• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 13,104 Views, 282 Comments

Life in Equestria: Holidays with Toby - APoeticHeart



Collection of short stories of Toby celebrating the holidays in Equestria.

  • ...
16
 282
 13,104

A New Member in the Apple Family Tree

At the crack of dawn on Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack was wide awake getting ready to prepare for the annual Apple Family Reunion. She walked over to put on her cowboy hat on and trotted out of her room into the hallway. Before she went down into the den, she decided to trot to Applebloom’s room to see if she was awake.


She noticed the door was slightly opened and nudged it open with a hoof. Applebloom was just starting to get out of bed when she saw Applejack enter “good morning sis,” she greeted her older sister with a big smile.


“Good morning sugarcube. Are ya ready for the Apple Family Reunion today?” Applejack trotted up to her and rubbed at the top of her head.



“Ya bet Applejack, ah get to see Babs again,” she giggled as she smiled at Applejack.


“Haha… Ah knew ya would like seeing your cousin again,” she rubbed at the top of Applebloom’s head again. She looked at her “how would ya like to go get your little brother to see if he would like to join the reunion today? Ah am sure he would enjoy it,” she gave her a wink.


Applebloom beamed “ya bet sis. Ah know my little buddy would like to come, and also he would enjoy meeting Babs.”


Applejack gave a chuckle “well, ah’right then. Ya go get Toby, while me, Big Mac, and Granny Smith get the stuff ready when the Apple clan arrive,” she winked at Applebloom and trotted out of her room.


Applebloom beamed happily and thought to herself “Ah can’t wait for Toby to meet Babs,” as she trotted out of her room, down the stairs, and exited the house to make her way toward Fluttershy and Toby’s home.



Fluttershy was tending to her animals while her son was still sleeping peacefully upstairs. After giving the remaining animals their food, there was a knock at the door. Fluttershy had a curious look and trotted over to the door to open it revealing the yellow filly “um… good morning Applebloom. Please, come in dear,” she gave a warm smile as she stepped aside to let Applebloom trot inside.


“Morning’ Fluttershy, is Toby awake?” She asked with a big smile.


“Well… um… I was just going to go wake him up after I finished feeding the animals,” Fluttershy gave her a warm smile.


Applebloom put a hoof up “Ah know what Fluttershy, how about Ah go wake up my little brother?” She gave Fluttershy a hopeful smile.


She gave Applebloom a nod “um… okay Applebloom. I will go make him some breakfast,” she gave her a warm smile as Applebloom nodded and trotted upstairs while Fluttershy went into the kitchen.


As she reached the top of the stairs, Applebloom looked over at the sleeping child she smiled warmly “aww… he is so cute when he is sleeping,” she carefully trotted over to the bed and sat down on her haunches.


She reached up with a foreleg and stroked along his side as he was curled up underneath the blankets of Fluttershy’s bed. She reached over to the table beside the bed and gently grabbed his eyeglasses with a fore hoof. She leaned her head toward him and nuzzled at his cheek “hey little buddy, it’s time to wake up,” she spoke softly into his ear.


Toby stirred underneath the covers as he let out a soft yawn and blinked his open slowly. He reached up with his hands to rub at them as he tried to focus on the yellow and red blur in front of him “Applebloom?” He asked as he heard her voice.


“It sure is buddy,” she leaned the fore hoof holding his eyeglasses toward him “here ya go Toby.”


He reached out grab at them and put them on as he gave his big sister a warm smile “good morning Applebloom.” He looked around not seeing his mom, “big sister, where is Momma at?” He asked with a worried look.


She rubbed at his side “don’t worry little brother, Fluttershy is just downstairs fixing ya some breakfast,” giving him a warm smile in return as he sat up on the edge of the bed and stretched his arms and legs.
She turned to her side “come on little buddy, hop on,” she chuckled as Toby carefully climbed onto her back as she smiled brightly at him and trotted to the stairs to descend them.


As they came down into the den, they were greeted by all of the animals who waved their paws and talons at the two “hi everyone,” Toby greeted them as he waved his hand.


Applebloom trotted over to the center rug and let him climb off her back as she laid down on the rub beside him tucking her legs underneath her. She looked over to him and asked “hey Toby, how would ya like to come with me to the annual Apple Family Reunion?”


He looked up at her with a soft smile “I would like that Applebloom. I will have to ask Momma if it is okay first,” he let out a soft sigh.


Applebloom nodded in agreement as Fluttershy hovered into the den carrying a food tray with two plates of pancakes and two glasses of apple juice. She lowered to the floor and placed the tray in front of the two young ones “here you go sweetie,” she gave her son a warm smile and looked at Applebloom. “Um… I hope you don’t mind me fixing you something to eat as well Applebloom.”


Applebloom smiled at her and shook her head “well, thank ya Fluttershy,” she started to eat at her haycakes while Toby giggled lightly.


He took the knife and fork provided to cut at his pancakes, and took his first bite. “Mm… they are good as always Momma,” he spoke softly as he looked up at her with a bright smile after chewing his first bite. He reached for his glass and took a drink of his apple juice.


Fluttershy smiled warmly at the two and give Toby a kiss on top of his head “I am glad you enjoy them sweetheart,” she rubbed at his back with a fore hoof before trotting over to her sofa to lay on.


While he was eating his breakfast, Toby turned to Fluttershy to ask after finishing a bite first “Momma, will it be okay if I go with my big sister to the Apple Family Reunion?” He gave her a hopeful smile.


She gave him a warm smile and nodded “of course sweetie, that will be okay with me.”


He smiled brightly “thank you Momma,” he said excitedly as he went back to eat at the rest of his breakfast. Fluttershy squeed and giggled softly at his excitement.


After Applebloom and Toby finished their breakfast, Fluttershy climbed off her sofa and trotted over to them. She leaned down and gave Toby a kiss on top of the head “now you have fun Toby, and I will be here when you get back, okay sweetie?”


He stood up and gave her a big hug around her neck “okay Momma, I love you,” he said as he gently broke the hug and walked over to Applebloom who was leaned down for him to climb up on her back.


“Momma loves you too sweetheart,” as she gave them both a warm smile and waved a fore hoof at them while they did the same before exiting the cottage. Fluttershy collected the food tray to take back into the kitchen to get washed.


While Applebloom and Toby were heading toward Sweet Apple Acres, they were unaware that they were being watched by Rover and a changeling drone. They were hidden deep within the shadows of the trees and bushes so not to be seen. The drone had its mouth opened wide with a sinister grin and its fangs were dripping with saliva.


Rover looked over and stuck his tongue out in disgust “neh… that is disgusting… bleh,” he shook his head as the drone turned and hissed at him. “Alright, alright, I’m sorry,” he threw his forepaws in the air and watched as the two were out of their sight. “Neh… let’s go and let your queen know what we seen,” the drone nodded and hovered beside Rover as they turned to head back toward the badlands.


Upon arriving at the farm Applebloom noticed that all the Apples were already in attendance. She turned to look at a wondrous look on Toby’s face “haha… well, little buddy welcome to the Apple Family Reunion,” she gave him a bright smile as she trotted though the front arch.


While Applebloom was trotting around looking for her cousin Babs Seed, Toby smiled softly at the other Apple Family members. They looked at the child curiously at first, but gave him a warm smile in return as they greeted him with a wave of their fore hooves. He returned the wave at them with his hand as he carefully rode on Applebloom’s back.


She beamed with excitement as she spotted Babs talking with her sister and trotted up to the two “Babs!” She lowered on her forelegs to let Toby climb off her back and went to give her a big hug.


“Cuz,” Babs spoke with a heavy Bronx tone as she hugged Applebloom back.


Toby stood off to the side and smiled as the two cousins greeted each other. He felt a hoof on his should and tilted his head back to look up at Applejack “hi Auntie Applejack. Thank you and your family for inviting me to your reunion,” he gave her a soft smile and turned around to give her a hug around her neck.


She smiled down at the small child and wrapped a foreleg around his back “now there isn’t no need to thank me sugarcube. Ya are a part of not only Fluttershy’s but all of our families,” she gave a soft chuckle and patted him on the back.


After Applebloom and Babs broke their hug, Applebloom smiled brightly at her “Babs, Ah would like for ya to meet somepony,” she turned toward Toby “hey little buddy, come here,” she motioned him over with a fore hoof.


He walked over to the two and smiled up at Applebloom “yes Applebloom?”


She placed a fore hoof on his shoulder rubbing at and turned him toward Babs “Toby, Ah would like for ya to meet my cousin Babs Seed.” She smiled at him and looked at Babs “Babs, Ah would like for ya to meet Toby Mason, my little buddy, and my little brother,” she let out a chuckle and rubbed at his shoulders.


He gave a soft smile as he looked up at Babs “hi there Babs, it is good to meet you,” he reached out a small hand toward her.


She smirked down at the little colt reaching out a fore hoof and carefully shook his hand. She lowered her head to look at him in the eyes “well, hiya there Toby, it is great to meet you too,” she reached up with her fore hoof after shaking his hand and gently ruffled his hair. She raised her head back up as Toby was lifted up onto Applebloom’s back.


Applejack trotted up to the three “well, it is great to see yall getting acquainted,” she let out a chuckle and reached up a fore hoof to rub at the top of the small child’s head. She cleared her throat “now, Ah have something different planned for ya young’uns this year,” she looked at them as the two fillies gave an annoyed sigh.


Toby looked at the two giving a little giggle, but looked at the two curiously “what happened last year?”


Applebloom turned her head “well, ya see little buddy last year Applejack was in charge of planning the reunion, and let us just say it was a disaster,” she let out another sigh and nuzzled at his cheek.


Babs nodded in agreement “yea kid, it was miserable. Me and my cuz was unable to spend some time together to just hang out, because Aunt Applejack here wanted us to participate in the events.”


Applejack looked at the two with a shocked yet disappointed expression “hey now, Ah planned fun events last year, it just didn’t go as well as Ah would have hoped it would,” she kicked at the ground with a fore hoof. “Besides, Ah thought Ah might let the young’uns participate in helping make the apple fritters for everypony, and then yall can go and do your own thing, how does that sound?” She gave a big hopeful grin.


Applebloom looked at Babs who nodded softly and both looked at Toby “well, how what do ya say little buddy, would ya like to join us in making some delicious apple fritters?” She gave him a warm smile.


He nodded “that sounds fun Applebloom and Babs,” he said with a big smile as Applebloom turned and the three followed Applejack.


They arrived to a long wooden table covered with a simple white cloth as there were a few other fillies and colts with their parents who was working together making apple fritters. Applejack stopped and sat down on her haunches as the other three followed suit as Appleboom let Toby climb off her back and he stood up beside her.


Applejack looked at the three as she took a piece of dough and some apple fritter mix. “Alright young’uns this is how you make a homemade apple fritter,” she grabbed some of the mix with a spoon and placed in the center of the dough. “First, you fold the edges and crimp them or close them to keep the warmth in the fritter,” she smiled at the three as she finished her apple fritter.“Now yall try it,” she gave them a wink and stepped off to the side to let them fix their own apple fritters.


The three carefully followed the steps Applejack showed them as they each finished making their own apple fritter. They smiled each other and giggled as Applejack trotted back over to look at their finished treats.


“Well, Ah must say, yall did a mighty fine job,” she collected the three fritters to take over to the fryer. “Now ya three can go do your own thing until the cart ride and family photo,” she smiled at the three as they nodded and trotted off.


Applebloom carried her little brother on her back as the three talked with one another and trotted around the farm “how is everything going in Manehatten Babs? Have ya recruited any more members into the Cutie Mark Crusaders Manehatten branch,” she looked over curiously at Babs with a smile.


Babs nodded, “yup, there are a total of six new fillies and colts in the group including myself,” she smiled brightly at the two. “How about you, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo?”


Applebloom looked back at the child on her back “well, first we also have recruited a new member into our group, even though he might not be a pony. He is our little buddy, and cool little brother Toby,” she gave him a wink and chuckled.


Babs smiled at him and reached up with a fore hoof to pat him on his back “well, congratulations there little guy.”


He smiled warmly at her and nodded “thank you Babs. It is fun to be a part of the Cutie Mark Crusaders with my big sisters,” he gave Applebloom a hug around her neck as she patted at his hands. The three chuckled happily.


“Also, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle both earned their cutie marks at our school’s annual talent show, and Ah’ am so proud of them. Ah know Ah will get my cutie mark one day,” she gave a soft smile.


Babs reached up and patted her on the shoulder “don’t worry cuz, you will get your cutie mark. I am proud of Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle as well,” she gave Applebloom a warm smile.


Toby nodded in agreement “yes big sister, you will get your cutie mark one day. I am still very proud of you for being such a good big sister to me,” he let out a giggle and hugged her again around her neck.


She smiled brightly and patted at his hands “thank ya little buddy. Ah am very proud of being your big sister too,” she turned his head and nuzzled at his cheek.


After wandering around for a little while, the three arrived at the big wooden cart that Big Mac and his cousin Braebun was harnessed on to give everypony a cart ride. Toby followed behind Babs, and took a seat between her and Applebloom.


Applejack looked at the ponies aboard the cart “well, Apple Family, unlike last year, Ah have planned this cart ride will be a slow and relaxing one through the farm.” The others let out a sigh mixed with relief and nervousness “Ah know, Ah know, but Ah promise this time will be fun,” she gave them all a wink as the motioned for Big Mac and Braeburn to start pulling the cart.


The wind blew calmly as the cart ride traveled through the many rows of trees. Applejack was standing at the base of one of the trees and licked her lips “this time, let’s hope the little critters won’t attack everypony,” she thought to herself as she leaned forward on her forelegs, reared back her hind legs, and bucked at the tree. Suddenly a wave of multi-colored fruit bats flew out of the top of the trees creating a smooth flowing rainbow.


They flew high above the land and over the heads of the ponies and young child in the cart. The group looked up with wide wondrous smiles on their faces. Toby looked up in awe at the beauty the fruit bats shown “wow, I never seen fruit bats before. They sure are pretty,” he smiled happily as he watched them soar above his head.


Applebloom and Babs giggled at the child’s excitement “well, Ah am glad it is your first time to see them little buddy,” Applebloom said as she gave him a warm smile.


The cart ride lasted a few more minutes until Big Mac and Braeburn pulled up to the barn where Applejack was setting up a camera with tripod. She looked at everypony with a big smile “ah’right Apples, it is time to take the family photo in front of the barn.” They all nodded and climbed off the cart to stand in front of the barn.


Toby smiled softly at Applebloom and Babs as the two fillies went to join the group, and he walked over to Applejack. He looked up at her “Auntie Applejack, if you want me to, I will take the picture so you can get in it.”


She smiled warmly down at the little colt and placed a fore hoof on his shoulder “well, that is mighty nice of you sugarcube, but how can ya be a part of your first Apple Family picture if ya are behind the camera?” She rubbed at his head gently “c’mon little feller,” she smirked as she set the camera timer and trotted with Toby over to the rest of the family.


Applejack allowed Toby to stand in front with Babs one side, Applebloom on the other, and the other Apples around them. The timer clicked and the camera flashed as the annual Apple Family photo was taken.


As he was enjoying his first Apple Family Reunion with his aunt, papa, grandma, and big sister, Toby not only had a big smile on his face, but a big smile in his heart. However, the young child who experienced real good times in his new home of Equestria was about to come face to face with one of the land’s most dangerous and notorious inhabitants.

Author's Note:

Finally, after a battle with writer's block, and with some time of healing after the passing of my grandma, which is still hard, I have finished the final chapter of this story. I wanted to apologize once again to everyone of my wonderful readers and friends for the extreme delay. Thank you all so much again for your well wishes and caring words during this difficult time in my life, and thank you for being such awesome friends.

I will let you all know when I start "A New Home II". I have only one request, and I know that there will be different ones, but I love the participation and interactiveness if you can call it that. However, I would like for you all to come with a title I can give this sequel after "A New Home II: __________________". Maybe a title that could relate to the arrival of Queen Chrysalis in Toby's new life in Equestria. :twilightblush: