• Published 9th Jun 2013
  • 2,936 Views, 103 Comments

Equestria Noir Case 23 "Mad Doctor" - Jacoboby1



Private travels to a strange asylum in search of a missing pony. What he finds is a madhouse filled with all sorts of horrors the likes of which he's never seen. But one madpony in a box has...

  • ...
2
 103
 2,936

Chapter 5 "Doctor Vs. Doctor"

Chapter 5

“Doctor vs. Doctor”

Why did the Doctor want my gun? This was so unlike the Doctor. He was usually so upbeat and cheery. Right now though, his eyes held a blank stare and his face a terrified expression. Just what did he see?

Thankfully Blackbird didn’t have any bullets…

I held up my hooves and asked, “Doctor, what happened? I can help.”

“Nobody can help me…” The Doctor said, a tear falling from his eyes. “Even now you are in danger too.”

“Doctor?”

He looked down at his hooves “I lost so many Private, so many friends in my existence. So many who could’ve lived happy and blissfully unaware lives had I not decided to involve them. Yet in my own arrogance I decided to meddle. I, can’t take the guilt anymore… not after Ditzy.” He looked at my newly made sword and said,“That will do.”

He lunged at me and I shoved him back. I wasn’t going to let him kill himself. He slammed against the wall and then stared at me. “Doctor! Even if you could kill yourself you still have one more regeneration left.” I said, looking at him. “You’ll just come back!”

“It won’t matter,” The Doctor said, a tear rolling down his face. “It’ll be somebody else that will face the guilt! I can’t, Private! I can’t stop! I’ve been in here for hours! I saw each of my companions die or have their lives ruined and I couldn’t stop! It’s all my fault! All mine!”

Amy, Rose…

“So let me end it,” he said, the tears flowing freely. “Just let me die so I can’t hurt anyone anymore!” Then he lunged at me again. This time tackling me to the floor and causing the Dalek sword to fall from my back.

Before I could do anything he reached for it and held the blade to his neck. I looked at him and cried, “Doctor, don’t do this! You can’t die!”

The blade cut into the Doctor’s neck. I watched with horror as blood poured from the wound… and then, the blood stopped. The blood flowed back into the wound and it sealed up as if the Doctor never injured himself.

“I can’t,” he said, dropping the sword and putting his hooves on his head. “I can’t do it, even when I want to. I can’t end it…”

“SNAP OUT OF IT!” I yelled as I raised a hoof and decked him across the face. He fell to the floor in a heap and looked up at me. I looked back at him and said, “We can’t just give up! The Doctor I knew never knew the meaning of the word! Ditzy is counting on us! You can’t just sit here wallowing in self-pity while somepony needs your help!”

He just stared at me for a long minute.

“I know it’s hard to face guilt,” I said a little more calmly. “I can’t possibly imagine all of the guilt you must be feeling. Still, I’m not about to let you take the easy way out like I almost did…You can’t let it destroy you when others need you!”

“Private…”

“Daddy…”

I looked ahead and saw a little lavender filly looking at me from behind the Doctor. She simply smiled and turned around, walking through a wall.

Twinkle…

The Doctor climbed to his hooves, the fire returning to his eyes. “Boy! That was depressing as all heck! What happened, Private?” He seemed back to normal. That’s a relief.

“You went all suicidal on me,” I explained. “You were like Wheelbarrow and kept going on and on about the guilt you felt. Next thing I know you grabbed the sword and tried to kill yourself, but you couldn’t do it.”

“Well, let me see the sword,” The Doctor said, picking up my newly crafted sword as if nothing happened before. “Hmm, very well designed, made out of Dalek metal. Whoever made this is quiet the crafts pony.”

“Uh, that was me,” I said, pointing to the sword. “I took off the Dalek’s plates and used the metal to make it.”

“Fascinating.” He gave the sword back to me and said, “We may need it for later. Honestly I prefer it to firearms.”

“Wait, Doctor,” I said. “You mentioned in your, well state, that you’ve been in here for hours?”

“Yes,” he replied, “I thought I was here for hours.”

“I found you in about five minutes though,” I said, shaking my head. “How is that possible?”

Suddenly his eyes grew wide, and a smile appeared on his face. “Of course! It all makes sense! I can’t believe I’ve never thought of it before!”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, as he began running his sonic screwdriver along the walls.

“I should’ve seen it before, the rooms all being disjointed! The time difference, everything pointed to it. How did I miss it?” He mumbled aloud as he kept running the sonic screwdriver over every padded area of the wall. “This isn’t a prison, or a hospital, Private! This is a TARDIS!”

“A what?” I gasped, my jaw dropping. “But I thought you were the only one with a Tardis!”

“I still am,” he said, looking at me. “This Tardis isn’t functional as far as timey wimey is concerned. However, the rooms, the time gaps, everything points to this being a Tardis. But, it’s like somebody jolted this Tardis awake. Sort of like Frankenstein’s monster. It’s not dead, but it isn’t alive either.”

He gave me a questioning look. I sighed and said, “Yes, we have something like that called Frankenstallion.” After his required laugh, I asked, “So, we’re inside an undead Tardis?”

“I guess you could put it that way,” The Doctor replied. “A Tardis is an actual living things. This one was dead for a while before it got reactivated. At least that’s what I believe. All of its functions must not be working properly though, otherwise, why keep it here?”

“Whose Tardis is it though?” I asked.

The Doctor didn't reply as he used his sonic screwdriver on one of the padded panels. He then pulled it up to reveal a set of wires and circuitry underneath. He began messing with the stuff muttering, “Now let’s see here, spin this wobbly gig here, mix that wire there, cross time dimensionator here, and here we go!”

He held up his Sonic Screwdriver and said triumphantly, “Now with this, we’ll be able to make the doors open anytime we want.” He smiled and continued, “Also, I downloaded a map function onto it. It’ll allow me to pinpoint where we need to go.”

I nodded and asked, “Okay, can it find where Jack and Ditzy are?”

He fiddled with his device for a couple minutes then replied, “No, I can’t get a lock on their exact signal. The Cyber ponies must be jamming it. However, I think we can get to the other padded rooms with this. Just give me a second…”

He ran the device over the door and he opened the door and sure enough, there was another padded room. I looked inside and found Screw Loose…

She was a mare about a decade older than I was. Her coat was the color of the sky and her mane was long and naturally silver. Her violet eyes weren’t the crazy ones I remembered hearing about from the hospital. They were blank, the same as the Doctor’s from before.

“Screwy,” I said gently, “are you okay?”

She looked up slowly and then back down. I heard a low whine come from her.

“Did she just whine like a dog?” the Doctor asked, a little dumbfounded.

“She’s been like this for a while,” I said, looking at her. “It was what got her sent to Ponyville’s mental hospital in the first place.”

The Doctor ran his screwdriver over her and said, “Same symptoms as Wheelbarrow.”

“Screwy?” I gently put a hoof on her shoulder “It’s me, Private. The detective from the papers. You remember right?”

She looked at me, and then tilted her head and gave a small whine. She was trying to remember something. Then she opened her mouth and said in Ponish, “Pri, Pri…”

“Yeah it’s me,” I said, smiling at her. “Dr. Stable sent me to look for you”

“Doctor?” she said, looking down, then she began whining again like a dog. Tears shone in her eyes as she tried to speak, “I, never co… could.. fi.. figure out… the wo… words… H… he…wanted… mm.. me… to learn…how to say…words.”

The Doctor bent down next to her and said gently, “Screwy, I’m Doctor um… Smith. Doctor Smith, Private and I are here to help you come home.”

She suddenly shook her head and growled “No! No home! Screwy no good! Screwy bark!!” She barked more and I looked around the room. Suddenly I heard laughter all around. Constant streams of laughter from everywhere followed by voices.

“Why can’t you speak normally?”

“You’re stupid!”

“Your mom was right to abandon you! Leave you with dogs!”

“Woof Woof, you retard!!”

I looked at the Doctor and said, “She must’ve been teased unmercifully she was a kid. This room is playing on that fear like it did on you and Wheelbarrow.”

Screwy shook her head and backed against the wall, barking and whining incessantly. It was as if every word cut into her very soul. Then I heard another voice, a female voice.

“Screwy, you know you shouldn't bark! You’re six now! Barking is not what ponies do!”

Then came a male voice, this one far angrier.

“You embarrassed me today, Screwy! You're a worthless daughter! I told you never to bark like that in front of ponies! Now I got fired from my job because of your mistake!”

Screwy was crying and whining right now to the point of pity. I heard more voices, all scorning this mare for what made her different. I hated the fact I took part in this by simply calling her Screw Loose. Poor thing…

The Doctor walked to Screwy and said, “Don’t listen to them, Screwy.”

She looked up at the Doctor, and then cowered away from him. Then she said “Want…it al.. all…to stop.”

“Is that what they told you would happen?” the Doctor asked suddenly. I remembered Wheelbarrow mentioning something about them. Could it be?

“Ye…yes…” Screwy stuttered. “Th… they.. said…they’d…sto…stop…the hurting.”

“They’re lying, Screwy,” The Doctor said flatly. “They want to change you, to make you into something you aren’t.”

“But,” Screwy said, looking the Doctor in the eye, “but… I… Screwy is different.”

“Says who?” The Doctor asked with a smile. “Besides, there’s something that people never say when they tell somepony that they are different. They never say, ‘I’m different too.’ In truth, all creatures are very different. Take me for example...”

He took one of her hooves and put it to his chest. Screwy tilted her head and barked once. Then the doctor moved the hoof over a little. Screwy’s eyes grew wide, then she barked twice.

“That’s right,” the Doctor said with a grin. “I have two hearts, I’m different too”

Screwy met the Doctor’s eyes. He continued gently, “Just because you’re different doesn’t make you any less of a pony. I’m sure you have friends that miss you, Screwy. I’m different and I have a lot of friends. Sure, I have a lot of ponies that don’t like me either. But, my friends help me get through it. I’m sure your friends can help you too. Not the ones who put you here.”

She hugged the Doctor right then and there. I walked to her, my horn glowing. I spoke gently to Screwy, “When you wake up, you’ll be home. I promise.”

She smiled and nuzzled me and the Doctor gently. Before licking me on the face. I smiled and gently touched my glowing horn to her forehead. She closed her eyes as the anesthetic spell entered her. The Doctor held her gently as she fell asleep.

“Right,” he said, lifting her unto his back. “We’ll use the screwdriver to head back to the Tardis and drop her off.”

_________________________________________________

The Doctor left the Tardis and shut the door gently behind him. Then a thought entered my mind. “Can’t we use the Tardis to find Ditzy and Jack?”

“You know how dangerous teleporting can be when you can’t see where you’re teleporting,” the Doctor explained. “Since the rooms move around so much I could accidentally transport us into a wall.”

“Right, because you’re still a terrible driver,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“It’s not my fault the Tardis has an attitude,” he grumbled. He then clapped his hooves. “Right, every Tardis has a central chamber, we can use that to pinpoint where they are.”

The Doctor walked to the doorway and ran his Sonic Screwdriver over it. He then opened the door and sure enough there was a large chamber beyond it. In the center looked like a rusted over version of his Tardis’ central computer. It looked far worse than when I found our Tardis in 963.

“Well, looks like most of the equipment is about as useless as a gold sword in minecraft.” He ran his device over it “But I think, yes, there are some ships logs here.” He looked at his device and said, “No, no this is unbelievable.”

“What are you talking about, Doctor?” I asked.

“Private, this ship was a research vessel that came here years ago,” he explained. “It was designed as a rehab center for any sort of hostile aliens they found.” He continued reading from his device “Looks like they ran into trouble with the power or some other timey wimey stuff. They crashed landed here, and couldn’t restore power to the Tardis in time to return to Gallopfrey to begin the time war.”

I looked at him “So, you’re saying that if any of them survived there are other Time Lords of Equestria?”

“One specifically survived, Private!” he said excitedly. “I don’t know her, according to the logs she was only a kid at the time. Her name was going to be, Minuette.”

I didn’t know anypony who went by that name. But the excitement on the Doctor’s face was evident. One of his kind survived and was out of the Time War’s reach.

Clank… Clank… Clank…

We slowly turned and saw eight Cyber Ponies entering the room. The Doctor and I stood back to back, I held my blade in my magic. I had no idea how much good it would do against them. But I wasn’t about to go down without a fight!

“So, it seems you failed to get your treatment, Doctor,” I heard a scarily familiar voice say.

I looked over and saw Thirteen. He had the same coat color as the Doctor. But he had a long ginger haircut and deep green eyes that betrayed madness.

“You,” the doctor said, his voice low and threatening. “I should’ve known you’d figure out some way to survive.”

“It seems you still need some treatment my friend,” he said with an evil sneer. “You are very unwell.”

“What are you doing with those Cyber Ponies?” the Doctor shouted. “Why is it you’re not one of them?”

“Simple,” he said, holding up a small remote, “because they can only obey. Every monster in here is under my control.”

“That’s why they didn’t kill us,” I deduced. “You wanted to scare us, to put us in danger without killing us. So that you could get to the Doctor!”

“Ah, the detective who helped stop my other plot to fix history, and ensure this planet’s death,” he growled with a frown. “It seems you have foiled my plans, yet again."

“Where are Ditzy and Jack, you bastard!” the Doctor yelled.

“I thought it would be fun, seeing another one of your companions leave you,” Thirteen said, looking to the door.

I saw with horror that Ditzy was walking between two cyber ponies, her eyes were blank and she appeared to have been crying earlier. No, they didn’t, those bastards!

“Ditzy!” The Doctor and I cried in unison.

Ditzy didn’t even respond as another pair of Cyber Ponies came through. They held a struggling Jack in their forelegs. Thirteen glared at him and said, “Ah, it seems you’ve awakened, Captain.”

“Hey Thirteen, I hope you’re not so sore about that little incident in Trottingham pre banishment,” Jack returned with a cocky smile.

“Oh Cyber Ponies,” Thirteen called in a sing song voice, and then one of the Cyber Ponies touched Jack on the shoulder , shocking him. Jack fell to the ground and his coat was removed. Then he was thrown at our hooves unceremoniously.

“So, you did manage to distract them,” I said, helping the captain to his hooves.

“Yeah, only for a bit,” he replied, “but, even the best of us get captured by homicidal machines once in a while.”

Not where I’m from…

“Let Ditzy go now!” the Doctor cried.

“Oh but don’t you know? Ditzy here wants to be upgraded,” Thirteen said, his voice dripping with malice. “With her and these other Cyber Ponies I’ll be able to turn this primitive world into a potential asset in the future Time War. Soon the tide will turn and the Time Lords will win.”

“At what cost?” The Doctor cried “You can’t seriously believe Ditzy would want this!”

“No guys,” Ditzy spoke for the first time. All three of us stared at her as she said, “I don’t want to be a burden anymore. I don’t want to feel the hurt anymore.”

“Ditzy,” the Doctor said, his face showing a great sorrow.

“I’m sorry, Doctor,” Ditzy went on. “They were right, all I’ve ever been to you was a stupid klutzy pegasus who couldn’t do anything. I’m useless to everypony. I don’t want to feel hurt anymore…”

The Cyber Ponies began leading her to an iron maiden like structure. I had a guess this was how she was upgraded. I wasn’t about to let that happen.

I shouted, “Turn around!”

Ditzy stopped in her tracks.

“Turn around, every now and then I get a little bit lonely when you’re never coming round…”

Tears began streaming down her cheeks. Thirteen pointed to me and ordered, “Silence him!”

A Cyber Pony held up his laser arm, but suddenly it was shot off. I looked at Jack who had a small laser gun attached to his foreleg. I stared at him and said, “But, they took your coat. Where were you hiding that?”

Jack just smirked. “Private, if you wish to keep your sexual orientation, don’t ask me that again,” he replied smugly.

“Get them!” Thirteen cried, then all the Cyber Ponies aimed their laser arms at us.

“What’s say, we bring along some friends!” The Doctor yelled, and then used his sonic screwdriver to open the door. Suddenly about a dozen weevils entered the room and tacked the cyber ponies.

Chaos followed as Jack and the weevils engaged the Cyber Ponies. Thirteen and my Doctor were fighting each other in what looked like a fist fight. I ran to Ditzy and sliced the leg of one of the cyber ponies guarding her. I then used my magic to levitate the two machines and threw them into a pile of eagerly awaiting weevils.

I looked at Ditzy and said, “You are a klutz, Ditzy, there’s no denying that. But you forgot who stood in front of thousands to sing her heart out. You aren’t a burden, Ditzy, you are my friend. More importantly, you're one of the best mothers I know.”

Slowly Ditzy’s wall eyes came to life and she looked at me. “Private, I’m so sorry! I worried you all so much!” she said, hugging me tightly.

“It’s okay, Ditzy.” I held her and then swung my Dalek blade so that it sliced a Cyber pony’s laser arm off before it could fire at us.

I opened the door that led back to our Tardis and said, “Go!”

Ditzy and Jack ran through the door and into the Tardis. I watched as the cyber ponies retreated to another room, the weevils at their hooves. I slammed the door behind them, knowing that would be enough to get rid of him.

The Doctor and Thirteen were swinging punches at one another. Then they stood back panting and glared at one another. Thirteen taunted, “I cannot believe you feel so inclined to defend these lesser beings!”

“I’m disgusted to believe I could ever be like you,” the Doctor returned. “Did you really think the Cyber Ponies would so easily ally with you? They would’ve turned on you the moment they saw an opportunity. They have no concept of loyalty, except to themselves.”

“I would’ve had their miserable race wiped out once the Time Lords were restored,” Thirteen retorted, as they started circling one another. “Unlike you, who constantly runs away from everything. I chose to fix the mistake that was made.”

“The only mistake here is yours,” the Doctor yelled. “You messed with my companions. You, above all, should know how much that pisses me off.”

“I've never been softened by these pathetic mortals,” Thirteen yelled. “I was born and bred in the ashes of war! There only the strong survive, and the Time Lords rule! I will restore their legacy in the universe one way or another!”

“That legacy should be left to die,” the Doctor replied sadly. “All those races who died because of us. Who we just watched as they were destroyed. We could’ve saved so many but we were content to sit back and watch. Not unlike the Romans when they watched Christians get thrown to the lions. Little did they know that a Spartacus would rise.”

He then aimed his sonic screwdriver at the control module. Alarms began blaring and Thirteen looked on in horror. “You’ll kill us all!”

“Not all of us, just you,” the Doctor smirked.

Thirteen was about to lunge at him when I tackled him in mid air. I struggled with him and then aimed the Dalek Blade at his leg. I stabbed through it, pinning his hind leg to the floor. He yelled in pain and he glared at me, crying out, “You pathetic gnats! The Time Lords will destroy you all!”

“You’re from a dead time, Thirteen. It’s time for the world to change, with or without you,” I told him.

The Doctor and I ran towards the door. “What did you do?” I asked.

“I overloaded the power on the Tardis. Luckily it won’t cause the universe to explode, but it’ll still wipe out this town. Luckily it's already been abandoned.”

“What about the cyber ponies? They were his victims too right?”

The Doctor gave me a look and replied, “There was nothing we could do for them.”

I nodded and we leapt into the Tardis. Jack and the Doctor immediately worked at the controls as I slammed the door shut. Ditzy looked at me and said, “You’re okay, Private…”

I smiled and hugged Ditzy tightly. She cried into my trench coat as I said consolingly, “It’s over, Ditzy. It’s all over now…”

As the Tardis vanished the entire town of Hoof Creek would pay witness to a massive explosion. But as for the Doctor and everypony else on the Tardis, we ended up right back in Ponyville, safe and sound.