• Published 8th Jun 2013
  • 712 Views, 24 Comments

Pushing Daisies: Pie-lette - SoulboundAlchemist



A pony who can wake the dead, solving murders in a way no one else will ever be able to do.

  • ...
2
 24
 712

Chapter Two: The Confession

The Pie Maker never returned to Ponyville after being sent away to school, but he thought of Chuck every day. At this very moment, the Pie Maker and PI Emerson Cod were on a train en route to the historic town.

“You know this mare?” the PI questions.

“I know of her” the Pie Maker replies, staring ahead and hoping his feelings aren’t obvious.

“Know her in the Biblical sense?”

“Haven’t thought of her since I was ten.”

“Think of her a lot when you were ten?”

“Don’t…remember anything when I was ten…”

The Pie Maker remembers everything.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

The facts were these. Charlotte Sparkle twenty-eight years, twenty-four weeks, three days, eleven hours and fifty-one minutes old, was found buried in a snowdrift, deep within the Frozen North, moments after her body was discarded there. Discarded by whom seemed to be a question only Charlotte Sparkle could answer.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Murder was rare in this area of Equestria; with the majority of the inhabitants being Celestian and following the Creed of Harmony with almost everypony being friends with each other, murder was a foreign concept to them. So when the murder of somepony within a tightly knit community, such as Ponyville’s, occurs, the townsponies usually bar their doors and windows waiting for the perpetrator to be caught. But, because the murdered pony in question was a descendent of Princess Twilight Sparkle (who happens to live in the nearby library), the ponies decided it would be better to attend young Chuck’s funeral, leaving the Pie Maker and Cod to trot their way through the deserted streets of Ponyville to the library
The Pie Maker and Cod trotted into the Ponyville Funeral Home, ready to discover who, or what killed Chuck. At the same time, the funeral director, who coincidentally was one of the few atheist ponies in town, was off stealing heirlooms off of dead bodies. Always eager to supplement his income, he was more than eager to grant the deceased an audience, for the low price of fifty bits.

As the Pie Maker and the PI entered the room that held Charlotte Sparkle’s casket, the Pie Maker grew anxious…and Cod noticed.

“Um, I just wanna…I wanna…can I do this one alone on account of the, you know…historical context?” the Pie Maker asked.

“Got something personal you need to say?” the PI retorted suspiciously.

“No.”

Cod only looked at him, knowing full well that the Pie Maker did have something personal he wanted to say.

“Ok, maybe. But I’ve nothing to gain but a small amount of closure.”

“Whatcha got so open that needs closing?”

“I, uh, just…wanna say I’m sorry for something. One of those stupid things kids do they don’t know they’re doing.”

“Yeah, well, you ask who killed her first.”

“Ok.”

“You’ve only got a minute.”

“I know.”

“Sixty seconds.”

“I know.”

“Alright.”

And with that, Cod left the room, closing the door silently behind him. The Pie Maker, here-to-for known as Ned while alone with Chuck, trotted over to the simple casket, and lifted the lid to reveal Chuck’s face. Only Prince Charming would know how Ned felt upon looking at her. Great thought was taken as to where to touch her. The lips? Too forward. The cheek? The cheek. Ned touched her very gently on the cheek, and as soon as the golden flash faded, he found his face being slammed into the casket lid. She then jumped out of the casket and galloped to the other side of the room, picking up a chair with her magic ready to throw.

“Chuck, wait!”

“Who are you?” Chuck asked, confused as to how some stallion she had never met before knew her childhood nickname.

“Do you remember a little foal who lived next door to you when your dad died?”

“Ned?” She said, her eyes widening in surprise. “Oh my Celestia, hey, how are you?”

Ned smiled, “good, you look great, um, do you know what’s happening? Like right now?”

“I had the strangest dream. I was being strangled to death with a plastic sac.”

“You were strangled to death with a plastic sac. It’s probably a bad thing to hear, but I wasn’t quite sure how to sugar coat it.”

“Oh.” Chuck suddenly realized where she had been laying prior to her recent revival. “Oh!”

“We only have a minute. Less.”

“What can I do in less than a minute?”

“Well, you can tell me who killed you so, you know, justice can be served.”

“That’s really sweet and all, but I don’t know who killed me. I went to go get ice and I dropped my room key in the ice maker. As I was thinking ‘that was dumb’…”

As she was thinking ‘that was dumb’, Chuck was strangled to death with a plastic sac.

“…and then you touched my cheek,” finished Chuck. “You know, I can say things for myself, Mr. Narrator.”

Ned looked around confused. “Uh, Chuck? Who are you talking to?”

“Not important.”

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK.

“Just a second!” Ned called.

Chuck looked down at the floor. “Is my time up?”

“I’m sorry.”

“Well, thanks for calling me ‘Chuck’. You know, no one’s called me ‘Chuck’ since…since you.”

“They used to,” Ned said, his voice choking with emotion. “When I lived next door to you, I had a cru- I was in…you were my first kiss.”

Chuck smiled. “Yeah? You were my first kiss too.”

Ned smiled at the memory.

“You wanna be my last kiss? First and last? Or is that weird?”

“That’s not weird. It’s magical.”

Chuck’s minute of life was nearly over. The two leaned towards each other, Chuck ready to move on. Ned, however, went as far as he could without touching her, but stopped. He couldn’t will himself to go any further. And as a consequence, the thieving funeral director would go no further; across the hall, he rushed his way to the facilities, closing and locking the door behind him. No one would find him until the next day.

Back in the room, Ned backed away. Chuck opened her eyes and smiled. “Hey, if you don’t want to kiss me, that’s OK, I just thought it might be…”

“I do, I want to, I…” Ned steeled himself, and plunged in. “What if you didn’t have to be dead?”

Chuck’s face lit up. “That would be preferable!”

Ned smiled as the gears in his mind working on a plan of action.

“No one can know.”

“No one can know what?”

Ned and Chuck whirled around to find Princess Twilight Sparkle standing in the doorway, her face filled with shock, wonder, confusion and anger all at once.

“I’ll ask you again,” the princess said. “No one can know what?”

The Pie Maker’s mind raced as he tried to come up with an answer, and settled with the truth.

“Well, you see princess, uh, I can bring ponies back to life, and I’ve been using that gift to ask ponies who have been
murdered who killed them.”

The princess just stared at him, like he lost mind. But, the fact that her dead descendent was now standing before her, quite clearly alive, along with her experience with Pinkie Pie’s antics years ago, she decided to just go with it.

“Alright, if that’s the case, who killed her?”

“Well, that’s the thing; she didn’t see who it was that killed her.”

“OK, what do you plan to do about that?”

The Pie Maker thought about this for a moment, and realized he hadn’t thought that far ahead.

“Well, I was gonna start by getting Chuck out of here. I…hadn’t really thought through what we’d do after that.”

Twilight nodded. “I see. So you weren’t thinking about trying to catch the killer?”

“Um, well, not really, no.”

“I see. You should hide her in the coffin and get your friend to go before you try to get her out of here.”

The Pie Maker was bewildered. He had expected the princess to make Chuck go with her back to the Library.

“Um, I thought you would-“

“That I would make you kill her again, or take her back to the Library?”

“Well, yes. Why would you want her going with me?”

“I’ve been trying to get Charlotte to leave her home with her aunts for many years; this is a perfect opportunity for just that,” Twilight replied with a knowing smile. “You should probably hurry; your friend will be coming in the next couple minutes. Oh, and one more thing. I expect you to find the pony that did this. Also, I expect to be allowed to visit her, where will she be staying?”

“The Crystal Empire. Just find the Pie Hole, and you’ll find Chuck.”

Twilight nodded, and disappeared in a flash of violet light.

“OK, you heard the princess, hop in,” Ned said gesturing to the now empty coffin.

“OK” Chuck jumped into the coffin, and pretended to be dead once again.

“Just, stay real still until I get back.”

Ned closed the lid of the coffin and left the room, bumping into Cod, just as he was about to knock.

“Doesn’t know. Didn’t know,” the Pie Maker said before Cod had a chance to ask.

“So somepony just threw her carcass off the air ship and just, why are you sweating?”

“Uh, it’s warm in there.”

“Your eye is twitching.”

“My eye?”

“Your eye. Is twitching. When ponies aren’t being honest their eye twitches.”

Right on cue, the Pie Maker’s eye twitches once again.

“Right there. Like yours just did now.”

“It’s nerves, it’s like acid reflux, but with my eye.”

Cod wasn’t convinced, and it showed on his face.

“I think I’m gonna stay for the service,” the Pie Maker said after a silence that seemed to last for an eternity, but in reality, it was only a few seconds.

“Is that so?”

“Just feeling nostalgic. Do you remember how to get back to the train station? It’s down the uh…I’ll catch you later boss.”

Cod stood there for a moment, still suspicious that something else was going on, shrugged, and left, as the Pie Maker re-entered the room he had left Chuck’s coffin in, only to find the room empty, and the flimflammobile that the coffin had just been loaded into, on its way to the cemetery.

Author's Note:

And there you are, the second chapter, and the first deviation away from the original story of the first Pushing Daisies episode. Please tell me what you think and don't forget to give the story a thumbs up if you like it.

-D

Comments ( 15 )

is this off a t.v. show ? there was a show that I used to watch that was like this, it was awesome:twilightsheepish: I'm sad it is gone!:raritycry:
th05.deviantart.net/fs70/150/i/2012/236/c/c/i_have_no_friends_now_by_chirin98-d5cauan.jpg

At least you could have ponified the names...

3575413
Yes t is a retelling of the first episode of the tv show Pushing Daisies.

3575822
Indeed, I was sad to see it go :fluttercry:

3618831
This was my first real attempt at fanfiction, so I'm sure you can understand why this story isn't exactly polished.

3618963 So is my story. You can always take the time to go back to make something better out of this.

I CAN expect updates, right?

5201876
I'm afraid not. Unless someone convinces me otherwise, this story is canceled.

5203314
Mostly because I feel very insecure about what I've written for it thus far. Let me explain. This was not my first MLP fanfiction, its actually my second. However, my first fanfic was so poorly received that I became rather depressed and paranoid about this one. So, its more of a self-esteem problem rather than a lack of ideas problem...

5203387 but this story is in my top 5 at 3!

5209081
I might bring this back when I'm done with Puella Magi Twilight Magica, but no guarantees, after all, I've got three more stories planned for my 'Magica-verse'

Comment posted by Luna-tic deleted Oct 31st, 2014
Login or register to comment