• Published 12th Jun 2013
  • 898 Views, 11 Comments

In Sombra Cadum - Darkryt Orbinautz



After coming home from the Crystal Empire, Twilight wants to experiment with the spell she learned today...

  • ...
3
 11
 898

Stone

By Darkryt Orbinautz

In Sombra Cadam

Chapter 1

Stone


The mountains were an impressive sight to behold and wonderful to travel along, no mater how what species was doing the beholding or traveling. Griffon, mule, dragon, pony, human, merloc, zombie, vampire...

Today was an important day in the history of Equestria. The Crystal Empire had resurfaced, after having been buried underneath its own ice blankets by the curse of an unicorn who had grown powerful beyond the capabilities of any regular pony- or...being.

King Sombra. The name meant 'shadow' in some language not normally spoken by ponies. He was a dreaded figure amongst the native Crystal Ponies of aforementioned Crystal Empire, having taken over 1000 years ago.

But all this is really tangential, as he had been defeated- for good, forever, shattered into a thousand pieces...except for maybe his horn, which was seen flying away from the explosion, according to witness reports.

Twilight Sparkle and her friends, Applejack, Rarity, Spike, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Pinkie were riding on the train back home to Ponyville from Canterlot.

Twilight herself was staring out the window at the world outside. She had passed a test given her to by Princess Celestia. Celestia told her that she to abandon all her previous lessons about the magic of friendship and be the sole helper in the Crystal Ponies' efforts to oust Sombra at last. In truth, it was a test of character to see if Twilight would choose between her own interests or helping others. Twilight passed, as she gave a magical relic called the Crystal Heart to Spike to deliver Princess Cadence, meaning...she had to rely on her friends, but in sacrificing her passing of the test to help the Crystal Ponies, Twilight had in reality passed.

She didn't seem as happy she should've been about this development. She kept staring out the window. As if oblivious to her friends excited chatter about making a future visit to the Empire. It was almost like she was...

Stone.

"Twilight?" Spike asked. "You okay?"

Twilight didn't reply. She just kept staring out.

"Twilight?"

"...Twilight!"

"Hmm?" Twilight said, paying attention at last. "Oh, yeah...what is it, Spike?"

"You don't seem that happy, Twi." Spike said. "You passed the test and saved the Crystal Empire! You should be talking with everypony else and celebrating!"

"I should." Twilight said without a trace of emotion. "I'm sorry, Spike. I just can't stop thinking about..."

"About?"

"Nothing."

"Well, it can't be nothing." Spike reasoned. "If it was nothing, you wouldn't be thinking about it."

Spike was unaccustomed to the wonders of the world, being young. He couldn't have known that 'nothing' was quite the thing to be thinking about, and quite worrisome under the right- or wrong, rather- circumstances.

Not that Twilight was thinking about nothing.

In reality, she was thinking about the many enchantments and traps King Sombra had laid out to prevent his power from being usurped. The torn book page, the staircase hidden inside the castle, and the enchanted door...

The door.

The door.

Twilight couldn't drag her thoughts away from the door. It had been enchanted so that whomever dared to open it would their worst nightmare realized. It was by only luck that Spike had come along against Twilight's wishes, allowing Twilight to break free of the trance.

But still...it was a trance. Twilight wasn't one for spells that involved the controlling, the manipulation of minds, but she had been seeing them more and more recently, between the Changeling Queen and Shadow King.

The train arrived in Ponyville, the home of Twilight and her friends. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie wanted to hang out, but everypony else wanted to go home and rest from their adventure today. A compromise was meant where Dash and Pinkie went to hang out by their own while everypony else got their rest.

Along the way, Twilight made a detour to a market strand where she purchased a prism. A- wait for it- crystal that reflected light easily.

"What do you that for, Twilight?" Spike questioned as Twilight pocketed the prism in the bunches of her tail. "You already have a dozen prisms at home for experiments and study."

"I have another experiment in mind that's going to call for the consumption of a crystal." Twilight explained.

"Consumption?"

"Yes. As in, it's going to be gone when I'm done with it."

Spike wanted to question her further, but Twilight remained silent the remainder of the way home.

In fact, once they got home, it was dark, but Twilight ran straight up the stairs to her bedroom and locked door without even brushing her teeth.

"What kind of experiment is she working on?" Spike questioned, scratching his head at Twilight's abnormal behavior.

While Spike was left downstairs to ponder what was going on, Twilight set the prism down on her desk.

It was true that Twilight had many prisms somewhere in her library home for a variety of purpose, but Twilight wanted this one for a special one.

Twilight was adept at magic. There could be no denying that. So it was a surprise to anypony-or wouldn't have, if anypony had been around at the time- how quickly Twilight learned to mimic Sombra's magic after Celestia had shown it to her only once.

It wasn't normal for a pony's spell to stay the same color no matter who used it. Normally, a spell, regardless of origin, would adapt to the pony's natural color when used. Not Sombra's.

Not the spell Twilight preparing to cast. Her eyes turned into the bright green with red irises coloring of Sombra's own. Black shafts of light escaped her horn and beamed into the prism, turning into a twisted black creation of Sombra...Sombranian? Sombric? Oh, forget it. 'Of the same origin as King Sombra'!

Twilight fell onto her back, overwhelmed. Her eyes were expressionless as they glowed. , and she laid there for hours, until the wee morning gave Spike the opportunity to lock pick her door and be horrified at Twilight lying there, motionless, expressionless...like...

Stone.

Author's Note:

So, yeah. This was a thing I did awhile go. Based off the totally - wait for it- stoned expression Twilight has when under the door's spell.

On the original Fanfiction posting, there was a different chapter 1, which I did not delete, but instead, I uploaded this chapter as the second chapter as a revision. Makes perfect sense.