• Published 12th Jun 2013
  • 460 Views, 5 Comments

In the Silver Lining - Tower of 0



So, two ponies walk into a bar, right? Eh, forget it....

  • ...
 5
 460

A Day at the Races

There he was, Swift Storm, Novice Pegasus Racer, but well-known to most in Cloudsdale as the Silver Streak. His silver mane, which contributed to his title, was at it's usual short length that made it hug his head. He somehow was now at the starting of the biggest racing event known to equine-kind, the Equestria National Circuit.

This was also the hardest race to gain a spot in also, seems as only the big wigs of wings were allowed to compete. This year seemed different for them though, seeing Silver Streak had quite the positive reputation in Cloudsdale along with a few sponsors, one of which was Cloudsdale weather factory.

Yet, there he was, at the only race he ever dreamed of entering. A dream come true for him, but Swift Storm was seen as a pest to some egotistical racers there. He sported a calm, knowing smile. His face usually was calm either way, but he was just happy to finally be apart of the ENC.

"Are all racers at their starting positions?" An announcer pegasus floated into view.

Most of the racers nodded.

"All right, this is Phase One of the Equestria National Circuit, you'll be starting here in the capitol of Canterlot and race your way to Applewood." The announcer continued.

Canterlot to Applewood? Swift had to make sure he made it there, just had to.

"You will get time to rest once you're there, the Princess has made arrangements to accommodate each racer until Phase Two of the races."

"All racers," A mare flew into view, taking the announcer's place, "would you please get your wings ready?"

Her tone was polite, but everyone obliged.

"On your marks. Get Set."

Moments passed by slowly as she paused with a smirk.

"Fly!"

All the racers left the streets of Canterlot to take to the skies above. Swift was slowly making his way through the large pack of fliers. He could've sworn a Wonderbolt was doing the exact same as he was. He felt a small bump from on of his sides. Swift gazed around to find a devilish smile adorned on a griffon who had a scar over one eye.


"Waitwaitwaitwaitwait, there was a griffin smiling at you?" Ivory asked, interrupting his friend.

"Yeah, but I could tell he was planning something." Swift replied.

"Yet, how many fliers were in that race?"

"Roughly 40. more than half were pegasi."

"Well I would assume so."

"Yeah,a lot of fliers."

"Anyway, what happened between you and that griffon?"

"You see what happened was..."


The griffon then proceeded to slam its entire body into Swift's underside, causing to lose his control. The griffon itself laughed to itself and said something Swift didn't quite catch. He was reeling in the air, trying to catch himself before something bad had happened to the other fliers and himself.

Swift finally caught himself near the edge of the race cloud. Swift grimaced to himself.

"Alright, time for Silver Streak to live up to his name." Swift smiled to himself as he took off again.

Swift was gaining speed and gaining it fast as he passed racers one at a time or two. His silver tail left behind the origin of his nick name, a silver line following his flank. He slowed his speed down as he neared the griffon. He clapped his hooves together in a joking manner, catching the griffon's attention, then gave the griffon a joke salute before flying off.

Swift was gaining leverage and climbing to the top of the pack in minutes, but the trip to Applewood was still a long ways ahead. Eventually, every other racer would get tired at some point and slow themselves down to a pace, this left Swift and that one Wonderbolt he spotted earlier. They both were leading the pack now.


Swift and the Wonderbolt made it to Applewood after a few long hours of flying. The other fliers only managed about thirty minutes after they both landed. Swift spent a majority of the duo flight exchanging conversation and stories with the Wonderbolt, and might have made a new friend in the process.

The race had it where a hotel or hotels could accomidate the fliers after each phase. The first to fliers there were treated to penthouses or master suites. Mostly the hotels offered master suites due to the penthouses always being occupied, and since Swifty never been to a hotel let alone spend the next few days in a master suite.

Swift put the key to his suite into the lock and pulled it out a second later. The light flashed green and door unlicked itself, allowing Swift to enter his temporary lodging. He was awe struck. The suite he had gotten literally might have been bigger than his home, even though it didn't possess just one story.

There was a bed bigger than his back home that was seen all the way on the back of the room. The kitchen was big and complete with a stocked fridge. Even the bathroom amazed him, against one wall was a huge jacuzzi with a shower off to the side. Swift had a feeling this was going to be one helluva race if this keeps going.

Swift was laying on the bed, admiring it's plushness, until a knock came to his door. He groaned as he got up and made his way slowly across his suite and open the door. There he found the Wonderbolt from earlier with a bit of a smile to her face.

"Hey, I invited some of the other fliers to my suite for a party, you wanna join?" She asked

"Sure, I guess I could for a party, been a while since I been to one though." Swift replied, eyeing her.

"Fantastic!" Without another word, or before Swift could get another word out, she yanked him from his room.


"You met and partied with a Wonderbolt? I think that might just make Rainbow Dash a wee bit jealous my friend." Ivory stated, taking a drink from his third mug tonight.

"Who's Rainbow Dash?" Swift asked, obvious he didn't know much about some of the ponies in Ponyville.

"A friend of Applejack's. She's a bit protective of her friends if she doesn't know you too well, other than that, she's cool as long as she's not bragging." Ivory answered his friend's question.

"Sounds like she has a huge ego." Swift observed the comment.

"One you wouldn't believe." Ivory chuckled a bit.

Author's Note:

Ivory chapter next? More pub hijinks? How about a dash of chaos?