• Published 8th Jun 2013
  • 844 Views, 17 Comments

Back from the North - vadram



A few Nightwatch soldiers are transferred from the Northern Front to the Eastern Front. The have a night of R&R at their disposal, and choose to make the best out of it.

  • ...
5
 17
 844

Pink and Mulberry

Pink and Mulberry


The buildings of Ponyville looked more or less alike to a pony who had just came to town. Small, or two story tall buildings, all painted yellow, with wooden support beams and thatched roofs, but one building seemed to be their destination. However he looked at it Silky could not see anything that would show that it was a N1 establishment.

No narrow alleyways, no bright lavish or suggestive signs, no darken windows, no undercover guards, no shady characters, and no scantily dressed mares, nothing to indicate that this was “that part of town.” Only a small wooden sign swinging with the wind, a half filled wine glass and a cluster of grapes painted onto it, was proof that anything even remotely even coming close to being N1 was in this quaint and innocent little town.

The mare, Pinkie Pie, slammed the door open letting the light come in. Silky appeared shortly after, exhausted and out of breath. He lifted his head and looked in. It was fairly dark, like all bars and taverns tend to be, and it was full to the brink with soldiers. A line was going down the middle straight to the bar. On one side all that Silky could see was white and gold, on the other dark blue and purple.

“Close the door, you’re letting the dark out!” a pony yelled at them.

“Hey Pinkie!” the barmare yelled from the other end of the room. “Come in! Come in! Bring your friend, first drink is on the house.”

“Thanks Berry!” Pinkie yelled back as she hopped over to the bar.

Silky closed the door behind him and also walked towards the bar, taking his time to look at the ponies that were busily drinking their worries away. For most there was not enough alcohol in all of Equestria to make them forget what they saw, but they did not give up hope, salvation could be at the bottom of the next bottle.

“Hey stranger, what can I get you?” the barmare asked. She was a cute earth pony mare with a mulberry coat and a mane a few shades darker. Behind her stood a large rack of all manner of spirits, as well as several barrels of wine and beer taps, hundreds of freshly washed glasses and mugs.

“Give me a beer.”

“I’ll have the Double Rainbow Cocktail.”

“Coming right up,” the barmare said before turning around and pulling out a bottle of vodka, as well as one of elderflower liqueur. In a tall glass she put rainbow colored ice cubes, and poured four parts soda water, one part vodka, one part liqueur, and a few other ingredient Silky did not get a chance to see.

The two ponies turned around and looked at the rest of the bar patrons. While their drinks were different all of them shared the same cocktail, a mixture of sadness and depression, with a smitch of hopelessness. The barmare, Berry, returned with their drinks. His beer was just like any other beer, cold, foamy and he soon found himself sharing the same cocktail with the rest of the bar. Pinkie’s drink was a brightly multi colored drink put, which she happily drank through a spiral straw.

“Haven’t seen so many sad ponies here since I took over,” Berry casually said resting her head on her crossed hooves.

“Hmm...” Pinkie said looking at the many depressed ponies, she started rhythmically tapping her hoof against the bar, while slurping from her drink at the same time.

She did that for almost a minute, until her drink was gone. She then slammed her glass onto the counter, got up, and walked over to the table of a large Nightwatch stallion with a fiery red mane who was resting his head on his hooves after he had finished his tenth beer. She put her hooves on his table and stared at him, a frown on her face.

“What?” The stallion spoke in a raspy deep voice that got the attention of everypony.

Pinkie grinned.

“Hey there friend I heard that you,
Were feeling kind of sad and blue,
And I was hoping I could make you smile.”

Pinkie turned to the pony sitting behind her and placed her hooves on his shoulder, looking straight at him as she continued singing.

“Because you are such a superstar,
Amazing, awesome, wonderful,
And I hope nothing ever breaks your heart.”

She started moving from table to table singing to different ponies, but loud enough so that even the ponies sitting the farthest away from her could hear her words.

“So I wrote this little song for you,
It isn't much but yes it's true,
And I hope you can see how great you are.”

As she sung she started making her way back to the bar.

“So just put a smile upon your face,
Today is such an awesome day,
A perfect day to laugh your cares away.”

And jumped on and stood on two legs.

“So just throw away your heart ache,
Be happy 'cuz today's a great day,
A perfect day to laugh and smile.. and smile... and smile..”

She sung the chorus three times before stretching her hoof out to Berry and helping her to get up on the bar, before jumping off and letting Berry take the spotlight.

“So if you're ever feeling down,
Then simply take a look around,
and you will see a bright and shiny world.” She made a wide circular gesture with her foreleg.

“That is full of such amazing things,
Like rainbows, cake, and onion rings,
And stars that shine so bright they could be pearls.

And when clouds intrude upon your day,
Just pick yourself right up and say,
that I can face it each and every day.

And if you should ever, need a friend
Then I will be there till the end
And stay right by your side forever more

So just throw away your heart ache
Be happy 'cuz today's a great day
A perfect day to laugh and smile... and smile.”

Pinkie joined her on the counter for the finale.

“So just throw away your heart ache,
Be happy 'cuz today's a great day,
A perfect day to laugh and smile... and smile... and smile...”

The crowd was staring silently.

Author's Note:

The Double Rainbow Cocktail Recipe:
http://www.alcademics.com/2010/07/the-double-rainbow-cocktail.html
Original Song: Chris Trice - The Cheer Up Song (Puppet Version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pHv603Jsjvk