• Published 13th Jun 2013
  • 1,470 Views, 173 Comments

Behind Closed Doors - OrphiusOlyandra



Once more, Gilda finds herself being dragged back into the thick of things as racial tensions flare up between gryphons and ponies. Toss in some changelings and it's a mess just waiting to happen. Sequel to Temple of the Stars

  • ...
8
 173
 1,470

Chapter 10

The Plot Thickens

For the past week, Princes Luna was increasingly come under fire as the public demands answers to the case of the mysterious unicorn that was rushed out of her chambers. Hospital records show no indication of an unicorn named 'Blue Moon' being admitted and all public records pertaining to her have been under lock and key. All inquires made into the matter have been met with deafening silence and more than one reporter has anonymously come forth as being threatened if they do not drop the matter including yours truly. Censorship. That is the game Princess Luna is playing at and appeals to Princess Celestia have so far gone unanswered. Ever since the return of Princess Luna, it has become increasing obvious that there are things the Crown hides from us and perhaps it is a matter of national security, but perhaps it is something more. Perhaps it is hiding the games they play, the political power struggle that underlies all things. Or perhaps, it is nothing at all. Whatever the reason, the public deserves the truth and not even the moon will keep this reporter from finding it.

“I’m boooooooooored,” I whined. “Come on, this is boring. Lemme out, damn it!”

Eclipse sighed, but didn’t even bother looking away from his book, “I’ve already told you. Until you can shapeshift again, we’re not introducing you to the other nightkin. I tried to talk to Luna about letting Octavia and Vinyl visit you, but she was busy elsewhere, and to my knowledge, she remains busy.”

“But... but... boooooooored.” I flopped over and let my head hang off the edge of the bed. “How can you read that musty book all day? I mean, seriously, get a life.”

“I have a life,” he growled and looked up at me. “But unfortunately I’ve been confined to your bedside, so I’ve got nothing better to do right now than read.”

“Suuuuuuure you do. Considering your friends’ visit, it doesn’t sound like you have one,” I said.

“My social life is no concern of yours,” he replied curtly. “But if you must know I have a reasonably sized circle of friends, family and acquaintances that I socialise with on a regular basis.”

“Just so you know, stalking and family do not count as friends.” Pausing, I thought it over before adding, “Neither do ponies who run away screaming or die from boredom.”

“There’s no such thing as death from boredom.” He looked back down to his book, and turned the page. “If there was, this assignment would be a death sentence.”

“Hey, I’m cute and you know it.”

“As cute as any giant insect I’ve ever met.” He still hadn’t looked up from reading.

“Says the batpony whose friends are betting on how soon he can get a date,” I shot back.

“They’re less friends and more annoying acquaintances I can order around.”

“So they’re not the friends you were referring to earlier? Huh. Okay, just to be sure, your friends are real, correct? They’re not imaginary? ‘cause I’m sorry to break it to you, but those don’t count.”

“I feel that I should point out you only actually have two friends, and thus you’re not in any position to judge my social circle or lack-thereof.”

“It’s not my fault I’m an extrovert,” I said with a shrug.

He burst out laughing.

“What’s so funny?” I growled.

“Tell me, have you ever had a thought that you didn’t immediately blurt to the nearest passerby? I’ll honestly be surprised if the answer is yes.”

“Well duh, of course I do. Behind this bubbly facade is a cold and calculating individual that could outwit you any day.” I sat up and folded my arms across my chest. “Now let me out.”

“You’re free to go.” He went back to the book. “Just get up and walk out the door.”

“Fine!” I stuck my tongue out and slipped out of the bed, my legs threatening to buckle under me. Muttering curses under my breath, I began shuffling them towards the door, trying my hardest to ignore the stinging sensation and just how far away the ground was. “You know what I think? I think you just want me all to yourself. You want to monopolise me.”

“You caught me.” He licked the tip of his wing and turned a page.

I paused and stared at him. “You used to be a pegasus.”

He blinked in surprise and looked up at me.

Instead of saying anything, I gave him an enigmatic smile and went back to making my slow and painful way towards the door. It was close, just a couple of alicorn lengths and then I’d be free! There’d be sunshine and laughter and joy and no boredom. I could already taste all those emotions on my lips. Was I drooling? Probably, but I didn’t care. As I took another step forward, I found myself tipping forward and the next thing I knew I was on the ground with my legs tangled together.

“Damn these long legs,” I muttered. “How do you walk with such long legs! The ground is so far away and everything’s so weird.”

“And I thought you were happy to be taller,” he replied. I just knew he wasn’t even looking at me. “Need a hoof?”

“Nope, I’m good.” Once I was untangled, I pushed myself up, but before I was even halfway off the ground, my legs gave out and I collapsed. “Stupid ritual.”

I heard the sound of a book closing, and hooves moving closer to me. Eclipse helped me stand up, and I leaned against him heavily as he wordlessly led me back to the bed. “What made you assume I used to be a pegasus?” he asked, sounding actually curious.

“You used your wing to flip the page, that’s a pegasus thing. Unicorns would use magic and earth ponies would use their hooves.” I smirked at his surprised expression. “Nightkin haven’t been around long enough for you to break ingrained habits, and I doubt you’d spend time actively trying to break one, so obviously you used to be a pegasus.”

He looked a bit smug. “You’re actually quite wrong. I was a unicorn.”

“Really? Huh, that’s... surprising.”

“Is it? I have a Canterlot accent, and my cutie mark relates to abstract ideas. Other than being a nightkin, I’m practically the stereotype of a unicorn.”

“Well unlike you, I try not to judge a book by its cover.” I slipped back onto the bed. “Then why’d you give up your magic and horn anyways? Always wanted to fly or something like that?”

“I was in love with Princess Luna,” he answered with a serious expression.

“Come on, it’s Princess fucking Luna. I think everypony wants to fuck her, but let’s admit it, everyone’s too terrified of being sent to the moon. Am I right or am I right?” I asked with a grin, completely basking in his horrified expression.

“No, you’re not right. I was being sarcastic in the extreme.” He said flatly. “You’re actually extremely wrong.”

“So you're asexual then?”

“No.” He rolled his eyes at me. “I became a nightkin after my horn was broken off in an accident.”

“O-Oh. Sorry...” I looked away and rubbed the back of my neck. Geez, I was the emotional parasite, so why was he so good at guilt tripping me? That was my job, damn it.

He snorted. “Don’t worry about it. It was years ago, and it wasn’t a deeply traumatic event that changed me as a pony. It just made me learn how to use my hooves for day to day affairs, and after I became nightkin I put effort into learning how to use my wings.”

“So losing your magic wasn’t traumatic? Geez, what are you made from? Rock? I mean, I know ponies who would totally kill themselves if they lost their wings or magic.”

“Well, I was always a particularly weak unicorn. That’s not to say it didn’t hurt like you wouldn’t believe, and I did spend several weeks in hospital hooked up to pain medications. I had a minor addiction to kick after I was released, but I never went into a spiral of self-destruction over it. Though there was the one recurring nightmare where my mother snapped my horn off and used it as a pool cue.”

“That... is kinda creepy. The fact that you’re so calm is really creepy. You’re not an alien I hope, ‘cause I’d really like to stay alive for a bit longer.”

He shrugged. “My special talent amounts to distancing myself from my emotions. It’s only natural that I use it when facing trauma and the like, it’s honestly not good for much else. Believe me, I’m not an alien.”

“I dunno, it sounds like excellent captain material if you can balance it out with, you know, actually being fun and connecting with ponies,” I said with a shrug.

“Well, my goal is to be an officer, and eventually a captain, so you saying so is appreciated in sentiment, if not in effect.”

“Heh, what can I say? I always know what to say.” I stretched out each leg and pressed down on my carapace. “Hey, do you remember how soft it was three days ago?”

“It compressed if I applied any pressure to it. Right after the ritual it actually felt somewhat squishy. Three days ago it was retaining its shape, but acted like a solid plastic.”

“Hm...” I rubbed my chin. “And two days ago?”

He thought about it for a moment. “Somewhat harder, but still easy flexed. It was only right before you woke up that it was hard enough to make a tapping sound.”

“Alright...” Once more I pushed on my belly, testing out how hard it was. “If your friends stop by again, I think I might be up for a transformation. Just a slight one, but I think I can handle it.”

“As long as you can make yourself look like a nightkin, I see no problem with letting them in.”

I cocked an eyebrow at that. “Not afraid I’ll end up embarrassing you again?”

“Oh, the fear is crippling,” he answered dryly. “But, as they say, courage only exists in the face of terror.”

“That’s what they tell the canon fodder,” I replied with a smirk.

“Yes, I imagine you were told that quite often,” he said with a polite smile.

“Hey, everyone says it.”

“I’m surprised you noticed they told that to fodder, but then again you never noticed it when they said the same to you.”

“Hey, I’m a scout, so I’m not fodder. I’m waaaaaay too important for that. And now? Now I’m free! So take that Mister Grumpy.”

“Such a clever nickname. Do they also provide their meatshields with training on appropriate levels of wit in an exchange?”

“If you think that’s clever, you’re dumber than you look and trust me, you look like an idiot.”

“Your inability to detect sarcasm aside, do you really think you can manage to make yourself look like a nightkin?”

“It’s not that hard. As long as I don’t change my actual body shape I should be fine.” Pausing, I thought it over. “Actually do you have some bandages or something? If I can get away with not shifting my wings, that’d help a lot.”

“Plenty,” he replied and walked over to a dresser. From inside it he took out several rolls of bandages, a bunch of antiseptics, and a buffing pad along with some turtle wax. There were even some decent painkillers from what I could see. “Want me to help you put them on?” He asked as he walked towards me, holding one of the rolls on his wing.

“In a bit. I’d rather not transform unless I absolutely have to. As boring and annoying as you are, I’d rather not risk becoming deformed.”

“If you wish,” he set it on the bedside table, and took his old seat again. “Believe me, I’m no less bored than you are. I eagerly await you getting back on your hooves so we can actually leave this damned room.”

“And see those imaginary friends of yours no doubt.”

“I haven’t had an imaginary friend since I was a foal.” He rolled his eyes. “I’m not as desperately lonely as you seem to think I am.”

“I’ve yet seen evidence to the contrary,” I said in my most snobbish Canterlot voice, which meant I was using Blueblood voice. Geez, even using that felt like eating raw despair.

He blinked. “And I thought it was creepy when you used my voice.”

“I can use any voice.” I grinned up at him. “Makes pranking lots of fun.”

“Which raises the question of your ‘normal voice’. It sounds like a lapsed Manehattan accent. Did you just pick a voice for yourself you liked, or is this what you sound like normally?”

“Um...” I paused and thought it over. “Pretty much whatever I liked. I know some stick to their ‘normal’ voice, but we’re pretty flexible about that.”

“Do changelings speak amongst themselves using their... ‘preferred voice’, or do they have a more natural one?”

“Isn’t that... you know, the same question?”

“I’m basically asking do you normally hiss at other changelings in place of speaking, or do you have direct telepathy, or... some other exotic method.” He shrugged. “Pheromones or some such?”

“Eh. Telepathy works. The changeling language is rather... undeveloped I suppose you could call it. Do you know how weird it is to say something and the other person to not just get it? Like, I’ll say ‘cat’, but your ‘cat’ is completely different to my ‘cat’! It’s just... weird to have these sounds between us, almost inhibiting conversation.”

“Huh,” he thought about it. “That’s... interesting... I’ve been trying to read up on changelings,” he raised the book he’d been flipping through. “But it hasn’t been all that helpful. There’s little to nothing about changeling culture and social interactions. There’s information about hive structure, but by and large your species is a mystery to us ponies.”

“Well, duh. Changeling’s generally don’t get on well with other nations you know.” Stretching, I rolled over onto my front. “You know what? Let’s go find your friends. I’m so freaking booooooooored.”

He shook his head. “I thought we’d already established you can’t walk. How are we going to find them, when you’re not even well enough to leave this room?”

“I can lean on you for support. Now stop making up stupid excuses and wrap the bandages around me,” I said.

“And when did I agree to carry your significantly-larger-than-it-formerly-was carapace all day?” He smirked. “That might sound like fun for you, but the appeal is decidedly non-existent for me. Especially given that if we stay here, you’re likely to go insane. That would be quite amusing.”

“Except you’ll be trapped in here with me.”

He smiled at me pleasantly, before opening a draw next to him, pulling out a pair of earplugs and putting them in. “I’m prepared for that outcome.”

“What.” I stared at him flat. “No. Just... no. You cannot do this to me! Hey, are you listening to me!? Take those out of your ears damn it!”

In response, he tilted his head at me, that smirk still on his face, before turning his chair to face the door and picking up his book again.

“Fine, if that’s how you want to play it!” I grabbed a pillow and threw it at his head.

He didn’t even flinch when it hit him. “Stop being childish.”

Another pillow.

With an annoyed sigh, he turned to face me, unplugging his ears. “I suspected that would be the likely outcome. Look, eventually you’re going to run out of pillows to throw, and when you do I’m in no way obligated to pick them back up for you. Just embrace-”

A third pillow to the face, quickly followed by a fourth.

“I was going to offer you something to read, but if this is how you’re going to behave I don’t see why I should.” Shaking his head, he put on an overly patient expression. “Honestly, I always thought I’d be married before I had to deal with an annoying foal on a regular basis.”

“Har, har, real funny.” And just for that he got my final pillow to his face.

“I suppose I should take away the glass of water before you decide to throw that too.” He gave me a flat look. “The truth of the matter is that there’s not a lot we can do that you would consider ‘fun’. If you like, I’ll get you a book. And to prevent any confusion that might cause you, I’ll be sure to pick one with small words and colourful pictures.”

That got him water to the face.

Smiling as he wiped his eyes he said, “You’re right, that was a bit harsh. I imagine you’d be more interested in the likes of Goosebumps and the Questria Search series.”

For that comment he got the actual glass. Too bad he dodged it though.

“I’m not sure why you’re complaining about boredom. Personally I’m finding this rather amusing.”

“Oh is that so?” I gave him my best bedroom eyes and whispered, “Why don’t you come join me on the bed so I can help both of us with this little... boredom issue.”

He didn’t even react. “Being asexual, I’m not even sure you have the correct organs for that. But I suppose, if you want to risk me cracking your already soft carapace and doing further damage to you, then If you insist.”

If he wanted to play this game then we were going to play this game and I was going to kick his flank so hard, he wouldn’t be able to sit down for a week.

“Why don’t you come and find out for yourself then?” I asked, deliberately putting on the most seductive voice I could. It was times like these that I wished I took Vinyl up on her offer.

He blinked in surprise. “For almost a split second there, I was able to forget that you’re a giant insect and about as appealing for sexual relations as sand paper. Honestly, the amount of sexual advances you’re making on me grows more and more concerning every hour.”

“You’re the one who won’t let me out of here,” I shot back.

“It’s not my fault-” Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

“Clipsey, we know you’re in there! Come out with your hooves up!” Pitch shouted through the door. “Untie the mare, and let her leave unharmed! Don’t make this any harder than it needs to be!”

Eclipse facehoofed.

“Clipsey,” I snickered.

“Like you can talk, Bluey,” he replied.

“Nah, ‘Clipsey’ is still worse.”

The banging on the door got louder. “Come on Eclipse, let us in before Pitch blows up or something.”

“One moment!” he called back, and turned to me. “Well? Need me to help put on the bandages?”

“Yep!” I turned so that my back was to him.

With my eyes closed, I began focusing on the shape I wanted to take, imagining what it’d be like to have those fangs and those cute ears. As the picture solidified in my mind, I felt the changes taking place. Just little things like growing hair, and changing my mane. I didn’t want to change too much, soft carapace was no laughing matter after all.

“I sincerely hope changeling wings don’t react similarly to pegasus wings,” he muttered as he bandaged my wings up.

I grinned at the wall and gave a playful, totally fake, lustful moan, deliberately playing it up for those right outside the door.

The knocking stopped, and I heard Eclipse groan and curse under his breath.

“Did that just... I mean... Could Eclipse actually do that to a mare?” I heard Pitch ask. “And here I thought he just didn’t swing that way... or swing at all.”

“You know what? I’m leaving. I don’t want to talk about swinging, I don’t want to even know what’s going on in there, I don’t-”

Eclipse lunged at the door and threw it open. “Come in.” He said calmly with a polite smile. “I’m sorry, she just has an...” he sighed, “Active sense of humor.”

“Only because you’re so fun to tease,” I yelled from the bed as I waved my hooves above my head. “Heeeeellooooooooo.”

Eclipse stepped aside, and walked into the apartment followed by two nightkin. “Private Pitch Black, Private Shiver Wind, meet... Bluey.” He waved a hoof at me, completely ignoring my glare.

The stallion stepped forward, and whistled. “Wow. She looks real from here, I can’t even see any nozzles to inflate her with.” He smiled, which looked kinda funny with the blue goatee he had. “You’re not inflatable, are you?”

“Pretty sure I’m not,” I said as I held out a hoof. “And like he said, I’m... Bluey. Short for... er... Blue Moon.”

“Lady, you’re in the nightkin now!” Pitch bumped my hoof. “That’s a lame name, pick something scarier. You know, like... Blue... Blue... Actually, forget the blue bit, and just come up with something that doesn’t suck.”

“Yeah Clipsey, why’d you give me such a bad name,” I said flatly.

“I don’t know, I think Blue Moon is a rather nice name. Got a lot of the oomph behind it you know?” The mare pressed a hoof to her chin as she tried to come up with the right words, but all I could focus on was her really purple mane. Like, it wasn’t the faded blue stuff most nightkin had, this was full on purple. “Got all those social connotations that’s rather nice in my mind.”

“Well I’m afraid the ship has sailed and the ink has been spilled.” Eclipse sat in his chair again. “You’re Bluey because you never picked a better one, and I gave you plenty of opportunities.” He waved a hoof at Shiver and Pitch. “You two, she’s been complaining about boredom. Amuse her while I read.”

“Can’t really blame her,” said Shiver.

“I was hired as a guard, not jester,” Eclipse replied as he flipped the book open and started reading again. “If she wanted a life of adventure and suspense, she shouldn’t have chosen a career path that involved standing at attention most hours of the day.”

“You make it sound like I had a choice,” I muttered under my breath.

He ignored me and turned another page.

“So, what’s a pretty mare like you doing stuck in here with Eclipse, The Murderer of Joy?” Pitch asked as walked closer towards me. “And what happened to your wings?”

Eclipse didn’t move at all, but I could see him watching me from the corner of his eye.

“You make it sound like I had a choice,” I chuckled. “And do you really think I’m pretty? ‘cause Kill-Joy over here says I’m as ugly as an insect.”

“Shame on you!” Pitch rounded on Eclipse. “I know you might not be into tall mares, or mares at all, but that’s still no way to treat a lady!”

Eclipse licked his wing and turned the page, without bothering to answer.

“Bah,” Pitch waved a hoof, and turned back to me. “Don’t mind him, we’re not all like that guy. I seriously doubt his story about getting his horn broken off. We’ve got a betting ring down in the barracks about what he actually is. Current odds are that he’s a brainwashed changeling. Runner up is he’s an android.”

I burst out laughing at that first one and had to stifle myself with a hoof.

“One guy’s betting he’s Princess Luna in disguise,” Pitch continued with a grin. “My money is he’s made from bits and pieces of dead ponies they dug up from Canterlot cemetery.” He leaned in closer. “If you like, I can get you in with great odds at the mate’s rates discount. Twice the cash for half the wager.”

“Hm... tempting, tempting.” I glanced at Eclipse out the corner of my eye.

“Personally, I don’t see why they’re so immature with all these bets of theirs,” said Shiver. “Even if prodding him is amusing.”

“Hey! I’m very mature,” Pitch put a hoof to his chest in mock offense. “And you’re not telling me you believe his story. No unicorn goes through something like that like it’s no big deal.” He turned to grin back at me. “What about you? Got any theories? You’ve heard the totally fake horn story, right?”

“Eh, I think he’s telling the truth,” I said with a shrug.

He rolled his eyes. “And where’s the fun in that? The truth is boring, like Eclipse. I mean, take me. Before I joined up with Luna I was a war hero who beat a dragon in one on one combat, saved fifty foals lives, and sexed up all the mares, or at least all the pretty ones, in my hometown. All three of those things happened at the same time too.” He smiled at me. “True story, I swear on my ancestor’s honor.”

“Riiiiiiiight.” My eyes ran over him before I snorted in amusement. “Well you ain’t touching me that’s for certain.”

“Oh, ouch,” chuckled Shiver. “Hey, I was trying to let him down gently, but you had to do it like that? Talk about painful.”

“What can I say? Plus, it’s the whole fish bowl thing. Sure, you may be considered ‘hot’ in a small village, but out here in the big bad world? Not happening I’m afraid.”

“Eh,” he shrugged and grinned, apparently unconcerned. “My dear old pa used to say be persistent. Just give it time, my charms’ll work on you eventually. I’m like that joke that only works the second time you hear it.”

“Hey Eclipse, please kill me if that happens,” I yelled at him.

“It’s against regulations to have relations with your fellow guards.” He turned another page. “If it came to that, I honestly might kill you. At the moment, there’s no process for discharging nightkin.”

“Let me put it this way then, I’d rather be fucked by Eclipse than you,” I said to Pitch, flatly.

Eclipse looked at me with a raised eyebrow. “How flattering.”

“It was a compliment, something wrong with that?”

“I just find it interesting that my name was the point of emphasis in a sentence about sexual undesirability. And yet, this only the fourth time you’ve brought up the topic of sexual relations with me in the last hour.”

“Maybe it’s a subtle hint,” said Shiver. “Though how that’d be considered subtle is beyond me.”

Pitch suddenly clapped his hooves together. “I’ve got it!” He grinned and pointed at me. “It’s no wonder you believe his story, you’re one of what he is!” Standing up, he grabbed Shiver’s face and pulled it closer to his. “Don’t you see?! This is Luna’s doing! She created Bluey to reproduce with Eclipse! If we don’t put and end to this now they’ll multiply! Where will your goddesses be then, huh?! WHERE?!”

“All I see is an insane pony.” Shiver pulled out of his reach and rubbed her temples. “You know what? I think I’m going to go to the training grounds to beat up some of those so called guards that Celestia employs. Anyone want to come watch?”

“Still under orders to stay in this room,” Eclipse replied without looking up from his book.

“Yeah, I’ll be with you in a bit.” Pitch waved a hoof. “I’m having fun here.”

“Oh! Take me along with you!” I waved a hoof in the air. “I need to get away from Clipsey here before I die.”

“You’re not allowed to leave the room until you can walk on your own.” Eclipse sighed. “Just accept it already.”

“Hey Pitch, want to help me get away from him? Who knows, maybe it’ll be the only chance you’ve got to actually touch a mare who wasn’t paid for, drunk or unconscious,” I said.

He gasped in mock horror. “I’ve never payed for a mare, I resent that.”

“Should I report you to Luna for the other two then?” asked Shiver with a cocked eyebrow.

“Hey, it doesn’t count if the balls don’t touch.” He grinned at her.

“What.” Shiver’s eyes twitched. “Hey sergeant, I’d like permission to use Pitch as my punching bag, I mean, as my sparring partner. For the next, oh I dunno, how does a week sound?”

“Private Pitch Black, consider this a standing order: Every time Shiver wants to hit something, you are to make yourself immediately available.”

“You’re all teaming up on me!” he whined. “Come on, that was funny!” He turned to me. “That was funny, wasn’t it?”

“As amusing as the thought of you getting a date,” I replied sweetly.

“Ouch,” he answered, “That’s kinda mean. And there I was trying to be friendly.”

“Yeeeeeaaaaah, as much as I enjoy being complimented, you do it wrong. Like, seriously, bragging about doing every mare in your home town? Seriously a no go,” I said.

“But I was lyyyiiing.” He made his voice go all pitched. “I thought the ‘all at once’ part was the give away.”

“And lying makes it better?” I cocked an eyebrow at that. “Have you been watching Clipsey’s porn stash again?”

“You know, I’m starting to suspect the only reason you’re turning me down is you got your eyes set on dear old NK 002.” He suddenly clapped his hooves to his face. “Ooh! New theory, are you NK 001?!” He pointed a hoof at me.

“I simply cannot take this anymore.” Shiver grabbed his ear with her teeth and dragged him towards the door.

“I regret nothing! Remember me for how I was!” Pitch wailed as he was pulled out the door. “Remember what I’ve shown to you in the short time we had together!”

“Are... are they dating?” I asked Eclipse. “If so, that doesn’t look like a healthy relationship at all.”

“I couldn’t care less if they are.” He turned a page. “But at least she’s a moderating influence on him.”

“You call that moderating? What is wrong with you?”

He shrugged without looking up. “He’s worse when he’s alone.”

“He doesn’t drink I hope.”

“Hope isn’t a plan,” he replied.

“So... we should tie him up every night to make sure he doesn’t drink?” I asked helpfully.

“It’s an option.” He looked up at me and smiled.

“That... is kinda creepy, but so awesome. Like seriously. Awesome.”

He opened his mouth to speak again when a blaring alarm sounded. Instantly, he snapped his mouth shut and slammed the door closed. He moved to all the windows, closing them one by one before turning to me.

He moved around the apartment, slamming all the entrances shut, checking every room, and the entire time that long warbling droning alarm was going off. He disappeared into a room, and came out a moment later with armor on and a bladed gauntlet strapped to each front hoof.

Then he stood in the centre of the room, listening closely and looking ready to attack the paintings.

“Um... hello? What’s going on?” I asked.

“Someone’s teleported into the palace,” he replied. “In your current state I’m to defend you in the event that you’re the target.”

“Oh. Wouldn’t it make more sense for me to not be here then? I mean, if they teleported in to get me, they probably know where I am. With this disguise I could probably leave safely and not, you know, have the entire roof collapsed in on our heads without any warning.”

He considered it for a moment. “You’re right.” He stepped closer to me, and helped me stand. “Lean against me, we should get out of here.”

“Sweet.” I draped a leg over his shoulders and leaned into him. “Where to?”

“The barracks. The nightkin are the best line of defense in the palace.”

“Gotcha.” We began making our way of that all too small room and into one massively long hall. Seriously, it was long and straight and all hall-ish. Like it was out of one of those high brow fantasy novels or something. “And the barracks are?”

“Just inside the castle grounds,” he answered. “We can fly there from one of the south facing balconies. I’ll carry you so you don’t have to use your wings.”

“Then lead the freaking way,” I said.

He paused and stared at me, before shaking his head and continuing forward.

“What?” A frown creased my brow as we limped along. “What was with that look?”

“Nothing.” He kept us moving. “You just seemed a little excited about the fact that I was going to fly you.”

“Did I?” I frowned then shrugged. “Sure you’re not needed defending whatever’s going on?”

“I doubt they’ll need me. Luna and Celestia can manage the defense of the palace more effectively than all the guard combined. If you’re the target, than I have to move you to somewhere safe.”

“So I get you all to myself? Wonderful.” I shook my head and sighed. “I’m being all mood flipping and stuff aren’t I? Fuck.”

He shrugged. “I’ve found most mares to be that way.”

“Sexist.”

“You’re not proving me wrong.”

I opened my mouth to answer, when one of the doors crashed open and Princess Luna herself trotted out followed by that mare I met the other night, Trixie. Eclipse stopped to bow, but they just shoved past, rushing towards the room we had just left with a gryphon between them. Or rather, Luna shoved past while Trixie half stumbled along as if she was drunk or dazed or drugged or something.

“You two, secure the hall, ensure nothing come in or out. Fail and We shall personally skin thou alive,” ordered Luna as the door slammed shut.

Eclipse blinked in surprise. “Yes Princess...” he muttered, before walking me back to the door, and pulling up a chair. “Sit here, you should be fine while I secure the hall. I suspect we just witnessed the cause of the alarm.”

I plopped down and sighed. “Great. And here I was hoping to actually see the outside world for once.”

“See if you can eavesdrop.” He tilted his head at the door behind me. “I’ll be back shortly.” Trotting away, he began checking every door and window along the hall. It was a big hall, and it was going to be a while before he was done.

“What.” I rolled my eyes before focusing on the emotions coming out of the room. There was sadness and anger and annoyance and love and bleah. I wanted to dive straight in, to consume all that for myself and just bathe in it for a little while. Even now I could feel all those tastes and feelings swimming around in my mind, calling out to me, but I resisted. I pulled back, I hid, I did every trick I knew of to keep them at bay. I didn’t want to give in again, not after what happened last time. In the end, I just pressed my ear against the door and listened in. Nothing.Totally silent.

A couple of minutes later, Eclipse returned. “Learn anything?” he asked.

“Luna is apparently paranoid. She used some magic thingie to stop listening in,” I said.

“I expected as much,” he sighed and knocked on the door.

No reply.

“I don’t think she wants to be disturbed,” I said.

“I had my suspicions about that gryphon,” he muttered and pulled up a chair of his own.

“Suspicions?”

“I’m NK-002, but I was the first nightkin recruited into the guard. I believe NK-001 is behind that door.”

“Oh that? Yeah, that’s totally her. Didn’t you know that?”

“No,” he looked across at me. “She has the eyes, but she hasn’t publicly displayed any shadow powers, and there’s no official records on her at all. Why? Do you know something about her?”

“I’m a changeling. We deal in information no one else knows,” I said flatly. “That, and you know, she slaughtered a bunch of insane changelings for us.”

He blinked in surprise and looked at me. “What?”

“Oh, right, secret and all that. Ask Luna about it sometime.” I leaned back in my chair. “It’s actually really amusing.”

“Would it have something to do with why she offered a position as Captain of the Royal Guard to a gryphon that has no record of military service to Equestria?”

“Probably. I mean, I’m not high enough up in the rankings to know all the juicy details, but let me put it this way, she could kick your flank ten different ways while blindfolded and grounded.”

He snorted and looked ahead. “Combat skills don’t reflect leadership potential. A prize boxer is just as likely to fail at being a manager or promoter as anyone else. A Captain isn’t supposed to be a great warrior, a captain is supposed to be a strategist and a leader, not a mindless thug.”

“Awwwww, is Clipsey jealous? Don’t worry, I still think you’d make the better Captain even if you’d get whipped.”

“I’ll have you know I’m a perfectly capable combatant,” he gave me a flat look. “Besides which I was just making a point, jealousy has nothing to do with it. Luna would be gravely mistaken if she gave that gryphon, of all possible sentients, rank and command.”

“Hey, it was a compliment!”

“It was condescension and you know it,” he looked ahead.

“Come on, you’d be a great captain,” I said as I scooted closer to him. “I’m being honest here!”

He turned to me again. “Thank you for your concern, but I promise you I’m not emotionally vulnerable and in need of consolation.”

“I’m just saying you’ve got one thing that the gryphon will never have. I’m sorry for trying to be nice.”

“I’m just saying I appreciate the thought and effort, but I’m a grown stallion and if this honestly upset me that much I would be more concerned with the fact that I was affected by it at all. In any case, my special talent amounts to emotional distance, so the need for emotional support becomes moot.”

“So... you don’t want to know what that one thing is?”

“...I’ll admit I’m curious, but I figured asking directly would give you the idea I needed hoof holding over this matter.”

“So... that a yes or no?”

He rolled his eyes. “What is the one thing that I have that she doesn’t?”

“The most important thing.” I grinned at him mischievously. “You’re free eye candy!”

He smirked at that. “Oh? So I am handsome? And I thought I was some standard to measure against for ‘would not touch’.”

“No, that’s your friend. I only said I’d rather take you over him, that’s all,” I chuckled. “We changelings are slippery things.”

“Well, I’m glad to learn I’m at least more attractive than a stallion with a goatee and all the maturity of a hormonal adolescent.”

“I’d be a better judge if you took off your armor for once.” I looked at him innocently.

He smiled in amusement and looked ahead. “I never thought my career would put me in a situation where I had to resist seduction from a changeling on a day to day basis.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. “Come on, it makes your day all the brighter. Just admit it.”

“I’m a nightkin. All that brightness just hurts my eyes.”

“You know what I meant.”

“Did I?” he asked. “I’m afraid I was under the impression we were discussing lighting preferences.”

“Yes. Yes you did,” I said flatly.

“In all honesty, I find you amusingly off-kilter. I can’t help but wonder if you really ran away from the changelings or were thrown out due to your raging insanity.”

“Probably thrown out.”

“I’m leaning in that direction, yes,” he admitted.

“Good thing you won’t throw me out. Right?”

He looked across at me, before looking ahead and replying. “I wouldn’t throw you out, no.”

“So there’s no need to worry!” I glanced over my shoulder at the closed door before back to Eclipse. “So do we just sit here?”

“As I said, most of the job is sitting around waiting for one thing or another, be it trouble or more orders. The phrase the city guard tosses about is, ‘Hurry up and wait.’”

“And we’ll be assigned to each other?”

“Most likely,” he sighed. “I suspect Luna wants to limit the amount of interaction you have with ponies who don’t know your secret.”

Was I grinning? I think I was grinning. Yep, definitely grinning. Oh this is going to be fun.

I heard him facehoofing. “Fun? Perhaps for you, but for some reason I suspect I’ll soon regret the day I decided to be a friendly stranger to a mare standing in the rain.”

A flush appeared as I realised I had said that last bit out loud. “It was a very gentlecoltly thing to do.”

He tilted his head. “Perhaps, but the fact still stands the next time I see a mare crying in the rain I’ll have to resist the temptation to keep walking and pretend I hadn’t noticed.”

“You evil, evil-” Intense bright light came from the other side of the door we were guarding. “Um... do we go in or something?”

“Not if we value our ability to possess skin.” He stood up and approached the door, “However we can knock.” Cautiously he thumped a hoof against the wood.

Instead of using the door, Luna stepped out of his shadow, making him jump before giving a hasty salute.“We art fine. Please continue guarding the door and if We hear anything about what transpired today being spoken of, a skinning shall the least of thy worries. We hath already contacted Private Black and Private Wind to help secure the compound and to bring some food up. If the gryphon decides to leave, try to reason with her, but do not physically restrain her. Changeling, thou art to exert a calming influence as much as possible without being detected.” And just like that she stepped back and vanished again.

“Um... what?” I glanced over at Eclipse. “And seriously, she needs to stop doing that.”

He shook his head and sat down again. “I honestly have no idea what or why, so don’t ask. Just do as she says, and prepare to calm the gryphon.” He paused and glanced across at me. “You can do that, right?”

“I can try feeding on the other emotions? That kinda draws it out of them and into us and helps calm them down I suppose, but I’ve got no idea,” I said with a shrug. “And even then, there’s no real subtle way of doing it and I’d have to feed a lot to have any real impact.”

“Perhaps she was making reference to your magical enhancements?” He suggested. “The ritual wasn’t just to make you taller and disconnect you from the hive mind, it brings with it a range of new abilities.”

“And we have no idea what they are,” I sighed. “Whatever.”

“Luna seems to think you can affect other’s emotions. Perhaps it would be best to attempt it now, see if it’s possible, before things potentially turn violent.”

“Um...” I stared at him, focusing on being sad. That bitter taste, that shudder and sense of dread, everything I associated with sadness I bought it up and shoved it him. Trying to make him feel sad or something. I dunno, it felt stupid, as though I was staring at a wall and trying to make it move with my mind or something. Eventually, I just slumped back into my chair and sighed, “This is stupid.”

“Well, it’s just the two of us here, so feel free to embarrass yourself.” He shrugged. “If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work, but if it does then that could be an invaluable ability for you.”

“Maybe it’s because you know what I’m trying to do?” I asked before frowning. “And there’s your cutie mark as well.”

“True.” He frowned in thought. “What emotion were you trying to make me feel?” he asked.

“Sadness. I was thinking about... well... it doesn’t really matter what I was thinking about, but sadness. I was trying to make you sad.”

“Were you actually sad at the time?” He prodded.

That got him a flat look.

“Why don’t we wait until your friends show up?” I asked. “I can try to make them kiss or something silly like that.”

“What I was suggesting was perhaps you need to be experiencing an emotion before you can share it.” He replied. “If emotion is a form of energy to changelings, than perhaps that energy has to be there before you can do anything with it.”

“Am I the changeling or am I the changeling?” I snapped. “Look, I know what I’m doing alright?”

“If we’re about to be attacked by a homicidal and particularly dangerous gryphon, and your ability to exert a calming influence is a way we can subdue her, I’d like to have a measure of confidence in your abilities before it comes to that. I’m just trying to be helpful. I do have a working understanding of magic, so I can come up with hypothetical solutions.”

“If there is an angry, homicidal gryphon coming at us, I suggest we do what Luna suggested and not stop her,” I said.

“We won’t stop her, just try to reason with her.” He replied. “And reasoning will be easier when she’s calm.”

“Or we could just get the fuck out of there,” I said.

He shook his head. “We have our orders.”

“Which were to try to reason with her and if she didn’t want to listen, then we let her go,” I said slowly so he could keep up. “Seems running is a legit option.”

Annoyance flickered over his face and he looked at me. “As a deserter it seems like you’re a fan of that option.”

“Hey, I like living and that crazy gryphon? She can and will kill changelings without a second thought. I’m staying as far away from that as possible. Look, I’ve seen what she’s capable of and she’s good. Not the best, but the way she fights? Stab her through the shoulder and she’ll keep going without slowing down at all. It’s like... fighting a monster or something.”

“You’ve fought her before?” He asked, curious. “Or know someone that has?”

“I know lots of people who have. Trust me. The only thing that’ll slow her down is death.” A shudder passed through my body as I remembered that insane look in her eyes. “I’ve only seen bits and pieces, but...”

He frowned and looked ahead. “She sounds like a mindless berserker. And Luna is wanting to make her an officer?” Shaking his head, he sighed. “Sounds to me like the most logical thing to do would be to just put her down.”

“Put who down?” asked Shiver as came down the hall, Pitch right beside her. “Also, that’s really cold.”

“I was talking about Bluey’s mother’s pet dog. It’s old, sick, and can’t walk any more,” he lied smoothly. Like seriously, I was great at reading ponies and I could have sworn he was telling the truth.

“Sure you were,” said Shiver flatly.

“Do you think I was talking about a pony?” Eclipse raised an eyebrow at her. “That would be borderline criminal if I was.”

“Knowing you? Probably was a pony.”

“Yikes, Shiver.” Pitch glanced across at her and grinned. “I know Eclipse is pretty cold, but that’s practically psychopathic. I mean, come on, there’s no way he could ever be that interesting.”

As much as I wanted to disagree, the mere fact that he lied so smoothly and even said that about Gilda sent a shiver down my spine. It was one thing to be logical, but that was just beyond cold. That was downright insane and crazy and psychopathic and... and... Surely he didn’t mean that. Right?

“Maybe, maybe not, but knowing Eclipse, yeah, it sounds like something he’d say,” said Shiver. “So what’s going on? Luna dragged me away from beating one of the guards around.”

“I’m surprised you like doing that so much,” Pitch grinned. “Why not just pick a fight with some foals while you’re at it?”

“Luna’s orders are to secure this hall.” Eclipse interrupted Shiver before she could respond. “If anyone leaves that room, other than Luna, our orders are to try and reason with them but under no circumstances are we to attempt to subdue them. Luna hasn’t explicitly said so, but I suspect anything we may or may not witness is to be considered confidential.”

“Also, if it’s a gryphon, run like Tartarus is on your heels and do not look back,” I added.

“Ignore her,” he glared at me. “Those are not official orders. That said, the gryphon in there should be considered extremely dangerous.”

“No, but it’s a very, very, very good suggestion that you should all think of as orders. Trust me,” I muttered under my breath.

Pitch looked between us confused. “You two know something that we don’t?”

“Yes, and it’s to stay that way until Luna orders otherwise.” Eclipse replied flatly.

Licking my lips, I began focusing on lust. It was easy enough, all I had to do was channel my inner Vinyl and considering how much I had fed off her, that was far easier than I would have liked. First I got the tingly hooves then the warmth and a small blush might have stained my cheeks from the thoughts I had going on in my head about all the various things I’d just love to do t-

Focus. Don’t get lost now.

Out the corner of my eye I could see Eclipse watching me curiously, but I ignored him and his stupi- No! I kept that bundle of molten fire tightly under wraps before I began pushing it out. It was weird, like someone had pushed a straw into me and was sucking the emotion out of me.

Shiver Wind suddenly cleared her throat. “I-I’m just going to open a window if that’s alright.”

“It isn’t,” Eclipse kept a straight face. “Our orders are to secure the room, and an open window is a potential silent entry point for infiltration.” He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, giving me a questioning look.

Pitch didn’t say anything, he just stared at Shiver and swallowed visibly. Their eyes met and Shiver ruffled her wings, looked away with a blush and quickly ran away towards the nearest window.

“Are you doing that?” Eclipse asked me quietly.

I smirked and nodded. “Should I stop?”

“Definitely, before someone suggests that it’s too hot for this sweaty armor.”

“Oh I dunno, I wonder how you look like without all that armor on,” I chuckled before a stab of pain laced through my temples causing me to wince.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“I’d be better if you took that armor off.” A second later I realised what I had said and I bit down on my tongue just as another bolt of pain found my head. Alright, that was enough of that for one day. I quickly shut off my magic and those emotions before I started imagining Eclipse without his armor on, standing above me with tho-

“Gah!” I threw myself off my chair and groaning in pain when I hit the ground before curling into a ball and cradling my poor abused brain. It felt as though it was on fire, burning from the inside out. That constant thump, thump, thump of a real mind numbing hangover made itself known to me as I whimpered.

“Bluey?” I heard Eclipse say as he crouched next to me. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

I cracked open a bloodshot eye. “You know that feeling you get when you drank about ten times as much as you need to?” I managed to croak out in a whisper. “That’s me right now.”

“I take it we can’t rely on you for emotional suppression for Gilda?” He asked as he reached under my chest with his hoof, and helped me stand. Carefully he settled me back into the chair, and stood there looking concerned.

“That and whatever I’m trying to get across I have to feel so...” I smiled sheepishly at him.

“So, to calm Gilda you’ll need to be calm, which will be difficult if she’s trying to murder you.” He sighed, and sat in his chair. “Wonderful.”

“Well that’s me forcing an emotion on someone.” I glanced over at Pitch and Shiver who were busy avoiding each other’s eyes. “Maybe amplifying an emotion would be easier? Though how I’d do that I have no clue.”

Eclipse frowned. “Could... you feed on someone’s emotions and then send them to someone else? For example, feed on my calm and direct that at her?”

“Maybe?” I groaned and tried not to move my head too much. “Though if it gives this much of a headache, I won’t be able to do it for long.”

“I suppose it’s a good thing Luna probably isn’t relying on us succeeding then.”

“Yep.” I watched as the other two nightkin proceeded to bubble about as though they were highschool students with crushes. “And I hope there isn’t any permanent damage. I knew drawing on Vinyl’s libido was a bad idea.”

Eclipse snorted out a laugh. “It is rather amusing. And I thought matchmaking was Princess Cadence’s job.”

“I am not competing with a princess. I’m not that stupid.” I jerked my head in their direction and immediately regretted it as bile rose in the back of my throat. “Aren’t you concerned at all?”

“If they’re still acting like this in an hour, then I’ll be concerned. For now I think it’s safe to just enjoy the spectacle of seeing Shiver behave like a filly with a crush, and Pitch speechless for the first time in his life.”

An evil grin suddenly found its way onto my face. “I wonder who’d you go for if I had done it to you. Shiver, Pitch or me.”

“Most likely none of you,” he replied. “But in the immediate vicinity...” Shrugging, he said, “At least Shiver is a mare.”

That earned him a punch on the shoulder. A very hard punch as well as a glare

“What?” He frowned at me. “It’s true isn’t it?”

“I’m a mare as well.”

He sighed and looked ahead. “This has the makings of a very complicated and tricky emotional discussion. I suggest we drop this now before it comes to that..”

“What? I’m female and therefore I am a mare. Simple.”

“I’m not going to dispute either point.”

“O...kay...? I looked at him curiously, but didn’t say anything.

“Gender identity is a complicated issue. We’ve still only known each other for a few days at most, I’m not convinced we’re quite ready to bring the headier issues of life into the discussion without things becoming complicated. What’s that saying? Friends who wish to remain friends shouldn’t talk about religion or politics.” He shrugged. “My thinking is along those lines.”

“Think of me as being female and you’ll be fine,” I chuckled.

He didn’t respond to that.

“Do that and I’ll stop calling you Clipsey. Deal?”

Snorting, he turned to me and held out a hoof. “Very well then.”

I immediately spat on mine and before he could pull out, I pressed it against his with a smirk. “See? That wasn’t hard, now was it?”

“Certainly wasn’t pleasant,” he muttered as he cleaned his hoof with a handkerchief before tossing it away. “But if it makes things simpler, I’m willing.”

“So...” My eyes flickered over to the other two. “How long do you think they’ll be like this?”

Eclipse shrugged. “How should I know? You’re the one that did this to them. Just how... developed was Vinyl’s... enthusiasm anyway?”

“I’m surprised she doesn’t jump everything that moves.”

“From the rumors I’ve heard, she’ll chase anything that lacks male anatomy.”

“I’m surprised she manages to stay faithful to Octy truth be told. The first time I fed off her, I jumped her right there and then before I managed to get my senses knocked back into me by a bookshelf.”

He chuckled at the story. “Well, at least all that energy wasn’t directed at me. If I ever behaved like...” he waved a hoof at Pitch and Shiver, “That, I’d be ashamed of myself.”

“Yeah...” I smiled at him though my heart wasn’t in it.

He leaned back in his chair, making it creak, and sighed. “At least conversation with you is engaging. Hopefully the tedium of being a guard will be reduced with you here.”

“So you actually enjoy having me around?” I nudged him playfully before the sound of hoofsteps made all four of us snap to attention.

“Shiver, Pitch, take up position on either side of the hall, in those doorways. Cover the main approach,” Eclipse ordered then turned to me. “Stay out of sight.” Then he walked and stood directly in the centre of the hall, staring intently up the corridor.

“Because that’s smart,” I muttered under my breath as I stumbled out of my chair. Though one knee hit the ground, I forced myself back up and began moving forward until I could slip into one of the side rooms with my back to the wall and my magic primed. I wouldn’t be able to do much, but hopefully this transformation would be good for something. And so, I did the only thing I could think of, I fed off my fear. I let it flow through me, and phantasms danced along the edges of my vision. I could hear screams, sadness, despair and the hellish green light. I took my fear, amplified it then held onto it as though it was a weapon. Whoever walked through that door was going to get the stuff of nightmares.

After an eternity, a head appeared and I could feel Eclipse relaxing slightly at the sight of the servant carrying two food trays and gulping at the sight of the armed guard.

“I have some... food for this room,” he said hesitantly.

Eclipse nodded, “Pitch, check him for concealed weapons, Shiver check the food trays.”

Without a word, both nightkin followed his orders, and Shiver blinked in surprise when she noticed one tray loaded up with a steaming pile of meat. “Uh...”

“That’s not an issue,” Eclipse dismissed, before turning to the door and raising his hoof to knock.

“Wait,” I said as I stumbled out. “Check if it’s a changeling.”

Eclipse shrugged, and turned back to the servant, his shadow flickering against the light and his eyes completely shading over. “Seems clear to me.” He said as his eyes turned back to normal. “But that hasn’t proven an accurate test in the past.”

“I-I’m not a changeling...” the servant stammered.

“Allow me.” I took a step forward only for my trembling legs to give out from under me. “F-Fuck. Be ready for anything I’m gonna ha-ha-have to drop my f-fear.”

Eclipse didn’t really seem to understand, but he nodded anyway, and ordered Pitch and Shiver to watch for anything.

As soon as I let go, the pain came back double fold and almost brought me down yet again. Each hoofstep was like another lance through my mind, but I managed my slow stumbling way along. Before I had even gotten halfway, Eclipse was there, lending me a hoof and I happily let him take my entire body weight until I was right before the servant.

“Now don’t worry, this won’t hurt a bit,” I said as I leaned forward. All it took was a bit of magic and I touched his fear and confusion. Before it could overwhelm me, I pulled back and took a deep shuddering breath. “Unless it’s a really smart changeling, he’s clear.”

“Am I the only one slightly confused by what just happened?” Pitch said after a moment.

“Stow it,” Eclipse snapped at him, as he lead me to a seat. “Are you okay?” He asked quietly, genuine concern coming off him. “What was that about dropping your fear?”

Even his voice was grating. “If lust got them to do that, I figured a feedback loop with fear would bring anything to its knees.”

He nodded in understanding, before stepping away and turning to the servant. “You’re in the clear. Stay right there.” Then he knocked on the door and called out, “Princess, a servant’s here with food.”

Instead of anyone showing up, the tray was swallowed into its very own shadow causing the servant to jump back with a scream.

“Oh Celestia, please shut him up,” I groaned as I cradled my head.

“Get out of here,” Eclipse ordered him, and the servant galloped away. His loud hoofsteps just made me wince.

Pitch and Shiver weren’t watching each other anymore, now they were looking at me oddly.

Eclipse faced them. “In case the week long absence didn’t make it obvious enough, Bluey isn’t a normal nightkin. Don’t talk about what you just saw, and don’t ask for more details. Understood?”

“I’m pretty sure Luna would skin you if you did,” I said with a smile then, just for good measure I decided to add, “Also, you two would make a cute couple.”

Cue the endless blushing.

What was it about that mare that attracted Gilda so? Surely it was not that short, stubby, cracked horn or that body. While it might have been lean and well muscled, it was still far too soft and it was so high maintenance. Just with the way it shone and flowed, it was clear it required a lot of bits to maintain. And then there was her job as a street performer. A street performer of all things! Why, the court performers were just as beautiful and had more talents than that show mare.

Yes, it was a real conundrum what Gilda saw in this mare.

My eyes fell on the mare before me and a sigh escaped. She was completely exhausted, her horn was sparking and the crack was more obvious than ever. Though she looked dead on her hooves, she still sat by the bed, a hoof in Gilda’s claw and another on the gryphon’s cheek.

Perhaps it was loyalty. No doubt that’s what Celly would suggest. Loyalty and kindness and laughter and honesty and generosity and magic. Such utter rubbish. There was something deeper here, something different, something that I could not put my hoof on. It was so tempting to reach out, tweak something here, tweak something there, see how the love changed and altered in different conditions. Ah science, how far thou hast come since I gave birth to thee. To think an entire discipline that stemmed from my initial madness. I wonder what Twilight Sparkle would think if she found out.

I licked my dry lips.

“Thou shouldst eat. It would not do for thou to starve before Gilda recovers,” I said.

“Trixie will eat later.” For a brief second she glanced up from her chosen mate, but her eyes immediately snapped back down. “And thank you. Trixie knows Gilda would not be pleased if she finds out, but... thank you.”

I merely inclined my head before picking up the vial of blood, swirling it around and charging it with magic. Once more the residual magic reacted, and I growled in frustration. Sure, there was less than before, but the amount in her blood was concerning. Even now I could feel the shadows warping around us, reacting to her mere presence. Perhaps Nightmare’s concoction wasn’t as pure as she had thought. Or maybe it had to do with putting it in the food. Regardless, it was a fascinating concept, one that I would have to pursue at a later date. For now, the knowledge was stored in my infinite mental library, ready to be dissected at a later date.

Taking a deep breath, I considered my next words carefully, “Thou wouldst make a good nightkin.”

“Wh-What!?” Was that fear I saw in her eyes?

“We have a nightkin in our guard who had a broken horn who volunteered to become a nightkin. While he lost his unicorn magic, he gained the powers over shadow and he has been instrumental in compiling data on our unique brand of magic.” Though I kept my tone neutral, I smiled on the inside as I gently pushed her along. “With that crack, thou wouldst lose the majority of thy unicorn magic. Definitely not enough to continue making a living as thou hast done these past couple of months. But if thou were to become nightkin, thou could gain much back.”

Fear. That was definitely fear in her eyes. Fear of me or fear of her? Curious and curiouser. T'was a shame the changeling was not present, her input would have been invaluable.

“Just think about it and discuss it with thy gryphfriend when she awakes,” I said.

“I- That is- Um...” In the end, the showmare merely nodded slowly. “Al-Alright.”

Once more silence descended.

“She will wake up though. Right?” The pleading in her voice gave me pause. While she was no Gilda, there was still a strength there and she had been right there beside me in those final hours as we attempted to rescue gryphons.

“She will. The second ceremony should have stabilised her magic. Even now her blood is showing less signs of infusion, which is always a good sign.” A sigh escaped and I rubbed my temples. “Truthfully, We should have seen this coming, but Gilda was such a unique case that We loathed to interfere especially since she hath made it abundantly clear that she did not want us interfering in her life.”

“Well you did royally fuck her up.”

“While We acknowledge We may have played a minor role in that particular incident, We have attempted to ‘patch things up’ We believe the colloquial term to be.” I gave her a flat look. “Using the exact same advice We were given by thee on our journey of self discovery if thou recalls.”

“You actually took our advice? Equestria is doomed.”

“Do not worry, We only took thou advice to annoy Our sister.”

“That’s not reassuring at all.”

Once more we lapsed into silence and even though I wasn’t a changeling, I could feel worry just oozing out of her. Perhaps it would be a good idea to bring the changeling in here in an attempt to calm her down. As long as she didn’t realise it was a changeling of course.

“Actually, Luna, there’s a favour Tri- I’d like to ask for...”

My ears perked up and I looked at her curiously. “Speak.”

“Well Gilda’s mother came up fro-”

“Done.” I said with a wave of my hoof. “We art glad she made it safely. We had offered her use of the royal guards, but she refused.”

“R-Really? Well, um, thanks for the offer....” Trixie flushed and looked away with a small smile. “You should have seen how angry Gilda was when she learnt you had been in contact with her mother. She looked so fierce and protective an-and...” Tears began leaking down her face.

I ran through all the various appropriate social responses in a situation in like this, trying to locate the most appropriate one and ended up at hugging. Of all the things ponies could have settled on, it had to be hugging. Sometimes, I truly wondered what was wrong with ponies. Still it was the appropriate behaviour now and that merely meant I had to adjust as much as I disliked it.

Standing up, I walked over and awkward wrapped a hoof around her shoulder in what I hoped to be a reassuring hug that didn’t involve too much touching. Of course as soon as I touched her, she wrapped both hooves around me and cried into my chest. As I awkwardly stroked her mane, trying my hardest not to send her to the sun, all I could think about was how weak she must be to break down so easily. Truly, if only that changeling was in here, this could have all been avoided.

After far too long, she pulled back and sniffled. “Sorry...”

“Tis fine,” I replied with a shrug, magically removing the tears from my coat. “The prospect of losing a loved one is never easy.”

“Y-Yeah.” She opened her mouth to say more, but closed it slowly. “Could I... that is... that unicorn you were talking about earlier.”

“He is guarding the room right now. We can call him in if thou likes.”

“Well... um...” She glanced down at Gilda nervously. “Yes. Trixie would like that.”

“Very well.” I waved my hoof over the shadow before me, watching it ripple to show me Eclipses face as though I was using a mirror instead. “Sergeant Eclipse, thy presence is needed.”

There was a polite knock on the door and I unlocked it, letting him step in before I immediately locked it so prying eyes could not look in.

“Sergeant, this is the Great and Powerful Trixie. Trixie, this is Eclipse, the unicorn was who We were referring to.”

He smiled and gave a polite bow to Trixie. “How can I help?” he asked me as he rose again. His eyes turned to Gilda, before looking back to me.

“This is Gilda, We do not need to mention what will happen if thou talks about her We hope,” I said.

“Luna,” warned Trixie, “Trixie thought she explained how threats like those are not common nor accepted in modern society.”

Eclipse blinked in surprise, and gave Trixie a very confused look. “...You are aware you’re talking to Princess Luna, Lady of the Night, Mare of the Moon, living goddess among various other titles?”

“And you realise you’re addressing the Great and Powerful Trixie correct?” she asked.

I simply waved him down before he could say anything else. “Tis fine Sergeant, they art friends of mine.”

“Don’t let Gilda hear you say that.” Trixie sighed and ran her hoof over Gilda’s crown feathers. “She can be so irrational and silly sometimes.”

“We recall.”

Eclipse coughed, and nodded at me. “In any case, I understand Princess. As always, I will keep the secrets you share with me.” He paused for a second. “On that note, it’s worth mentioning that our... new acquaintance has knowledge of... NK-001.”

“Not surprising, but still annoying,” I sighed, ignoring Trixie’s look of confusion. “Regardless, Trixie here wishes to talk to thou about thy transformation, specifically on magic or thy lack of it prior to and after thou transformation.”

He blinked at me, before bowing and turning to face Trixie. “Before I became a nightkin, I was a private in Celestia’s Solar Guard. My horn was completely snapped off in an... accident, and I was in recovery on a number of different medications for several months. My horn never grew back, and I lacked any magical ability for several months. After becoming a nightkin I had full access to all the nightkin powers, such as low level fine manipulation, energy absorption, and the famous shadow walking.” He paused for a moment, before he shrugged and added, “It’s actually interesting to note that shadow magic has slightly higher efficiency than any of the three tribe’s natural magics, but is nearly impossible to reach upper levels of power with.”

“Teleportation? Telekinesis? Illusions?”

“All possible, but to lesser degrees. Like I said, higher efficiency, but a lower peak. You could maintain use of low levels of load bearing telekinesis with shadow magic for hours longer than any unicorn, but it’s not possible to lift great weights the way a powerful unicorn like... The Bearer of Magic for example, could. As for illusions and teleportation, illusions are tricky, but manageable as long as the room is dark and it’s nothing too elaborate, and shadow walking has a much shorter radius of travel than a teleportation, but you can do multiple shadow walks in several minutes before you begin to feel any effects.”

“Sadly, nothing nearly as elaborate thou does now,” I said before she could even ask the question.

“Damn.” Trixie rubbed her face. “Is it just the theory not being there or...?”

“Well, it’s still an extremely new field of magic,” Eclipse shrugged. “If there was a way to increase the amount of energy exertion a nightkin can do at once, I can’t see any reason more complex magics wouldn’t be possible. That said, we don’t currently have a way to do that, and even then it wouldn't be as elaborate as your current spell-craft.” He smiled. “On the up side, you get to fly.”

That brought a grin to her face. “That’s true. What’s it like?”

“Freedom. Have you ever heard the way a pegasus brags about the freedom of the sky and the limits of the earth and the way unicorns and earth ponies simply don’t understand? I used to snort and roll my eyes when I heard them say that. The truth is they’re not wrong.” He smirked. “And who doesn’t enjoy a little exhilaration now and then?”

“Think about it this way, thou couldst be famous for expanding the field of magic in ways never imagined,” I added as I pulled out the needle. “Excuse Us, We need to draw blood once more.”

“There is that...” Trixie reluctantly moved out of the way and I could feel Eclipse’s eyes on her.

“If... you don’t mind me asking, is it true you’re in a relationship with... her?” He nodded at Gilda.

“Yes.” Trixie’s gaze hardened and I had to force myself to not roll my eyes as I drew out some more blood. “Is there an issue with that?”

“No, not that I can think of. It’s just... unusual.” He glanced to Gilda’s blood, and his eyes narrowed. “Is that from her? That’s... concerning.”

“Oh?” Trixie was suddenly in his face. “What’s so unusual about it? There’s nothing wrong with loving a gryphon you know.”

He took a step back, and blinked in surprise. “Well, no there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s just that cultural differences between gryphons and ponies can be extreme, not to mention anatomy and emotional responses. I’m just... surprised that it could work... Assuming that it is working.”

“It is,” hissed Trixie. “We love each other and we make it work. Plus, the things she can do with those claws... well... Anatomy isn’t that different.”

Eclipse grimaced at the mental image. “I intended no offence. It was just... scientific curiosity that compelled me to ask. Interspecies relations are becoming increasingly relevant to my work these days.”

I cocked an eyebrow at that one, but otherwise focused on my task, adding the various chemicals to the blood before swirling it slowly.

“It’s not as exotic as it sounds,” said Trixie with a shrug. “It’s no different from dating any other pony really. Well, pegasus in this case.”

He nodded and smiled knowingly. “Yes, pegasus mares tend to be... rather fiery.” Stepping closer, he watched me work curiously. “Was the ritual she was subjected to unmodified from the one intended for a pony? The magic and the blood aren’t as integrated as they should be.”

“Potentially,” I said as I examined the odd mixture. “It’s definitely stabilizing, which is good news. A couple more hours and we’ll know if she’s out of the danger zone.”

“That’s good.” Trixie shoved me out of the way as she rushed back to Gilda’s side. “And who are you working with? You mentioned interracial relationship?”

I subtly shook my head at him.

“I was referring to the amount of interaction I have with gryphon’s these days.” He answered politely. “More and more are coming in every day. So much so that I’ve had to start studying the languages of the northern tribes. Not to mention the current plan for a more racially integrated guard, getting inside knowledge on how to approach social interactions seems prudent.”

“Hm...” Trixie peered at him curiously. “Well Gilda would certainly be a help, but that’s never going to happen. Like Trixie said, her gryphfriend can be very irrational.”

“Well, I’m sure we’ll be working together if she accepts Luna’s job offer.” He glanced back at me. “If I may be permitted to ask, is there a serious risk that Gilda will attack you? Should she really be in the palace if that’s the case?”

“Probably,” chuckled Trixie.

“Most definitely thou means,” I said with an eyeroll. “But do not fear, she cannot defeat Us or even come close to it.”

“If you’re certain...” he gave Gilda an appraising look. “Just remember that it’s not just your safety that’s a concern, but everyone in the palace. If she goes berserk, she’ll attack anything she perceived as a threat... and you did just say she can be irrational.”

And just like that Trixie had him pinned against the wall and I sighed yet again.

“Do not say that about Gilda,” hissed Trixie.

“Trixie, please release Our guard.”

“Pretty bad guard,” she muttered as she let him go, causing him to splutter as the hoof was removed from his neck.

“Was that strictly necessary?” He frowned at her and rubbed his throat. “I’m a tactician, not a thug.” Jerking his head at Gilda, he added, “I’d certainly make a better officer than that gryphon ever would.”

“And thy petty nonexistent feud bores me.” I gave him a flat look. “Perhaps thou shouldst figure out what she has that thou lacks rather than mope away in thy room.”

“Such as a-” he cut himself off before he finished that sentence. Instead he said calmly, “Is there anything else you need from me?”

Trixie thought it over. “No, Trixie thinks you can leave now.”

He nodded again, and turned to me, bowing as he said, “Princess.”

“Dismissed,” I said before growling, “and We do not wish to hear those thoughts ever agai-”

“Luna!” snapped Trixie.

“Habits are hard to break,” I replied with a shrug.

Without another word he nodded and walked out the door, leaving me alone with Trixie again.

“So she’ll be fine?” asked Trixie.

“Yes.” I applied my magic to the blood just to double check. “She’s past the most dangerous phase We feel.”

“Alright.” Trixie breathed out slowly. “It’s just everything has been so...”

“We understand.” I stretched my legs. “And please remember to eat.”

“In a bit, I’ll eat soon. Promise.”

Once more I found myself watching her hunched figure as Trixie lightly stroked Gilda’s cheek. There was definitely something there. Something beyond just mere harmony. I suppose it could have been love, but that was such an unsatisfactory answer, but it would be an answer. I suppose even after all these years, some things do stay constant. Maybe in another couple thousands I would finally understand these strange mortal creatures.