• Published 8th Jun 2013
  • 813 Views, 11 Comments

The Trancer - Ajaxis



A zebra leaves her home to make a reputation for herself, discovering allies and enemies among her kin and the droves of ponies slowly claiming her planet for their own.

  • ...
4
 11
 813

7. Whence One Came

"Focus, girl." Dunnur said, in what most thought was encouragement. "Focus, and accept the heat." A younger Zuri's eyes were aglow, as she stared intensely at the wide bowl with rippling water in it. Her body was getting hotter and hotter, yet she was unworried. She had done this before, frequently, gradually taking more and more of the heat into her body, and out of the water. Dunner, wiry and middle-aged, lay on a thin cushion to her left, watching her progress with hidden intent, his silver-grey mane combed down neatly to either side of his head in a fashion adopted by most Elders of Otoul.

Zuri inhaled and exhaled slowly, tense with concentration. The water's rippling was slowing with every second, as the Trancer apprentice gradually sucked out all the heat, making her internal temperature rise. She was sweating by the time the water grew still, and gasping for cool air when the bowl's contents suddenly froze over. Dunnur let out a contemplative hm! and Zuri relaxed a little, still gasping slightly. The filly was tired, as any should be at that age; a young child hardly had the energy a full grown, fully-trained Trancer had. So, it made her all the happier when Dunnur spoke, "Well done, girl. You've shortened the time it took by minutes. It took you seconds, this time. I expect the next attempt to be shorter, if you want to learn The Sight."

"Yes, Sir Teacher." Zuri panted obediently, smiling slightly as she bowed her head in respect. One always was respectful to The Dunner, especially if one was his student.

"Do not, however, think that this separates you from the others, little Sara." He continued, his tone becoming more stern. "Oun-Drii only defines class outside of this room. I know you were arguing with your fellow students yesterday."

"I am sorry, Sir Teacher." Zuri said, flinching at the memory, and began to explain, "They were mocking my parents. I was honor-bound to defend them."

"You are not honor-bound to do anything, little Sara girl." Dunnur's tone was stern, and reprimanding. "You are a mere child, you have no obligations other than to learn. Though as I understand it, you won the argument through words and not force. Is that true?" Zuri nodded slowly, still unsure of Dunnur's intent of bringing this up. "Well I can't very well trust your saying. You're only a child, and children lie, but mine eyes do not." He did not speak, probably expecting her to respond in some way. She did not, save for looking up at him. She was no longer panting, having mostly recovered from the trancing. He was look at her with his analytical expression, his lips pursed in thought. After another moment or two, he let out, "Hm! Well, no reason to stay here longer, girl. Lessons are over, you've strained your gift enough for the day, working on this bowl of water."

"Yes, Sir Teacher. Thank you, Sir Teacher." Zuri said, bowing herself out of Dunnur's tall house, and into the streets of Otoul's Oun-Drii district.

Otoul was a big place, fitting, since it was the seat of economy and culture, though bodies of law—Arbiters and the like—had difficulty passing between cities at this time of year. Samā was the most dangerous season, for those Zebras who lived in Palosol's deserts. One couldn't take a step outside without getting sunburnt and a rash from the sand hitting the side of your body, usually tearing any clothing off. It went on for five thirty-day-long months, until it finally began to settle. Then the Gau-Aer could trade again, the Arbiters could move, Trancers could explore or do the bidding of their elders, Alchemists could recieve their ingredients, etc. It was why the following five-month season was called Midzwei, meaning Returning to normal.

Zuri passed several Zebras on the wide, smooth, but dusty streets of her caste's district. Some waved at her, some others nodded in respect or cordiality. She always thought it was funny. Her fellow filly and colt would always say hello, or at least offer to include her in a game of Seeker-Sneaker, as she walked by. While most Zebras who recognized the bright gold rings around her neck that bore her family's crest showed her a level of politeness that she felt was most fit for boring formal gatherings. So she found it much more satisfying when a pair of Gau-Aer merchants crossing the road jumped a little, seeing the large ring about her neck.

"Stars. They let her scamper about in front of us?" One merchant said to the other. Zuri stopped before them, brushing her mane out of her face to stare up at the two adults.

"Heir of House Sara, if that colt is married off like they planned. Hello, young Oun-Drii Lady, how do you fair?"

"Well and good, Sir and Madam Merchant." Zuri said, adding a little too much ornate inflection in her voice to be wholly taken seriously. She wasn't quite at the age where she realized her status and the amount by which she out-ranked most Zebras. For added effect, she half-mocked a curtsey. "And how fair you during Samā?"

"Her speech is excellent for her apparent age. Forgru was not lying after all." Said one to the other, before she addressed Zuri directly. "Most respectfully, My Lady, how old are you?"

"I am in early pubescence, Madam Merchant." Zuri said without batting an eyelid. "How old are you?" She couldn't help a smile.

"Young and well enough, My Young Lady." She said after a pause, obviously a little taken aback by the child's suddenly froward question. Zuri knew it wasn't polite to ask a grown Zebra that question, but she thought it funny how they responded when she did.

"You best be on your way, My Young Lady." The other Merchant said, smiling slightly behind his partner's back. "Your family best know where you are at most times of day."

Zuri nodded, smiling, as she quickly departed and continued on her way to the tall set of buildings that was the Oun-Drii Sara estate.

———

Zuri awoke feeling only slightly groggy, and found herself on a a softly cushioned bed in one of the train cars. The Zebra pushed her mane out of her face with one hoof, blinking her eyes to acclimate to the light. The light hummed from electric lights all along the train car’s ceiling. It was night outside. There was the constant growl and hum of the train moving along the rail at an alarming speed. She looked around. The bed rested on a large crate, and looked to be much more comfortable than the floor. There were crates all around her, piled up, some draped with cloth, some with weapons or other equipment protruding out of them.

Zuri sat up, and climbed down off of the crate. Her cloak was nearby, but she did not feel that she needed it. She was apparently among friends, if they had taken the time to give her decent bedding. The Trancer moved to look out one window, pressing her nose against the glass pane. It was dark, but the light of the train illuminated flatlands and hills to her. It reminded her of the desert, only with more plants, which were hard to make out. The speed of the train turned them into green blurs.

Zuri turned, and walked to the door. It slid open automatically in front of her. Like before, there was a group of Ponies talking, but instead of firing at her, they waved and smiled, greeting her as warmly as her brother did. She, blinking, attempted a smile, which they received happily. They made way for her as she walked by, and her smile changed to a look of perplexity. The mercenaries had not looked so happy to see her before, especially not when Rainbow Dash announced her importance to the job. Perhaps their opinion of her changed when she proved useful in taking the train. That seemed the most likely.

The next car held more evidence to support this. There were benches on either wall of the car, and bunks mounted on the tall ceiling, likely for the guards to use to rest. Uzul lay on one bench, with Rainbow Dash facing him. Zuri could not see what they were doing. Druva sat nearby, speaking quietly with a most bizarre animal. Black chitin-skin, bug-wings, fangs…

The Changeling noticed Zuri first, and held up a holed hoof, pointing at the Trancer. Another stallion looked up. He was the big red one she had fought, which startled Zuri at first, before she realized Druva was standing up to walk towards her with the red stallion next to her.

“Zuri, you’re awake!” Druva exclaimed excitedly, and ran to briefly embrace her. This surprised Zuri, but she accepted the hug all the same. The large stallion was looking down at her, his face unreadable. The alchemist drew away, still smiling. “I never got to really thank you.”

Zuri was confused. Why all the sudden happiness out of taking down a few ponies? “All I did was help steal a train,” she said, shrugging.

“Not that!” Druva said, shaking her head. “You freed me. You got me out of New Dodge Junction, alive and with all my things.”

Zuri blushed a little. “I was already thanked for that.”

“Uzul did. I didn’t. I was stuck in there longer than him. I had to deal with Ramrod and his minions longer, and you got me out. I never got to thank you properly.”

Zuri smiled, and felt both humbled and gratified at the same time. “It was the right thing to do. And now you’re the closest thing to a friend I have, besides Uzul.”

“Closest? Zuri, have you ever even had any friends? I think I’m the first one.” Druva chuckled. “From how you’ve acted, you’re more used to settling disputes than you are setting up bridges.” Her chuckle turned to a laugh. “I’m a friend to an Oun-Drii Lady! My mother would be proud of my accomplishments, I can tell you. And, uh...” She leaned in to whisper in Zuri’s ear. “Uzul might have more than us for friends now. He and that Pegasus get along like a boat on water. Odd, isn’t it?”

Zuri smirked, both at Druva’s subtle joke and how red Uzul’s cheeks were as his gaze went from Rainbow to her. “Oh, and this is Big Macintosh,” Druva said, gesturing to the red stallion, who nodded to Zuri.

“Ah’m awful sorry Ah hit ya so hard, ma’am,” he began, looking somber. “Ah understand what you were tryin’ to do. Workin’ for Rainbow Dash means ya do some weird things, but, Ah can forgive her for it, and forgive you for carryin’ out her directions.”

“To be clear,” Zuri said, frowning. “I’m not so much working for Rainbow Dash as much as us both benefitting from helping one another, or so I was lead to believe.”

“Well, either way, Ah apologize, and Ah hope it’s accepted,” he finished, smiling shyly at her.

“There’s one other introduction to make, since we’re gonna be on this train for a bit,” Druva said, prodding Big Macintosh out of the way to make way for the insectile equine with holes in her hooves, hair, and wings. “This is Chrys. She is what Rainbow Dash calls a Changeling.”

Chrys was a little shorter than Zuri. Zuri looked down at her in mild confusion and interest. The Changeling looked back at her, a timid expression on her face. “Someone told me you’re the reason I’m free,” she said, quietly, so that her odd voice would not alarm. She got closer, her green, slitted eyes glowing. “Thank you, Zebra. Thank you.” There was meaningful gratitude in the creature’s voice, but Zuri couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something else there too, some other unplaced emotion. Positive, surely, but still hard to read. She shrugged the feeling off. The animal looked so strange, but so happy. Best not to muck up that happiness with suspicion.

Zuri smiled at her, and nodded. “You are welcome,” she said simply. This got a smile out of the Changeling, as she backed shyly away, and took a seat back on one of the benches, giggling quietly and fluttering her wings.

“Hey, Zuri!” Rainbow Dash called, having turned her head and waving her wing in greeting. “Get over here! Got something to say.”

Zuri approached the Pegasus, who was still beside Uzul. Uzul smiled up at her, though he was blushing. Rainbow was wearing a happy grin on her face. “So, Zuri. We’re right on track,” she said, cheerily.

“I can see that,” Zuri nodded.

“I mean that multiple ways. We’re ‘on track’ to Paradise City.” She gestured with a wing to one of the nearest windows. “But I’m also ‘on track’ with someone else.” By way of suggestion, she poked Uzul in the ear with a wing. Uzul winced, his face reddening. “And I’m asking you, since you’re technically the reason he’s here, if you’re gonna have any problem with me snugging up to Uzul here!”

Zuri had to think. It was definitely funny to see Uzul so flustered, but, the actual idea of a Pony with a Zebra… something about it made her itch. Zebras and Ponies were different, so very different. Most Ponies were scumbags. Rainbow Dash, though not a scumbag, seemed eccentric and sometimes over-enthusiastic. Then, something struck her, and she said, “Why are you asking me?”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “You just seem the most against Ponies, just because so much crap has been thrown at you so quickly. I mean, am I wrong?”

“I think Druva experienced worse for longer at their hooves than I did.” Zuri said.

“Yeah, but she already gave me her encouragement. What about you?”

“I…” Zuri heaved a sigh. “I don’t care. Just don’t have sex with him, his caste isn’t supposed to do that unless he’s married. It could dishonor him, his family, and you.”

“Why me?” Rainbow asked, furrowing her brow.

“Because everyone will know you instigated it,” Zuri smiled at her, and she frowned, flicking her tail. It got Uzul to chuckle though, through his brilliant blush.

“Look, we’ll probably be going our separate ways when we reach the city,” Rainbow Dash said, changing the subject. “So I wanted to say—thanks. I know I would have lost Ponies if I sent anyone else in, but you and Uzul, you’re better shots than any of us, and Druva has abilities nopony else does. Gilda literally drove this outfit into the ground because she was such a bad leader, so I was stuck with a bunch of great hardware, but nopony that knew how to use it right. You didn’t even need anything, and you did it so willingly. So, thanks. You’re a good friend to have, I’m sure.” So much gratitude could make a Zebra swell with pride, but Zuri just felt bashful. All the same, she smiled and acknowledged Rainbow’s appreciation.

“Oh,” came Chrys’ voice, and Zuri turned. The Changeling was peering with a wagging tail out the window. She smiled at Zuri as the Trancer came and looked out next to her.

“What is it?” Zuri asked her.

“The world is so large.” Chrys said, smiling slightly. “I never saw anything but the walls of that box. Now I’m free, and… I never knew it would be this big.”

“Neither did I,” Zuri agreed. “I spent almost all of my life underground up until today. I got lost in the sky when I saw it the first time.”

“The sky? You saw the sky?” Chrys looked at her, very excitedly. “What’s it like?”

She sounds like a child, she thought, as she looked at the bug-like animal. I asked the same questions before I ever saw it. “It’s big,” Zuri answered. “Big, and a wonderful blue color. There’s clouds, of all shapes and sizes, and they can look like animals, or tools, or anything, really. It goes on forever, until the next planet, I guess.” She pressed a hoof against the glass. “I don’t think I’ll ever think the underground is anywhere as good as the sky.”

“Because it’s free?” Chrys asked. That had been exactly what Zuri had been thinking. The sky was open and free, just like Chrys was now. Zuri just then realized the amount of freedom she had. She could go anywhere, and the only thing stopping her was Ponies. She could overcome that problem one way or another, as she, Druva and Uzul had so far. She didn’t have to go back to Otoul, or tell her family or her Elder anything. She didn’t have to lie. She didn’t have to go back at all. She could explore as much as she wanted, and that was what she had said she would do. That was exactly what she would do.

Zuri smiled at Chrys, and nodded. “Because it is free.” And now, so am I. “I am free.” Zuri liked the sound of that.

Chrys wandered off, apparently to continue enjoying her new freedom. Zuri, still feeling fatigue, felt it necessary to go back to sleep. Rainbow Dash offered her a bunk on one of the guard's barracks-cars. Fearing the lack of trustworthiness of certain, ahem, members of Rainbow's group, however, Zuri declined. On her way back to the car she had awoken in, Big Macintosh warned her that they would reach the Rock Pile in a few hours, and it would be best if she was awake by then, to hide herself. Hearing this, Druva laughed, and began to explain to Macintosh reasons why, if there was a seizure and searching of the train, that Zuri would probably be something found last, if at all.

The Trancer found the cloth atop the crate not very secure. Someone could easily open the door and fire a gun, or come up from behind and drive a knife into her neck, or worse. She eventually decided that a little alcove between a strapped down box and the wall was a better alternative, and snuggled in there. She used her cloak as a pillow, used to sleeping on hard surfaces. IT had been something she'd done quite often, while studying under Dunnur and attempting to learn at the pace he expected her to. Secure in the knowledge that it would be much harder for anyone to find and bother her, Zuri began to doze. As she did, several thoughts struck her almost at once, as if her mind was getting rid of anything potentially stress-inducing before she actually settled down for restful sleep.

First in her mind was what to do next. They would supposedly reach the rockpile, switch tracks, and go on to Paradise City. From there, She, Uzul, and Druva could find a Gau-Aer, and from them, reach their respective homes. Would it be that easy? Would Rainbow Dash actually let them go? Would some other mercenary decide they should give her trouble? Would helping Rainbow Dash be necessary in helping themselves, or the other way around, and Rainbow Dash would then request help in taking care of this Filthy Rich fellow? And that was just one set of things that could go bad. There was a whole other group of things that could go wrong, too. This ESSUG security Rainbow babbled about could break in at any moment. The Train could derail, or explode, somehow because of Rainbow's carelessness. Because she was too busy snuggling up to Uzul. Should she intervene? Would Uzul decide there was more than just flattery and hushed conversations between him and Rainbow, and would this decision affect their already existing journey at all?

Then came an interesting thought: If she had to play break-up between the two, should she–Ew.–attempt to seduce Uzul, or just talk him out of it? Would he need talking at all? Like most Arbiters, he must not be wholly comfortable with acting so... flightily amorous with this off-worlder. She would just have to see what things were like when light graced the planet again.

———

A younger Zuri approached her family's estate. It was comprised of two main buildings, connecting in bridges and passages. Two guards stood flanking the front doors. They both wore the Sara liveries, and nodded in respect and recognition as Zuri approached them. One of them turned to the door, and whispered three words under their breath to teh door, tracing the shape of a rune etched into the thick, wood-like door. It shimmered briefly, and the doors opened. Zuri walked right in, not jumping at all as the doors slammed shut behind her faster than the eye could follow.

"Agilis!" Zuri called out, and got her voice echoed back to her by the tall stone walls. A few Servants showed themselves briefly, and referred her to the garden (customary to have one for formal occasions for an Oun-Drii home) for Agilis. Agilis was Zuri's second elder brother. He did not have The Gift like she did, but was becoming a skilled Sand Trancer in his own right, though he was focussing more on Rune construction and enchanting. He'd become a Gau-Aer operator, at this rate. "Agilis, where are you? Mother said you couldn't hide from me just because you were drunk anymore!"

Agilis poked his head around a corner, blinking reddened eyes. His coat was grey and black stripes, a typical pair of colors, while his mane and tail were both all black. His eyes were a sparkling amber yellow, thought the whites around the irises were bloodshot. He sighed, "Oh, hi Zuri. Suppose it was impossible for me to hide for longer, hm?" He smiled slightly, walking over to her. He was significantly taller than his younger sister, almost as tall as any adult, but he was still a few years away from that.

"I'm returned from The Dunnur." Zuri began, full of youthful excitement. "He'll teach me All-Seeing, if I can freeze water quick enough."

"Mm?" Agilis perked his ears in interest, sitting back and gently rubbing one temple with a hoof. "Odd. I seem to remember Dunnur not showing me any All-Seeing rune for me to memorize. Much less, displaying the Mans to me." Mans being the term for a spell or ability triggered by Trancing, "Then again, I haven't The Gift, but you do."

Zuri nodded excitedly. "He says it will be my first step into the schools of Trodelei Manse," Zebric for higher Trancing magic, "if I can make water freeze in only a few moments, without his help."

"Hard to get the Dunnur to help, once he knows you can do something yourself. Like me drinking." Agilis groaned and leaned against the wall. "Father let me sample some of his brews. I should have guessed." Agilis' and Zuri's father was a talented Trancer alchemist, focussing his talents primarily on enchanting and creating drinkable concoctions. He had come from a highborn family, as Zuri's mother descended from Sara, where most the trancing talent came from in the family. "I should have guessed he'd give me something tampered with. Did I ever tell you that your brother is an idiot?"

Zuri smiled with childish laughter at her brother's discomfort. "The biggest idiot, besides Lebowa."

"Hey, don't talk about your big sister like that, Zuri!" Agilis chastised her, though the smile on his face betrayed him. "Only the brother standing in front of you, because he says he's an idiot already."

"I am oh-so-sorry, Big Brother." Zuri said, partially joking. "Next time I'll say it to her face, so she can hear it!" The clearing of a throat directed the siblings' attention to a Zebra descending a tall stone staircase. It was Gainu, Zuri's father. He was nearing old age, but the gray hairs were still thin. His eyes were a dull green, his stripes and hair were a snowy white and pitch black, and gleamed with fresh grooming.

"I think you, my daughter, know why that is wrong to say at any time." He said, his tone flat. Zuri immediately sat down, with a bowed head, and adjusted her mane. "You're a smart filly, and you work very hard to prove it. I don't see any reason why you'd want to say anything like that about your eldest sister."

"I'm sorry, father, I didn't mean anything..."

"Don't bother. I know what you mean, girl." Gainu motioned for Agilis to leave, which he did, quickly. He sat down in front of the little blue zebra in before him, holding her shoulders and looking her straight in the eye.

"Lebowa is going to marry into another family, but that is not all she intends to do. Her decision is not stupid, nor is anything else she does. You and she may not get along very well, but that is no reason to start calling her an idiot. By no stretch of the word are any of my children idiots." He sighed, shaking his head. "You are born with the Gift, the thing that will make you great, as great as my Grandfather, and your own mother! Lebowa, however, was not. You should show more respect for your future position, for your birthright. Insulting your sister for wanting something that can never be hers is not the way to do it."

"I am sorry, father." Zuri mumbled, hushed by her father's displeasure.

"I know you're sorry, but you don't have to apologize to me, do you? Wake up!"

"What?" Zuri blinked, as her father began vigorously shaking her.

"Come on, wake up. We need you to wake up, Zuri!" The world began to lose color, and Gainu's voice became higher pitched, more panicked, as Zuri was sucked out of her dream. Or... was it a memory? It didn't matter now. Everything was turning black as pitch. The floor beneath Zuri became a pedestal, as she was thrust up, up, towards a star in the endless black sky. It wasn't a star, but a hole into a white world. As Zuri met it, color came back overwhelmingly fast, as she was thrust once more into consciousness.