• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 1,237 Views, 14 Comments

Knights of Night - Chosen of the Moon - vadram



Many ponies played their part in creating the Equestria we know and love, one of them is Starry Night, guildmaster of the Knights of Night, and this is part of his story.

  • ...
2
 14
 1,237

Chapter 2: A history lesson


Chapter 2: A history lesson


Discord was one of the greatest evils that ever terrorised Equestria; he unleashed plagues onto the world, killed countless, exterminated entire races and generally made every creature’s life miserable until two alicorn sisters imprisoned him in living stone.

For all the evils he did, there was one good thing that he had going on.

He was terrifying.

No living creature dared to go against him, or do anything that might bring it to his attention.

But with him gone there was nothing to keep the rest of the beasts in check. Most monstrosities could describe the years following his imprisonment as nothing short of a buffet. The strong prayed on the weak, and the numbers of almost all carnivorous beasts were growing at an alarming rate.

There were those who stood against them, most powerful of whom were the very same two alicorn sisters that defeated Discord. While there were only a few beasts that had even the slightest of chance against even one of them, the world was big, and threats aplenty, and there were only two of them, so most living beings were left to fend for themselves.

They tried their best, but there was little they could do. In order to protect as many as they could the sisters parted ways. Celestia, the eldest, flew around the world helping whomever she could and only rested during the night, while Luna, the youngest, took it upon herself to protect those who slept.

One night, almost ten years after the sisters parted, while flying over the unified pony kingdom that will one day be known as Equestria, Luna spots a group of ponies running from a ravenous hydra.

Her first thought was to fire a magical bolt of lightning at the beast, killing it in an instant, but even the slight chance of her missing and accidently hitting the ponies was enough to make her follow another course of action. She flies as fast as she can towards the hydra planning to tackle the beast.

Before she reaches the beast, magical lightning bolts, numbering in the dozens hit the it and stop her dead in her tracks. Several waves of javelins and arrows came flying at it afterwards, forcing the now injured monstrosity to turn tail and run away.

A small army of, unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies came into Luna’s view. She was surprised that all of them were shouting her name, but what made it even more weirder was the addition of the word “princess” in front of her name.

“Princess Luna,” one of the pegasi bowed in front of the alicorn as she landed next to them. “I am Commander Hurricane of the Royal Guard. Your sister has asked us to escort you to the castle.”

“Why pray tell do you keep addressing me as princess?” Luna asked the pegasi. “I am neither of royal birth, or wed to royalty.”

Commander Hurricane was baffled by the alicorns question, but quickly realised that she did not know what had happened two years ago.

“Your highness, if you would follow us back to the castle, all your questions will be answered.”

“Very well,” Luna told the commander. “Lead the way.”

“You heard her majesty! Move out!” he ordered the troops.

The pegasi took to the air and flew away while the earth ponies and unicorns followed them.

During their hour long flight to the castle Commander Hurricane informed Luna what had happened while she was away. Two years ago her sister, Celestia, was asked by the nation’s ruling families to become their protector. At first Celestia did not accept, telling them that it was her duty to protect all living being, not just ponies, but after a couple of days of negotiation, she reluctantly agreed. In exchange for her services, she, and her family will become pony royalty and she will rule as Queen, until all threats to the nation were dealt with.

That very same year she hoof picked the best soldiers of all the three pony armies and created a new fighting force, the Royal Guard, whose sole purpose was to protect the countries citizens from any danger that might arise.

Commander Hurricane briefed Princess Luna during their flight to the marble castle that once was the capital of the unicorn nation, city that was forced upon Queen Celestia when she became ruler.

While Luna and Hurricane walked down the narrow stone corridors that lead to the throne room, the princess could not help but notice how much the golden armor the pony guards wore, contrasted with the grey stone background.

The massive wooden doors to the throne room were pushed open by two of the largest earth pony stallion she ever saw. The large arched windows allowed the moonlight to shine in, but most of the room was lit up by her sisters magic.

“Luna!” Celestia exclaimed as she rose from her stone throne and headed towards her sister.

“I missed you so much dear sister,” Luna told her as the two alicorns nuzzled, much to the embarrassment of Commander Hurricane and the rest of the Guards that were in the room with them.

“So... Queen Celestia?” Luna asked with a smile on her face. “Mother always said that she saw greatness in your future.”

Celestia giggled.

“I am sorry to disappoint her, but I will not be Queen for long,” her face showed sadness.

“What do you mean?!” Luna asked, surprised by her sisters statement. Her surprise was shared by the other ponies in the room.

“Well you see Luna,” Celestia said with a smile on her face, “we cannot both be queens. It would just be confusing.”

Both of them laughed, Commander Hurricane joined them shortly after, as did the rest of the guards.

“Very well sister, I shall rule besides you.”