns ponies. He in turn gave her a quiz on the history of this new land. After a couple hours of walking, they both arrived at the large tree-home that sheltered the library. Dan raised his fist to knock when...

SLAM!

The door blasted open into the strategists face as he fell back onto the ground.

"Father! Are you alright!?" Morgan yelped in concern, Dan was sitting on his rump as he held his face. Pulling his hand back to the sight of blood, he sighed.

"Ugh... nose bleed..."

"Who's there? Oh, OH! Dan! I'm so so so so so so sorry! I totally didn't mean to hit you in the face like that!" Twilight yelled in concern, her eyes drooped from lack of sleep and her mane was unkempt. The sudden shock of hitting a new friend was probably the only thing keeping her awake Dan mused.

"It's... not a problem Twilight... ouch... Just a... bloody nose is all... Why so frantic that you slam the door to get out?"

"It's uh... well, my mentor sent me an urgent letter as I was researching your world. I just sent a message back reporting about you and your friends, Celestia wants to meet you all in Canterlot as soon as possible." Twilight began to explain, ending her statement with a bashful smile. "Sorry if you did not wish to be known... She asked for any information about changes recently..."

"It's fine Twilight, I expected as much from your leaders. I supposed our study session shall have to wait then" Dan laughed, the unicorn joining slightly.

"Dan! Thank goodness I found you!" A loud clopping came from behind with a refined voice with it.

"Mirabelle? You were looking for me?" Dan looked puzzled.

"Yes! Risen have appeared in the fields south of the town! Chrom ordered us to the front lines!"

"Of course! Twilight, I beg your forgiveness but your rulers will have to wait. I will not let the risen attack while we are away, Morgan come one!" Dan ran off following Mirabelle and her steed, leaving Twilight standing with a concerned look on her face. Soon after she followed as well.


"Chrom, I count at least fifty of them. Stronger than the last lot, that's for sure," Priam stated, eagerly awaiting the battle to come.

"I see... ten of us may not be enough for a frontal assault... Take Donnel with you and bottleneck them at that valley between the hills. Have Noire and Nowi join you for support. Everyone else, prepare battle stations behind them! This will be a tough one!" Chrom shouted orders to his men and women, only lowering his tone as he watched Mirabelle, Dan, and Morgan race down from the hill side. He squinted and saw the purple unicorn running from behind. "Of all the..."

"Chrom! When did they arrive?!" Dan shouted more than he asked.

"Only an hour ago, they seem to be waiting for us to attack first. Strange behavior is you ask me..." Chrom wondered.

"Let's not charge at them, instead..." Dan began to think when...

"Why not lead them into your fortifications?" An inquisitive voice asked. Chrom looked down at the small pony standing before him.

"Twilight, right?" The unicorn nodded. "Well then, that would work if we had a way to promise their safety. I'de rather not send in a man to his death just to provoke the enemy."

"You wouldn't need to, Have a single man run in and get their attention. Once the risen turn to chase, then I will teleport them back behind the borders. At the appropriate time of course, less they just turn their backs and return" Twilight explained, leaving Chrom surprised but Dan smiling.

"You have been getting into my books havn't you Twilight..." Dan sighed in amusement.

"Well, I'm not one for fighting but tactics could be an important skill to learn down the road"

"Hmmm Dan, does this plan seem sound to you?" Chrom asked his head tactician.

"Well, there is always risks... but I think it will work. The question is, who to send?"

At this point, a petite figure joined the conversation. Her voice so soft that no one ever heard at first.

"Umm, Chrom sir... " Olivia softly mentioned, gaining the attention of the energetic Morgan.

"Hey father! Lets send Olivia!" Morgan exclaimed.

"Wai- What? Send me where?" Olivia began to blush as ideas filled her mind.

"Dan, is that wise? She can't defend herself as well as the others can" Chrom argued.

"Defend?" Olivia asked, her face sinking as the thought formed again.

"Chrom, that is precisely why she would make a great bait. The enemy would know her to be an easy kill." Dan conferred as he spoke, forgetting about Olivia's presence.

"Kill?!" Olivia sank to her knees in fear.

"Hmmm a good point... Alright then, Olivia it is."

"NO!" The dancer shouted, surprising everyone present. "THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING OUT THERE!"

"Olivia, you will be perfectly safe. All you need to do is run out, get their attention and run back in!" Chrom pleaded.

"THAT JUST MAKES IT WORSE! I'm no good with attention!" Olivia became less scared and more embarrassed.

"Chrom, may I?" The unicorn stepped forward, her horn glowing. Olivia gasped as the horn touched her. The dancer vanished in mid air, everyone present blinking at the display. Then the dancer reappeared in the middle of the battlefield. Chrom and Dan shared concern as they watched the dancer cower at the risen slowly advancing on her position. The field remained quiet until...

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!" The dancer screamed a piercing scream that stunned the nearby risen approaching. The dancer darted across the battlefield so fast that Twilight began to think that she wouldn't even need to teleport her to safety.

As Olivia burst through the fortifications, the risen followed right into Priam and Donnel. The first five were dealt with by the radiant hero, two more fell to Donnel's blade. Nowi flew to the top of the hill and bathed the oncoming group of risen in dragon flames.

The battle seemed to be going well, no recorded casualties with exception to Olivia's sprained ankle as she tackled into Dan. Chrom nodded at an easy victory, until...

"Chrom! Father! Something big is coming!" Noire screamed as she spotted two large revenants lurking from the woods. Chrom observed in concern as he noted the crystalline club like arms. His eyes grew as he finally marked their size. The behemoths towered over the battlefield, none of his ground units could compare. He looked at his tactician who eyed the beasts intently.

"Dan, tell me you have an idea..." Chrom sounded concerned.

"I... I think... But I need to get back to Anna" Dan hesitantly spoke.

"Wha, why?" Chrom asked.

"We need our fliers, hit and run tactics. Anything less would get men killed. I gotta get back to Anna and get a few reinforcements..."

At that, Dan turned to Twilight. The unicorn looked at him questionably.

"Twilight, I need to get up in the sky. Now" Dan demanded.

"Wait... you want to go up there?" The unicorn spoke, uncertain of what he was really asking.

"Yes! I need to speak to somepony up there! I'm certain she will be there!"

"Ok! Ok... Just... hold still..." Twilight began to charge her horn. Before casting the spell, she looked at the tactician. "Totally not responsible if you fall and die..."

Dan closed his eyes as he vanished before his friends...

Author's Note:

Finally got around to writing this chapter, had such a bad time figuring out what I wanted to do.