• Published 12th Jun 2013
  • 11,259 Views, 231 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: New Tactics Part III - no sh*t sherlock



Conversion Bureaus are over and Humans are going to take back whats theirs

  • ...
39
 231
 11,259

Chapter 11: Assessment (Brief)

Chapter 11: Assessment (Brief)

2 Days Later...

Hudd was sat inside a check point building on the pony's rail line. The roof was a little low, but in his folding chair, he didn't have to crouch. He had nodded off about an hour ago and now coming out of it. He took a quick look out the window behind him to see if something had changed outside. Once again the view took his breath away. Out of the window, about mile away, was the great Pony city of Canterlot.

Yesterday they'd been picked up by their VTOL's and landed outside of the city. As they were coming in, a huge mass of ponies was forming outside of the city's wall. It was their final force, the last of their defense.

Hudd turned quickly as the door opened and Rebbeca stepped inside. "Bit cramped in here." she said as she arched her back and tilted her head from the ceiling.

"It'll make do." Hudd said. "Lets take another look." He turned back around to the window and took his binoculars from around his neck. Rebbeca joined him with her own.

They peered past an open field to a large, wide bridge that was completely filled with armored ponies. The majority couldn't fit on the bridge, so they spilled out and formed ranks in the field instead.

"My god..." Rebbeca said in disbelief. "How many you think are there?!"

"Few thousand." Hudd said. He wasn't surprised at the number. This was their capital city, this was their last stand.

"See what they're guarding?" Rebbeca asked. Hudd looked beyond the bridge to a door at least three stories high. He looked along the rest of the wall and saw no opening.

"Its just like the pony told us. Its the only way inside the city." Hudd said. When they were back in Ponyville, the injured pony they found had told them more than just about their ambush.

"Look above it, along the wall." she said.

Hudd examined the top of the wall. More ponies stood atop it with spears ready to launch and anything below them. Worse yet, every few dozen yards at the top of the wall was a gap. In the spaces were giant ballistae. Huge bolts were at the ready.
"We'll have to take those down." He said.

"We could have marksmen do it, take out any who try to operate it." Rebbeca offered.

"There's too many of them, another pony would just take their place. It think its a good target for the mortars." Hudd looked far to the right and confirmed something else the pony had told him. Canterlot's wall connected with the mountain side, the face of which was nearly vertical and impossibly high. A waterfall descended quickly along the face. It formed the river the bridge crossed. It flowed faster than any rapids he had ever seen.

"No one can go in that water." He said and pointed her over to the far left side. A steep cliff that led to another waterfall was the cause of the rivers speed. "On the right is a mountain, and the left is a cliff. The only way to get in in straight forward, just like he said."

Hudd looked higher, beyond the city. Canterlot castle was far in the distance, but its many towers were still visible.

"That's where they'll be. " He said.

"Who?"

"The ponies responsible for all of this. Princess Luna, Twilight Sparkle, they'll all be in there. That's where we'll go when we attack."

"Speaking of which, when will we?" She asked. Hudd checked his watch.

"Its almost seven in the evening now, so I'm thinking tomorrow. After the last round of transports, well have, what, 1,600 people? I'd rather hit them now and not give them anymore time to prepare."

Rebbeca nodded. "Very well, I'll tell them to get a good nights sleep. Tomorrow we hit them."

***************

The Same Moment...

Shining Armor looked out from a balcony at Canterlot castle. He was utilizing a powerful pair of magic binoculars which allowed him to see farther and with greater detail than with an ordinary pair. He was watching his forces progress as they prepared for what looked to be their final battle. This was not the first time the City was to be under attack. Before he was born it had stood tall against the Griffon's failed siege. Over a decade ago it had held up against an internal changeling invasion, although, admittedly that victory belonged to his sister and his wife.

His main motivation to defend Canterlot would be to keep them safe. Cadence was, for the moment, safe in the Crystal Kingdom, but Twilight was resting in his quarters at the Castle. She was getting much better, but still couldn't be completely on her own yet.

"Hey." Storm Hammer's voice came from behind him.

"How'd it go?" Shining asked.

"Luna's on board." He said flatly. "She'll fight when the time comes. "

"Excellent!" Shining said. "We'll need her."

"Anything else? Sir." Storm Hammer spit out the last part. After the complete disaster in Ponyville, it was a unanimous decision that he be removed and Shining Armor be in charge of Canterlot's defense. Needless to say, Storm Hammer was not happy. He now reported to Shining, something he despised doing, but did it anyway.

Shining Armor sighed. He really didn't have time to care about how Storm Hammer felt. "How are things outside?"

"4,800 prepared to fight and die outside the wall and another 1,500 inside. 6 trebuchets ready behind the wall, and 12 Ballistae along the top of it. Our war balloon are ready to drop magic bombs on your say so. Whats going on out there?"

Shining turned and took another look. "Can't really tell, the mountain side slopes down, so I can't see how many they have, but every 45 minutes or so their aircraft drop off a few dozen more. "He scanned closer and passed an old rail security checkpoint. "Wait a sec... Looks like some humans have the same idea." He held the binoculars up to Storm Hammer. Two humans with binoculars were in the window. They weren't looking at them, most likely observing activity on the wall.

"Hmm." Storm Hammer grunted.

Shining thought for minute as he continued to watch the humans. "Do you think its enough?" He asked finally.

"What?"

"Our defense, do you think it will be enough?"

"Honestly?" Storm Hammer had no emotion. "No. I don't think it's enough. I think our defense will be an exercise in futility. Their technology is simply too advanced. It gives them too much of an advantage. Not even magic can come close to equalizing it. I once thought it could, but clearly I was wrong. Sure we might be able to hold out for a little while, but sooner or later even this great castle will fall. It is hopeless. It will be the single greatest defeat in the history of our kind... and it will come at your hooves. Congratulations, Captain."

Author's Note:

Brief chapter. The final battle is coming.