• Published 12th Jun 2013
  • 11,255 Views, 231 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: New Tactics Part III - no sh*t sherlock



Conversion Bureaus are over and Humans are going to take back whats theirs

  • ...
39
 231
 11,255

Chapter 12: The Gate

Chapter 12: The Gate

September 28, 2033, Morning

Hudd stood on top of the checkpoint building as an army of humans moved past him. They were just minutes away from beginning their assault on the great pony city of Canterlot. Their opposition was a thick mass of ponies roughly a third of a mile in front of them. His force was much smaller and the ponies outnumbered them roughly 4 to 1. But he was not worried, he was angry.

Standing here, so close to bringing them down, brought back memories of the hardships of the past few years. Memories of what the ponies had done was the motivation of most everyone there.

When the humans ceased moving forward there was no more than a tenth mile between the two front lines. For the moment, neither side made a move and all was still.

"Hudd, we're ready on your go." Rebbeca said through the radio. She was in first line with a LMG in her hands and a shotgun around her back.

Hudd took a slow breath. It started now. "Alright good luck. Mortars on my mark. 3, 2, 1."

On his go, the mortar teams behind him fired their first rounds. They flew past the humans and devastated the pony ranks, sending more than a few flying.

The ponies had only mere seconds of confusion before they sent up a collective battle cry and started charging forward to meet the human lines.

Loud yells rose up from the humans as the first blood had been spilled on the battlefield. Those in the very front with machine guns and assault rifles began laying down fire and sending hundreds of bullets across the dwindling space between the two species.

Dozens upon dozens of ponies were cut down in the front. However more ponies kept coming and as their lines became more and more spread out they were getting closer. It was made worse by the fact that a few dozen pegasi had flown above the battlefield and carried earth and unicorns ponies with them. They moved faster and were more evasive so they were given the priority.

A few more mortar rounds exploded, but the ponies seemed unfazed. They were galloping now, with the strongest earth ponies in front. Some of the unicorns had magical shields in front of them to deflect bullets. The weaker ones could produce one that performed well enough against them, but gave no protection against the mortar shells.

Hudd looked through his binoculars and found one pony that was making an extremely large one. He was farther back in the ranks and was making a pink, spherical shield that surrounded dozens of ponies around him. It was a white unicorn with a dark and light blue mane and tail. He had on purple and gold armor that no one else wore, so Hudd assumed that he was important.

As the pegasi got closer and quickly closed the gap, nearly all attention was turned to them, giving the ponies on the ground a window to move in. The faster and more agile pegasi were able to dive and avoid being shot until the were over the human lines. They would then drop a few ceramic balls the size of oranges, before reversing direction and heading full speed back to the wall.

When Hudd first saw the containers dropping he thought it was more ponification fluid, which amused him. They had liters of there own serum, the tiniest bit of which, would have the revert them back to humans. Attempting to ponify any of them would be only a briefly set them back.

However when the balls hit the ground, a blinding bright light flashed quickly, and left a few of people around it momentarily blinded. White smoke filled the air in front of them after the initial flash. The few seconds of pause were all the ponies needed and the first of them met with the human line. The earth ponies with the strongest legs were the first to reach them. The most unlucky of them were hit from blind fire through the smoke and slid to a stop just a few feet from the humans.

Those that did get through, turned away and with lightning speed bucked their hooves into human chests. The force would knock a good many of them down and those who didn't get up in time were trampled underneath wave after wave of hooves. The only ones who weren't affected by the first ponies, were those with shotguns. They waited until ponies were right in front of them and then eliminate them with single shots.

But only a few carried shotguns and eventually the rest of the ponies collided with the human line.

When the unicorns arrived and with their magic, they blasted any humans off their feet who were caught reloading. However because most unicorns had to be close to be effective and the humans quickly learned that a melee hit a rifle butt could stop one.

With the ponies and humans now engaging head on, Hudd could no longer observe from the roof. He grabbed his pistol and a metal baseball bat, the same one he had used to beat Princess Celestia into submission months ago, and jumped down to join the battle.

**************

Shining Armor moved up quickly across the battlefield. His forces had already gotten past what he knew would be the most difficult part and had made it past the field and made contact with the humans.

As he ran explosions hit all around him, but he had created a giant bubble shield which was holding up well.

He was also confident he had identified at least one of the leaders of the human army and was going to attempt taking him out. He had been on roof of the rail building observing before the battle had begun and wore a black vest that he couldn't seen anyone else wearing.

He was seconds away front arriving where the action was which, due to the proximity, was being fought almost exclusively horn and hoof to hand. He now thought it was time for the second phase of defense.

He let his shield fade away and from his horn, shot a vertical beam of green light into the air. Moments later huge bolts from the city wall flew over him. The bolts were magic and as they lost altitude they would replicate into seven identical pieces. The bolts sliced through the human formation, impaling some and knocking others to the ground.

"Hold them here!" Shining Armor shouted. The onslaught of bolts was successful, but only as long as the humans remained in one mass. If they managed to break off and scatter, picking them off one by one would be next to impossible. At the moment only a few pony lines blocked the humans from moving forward so that it didn't happen.

But only seconds later it was getting much harder to stop them. More shotguns were being passed to the front and were blasting multiple ponies at a time. Grenades were also being tossed by humans in the middle. After a few well placed throws, their line began to row weaker. Shining and other unicorns were using spells to launch various energy blasts over their troops and into the humans'.

"We can't keep them back any longer!" One unicorn shouted. The humans began finding distance between the ponies and firing heavily into them. It wouldn't be long until they'd break out and be all over the place.

It was sooner than he had expected, but he had no choice. Luna would have to be called in.

*****************

The front lines had pushed past the ponies and were moving in towards the castle, they'd scattered and put distance between them and the ponies. The mortars had been ordered to stop firing so the humans could push forward without being killed by their own weapons.

Hudd sprinted past some of his troops on the battlefield. He was now ready for a fight and had located his first victim. A pony had just bucked a human who had fumbled with his mag while he tried to reload. He was about to bring a hoof down on his face, when Hudd ran up from behind. He swung his metal bat with all his might and connected with the back of the pony's head.

The earth pony immediately fell over without even a yelp and blood poured from the new soft spot on his head. Hudd pulled the human to his feet and kept moving.

Hudd was extremely deadly with his pistol/bat combo. He would charge his enemies, taking them head on. He would move his bat gracefully like one would with a one handed sword. He'd hit them in their legs and sweep them off their hooves before killing them with single shots to the head as he stepped quickly past them.

Unicorns were the only ponies on the ground to cause him even the slightest bit of a problem. As he ran to them, they launched all types of magic at him to which he spun around, jumped over and dodged. Stronger unicorns made evading more difficult and if it was too much for him, he'd simply take them out with a pistol at a farther range.

Pegasi were also tricky, they were fast. In addition to carrying what was basically pony stun grenades, they also carried balls that contained unicorn magic. When they threw and dropped these at humans, various effects from fire and ice bombs to miniature tornadoes and hurricanes would spawn from them. Luckily for him these pegasi aimed almost exclusively for larger clusters of humans. Other pegasi carried unicorns in there legs who would shoot long beams of magic across the ground. These pony pairs were much easier to shoot down as they were considerably slower and flew in more predictable paths.

For a while he couldn't find the same powerful unicorn he'd seen before, but a few minutes later his location was given away. Hudd was bashing a unicorn into ground when what look like a dark blue flare shot into the sky and exploded like a firework. Except for color, it was identical to the one the unicorn had launched earlier.

He put in a another mag from his black tactical vest when he noticed something floating in the air a few yards in front of his path. When he focused on it he saw it was a glowing blue orb that was spinning rapidly.

Hudd knew what was coming and stopped in his tracks.

"Wait!" He yelled to the people around him who kept going.

Seconds later the orb exploded. A powerful shockwave spread across the ground sending people that had been closest flying backwards. A blinding light made Hudd cover his eyes and when he opened them again a dark blue pony larger than the others was floating in the air. Princess Luna. Her eyes were white with a blue aura rising from her feet and lightning flashing from small storm clouds that had formed over her. She was clearly very pissed.

"Which one of you killed my sister!?" She yelled in the loudest voice he'd ever heard her use.

"Lunnnnnaaaaaa!" Someone shouted like always when she showed up. Those around her began shooting, but of course it was ineffective. In a flash she hit one in the chest with a powerful rear kick and sent him tumbling backwards twenty feet. Another she enclosed in her magic and sent hundreds of yards into sky before releasing him.

Hudd fought the urge to stick his hand in the air in response to her question and instead paid her no attention at all. He ran to his left and yelled at others to not engage her.

"Not this time, bitch." He said to himself. Months ago he had learned that there was in fact a way to hurt alicorns. Now they were not as helpless as they had previously been against her.

"Aaron!" he shouted at the top of his lungs. "Dammit, Aaron, where the fuck are you?!" Far behind him Luna was wreaking havoc. She'd started soaring upwards and coming back down again riding a giant, white ball of energy that resembled a tiny, bright moon. It would light the entire battlefield and made air many degrees colder. Any humans or ponies caught directly under it would shatter like ice.

."Aaron, there you are!" Hudd yelled relieved that he'd spotted him. Aaron was a decent marksman and was previously elected to handle the exact situation if it arose.

Aaron hit a pony to the ground with his rifle butt, then lit him up. Hudd moved towards him and reached into one of the pockets on his vest and pulled out the only magazine that was not for his pistol. The curved mag had two small red squares painted on each side, meaning it contained the special rounds. Bullets coated in dried blood of the other alicorn they'd encountered.

"Cover me."Aaron said once Hudd had reached him. He loaded the mag into his HK416 and took aim at Luna as she was rising up for another attack. Hudd watched their perimeter and shot a pegasus out of the sky that had been carrying a unicorn.

"Make them count." Hudd said as Aaron tracked Luna's rapid descent. "We don't have that many."

As Luna got closer and closer to the ground, the ball of energy started to develop. She was about to bring it down on top of a large group of people when Aaron fired four times. There was loud scream and the magic sphere dispersed harmlessly into the ground with a bit of dark smoke. When it cleared Luna was nowhere to be found.

"She teleported, find her!" Hudd shouted as he checked the sky around him.

"There!" Aaron said as he took aim again. She was now much farther away in the sky and flying towards the Castle beyond the city a few hundred yards away. He took one shot, then another, but it was no use. She was too far away and her flight path dropped and rose unpredictably like a mosquito. It was due to one of the bullets going through one of her wings. Her right front leg had also been hit and hung awkwardly. "I got her!" He shouted when he had seen the damage. "Shes hurt."

"Keep that magazine handy." Hudd told him as he watched Luna get closer to the castle and quite possibly medical attention. "We are going to finish her off once and for all; no way shes getting out of it this time. Now come, were almost to the bridge."

It was true too. Less than 50 yards in front of him the river rushed across the plain. It was way too fast to cross as it continued into a waterfall that fell over the mountain side. The bridge was the only way to cross and right now it being guarded heavily by a few hundred ponies who had fallen back. The bridge itself was also completely full of ponies that hadn't even moved yet. Hudd began to move in towards it, but the ponies where determined to keep the humans away from it.

Pegasi were showing there effectiveness. They rose far above the battlefield and dropped their bombs on anyone below. Only a few still carried unicorns with them and they were still using their magic to halt the human advance. Anybody who stopped to take aim at them became perfect targets for unicorns and earth ponies on the ground.

The earth ponies had upped their game from bucking to chucking spears. The weaker unicorns would make shields large enough to protect three ponies: themselves, a stronger unicorn for offense and an earth pony to throw spears.

They ponies weren't extraordinarily accurate, but a couple or so would hit their targets in the stomach or legs. To counter this grenade launchers came into use. They could get projectiles behind the shields and take out the unicorns that created them.

As pony numbers began to dwindle, Hudd continued to move up and forgot about one other method of defense, the ballistae on the wall.

At the current range most humans were easy targets. Most of the bolts they used were magic and would split into multiples on their downward arc. Many people had been run through with replicates as they tried to avoid the original. They were still able to move up, but progress was slow.

Hudd was still determined though. He could see the gate that separated him from Canterlot. He continued to charge forward at his same pace. Any pony that wasn't behind a shield was pummeled and shot by him. When he spotted the same powerful unicorn from before shouting orders at certain ponies, he was filled with more energy.

However as he got closer to the bridge, things became too overwhelming for him to handle himself. He was taking on three and four ponies at a time, while dodging pegasi and unicorn magic.

It all ended, however as he happened to look up. A ballista bolt had just been fired and had a red-ish glow to it as it cut through the air towards him. He ran a few yards to the side fearing it would split, but instead it took on another effect.

When the bolt launched it was the about the size of a railroad track. However when it came down suddenly enlarged to the sized of the locomotive. Hudd's eyes widened at the enormous piece of pointed metal that zoomed in his direction.

"Shit!" Hudd exclaimed as he dived as best he could out of the way. When it hit the ground, it dug in deep and dirt and rocks were thrown in huge quantities from the impact. As the hunk of metal slowed, it carved a deep long trench along the ground. Seconds later when it finally fell still, pieces of earth still fell from the sky.

Hudd was still alive, though his legs were buried under a mound of dirt and other material. His eyes were open, but for a few moments he was completely disoriented. While in this state he could see the unicorn in control staring at him. The pony seemed to realize who Hudd was and began to walk over to him with his horn light brightly. He was only a couple yards away when something happened that Hudd did not see coming.

He was laying on his stomach with the side of his face on the ground. He could feel the ground starting rumble. As the seconds went on, it got more and more noticeable. A quick glance to the unicorn in purple armor showed that he felt it too. He uneasily looked at his shaking hooves and then to something beyond the now distant check point building. The pony started to retreat, but not before flashing a evil look of "next time." to Hudd.

When Hudd pulled himself free he could hear something behind him. An engine, a damn powerful one by the sound of it. For a moment the battle was put on pause as humans and ponies looked back to the building.

Seemingly out of absolutely nowhere, a large green and brown tank made an appearance over the top of the hill. It continued at full speed to where the fight now took place. Everyone had been watching in awe as it moved closer, but only when the gunner starting firing the Machine gun at the ponies, was everyone snapped out of it. Back on the hill, around four dozen soldiers in dark green combat uniforms rushed onto the scene. They looked exactly like Russians that had flown to their base months ago in the States.

They ran in past most of the other humans and started the battle up again. A hole was made for the tank which didn't stop for a pair of unicorns who thought that their shields would protect them from it. The huge cannon was taking out the balistae on the wall like they were constructed of sticks. The machine gunner was tearing ponies into pieces that attempted to form some kind of stand against it in front of the bridge.

As the troops moved up, Hudd stopped one of them.

"Who are you guys with, Severov?" He asked one of them.

The soldier blinked at him. "You know of Severov?" He asked with heavy Russian accent. "Are you the man called 'Hudd'?" Hudd nodded and then soldier smiled at him. "Commander Severov spoke of you. He sends his regards. Stay close to the tank while we take the bridge."

Hudd liked that idea stayed close behind it as it gingerly moved onto the bridge. At first he wasn't sure it could take the weight, but it managed to hold strong.

"Fall back! Fall back!" He could hear the commanding unicorn shout to his remaining troops between lapses in machine gun fire. The ponies scrambled back into the city as gates closed, but it mattered not. The tank simply blew the gates apart in a single shot.

It crawled over the rubble of the mangled metal gates and was the first to enter the Canterlot, the capital city of Equestria. Hudd was among the first people on foot to enter the city. He would be followed by a bridge full of surviving humans who were waiting to get in themselves.

Now they take the city.