• Published 9th Jun 2013
  • 590 Views, 19 Comments

"Trollen Floggen" - Odsin Ends



Fluttershy is kind. Everypony knows that, and everypony loves her for it. But sometimes, being kind gets you into trouble. When Fluttershy hears a cry for help in the everfree forest, she goes to help without thinking. She probably should have.

  • ...
 19
 590

Chapter 3: Inevitable conflict

“Hmmm hum humm.” Dmitri' had started a campfire. The encampment was small, but cozy. Fluttershy had long since fallen asleep during the journey, and if Dmitri' knew anything about his particular healing process, she'd be ravenous when she woke up, but otherwise fine.

But she was cold, that was another side effect. He'd started a fire near a running river, and moved her near it. Besides that, he had bundled her up in warm leaves that seemed to be none deadly. He'd have gotten animal skins, but he himself was tired, and didn't want to fight with anything. Fluttershy let out a shiver, and spasm-ed out of the leaves. Dmitri' was concerned, that wasn't a normal reaction.

He lifted the small butter yellow Pegasus as gently as he could, and brought her closer to the fire. Just to be sure, he brought her close to his mouth and began to sniff her, just to make sure she was OK. There didn't seem to be an issue. He smiled with a sharp toothy grin. She seemed to be fine, and the muscle spasm was probably just something that she- Bam! The side of Dmitri's head was slammed into by a flash of cyan and rainbow, and Dmitri' tumbled backwards. Fluttershy fell to the ground into the bundled pile of leaves, still unconscious.

“Take that you big jerk! Guys! Over here!” The cyan blur shouted as she made another pass. Dmitri' was confused beyond belief. Something was attacking him, which was new, but now that his vision was blurred, he couldn't very well defend himself. Another blur of cyan and rainbow, and Dmitri' was knocked back another ten feet. The creature was definitively smaller than him by a large degree, but it was fast, and it was dangerous. Even though he couldn't see very well, Dmitri' knew well enough to know that. Before he could come up with a strategy, the blur slammed into his gut this time, and Dmitri' was beginning to get angry. He reared back, and this time when the cyan Pegasus flew into his face, he roared with all his might, flinging her backwards with the sheer ferocity of his roar. The Pegasus tumbled into a tree, and then to the ground.

Now Dmitri' had a policy, no eating talking meat under normal circumstances. However, if something attacked him, he killed it and ate it without a second thought. So, he lunged forward mouth open teeth bared, and was ready to sink his fangs directly into the pony. Rainbow Dash flinched, and closed her eyes, but before he could finish the deed, Dmitri' was pulled backwards by a lasso that had somehow found its way around his neck. He managed to make the noise Gurk! Before being slammed into another tree.

“You all right sugercube?” an orange earth pony had arrived on the scene just in time. Rainbow took back to the air and smiled sheepishly.

“I-I'm fine!” She said, obviously still shaken. “now lets take this bozo down, hard!”

Dmitri' was gagging on the forest floor. A single claw came to his throat and sliced the rope clean off. His eyes were beginning to glow yellow again, and his brow furrowed. Breathing heavily the angry troll yelled in a near deafening voice“I VILL EAT YER BONES, UND MAKE FEAST OF YER BLOOD!”

The two ponies were shocked by this, then Rainbow turned to a bewildered Applejack and said. “He can talk?”

She was interrupted when Dmitri threw a tree at her, sending her flying. Applejack flung some apples out of her bag and bucked them as hard as she could. They flew like bullets, Striking Dmitri' in the face. He groaned, then picked up a pine cone and hurled it back. Applejack ducked, and the pine cone went soaring above her. She smiled triumphantly, but Stopped when she felt A clawed hand grasp her around the midsection and pull her up. Dmitri' was not smiling when he opened his mouth. This fight was not one he was enjoying. He planned on biting down and severing her head from her body.

But before he could, white hooves struck him in the groin region, and his eyes widened. He immediately dropped the orange pony and cradled his injured manhood. “Take that you brute! That's what you get for picking on poor defenseless Fluttershy!”

Dmitri' had had more than enough of his fill that day. Recovering slightly, he sent a clawed arm at the white unicorn, intending to kill. But the blue Pegasus hit him again in the head. He hadn't planned on this, but his reaction time was still pretty good. He grasped the blue one out of the air, and swung her like a club, beating the orange one unconscious. The white one reared back and sent another kick to his groin, but he grasped her back hoof and threw her into a tree, cutting her side something fierce. Now, the three ponies were a huddled mass of groans and pain, and now Dmitri' was smiling. He cracked his fingers and moved in for the kill. This time he'd....he'd....

“Vait a minute...” Dmitri' was a genius as far as trolls went, which put him right at average human intelligence. The white one had mentioned Fluttershy. Instead of just eating them right away, he moved his face incredibly close to their clustered forms, they shivered in fear, but he just inhaled deeply. Sure enough, they shared some scent with Fluttershy. They really did know her. Oh......., this was just one big misunderstanding, that's all! He'd just explain himself and everything would be okay. He reached a hand out to try and help the orange pony to its feet....

*Bazap*! His left shoulder was hit with a blast of confetti, balloons, and other assortments of party supplies, while his right shoulder was hit with a beam of pure indigo magic. The momentum of both those forces hitting him at the same time sent the troll careening twenty feet in the air, and he landed in the fast current of the river. His clawed hand had somehow grasped onto the hat that the orange one was wearing, and he clung onto it, trying to find his way to the surface for air, but he couldn't, as trolls bones were thick as stone, which was good for fighting but bad for swimming. The last thing he heard before succumbing to unconsciousness was a shout of celebration from the group of ponies who'd just knocked him flat on his face.

“Rarity, are you OK!” Twilight ran over with concern for her friend. Pinkie too, was concerned, but showing an uncharacteristic side of herself, she decided that crowding her friend might not be the best idea.

“Oh, I'm fine darling, it looks much worse that it is.” She winced as she got to her hooves. Twilight couldn't hide a sigh of relief, or the worry that was still present in her face. He friends were OK, it seemed, and the monster was gone. Still, she'd never seen anything like it before, so just to be safe she made a mental note to write the princess about it when she got back.

Fluttershy was laying motionless in the leaves. As the five ponies who were her best friends surrounded her, no a single hoof was moved. They were all thinking the same thing. Was she, alive? Had they made it in time? All of the tension dissolved however, when a loud snore came from her unconscious form.

The assembled ponies all sighed in relief, and then Rainbow Dash chuckled and shook the sleeping Pegasus vigorously.

“Geez Fluttershy, you really had us scared there for a minute.” Rainbow Dash laughed. Fluttershy didn't move a muscle.

“Come on Shy, rise and Shine!” Rainbow shouted. Fluttershy didn't move a muscle. Rainbow lifted her up by her shoulders and shook her harder,but Fluttershy remained asleep, and her head fell backwards in a comical fashion. Rainbow wasn't about to give up though.

She flew to the sky and got a raincloud and brought it back right above the snoozing pegasus, and jumped up and down on it. A cascade of rain poured down on Fluttershy, but after it cleared, she remained asleep, this time her snores coming out as gurgles.

“Stand back Dashie,” Pinkie pie said as she stood between Rainbow dash and Fluttershy. “ This looks like a job for Pinkamena Diane Pie!”

Pinkie Pie pulled out a variety of instruments from seemingly nowhere and began beating drums, blowing on horns, and crashing symbols, but for all of her efforts Fluttershy just remained asleep. The most of their combined efforts seemed to do nothing but make her roll over and grumble.

Twilight's horn lite up, and Fluttershy's unconscious form was cradled in violet energy.

“I think that she's just going to have to sleep this off girls,...but I don't think there's anything really wrong with her.” The lavender unicorn stated.

“I reckon she's right,” Applejack said absentmindedly. Her concern for Fluttershy sated, Applejack had proceeded to look around the small clearing. “Not much we could do fer her at this point anyway.”

“What are you looking for applejack?” Pinkie said popping up right next to her.

“Gosh darn it pinkie don'cha go scaring me like that!”Applejack said as she raised her right hoof to her heart. Pinkie's face turned concerned for a minute, until Applejack continued. “It's mah hat, I think I lost it in the tousle, and I can't seem to find it.”

“Doncha worry Applejack! We'll help you find that hat lickadie split!” Pinkie said draping her hoof over Applejack's shoulders.

“Um, darlings, sorry to be the bearer of bad news,” Rarity piped up, winching as she trotted over. “ But that thuggish brute was holding it when it swan dived into the river.”

The five conscious ponies looked over to the rushing river, and a collective shiver crossed down their spines. That thing had almost killed Fluttershy, and nearly the rest of them to. If they hadn't taken it by surprise, if Twilight and Pinkie hadn't knocked it into the river.....well the rest certainly weren't happy about a creature possibly dying, but it had left them no choice in the matter.

Being stabbed, cut, subjected to blunt force, poisoned or diseased generally didn't concern a troll,.. well, unless they were stabbed with silver. But that certainly didn't mean that trolls didn't have weaknesses. Stab them enough and they'd run out of steam and die. Same if you hit them with enough force. But if you really wanted to kill a troll, there were three generally proven was of doing it. One was silver, which, while simple enough, silver isn't always readily available, and isn't very reliable as a weapon. The second was much more popular and easier to get a hold of. Fire would stop the regeneration ability of a troll, tried and true, and burning would definitely make sure a troll wouldn't come back, especially dragons fire.

The third and final method was something that was not quite as popular as the rest, but it was still utilized from time to time, It was the method that Dmitri' found himself succumbing to at the moment. Water. Trolls were like bricks in water, mostly due to the thickness of their bones. And while a troll could grow back its arm, or leg, or anything really, a troll still needed to breath.

Dmitri', to be fair, was more accustomed to water than your average troll as he bathed frequently, a not so common practice among his kind. That said, he was still unconscious in a raging river, and his lungs were filling up with water. It did not look like things were going to work out for Dmitri' the Troll.

Whether luck or divine providence, or the fact that it would be a very boring story if Dmitri' died here, Dmitri' hit something in the water. Something long and scaly, something purple. Something with a fabulous mustache. It looked deep into the water and saw a hairball striking against its side. After being disgusted for half a second, the sea-serpent grasped the hairball and hauled it onto shore. Dmitri' coughed up the river water, and a giant looking fish, before sputtering for air and resuming his unconscious state.

Muffled voices, that was all Fluttershy could hear. She was in a soft silvery void, and everything felt warm and calm. She felt alright. She felt at piece. But reality was pounding on her head. There was this soft beeping noise, and it was getting progressively louder. Light, light was pouring in from everywhere, and the voices were becoming louder.

It took no more than a sensation of being touched to wake Fluttershy up. In her fore hooves was a small bunny that she was very familiar with. Angel was tearing up, crying into his surrogate mother's chest. Fluttershy looked with kind eye's into her little bunnies face and hugged him back. Angels face lite up, and he literally threw himself deep into Fluttershy's fur.

All around her the chorus was the same. “Fluttershy!” Spoken with varying levels of concern and surprise.

Now, Fluttershy looked around the room she was in. It was Ponyville general hospital, and she was in a hospital bed with an IV hooked into her vein. All five of her best friends were around her, all of them obviously sleep deprived. Fluttershy, on the other hand felt like,.... well she hadn't felt so well rested in years! She felt like her muscles were clouds, and her mind felt clear. That must have been the best sleep that she'd had in years.

The quiet before the storm broke a few seconds later, and all of her friends were now crowding around her, drowning her in a sea of sound. Fluttershy flinched and spoke very quietly. “Please...one at a time.”

After a few more attempts to calm them down, and failure following each one of them, a nurse pony finally shouted “Quiet!”

All the ponies in the room seemed to be humbled by the nurses outburst. “What's wrong with you ponies?! She's still recovering!”

Twilight sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck, but Fluttershy just smiled kindly at them.

“Its alright Nurse Redhart, I think they're just happy that I'm OK,” Fluttershy spoke happily. All of her friends began smiling right back at her, except for Rainbow Dash.

“What were you thinking Shy?” She said getting as close to her as possible to her friends face. “You could have been eaten by monsters! Heck, you almost were! Why didn't you get at least someone to go with you!”

“I know, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry,” Fluttershy said looking down at the little bunny cradled in her forearms. But then a smile found itself on her face again. “But if I didn't, then I wouldn't have meet my new friend!”

All the ponies in the room tilted their heads to the side slightly and looked at Fluttershy, save the nurse who was busy reading a chart. Of course with Pinkie that didn't last long.

“Oh boy, a new friend!?” Pinkie said with a great big smile. “Well why didn't you say so, oh wait I guess you did say so... huh, well anyway that's super fantastic terrific! Not only can I throw a, We're glad you didn't get eaten by a big hairy monster party for Fluttershy, but I can double up and have a welcome to Ponyville party for your friend!”

“Speaking of which,” Fluttershy pipped in, though Pinkie was still going on and on about decorations and confections, but she'd learned that there was no point in trying to get Pinkie to listen at this point. “Where is Dmitri' anyway?”

Silence, save for the chattering of Pinkie Pie, filled the uncomfortable little general hospital.“Uh, Fluttershy, when we found you, you were alone, there was nopony else around you.”

“Oh my, no!” Fluttershy tried to stand up, only to be pushed back down to the bed by an aura of lavender. “I've got to get out there and find him! He must be scared and all alone!”

“It's alright Fluttershy, it's ok,” Twilight said with concern. “Look, we'll look for him, just, just tell us what he looks like and we'll start search parties.”

“But..but....ok...” Fluttershy said, resigned to her fate. “His name is Dmitri', he's Really tall, about twelve feet it seems. He has hair all over his body, except for on his chest, claws, and face where he has tan skin, and a long stripped tail. His ears are like bat wings, and his eyes looked like Spikes'. He wore red shorts and he has long fangs.”

"Fluttershy, Darling, that doesn't sound like any stallion I've ever met," Rarity said perplexed.

"Oh, he's not a pony, silly," Fluttershy said with a slight giggle, the medication might have been making her lightheaded. "He's a troll."

All of Fluttershy's friends slowly had the same dawning conclusion. Five ponies different expressions all reaching the same look of surprise, but going on different routes to get there was an amusing thing to witness.

“You mean that freaky monster thing? Uh, news flash Fluttershy, he tried to eat you!” Rainbow said exasperated.

“Oh, Dmitri's not a monster, he's a troll!” Fluttershy said defensively. “He would never try to eat me, he's really quite nice when you get to know him. He saved my life, these rocks fell down on me and nearly crushed me. But he managed to dig me out and help me! I would've died without him! I got so exhausted for some reason....anyway he was going to carry me home!”

The ponies all began looking very uncomfortably at each other, none of them daring to say a word to Fluttershy. Twilight's face had gone bone white, Pinkie looked on the verge of tears, Applejack turned away and looked to the wall. Rarity's mouth was just a gasp, and Rainbows face continually flip-flopped from being serious and angry, to being confused and perplexed.

Fluttershy looked around perplexed. “So you guys did meet Dmitri'? Where is he?”

She was greeted with stunned silence.