• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 1,400 Views, 52 Comments

Her Frontier - FromTheMoon



Rainbow Dash heads out in hopes of leaving behind the familiar and earning the title of Hero on her own.

  • ...
6
 52
 1,400

What Wings Are For

Chapter 6: What Wings Are For

It had been five day since Apple Jack had gone back to PonyVille and Rainbow Dash had stayed behind in EverGlade. Top Notch had agreed to allow Rainbow Dash to stay with him at the dairy farm and was even going to pay her for the work she would put in. The afternoon after Apple Jack had left was spent by Rainbow Dash being taught how things worked around the farm. It wasn't the first time the Pegasus had worked on a farm since she would help out on the Apple farm every now and then. Those were apples and not cows however. Two days ago was Rainbow Dash's first attempt at actually milking a cow under Top Notch's supervision.

There were a few things that she never knew about milking cows. The first being that apparently a cows teats had to be cleaned with iodine before use and the second was that to reduce the friction on the teats the milker had to apply Vaseline or some other type of lubricant to their hooves. When Rainbow had asked Top Notch were he had gotten the Vaseline from he had said that the bottle he handed to her was from the nightstand next to his bed. Rainbow had blushed hard and quickly threw the bottle as far away from her as she could with Top Notch dying in fits of laughter. He assured her that he was just joking but his assurances didn't get the mental images out of her head. The first day of milking had gone smooth enough after that with only seven buckets of milk lost to accidents.

Now it was the sixth day and Rainbow Dash was taking her break on a cloud high above the farm. "Oh come whats taking it so long? I'm sure AJ would of been back at PonyVille by now taking care of what I asked her to do." Rainbow said to herself. "Lets see I told her exactly what to do right?" Rainbow closed her eyes and and started mentally checking off all the things that she had told Apple Jack. "Tell Fluttershy to look after Tank while I'm gone, go to the weather office in PonyVille and tell them that I'm taking an extended leave for a while, ask Pinkie Pie to send me some stuff from the bakery every now and then, and I'm sure I told her to go to my cloud home and send me some of my stuff along with my collection of...CRAP!"

"Oh please tell me that I didn't forget to tell her to include those in the package she's sending me. Damn it if I forgot then that means ugh...and the last chapter was such a cliffhanger as too! Freaking hate cliffhangers like that." She put her hooves to her face and rubbed her eyes, she had never realized just how hard and weird it was milking cows for a living. Sure they could talk and help her through it but that just made it all the more weird for her. Top Notch said that she'd get used to it and that she was a fast learner but she hand't believed it. She let out a yawn and could feel that she was tired but for some reason could not fall asleep again. "Not this again, every night for the past four days I've slept like a filly. Why can't I fall asleep right now?"

"Well there is that trick that Apple Jack taught me on the train but..." Rainbow had remembered the dream that had occurred last time she had done that. She gave it some consideration before deciding that she would actually choose the memory this time and not take the first one that came to mind. "Alright so lets see what we got to work with." She closed her eyes and began searching for a decent memory but her subconscious seemed to have other plans. A memory presented itself to her and she felt herself lose consciousness.

***

"Come on Twilight, don't tell me that you're afraid of this after all the things you've seen and done. I promise that nothings going to happen to you."

"You can't possibly promise that, you don't know what might happen!

"Do you know what might happen?"

"Well no but still! The wind might blow harder, or another Pegasus might crash into me, or who knows a dragon might come from out of no where and attack us!"

"You see there are plenty of valid things that could happen while I'm doing this."

"Wow, okay first off I already checked the weather for today and there's going to be nothing but gentle breezes all day. Second, this a private spot that only I know of so there's no chance of another Pegasus crashing into you. Third, how are you enjoying Pinkie Pie's fanfiction club? I remember her telling me the other day that they had just gotten their hooves on some fantasterific DragonXGriffon...

"Okay okay! Maybe I was considering the worst case scenarios, you know how I tend to be when it comes to these sort of things."

"So you ready to start or what?"

"Not really."

"Awesome, now I bet you're wondering why I brought you to this cliff face today."

"Well come on, you've got to be wondering right? Maybe even got some questions you want to ask me before we start?"

"I'm scared to ask."

"Look Twilight its simple, all you're going to do is stand at the edge of the cliff and then jump off. Easy right?"

"That's stupid!"

"No, that's how I learned how to fly. Except in my case I jumped off from my cloud home in CloudsDale and I didn't have a cloud preserver like you will."

"I see, so that's why you brought that tuft of cloud with us."

"Mhmm."

"Right then on second thought Rainbow Dash maybe I'll just have myself be pulled around on a chariot like Princess Celestia does. Thank you for your time Rainbow but I don't think I'll be needing these flying lessons any..."

"Nope, not an option for you Twilight. Look I didn't want to say anything before with me being the Element of Loyalty and all that but Princess Celestia has a fat ass. No disrespect to her of course."

"Rainbow are you trying to me me something?"

"What do you think wings are for?

"To fly, I mean isn't that sort of obvious?

"Right for a normal Pegasus, Griffon, or bird that is all that wings would be for but you are no normal Pegasus Twilight. You are a Princess, you're going to have learn not to depend on others as much as you used to. You need to learn to rely on yourself from now on to get what it is a Princess does done."

"The best place to start would be learning to trust your own wings Twilight. You see what I'm getting at?"

"Yes, yes I do. I'm still not sure abut this but you do a valid arguement as to why I must learn how to fly. So thank you Rainbow Dash, I think."

"Heck that's what friends are for right? Oh but could you maybe do me a tiny little favor?"

"Name it."

"Please don't mention to Princess Celestia that I said she has a fat ass.

"I Pinkie Promise."

"Sweet, now go on. Its time for you to take your first leap of faith Twilight."

Author's Note:

Just a little note here but I am going to try and update this story every Saturday until completion.