• Published 9th Jun 2013
  • 5,446 Views, 189 Comments

Those Beautiful Magenta Eyes - Upatree502



This is not your typical love story where upon realizing my feelings for Rainbow Dash, I confess my love and we live happily ever after. This is a story about my infatuation with my best friend, and my constant fear of letting that secret out.

  • ...
34
 189
 5,446

Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Big Mac and Rainbow Dash started dating near the end of October. The big reveal was on the Saturday before Halloween. Twilight, Pinkie and I were out walking around town, doing some light shopping when we noticed Big Mac and Rainbow Dash sitting at a table at Bon Bon’s Café.

Pinkie crept up behind them, suddenly popping up and screaming, “Hi guys!!”

As expected, it scared the crap out of Big Mac and RD. Twi and I followed and approached soon afterward.

Pinkie gasped loudly. “Are you two going out?! Eee! Aww, you guys are so cute together! You know, I started suspecting something was up when Rainbow Dash started talking more about you and…”

Pinkie kept rabbling on while blushes had already formed on RD’s and Big Mac’s faces. I walked over to Pinkie and pulled her away, pinching her lips together to shut her up.

“Sorry, we didn’t mean to intrude,” I apologized.

Rainbow Dash breathed a little laugh. “It’s okay. I’m a little embarrassed, I didn’t expect you guys to see us here…”

“Well is it true?” Twilight pried. When they looked at her and didn’t give an answer, she asked again. “What Pinkie said… Are you two dating?”

Rainbow Dash blushed and looked down, rubbing the back of her neck. “Um, yeah…”

She exchanged looks with Big Mac and the two laughed a little. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. They must have only started dating a couple days ago because they were obviously still a little bashful around each other. It normally would have been pretty cute, but at this moment I was beyond jealous.

“Awww!” Pinkie squealed.

“Well, I’m happy for you guys,” Twilight said. I wondered if she was lying or not, knowing how I felt about her.

“Well it’s about time,” I contributed, hoping I was lying well enough. “I was getting sick of the googly eyes you were making at each other at the farm.”

Rainbow Dash shot me a look. “I do not make googly eyes,” she retorted.

I wondered why I couldn’t confess my love to her before they had started dating. Well, I knew why. The same reason I hadn’t told her at any other time. Because I was afraid. And because of my fear, here I was again forcing myself to swallow feelings of jealousy, guilt and anger simply because I couldn’t say six simple words to her face.

I guess the real question I was asking myself was, why can’t I just let go? It’s been months that I’ve harbored these strong feelings toward Rainbow Dash. At first, when I felt my blind passion for her begin to fade I thought maybe, with a mix of sadness and relief, that my feelings for her were starting to finally go away. But then I realized, with a pitiful knot in my stomach, that they hadn’t faded at all, I was just giving up. On her. On myself.

And yet here I still was. Wanting her. Longing for her. And why…?

~ ~ ~

It was Monday morning, two days before Halloween, and the group and I had gathered at our regular spot before school started. It was there that Rainbow Dash broke the news to Rarity and Fluttershy as well. I had kind of wondered whether or not those two already knew, via maybe Pinkie or someone texting them the news, but they feigned surprise regardless.

“I didn’t peg you for liking older guys, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity mused.

Rainbow Dash looked thoroughly embarrassed but couldn’t come up with a response. I didn’t even really think about it before, but Rarity’s comment made me think about their age difference. I suppose it wasn’t that big of a deal. Rainbow Dash would be eighteen in less than two weeks and Big Mac was twenty-two. Four years wasn’t too big of an age difference, especially with them both being adults— well, nearly.

I wondered for a moment just how long these two might actually end up together. Naturally, there’s not really any sure way I could tell but…

Dash is loud, and rambunctious, and always raring to go. Big Mac is more of a quiet and down-to-earth guy, a family guy. Dash dreams big, and Mac’s dream is to continue the family business by working on the farm all his days. Two such opposite people couldn’t be together for long, right?

Although, Clad would ideally have been a good match for Dash— both very sports oriented, same personalities, same egotistical attitude— and that only lasted a month. However, Clad was abusive… So I guess my argument is invalid. And Big Mac is the sweetest and gentlest guy I know so I guessed I had to rely on their opposites to be their ultimate end, huh?

But then again, opposites attract.

I suddenly realized everything that was going through my head and, realizing how absolutely absurd I sounded, I burst out laughing. Big Mac and I were practically the same person. So all these opposites that I was listing that I was hoping would tear them apart… It would be the exact same deal with me. Although, in my humble opinion, I would be a much better match with Dash than Big Mac… He’s too shy for her, and I can keep up with her competitiveness.

I realized suddenly that everyone in the group was looking at me strangely. I stopped laughing and blushed. “Uhm, sorry. I remembered something funny.”

“Warms my heart, Applejack, to know that my story was so enrapturing that you spaced out that much,” Rarity scoffed.

“Hey, I spaced out way before you started talking!” I retorted.

Rarity completely deadpanned me, and Rainbow Dash snorted in laughter, covering her mouth with her hand to keep from cracking up. I couldn’t help but smile a little. Her laugh was still adorable.

I felt kind of bad for making Rarity feel like I wasn’t listening— which, I mean, I wasn’t but she didn’t need to know that— but Rare and I get in these kinds of playful spats all the time so I didn’t fret too much about it.

Suddenly the bell rang and I realized with a frown that it was already time to go to class. Surprisingly, I started the school day off with a bit of a better attitude, and that made going to class a little easier and it managed to keep my mind off of Rainbow Dash for a little while.

~ ~ ~

After Psychology, Rarity let Rainbow Dash go ahead of us to meet up with the group and she held me back so she could tell me something. I raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

“What’s up, Rare?”

“Applejack, are you okay?” she asked with genuine concern.

I knew what she was referring to. I looked down and spoke quietly, somehow afraid that Rainbow Dash would still be able to hear us even though she was long gone. “I don’t know. Today wasn’t all so bad, but I know that when my mind has room to wander, that I’ll be feeling bad about this whole RD and Big Mac thing,” I answered.

“Twilight and I were talking last period, we were wondering if you wanted to spend some time with us after school today at Twilight’s house? And we would just all talk for a little bit,” Rarity offered kindly.

I thought about it. “I don’t know, Rare… I kind of have a lot of homework to do.”

I wasn’t lying, I really did have a lot of homework. But I was also feeling kind of wary. These talks, I had noticed, usually led to me crying a lot and one of them comforting me. That wasn’t exactly my fancy.

“Then it can be a sort of study session too, if you’d like. Don’t worry, we’re not trying to make you talk, we just want you to know that we are here for you to confide in and you can tell us anything that you’re feeling. If there’s anything that you want to get off your chest, specifically about Big Mac and Rainbow Dash dating, then you can unload on us,” Rarity said, adding a sweet little smile at the end.

I smiled in appreciation. “Alright, Rare. But nothing too heavy, okay? I’m sick of cryin’ in front of you two.”

She smiled again, laughing a little bit. “Of course, darling. You don’t even have to say anything about the matter if you don’t want to. Like I said, we just want you to feel comfortable talking to us.”

I agreed to hang out with them for a little while at Twilight’s place. We met up with the rest of the group after that, talked for a bit, and then when we decided to part ways, the three of us headed on our way to Twilight’s house where we would have our get-together.

~ ~ ~

At Twilight’s house, it started off as the study session that Rarity had promised but before long it turned into talking about my feelings again. I knew it would eventually, so I didn’t even bother complaining, I just didn’t want things to get too heavy. Besides, talking to both of them had helped before so maybe letting things out a little bit at a time would help me out.

“Applejack, I know you didn’t want to talk about this but… Have you thought about what you are going to do?” Rarity asked cautiously. We were all sitting at a wooden table in Twilight’s library. Twilight looked up from her homework, also waiting for an answer from me.

I fiddled with my pencil. Not quite knowing exactly what she was referring to, I asked, “About what?”

“About this whole thing. I firmly believed you needed to tell Rainbow about your feelings, but now that she and your brother are dating that might make things a bit… complicated,” Rarity said, lightly tapping her pencil eraser on her bottom lip.

I shrugged slightly. “There’s only one thing I can do. I have to keep it a secret still. Now that Big Mac and RD are dating, there’s no way I am going to try and break them up. That’s unfair to both of them and would be a very selfish thing for me to do to the two people whom I love more than anything. But you are right, Rarity. I do need to tell her eventually. And I will, but only if she and Big Mac break up. I just wouldn’t be able to handle the guilt of knowing that I caused some sort of rift in their relationship because of my feelings for her.”

Rarity looked at me and nodded. Twilight did the same, but she stayed quiet.

“I would expect nothing less of you dear…” Rarity said with a small smile. “I think that’s very respectful. It just kills me to still see you like this.”

I sighed. “I know but… There’s nothing I can do now. I was too late in deciding whether or not I would tell her, so I’ll just have to wait.”

I paused and thought for a bit. I furrowed my brow. “But even then, what if she is completely straight, like no interest in girls whatsoever? Wouldn’t it be better to just keep it in and save myself the embarrassment?”

This time, Twilight spoke. She shook her head. “No. I get where you’re coming from, but I think you’re looking at this the wrong way. It’s not about whether or not she has feelings for you too, or even girls in general. It’s about getting this load off your shoulders and just finally getting what you need to say out. Applejack, no matter what happens, she is your best friend and she will always be your best friend.”

Rarity nodded in agreement. “You can’t look at this in fear of what she is going to say when you confess. You need to think about yourself, Applejack. Keeping everything in will only hurt you more, and letting it out will only help you. I promise you, you have nothing to fear. Especially because it’s Rainbow Dash. Trust me, she wouldn’t ever judge you or hate you because of something like this.”

I took everything of what they said into consideration. Maybe they were right… Of course I wanted Rainbow Dash to return the feelings, but whether she did or didn’t it doesn’t matter… This thing that I’m doing to myself, constantly bottling up my feelings and hurting myself, it isn’t doing me any good…

And they were right. Rainbow Dash would never ever hate me for something like this. I suppose the confession could be a bit awkward but who cares…?

“Hey, I know of a way we can get rid of at least one of your worries, Applejack,” Rarity said.

I looked up. “What do you mean?”

“Well, you’re probably thinking that it would be easier to confess to her knowing whether or not she’s into girls, right?”

I thought about it. “Yeah… I guess that might make it a little easier.”

“Then let’s ask her!”

“Ask her?!” I exclaimed. “We can’t just straight up ask her if she likes girls!”

“Why not?” Twilight interjected.

“B-Because that’s awkward!” I said.

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Fine. Then how about this? We can have another sleepover and Twilight can bring up Truth or Dare again, and I’ll make Rainbow Dash answer a Truth question and then I’ll ask her!”

I opened my mouth to respond, but when I thought about it, it was actually a really good idea. “Okay fine…” I finally gave in.

“Yeah! And it won’t be awkward because we ask each other a ton of weird stuff during Truth or Dare!” Twilight said.

I smiled. “Yeah, you’re right. Okay!”

Rarity smiled contentedly and clapped her hands. “Good! Because I’ve been dying to know anyway ever since I met that girl.”

That got a laugh out of me and Twilight, and we soon went back to working on our homework. Twilight decided to text the others and arrange the sleepover. We all agreed on having it this weekend, and that it would be a costume party. Since this Halloween was on a Wednesday, we wouldn’t get to stay up very late, plus Trick-or-Treating wasn’t much fun for a group of older teenagers, so we all decided on having our own Halloween party. It all worked out quite perfectly!

~ ~ ~

Halloween itself was pretty boring. I personally did not dress up or do anything because I had to study for a pre-calc exam the next day. What kind of teacher assigns an exam the day after Halloween anyway? I wondered how many of the other girls were studying like I was, since we all had the same exam.

Twilight was for sure. Fluttershy probably was, as was Rarity, although I can see her slacking a bit. I highly doubted Pinkie and Rainbow Dash were studying. They were probably out at some party getting drunk. I hoped for their sake that they had at least studied a little bit…

I passed out candy for the first half of the night, but Grannie Smith and Big Mac handed out candy the rest of the night, knowing I had stuff to study for. As always, Applebloom had gone out Trick-or-Treating with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. All in all, it wasn’t a very lively Halloween.

However, our Halloween party that weekend definitely made up for it. I went as a pirate because it was easy to do, cheap, and I actually looked pretty good in it. I got to show off some of my stomach which, might I add, was pretty well-toned due to the work around the farm I did.

Pinkie brought a little booze that I guess was left over from Halloween night. She made all of us screwdrivers, apart from Fluttershy who doesn’t like to drink. Mine was a little more potent than I’d have preferred but I wanted to get a little tipsy tonight so I tried to ignore the taste.

As usual, nobody else was home in the Sparkle residence. Spike was at his own post-Halloween slumber party and Twilight said her parents were out again on a business trip. I had stopped wondering what these whole “business trips” were anyway. I hadn’t seen Twilight’s parents in a really long time; I almost started to wonder if it was just her living here and taking care of Spike. It definitely seemed possible, and I knew Twilight was more than capable of taking care of herself and Spike without any parents.

I decided that was Twilight’s business and focused on the party. After a little while of just talking and having fun, we decided to play King’s Cup. I was pretty familiar with the game, but Pinkie refreshed everyone on the rules anyway before we began. It was a fun game, and a quick way to get us all a little drunker— except Flutters who was just playing with soda. After a while, though, even she agreed to try a screwdriver with “very little” alcohol, as she had emphasized to Pinkie. Halfway through the game, Pinkie and Rainbow switched to harder alcohol, and Twilight and I decided to drink hard apple cider. Rarity took it upon herself to put even more vodka in her drink.

After time, our King’s Cup game was coming to an end— there were only about four or five cards left— and it was my turn. I picked up a random card and… I got a king.

“Crap!” I yelled, possibly a bit louder than I intended due to the alcohol. It was the fourth and final king which meant…

“Ha! Applejack has to drink the King’s cup!” Rainbow Dash snorted.

I shot her a look. Rainbow had gotten the first king and dumped her entire drink in there, which was a couple shots of whatever-the-hell brown stuff she was drinking. Whiskey or whatever. Twilight had gotten the second one and put some hard apple cider in the cup. And Pinkie had the third king, dumping in a couple shots worth of Fireball whiskey in there. This was going to be disgusting. And probably get me way drunker than I wanted to be.

I thought of just drinking it as quick as I could and make gagging noises to show the girls how much pain they put me through. But then I got a different idea after looking at Rainbow Dash’s stupid, smirking face…

Taking the King’s cup, I glared at Rainbow Dash, and chugged the entire cup— slowly—, keeping eye contact with Rainbow the whole time. Yes, it was friggin’ awful and it took all my willpower not to gag but I felt like a god when I finished that cup of sludge.

“Holy shit Applejack!” Rainbow Dash laughed in awe.

Rarity and Twilight were both staring wide-eyed at me, and Rarity mouthed, “Are you okay?” to me. I gave her a thumbs up, despite feeling like I was about to throw up.

Pinkie was giggling and snorting uncontrollably. “Oh man, Applejack! You’re awesome!”

Her adorable laugh made me smile and laugh a bit, though I accidentally snorted. Oh man, I was already starting to feel it. This is where I had to pretend to be more sober than I was.

Once we finished the last of the cards, we put away the deck and settled down a bit. Pinkie was still laughing, and Rainbow was smiling like an idiot. I probably was too. I could tell Rarity and Twi were a little drunk too, and Fluttershy could have been a little tipsy.

“Now that we’re all good and honest, let’s play Truth or Dare!” Rarity suggested loudly. Hehe, yeah she was drunk too.

“Come on, don’t you think we’re getting a lil’ old for that?” I slurred.

Rare shot me a look, which I didn’t understand at first. Oh yeah… This was for me. She was going to question Rainbow Dash.

“Well, I’ll go first since, besides Fluttershy, I’m the most sober one here,” Twilight said. Pinkie Pie, beside her, let out a loud laugh.

“Oh boy…” Twi said. “Okay, Pinkie. Truth or dare?”

“Umm… Truth!” Pinkie said.

“Hmm, okay. How many guys have you kissed?” Twilight asked.

“Hmm…” Pinkie pondered. “Seven, I think?”

“Wow, that’s kind of a lot,” Twi said with surprise. I was surprised too. I knew Pinkie had her first real make-out session in eighth grade, but I didn’t know since then how many she’d had. However, she might have just been counting little kisses too, not just make out sessions so I wasn’t really sure how to interpret her answer.

“Okay my turn!” Pinkie screeched. “Rarity! Truth or dare?”

“You know what? Dare,” Rarity said. I let out a tiny laugh. She never chose dare, especially coming from Pinkie.

“I dare you to kiss Applejack!”

What.

Rarity looked at me with wide eyes, and I returned the look. Suddenly, I burst out laughing. I have no idea if it was the fact that I was completely drunk, or that the very idea of kissing Rarity was just hilarious to me.

Suddenly, Rarity cupped my cheek with one hand and quickly came in to kiss me before I could react. I immediately stopped laughing when her lips touched mine and just sort of stared at her in surprise. I instinctively tried to pull away, but her hand kept me there. She let the kiss linger, before pulling away slowly. Everyone in the room was dead silent.

I blushed fiercely, as did Rarity. She huffed and ran a hand through her hair.

“There. Satisfied?” she asked haughtily.

“Oh my god. You actually did it!” Pinkie Pie burst out laughing, and basically started rolling on the ground.

“That was hot,” Rainbow Dash said. I blushed even more and shot her a look.

“Rarity, can you please go,” I grumbled.

“Gladly,” Rare said. “Rainbow Dash. Truth or dare?”

“Dare,” she answered immediately.

Rare rolled her eyes. “Oh come on. You always choose dare! Mix it up a little! I always choose truth, and I just chose dare so you have to choose something different too.”

“Ugh, fine,” Dash scoffed. “Truth.”

“Would you ever date a girl?” Rarity asked.

I held my breath. Here it comes…

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash said casually and shrugged her shoulders.

“Oh,” Rarity said with surprise. “Well that was easy.”

Dash raised an eyebrow. “You guys know I’m bi, right?”

Nobody answered, and instead we shook our heads. Pinkie was still laughing, hanging onto Rainbow. I assumed she already knew. Her and Dash were pretty close, and I had no doubt that she would have already told Pinkie.

“Wait, I’ve never told you guys?” Rainbow Dash asked with confusion.

Twilight shrugged. “Nope.”

“Well, damn. I thought all of you knew. Yeah, I like both guys and girls,” Dash said.

“Well, I mean none of us are surprised,” Rarity said with a wry smile.

Dash smiled and shrugged. “I mean, I don’t really try to hide it.”

Trying to hide how god-damn relieved I was, I took a slow drink of my cider.

“So have you dated any girls?” Twilight asked.

Rainbow Dash shook her head. “Nah, but I made out with Vinyl Scratch once.”

I immediately sucked in air in surprise, but I just ended up breathing in a shit ton of apple cider, and coughed it all up. Fluttershy leaned over and patted my back while I was choking.

Rainbow Dash started laughing. “Oh man Applejack is wasted.”

“And so is my carpet…” Twilight frowned at the cider-soaked spot on her carpet. Pinkie let out a screeching laugh at her comment.

“I am not,” I growled once I stopped choking. In truth, I had never been as drunk as I was right then. I was amazed that I was still able to keep my balance throughout the whole game.

“Okay, dear. We’re going to stop drinking now…” Rarity said as she put one arm behind my back and took my drink with the other. I rested on her arm, glad to finally have something to lean against.

The others continued playing Truth or Dare, but I kind of zoned out and went into my thoughts as I leaned against Rarity’s arm. So, one of my questions had finally been answered tonight. Rainbow Dash does indeed like girls. So at least if I were to confess to her, I wouldn’t make a complete fool of myself.

My brief moment of happiness subsided when I remembered that her and my brother were dating. None of this would even matter if she kept dating Big Mac. Yeah, she liked girls, but she liked guys too. And more importantly, she liked my brother… More than me…

Before receding too far into my world of depression, I felt Rarity helping me get up and saw that the game had ended and everyone was going to sleep. Everything was basically a blur and the next thing I knew I was in a bed, and that’s all I needed to know. I glanced at the clock. It was a little past three in the morning. My eyes closed immediately after that and I fell asleep instantly.

Author's Note:

Wow, has it really been a year since I last updated? Man, I am so sorry, guys. It was a long hiatus this time. I don't really have any excuse, other than that my adult life is catching up to me and I just haven't had the motivation to write. I will try to keep updating, but I'm never sure about when my next update will be.
Anyway, to all my old and returning readers, welcome back, I'm sorry for the really long wait, but I'm glad you all stuck with me.
And to any new viewers: welcome and I hope you all enjoy my story :)

I will truly try to keep up. I hope I can stay true to that. Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Comments ( 17 )

Yay it's back!

All I see is bait and switch! MacDash, Rarijack kissing... where be the AppleDash, ya landlubber? :P

I am totally stoked to see this story has updated!

Oddly enough, yesterday I checked to see when it would update. I can't wait for the Final Confession.

OH I AM SORRY MASTER I NEVER SHOULD HAVE DOUBTED YOU THIS WAS MORE THAN ENOUGH

Super happy this updated again.

I hope you get to write the next chapter soon!

“Yeah! And it won’t be awkward because we ask each other a ton of weird stuff during Truth or Dare!” Twilight said.

Oh hoh hoh hoh! HOHOHOHOHO.

WAIT? Does Rarity knows about AJ being in love with RD????

That's it. I am not reading this until I see it finish. I can't stand the waiting anymore XD
-I'm sure I will read the next one too - Not that I complain, I like MacDash as much as the next person, but where is the AppleDash????? I can't resist more angst ...

6213837
Yes, Rarity knows about AJ's feelings for RD. The kiss was very innocent, nothing more than a simple dare :) Don't worry you guys, nothing is going to happen between Rare and AJ

6230593 Man it has been a while but it was worth it man. hope you are able to update regularly i understand that you are busy.

Too bad you don't update this more often. I just found this story yesterday, and I'm liking it so far. The pace is a little slow, but I think that will just make the end result all the worth while. I just hope you get to said end result. :ajsmug:

:raritydespair: :raritydespair: :raritydespair: :raritydespair: :raritydespair: WHEN WILL THIS UPDATE!?!?!?!??!?????!!!!!!!!

I don't even log onto fimfiction anymore, nor for I involve myself in the MLP fandom, but I always still came back for this fic. Always a sucker for AppleDash because, let's be honest they're hot af. I am sad to see that this hasn't been updated in a whole year BUT, that's what happened last time you still surprised us all with an update ;)

Is there gonna be anymore chapters? I'm dying for an Appledash over here :raritycry:

Hey Author I Love This Story Such A Sucked For AppleDash PLS Update Soon :fluttershysad: It's Been Over 5 not or less years since u updated:fluttershysad: Thank U

Nooooo shot is that the end :(
I thoroughly enjoyed your story, but it just ending there is tortuous

Login or register to comment