• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 8,352 Views, 247 Comments

A Noble Cause - Sarkastik Menace



Death. All that remains on this planet are the martyrs who gave their lives to ensure the others could escape. Humanity’s greatest has fallen. 23 Billion humans died in the war, and only more would follow. The few strays on Reach were quickly f

  • ...
33
 247
 8,352

Strike

“I’ve tested the spell several times by now, and judging by the test dummy the spell passes through armor as if there was none at all.” Twilight said, shaking her head quickly as she shrugged off the fatigue from showing the Lieutenant her spell. She looked somewhat confident at him and he looked at the fully armored training dummy.

“I could tell it went through the armor fine but how exactly do you know it can bring this thing down? The lieutenant replied skeptically

“I checked the spell several times, I told you. This was the best mix of bringing it down without hurting it severely.”

“You do know it has some sort of shielding right? We did hit it several times, and a bright yellow light was all we got in return.”

The lavender sighed out loud, annoyed. “Why didn’t anypony tell me? We have no choice but to hurt it now.”

“We can hurt it, as long as we don't kill it.” Twilight didn’t answer, frustrated that her hours of research were of seemingly no use. The lieutenant picked up on this quickly and addressed the issue. “Your one of the most powerful unicorns in the country. You have a spell in your arsenal that could whip the heck out of this thing. You are our best chance to take this thing down, as sad as that may sound but our best unicorns only know defense spells, and not even those could hold this thing at bay

It dodged and shrugged off hits from my best guards, and the Lunar guard to boot. We tried ambushing, we tried swarming it. The only thing left to do is give it a show of raw force and hope for the best.” the LT concluded, looking at Twi for a response.

Twilight Groaned and looked at the lieutenant with annoyed eyes “give me today to whip something up ok?”

“Will do. Also, one thing to note is how tired you are after you use the spell you're ‘whipping up’. Who knows, maybe after that spell it’s shields will be down and it will get back up, then you can slam it with the one you found.”

Twilight tapped her head and nodded, walking to her tent without so much a good bye.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A day passed and apparently the guards were content enough with Twilight’s abilities that they would try and attack Six again. A scout, based on sheer luck once again pinpointed her whereabouts. Even more lucky was that Six was moving closer and closer to the camp. She was going down south sticking in the general area of the river, a gauntlet which had scouts were looking day and night. Daring was going to be part of the detachment this time though. The guards goal was to protect Twilight and stall Six long enough for her to hit Six with the spell.

Still, Daring was curious. She could have disappeared from the guard. Sure they were good, but such a big area to search would be near impossible. Though Six gave them such easy opportunities to follow her trail. Why? Six was a soldier, and a very good one at that. the explorer sighed. “I’m overthinking this.” She spoke aloud to herself. “Fighting prowess has little to do with the ability to sneak around and evade pursuers.”

Daring Do was just waiting for the group to be assembled. She was permitted by Captain Typhoon to fight independently of the group, not required to worry about orders. Well, by orders she really meant needing to follow a sergeant, and invariably his or her squad’s lead. She was going to wear the same heavy piece of armour she had been for the last few days, but kind of ironically Daring was bringing no heavy weapons, or weapons at all for that matter to the fight despite having the heaviest armor available.

She heard rustling from the tent flaps and slipped on her helmet. “We’re leaving now corporal.” One of the sergeants said

“On my way, sir.” Daring Do got up out of her chair and walked out of the tent and into the group of guards. They then began to march out of the camp and into the wilderness. All of the guards were clearly nervous and more of them had weapons than before. Many of them had spears, probably wanting to keep Six at range rather than letting her tear them to bits up close. Still, she knew somehow that’d backfire unless Twilight Sparkle was actually going to be serious about this ‘spell’ of hers.

There was a tight formation of thirty guards, three lines of ten in a rectangle. Daring knew it was just to raise morale. the second Six were to decide to attack they’d break and stampede like a herd of buffalo. Daring accompanied Twilight about ten feet from the rear of the formation, making sure Six wouldn’t make her the first target.

As the minutes proceeded to a few hours, Daring and Twilight still hadn’t said a word to each other. Twilight was simply intimidated by her appearance, and Daring was just unwilling to bother with the unicorn. Still, Daring had a very eery feeling something was gonna happen. Something involving the ‘Spartan’, as Six called herself. Of course, this was because Daring actually saw her. She tried to use a cloak of sorts, but Daring simply smirked at the camouflage, though Six wouldn’t see it through her helmet. She still had a keen eye for that stuff. Daring tapped a guard in the rear on the shoulder and said “I spotted it, pass the word.” The message was moved up to the officer and charge and the formation stopped. The group scattered into a line and moved up the woods where Daring saw it. As usual, Daring took the rear with Twilight.

Six crept on the rear of the formation as this was happening. The heavily armored pony, who unbeknownst to her was Daring Do spotted her. Of course, Six wanted to silence this threat so she could cloak free of worrying about being spotted and though she wouldn’t admit it exact a bit of revenge for being spotted like that. The first thing Six did was kick the pony in it’s ribs and it fell to the ground. Six jumped over Daring and went for Twilight. Though right as she did this Daring popped back up and bucked her in the back, dropping her shields and sending her stumbling a few steps forward. The formation now knew of the infiltration and turned to face Six. It wasn’t long before she was engulfed in the middle of the group, beating the crap out of anyone dumb enough to get close. Six also made it a habit of grabbing any spears and snapping them in half like popsicles.

Jabbing the guards in their faces with well time kicks and punches, she whittled away at the horde. But once again the heavily armored pony bucked her from the rear and she was sent stumbling forward several steps. Her shields were again down and all she saw in front of her was a purple bright light. It tore into her seemingly completely ignoring the MJOLNIR armor, but didn’t leave a hole in her torso. This must be the magic Daring Do talked about. Six confirmed in her head. But what does it do?

It didn’t take long to find out, but Six felt very woozy, very tired and off balance. Still she kept attacking, trying to make it seem as if nothing happened but inside she already knew the guards’ spell hit it’s mark, and they took advantage of it. Attacking with a new intensity they surrounded her completely and began to swarm her from all sides. Still she fought them off. Though her strikes were not as fast and precise as before, her brute strength still showed the guards she was far from down. The one thing they did ensure was that her shields weren’t up, but if they were they were not up for very long. Though slowly as they took more hits, the guards backed off.

They were now probing her, testing her limits and learning just how much the spell had dug into her psyche. Six could barely feel her limbs, and felt a fatigue she hadn’t felt ever before, even worse then her most trying missions. Still she managed to fight them off, though Six felt very vulnerable against the guards. One little screw up now could be it for me. Six thought in her head, weighing her chances. If the guards continued to attack like this she could stand her own, but there’d always be that one clever little bastard who’d find a way to screw her up.

As the guards continued to probe her, attacking and falling back before they took losses a few of the pegasi were going to try and do just what Six feared. leaping from a very low cloud three pegasi guards dove down to an unknowing Six. Then suddenly Six knew it as a pegasus slammed into her back with enough force to knock her off her feet and onto her chest. Six scrambled to her feet in time to see five of the Guards bum rushing her. Upper cutting one as she got up the guard fell to the ground, and she kicked a second one in the chest, driving it backwards several feet onto it’s back. The other four ran right past her, making her turn. Then another pegasus slammed into her shoulder, knocking her down again. She jumped to her feet again, just to see another group of charging soldiers. She slammed herself into the first, rag dolling it off of it’s hooves, but the second headbutted right into her stomach, the biggest weak spot in her armor with literally no metal of any sort protecting it. It knocked her off her feet and slammed her into a tree. Getting back to her feet again she slammed the larger guard into the tree hard. Six was very tired, breathing heavily and eyes half open. This made no sense for the spartan. Sure she’d be hurting a little at this point but she felt as if she were going to pass out. Of course her only comfort on the matter was yet another pegasus dive bombing her. It knocked her down to one knee but this time no one charged. But the all too familiar purple light could be seen again. But this time it was near blinding, then the light retracted then expanded suddenly, filing Six’s field of view and sending her flying.

Daring watched as her acquaintance was blasted and went airborne. Though there was a little twist to this. Six had been very close to the side of a cliff, and she was sent right over it and vanished, falling to the earth below. “Damnit.” Daring muttered as she ran forward, taking off the chest piece of the armor to expose her wings and took flight. Diving down fast she spotted Six, surprisingly enough struggling to her feet. She wasn’t going to let Six get away like this. Not again.

Daring suddenly slammed into Six at full speed, knocking her helmet straight off and sending the two straight into the dirt, Daring on top of Six. They were both panting, Daring sprawled across the Spartan. Six was resting on her elbows, struggling to get up and look at her assailant. As soon as she recognized the face, Daring spoke. “Please just give up.” with a bit of humor in her voice, but still very tired. “We won’t bite, and quite frankly i’m tired of this shit.”

Looking into Daring’s weary yet pleading eyes Six let out a sigh and let her elbows betray her as she layed on the ground. Six struggled to keep her eyes open but slowly found herself letting the tempting pleasure of sleep take her. Daring though still looked down at the soldier, not sure if she really was asleep. Daring put back on her helmet and rolled off of Six. It wasn’t long before the guards left in fighting condition gathered around the sight, relieved it was finally over.

Author's Note:

sorry for the delay