• Published 11th Jun 2013
  • 14,624 Views, 1,349 Comments

A Trusted Friend in Science and Ponies - Rethkir



A sequel to Better Living Through Science and Ponies

  • ...
55
 1,349
 14,624

Chapter 18: A Little Visit


The ponies were, to say the least, shocked to see both Princess Celestia and Twilight Sparkle standing there. Twilight appeared to be in terrible condition. She was disheveled and exhausted, barely able to stand. Celestia had bandages on her wing and chest, as well as various bruises. But most obvious and puzzling of all was Celestia’s mane and tail, which were pink, not shining, and not flowing. The device on the back of her head was small enough for them not to notice it.

“Twilight!” Spike exclaimed as he ran towards the pony whom he had missed more than anything. He hugged her as tightly and as dearly as his little arms could manage. “I missed you so much.”

“Welcome back, Twilight! Welcome back, Princess!” Pinkie Pie shouted jubilantly, throwing confetti in the air. “I made you guys an ‘I’m so glad to see you back safe and sound’ cake!” Pinkie pulled a vanilla cake out of nowhere for the guests to see, which had “I’m so glad to see you back safe and sound” written in pink icing. There was also an icing drawing depicting Twilight and a pink-maned Celestia, with Pinkie Pie between them with her hooves around them.

Twilight felt sick from looking at the baked treat. All cake did now was remind her of how she had helped GLaDOS. “I’m sorry, Pinkie. I’m not really in the mood for cake right now.” Celestia, however, was eying the baked treat fondly.

“Good heavens, what happened to you two?” Rarity asked. “Twilight, you poor thing, you must have been through such a rough time. I am treating you to a full day at the spa ASAP. And, dear Celestia, Celestia, what happened to your mane?”

Rarity tried to approach the two ponies, but before she could, Luna shouted:

“Stay away from her!” The lunar princess pulled Spike away from his hug with her magic. Rarity and the others were unsure of how to react. “Something terrible has happened to my sister.”

“Luna, dear sister, I’m so happy to see you again,” Celestia said sweetly. She slowly walked over towards her younger sister, holding her wings out as if ready give her a hug. “You don’t know how much it means to me just to be able to see you. I was afraid that we would never see each other again.”

Luna stepped back and spread her wings outward defensively. “Stay back!”

Celestia stopped and tilted her head in confusion. “Sister, are you not happy to see me come back okay? Don’t you love me” Celestia asked tearfully. She tried approaching her sister further.

“You are not okay,” Luna hissed. She continued backing away cautiously. “Tell me what happened to your mane,” she demanded. Luna tried to appear assertive, but she could not control a few tears that seeped from her eyes.

“Princess?” Chell asked Luna. “What’s going on here?”

“Care to explain?” Luna relayed to Celestia, giving her one last chance to reveal herself. The ponies could see how upset she was, though they were not exactly sure why.

GLaDOS knew she was playing a fool’s game, so she stopped trying to masquerade.

“You’re good, Princess. Clearly, you’re the smarter sister. It’s probably for the better that you get to live on while she dies of old age.” She mockingly held a hoof to her mouth to cover a devious smile littke.

Luna could no longer hold back her anguish. Her face contorted until she wept uncontrollably.

Though most of the ponies knew what was going on, none of them wanted to admit it to themselves, until Chell finally decided to say it.

“We’ve had enough of your torment!” Chell snapped. “What did you do to Princess Celestia, and why did you come here in her body?”

“Chell, I’m so glad to finally see you again… face to face.”

“What. Did. You do. To her?” Chell repeated.

“Don’t worry about dear little Twilight. She’ll be okay, but I’m afraid she won’t be able to answer any of your burning questions right now. I’m so dreadfully sorry about that,” Celestia said in mock apology.

“You monster!” Spike cried as he ran towards Princess Celestia in a desperate attempt to attack. The white alicorn effortlessly flung the small dragon away with a simple magic spell.

Luna gasped upon seeing her able to use this power. She was horrified that Celestia, despite forfeiting most of her power, still had enough left for GLaDOS to use.

“I asked about Princess Celestia,” Chell reiterated sternly.

“Oh… her?” GLaDOS scoffed. “Why would you possibility care about her? She was too stupid to do make decisions on her own, so now I’m making them for her.”

Wheatley, finally catching on, realized the truth in horror. He slowly tried backing away from her, being surprisingly completely silent. However, this still caught her attention.

The turned her head to face him. “Well, this is quite a pleasant surprise.” She grabbed him with a telekinetic spell, pulling him towards her.

“Ah!” he screamed. “No, no, no, no! Let me go! Let me go! “Let me—”

She cast another spell which overlaid a volume icon over Wheatley that resembled a speaker emitting sound waves, which then disappeared from the icon, and Wheatley was mute. In actuality, the effect was really just for show. The true nature of her spell worked by removing the air from a thin spherical shell of around the target, creating a soundproof vacuum. With the different laws of physics of this world, GLaDOS actually wasn’t sure that it would work.

She chuckled in the same pleasant manner that Princess Celestia would. “I wasn’t actually expecting to see him here, but I’m so glad that I did. Come to think of it, I’d say he would make a pretty fair exchange for little Twilight.”

“Let Wheatley go!” Chell’s shouted. “He’s apologized for what happened. I won’t let your hurt any of my friends,” She held both of her front portal guns towards him and used their miniature gravity guns to grab a hold of him. The force was enough to keep her from falling back down. But Celestia levitated Wheatley higher and shook Chell off halfway across the room. Had it not been for her long fall boots, she would have been hurt.

“So, you’re friends, now?” she asked in confusion. “A little quick to forgiveness, don’t you think? But I am not. Besides, I haven't heard him apologize to me.” Wheatley struggled to move, but was unable to do much against the golden magic that held him in place. “Besides, you don’t even know why I truly hate him, neither does he for that matter. But I assure you that he will deserve everything that I will inflict upon him. So, please give me the benefit of the doubt that my reasons are rather justified, not that you would understand.”

“You have no excuse for this,” Chell said defiantly.

Princess Celestia sighed. “You always assume everything I do is bad. In fact, I came here because I was feeling nice. Though I suppose coming here in the princess’ body does look pretty bad, I assure—”

“WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY SISTER!?” Luna screamed.

Celestia just smiled back. “Only what your sister asked for me to do. I suppose I could tell you the details, but I think it would be best if you heard it from… her mouth. Although not… literally, of course.” She couldn’t help but giggle a little bit.

Celestia used her magic to deactivate the spell which powered Wheatley’s rotor, causing him to crash to the ground. Then, she briefly convulsed and fell down. She gasped for breath and looked around at her surroundings. Her eyes immediately watered. She just lay on the floor as she was.

“Luna, I’m so sorry. I never meant to hurt you.”

Somehow, Luna knew that this was in fact her sister speaking, and not a trick played by GLaDOS.

“Tia, what are you saying? You… let her do this to you?”

She nodded sorrowfully. “I’m sorry, Luna, it was the only way. I couldn’t let her do this to Twilight. I’m taking Twilight’s place so that she can go back home. Please forgive me.” As much as she wanted to, she wasn’t willing to let GLaDOS know the atrocities she saw GLadOS commit in her vision of the future. The full truth was that this was her only chance to convince GLaDOS to spare the lives of her subjects.

Luna had no idea how to react. “You let her take away your immortality? Did you not think about how this would affect me? How could you do this to me? WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WHEN YOU DIE?”

The room was silent. Luna could no longer speak, or even look her sister in the eye, for that matter. She grieved, thinking of the inevitable loss of the closest pony in her life.

Celestia didn’t know what to say back.

“You’d never do this to me!” Luna sniffled, still looking away.

“I’m so sorry, sister. I can never ask you to forgive me, but I want you to know that you—”

Celestia convulsed again briefly, eyes forced shut. Then she calmed down and opened her eyes. She stood back up off the floor.

“… Really don’t mean that much to me. I sacrificed my life because I care about Twilight more than you. Says a lot about how meaningless you are to me, doesn’t it?” Celestia snickered coldly in a whiny imitation. She picked Wheatley back up again.

“You heartless fiend! You didn’t even let her finish!” Luna scolded.

“I’m not really the type for emotional moments. Besides, she isn’t even sorry, anyway. If she were, she would have considered how telling me how to take away her immortality would have impacted you, or all of Equestria for that matter. She was just interested making up for how bad she felt for failing to stop me. It’s a really funny story, actually. You know, I actually think she loves you less than when she sent you to the moon.”

“You lie,” Luna stated. “Everything you say is a lie. I trust my sister with all my heart, so I know that whatever reason she truly had, it was a good reason. I will not let you hurt her or anypony ever again.” Luna prepared a powerful magical spell, which summoned darkness in the room. The swirling energy gathered around her horn.

“Wait!” Celestia shouted. Luna kept her spell charged, but did not act. “Before you do that, let me explain why that would… not be in your best interest.”

Luna placed her spell on standby, waiting for the pony that took her sister’s form to speak.

Celestia turned her head to the side, letting all the ponies see the device on the back If her skull that was controlling her body. “Within this little device are multiple redundant dead pony switches: the mechanics of which will remain a secret. If this unit were to fail or be incapacitated in any way, or at my command, Princess Celestia dies in one or more of several rather painful ways. As for me, your sister found out the hard way that I have a tendency to… not die. That is to say, I make backups of myself and upload my memories to that backup in case anything were to ever happen. You don’t think I’d be stupid enough to come all the way here at a risk of being permanently disabled, do you?

“So think very carefully about what you’re going to do. Do you really want to risk losing what precious little time you have left with her? I suppose it would delay me a bit, but I’ve ensured that I will always know Twilight’s location, no matter where she is, and she’s still fully capable of serving her intended role. And it’s only a matter of time before my own body is fully functional again, so you’ll just draw this whole thing out even more, which is something that nobody wants. So, it’s your choice, really.”

Princess Luna huffed in frustration. Angrily, she dissipated her magic spell in a quick, outward puff.

“That’s a good little princess. And you know, I honestly don’t care what you think about your stupid sister, because that’s not even why I’m here. I’m simply making good on my non-obligatory to promise to to her that I would return Twilight home in exchange of such a generous gift from her. I’m doing this out of what little kindness I have. I’m only trying to be far.” She levitated Twilight forward into the room and placed her down in the center. “So, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be leaving with that cake now.”

She then levitated Pinkie Pie’s cake out of her grip, causing her to shout: “Hey, I worked hard on that cake for Celestia and Twilight! Not for meanie heads like you, BLaDOS! No cake for you!” She flailed her forelegs wildly in the air.

“Celestia will be eating this cake, you idiot. And if I know her, she will be enjoying it just as much as me. But don’t you think I deserve some cake as well? I’m trying to be nice, I really am. I brought Twilight back home safely just because I think she’ll be happier here. I didn’t really have to do this, unless you’d rather I take her back.” She snickered. “Hm hm… And I can assure you that Twilight won’t be wanting any cake, anyway. So, it’s a win-win. Besides, my cakes are better.”

“You still haven’t apologized for whatcha did to Fluttershy,” Applejack defied, “and it ain’t very kind of you to be using Princess Celestia like that. That don’t sound cakeworthy in my book.”

“I’m not here to make amends. I’m just holding my end of deal, which was optional, may I remind you. And I’m only using Celestia’s body because she broke the one I already had. So, if you think about it, this is just her paying me back.”

“Hold up, didj’yall just tell us that you’re body’s broken?” Applejack pointed out.

“Whoops. Never mind I said that,” Celestia said rather calmly, as if she didn’t even care.

“You aren’t getting away with this, GLaDOS! We’re gonna stop you, right here, right now,” shouted Rainbow Dash, hitting her hooves together in a threatening manner. “... Or you’re gonna taste the PAINBOW!”

Princess Celestia rolled her eyes. She wasn’t the only one.

“And how do you suppose you’re gonna do that? You gonna ‘wup my flank,’ or rather, Celestia’s? That would be very effective, at hurting her. What a simple, simple mind you have, Rainbow Crash. Now, I really have better things to do than to be throwing petty insults at you ponies. There will be plenty of time for that later. We’ll have the rest of your lives for that. Right now, I have a plan to enact.”

She paced around the room playfully, getting uncomfortably close to each pony as she did so. “Let me give you a little hint of what I’m doing: it involves creating a gateway to an alternate universe. It’s gonna bring forth something really nasty into this world, which will give me everything I need to rebuild Aperture Science in all its technological glory. I’ve already built the machine that will create the portal, I’ve already found a power source,” she tapped on her horn, “and I’ve figured out the calibrations to make everything work. Now, all I need to do make the proper adjustments... and hit the switch.”

She faced Chell. “So if you really want to stop me, then we’ll have to do this the old-fashioned way, in my lair, just before I hit the switch. You still have just enough time if you hurry fast enough. I look forward to seeing you there, Chell.”

“Why are you even telling us all this?” Chell asked. She thought about how just GLaDOS casually revealed that her body was under repair a minute prior. “I know you’re hiding something. There is no way you would let us know how weak you are.”

“Hm… you do raise a valid point, but come on, when have I ever made sense?” Celestia paused for a moment, as if she was listening to something.

“She didn’t ask you. Just shut up. Shut up!”

“What?” Chell asked in confusion.

“No, that’s not true. You don’t know me!” Celestia slammed Wheatley into her head as hard as she could. The core rolled in place as if in pain, but it was impossible to hear anything from him. She backed away, pulling the levitating cake and core with her.

“I told you to shut up, you stupid horse! Why the hell am I even listening to you again?”

“Celestia?” Twilight croaked quietly to the princess herself, despite her exhaustion. “What are you telling her?”

“That wasn’t the answer I asked for!” GLaDOS shouted madly. When I don’t need you anymore, you will receive a very slow and painful death, you understand? And I’ll make your sister watch!”

Luna had already cried out all her tears. The threat against her sister felt like a kick to the ribs as she already lay helplessly on the ground.

Celestia levitated a dull letter opener nearby and forced it against the side of her right temple. Then she moved Wheatley in position, ready to use the metallic sphere as a hammer.

“Please, don’t hurt her!” Luna begged.

“I don’t care if I can feel it!” Celestia shouted to herself. “Anything is better than having to listen to you.” She waited for a moment, and then swung the core hard against the handle, driving the dull blade through her skin. It wasn’t sharp enough to break through her skull, but the sting was blunt and powerful, and it hurt like hell. She dropped the blade to the floor, but held onto Wheatley and the cake

Celestia erupted in painful, uncontrollable laughter. There was blood dripping from the side of her head. She got a kick out of seeing the utter horror on everypony’s faces. Once she calmed down, she turned her attention back to the ponies in the room, specifically Chell.

“I’m sorry about that. I thought I disabled my ability to scan her thoughts, but apparently, I still am. There must have been some malfunction with my active neurologic scanner. But as I was saying, you only have so much time before Equestria as you know it will end, so you might want to hurry up. I’d say you have about… two hours before I’m ready. I think you know where to find me. Don’t get lost, and don’t… be late.”

Before anypony could respond, both she, Wheatley, and the cake disappeared in white flash of light.


“Hey, she stole my cake!” Pinkie shouted, shaking a hoof at where Princess Celestia was standing.

“Who cares about the cake!?” Chell shouted angrily. “Didn’t you just see her take Wheatley? She just thinks she can do whatever she wants with my friends. What the hell does she even need him for, anyway?”

“Aw, I miss Idsy,” Pinkie sighed.

“Sounded like it was personal,” Applejack said. “I mean, she’s the grudge-holdin’ type, right? Didn’t you say he took her body before?”

“Hey, we have more important stuff to be worrying about right now,” Ditzy interjected, “like GLaDOS doing that… inter-mentional… thing she was talking about. What are we going to do about that?”

Twilight found herself feeling faint, and she could no longer stand. She collapsed from exhaustion, but Rainbow Dash was quick to swoop down to catch her before she hit the ground.

“Thanks, Rainbow,” she whispered. “Just lay me down. I’ll be fine.”

“What did that monster do to you, Twilight?” Rarity asked.

“Are you gonna be okay?” Spike asked. He ran by Twilight’s side and put a claw on her forehead.

“Yes, I’m fine,” she whispered.

“Twilight, I know you’re not feeling well, but is there any chance you could tell us anything that would help us,” Rainbow Dash asked hesitantly.

Twilight only looked back. She tried to say something, but looked as if she was in pain. “I can’t… just don’t… worry about me. I can’t…” Twilight could say no more and gave up trying.

“You see what she did to her?” Applejack protested. “How can we stand around while this happens to Twilight? She has no concern for anypony. We can’t let this go on no more! We gotta stop her before she hurts anypony else.”

“Yeah, she’s done some really nasty stuff before, but this just takes the cake!” Pinkie exclaimed while slamming her front hoof down on the living room coffee table. She was met with a few awkward glances

“What?” Pinkie defended. “I was talking about the whole ‘hurting Twilight, turning the princess into a cyborg, and taking over Equestria’ thing.”

Princess Luna slowly walked towards the center of the room and paced around. “My sister’s magic is far weaker than it was before, but she is still capable of performing some advanced spells. Her knowledge of magic is vast, but with most of her power gone, GLaDOS can surely now be able to see inside her mind and obtain this knowledge. She may be weak, relatively speaking, but she is not to be underestimated. Undoubtedly, just as Chell suspects, there is something in her plan that she hasn’t told us about, so we must proceed with caution. But failing to act is not an option.”

Chell held a portal gun in front of her. “I’m ready to stop her. Just say the word, and I’m there.”

“I’m afraid you will not be able to face her alone, even with the help of your friends. Only my magic will be able to stand against hers. But although I am more powerful than her at the moment, she has wit and cunning, and most likely, tricks that we do not know of. Worst of all, she has my sister as a hostage. I’m afraid that we cannot afford to let her use that against us, so I am prepared to…” she sighed, “make the necessary decision… if it comes down to that.”

“Wait, you’re not saying you’d actually…” Rarity began. She tried imagining if she could let go of her Sweetie Belle if she were in that situation. The thought sickened her. Applejack, as well, had trouble imagining herself making the same decision if it had been Apple Bloom in that place.

Luna nodded slowly. “I cannot fathom the pain my sister endured when she was forced to banish me to the moon, but she did so to save Equestria from eternal darkness. I know that she made the right decision. Now that I am the one faced with this impossible choice,” she took a long, deep breath, “she would not want me to place her life over the fate of her kingdom.”

“I can’t imagine how difficult that would be,” Ditzy consoled.

Luna huffed. “Talking about this anymore is not going to get us any closer to stopping her. Now, we must plan how we will do it.”

“This isn’t going to be easy, but, what other choice do we have but to make our stand?” Chell said.

“Didn’t she seem a little… off to you?” Applejack mentioned. “I mean, other than that whole crazy freakout at the end there. Like, why was she telling us about what everything she’s gonna do? Only overconfident idiots do that. And why they hay does she want us to go all the way up to her lair way on top of some mountain to just to face her? Doesn’t that just seem just a might... cliché?”

“Indeed, something doesn’t add up about this, “Princess Luna pondered aloud, “but I can’t figure out what it is. Her behavior seemed to contradict itself. I almost felt as if she wanted us to stop her.”

“Whaaaat?” Rainbow exclaimed obnoxiously.

“I think there’s more to her than her desire to do harm, and I think that is what my sister sees, “Luna explained. “As terrifying as it was to see Tia’s body hurting herself, I think that I now understand the reason she did what she did.” Luna thought for moment as she continued her pacing. “She wasn’t trying to drive GLaDOS insane. Although it’s something that she is can be quite good at, I don’t think my sister was intending to make GLaDOS do that.”

“So, what do you think she was doing?” Ditzy asked.

“I think my sister was trying to help her.” A few of the ponies looked at her awkwardly. “What I mean is,” Luna quickly corrected, “she is trying to help GLaDOS realize that she doesn’t need to go down her current path. I know Tia. She loves all ponies, even her enemies. By putting herself in the position that she’s in, she can better gain GLaDOS’s trust so that she will be able to change her heart. My sister has a gift to see the light of good in all ponies, no matter how hard of heart, even if it’s someone such as GLaDOS.” Her tone became heavier. “But this is also her weakness. I suspect that her compassion is what led to her defeat.”

“Well, I’m not as willing to see whatever ‘light’ GLaDOS has in her,” Chell said. “I tried that once. I trusted her a long time ago as if she were my closest a friend. It was only after I found happiness that she showed me that she was nothing more than the monster I always thought she was.” Chell felt some pain inside as a deep seeded anger boiled up. She thought about when she found GLaDOS as a potato being consumed by a bird. Had she known what she would do in Equestria, she would have left just her there, or perhaps crushed her in her hand.

“I… hate her. You know I did not start a new life here to let her destroy it. That’s why I am going to stop her. Who’s coming with me?”

There was a groaning from low on the floor, from Twilight. “Uhhhh… you… she wasn’t able to finish what she was trying to say.

“I’m in!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash from where she was at by Twilight Sparkle. She hushed the tone of her voice upon realizing the pain of her nearby friend. “But somepony’s gotta stay here and watch over Twilight. She doesn’t look very good right now.”

“Donnn…” Twilight whispered.

“Oh, Twilight,” Rarity interjected, “would you feel better if I took you down to the spa like I promised I would? You must be overwhelmed with stress from being in that nasty place for so long. But I know that Aloe and Lotus will fix you right up.”

“Thank you... but... you really don’t have to—”

“And you must be super hungry,” said Pinkie Pie. “You can’t go to the spa on an empty stomach. How about I treat you to anything you want from Sugarcube Corner first? Then I’ll do whatever I can to cheer you back up!”

Pinkie put both her front hooves in the air holding crudely made stick puppets. On her right hoof were puppets of herself, Twilight, Chell, Ditzy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy, and on the left was a ridiculous depiction of what she thought GLaDOS looked like as a mechanical alicorn.

“Rrar! I’m evil, and I’m gonna take over the world!” Pinkie voiced in a bad falsetto impression while shaking GLaDOS’s puppet.

“Never! We’re gonna stop you because you’re evil!” she voiced as she shook the hoof with her friends. “Super pony rainbow attack!” She brought her right hoof over to her other one and knocked the GLaDOS puppet down. “Aaaahhhh!” She made GLaDOS scream as the puppet fell off her hoof.

Despite Twilight’s less than cheerful mood, she couldn’t help but crack a smile and let out a little chuckle at Pinkie’s silly show. She wept out of happiness for her friends’ regard for her and nodded slowly. “I’d… like that very much, both of you. It really means a lot to me for you girls to go out of your way to cheer me up, but…” Twilight’s smile disappeared “... I really don’t deserve it, not after what I… helped her do. You girls have more important things to deal with. I should go with you guys to face her.”

“You ain’t in a position to go anywhere,” Applejack spoke. “Let somepony take care of you for buck’s sake. I know I would, but I think Rarity and Pinkie Pie will do the job just fine, that is, if they’d rather stay here. So, I guess I’m goin’.”

“Besides,” Rainbow Dash added, “it’s not like any of this is your fault. There is nothing that you could ever do that would make us care any less about you. We’re just glad that you’re back.”

“But… I don’t want to be a bother…” Twilight protested.

“Nonsense, Twilight,” Rarity assured. “I’m sure Princess Celestia wanted you back here for a reason. Besides, I think I’ll be better suited here with you than going up against that wretched beast. I can’t even stand to be in the same room as that vile monstrosity.”

“My sister sacrificed a lot to let you go back home,” said Luna. “She would want for you to make the best of it.”

“Twilight,” said Chell, “When I face GLaDOS, I’ll be better off knowing that you’re safe.” The other ponies nodded. “Please, stay here.”

“Okay, guys. If it will make you feel better, I’ll stay,” Twilight sighed.

“So Rainbow and Applejack are coming with me… as well as you, right, Luna?” Luna nodded in response. “Rarity and Pinkie are staying here with Twilight, correct?”

“Twilight’s gonna need some super-duper cheering up, and who better to do that than her bestest friend, Pinkie? I’m gonna give her the best puppet show ever.”

There was only one pony unaccounted for. “And what about you, Ditzy?”

Both of the gray mare’s unfocused eyes looked away in their own separate directions.

“Um... I don’t really think I would be much help if I came with you. I don’t know what I’d be able to do. I’m not exactly the most coordinated pony.” She pointed to her eyes. “But I promise I’ll do my best to make Twilight feel better.”

“That’s okay, Ditzy. I understand. ”

“I really want to go with you…” Ditzy defended. “It’s just that… I don’t think I’ll be much help. I don’t know what I could even do.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’m not entirely sure what I’ll be able to do either,” Chell admitted, “but that hasn’t stopped me before. You don’t have to go with me. Twilight needs you more than I do. Just do what you can here.”

Ditzy nodded.

“Time is of the essence,” Luna stated. “We should go.”


Chell opened the front door, beckoning the others to follow her. They all stepped outside, gathered in front of her home. She placed a portal on the wall of the post office, then aimed at the roof of town hall, placing the opposite end of the portal there.

“Just give me a minute,” she said before going through. She was gone for no more than thirty seconds before coming back. “Stand back,” she warned, aiming at the wall. She waited for the other ponies to comply before placing another portal on the wall. What opened beyond was a swirling blizzard. The lower pressure from the high-altitude air created a strong wind that blew into the portal.

“Let me just make sure it’s safe before any of you go through.”

“Hold on a sec,” Rainbow Dash objected. “Why don’t I go through first? That way, I can scout and let you know if I find a good spot.”

“Wait, do you think that’s a…” but before Chell could finish, Dash had already raced through the portal, propelled by the wind. She shot out the other end like a bullet before getting blown around by the violent gusts around the mountain.

Chell carefully moved herself closer to the portal, careful to not let the wind pull her through. But the force was too strong for her to safely get close. “Could somepony hold me back?” The voice of the gem was powerful enough to fight its way across the oncoming wind.

“Darn it!” Applejack cursed. “If only I had my…” she then noticed that Pinkie Pie, who was standing to her right, was holding a rope in her mouth. “I ain’t even gonna ask how you did that, but thanks a million, Pinkie.” Applejack grabbed the rope with her hooves and tied it into a lasso. She swung it with her mouth and threw it around Chell’s body.

As Chell moved closer to the portal, Applejack secured the rope with her teeth, her hooves planted firmly in the ground. Finally, Chell made it to the edge. She looked through the oval hole and out across the picturesque landscape below the mountain. She couldn’t see where Rainbow Dash had gone.

A little closer,” her voice echoed.

Applejack took a few baby steps forward until Chell was at the edge. She looked around. Before not long, she saw Rainbow Dash hovering out ahead pointing downwards. Chell looked down and saw a flat area on the ground thousands of feet down where she could safely put a portal. Moreover, the area was in close proximity to the mountain and looked like a good place to group.

She leaned into the portal, held back only by Applejack’s lasso, and made a portal on the ground below. Rainbow Dash descended towards the ground. “Okay, pull me back,” Chell said, to which Applejack complied.

Chell made another portal adjacent to the one already on the wall. Beyond that was a view of the mountain sky. She could see the descending silhouette of the blue pegasus from underneath some distance through the portal, but unexpectedly, Rainbow Dash suddenly flew somewhere else and out of sight.

With the confirmation that the second portal led to where it was intended to go, Chell closed the original one that led to high on the mountain, and the wind stopped.

“Luna, Dash isn’t flying towards the portal,” Chell said. “I’m not sure what she’s doing, but could you go and get her?”

Princess Luna nodded and stuck her head through the portal. Her large body made it a little difficult to enter a portal compared to most ponies, but she could manage. However, nothing could prepare her for the sudden change in the direction of gravity as forward became up when she stuck her head through. Instead of just walking in, she had to climb out from the other end. When she was on the other side, she flew up to meet Rainbow Dash.

“AJ, are you coming? If you want, this is your last chance to back out,” Chell said.

Applejack shook her head. “I honestly don’t want to even have to ever look at her again, but I promise I’ll do whatever I can to stop her. So here goes nothing!”

Applejack closed her eyes and charged into the portal, having enough momentum to clear the way through the shifted gravity and land on the ground on the other end. Just as Chell was about to step through, Rarity tapped on her shoulder.

“I’m coming too!” Rarity suddenly insisted. She had a determined look on her face.

“Are you sure?” Chell asked. “What about Twilight?”

Rarity nodded. “I… I just can’t stand by while you girls face her without me. I’m sorry Twilight, I know I said—”

“Rarity, go,” a weak Twilight interrupted from the background. “Trust me, I’ll be fine.”

Rarity looked back to Twilight.

“Are you sure, darling?” Rarity asked.

Twilight smiled and weakly waved to her.

“Don’t worry, Rarity!” Pinkie Pie chirped, “Ditzy and I will take good care of her!”

“Pinkie Pie, take Twilight to the spa. Just tell them to send me the bill. They won’t give you any trouble.”

Pinkie smiled. “Will do!”

Rarity took a deep breath and jumped through the portal just as Applejack had done. Chell followed shortly after.

Pinkie Pie then bounced in, but when she came up through the hole in the ground on the other side, she hit herself on the forehead as her jump peaked.

“Oh, right! I’m staying behind.” She made a snorting giggle as gravity pulled her back down through to the other side.

Chell looked back at her remaining friends in Ponyville through the opening on the ground and gave a solemn wave goodbye.


Chell, Applejack, and Rarity all took a moment to take in their surroundings. The jagged monolith that was the mountain stood before them, casting a foreboding shadow over the entire area.

“Boy howdy,” Applejack said apprehensively.

“You’re telling me, Applejack,” Rarity replied with the same tone.

Chell stood frozen, riddled with fear and doubt, oblivious to Princess Luna and Rainbow Dash landing on the ground. It took Applejack poking Chell’s shoulder to get her to notice the return of the two winged ponies.

“I found her,” Luna said, motioning to a sheepish Rainbow Dash.

“Sorry about that,” Rainbow Dash responded bashfully, rubbing a hoof behind her head. “I saw the portal, but then I kinda got distracted.” She laughed unsurely.

“By what?” Chell asked curiously.

“Well, I saw a tunnel close to the top,” Rainbow began, “I was about to try and go through it, but that’s when Luna found me.”

“It was a good thing she didn’t go through that way. Upon further inspection, the hole had been blocked by a grid of lasers, as well as some type of force field. Had she attempted to fly through, she would have been killed.”

“So, then how are we supposed to get in then?” Applejack inquired.

“The Diamond Dogs have inhabited this mountain range for many years,” Luna explained. “If they are working with her, then I presume that they excavated a labyrinth of tunnels for her to use to conduct her operations. But their mines would have originated here by the base of the mountain. There should be some entrances to those tunnels in this area.”

Chell took a quick breath. “There’s gotta be a way in somewhere at the base of this mountain.” We’ll go counterclockwise around the mountain. “Rainbow Dash, fly high and look all over the mountain for a way in. Luna, fly lower, and look closer to the ground. The last thing we need is to lose sight of each other. Princess Luna and I will go to the right. If one of us finds a way in, we’ll let you know, then we’ll circle around and meet on the other side.”

Rainbow Dash raised her hoof. “Is that the best idea you have? How will we even know if the tunnels will go to the right place?”

“Do you have any better ideas?” Chell responded, exacerbated. “Would you have rather have been killed going in the way you almost went through?”

Rainbow Dash didn’t respond.

“Let’s go. We don’t have time to waste.” Chell barked.

With that, the two groups split and embarked for their designated directions.


Chell, Applejack, and Rarity walked briskly along the circumference of the mountain as Princess Luna and Rainbow Dash soared overhead, scanning the area for a way in. The sun was high in the sky, though the blizzard up near the mountain peak blocked much if the light from coming through. The area was cold, barren, and desolate.

“Why is it even snowing here when it’s the middle of summer?” Chell’s voice resonated loudly enough for Luna to hear overhead. She descended a little lower to speak without having to use her infamous Royal Canterlot Voice.

“Many ages ago, long before my banishment to the moon, a dark evil resided within this mountain, casting it into eternal winter. Although the source of the dark magic perished ages ago, some ponies believed that it had left a curse on the mountain that lingered ever after. It is said that in the presence of evil, winter would follow on the mountain.”

“HEY GUYS! I THINK I FOUND AN ENTRANCE!” Rainbow Dash yelled from about a hundred yards away. She waved her arms around to get their attention, then she flew to a spot on a ledge relatively low on the mountain, but still difficult to get up to for anypony who couldn’t fly. Princess Luna soared towards where Rainbow Dash was waiting.

Chell created a portal just above the ledge, and then one on the ground nearby. She beckoned Rarity and Applejack to follow her through before jumping in.


On the ledge, the ponies looked at a large pile of rocks only half-hiding a dark tunnel behind it. Chell used her portal guns to levitate some rocks rocks and tossed them aside

Princess Luna used her magic to help. Rarity tried as well, but she wasn’t able to lift anything too large. When all the rocks had been cleared away from the now passable entrance. Chell apprehensively approached the gaping hole in the mountain and took a deep breath.

“Are you all ready?” she asked the party.

All of them nodded simultaneously, except for Rainbow Dash.

“Are you sure this is the right way?” the blue mare asked.

Princess Luna closed her eyes and focused her magical energy. She could feel GLaDOS’s presence through the tunnel.

“Yes, this way connects to GLaDOS’s lair. We just have to work out way up to the top,” Luna announced. Her horn glowed a gentle, shimmering light, illuminating some of the darkness ahead. Rarity illuminated her horn as well.

Chell took a deep breath. “Well, here goes nothing,”

Slowly, the small group of ponies entered the deep, dark tunnel. The sounds of their hoofsteps grew faint as they disappeared into the mountain.

Author's Note:

ATTENTION: If for some reason, you have not read my message in the story description and have not re-read the last several chapters, please stop and do so before coming back here. (Start at Chapter 14.) I have spent the last several weeks going over and fixing the problems that you all have pointed out. I already summarized the changes that I made here. I was very hesitant to go back and make changes, but I wasn't left with much of a choice if I wanted this story to be something truly worth reading from start to finish. Anyway, I hope it was worth it. You will have to let me know if you felt it was.

I really wanted to post this along with Chapters 19 & 20, but I figure that I should at least post one chapter so that you'll all be notified that the story has been updated, and this will give you some time to re-read the chapters that I've revised before I post more. I try not to take long to update, but I felt that fixing the last few chapters was more important than writing new ones. But that's all behind me now. :yay: Now, I move forward. The next 2 chapters should come out relatively smoothly. As of this posting, Chapter 19 is about halfway complete, and it will flow right into Chapter 20. I have also been planning the events of the story after Chapter 20 story more thoroughly. As I write new material, I've been feeling a reinvigorated passion for my work that I haven quite felt for several months. Hopefully, you'll all feel the same way reading it. I have put a lot of dedication into this story. It is probably the thing that I am most passionate about.

Thank you all for sticking with me. :heart: It hasn't been easy, but I'm in this 'till it's done.