• Published 21st Jul 2013
  • 2,519 Views, 153 Comments

Derpy: Overcoming Trials - vincent5000x



Summer is over and its time for Derpy to finish her final year of school. But she never realized just how hard it would be with Dinky in her life.

  • ...
2
 153
 2,519

Chapter 9: "Its Okay"

(9_6)

“Remember, five feet,” Derpy retold Shooting Star. “Just because I’m letting you do this, doesn't mean I trust you.”

“I… I promise,” Shooting Star stuttered as she looked at the daycare with a slightly hopeful look.

“Okay then,” Derpy replied as she turned to enter the daycare. I’ll be back out in a minute.”

“We’ll be right here,” Carrot Top called after her.

(o^o)

“Why can't I eat this?” Dinky stared down at the colourful play dough in front of her with mild confusion. It was colourful and soft, yet she had already been told several times, not only by Miss Lemonway, but by Lily as well, that she wasn't supposed to eat it.

“But it looks really tasty.” Dinky quickly looked around to make sure nopony was watching her. While she wasn't looking directly behind her, she was happy to see nopony in her sight. So, she quickly scooped up the red coloured play dough, preparing to take a big bite out of it.

“Trust me, Muffin, it doesn't taste good,” Derpy’s voice chuckled as the red substance was taken from her by a gray wing.

“Awww.” Dinky sagged slightly when the play dough was taken from her once again, but quickly brightened up when her mother scooped her up and gave her a warm hug.

“Did you have a good day?” Derpy asked as she nuzzled Dinky affectionately. Dinky simply giggled in response, happy that it was time to go home with the pony she loved the most.

Soon enough, both of them were outside of the day-care, and like most other times, Carrot Top was waiting for them. But what caught Dinky off guard the most was the other pony standing next to the light orange mare.

“Hey, Dinky!” Carrot Top said as she scooped Dinky off her mothers back, nuzzling her as well. But even then, Dinky continued to star at the other pony, feeling like she had seen her before.

A few moments later, Dinky remembered seeing that pony the other day when her mother was yelling and angry.

“Dinky, this is, Shooting Star, do you remember her? Derpy asked drawing the foals attention. Almost immediately, Dinky began to worry that her mother would start to yell again.

(9_6)

“Maybe this was a bad idea…” Shooting Star sighed as everypony noticed Dinky start to stare at her and Derpy with a slightly worried look.

“Its okay, muffin,” Derpy said as she caught the filly’s full attention. “I’m not going to yell or get angry at her. She just wants to say something.”

Instantly, the worried look on Dinky’s face was replaced with a smile and a giggle.

“How did you know that’s what she was worried about?” Shooting Star asked, catching herself before she could take an instinctive step forward.

“What you should be wondering is what you're going to say,” Derpy replied with a slight smile. “And I know because I’m her mom.”

“Uh, right,” Shooting Star mumbled before falling silent for a moment. Before she spoke again, she took a deep breath and gave Dinky a small smile. “Hi there Dinky.”

Dinky simply stared back at Shooting Star, a slightly confused look on her face.

“You probably don't remember me,” Shooting Star continued. “Well, you probably do remember me from the other day. But that’s not what I’m talking about.”

Shooting Star fell silent for a moment, then she looked at Derpy. “She can understand me, right?”

“Yes, she’s very smart for her age,” Derpy replied with a smile, nuzzling the top of Dinky’s head affectionately.

“Right,” Shooting Star said as she looked back at Dinky. “Dinky, I want to apologize for something I did. I put you and your mom in danger… and I regret it every day.”

Shooting Star began to lightly sob before she continued, “I am so sorry for scaring and hurting you. My anger clouded my mind and I let the monster that hurt you, hurt you even more.”

“I… just want you to know, even if you don't remember it, that I’m sorry for hurting you,” Shooting Star finished as she took another step back, wiping tears from her eyes.

(o^o)

“What is she talking about?” Dinky stared at Shooting Star, confused as to why she was crying. Her mother wasn't yelling at her, so she shouldn't be crying. But she still seemed really sad.

“It’s okay.” Dinky tried to reach out to the other mare, but her mother only pulled her in tighter. Which only served to confuse Dinky even more, but the action itself did seem to make Shooting Star happier, and that’s all Dinky wanted.

(9_6)

“I guess, she accepts your apology,” Derpy sighed, only to chuckle as she nuzzled Dinky once again.

“Yay, happiness and joy for everypony!” Carrot Top almost sang as she patted Shooting Star on her shoulder. Receiving a small smile in return.

“So, now what?” Derpy asked, giving Shooting Star a questioning eye.

“Wherever you go, I go,” Carrot Top replied as she walked over and took Dinky from Derpy, nuzzling her in the process.

“And you?” Derpy asked as she looked towards Shooting Star.

“Well… I gotta head home, you know, before my parents start to worry,” Shooting Star sighed with a forced smile.

“Alright then,” Derpy lazily replied with a wave of her hoof.

“Aww… and here I thought we could all hang out and tell embarrassing stories about, Derpy,” Carrot Top chuckled.

“Tell me again, why are you friends with her?” Shooting Star asked as she directed her attention at Derpy.

“Because friendship is carrots…” Derpy grumbled as she took Dinky back from her friend.

“Yep,” Carrot top replied with a big toothy grin.

“Alright then,” Shooting Star sighed, turning to leave. “Bye everypony, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“I guess so,” Derpy replied as she and Carrot Top turned and left.

By the time Derpy got back home, Carrot Top had already parted ways with the pair and the sun was sinking past the tallest building. Once she reached the door, Derpy couldn't help but chuckle as she found it unlocked, signifying that her father was home.

“So, how did everything go?” Derpy’s father asked as she and Dinky walked into the house. “Do I have to arrest somepony, or should I set another plate at the table?”

“For now, let’s just say that there won’t be so much yelling,” Derpy replied as she entered the living room, a slight smile on her face. “Besides, I wouldn't even let my enemies suffer through your cooking.”

“Really, Derpy?” her father replied as he came into view. Like most of the time, he was fully dressed in his uniform and smelled of a fresh shower.

“You sure do work a lot,” Derpy sighed as she placed Dinky down on the couch.

“Yeah well, I took a few extra shifts,” Derpy’s father sheepishly replied. “Besides, I got next Friday off for Rod’s poker game.”

“You aren't playing with real bits this time, are you?” Derpy asked with a accusing glare towards her father.

“I was…” he coughed sheepishly.

“And when you lose… again?” Derpy continued, raising a brow.

“Ah, but I won’t lose this time,” the stallion replied with a smile, moving closer to the pair. “This time, I’ll have a secret weapon.”

“And what would that be?” Derpy asked, not liking the look in her father’s eye.

“I call it a “Cute bomb“,” he chuckled, grabbing Dinky in his front hooves before Derpy could stop him. “When they see this face, everypony else will fall to our combined might and I can finally rub a few wins in Gold…”

“You’re not taking, Dinky to a poker game!” Derpy interrupted, snatching her giggling daughter back from her father.

“I’m not bringing her to a poker game mater-of-factly,” her father replied, although he had a slight sheepish look. “I was merely bringing her to meet an elderly couple who are friends and have been asking to see her for quite some time.

“Would you look at that, muffin? Grandpa’s already planning to use you for his own nefarious needs,” Derpy said to Dinky, getting a small giggle in reply.

“Your damn right,” Derpy’s father said, pulling both Derpy and Dinky into a one armed hug, his other hoof slowly gliding through the air in front of them. “Can’t you see it, Derpy? I see world domination in our future.”

“I also see a trip to the mental ward…” Derpy sighed.

* * *

“So… now she’s going to start hanging out with us?” Dilvent questioned as he looked toward Shooting Star, looking slightly confused. “I mean, yeah its good to know your not mad…”

“Oh, I’m still very mad,” Derpy replied with a forced smile. “But I might as well give her a chance, right?”

“Right!” Shooting Star quickly replied, pulling Derpy into a hug. “So what’s today’s plan?”

“School,” Derpy replied as she pushed the mare off.

“Okay,” Shooting Star replied as she slid up close next to Dilvent, looking up at the stallion with a slight grin. “What about after school?”

“I have work,” Dilvent nervously chuckled as he hopped his chair several inches away, causing Shooting Star’s grin to fade as she looked at the other three.

“Me and Derpy already have plans,” Carrot Top replied blandly while keeping her eyes locked on the wall clock.

“And I got a student council meeting…” Minerva said, looking at Shooting Star a little worriedly. “Why?”

“Because, I thought we could hang out,” Shooting Star began, her grin returning as she moved closer to Dilvent once again. “I know all the cool hang out spots.”

“Yeah, their all the places we don’t go,” Dilvent replied, pushing Shooting Star away.

With a slightly insulted look, Shooting Star opened her mouth to reply, only to fall silent as the bell rang.

“Would you look at that,” Carrot Top began, leading the charge out of the room. “Its time to get to class, so we’re going to have to finish this later so…”

“… So have a good day until then,” Shooting Star finished as she tried to pull the others into a quick hug.

“I’m starting to think this was a bad idea,” Derpy grumbled almost silently.

Author's Note:

I am very lazy... that is all.
more to come

Edited by: Drakiro The Dragon