• Published 13th Jun 2013
  • 4,009 Views, 450 Comments

Road to Twilight - ShadowBrony



A mix of Kingdom Hearts with MLP. No Sora or Riku. Just Keyblades, Heartless and Ponies. (No prior knowledge of Kingdom Hearts needed .)

  • ...
11
 450
 4,009

Unlocking the Keyblade

Twilight took a deep breath as she prepared herself for whatever was going to come next. Night grinned, “First we need you to be able to summon your weapon.” He bent down and picked up a stick with his mouth before tossing it to Twilight, who caught it with her telekinesis. Twilight examined the stick unsure of what he was thinking. Night then closed his eyes, “Alright Twilight, this stick it your starting point. Imagine this stick being your Keyblade. Feel the grip of it and its weight. Now try to imagine what your Keyblade felt like when you first summoned it. What was that feeling? Find it and you will be able to summon your Keyblade whenever you want. Just sit back and concentrate, take as much time as you need.”

Twilight closed her eyes as she felt a breeze run through her mane. Thinking back to her first battle with that Shadow, then to her second battle while she fought for her friends. Twilight thought about her Keyblade over and over, analyzing the situation at every angle. She tried her hardest to remember what her exact feelings were, remembered wanting to protect her friends. Twilight remembered getting angry a lot but sad sometimes as well, she opened an eye in hopes of seeing her Keyblade but all she saw was just the stick. Closing her eyes, minutes past and soon an hour had gone by and still nothing had happened.

Twilight was starting to get anxious but then she remembered that Night was waiting patiently as well. She opened both her eyes and glanced at him about to thank him when she noticed he was no longer standing. He was laying on the ground, sleeping soundly under his cloak. Twilight’s eye twitched feeling annoyed. Apparently this was taking too long for him.

“Hey, Wake up!” Night immediately stood up shaking the sleep from his eyes. “I was resting my eyes,” he quickly stated. Twilight huffed before she threw the stick at Night, who ducked as the stick flew over his head. Twilight glared at him, “Alright since you obviously find this boring; how about we speed this up somehow.”

Night raised an eye-brow. “Got something in mind?”

Twilight’s determined face fell, “Um, not really.”

Night rolled his eyes, “Alright there is one way. But it has a catch. Once we start this, I cannot stop until I say so. Do you understand?”

Twilight gave him a curios look before nodding, “Whatever it takes. I need to be able to summon my Keyblade.”

Night took a deep breath, “Alright but just remember you asked for this.” Night Glider rose up a hoof and untied his cloak. He then threw it off to the side along with his bags. He then unfurled his scaly bat wings and gave them a few flaps. Twilight gasped in surprise. Night grinned at her, “Pretty cool looking aren’t they?”

Twilights pointed her hoof at his wings, “You’re a Thestral?” Night’s face immediately slammed into the ground. He stayed like that for a few seconds before raising his head, “I thought that was obvious! You must not get out much do you?”

“A lot has happened.” Twilight grinned as her cheeks went a little red, “Sorry but you really don’t look like the Thestrals I have seen.”

Night got up and scratched the back of his head with his hoof. “Well to be fair, I am only half Thestral. My irises are yellow but not cat like. My wings are a bit bigger as well. I can see well in the dark though it is nothing compared to the full blooded ones.” Twilight could only stare at him in awe. Night rolled his eyes, “Eh, let’s get back to training.” Twilight shook her head before glancing back at him in a determined look. She was ready for anything. Night summoned his Keyblade. He then took off strait toward Twilight who barely had time to dodge as he swung at her.

What are you doing?!” Twilight asked not believing his behavior.

Twilight gasped as she watched him turn around for another shot at her. She jumped back as she managed to not get hit a second time, though it was closer than before. Night’s Keyblade vanished before he spoke, “You wanted the quickest way. Here it is. See if you can beat me. You are going to have to summon that Keyblade sooner or later. Because if you don't you are going to be in for a world of hurt.”

Twilight soon found herself running and dodging most of the Nights attacks, she tried over and over to get her Keyblade out but nothing would come. Twilight was desperate enough to even try to pick up her stick and swing it at him, but it was no match for his Keyblade. Twilight knew this could not last much longer, she was starting to get tired. Just then out of nowhere Night stopped. Twilight backed away a few inches.

Night closed his eyes as he rubbed his forehead. “Sorry Twilight, but it looks like I am going to have to stop holding back. If I continue to do so, we aren’t going to get anywhere.”

Twilight’s eyes grew wide in shock, “You were holding back?!” Night nodded before he charged forward and smacked Twilight hard against the side of her head with the back of his blade. Twilight gasped in surprise and flew a few feet before she skidded a bit as she hit the ground. She glanced up dazed, just in time to see a Keyblade coming down on her. Twilight yelled out in surprise and rolled out of the way. Twilight was up on her hooves again as fast as she could. Night Glider jumped and hovered with his wings. He brought his head back along with his Keyblade, and threw his blade towards Twilight. She ducked and then quickly got back up, running at Night knowing that he would be powerless to stop her.

Twilight figured if she could knock the air out of him with a good head-butt, it would stop him. But that plan soon went down the tube as she heard a strange whirling noise, coming up from behind her. She glanced back just in time to see the Keyblade impact against her skull. Twilight felt her vision go fuzzy as she fell to the ground. Twilight felt her world spin even though she was no longer moving. A tear rolled down her face. Night casually began to walk towards her as his Keyblade returned to him.

“Twilight, you want to find your friends right? Well if you can’t get past me, how do suppose you are even going to get that far? With your magic right? Well, due to being a Key Bearer, you aren’t going to be able to do anything without your Keyblade. Being unable to use magic without your Keyblade was supposed to be a safety feature set up long ago. Beings of the darkness have found ways around this. But we walk in the light and we tend to follow the rules.

Twilight, are you sure you can protect your friends?"

Twilight laid there unmoving, her eyes glazed over. Twilight thought about her friends, the good times they had together, the creatures they faced and the challenges they overcame. They had always been there for her. Now they need her most. How was she going to help them now? Twilight felt another tear rolled down her face. NO! I can’t let my friends down. Twilight Sparkle does... Not... FAIL! Twilight thought before she slowly got up. Looking up at Night as fire burned within her eyes. With a flash of light, Oathkeeper appeared in Twilight’s telekinesis.

Night grinned, “So you finally got your Keyblade out, well don-" Wham! Night felt Twilight’s blade hit him against his forehead. He flew back a few yards and hit the wall behind him. He shook his head as he dropped to the ground. He dapped at his forehead with his hoof as blood began to flow from it. He grinned at her, “Alright, let’s finish this!”

Twilight glared at him as she ran towards him, she swung to the right and Night swung to the left. Their Keyblades struck sending small sparks flying all directions. Twilight continued to glare at him while Night only grinned back. Twilight growled and jumped back, she continued to do so until she was a good few feet away from him. Twilight then began to spin her Keyblade as fast as she could. Once she had it going at the speed she wanted, she yelled “Fire.” and lit up her Keyblade. She looked back at Night and with an angry yell, threw her Keyblade at him. But Night was prepared. He yelled Blizzara, and threw his Keyblade as well. It appeared to give off an icy chill as it sped towards Twilight. Both their Keyblades met and clashed, there was an explosion of fire and Ice.

The force was enough send both ponies off their hooves and sprawling unto the ground. Night shook the stars out of his eyes before glancing back at Twilight who appeared unconscious, he then glanced around the court yard. Small fires blazed all over the place while pools of ice remained stuck to the walls and ground. Another breeze blew through quickly putting out the small fires. Due to the time of year, the ice was already starting to melt. He smiled to himself, “We’ll call it a draw.” He then passed out himself, as exhaustion finally set in.

***

Twilight awoke as she tasted something bitter run down her throat. She gagged as it went down, opening her eyes in time to see a cup of green liquid making its way to her. Twilight tried to protest but felt to week to even shake her head. The green liquid soon found its way into her mouth. This time it tasted sweet, she could feel her energy come back within a moment. As soon as she felt able, she turned her head around to see Night sitting nearby holding an empty cup.

What?” Twilight asked as she tried to get up only for her fall back onto her back. Night put the cup away into his bags sitting nearby.

“If you are wondering what you just drank, the first one was an either to regain your magic and a healing potion to get you going again.” Twilight nodded and glanced up at Night’s forehead expecting to see a gash or at least a scar. But there was nothing there. Before she could ask, Night answered for her, “If you are wondering why all my injuries are healed. I have the healing potion and my genetics to thank for that. Thestrals are fast healers and a healing potion helped it along as well.”

Twilight nodded then closed her eyes as she went over the battle they had just had in her mind. After a few moments, she carefully stood and tried to summon her Keyblade. With a flash of light, it appeared right in front of her. Night smiled, “See? Told you that was the quickest way to get your Keyblade summoned and it worked right?”

Twilight glanced back at him with an eye-brow raised and smiled back at him. She then swung the blunt end of her Keyblade into the back of Night Gliders skull. Night immediately covered the back of his head with his hooves. “Owww,” he groaned. Twilight stuck her face up against his as her eyes burned with anger.

“Scare me like that again, and I will stick your Keyblade so far up your plot…"

Night nodded his head as he got the memo. “Right, I promise I will never do that again.” He held up his hooves in defense, afraid that Twilight might smack him again. Twilight instead turned around and wandered over to the small hole in the courtyard. She glanced back at his bag and using her telekinesis, and brought the bag over to her. Twilight opened it and brought out Night’s map. Night Glider carefully wandered over.

He glanced over her shoulder as Twilight continued to stare at the map in deep thought. After a long time of just silence, Twilight nodded her head and turned to Night. “Alright, quick question, how many more of those ether’s do you have?”

Night grabbed his bag out of Twilight’s telekinesis. He then began to rummage through it. After a few seconds he stopped and glanced back up at Twilight. “Um, just two.”

Twilight nodded her head again and glanced back at the map, she folded it up and turned back to Night. “Alright, since time seems to be of the essence, I have decided that we need to get to Canterlot a lot faster than just a week’s time. Now, I have been working on a spell that will allow me to quickly teleport to the outskirts of Ponyville. That should cut off at least three days of travel. I was originally going to only use it as an escape or for a last resort. Because of the fact that I have to travel so far, it will be risky. There is a chance I could pass out due to magic exhaustion. But with your ether’s, we may have a chance. If you can quickly give them to me after we arrive, it might work.”

Night’s jaw hit the ground. “You mean you can teleport a three days journey just like that? Awesome!”

Twilight nodded, “Now this is really risky but I feel that the sooner we get to Canterlot the better." Night nodded his head as he quickly put on his bags and ran over to grab is cloak. Within seconds, he was standing next to Twilight, ready to go. He grinned at her, and Twilight nervously smiled back and summoned her Keyblade. She pointed it above her, “I hope this works…Teleport!” With a flash of light, both Twilight and Night disappeared. A gust of wind blew by as the Thestral Kingdom became silent once again.

Author's Note:

So I realize that Teleport spells are not in KH (As far as I know) but we have seen characters teleporting great distances by either dark realm or Mickey's Chrystal. Since Twilight used to be able to teleport, I figure she should be able to learn how do it again. But this comes at a cost since it uses all of her magic just like how Cure uses all of Sora's magic. Anyways, hope you all enjoyed.

Special Thanks to Ashura for proof reading this and helping me on the song choices. /)