• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 13,142 Views, 282 Comments

Life in Equestria: Holidays with Toby - APoeticHeart



Collection of short stories of Toby celebrating the holidays in Equestria.

  • ...
16
 282
 13,142

Toby's First Nightmare Night

It was a beautiful day in the town of Ponyville and as the towns ponies were outside enjoying the morning, Rarity was wide awake and working diligently inside the Carousel Boutique. She was creating a few costumes for the annual celebration of Nightmare Night. She completed one for herself, one for Sweetie Belle, and was adding the finishing touches to a costume for her little nephew Toby.

She squinted eyes in concentration as she peered through her red brimmed work glasses. "Now, just one more.. and viola." She smiled brightly as she levitated Toby's costume to take a real good look at it. "Rarity dear, I believe you have outdone yourself. The little darling is just going to love his Nightmare Night costume." She giggled lightly to herself as she carefully levitated the costume over to hang on the rack with the other two costumes.

The costume was comprised of a royal blue silk long sleeve top with two toned pants with the legs being royal blue and the top of the pants being red. It came with a red silk cape, red boots that came up just below the knees, and a yellow belt that circled around the waist area. On the chest area of the costume was a triangular shield with a red border, a yellow background, and a red S inside the shield, and the whole logo was made of small red and yellow gems.

Photo courtesy of Google Images

Rarity let out a deep sigh of relief after finishing the three costumes. "That was a lot of work, but a lady's job is never easy." She thought to herself as there was a knock at her bedroom door.

"Rarity, it's me." Sweetie Belle's voice rang from outside in the hallway.

Rarity beamed happily as she answered. "Oh, come on in Sweetie Belle. I have your costume all ready." She opened the door with her magic.

Sweetie Belle trotted in with a big bright smile on her face. "Oh, you do sister? Can I see it, please?" She looked up at Rarity with hopeful eyes.

Rarity giggled at her sister's anxiousness and reached up with a foreleg to pat her gently on the head. "Oh, alright my dear sister." She looked over at the clothes rack and levitated it in front of the filly for her to look at. "I hope you like it."

It was a two piece costume. First was a vest with an all black interior with the exterior being encrusted with all white diamonds with a heart on the back made up of pink and lavender diamonds. In the left pocket of the vest was a small microphone with a black base and a light pink diamond encrusted speaker. To finish off the costume was a cap with the same black interior as the vest, and exterior encrusted with white and light pink diamonds.

Sweetie Belle beamed with excitement leaping into the air a bit with a spark shooting from her horn. "Ooh sister, I love it!" She beamed up at Rarity. "I am going to look dazzling tonight." She giggled.

Rarity blushed and giggled. "Haha.. yes you will dear sister." She levitated Toby's costume over to Sweetie Belle so she can give thoughts on it. "Sweetie Belle, what do you think about the little darling's costume?"

Sweetie Belle looked at the little colt's costume with a smile yet curious look on her face. "Oh, that is beautiful Rarity, but what is it?" She looked up at Rarity with her brows furrowed curiously.

Rarity levitated the costume back over to the rack and looked down at her sister letting out a deep sigh. "Sweetie Belle, do you remember the first celebration we held for Toby at Canterlot Castle?" Sweetie nodded. "Well, that night while the little darling was asleep, Princess Luna used a spell that allowed myself and the other adults to venture into Toby's mind and explore his most precious of memories."

"Oh." She pointed a hoof at the costume. "Was this in one of his memories?" She asked with a bright smile.

Rarity nodded. "Yes it was. We were in his room and there was a picture of this adult human who was wearing this outfit. I would guess that he is a hero that our precious little Toby looks up to, so I decided to create a costume with the same design for the little darling." She smiled brightly.

Sweetie Belle beamed. "Oh, I know he is going to love it sis." She looked up at Rarity. "Since we have a while until Nightmare Night begins, I am going to go see what the girls are going to wear tonight. Thank you again sis for making my costume. I love it." She gave Rarity a big smile.

Rarity giggled. "You are very welcome Sweetie Belle. Well, you have fun with your friends. I got to go and see if my little Spikey-Wikey would like to go collect gems with me before tonight." She gave Sweetie Belle a pat on her back as the two sisters trotted out of her bedroom into the hallway and descended the stairs.

As they exited the boutique Rarity placed a gentle hoof on her sister's back and looked down at her. "Remember Sweetie Belle, you and your friends meet me here at the boutique tonight so you can change into your costume, and then we can go to Fluttershy's to pick Toby up."

Sweetie Belle nodded and smiled up brightly. "Okay Rarity. See you tonight." They both waved a forehoof at each other as Sweetie went galloping off toward Sweet Apple Acres and Rarity trotted toward the Golden Oaks library.


On the farm of Sweet Apple Acres, The Apples was preparing for the evening's festivities. Applebloom was putting the final touches on her costume when Applejack knocked on the door. "Applebloom, can Ah' come in?"

"Sure sis." Applebloom responded as Applejack opened the door and trotted in. As she entered she saw Applebloom with a white top with short sleeves and it looked like it could be a buttoned up top. It had a pocket on the left and in it was a wooden spoon. To finish off the costume Applebloom had a chef's hat on top of her head.

"Haha.. let me guess, you are going to be a chef for Nightmare Night, Ah'm Ah' right Applebloom?" She chuckled lightly.

"Yup. Ah' figured that Ah' would get my cutie mark one day in cooking, so Ah' might as well start looking the part. How do Ah' look sis?" She turned from side to side for Applejack to get a good look.

"Ah' like it little sis." She reached up and rubbed at Applebloom's forehead. "Ah' can't wait for Toby to celebrate his first ever Nightmare Night here in Equestria. Ah' know the little feller is going to have fun, and Ah' know ya and your friends will make sure he is safe."

Applebloom smiled up brightly at her sister. "Of course Applejack. Ya know we won't let anything bad happen to our little buddy and our little brother tonight. Ah' promise to look after him, okay sis?"

Applejack nodded in agreement. "Ah' trust ya Applebloom, and Ah' trust Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle." She chuckled and looked at Applebloom curiously. "Speaking of those two, do ya know that they are dressing up as tonight?"

Applebloom smiled and nodded. "Yup. Sweetie Belle is going as a pop singer and Scootaloo is going dressed as Rainbow Dash. Ah' swear sometimes that girl must have an obsession with Rainbow Dash or something." She chuckled and shook her head softly.

Applejack chuckled as well. "Nah, it is just Scootaloo wants Rainbow Dash to be like a big sister to her. Ya know ya look up to me and Big Macintosh, so Scootaloo looks up to Rainbow Dash." She rubbed at Applebloom's forehead again.

Applebloom nodded and looked up at her older sister curiously. "What about ya Applejack? What are you going to wear for a costume tonight?' She gave Applejack a bright smile.

Applejack chuckled. "Well, Ah'm going to keep that a secret until yall come to bob for apples." She playfully nudged the side of Applebloom with her shoulder. "Let's just say that since tonight is the night of fun, Ah' am going to have a lot of fun at Rarity's expense." She chuckled and blushed.

Applebloom shook her head and laughed happily. "Oh ah'right. Ah' guess Ah' can wait to see what you will be wearing tonight." She sighed softly as she took her costume off and placed it on her bed for the time being. "For now, Ah'm going to go see what the girls are up to."

Applejack nodded. "Ah'right, Ah''ll go and get the tub ready for the bobbing for apples event tonight." The two sisters trotted out of Applebloom's room and went downstairs. "Oh, before Ah' forget Applebloom, make sure ya and the other two meet Rarity at the boutique. She is going to take ya three and Toby out tonight to collect candy."

"Okay sis, Ah'll remember. See ya tonight." She waved a forehoof at Applejack and galloped outside where she saw Sweetie Belle trotting toward the house. "Howdy Sweetie Belle, how are ya today on Nightmare Night?" As the two came close they clapped their forehooves together.

"I am doing wonderful Applebloom. I can't wait for us to get some candy tonight, play the games, and especially celebrate Nightmare Night with our little cutie of a brother Toby." She giggled and blushed.

Applebloom nodded in agreement. "Ah' know, the little feller is going to love it Ah' just know it." She looked at Sweetie Belle with curiosity. "Hey, where is Scootaloo?"

Sweetie Belle shook her head. "I don't.." "Hey girls." She was cut off as the two looked above them to see Scootaloo hovering above them and slowly lowering herself to the ground.

"Howdy Scootaloo." The three clapped their forehooves together.

"Hey you two, are you girls ready for the coolest Nightmare Night ever?" She asked while raising her foreleg in the air.

"Ya bet we are Scoots. While we wait for it to get time to change into our costumes and go meet Rarity at the boutique, do yall want to go to the clubhouse?" They both nodded in agreement.

"Awh yea, and tonight will be the kid's very first Nightmare Night too. We got to make this special for him girls." They nodded as they made their way to the clubhouse.

"You are right Scootaloo. The little cutie deserves to have the best time in his new home." Sweetie Belle smiled happily.

"Don't worry girls, we will make this a Nightmare Night that our little buddy he will remember forever." Applebloom smiled and the other two nodded as they entered into the clubhouse to wait until it is time to go pick up the child.


At Canterlot Castle Princess Celestia and Princess Luna was talking with each other in Celestia's bedroom. "Well little sister, shortly it will be time for you to go down to Ponyville for Nightmare Night. How are you feeling?"

Luna gave her a warm smile. "I am feeling excited about tonight Tia. I get to see all the ponies of Ponyville again, my friends, and also get to spend Nightmare Night with our little nephew."

Celestia smiled warmly. "I know sister. It being his first Nightmare Night and him being a young child, I don't want you to scare him too bad though, okay?" She let out a little giggle.

Luna giggled back. "Don't worry Tia, I won't scare the little colt. If I do, it will only be in the name of fun." She playfully nudged Celestia's shoulder with her hoof.

Celestia blushed and let out a giggle. "I trust you sister. I know he will enjoy his first Nightmare Night here in Equestria." Luna smiled warmly and carefully stood up from the red satin pillow she was laying on.

"Well, Tia, I shall take my leave so I may get ready for tonight." She bowed her head toward her sister as she turned to carefully trot out of Celestia's bedroom.

Celestia thought to herself. "Have fun young sister, and have fun my precious little nephew." She smiled softly as she turned her attention to the balcony at the horizon.


Within the cottage of Fluttershy, the pegasus and her son Toby was each having a cup of hot chocolate. The sat in the den of the cottage across from each other with every light off except for the small desk lamp that was on the table beside Fluttershy's red satin sofa. All of the animals were already in their beds sleeping.She smiled warmly at the small child as he drank at his hot chocolate. "He is such a precious little boy. My precious little boy." She thought to herself.

As Toby drank at his hot chocolate he looked up at Fluttershy. "Momma?" He asked softly as he gave her a smile.

"Yes sweetheart?" She gave him a warm smile and placed her cup on the floor.

"Momma, can you tell me what Nightmare Night is about? I know Auntie Applejack, Papa Big Mac, and Applebloom told me it is about the young ones going out to collect candy, play games, and have fun, but is that all?" He looked at her curiously.

Fluttershy sighed softly. "Um.. well sweetie, did your Auntie Luna ever tell you about the story of Nightmare Moon?"

Toby swallowed deeply and nodded. "Yes Momma. She told me that she changed into Nightmare Moon when Auntie Celestia refused to let the night stay forever, and that made Auntie Luna so mad that she turned bad and turned into Nightmare Moon. She also told me that Auntie Celestia didn't have a choice but to send her to the moon." He gave Fluttershy a sad smile.

She nodded. "That is right sweetie. Nightmare Night is named after the rule of Nightmare Moon when she took control of the throne of Equestria before your Auntie Celestia banished her to the moon. Now though we celebrate Nightmare Night with friends by having fun and laughing so it can be a happy holiday and not a scary one." She gave him a warm smile.

He nodded as he returned the smile. As the two went back to drinking their hot chocolate there was a knock at the door. " I will get it Momma." He said happily as he carefully stood up and walked to the door. He opened it to reveal Rarity, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Applebloom. He smiled brightly at all of them in their costumes. "Hi everyone." He stepped aside to let them.

"Hi Toby!" The three fillies greeted in unison as they trotted in and gave him a big group hug. He smiled and blushed.

As they all broke the hug Toby looked at them with a big smile. "Oh, I like your costumes Sweetie Belle, Applebloom and Scootaloo."

Scootaloo was wearing a Wonderbolt costume that was a whole sky blue bodysuit with holes for the eyes, nose, mane, and wings. A yellow lightning streak traced down from the neck to the stomach, little lightning bolts laid across the ankle of the hooves, and a lightning bolt adorned the flank of the suit. Scootaloo completed the costume off with a rainbow colored wig with the same frizzy mane style as Rainbow Dash.

"Thanks buddy." Scootaloo said as she smirked and gave the child a gentle pat on his shoulder.

Sweetie Belle gently nuzzled at his cheek. "Thank you cutie." He blushed at the nuzzle.

He looked over at Rarity. "I like your costume too Auntie Rarity." He gave her a soft smile.

Rarity was wearing a red silk dress with a black cape tied in a careful bow around her neck. She had red shoes on all four hooves, little devil horns on each ear, and she had black mascara in the design of flames coming out from the corners of her eyes.

"Well, thank you precious." She returned the smile and opened one of the flaps of her saddlebags she brought with her. "Before I forget, here is your costume darling, I hope you like it." She levitated the costume out of the pocket toward the little colt.

Toby looked at in awe and smiled brightly at Rarity. "Oh Auntie Rarity I love it, but how did you know that I liked Superman?" He asked curiously yet politely.

Rarity swallowed deeply and gave a nervous smile. "Well darling, it was.. um.. a lucky guess."

He smiled happily at her and gently took the costume into his hands. He looked at Fluttershy. "Momma, can I go try it on?"

Fluttershy nodded. "Of course sweetie." She gave him a warm smile as he smiled brightly and carefully ascended the stairs to go try it on. She turned to Rarity. "Oh, Rarity, that is the same costume that adult human was wearing in that picture in Toby's room when we went inside his memories, isn't it?"

Rarity nodded with a blushing smile. "Yes it is dear. I thought that the little darling would love it, and it would be a perfect costume for him to go out on Nightmare Night in." She looked at the yellow pegasus with a hopeful. "It is alright for Toby to come with us *motioning to herself and the three fillies* out on Nightmare Night and enjoy the festivities, isn't it Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy nodded. "Um.. of course it is Rarity. You know I won't mind for my precious little one to enjoy his very first Nightmare Night. Just make sure he doesn't get scared too badly or hurt." She gave Rarity a warm yet pleading look.

"Don't worry Fluttershy we will watch after him." Applebloom spoke up.

"That is right. Us Cutie Mark Crusaders always stick together and watch each other's back." Scootaloo said proudly.

"Besides he is our little brother and it is our job to look after him and make sure the little cutie doesn't get hurt." Sweetie Belle smiled brightly.

Rarity and Fluttershy giggled lightly. "The girls are right darling, we will make sure nothing bad happens to Toby. We are going to make this a special night for the precious little darling." She gave Fluttershy a reassuring smile.

Toby came walking downstairs wearing his Superman costume. The ponies looked at him with big smiles.

"Oh wow! Now that is a cool costume buddy." Scootaloo said as she trotted over to him and looked him over. "Not as cool as mine, but it still rocks." She chuckled patting the child on the shoulder.

Toby giggled. "Hehe.. thank you Scootaloo."

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle trotted over next. "Yah buddy, that looks great on ya. If Ah' may ask though who or what is Superman?' She looked at the little colt curiously.

He looked at the three fillies. "Well, Superman is a super hero who fights for good against evil. He is super fast, super strong, but most importantly he is super good. I look up to him, because he is never bad, and never mean to others." He gave them a soft smile.

"Well, that is a good trait of any hero darling, and it is a trait that you so wonderfully possess." Rarity gave him a warm smile as she carefully stood up along with Fluttershy.

"You are indeed a little hero sweetheart." Fluttershy gave him a warm smile as she trotted up to him and pulled him in a big hug with a foreleg. She nuzzled the top of his head and pulled him back gently to look down into his eyes. "Now you be good for your Auntie Rarity and have fun sweetie, okay?" She gave him a kiss on his forehead.

He hugged her around her neck and smiled up at her. "I will Momma. Are you sure you don't want to come with us? I don't want you to be alone at home." He gave her a sad smile.

She rubbed at his back soothingly. "I will be okay sweetheart. Don't you worry, okay? Momma will be here safe and sound when you return, I promise." She gave him another tender kiss on his forehead. "Now I don't want you to be sad, you go outside and have fun." She patted his back gently as he broke his hug around her neck carefully.

He nodded up. "Okay Momma." He gave her a warm smile as he went to join the three fillies as they exited the cottage followed by Rarity and Fluttershy.

Rarity turned to Fluttershy. "Don't worry Fluttershy dear, we will take good care of him." She gave the pegasus a reassuring smile and wink as she turned to go join the four. "Oh, before I forget, here you go dears." She levitated four small pumpkin shaped buckets out of her saddlebags for each them to collect their candy in.

They waved their forehooves and Toby waved his hand at Fluttershy. "I will be back in a little bit Momma." He gave her a big smile as the five headed toward Ponyville.

Fluttershy waved a forehoof as she giggled to herself. "Hehe..don't worry sweetheart, Momma will be watching after you too." She giggled some more before trotting back into the cottage.


As they were trotting along the road of Ponyville Toby looked in wonder at all of the ponies who were dressed up in an array of unique and creative costumes. He also saw that they was participating in games, dancing to some music, and eating food being sold at venders that was set up. "This looks like lots of fun." He thought to himself.

While he was walking he felt somepony come up behind him and lift him onto their back. "Haha.. there ya go buddy. Ah' can't let ya tire your little feet out can Ah'?" Applebloom chuckled.

"Hehe..thank you Applebloom." He giggled and smiled at her. He then looked at her and the other two fillies. "Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Applebloom, what do I say when we go to someone's house? At home I used to say trick-or-treat, but it is probably different here, isn't it?"

The three nodded in unison with Sweetie Belle speaking up. "Don't worry cutie it is quite simple. All you have to say when we get to somepony's house is "Nightmare Night, what a fright, give us something sweet to bite" and they will give us candy." She gave him a beaming smile as he nodded in understanding.

"That is right darling. If a lady may say, the candy during Nightmare Night at times can be exquisite." She giggled a little and blushed as the for young ones giggled along with her. "However, I don't like to indulge on too much candy. It can.... AAHH!" Rarity looked down to see a snake in front of her causing her to shoot up on her hind legs shaking.

Toby and the other three looked curiously at the snake noticing it wasn't moving. Toby carefully climbed off Applebloom and took a step forward. Rarity quickly placed a foreleg in front of him. "Oh, no darling, don't get near that foul creature." He felt her foreleg shake as her whole body shook.

Toby giggled a little as he reached out to touch the snake and giggled more. "Hehe.. Auntie Rarity.. haha.. it is just a rubber snake." He carefully picked it up allowing it to fold over in his hand.

"Awh..hahahahahahaha." The group heard a pony laughing above them as they looked up to see Rainbow Dash. "Haha.. you should have seen the look on your face Rarity." She chuckled hysterically.

Rarity huffed and shook her head. "Ooh, Rainbow Dash! You could have given the little darling a heart attack." She looked down at the small child with a worried look. "Are you alright Toby?"

He giggled and nodded. "Hehe.. yes I am okay Auntie Rarity. Are you okay though?" He looked up worriedly as well, but with a light smile.

Rarity flicked her mane and calmed herself. "Yes darling, your Auntie Rarity is fine." She then noticed the three fillies laughing. "And what is so funny?"

"Hahaha.. sorry sister, but that was so funny." Sweetie Belle laughed as she sat on her haunches holding her stomach with her forelegs.

"Yah, Ah' could have told ya that was a fake snake a mile away." Applebloom shook her head.

Scootaloo flew up to Rainbow Dash and they clapped their forehooves together. "Hahaha..that was classic Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow Dash smirked and rubbed the top of Scootaloo's head being careful not to knock the wig off. "Thanks Rarinbow Jr. Awesome costume." She smiled as the two lowered to the ground. Rainbow patted Rarity on the shoulder. "Relax Rarity, it is Nightmare Night, you know the night to have fun and a night of pranks."

Rarity huffed but sighed deeply. "Yea, I guess you are right Rainbow dear." She looked over Rainbow in her costume. "Who are you supposed to be anyway?"

She wore a beige scavenger hat on her head. She wore a beige vest with a pocket on the left with a rolled up scroll in it. Rainbow smirked. "Well, duh. I am Daring Do." She stood up on her hind legs and placed her forelegs on her hips.

Rarity rolled her eyes. "Oh, well isn't that marvelous."

Toby giggled and reached his hand out to Rainbow. "Here is your snake back Auntie Rainbow."

She gently took it from the his hand and placed it in the same pocket with the rolled up scroll. "Thanks little buddy." She gave him a smirk and reached up to rub at the top of his head. She looked over his costume. "Well look at you, that is an awesome costume too Toby. Who are you supposed to be anyway kiddo?"

"Thank you Auntie Rainbow." He smiled up at her brightly. "I am Superman. He is my favorite super hero, and Auntie Rarity made my costume for me." He smiled up at Rarity.

Rainbow Dash rubbed at his head again. "Well, you did a good job as always Rarity." She smiled at the fashionista.

"Well, thank you Rainbow dear, I appreciate your kind words." She finally relaxed after being scared by Rainbow's rubber snake prank.

Rainbow looked at Applebloom and Sweetie Belle. "You two have cool costumes as well."

The two fillies beamed with excitement and said in unison. "Thank you Rainbow Dash." Applebloom decided to carefully lift Toby back up on her back. He giggled as he sat carefully on her back.

"Where are you all heading to first?" Rainbow asked curiously.

"Well, first dear we are heading over to Twilight's to get some candy then we are heading over to bob for apples where Applejack is hosting. Would you like to join us Rainbow Dash darling?" Rarity asked raising an eyebrow.

"Well, I would like to, but I am going to go prank some more unsuspecting ponies with my awesome snake." She turned to the fillies and child. "You all have fun and I will catch you later." She hovered up in the air and flew off.

Rarity shook her head. "That Rainbow Dash sure can be a hoofful." She sighed deeply and turned to the four. "Well, darlings let us go to Twilight's." They all nodded as they trotted beside Rarity with Toby riding on Applebloom's back.


In the Golden Oaks Library Spike was pacing back and forth waiting on Twilight to get finished with her costume. His costume was a combination of a Viking helmet, a cookie tray that he strapped to his underbelly as armor, and a mustache which he begged Twilight to cast the spell that would give him one. He sighed in annoyance as he impatiently tapped his foot against the floor.

"C'mon Twilight, Nightmare Night is going to be over by the time you get done. I hope you aren't planning on wearing that old grandpa costume you did last year. Although I admit that was hilarious." He chuckled as he thought back at the costume.

Twilight trotted to the top of the stairs rolling her eyes as she looked down at the baby dragon. "Spike, for the last time I was not no grandpa, I was Starswirl the Bearded." She sighed softly as she descended the stairs into the den of the library. She smiled at her assistant. "What do you think about this year's costume Spike?"

Her costume was comprised of a button up white top with black coat. She wore her mane in a bun, and she wore small black rimmed glasses.

Spike chuckled. "Haha.. let me guess you are a waitress for a classy restaurant? Haha."

Twilight sighed annoyingly and shook her head. She gave Spike a stern look. "No Spike. I am a librarian."

Spike fell on his back and rolled back and forth laughing hysterically. He held his stomach with his arms.

"What is so funny Spike?" Twilight asked in an aggravated tone.

"Hahaha.. Twilight, if you haven't noticed yet, you are a librarian everyday." He chuckled hysterically.

"Grr. nevermind." She rolled her eyes annoyingly as she looked at the laughing dragon. "Are you done yet?"

He stood back up and reached up with a claw to wipe away a tear of laughter. "Awh..haha.. yes I am done now Miss Librarian Twilight Sparkle." He chuckled a little more until he heard a knock at the door. "I'll get it. Oh, wait, I got to be quiet, because it is a library." He said sarcastically as he walked to the door and got the bowl of candy on the table next to it.

As he opened the door he was greeted by the CMC, Toby, and Rarity. "Nightmare Night, what a fright, give us something sweet to bite." The four young ones said in unison.

"Whoa, now those are cool costumes you guys." Spike said as he handed each of them one piece of candy placing them in their buckets. He looked up to see Rarity dressed as a beautiful yet sinister devil pony. He blushed. "H-h-hi Rarity." He stuttered a bit.

"Well, hello my Spikey-Wikey. My, aren't you a handsome little Viking drake." She trotted near him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

He swallowed deeply at the kiss and made an ear splitting grin as his cheeks a rosy pink. "Gosh Rarity, thank you." Twilight came up from behind him and patted him on the back to snap him out of his trance.

"Easy there Romeo." She giggled to herself as she looked at Rarity and the fillies and child. "Hello Rarity and hello my little ponies and Toby. My those are some great costumes indeed." She gave them all a warm smile as her and Spike exited the library and she closed the door with her magic.

Before the group could step away from the library they heard somepony yell. "Incoming!" A big black ball that appeared to have a pink tail and mane sticking out landed with a thud in front of them. The CMC backed up some with Applebloom allowing Toby to hold into her neck, Rarity gasped, and Twilight along with Spike just rolled their eyes.

"PINKIE!" They all said in unison except for Toby who giggled.

Suddenly four sets of hooves popped out of the bottom of the big black ball and Pinkie popped her head out. "HAPPY NIGHTMARE NIGHT EVERYPONY!" She said excitedly.

Rarity shook her head rolling her eyes. "Pinkie darling, what in Equestria are you suppose to be?" She was unable to contain her giggling.

"Silly willy, I am a heavy weavy cannon ball." She beamed excitedly and saw Spike with the bowl of candy. She shot toward him with her face his. "Give me candy Spike now or you shall feel the PINKIE BOOM!" She raised her forelegs up.

Spike pushed the bowl of candy toward her. "Here you go Pinkie, take it all." She grabbed the bowl, tilted her head back, and poured the bowl in her mouth eating all the candy in one gulp.

The group's jaws just hung open in awe as Toby couldn't stop laughing. "Haha.. Auntie Pinkie Pie, you are funny."

Pinkie smiled at the child and trotted up to him as he was sitting on Applebloom's back and nuzzled at his nose. "Aw.. well, thank you my little wittle cutie wuite nephew." She reached a forehoof up and rubbed at his tummy causing him to giggle some more. "Oh, cool costume Toby." He smiled and nodded. She trotted back away from the group and out of nowhere pulled out her party cannon.

"Well, everypony and little wittle cutie wutie Toby, I will see you all later. I got to go get me some more candy for now. " She hopped into her party cannon and in a second blasted off into the sky.

Twilight shook her head. She turned to Toby. "That sweetheart was your Auntie Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie." Toby giggled and smiled. "Now, let's see. Where are you all off to next?"

"We are going to see mah' sister at the bobbing for apples event." Applebloom said as she looked up at the little colt on her back. "Are ya ready little buddy to do some bobbing for apples?"

He nodded. "Yes I am Applebloom, that sounds fun." He gave a big smile. The group nodded in agreement and started to make their way toward the town square where all the fun games was happening.

They was unaware of a pair of sky blue eyes watching them from a distance. "Hehe.. he is going to be so surprised to see that I came out tonight. They all will be, but I am doing this for my precious little one so he can have a good time tonight for his first Nightmare Night." Fluttershy thought to herself as she carefully trotted along the road hidden in her choice of costume.


As the group arrived at the bobbing for apples set up Rarity gasped at Applejack and what her choice of costume was. Applejack saw the group approaching her as she was watching over a couple of ponies playing the game. "Well, howdy darlings." She spoke in a mock Rarity tone. The others let out a giggle as they saw what Applejack was wearing.

She wore two big fluffy white pillows. One on her back and one on her underbelly as she had them tied together with her lasso. On the end of each pillow toward her flank there were three blue painted in a triangular shape just like Rarity's. On all four hooves she wore white socks. She wore fake eye lashes upon her brows, and wore her mane and tail in the same style as Rarity.

Rarity huffed. "Well, I must say, that is the most plain costume I have ever seen." She flicked her mane in annoyance as she pointed her hoof at the two pillows around her back and underbelly. "Why are you wearing pillows for darling Applejack? I am not puffy." She quirked an eyebrow.

Applejack giggled. "Haha.. nah, but you remind me a lot of a marshmallow sugarcube." The others giggled in unison. She turned to the young ones. "Well now, aren't yall looking good tonight." She smiled at the four and then looked at the child on Applebloom's back. "How are ya enjoying your first Nightmare Night little feller?" She gave him a warm smile.

Toby giggled and nodded. "I am having fun Auntie Applejack. I like your costume." He blushed. He looked over at Rarity who couldn't help but let out a little giggle herself.

"Well thank ya sugarcube. How would yall like to try your hooves and hands at bobbing for apples." They nodded as Applebloom let Toby climb off her back. The four along with Spike circled around the wooden tub filled with green colored water and plenty of apples. "Ah'right young'uns, on the count of three Ah' want to see yall dunk your heads and do your best to grab an apple with your teeth. If yall get one, ya get to eat it for the night." They all nodded as they readied themselves. "One... two.... three!" Applejack whistled as they dunk their heads into the tub.

Toby had to pull himself over the tub a little bit to reach in. After reaching in too deep he accidentally fell him causing a little wave in the tub as the others pulled their heads out holding an apple between their teeth. Toby shot up with one in his teeth and with a big smile on his face.

"Well, haha.. ya all got one and it looks like ya got a little wet sugarcube. Here let Auntie Applejack help get ya out." She reached her forelegs into the tub and lifted the child out underneath his arms. She got a towel that she was holding on a cart. "Ah' sure am glad Ah' brought towels this year." She handed the little colt the towel as he bit at his apple and let out a giggle and started to dry himself off.

"Hehe..thank you Auntie Applejack. That was fun. Wet, but very fun." He looked up at her with a big smile. The others let out a light chuckle.

Applejack patted him on the back gently. "Well, Ah' am glad little feller." She gave him a warm smile as she looked at the others. "Where are yall heading next?"

Twilight was going to speak up until a couple flashes of lightning filled the night sky and a rumble was heard. This caused Toby to jump a little, but Twilight saw this and trotted close to him placing gentle hoof on his shoulder. He tilted his head back looking up a little scared. "Don't worry sweetheart, it is only Princess Luna coming to celebrate Nightmare Night with all of Ponyville." She gave him a reassuring smile.

The moon beamed brightly upon the town of Ponyville as an all black chariot being pulled by two charcoal grey pegasi with suits of armor. They had bat-like wings that were from navy blue to dark royal blue along with their manes and tails. As the chariot got closer Luna flew out of it and descended to the ground wearing a black hooded cape.

Everpony bowed their heads respectfully to the Princess of the Night. "Greetings thy friends of Ponyville, thou may rise." She gave them all a big smile. "Happy Nightmare Night everypony!" They all cheered her as. "Please, return to what you all was doing and have fun while I enjoy the festivities as well." Everypony nodded and went back to what they was doing as Luna turned to Twilight and the others.

"Hello Princess Luna, how are you this evening?" Twilight asked.

'I am doing wonderful my fellow princess and friend, Twilight Sparkle, and thou can just call me Luna." She giggled. She looked at them all. "My aren't you all wearing great costumes."

"Thank you Luna!" They all said in unison.

She looked down to see the little colt and knelt down on her forelegs. "And how is my little nephew enjoying his first Nightmare Night, hmm?" She gave him a warm smile.

He smiled brightly. "I am having fun Auntie Luna." She smiled at him and carefully trotted behind him to lift him up on her back. He giggled as he sat on her back holding his candy bucket.

Luna giggled lightly and then looked at the others. "So, where are thou heading to?"

"Well, Luna dear, we was planning on going over to the pumpkin launch event next." Rarity smiled softly.

"That sounds great to me. How does that sound to you my young nephew?" Luna turned to look at the small child on her back and nuzzled gently at his cheek.

He blushed and giggled. "That sounds fun to me Auntie Luna." The others nodded in agreement as they all trotted toward the pumpkin launching station.


When they arrived at the pumpkin launching game there was an earth pony with a moderate pink coat, golden yellow mane and tail, light purple eyes, and for a cutie mark she had two cherries. She was dressed as hummingbird with a body suit that was covered with light grey to white feathers on the underbelly and on the back was a light green leaves closely tucked together to form a feather pattern. She had her mane smooth and straight, and she wore a beak like prop on her muzzle. The pony's name was Cherry Berry.

"Well, hello all." She saw Princess Luna and bowed her head still a little shaky after the last time Luna was apart of Nightmare Night. "Uh. h-hello Princess Luna."

"Calm yourself dear, you may just call me Luna." She gave the timid pony a soft smile and wink.

Cherry Berry sighed in relief. "Oh, okay Luna." She returned the soft smile and looked at the little colt on Luna's back. "Well, hello there little guy. I remember you from the gathering at town hall a few months ago." She gave him a blushing smile. "How are you enjoying your very first Nightmare Night Toby?"

"I am having a lot of fun Miss.." He didn't know her name, because he never had the chance to speak to everypony in Ponyville yet.

"Oh, you can just call me Cherry Berry little guy. Great costume by the way." She gave him a wink and looked at the other young ones. "You all have great costumes on as well." They nodded and smiled proudly. "Now, what do you all say about launching some pumpkins at the targets?" They all smiled brightly. She giggled. "Okay, who would like to go first?"

Applebloom thought for just a second. "Ya know what girls, Ah' think since it being his first Nightmare Night, Ah' think we should let Toby do the pumpkin launch first." She looked up at the colt on Luna's back.

"You are right Applebloom. That is cool with me." Scootaloo smirked and nodded.

Sweetie Belle beamed and looked up at Toby. "How does that sound cutie, would you like to go first?"

He smiled at the three and nodded. "Okay, if you all are sure you don't mind me going first." They gave him a reassuring smile and nod as Luna leaned down to let him climb off her back. He did as he walked up to the launcher. He looked ahead at the targets that the pumpkins have to hit. As he turned back he saw Luna levitating a pumpkin into the launcher. He smiled up at her. "Thank you Auntie Luna."

She let out a soft giggle. "You are welcome dear. " She smiled warmly down at him as he carefully walked up to the launcher.

He reached up to grab onto the end of the launcher which he had to stand on his tippy toes to reach. Luna saw this and decided to help him. She placed her forehooves on the sides of the launcher. She looked down. "Are you ready Toby?" He nodded as she gave him a soft smirk and she carefully pressed down on the launcher helping Toby stand back up all the way on his feet as he pulled down on his end. They both let go as Toby staggered back a little as Luna caught him.

The pumpkin soared through the air as it head toward the target. It landed with a splat as it hit the bullseye and splattered into pieces against the target and on the ground.

Toby smiled brightly and clapped his hands together. "Yay! I did it." He looked up at Luna. "Thank you Auntie Luna for helping me."

She giggled at his excitement and nodded. "You are very welcome dear." She gave him a soft smile as she patted him on the shoulder as the three fillies trotted up to him and patted him on the other should and his back.

"Good job buddy." The three said in unison.

Cherry Berry trotted toward him with a piece of candy in her mouth. She gave the child a beaming smile as she dropped the piece of candy into his bucket. "That was a fantastic job little guy." She reached up with a foreleg and patted at his back gently.

"Now it's my turn." Applebloom said as she licked her lips and trotted up to the launcher.

After several minutes all three fillies launched their pumpkins with each landing a bullseye. Spike launched his, but it landed on the ground before hitting the target, as Twilight's and Rarity's pumpkins hit above and below the bullseye. Princess Luna was the last one to launch a pumpkin and hers hit the bullseye as well.

Toby smile happily as he rode on Luna's back as the group trotted through Ponyville. "Haha..that was fun. I never launched a pumpkin before." He giggled as the others joined along in giggling.

"That is what Nightmare Night is all about darling is to have fun and enjoy time with your family and friends." Rarity gave the little colt a warm smile.

Toby smiled softly at Rarity. "I do wish Momma was here though. I bet she would have fun, but I won't want her to come out if she felt uncomfortable or scared to come." He gave a light smile.

Twilight gave him a warm smile. "Don't worry sweetheart, I know Fluttershy is happy knowing that you are having fun. Also, when you return home you can tell her all the fun you had." Toby nodded softly.

"Well, where off to next dears?" Rarity asked the group.

"Ah' know, how about we go to the spider toss game next?" Applebloom spoke up. "Ah' heard that Zecora is hosting it this year and Ah' am sure ya would like her Toby." She smiled up at the child.

"Oh, okay. That sounds good to me and I would like to meet Zecora." He spoke softly.

"Well, then, shall we continue onto the spider toss?" Luna asked and the group nodded as they trotted onward.

Within the shadows the timid pegasus was watching as the group made their way to the spider toss event. "Don't worry sweetie, Momma's here." She giggled to herself as she heard a pony walking pony say "What was that?" She closed her eyes and immediately went silent. She peeked them open to see the pony walk away and very quietly and carefully trotted some.


The group arrived at the spider tossing game where Zecora was watching a few ponies participating. Zecora is a zebra with a light to charcoal grey coat. She also has a light to charcoal grey striped mane and tail with her mane being in a Mohawk style, and for her cutie mark she has a grey sun in a spiral design. For her costume she had an all black body suit on with a skeleton design all over it and had a skeleton face mask on.

She saw the group trotting toward her. "Well, hello there my dear friends, after these first few then to you I will tend." She spoke in rhyme in a native tone as she watched as the first two ponies took their turns.

"That is quite alright Zecora. We shall wait and enjoy the fun." Luna smiled softly at the zebra.

Zecora smiled back and looked up to see the little colt sitting on Luna's back. "Well, hello there little one, and by any chance are you having fun?"

Toby smiled and nodded. "Yes Miss Zecora, I am having lots of fun on Nightmare Night."

Zecora giggled at the child's enjoyment. "Well, that is sweet of you to call me Miss my dear, but you can just call me Zecora, there is no reason to fear." She gave him a light smile.

"It is nice to meet you Zecora, my name is Toby." He returned the smile.

Zecora saw the two ponies both score ten points after landing their spiders right in the middle so she gave them one piece of candy each as they trotted off. "Well, it is nice to meet you too young child, would you like to try your hand at this game and become a little wild." She let out a little giggle.

Toby looked down at the fillies to see if they wanted to go first. They smiled brightly at the little colt and motioned their forelegs to let him know that he can go first. He smiled at them as Luna leaned down on her forelegs to let him climb off.

He walked up as Zecora gave him a toy spider. She sat on her haunches beside him and placed a hoof on his shoulder gently. She started to explain the rules. "As simple as saying your name, getting your spider to land on the web is the rule of this game. He looked up at her and nodded. "Score ten points and you shall win, so when you are ready you may begin." She patted his back as she stepped to the side.

"C'mon Toby, ya can do it." Applebloom cheered along with the other two fillies and baby dragon. Twilight, Rarity, and Luna smiled as the watched the child.

He carefully reached his arm back, took a step forward, and threw the spider underhanded toward the web. It flew a little bit until it landed on the outer layer of webbing missing the center. He smiled though. "Awh. that is okay though." He turned to Zecora and asked in his polite tone. "How many points is that Zecora?"

"Well, that is five points my little lad, but don't be sad, be happy knowing that you tried." She smiled and trotted up to him rubbing at the top of his head. She decided to give him a piece of candy as he smiled up at her and returned to Luna where he climbed up on her back.

The three fillies and Spike were up next. Applebloom and Spike landed their spiders in the middle earning them each ten points, and both Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle earned five points. Rarity and Twilight decided to try their hooves at the spider toss which both of their spiders landed on the ground earning them zero points, but they laughed as they enjoyed being with their friends and family.

Before they decided to leave the spider toss game Zecora trotted close to Luna and smiled at Toby. "Well, Toby it was a pleasure meeting you, you have a very caring heart this is true." She reached up and gave him a little nuzzle on the cheek.

He blushed. "Thank you Zecora, and it was nice meeting you." He waved a hand at her as she waved a forehoof as the group trotted off.

As they were trotted along the road Rarity screamd. "AAH!" The group jumped at the scream as the looked back and forth frantically until the looked down to see the same rubber snake from earlier. Rarity saw it and huffed. She looked up to a smirking and laughing Rainbow Dash. "Ooh, Rainbow Dash!"

"Awh..hahahaha... it is even better the second time... hahahaha." She held her stomach as she fell backwards on the cloud she was floating on. The others couldn't help but chuckle.

Luna giggled and whispered to Rarity. "Don't worry my friend Rarity, I got something for her." She looked behind her at Toby. "You want to see something real funny my young nephew?' He nodded silently. She smiled mischievously as she lit her horn up and focused her magic on the rubber snake. With concentration she turned it into a real snake and carefully levitated it up to the cloud.

Rainbow caught her breath after laughing hysterically. She hovered off her cloud to retrieve the snake only to find it floating in midair. It hissed at her causing her to scream. "AAHH!.... Live snake, live snake!" She shot off like a bullet in the night leaving a rainbow streak behind.

The others chuckled loudly as Rarity blushed mischievously. "Haha.. thank you Luna dear, that ought to teach Rainbow Dash to ever mess with me ever again." She giggled.

Luna nodded and turned the snake back into rubber. Toby giggled. "Hehehe.. that was good Auntie Luna."

She smiled back at the child and leaned to nuzzle at his cheek. "Thank you Toby dear. A princess got to enjoy some mischief once in a while.. hehe." She giggled with a blush.


While the group continued to trot through Ponyville with the young ones' buckets filled with candy a tree suddenly moved in front of them. Rarity gasped. "What in Equestria? How did that tree move?" She looked at it curiously.

Twilight giggled. "Hehehe.. wait a minute. Fluttershy, is that you?"

Toby looked at Twilight curiously then at the tree.

Suddenly Fluttershy's eyes popped open and raise her head up from the mid-bottom of the tree and her hooves out from under the roots. "Happy Nightmare Night everpony!" She squeed.

Toby giggled. "Momma, you came." He said happily as she trotted to Luna.

"Yes I did sweetheart. Do you think I would let my precious little one enjoy his very first Nightmare Night without his Momma?" She gave him a big smile and reached up to give him a nuzzle on the cheek.

He blushed as he gave her a hug around her neck. She smiled as she carefully removed herself from her tree costume and gently lifted Toby up in her forelegs giving him a warm hug with his head on her shoulder and her head on his shoulder as she hovered in the air a little bit.. She rubbed up and down his back. "I love you Momma. I am glad you came out tonight."

She giggled and pulled him back gently in the hug to give him a tender kiss on the forehead. "Momma loves you too sweetie, and I am glad I came out too." She carefully lowered to the ground as the group d'awwed at the two. She placed the child on her back and smiled at the others. "Well, um.. since we have time left, how about we finish the night off with some dancing?" The others and Luna nodded in agreement.

The group trotted to the center of Ponyville where the dancing was taking place.


After concluding Nightmare Night with some dancing the group said their goodnights and goodbyes to each other as they went their separate ways to go home. Fluttershy and Toby arrived home where Fluttershy trotted inside their cottage and shut the door. She leaned down to let Toby climb off.

"Sweetheart, how about you go put your candy up in the kitchen and we can share it tomorrow?"

"Okay Momma." He smiled up at her and walked to the kitchen placing his bucket of candy on the table. He returned into the den.

"Okay sweetie, you go get changed into your pajamas and I will be up to tuck you in, okay?" She gave him a kiss on the top of his head as he blushed and went upstairs to get changed. She sighed softly as she stretched her forelegs and let out a big yawn. She smiled as she looked at all her animals were fast asleep in their beds.

She blinked her eyes tiredly as she trotted upstairs. She smiled warmly as she saw the little colt already under the blankets curled up with his head on the pillow. She trotted over to the bed and patted the covers around him to make sure he was snugged and warm.

She gave him a warm smile. "Did you have fun tonight sweetheart?" She reached up with a wing and gently stroked at his side.

He sighed softly at the gentle stroking of her wing and nodded. "Yes I did Momma. Auntie Rainbow played a mean prank on Auntie Rarity by scaring her with a rubber snake." He giggled lightly at the moment.

Fluttershy giggled and blushed. "That definitely sounds like your Auntie Rainbow. She always loves to pull pranks on unsuspecting ponies." She shook her head at the thought.

"Then she done it again to Auntie Rarity, but Auntie Luna decided to get her back. She used her magic to turn the snake into a real snake and made it float in the air. It scared Auntie Rainbow, and she flew away fast leaving a rainbow trail." He smiled softly and giggled some more.

Fluttershy giggled. "Haha.. well, that serves your Auntie Rainbow Dash right for pranking your Auntie Rarity twice." She continued to stroke his side with her wing as she carefully leaned to gently grab at his glasses with her teeth and placed them on the side table.

"Do you know what the most fun thing happened tonight Momma?" He smiled at her happily.

She shook her head and smiled softly. "What was that sweetie?"

"When you joined us. I was hoping you would come out tonight, but I knew you was scared, and I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable. I was so happy though when you decided to come. What made you change your mind?" He asked gently.

"Well, sweetheart, the truth is I was scared to go out during Nightmare Night, but you know what was different about tonight?" She leaned in to nuzzle at his cheek.

"What was different Momma?" He looked at her curiously, but blushed at the nuzzle.

"You my precious little one. Ever since you came into my life Toby, you have made me the happiest pony and happiest mother in all of Equestria." She gave him a kiss on his forehead.

He felt tears sting his eyes. "Besides Mommy, you have made me the happiest little boy in the world Momma." He nuzzled his cheek against hers. "I love you Momma"

She felt tears sting her eyes as well as she reached a foreleg up to hug him and he wrapped his little arms around her neck. "Momma loves you too sweetheart." She held him with her foreleg for a good while before letting him go gently and kissing his cheek. "Goodnight and sweet dreams my precious little one, my precious son." She pulled the covers up to the bottom of his neck.

"Goodnight Momma and sweet dreams to you too." He smiled at her as she trotted to the stairs.

She turned one more time and gave him a warm tearful smile. "My sweet little boy." She thought to herself as she descended the stairs.

Luna's moon glowed majestically against the night sky and it shined on the sleeping form of the little colt. Toby sighed softly in his sleep as he remembered the joyful moments of his very first Nightmare Night and very first holiday in Equestria.

Author's Note:

Well, that is the first of my short stories. I am terribly sorry for being late in getting this done. I hope you enjoy this collection of short stories as much as you enjoyed "A New Home". Thank you all once again for your wonderful support, I deeply appreciate it.