• Published 13th Jun 2013
  • 4,481 Views, 60 Comments

The Magical Creatures - ShadowFall



Creatures of all sorts of mystical power begin to appear on Equestria, some of which have powers that rival the Princesses'. How will our characters interact with all of them? Will they make new friends, or be disintegrated? Probably the later.

  • ...
4
 60
 4,481

Daring Do and The Elemental Golems

"Ugh, these mosquitoes won't leave me alone. They're literally everywhere.", North Polaris swatted yet another bloodsucking insect from his leg. Daring Do didn't seem to really notice as she trekked through the forest. She hacked away at all the overgrowth with a nifty Machete and huffed as the heat of the jungle increased.

"Daring Do? Are you listening to me?", North Polaris turned his head at the seemingly mind-lost mare.

"Oh, did you say something? Sorry, but I'm just really anxious to get my hooves on that Tri-Stone! It's practically a national treasure that everypony has to lay their eyes on!", Daring Do smiled as she hacked away another vine.

"That's it? You want to retrieve this stone to put it in a museum? That's all?"

Daring sighed.

"Okay...I'm just here for the adventure.", she admitted, "Anyways, how much closer till' we reach the Temple?"

North Polaris unrolled his map with his magic. His eyes stared down at the markings and landmarks that dotted the navigation paper.

"Um..."

He then found their position by tracing the landmarks to the order of which the two had saw them.

"Ah! It's not far now! It's just past this-"

His foot suddenly went much farther down than he had anticipated, due to the fact that he nearly walked right off a canyon, filled with rocky spines at the bowels of it. Daring reached down and grabbed his hoof so he wouldn't become another skeleton that was impaled on the rocks down below.

"-trench!", he finished his sentence as he nearly fell to his death. Daring pulled him up and threw him down behind her so he wouldn't pull her in too, as Daring was currently flightless due to her broken wings, a very unfortunate matter for a Pegasus.

"I still don't get why you can't teleport yourself out of danger...", she huffed as she sat down in the dirt.

"I'm not really reliable with magic as strong as that. I don't know where I'll end up. And besides, I'll just knock myself out."

"Alright, I get it. Are you okay though?"

"Yes, just fine."

North Polaris climbed to his hooves and Daring did the same.

"Now, how are we to travel across this cliff? I don't see a way around, and we can't just walk on thin air."

Daring wasn't paying attention to him. She was looking around for something she could use to cross the massive gap in the surface. Then, she laid eyes on an outstretched branch, just reaching over the canyon. She drew her trusty whip from her side and uncoiled it.

"Polaris, I found a way.", she pointed to the branch with her hoof, then to her whip.

"Oh no, you can't be serious Miss Do."

She cracked the whip once and lashed it out towards the branch. The whip snaked through the air towards the tree limb and it satisfyingly wrapped around the branch. She tugged three times to positively confirm the branch's strength and started to walk backwards.

"Miss Do, that branch won't-"

"Hang on!", she shouted as she sprinted towards North Polaris.

"Daring?! What are you-AHHHHHHHGH!!!"

"WA-HOOO!"

Daring scooped up Polaris on her back and ran right for the canyon. Polaris frantically grabbed her neck and held on for dear life as the great adventurer Daring Do leaped from the cliff and the flightless Pegasus was sent airborne. North Polaris was screaming his head off as the two suddenly stopped falling and swung forward on the tree limb. Daring grasped the whip as tightly as possible and the weight and stress of Polaris really added to her discomfort.

"Almost there! Hold on Pol-"

SNAP!

The branch cracked into splinters and sent the most horrifying chill down Daring Do's spine as she realized what had just happened and what was about to happen. Instead of traveling across and upwards, they slowly began to change altitude and fell downwards towards the hundreds of skewering objects made right out of solid stone. North Polaris, out of panic, shut his eyes, forced all the magic stored up into his horn, and caused a brief flash of light around himself and Daring Do to swallow them both. The two smashed down onto the ground, except they weren't shish-kababbed. North Polaris actually managed to teleport himself and Daring Do to safety, and on the other side to add to that.

"Ah...I can't believe that happened now...", Polaris huffed from exhaustion. Daring stowed away her whip and was already up and rearing to go.

"Come on, that Tri-Stone isn't going to reveal itself! Let's get a move on!", Daring Do started trotting off.

"Miss Do! Wai-ugh. Nevermind.", he rose to his hooves and followed the brash mare, "The nerve of that Pegasus."

The two kept trekking though the forest. Daring Do kept hacking away at the vegetation and checking her surroundings and North Polaris checked off any notable landmarks and was bitten again by mosquitoes. It was a solid twenty grueling minutes of repeating the same process as before, until Daring hacked away at a wall of thick vines. Through the growth, the forest cleared to showcase an utterly massive temple, brazers still burning and a large stairwell leading underground into the deepest parts of Equestria.

"Polaris! I found it! The Temple of the Tri-Stone!"

Polaris trudged up.

"Ah, finally!"

The two walked down the hills surrounding the temple and approached the massive structure. Daring peered down the staircase and examined it.

"Seems safe enough."

She immediately hopped down the stairs.

"Be careful now, Miss Do!", Polaris took one step at a time. He levitated a torch off of its stand and lit the way with an ominous orange glow. He came to the end of the stairway and met Do, who was just standing in front of a massive chamber. Tiled wall and floors obviously meant-

"Let me guess Daring Do, booby trapped?"

"Of course. Tiled floors? this temple isn't even trying."

She sprinted out into the chamber.

"Daring?! What are you-"

Daring Do slid down on her back and avoided a volley of razor-tipped darts that ejected from the walls and flew overhead. She then came upright and squeezed her body together to dodge two pillars of fire that erupted from the floor. She leaped into the air, doing a somersault and the floor underneath exploded into a massive pit. She looked back at the smoking debris.

"Exploding floor? Nice touch.", she laughed as she touched down at the other side of the chamber. She pulled down a lever, and all the traps refused to function. North Polaris trotted out into the chamber carefully stepped over the darts that were scattered on the floor, galloped across the hot surface, and leaped over the explosive-made pit.

"Okay, now let's get that stone and get out of here.", Polaris chuckled.

The two headed deeper into the cave. They leapt over pits, avoided spike traps, and finally, they came to one last door. Daring stared at the massive wall of stone in the way. It just had dots. Dots. All over the wall.

"What the...is this some sort of language? They're just little circles."

"I don't recognize this. It isn't in my field book. Strange..."

At the bottom of the wall, there was an assortment of animals. There was a sheep, a fish, a goat, a cow, a whale, an iguana, and a bird. There was clear Equestrian language at the bottom. It read: Spot the odd ones out.

"Spot the odd ones out? Does it mean there are animals that don't belong here?"

"I suppose so Miss Do."

Polaris looked a little closer at the diagram.

"Hm..."

He picked up the fish.

"Well, the fish doesn't belong on land..."

He placed it to the side.

"And neither does the whale."

He brushed it aside. Suddenly, the door lurched and slid open very slowly, allowing little pebbles and dust to dislodge from it.

"Whale and a fish. Easiest puzzle I've had to solve in years..."

He looked at the language again.

"I don't get what it's telling me to do..."

Then, as he stared at it even closer, a tiny picture appeared in his mind. It wasn't a picture as it developed more, it was a word.

D-I-G.

Dig.

"Dig here."

"Huh? Why?"

Polaris grabbed a shovel from his pack.

"Just do so. I know what I'm doing.", he spoke as he scooped up the dirt that made the surface. Daring Do shrugged and took her own smaller shovel and copied North Polaris. They kept excavating and unearthing until the floor gave way and they fell down below. They both smashed into the solid rock ground with a rather painful "THUD".

"Agh! I knew it!", Polaris shouted in triumph as he rubbed his head. Daring on the other hand was still brushing dirt from her mouth.

"Wow...you *spit* really knew what you were doing.", Daring spat a little clump of mud from her mouth.

"Alright. Let's go find that...", Polaris's voice trailed off as he fixed his eyes on a pedestal standing on top of a flight of stairs. On the pedestal was a stone bearing a shiny coat of tempered metal, a glistening formation of ice, an inner shell of solid stone, and a single plant grew from the top. it was a marvel of nature to lay your eyes on it. Polaris gawked in amazement as he continued to-

"Polaris? What are those statues?"

North Polaris looked to the sides of the pedestal. As Daring Do had mentioned, there were statues. Three of them. They all had the similar shape of standing upright on two limbs on the bottom, but it was what they were made of that intrigued him. The one on the left was black and grey and had two long tentacle-like arms. A hexagon formation of barely visible dots was seen on the front of the body. The one in the center seemed to be some sort of rock formation, buried in the wall. But, the same dots were on the front, this time in an "H" formation. The last one on the right was certainly the most unique. It seemed to be conjured entirely of crystal-no...ice. And, it was defiantly the one that was making the room feel so chilly. Small clouds of frosty air draped around the statue, and its dots were arranged in a "plus".

"Daring...look at these statues..."

Daring Do turned her head and stared down the statues.

"Woah...cool!"

Her voice shook the caverns quite thoroughly.

"Miss Do! Not so loud-!"

Daring Do however started to slowly climb the steps towards the Legendary Tri-Stone. As she was climbing up, Polaris looked around a bit more. There were pictures etched into the walls. He trotted over to them and found an image of what appeared to be the statues, all lined up and staring down at a small pony shadow. He moved his eyes to the left and saw the statues bowing down to a much larger one. The dots of the largest statue were arranged in a very long "t" formation.

"Such interesting pictures...I must copy them!", North Polaris muttered as he began sketching the pictures down in his journal. He moved his eyes across and found the statues all holding up a stone of some sort. After closer examination, it was the Tri-Stone. But, the final image showed the empty pedestal of where the Tri-Stone lay, and rocks falling on the statues, which were holding their arms up in terror.

"Oh my...what does that last picture mean...?"

"I got it!"

North Polaris tipped his head up and found Daring Do, Tri-Stone in her hoof. She proudly stepped down and smiled.

"Well, that wasn't too hard."

North Polaris's eyes grew wide.

"Please, in the name that is all holy, PLEASE don't say that..."

"Why not?", Daring rose an eyebrow.

"Because, something is always bound too-...Daring! The statues!", Polaris pointed at the strands. The statues were...

...gone.

They just disappeared without a trace. No sound, no movement, they just disappeared when they weren't looking. Suddenly, the entire temple started to rumble. Rocks and boulders fell from the ceiling, and dust filled the room. Daring and Polaris didn't have to say anything. They just took the Tri-Stone and hightailed right out of the room. All around them, debris rained down like the cataclysm. Daring leaped over another crashing column and swung herself and Polaris over another spike filled trench.

"Yeah! Now this is an adventure!", Daring smiled joyfully as she slid under a closing door.

"Nonononono! I don't wanna die! Not like this!", Polaris barely managed to avoid getting skewered by flying spears gliding out of the walls. Daring suddenly took her whip and lashed it above Polaris's head and smashed a rock that was sailing for it to bits.

"A-Ah! Thank you Miss-..."

He didn't finish his sentence as the temple began to collapse slower and slower. Then, a familiar sight was standing in their path. It was one of the three statues, the stone one to be exact, motionless. Daring stopped galloping and halted at the sight of the statue made of solid rock. It still didn't move. Suddenly, a horrifying voice rang from the walls.

"INTRUDER! RELEASE THE TRI-STONE!"

"W-What?! Not in a million moons! This is a discovery of the century!"

"Miss Do, are you really conversing with-"

"SILENCE! IMMEDIATE DOOM IS UMONG YOU!"

Daring took a step back. Before she could make another remark at the booming voice, the stone statue ahead of them moved.

"Wha-what the...", Polaris stuttered as the statue's dots glowed to life. They lit up a faint and ominous orange and the statue rose its arms. Slowly, it walked towards them and grumbled some sort of gargled voice.

"Arg arg arg...Regirock...Regirock..."

"Regi-what?"

The statue suddenly flexed its arms outwards and several rocks formed out of thin air. They glowed a faint purple and they started to circle the statue. Then, they launched with tremendous velocity at the two explorers.

"Look out!", Daring leaped to the side and shoved Polaris out of the way as the rocks buried themselves in the ground and exploded.

"What is this thing?!", Polaris screamed as the golem rose its arms and multiple spears of rock began circling it with incredible speed. It threw its arms down and every stone spear head hurtled towards them. Daring, in response, picked up North Polaris and put him on her back as she galloped to avoid the stones impacting into the ground. Daring turned her head back and saw the disappearing attacker in the dust.

"Hah! Lost it-"

She and Polaris were instantly swatted into the air by long an slender arms, which were made from cold, hard, steel. The metal statue was looking over them, dots glowing a piercing red.

"Reeeegiiiisteeeeel..."

It rose its arms and a sphere of incredibly harsh light began to build up at its fingertips.

"Run!"

Polaris jumped up to avoid a pure silver beam blasting by. It exploded on contact with the ground and sent a large plume of smoke billowing around the two. As they coughed and gasped for clean air, a black orb crackling with yellow electricity spiraled through the smoke and headed right for Daring. She then took her whip, grabbed ahold of the sphere, amazingly, and hurled it back at the assailant. It detonated its charge on the statue, clearly causing some visible damage.

"ARRAAAGIIIISTEEL!", the statue sputtered as sparks and coilds of static sparked out of its body. Right as they turned around, the air suddenly got frigid and the scenery began to slowly frost over. The last statue made of pure ice floated down and emitted the most horrible screech ever heard by a living being.

"REEEEEGIIIICEEEEEE"

"ARGH! My ears!", Daring groaned as the statue released its terrible noise. But, the noise wasn't the very least of the troubles, as a blue and white sphere grew on its icicle fingers, and unleashed a hail of blue lightening, which turned the surface they were standing on to solid ice. Daring and Polaris squirmed to free their hooves from the icy trap. The frozen statue floated closer and it rose its arms up to "finish them off".

"No! Please don't hurt me-!"

The statue suddenly stopped. It fell down on its side and it seemingly screeched in pain. The other two statues did the same and growled with agony.

"What are they doing...?", Daring narrowed her eyes. Then, she noticed the Tri-Stone. It was starting to disappear and smoke.

"Oh no...Daring Do, these just aren't statues! Apparently, the Tri-Stone is the life force of the mythical Golems of The Elements! Regirock, Regice, and Registeel!", Polaris explained frantically.

"Wait, these are the Guardians of the Elements?! Then that means..."

The floor suddenly split open, reviling molten magma bubbling in the crevices.

"Equestria will tear itself apart!", Polaris struggled to get free of the ice. Daring did the same, and was starting to sweat from the heat.

"I can't believe I'm gonna be the one to destroy Equestria! I'm so sorry Polaris!"

"Don't say that Miss Do! We still have time left!"

Polaris yanked his hoof as hard as he could, and the ice shattered due to the force and heat. He bucked Daring Do's legs free and helped her up.

"Let's go! Now", Polaris turned and galloped, and Daring Do followed him in hot pursuit. But, a black formation of feathers and fire shot out from the magma cracks.

"It's a Black Phoenix...the bringers of our fiery doom...", Polaris gasped in awe and in terror. The Phoenix screeched and billowed forth a trail of green fire, that fore through the ground and incinerated the surrounding scenery. Daring Do gritted her teeth, Polaris ran faster, and they both galloped right through the fire. The Phoenix screeched in anger and more birds of the apocalypse sprouted out from their holes. They all flew around the two, circling, just waiting to burn them into slag.

"Daring Do...I've had the greatest honer to join your expedition. I have no regrets of this...", Polaris eyed the circling birds.

"Except for the fact everypony in Equestria will die?", Daring breathed heavily from the increasing heat.

"Daring, don't try and-"

Out of no where, a barrage of blue lightening impacted on one of the Black Phoenixes, causing it to steam and caw with torment as it plunged down below. The two looked back and found the statues, fighting their own pain to bring down the birds. Two of them broke off from the formation and sprayed the statues with a fiery breath. The rock golem, apparently named "Regirock", stood in front of the attack and took the hit. Surprisingly, it just shrugged off the battering and it stepped forward. Realizing the Phoenixes were coming too fast, Regirock glowed orange, and it hurled its bouldered fist at the two birds. The attack connected, and burst both into feathers and fire.

"Amazing...such power...", Polaris didn't have much time before Registeel stomped ahead and opened up with a duel beam attack at another two Phoenixes. They burst into bright light and their particles scattered everywhere. Regice sped head with its levitation and fired a black sphere of electricity, similar to the one Registeel used before. It struck one Phoenix and zapped it into dust. Daring and Polaris nodded to each other and galloped off towards the pedestal room. They avoided fire from the Phoenix's, which were being held off by the Regis, and dodged even more collapsing sections of the temple. Right when they got to the pedestal chamber, they rushed up the stairs, only to be knocked down by a massive Night-Black bird of fire.

"Ah-AH! No!"

"Horse Feathers!"

It screeched furiously and carpeted the area with flames. Daring and Polaris backed up from the gigantic bird and bumped into the Regis. They rolled out of the way as they all simultaneously fired a bright orange beam from their arms. The three beam met with a huge blast of fire sent from the Phoenix's mouth. Sparks, energy, and embers flew from the center of their force. The fire started to push back the three smaller beams, until the flames overtook the Regis and blasted them to the ground. Their dotted eyes slowly dimmed out as the giant Phoenix flapped its wings and glared at the two ponies. Before it could react, the same booming voice blared over their ears.

"DO NOT HARM MY SUBJECTS!"

Two giant white and black striped, and yellow ring wristed arms burst from the walls and grabbed ahold of the Phoenix. It cawed with defiance and shook its body as the arms wrestled it still.

"PONIES! RETURN THE STONE!"

Daring Do galloped up the stairs one last time and put the almost faded stone on the alter. Almost immediately, the Phoenix disintegrated, the magma trenches closed shut, and the temple began to rebuild itself. The arms slowly retracted and sunk back into the walls. The Regis walked up the steps and took their place at their stands, then deactivated. The voice boomed again.

"Thank you...Daring Do and North Polaris for realizing your wrong doing and preventing the cataclysm of Equestria..."

"Wait, me? Daring was the one who-", Polaris was about to finish when Daring Do put her hoof over his mouth.

"You're welcome! Um...who are you...?", Daring rose an eyebrow again.

"My name is Regigigas."

Suddenly, both the ponies looked at each other. They suddenly burst out laughing and pounding the floor. It was only a few seconds until Regigigas spoke again.

"Why does every living being think my name is funny?"

Author's Note:

Hey, did anyone catch the Relicanth and Wailord reference? Also, if you can, try and tell me what moves the Pokemon used from the story.

Challenge accepted?