• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 15,741 Views, 703 Comments

Left 4 Derpy - Edmar Fecler



Derpy finds herself in the zombie apocalypse with four humans.

  • ...
25
 703
 15,741

Chapter 11: A Speedy Getaway

Left 4 Derpy

Chapter 11: A Speedy Getaway

It didn’t take too long for Ditzy to find a vehicle that looked decent enough. On her return flight, she got a funny feeling she was being watched. When she turned to see if anything was following her, she caught a glimpse of something darting behind an air conditioning unit a few roofs back.

She began flying towards the AC unit to investigate, but stopped herself. The recollection of what happened last time she went to investigate something alone hit her like a ton of bricks, as if to say “What, you didn’t learn your lesson after that run-in with the witch?” She ran a hoof down the scar the witch’s claws left behind. And given the condition of Francis, he was in no condition for another well-timed rescue if things went south.

Ditzy looked back at the AC unit for a moment before turning and continuing her flight back to the group. Little did she know; once she had turned around, the hunter crept out from behind the air conditioner and continued his pursuit.

It wasn’t long before Ditzy landed beside the freight truck where the other humans were positioned. Bill lowered his rifle and took a step towards her. “Hey kid. Any luck on finding a usable car?”

Ditzy nodded happily. “Yep! At least, I think I did. I don’t know that much about your vehicles, but I think the one I found will do.”

Bill grinned. “Alright, what’s it look like?”

“Well,” Ditzy cocked her head as she thought. “It was a bit bigger than the car Francis pointed out earlier. It had an open place in the back, like the wagons back home, and a small cab that looked like it could hold two of you. The back was loaded up with a bunch of boxes and other square-ish things, but if we cleared those out it would be a good place to lay Francis down.”

“Heh, sounds like you managed to find a pickup after all,” Bill said with a chuckle.

“So that’s what you were talking about!”

“Yep. Say, it didn’t look too damaged or anything, did it?”

“Nope; it looked fine to me. Though I didn’t really find the color to be appealing.”

Bill shrugged. “Beggars can’t be choosers.” Ditzy nodded in agreement as Bill turned to the other three survivors. “Alright, Ditzy and I are going to go get the truck. Louis, Zoey, you stay here and Keep Francis from getting himself killed.”

“Hey-” Francis tried to protest, only to be cut off by Zoey.

“Will do. And try to hurry, I honestly don’t know how long he can stay like this.”

“-I’m fine!”

“No, Francis, you’re not. Now stay still.” Zoey knelt down beside him. Louis simply nodded to Bill in agreement.

Bill nodded back to Louis before looking back down to Ditzy. “Alright kid, lead the way.”

Ditzy smiled back up at him before lifting herself back into the air with a few flaps of her wings. “Come on, this way!”

-

It took longer to get to the truck than it had before, but the trip was still relatively short. The two turned a corner and found the truck parked half in the street and half on the sidewalk. There were several cardboard boxes and old TVs in the truck bed, just like Ditzy had described. Bill noted that the dark store it was parked outside had its display window smashed in, and several of the displays were missing.

“Damn looters,” he muttered with a scowl. “Ditzy, you check the cab for the keys and see if the thing will start. Can you do that?”

“I think so.”

“Good. I’ll make sure nobody is going to jump out and try and shoot us.” Bill watched as Ditzy opened the driver’s door with a wing and climbed onto the seat. He chuckled at how clever she really was. Despite the apocalyptic circumstances, he was glad she was with them.

After a quick moment the thought passed, and Bill’s concentration was brought back to the situation at hand. Looters didn’t just leave their loot lying out in the open, so they had to be nearby. Whether they were dead or alive, he knew he had to find them.

Bill walked up to the shop’s entrance and opened the door slowly, making sure to keep his rifle raised and ready in case anything jumped out at him. “Hello; anybody in here?” He caught a glimpse of a common infected. He around and splattered the zombie’s brains against the wall with a well placed shot to the forehead. “…Anybody that isn’t infected, that is?”

After a moment of searching the dark, Bill found a light switch and flicked it on. The newfound light revealed the shop to be a jewelry store. Now that he could see, Bill immediately saw a masked body lying in the glass near the showcase. One hand was stretched towards the window, while the other clutched a mangled mass of necklaces and jewels. A blood trail from his missing leg led across the floor to a door behind a set of shattered display cases.

“Damn…” Bill muttered to himself as he looked over the scene. “Must have found more than he bargained for.” He followed the blood trail back to the door and aimed his rifle, ready for anything. He opened the door slowly, and took a cautious step into the pitch black room. He could see more blood on the floor from the light coming in around him, and the smell…

The sound of someone sobbing within the room reached his ears, sending a chill down his spine. That was more than enough to tell him what had conspired. He backed out of the room slowly before closing the door behind him.

Bill walked over and looked down at the looter that had tried to escape. “Poor bastard…”

“Hey Bill!” Ditzy shouted out from the truck, breaking his concentration. “I think I figured out how to start the engine! You just put the key in here… and turn!” The truck’s motor started up with a rumble.

“Great job kid,” he replied, trying to sound happy for her. “But I’m still drivi-” suddenly the radio came on and started blaring “Highway to Hell” at full blast. “Shit; turn it off! Turn it off!”

“Aaaaah!” Ditzy began running her hooves across the complex set of buttons imbedded in the dash. “I don’t know how!”

Bill could hear the cry of zombies in the distance as the music echoed through the streets. “Shit!” He scrambled out the display window and rushed to the van, but he found the passenger door to be locked. “Unlock it, hurry!”

“I’m trying! Er…” she continued pushing all the buttons she could see. “Come on!”

“Damnit; cover your eyes!” Bill said as he pulled out his pistol. Ditzy did as she was told and covered her face as Bill smashed in the window with his elbow. He aimed the pistol and fired three quick shots into the radio. The song warped a bit before dying out as the radio sputtered and sparked.

Bill could hear the zombies getting closer every moment. “Move over, we’ve got to get out of here!”

“Right!” Ditzy brushed the broken glass out of the passenger seat and slid in it as Bill ran around the car and opened the driver’s door.

Bill jumped in the driver’s seat and adjusted himself to the controls before slamming the gearshift into drive. He could see a multitude of zombies beginning to swarm the street in front of them. “Hold on kid, this is going to get bumpy.”

“Hold onto what?! I don’t have hands!”

“Right, just… brace yourself.” The back tires screeched in an attempt to gain traction as Bill floored the gas pedal. Once the wheels found the traction they wanted, the truck shot forwards. Bill turned the steering wheel sharply, causing the truck to skid into a 180 degree turn, pointing them back the way they came. Several of the boxes and TVs in the back flew over the side, crushing a few zombies that had gotten close. Bill floored the gas again and sped off towards the warehouse.

-

The truck sped into the parking lot and came to a screeching halt in front of the freight truck where the others were. Bill rolled down the window and stuck his head out. “Come on, hurry up and get Francis in the back! We don’t have much time before the horde catches up to us!”

Louis jumped in the back and began chucking the remaining boxes and TVs out the side as Zoey walked up to the cab. “What the hell happened out there?” she asked, noticing the bullet-riddled radio. “We could hear that music all the way back here!”

“Nice choice of song, by the way!” Francis shouted from where he was slouched against one of the freight truck’s tires. “I love that one!”

“It came on when we started it up and couldn’t figure out how to turn it off fast enough, so I shot it.”

“And the window?” Zoey continued.

“I needed a clear shot.”

“Back’s clear!” Louis shouted as he jumped across the side. “Come on Zoey, help me lift Francis up.”

“I can help too,” Ditzy said as she got out of the passenger’s seat. She flew over to Francis and put her forelegs underneath each arm before flapping her wings hard to pull him to his feet. Once he was upright, Zoey and Louis each took one of his arms over their shoulders to support his weight.

“Ack! Not that this hurts or anything, but you mind taking it a bit easier?” Francis said as his feet tried to keep up with the pace of his carriers. He heard a sort of howl echo from the approaching horde. “Uh… On second thought, forget taking it easy. Just get me to the damn truck so we can get the hell outta’ here!”

Zoey rolled her eyes. When they reached the truck, she stepped away from Francis and pulled the tailgate down with a thud. Ditzy pulled Francis into the truck bed as Louis lifted up his legs and pushed. After a few agitated grunts and groans from the biker, he was lying to the side of the bed with his arms lying across his chest.

Bill noticed the first of the zombie horde begin running into the parking lot. “Zoey, Pipe bombs. Now!”

“Got it.” She activated the homemade bomb and threw it as hard as she could into the approaching horde. The zombies took immediate interest in the high-pitched beeping and began swarming around the bomb.

“Louis, you got shotgun! Zoey, keep an eye on Francis! And Ditzy,” the pony looked back to him from where she was floating in the air. “Keep those bastards out of the back, got it?” A confident grin spread across her face and saluted the veteran before pulling out her sword.

The pipe bomb’s beeps increased in speed before it exploded, sending blood, guts, and body parts flying in every direction. Zoey hopped in the bed beside Francis as Louis got in the passenger’s seat with a quick yelp. After pulling a piece of glass out of his pants, he sat back down and held his Uzi out the window.

Ditzy on the other hand landed in the truck bed around Francis’s legs and growled at the nearing horde. Not a single zombie was going to harm her friends. Not if she had anything to say about it.

“Here we go!” Bill shouted from the cab before the tires screeched into motion again. The truck slung skidded into another 180 degree turn and began plowing through the mass of common infected, crushing any and all in its path. Meanwhile Louis and Zoey were unloading their guns into the masses as they sped past. Ditzy, however, flew above the truck, swooping down and slicing through zombies with her sword like a hot knife through butter.

All Francis could do was cover his face and vest as best as possible to prevent getting too much blood on him. It was going to be a long drive to the hospital.