• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 9,441 Views, 293 Comments

Canis Fidelis: Harmony - PseudoFiction



A different kind of soldier finds himself in Equestria… the four legged fluffy kind.

  • ...
14
 293
 9,441

69

Several weeks later...

Night fell over Equestria in the usual fashion. The sky exploded with stars and the moon hung vigilant among the sparse clouds.

Shutters and curtains were drawn. Doors were locked for the night. Ponies were returning from visits to friends or from dinner dates. Many more ponies had guzzled down their warm milk, chowed down some cookies and were preparing to turn into bed. The night was reserved for the nocturnal student studying for an exam in the morning; for the writer’s-block addled writer desperately trying to meet a deadline; for the lone lovers enjoying the quiet of a beautiful flower garden glowing in the moon’s silver light.

It was for the lone traveller drawing a cart of goods from Ponyville to Canterlot for the market the next morning.

But the night was also for the evils in Equestria. For when the night fell, so did the darkness.

Nopony knew more about the dangers of the road at night than Caramel Apple. But at the same time he didn’t take much notice. The family orchards needed to make ends meet, and selling apples up in Canterlot was lucrative. So he’d spent the day picking the best apples he could to meet the standards of the hoity-toity clientele up in the capitol, and to save money on a train ticket he simply walked to the city. It wasn’t a very hard walk, but it was still a good few hours travel.

And by the time his journey started, the sun was already setting. Now in the dead of night, Caramel was still walking, just half an hour from the city’s gates, the stars the only ones keeping him company. Aside from the Apple Family apples in his cart of course.

But there was one other thing keeping him company. Something that didn’t belong. Something Caramel Apple would prefer not to have keep him company.

The earth pony stopped in his tracks, skidding slightly as he halted suddenly. He didn’t have much choice as three large figures leapt from the woods right in front of him. The Canterlot city gates were in sight. The glistening city was right there, within galloping distance.

But between poor Caramel and it were three Diamond Dogs. Dolt, Mister Snarky, and last and least their oldest brother, Alpha; complete with his odd lisp.

“How ‘bout ‘ye hand ‘em apples over, pony?” Alpha growled “Along with any shine ‘ye have in that shaddle bag.”

“B-b-but I d-don’t have any bits,” Caramel stuttered, instinctively placing a hoof over his saddlebags. “I-I’ve g-got to s-sell the-these apples f-fi-first.”

“We’ll trade for ‘em then,” Mister Snarky growled with one of his large paws curled in a fist and cocked; ready to throw a punch. “I’ll trade ‘ya a knuckle-sandwich!”

Dolt gave a long, slow chuckle – as he was sure that was a funny comment made by his brother but he hadn’t fully figured out exactly why it was worth chuckling over. Caramel on the other hand flinched. He flinched hard.

Hard enough that he stumbled back a few paces, the cart wheels grinding noisily on the road as it rolled back a little. Noticing, Dolt chuckled again. Wanting to try and scare the pansy pony, he too stepped forward, separating himself from his pack of brothers, curling large mitt into a fist.

As he cocked to punch though, Caramel didn’t move. He didn’t have time as a shadow darted through the darkness.

It collided with Dolt, knocking the muscle-bound Diamond Dog clean into the air before whipping around with something biting into his forearm. It twisted his whole arm behind his back, causing the mutt to howl with a mixture of surprise and pain. And with a thud and a mouthful of dirt, Dolt slammed into the ground.

Standing over Dolt was a four legged figure. Smaller than a pony, and fluffier too with a black-and-tan colour pattern. A narrow muzzle filled with pointed carnivorous teeth, pointed alert ears and eyes that shone in the moonlight. Protecting his centre mass was a midnight black vest, and his broad front paws were pinned to Dolt’s back keeping him pinned.

Lifting his gaze to meet theirs, Bungee didn’t even have to bare his teeth. He just gave a menacing growl, eyes narrowed.

Alpha bolted without a moment’s hesitation, disappearing into the dark woods and crashing off into the distance. He had been the one who’d come closest to meeting his maker the last time he faced Bungee. The Diamond Dog wasn’t about to take any chances.

Mister Snarky’s fight-or-flight reaction leaned closer to the ‘fight’ though.

With a loud cry, the Diamond Dog shot forward, directly at the German Shepherd. But it was quite obvious he was terrified, because there was no order to his attack. He was just swinging his fists from side to side like a maniac. It looked more like an insane man’s stupid dance in an attempt to get some sort of gimmick off the ground.

His ‘attack’ however was cut short by a blast of dark blue light. It was hard to see in just the light of the pale moonlight, but it splashed across Mister Snarky’s chest and flattened the dog into the ground. Groaning, he lifted his head hearing a command.

“Bungee, come!” the voice ordered in a loud authoritative tone.

Looking over his chest, the Diamond Dog saw Bungee jump from Dolt’s back and run to Caramel’s side. Only he didn’t stop. It hadn’t been Caramel Apple’s voice. It had been loud and female. Walking past Caramel, the German Shepherd formed up neatly by the left flank of a tall figure that seemed to melt out of the shadows.

Looking up, both Mister Snarky and Dolt were physically shaken by the sight of Princess Luna with her faithful companion approaching them.

“Bungee, right side,” Luna ordered in a low tone, her glare fixed on the Diamond Dogs.

Without hesitation, Bungee backed off and slipped around behind her, forming on her right echelon; and in a better position to charge the Diamond Dogs if they tried to go for Caramel. Quaking uncontrollably, going for the earth pony was the last thing on either two ogre-mutts’ mind as they managed to slowly scramble to their feet. It was only when Luna gave them some proper instructions on what to do next that they actually moved with purpose.

“Disappear,” the princess snarled in a menacing growl.

And the two Diamond Dogs took off after Alpha, yelping off into the night with their tails between their legs.

Leaving just the two ponies and the dog standing on the moonlit road in sight of the Canterlot city gates, Caramel Apple smiled gratefully and bowed deeply to the princess of the night. “Thanks, princess.”

Luna grinned, nodding kindly. “As you were, young Caramel.”

The earth-pony stallion gave the princess and her faithful dog a wave before moving on. With his cart in tow, he made the final leg of his journey to Canterlot for some well-deserved rest, and – hopefully – a bountiful sale at the market in the morning.

But for Princess Luna and Bungee-M192 the time for sleep was far off. For them, work had only just begun.

Galloping off into the night, the princess weaved between the inky trees, ducked under low branches and leapt over rocks and exposed roots. And never once leaving her was her steadfast companion. The dog sprinted in time with her, reading her ever motion and only breaking formation when absolutely necessary; so he wouldn’t crash headlong into something. It was like they knew what one another was thinking. Like they shared the same thoughts.

Perhaps even shared the same heartbeat.

With a flap of her wings, Luna launched herself into the air and broke from the treeline, out onto a steep ridge. Angling her hooves down, she landed heavily on a large rock that hung over the cliff-face like a ship’s maidenhead. Framed over the treetops behind her were the towering mountains and the shimmering city of Canterlot. Ahead of her lay the vast plains of Equestria, sprawled out for her to watch over. Quiet and peaceful under her canvas of glittering stars.

At the same time, Bungee broke through the undergrowth behind her, shuffling up the rock and perching himself beside the princess.

Looking down at her faithful companion, Luna smiled. Looking up at his handler, Bungee returned the gesture; the left corner of his mouth tugging upward into a smirk.

The two of them stood vigil over the ponies of Equestria. Smiling guardians of the night under the full moon.

Seeing that moon again, shining like the first night he’d come to Equestria; there was no fighting instinct anymore. Lifting up one foreleg to his chest, Bungee raised his head and howled to the moon. He howled with happiness; at the top of his lungs and with every fibre in his being.

Though he would remember and love Samantha – he would always remember – the howl freed him of his past convictions. Freed him of his burdens and his grief. It propelled him into his new life; his new responsibilities.

It marked the first chapter of Bungee’s next memoir. And for all the same reasons; Luna howled with him…



Princess Luna is my handler. We eat together. We sleep together. We train together. We play together. We fight together.

I can find things she can’t. I can disable the bad guys she’s too slow to reach. She keeps me safe. I keep her safe. We can count on each other. She’s my best friend.

My name is Bungee. I like breakfast, my squeaky tennis ball and playing catch.

I am a Military Working Dog.



The End