• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 1,400 Views, 52 Comments

Her Frontier - FromTheMoon



Rainbow Dash heads out in hopes of leaving behind the familiar and earning the title of Hero on her own.

  • ...
6
 52
 1,400

Decisions [Part 2]

Chapter 5: Decisions [Part2]

The inevitable never came for the Earth Pony stallion. The moments he waited for the tower to come crashing down on him seemed to last hours. He thought that time was being cruel to him. He waited to feel the enormous weight crush his entire body. Even more cruel he thought was that his friends and family were there to witness his death. More time passed but he continued on living.

"Hey! Not that I'm trying to rush you or anything but could you MOVE out of the way? Geez some ponies these days."

It was the most angelic thing that Top Notch had ever heard. He found the strength to open his eyes and the first sight he saw was a blue figure flying over him holding the tower back. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

"Apple Jack move your cousin now! I don't know how much longer I can hold this thing up!" Apple jack obeyed Rainbow's order and ran to Top Notch lifting him up on her back getting him a safe distance away.

"Top Notch! Top Notch you there cousin? Come on Top Notch ah need you to stay with us here!" The Earth Pony stallion seemed the be in a daze. Apple Jack tried shaking him but it was to no avail. Clover Leaf came over towards Apple Jack and gently nudged her away.

"Let me handle this honey, I've got experience with these sort of things." She put her hoof under Top Notch's chin and moved his head side to side a flew times before she abruptly slapped him hard across the face with her other hoof.

"OW! What the...Clover Leaf, did you just slap me?" Clover's strategy had worked and Top Notch was now fully aware of his surroundings.

"I'll take the blame for that shug but right now we need you to concentrate. Rainbow Dash is holding the water tower up right now but she can't hold it forever. How do we get the tower to stay upright?"

Top Notch tried to stand but a sharp pain at his side forced him to to the ground again. "Damn it I can't move, buck my sides hurt." Apple Jack stood in front of Top Notch and helped him stand. "Look cousin, ah'm decent with repairs back on m'ah farm. Just tell me what ah I need to do."

"Right well I can't see from here but it looks like one of the support screws burst from its socket, come to think of it that's probably what hit me. Okay first you're going to have to find the missing screw, then you going to have to align the tower straight, and then finally your going to have to put the screw back in. That should hold the tower long enough for decent repairs to be..."

"UH HELLO!? Guys, Pegasus still holding a water tower over here. So if we could oh I don't know maybe speed up the explanation that would be awesome thanks!"

The group of three ponies had almost forgotten that Rainbow Dash was still holding the water tower. Apple Jack sprung into action and ran towards the base of the tower with the eyes scanning the ground. "Right, sorry about that RD. Now Top Notch were do you think that steel screw rolled off to?"

Top Notch was leaning heavily against Clover Leaf now barely even to stand himself. "You're seriously asking me that cousin, seriously?"

"Ah figured that since you got yer'self hit by it then you might of known where it rolled off to. Logic and all that."

If it wasn't for the excruciating pain that he now found himself in Top Notch would of probably laughed at that. "Look just search in between the legs, it couldn't of gotten too far if it hit me first." Apple Jack searched frantically around the water towers legs until her eye caught sight if her prize.

"Think ah found it you guys." She held up the screw whiched shined in the sun. "So what do we have to do again Top Notch?"

For the first time in months Top Notch noticed that he was out of breath. "You...you...you gotta find where the screw came from and put it...put it..."

"Put it in?" Rainbow Dash asked. "Okay well how we gonna find where to put the damn thing in?" Rainbow was now flapping her wings harder putting as much as she could into keeping the tower from falling. Apple Jack searched the tower up and down with her eyes until she thought she saw a small opening. "Rainbow ah think ah found it only one problem though. Its like fif'teen feet up, way out of m'ah reach. Ah don't know how we're gonna..."

Apple Jack was surprised to see Clover Leaf move next to her. She turned her head and saw that Top Notch was now leaning against Whiskey. "Maybe I can help honey, I got magic and I might as well use it." Clover looked at Rainbow Dash and let out a shrill whistle. "Hey, its Rainbow Dash right? Listen I'll put the screw back in but first you got to push the tower back to how it was."

"Easier said than done you know but sure, I'll give it my all. Just be ready to put that screw in." Rainbow Dash was huffing heavily now as she felt her strength leaving her body. "Look on the count of three I'm going to give this everything I got, after that well lets just say your going to want to move."

Clover Leaf just shook her head. "Not an option honey, we can't let this tower fall." An orange aura began to glow around Clover's horn and then she levitated the screw off Apple Jacks hoof. "Ready when you are!"

"Right one..."

"Two..."

Rainbow Dash called on all her remaining energy into her wings and took a deep breath. "THREE!"

She closed her eyes and pushed on the tower with all the might in her wings. She peeked through one of her eyes and was elated to see that the tower was actually moving back. She opened both her eyes and pushed but the tower had stopped moving back. Her wings felt as though they were on fire and her head was throbbing painfully, she had reached her limit. The could feel the tower falling against her. "Apple Jack, Clover get out! I can't hold..."

The Pegasus heard a loud Pang to her left. She turned her head and saw that a large white Pegasus stallion was now pushing up against the tower as well. "Who are..."

"Keep your mouth shut and just push the damn tower will ya?" The other Pegasus said back to her.

Rainbow Dash wanted to say something but she knew the stallion was right, right now all she had to do was push. Along with the other Pegasus she pushed the tower and felt that it was being put back into place. When she felt that the tower was now standing perfectly upright again she wanted to shout to Clover to put the screw in place but the other Pegasus beat her to it."

"Put the bucking screw in now girl!"

"Yes sir!" Clover answered as she went to work putting the screw back into place. She made sure that it was tightly in before giving the all clear.

Rainbow Dash gently lowered herself to the ground before passing out from exhaustion.


For the second time that day Rainbow Dash found that she had been abruptly woken up. She felt some pony poking her in the side. She opened her eyes expecting to see either Apple Jack or Clover Leaf standing over her but to her surpirse she saw that it was the other Pegasus.

"Little lady do you know that you're pretty bucking stupid for what you just tried to do?"

"Hey a little respect would go a long way buddy! I pretty much just helped save the towns water supply."

The Pegasus spat on the ground before answering her. "All you did was luck out. If I hand't come back from patrol you along with Clover Leaf over there would of probably been crushed to death."

"Hey do you even know who I am?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Do you know who I am?" The Pegasus responded.

Before the conversation could escalate any further Whiskey moved in between the two Pegasus. "Hey, hey , hey come on you two. This is no time to be fighting, the town was just saved from a catastrophic disaster."

"For you're own good stay out of this boy. Now you listen here little lady I'm this towns sheriff, Sheriff Silver Point."

"Ha I'll do you one better old timer. I'm Rainbow Dash The Element of Loyalty."

"Never heard of you" The sheriff said bluntly.

"Your joking right? Ever heard of the Elements of Harmony?"

"No."

"Well I was one of a special group of ponies who helped saved Equestria numerous times."

"Saved Equestria from what exactly little lady?"

Rainbow Dash smirked believing that she could easily put the stallion in his place with her list of feats. "From Nightmare Moon..."

"That's just an old ponies tale."

"From Discord..."

"I'm pretty sure that the Princesses did that."

"Defended the city of Canterlot from an invading army of changelings..."

"And I should care about that why?"

"Saved the Crystal Empire from..."

"Once again, I should care about that why?"

Nothing Rainbow Dash was saying was getting through to the sheriff. She had met some stubborn ponies before but this guy won the prize for biggest asshole in Equestria. Rainbow Dash wanted nothing more than to sock the Sheriff in his smug face and she was bout to when Apple Jack stepped in. "Easy there RD, lets not do something we're going to regret in the long run." Apple Jack then turned to face the sheriff. "Ah swear we don't want to cause any trouble Sheriff, we're just here visiting my cousin Top Notch and we'll be gone tomorrow."

"So you're Top Notches family huh? I guess that would explain a few things. Just keep her out of my way for the rest of your stay here."

The Sheriff opened his wings and took off into the sky leaving behind a very angry prismatic Pegasus. "That jerk, who does he think he is?"

"Don't...don't take...take what he means personally Rainbow Dash." Top Notch now leaning against Clover Leaf made his way to the group of friends. "He's just looking out for the whole town. He always has and I bet my bottom bit that he always...ow." The stallion was visibly in pain and was finding it difficult to just stand. "Whisky can you do me a favor? Take my cousin and Rainbow Dash back to the farm will you? Clover if you could be so kind as to take me to..."

"Like I wasn't planning on taking you to the doc shug. Chin up Top's you'll be good as new in no time." Clover Leaf turned and began walking with Top Notch towards the main boulevard. Apple Jack ran in front of them forcing them to stop. "Ah'm going with you to the doctor Top Notch."

Clover Leaf let out a small giggle While Top Notch simply shook his head in disagreement. "I appreciate it cousin, really I do, but there's no need..." Clover Leaf spoke after Top Notch couldn't continue. "Don't worry honey, he's in good hooves."

Apple Jack was still worried for her cousin but once she saw the smile on Clover's face realized that he really was in good hooves. With a nod of her head and not another word she let the Unicorn continue carrying her cousin. She made her way back to Rainbow Dash and Whisky but before she could tell them what was going on an unfamiliar voice came from behind her.

"Well well well, that was a pretty amusing show I'd say. Talk about getting lucky."

The group of three ponies turned to look where the voice had come from and saw an Earth Pony stallion step out from one of the streets side alleys. Before Apple Jack could ask who the pony was Whisky with a fierce look in his eyes made his way to the stranger. "Thatcher...when did you get here huh?"

"Oh I was here the whole time watching the towns little hero attempt to save your precious water tower."

Whisky's face was now only inches away from Thatcher's. "I'm willing to bet anything that you're the one who put those nests there."

Thatcher mocked offense."I swear what is it with you Whisky? Every single time some unexplained disaster happens to the town you always go and immediately blame me. Tell me what would I gain form the town losing its water supply?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe because its mighty convenient for you? If the town lost its water supply it wouldn't be able to survive the summer and the mayor would be forced to..."

"Sell the town and surrounding land to moi?" Thatcher finished. "Yeah I guess that would be convenient for me. At the moment though all your accusations are just that, accusations. Now if you excuse me I got other things that demand my attention." Thatcher backed up and stepped back into the alley were he had come from.

Whiskey stood in place for a few moments before walking back to Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack. "Come one ladies, lets get back to the farm."


The group of three made their way back to the farm through the scrub land with Apple Jack and Whisky caught up in a conversation while Rainbow Dash remained silent. That is until a nagging voice in the back of her head forced her to speak. "So hey not like I'm worried or anything but Top Notch is gonna alright, right?" The question seemed to come out of nowhere. "No need to worry your pretty little head Rainbow Dash, Top Notch is one tough guy. He'll get through this like he always does, although..."

"Although what?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Top Notch did look pretty hurt, his injury is probably going to slow him down for some time but I'm sure he'll get through it like he always does. Any way it might be best to change the subject, when does your train leave again ladies?"

It was Apple Jack who answered this time. "First thing in the morning tomorrow."

"Well shoot that sucks, I know for a fact that your cousin had a whole list of things he wanted to do with you girls today. Sadly given recent events I don't think that he'll be doing anything that he planned today or for that matter anything he planned for a few weeks." Whisky continued walking undeterred in fulfilling his promise to his buddy of get the girls back to the dairy farm.

Rainbow Dash found that she was frowning "Wow, that actually kinda really does suck. I remember years ago when I injured one of my wings and was forced to stay in the hospital. If it weren't for Daring Do I probably would of lost my bucking mind."

"If ah remember correctly RD you did lose yer bucking mind over that book." Apple Jack let out a little laugh while Whisky just seemed confused. A few seconds passed and Whisky seemed to realize what they were talking about. "Daring Do? Wasn't that a children's novel..." Apple Jack quickly put her hoof to Whisky's mouth. "SHHH! Don't ever talk down about Daring Do in front of Rainbow Dash. Trust me, it won't end pretty."

"What did he say about Daring Do?" Rainbow Dash was now flying above the two Earth ponies with a stare that could turn any living creature to stone. "Nothing! He said nothing about Daring Do, ah swear RD!"

Rainbow Dash looked at them both with a look that it it seem like she was staring into their very souls. "Alright then come on. The farms just over that hill right?"

Both Earth ponies quickly nodded their heads and the group continued on their way towards the farm.


The three ponies waited in Top Notch's living room for what seemed like hours. Aside for a sofa, chair, and portable radio the room was completely barren just like her bedroom. Apple Jack had struck up a conversation with Whisky as Rainbow Dash had chosen to lay down on the sofa.

The day for Rainbow Dash had been interesting. For the first time since Twilight's coronation she had felt adrenaline rush throughout her body, her heart pump blood at an extreme rate, and her thoughts had become a blur. All that had mattered to her while was holding up the water tower was the then and there with the rest of the world fading out of existence. She smiled at herself thinking that it truly had been too long since she had felt like that. She had missed it and more importantly she wanted more of it. There was only one solution to her and she had to make the decision now.

She had drifted off into such deep thought that she hadn't realized that the sun had set and the front door of the farm house had opened. She heard the door close and a few moments later Top Notch stepped into the living room. His upper mid section had been wrapped in a large white bandage but he was still able to move his front legs. "Hey guys, guess who's back and good as new?" Apple Jack and Whisky rushed to greet him but Rainbow Dash simply remained om the sofa still deep in thought.

"Hey there's the local town hero! So what did the doctor say, anything broken?" Whisky gently patted his friend on the back relieved to see that the stallion was okay. Top Notch returned the gesture with what started out as a hoof bump but ended with the stallion wincing in pain. "Doc just shot me up with some morphine, took some tests, gave me some pain killers, wrapped me up and sent me on my way home. Clover Leaf walked me the whole way back but said she couldn't stay."

Now Apple Jack moved to talk. "What ah want to know is if you're okay now. You didn't really answer Whisky's question if anything was broke." Top Notch slowly walked over to Apple Jack and tried to embrace her in hug but gave up on the attempt. "Doc said all I had was a fractured rib, that's it I swear! Although it is going to slow me down for a while I heal and all that." A look of concern appeared on both Apple Jack and Whisky's face with the latter speaking what was on his mind first. "Top Notch, are you going to be able to run this farm by yourself? You know I'd lend a helping hoof and I'm sure that Clover Leaf would too but we can't really leave the restaurant for more than twenty minutes during a weekday."

"Ah would stay and help too Top Notch but m'ah sister and brother need me back home at our farm. Apple Buck season is bout to start and they're going to need m'ah help." Apple Jack took her hat off as a sign of apologizing. The whole room seemed filled with frowns and Top Notch was haven't none of it. "Hey come on, I'm already feeling guilty about not being able to take you girls out for my list of activities. I don't need you two feeling sorry for me, I'm sure I'll figure something out like I always..."

"Well buck it seems like I have a solution that benefits the both us then." Rainbow Dash interrupted suddenly. The rest of the ponies tilted their heads to her as she casually walked over to where they were standing. "And what solution would that be sugar cube?" Rainbow Dash placed Apple Jack in a one hoof hug. "Isn't it obvious AJ? I'll stay here in EverGlade with you cousin and help him out around the farm."

Top Notch and Whisky weren't sure if they heard Rainbow Dash right. "Wait hold up." Whisky started. "You're willing to stay here and help Top Notch on the farm? You know what, I'd say that's incredibly generous of you." Rainbow Dash smiled at the compliment. "I know right? It ain't even my element and I still got it down pretty good. Besides I've been thinking about a change of scenery lately." Apple Jack broke lose from Rainbow Dash and started pushing the Pegasus out of the room. "Would you both excuse us for a minute? Me and Rainbow here need to have a private talk."

Apple Jack finished pushing Rainbow Dash into the hall way and made sure that no pony else was listening. "Okay Rainbow, whats this all about? Ah know that this didn't just come from nothing."

"What, can't a mare who's not Rarity be generous once in a while? I'd though you of all ponies would be thrilled that I would help your cousin out and like I said, I was thinking about a temporary change of scenery."

"Ah see, now this change of scenery wouldn't be to get away from a certain Princess would it?" Apple Jack wanted to strike a nerve with Rainbow Dash to try and get her friend to see reason and she had succeeded, at least with striking a nerve."

Rainbow Dash's eyes darted across the hallway nervously. "Yes? No! I don't know, maybe but look Apple Jack. Something in my heart tells me that this town is where I need to be right now. Ever since we got here I just felt good for some reason but I don't know exactly why."

"There's something else isn't there sugar cube." Apple Jack couldn't believe it but Rainbow Dash was actually beginning to convince her. She just needed to know a little more before she could accept what Rainbow Dash was saying was true.

A heavy sigh escaped Rainbow Dash and she spoke in the calmest voice that Apple Jack had ever heard her speak in. "When I was little blank flank growing up in CloudsDale I used to dream of a far off place where a heroes welcome would be waiting for me. That the ponies there would cheer when they saw my face and some pony would say that that would be where I belonged. That's the main reason why I moved from CloudsDale to PonyVille in the first place, because it felt right to me. When we defeated Nightmare Moon all those years ago and were treated as heroes I felt that finally my dream had come true. But lately back in PonyVille I've started to feel the same way I felt back in CloudsDale. Call me crazy, stupid, reckless, or whatever but I just know that I have to do this."

Apple Jack had heard all that she needed and she quickly wiped away a tear from her eye. She wrapped her hooves around Rainbow Dash and gave her the warmest hug that she could. "If you need anything Rainbow just send a me a letter and ah'll be back here as fast as my hooves will carry me."

"Actually AJ, there are a couple of things that I'm going to need you to do for me when you get back to PonyVille. Some of them aren't really important while others are necessary."