• Published 13th Jun 2013
  • 4,017 Views, 450 Comments

Road to Twilight - ShadowBrony



A mix of Kingdom Hearts with MLP. No Sora or Riku. Just Keyblades, Heartless and Ponies. (No prior knowledge of Kingdom Hearts needed .)

  • ...
11
 450
 4,017

Unexpected Events

Twilight fell back onto her rear in shock as Nyx and Dinky stared at Celestia defiantly. Dinky glanced over at Nyx, “Do you remember the plan?”

Nyx shifted the shield on her back, “I think I got the gist of it.”

Dinky rolled her eyes, “I hope so. Otherwise we’re going to be in big trouble later.”

Nyx shifted her eyes back to Celestia, “Don’t worry; I’ve got your back, just like how we have Twilight’s.”

Twilight blinked at that remark in surprise, her mind still trying to process what was going on. With that, both fillies took off towards Celestia. Nyx quickly took out her shield with her mouth and threw it across the floor. Dinky quickly jumped up on top of it, sliding towards Celestia at high speeds. Celestia readied her scythe as Dinky quickly took a potion out of her bag. Gripping it with her magic, she swung her head forward and launched the potion at Celestia. With her forward momentum, Dinky’s potion sailed towards Celestia at near rocket speeds.

Celestia simply rolled her eyes and swung at the potion with her scythe. Dinky grinned as it made contact and closed her eyes. The potion exploded on contact with the blade with a blinding light. Celestia staggered back as Dinky slid right past her. She hit hard against the wall on the other side of the room but that did not seem to faze her. She quickly glanced up at Luna before reaching into her bag. She then removed a clear color potion. Taking off the cork, Dinky slowly levitated the potion up to Luna. She poured the contents all over her horn. She emptied the entire bottle before levitating it back down.

She reached back into her bag; after taking out a few potions, and an empty bottle, Dinky quickly got to work. She began mixing potions together and putting them into one bottle. The bottle seemed to change color as different mixes were added in.

Celestia shook her head, trying to get a focus on what was going on around her. Thanks to the potion earlier, her vision was temporally gone. Nyx took that opportunity to run across the room right past her in order to reclaim her shield. Upon reaching it, picking it up and placing it on her back, she then made her way over to Dinky. “How’s the potion coming along?”

Dinky glanced up just as she was pouring the last mix into the large bottle, “It’s almost done, I just need you to do you-know-what to the floor and we will be ready to go.”

Nyx nodded her head, “No problem.”

Nyx shifted focus back to Celestia who had now lit her horn. Her eyes were being covered in her yellow aura which could only mean she was already working on returning her vision. There was not much time left. Dinky reached into her bag and pulled out a bottle filled with a black substance. Dinky tossed it to Nyx who caught it with her telekinesis. She fumbled with it for a moment, the bottle feeling heavier then she had expected.

“Good luck,” Dinky whispered.

Nyx nodded her head and began to run like she had never run before across the room. As she ran, she uncorked the bottle and let a bit of the black stuff ooze onto the floor. Nyx ran around in a big circle, making sure to not let too much leave the bottle before she was done. Once the circle was complete, Nyx glanced back at Celestia and locked eyes with her. She was not happy.

Celestia growled and lit up her horn. Nyx turned and quickly ran across the circle, occasionally changing directions at seemingly near random, spilling more of the bottle’s contents at her hooves. Nyx felt the air change as a bolt of pure energy land just a few feet away from her. Nyx gulped and backtracked to the half-way point of the circle and spilled more of the black potion. Another bolt landed near Nyx, this time much closer. Nyx glanced up at Celestia in horror, “Dinky, I don’t think I am going to be able to finish this before she hits me.”

Dinky flinched and quickly grabbed a dark blue potion out of her bag.

“Will Boomerang Bang buy you enough time?”

Nyx quickly dodged to her left just as the bolt wizzed past her. “I think so. Better than nothing at this point!”

Dinky nodded as Nyx readied her shield again. She ran toward Celestia, her shield raised as another bolt was sent her way, hitting her shield dead on. Nyx felt herself getting thrown back and somersaulting backwards. Celestia took a step towards Nyx but stopped as she saw Dinky running towards her. Celestia turned back to her. She readied herself for whatever Dinky was going to throw at her but quickly glanced away when she heard a clang. Nyx had just slammed her shield into the ground to gain her attention. Taking up her shield with her mouth, Nyx swung her head back before launching her head forward. She let go of the shield as she did so and watched as it went sailing toward Celestia.

Celestia raised an eyebrow and ducked. Nyx smirked and watched the shield bounce of the wall and make its way back to her. Celestia caught Nyx’s look and turned around just in time to duck as the shield almost hit her again. Lighting up her horn, Celestia was ready to return fire when a sudden thought crossed her mind, what happened to the grey filly?

Too late did that thought cross her mind, her horn was already glowing, a spell ready be launched when a potion filled her vision. Celestia groaned internally as it broke across her face. The liquid shimmered as lightning soon filled Celestia’s body. Worst, the lighting trapped her magic with her horn, causing a magic feed-back.

Celestia horn crackled before a large explosion engulfed her, sending her sailing back into the wall. Celestia lay on the ground, spark sizzling across her body as she lay there in shock. She glanced up and saw the black filly was pouring the rest of the black substance on the floor. Normally, she would wonder what in the world that filly would be doing, but the voice in her head was screaming at her. It was becoming harder and harder to concentrate. Her whole body felt foreign to her. It was like something else was taking over. Some of her attacks were not even commanded by her will. They just seemed to come out of nowhere.

Celestia wanted to shudder and try to figure out what was wrong with her. But due to the constant attacks and the strong urge to get Twilight’s Keyblade, it was almost impossible to do. Celestia shook her head; she needed to end this, now. Twilight was un-guarded. She turned around, seeing that her student had her eyes closed. She was sitting down, completely open for any attack. Celestia smirked though that too felt like it did not come from her. She casually began walking towards ex-student. Her student's closed eyes would soon stay that way for good. But it needed to be done. Celestia raised her scythe as she grew closer, her eyes never leaving Twilight.

Suddenly, a wizzing sound could be heard coming from behind her. Celestia turned her head in confusion only to see a shield flying towards her. Celestia’s eyes widened as she quickly parried the shield with her weapon before it could make contact. The shield flew back a few feet before clattering onto the ground. She glanced up and saw the little black filly waving at her with her hoof. Celestia growled; Twilight can wait. Celestia raised her scythe and made her way over to the filly, who surprisingly refused to move. A bunch of black ooze lay out before her. Again, had Celestia’s mind been at 100%, she might have taken the time to really look at what she was about to walk into. Instead, her eyes narrowed as she closed in on the filly. “You have been quite a little pest haven’t you?”

Celestia eyes immediately widened, her voice almost didn’t sound like hers. She quickly shook her head, she needed to focus. Nyx cocked her head to the side and look up a Celestia innocently, “Well we can’t just let you hurt Twilight, she’s our friend after all.”

Celestia frowned, “You are meddling in something that should not concern you. But it is too late to back out now. I am going to end this!” Celestia raised her scythe higher, ready to bring it down on the defenseless filly.

Nyx smiled, “Ok Dinky, is that a good enough spot?” Celestia raised an eyebrow and turned to look behind her.

Dinky stood on the other side of the black circle of ooze. She was standing on her hind hooves, “Perfect.”

Celestia glanced down, now fully taking in what she was standing on. A circle with a pentagram inside along with some strange writing was drawn in the black ooze. And Celestia was standing dead in the center of it. Celestia cursed under her breath as Dinky brought her hooves down onto the edge of the circle. Both Nyx and Dinky watched as it began to glow a dark purple. Celestia’s eyes widened as she tried to escape. Her wings extended outwards as she prepared to take off.

But she was too late. Black chains erupted from the circle and quickly surrounded her. Celestia cried out in surprise and swung at them with her blade, but it passed right through them as if they were ghost like. The chains were far from that however as they quickly wrapped themselves around Celestia. The chains covered her wings, legs, neck and even her horn. Celestia found herself being dragged to the floor was the chains fastened her there. Celestia struggled but the chains held fast. Celestia glanced all around her, as panic began to take hold of her.

Quit struggling sister.” Celestia blinked and looked up at her sister standing over her. Luna stared back coldly. Her mane was disheveled and bruises covered her body. Her armor was gone. But she was no longer held against the wall and the ring was gone. Luna continued, “Those chains are made of pure darkness. Light cannot touch them. I hate to use this on you, but I felt I had no other options.”

Luna glanced behind her, “You have done well Dinky.” Dinky grinned then sat down, looking exhausted. Nyx walk over and sat down next to her, looking equally tired but still ready to take on anything. She gave a small grunt. Luna nodded to her, “You have done well too, Nyx.”

Nyx smiled to herself as Twilight appeared behind her. Placing of hoof on Nyx’s shoulder, Twilight gave a small smile, “Thanks, without you and Dinky, I may not still be in one piece.” Nyx’s smile grew, her brain screaming at her to pop the question again but her mouth remained shut. She wanted to enjoy this moment while it lasted.

Twilight sat down next to Nyx and glanced up at Luna, “So what now?”

Luna sighed through her nose, “I am afraid I may have to lock my sister up for the time being. She is too dangerous to simply be left alone. Until we can exorcise her, there isn’t much else I can do.” Twilight nodded and looked back down at Celestia. Twilight flinched as her eyes fell on her. It was weird but despite feeling light and dark energy coming from Celestia, the dark half seemed to be growing. Twilight face turned to worry as she locked eyes with Celestia who returned it with nothing but a cold stare.

*

Celestia closed her eyes and turned away from her ex-student. “I have failed,” she thought to herself, “These chains cannot be broken. My sister has doomed us all.” Celestia shivered as another presence drifted into her mind.

Not all is lost my princess.”

Celestia blinked, “Void?”

Were you expecting someone else?”

Celestia internally rolled her eyes, “I guess not. Care to tell me what you have in mind?”

Celestia felt another shiver run down her back. Void’s voice sounded closer for some reason. “I have been watching your battle carefully; giving you bits of my power when needed. But I am afraid it will not be enough. In order to break these chains, you must allow me to use more of my power.”

Celestia frowned, “Is that all?”

Void sighed. “Well it’s not like I can just simply hand it over. You must consent to my presence entirely. For some reason, your subconscious has kept me from giving you all that I have to offer.”

Celestia’s frown deepened, “I don’t understand why I would not allow such help. Is there any way to work around this?”

“Yes.”

Celestia’s body felt cold. Colder than it had ever been before.

“You must let me in. Let go of all restraint and let me take over.”

Celestia’s eyes grew wide, “Wait, as in you want to possess me?”

Void sighed again, “I am afraid there is no other way. If you want to escape, I must be in full control of my powers. I understand why this may be hard and I know it must be hard to trust me…”

Celestia internally shook her head, “No, I trust you more than I do my own sister. You have helped me in ways I never thought possible. But I just...”

Void seemed to pause. “I will follow whatever choice you make.”

Celestia went silent for a moment.

“I cannot fail. Whatever the cost is to protect the light, I am willing to pay it. Void, I give you my consent.”

Void let out a small laugh, “Thank you princess, I promise you, those who oppose you will never do so again. Good-bye Celestia.”

“Wait… G-“

Celestia’s mind went blank. If Void had a face, a smile could have perhaps been seen.

*
Twilight watched as Celestia’s eyes closed and her body go limp for a moment. When she opened her eyes, her irises were yellow and her sclera’s were black. Twilight was about to yell out in surprise when a shock wave was emitted from Celestia. Dinky, Nyx, Luna and Twilight were all sent flying backwards. Luna and Nyx were stopped by the wall behind them. Twilight unfortunately was in front of Dinky and managed to almost squish her into the wall. Luckily, Twilight wasn't thrown back very hard. Twilight was on her hooves in seconds, “Dinky! Are you alright?”

Twilight glanced down and was relieved to see Dinky nodded her head. A clear substance was leaking out of her bag, now covering Twilight’s hooves. Dinky noticed the substance and sighed, “Well, there goes my cloud walking potion. At least it helped to keep me from getting squished behind you.”

Twilight winced, “Sorry.”

Dinky shook her head, “Don’t worry about it. Instead, let’s worry about Celestia.” Dinky pointed with her hoof, “Because for some reason, she’s getting up.”

Twilight turned around and sure enough, Celestia was slowly rising, the chains no longer holder her down. Every one of them was slowly breaking. Celestia summoned her scythe back to her. It, along with Celestia was beginning to change. Celestia was no longer a whitish pink. Instead she was becoming a mix of black and white. Black stripes with weird symbols were appearing all over white body. Her magic was turning into a sickly green. Her mane had turned several shades of grey. Her scythe was now jet black with a dark purple blade.

Luna struggled to get back onto her hooves. She growled, “Celestia, what is going on?”

Celestia locked eyes with Luna. She smiled, “Oh Luna, I am afraid her mind is a bit consumed at the moment and her heart is not far behind.”

Luna’s eyes widened, “Spirit, so you are the one who has been driving my sister. Pray tell, what is your intent?”

Celestia raised an eyebrow and she took a step forward, the rest of the chains falling from her body.

“Spirit? Is that what you wish to call me?” Celestia shook her head, “That just won’t do. Please, call me Void.”

Luna stared angrily at Void, sparks were coming from her horn, “Fine, now explain to me what you are doing in my sister’s body?!”

Void smiled glanced down at her hoof, “I have been around for quite some time. But let me start from the beginning.”

“I was nothing but a simple Heartless at first. The realm of darkness was my home. But one day a nearly pure heart wandered in. She was like nothing I had ever seen before. Of course, me and the other Heartless were no match for her and the Keyblade. But still we attacked. She destroyed most of the Heartless attacking her with ease; except for me. Somehow I managed to get a bite it. A simple nip if you will. But it was enough. I got a taste of her heart. She soon whacked me and I went flying away from her. But she did not finish me off instead deciding to run.

But from that moment on, I was different. I could think for myself without having to completely rely on instinct. I began to vie for more pure hearts. But first I would need to escape. The path was hard but I eventually made it out. Once out, I realized right away that I had unfortunately lost my body. My spirit somehow lingered. I was now in what you call Equestria but I had no way to get what I seek.

I had heard about the Elements of Harmony. I knew that at least one of them had to have a pure heart. Now I only needed to find a way to separate them, and then find a new body so that I may take what I want. Your sister’s light was strong, but her resistance to darkness was weak. I managed to slip into her mind and from there, I planned. I slowly molded her mind from there, causing her to doubt and fill her heart with lies. At night, I began to slowly take over her body without her realizing it. I could only do it when she was no longer conscious, otherwise, her mind would have forced me out. I needed to wait in order to gain full control. But I did managed to take over completely one night, she had been particularly stressed that night. I decided it was the perfect night to get things moving.

Releasing the Heartless was the first step. I realized where your Door was from her memories. Using her memories, I figured out how to open it as well. I took her to where it was located and did the deed quickly. Once done, I returned her to her bed were she would awake to find Equestria in disarray. My Heartless brethren were free.

Once freed, it became quickly apparent to me that I somehow could command them. So I told them to bring me the six ponies whose hearts shined brighter than others. All was going according to plan, until this strange lavender pony surprised me.”

Void looked up and glanced at Twilight who stared defiantly back at her. Void’s smile disappeared, “Never would I image a Keyblade winding up the hooves a pony. No matter how talented she may be. She caused my Heartless problems and in the end, I was unable to get what I seek. Now they are even farther from my reach, having been scatted through the many chains connecting this Equestria to others. But all is not lost, the pathways between have always been open to darkness. I will find them eventually, as well as those Pieces of the Door. The only thing that may ruin my plans. Well, that and this cursed Keyblade Wielder.”

Void again locked eyes with Twilight. “But that is all about to change.”

Void glanced up at Luna; more sparks were coming from her horn. “Oh for goddess sakes Luna, I know you just wanted me to monologue so you would have a chance to get your magic back. But I am afraid your time is up. It would have taken a lot longer anyways. The only reason I even bothered to say anything at all is because I have grown weary of not being able to talk about myself. Having to serve Celestia was a rather large bore.”

Void took a swing with her scythe before letting it disappear. She then lit up her horn, “Well this certainty has been fun but I am afraid I must deal with this little annoying Keyblade Wielder now. Ignoring her at this point would only make things harder for me down the road.”

Void took a step towards Twilight but stopped when Nyx, Dinky, and Luna stepped between them. Nyx stared up at Void, “Not another step. We won’t let you hurt Twilight. Not now, not ever. She means more to us than anything and I won’t let you lay on hoof on her, you got that?”

Void smirked and let out a loud laugh, “Oh really, two fillies and a princess with hardly any magic? You may have gotten lucky earlier but unlike Celestia, I honestly couldn’t care less if I have to obliterate you. I am now in complete control and I hold nothing back.”

Twilight stood there, looking at her friends in horror. They were literally putting their lives on the line for her and she couldn’t do anything to stop Void even if she wanted to.

Twilight looked back within herself. She stared angrily at her Keyblade, “Hey, I know your listening and if there was any time I needed you, now is it! I know you don’t like me for some reason or I have yet to figure out what I need to do to use you but I need you, right here, right now!” Twilight stared at her Keyblade, waiting for something to happen but nothing did. Twilight gritted her teeth, “Ok you know what? Fine. If you aren’t going to help me, I’ll do this on my own.”

Twilight jumped back to the land of the living and saw that Void was charging up. The amount of dark energy was staggering. There was no way they would survive the blast. Twilight flinched as memories of her friends flashed in her mind. Then Night burning right in front of her. The images of him disappearing. The feeling of being unable to do nothing…

Never again,” Twilight whispered, “I won’t sacrifice anypony else for me!” Twilight let out a growl and pushed her way forward. Luna, Nyx and Dinky looked at her in shock as Twilight pushed her way past them and stood in front of them. Time seemed to slow as Void fired directly at her. Neither Luna nor any of the fillies could move fast enough. Before any of the ponies could move, Twilight was hit with a barrage of pure dark energy.

“Twilight!” Everypony yelled out at the same time.

Time itself seemed to hold its breath as it then seemed to stop all together.

Then, a bright light appeared around Twilight. Everypony in the room shielded their eyes just in time to see the dark energy burst outwards. All ponies in the room blinked in shock, including Void. Twilight stood still, only a few small scratches could be seen on her. She seemed to have hardly been effected. She appeared normal, except her horn was glowing. Everpony’s eyes scanned upwards. Just above Twilight, a Keyblade was held in her telekinetic grasp. Aigam was pointed directly at Void.

Void blinked again in shock, but soon a smile began to form, “Well, this is rather unexpected. But nothing has changed. I have more power than Celestia could possibly hope to attain. Soon, everypony in this room will-”

Void was interrupted as blue flames erupted from Twilight’s Keyblade, completely engulfing her in a blazing furry.

“You talk too much,” muttered Twilight.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long. I have a very busy schedule this semester. Not to mention I am taking a writing class that is taking my writing drive away from this just a bit. But I am still working on this whenever I can. Hope you all enjoyed.