• Published 13th Feb 2012
  • 6,904 Views, 73 Comments

Transformers: Harmony - megatron_91



The Transformers arrive on Equestria and Twilight Sparkle is the only one who can help them.

  • ...
11
 73
 6,904

Chapter 18

Transformers: Harmony
Chapter 18
By: Megatron_91


From her hiding space amongst the crumbling, tattered buildings Twilight watched as the two titanic leaders of the Cybertronian race clashed with brutal fury. Her heart was gripped with fear and panic as sparks and shavings of metal flew into the air around Optimus and Megatron as they brawled. On more than one occasion, the two had gotten too close to her hideaway for comfort. They were landing blows against each other that would instantly kill anyone who did not possess the same endurance as the two legendary commanders.

Twilight knew she had to help somehow. Both combatants had been going at each other for a number of minutes now and Megatron still looked to be in good shape. Apart from the open and dented wound in the middle of his chest, and a few “bleeding” spots of Energon that had appeared in various places on his body he was holding up surprisingly well. Optimus on the other hoof wasn’t so fortunate. Even after reclaiming his sword, the Autobot was beginning to show signs of fatigue. The Decepticon tyrant had managed to land a good number of powerful attacks on his enemy even without the aid of his fusion cannon. Prime had smoke emerging from various cracks on his chest that Megatron had managed to open, and his entire body seemed to arc with loose energy from damaged internal systems. Small flows of Energon were running down the surfaces of his arms and legs.

From the sidelines, she watched as the Autobot commander took a desperate chance to make a strike at Megatron with his blade, hoping to lodge it into the tyrant’s skull. But the Decepticon was too quick and simply stepped to the side, making the blade miss by several feet; Prime was beginning to weaken severely. Winding his arm back, Megatron delivered a debilitating punch to the underside of Prime’s chin.

The lavender mare observed splintering, web-like cracks spread across Optimus’s faceplate as the fist made contact with his enemy’s chin. Optimus slid backwards from the force of the blow and used his sword to maintain balance. Very slowly Megatron was wearing the leader of the Autobots down.

“It seems you’re beginning tire out, old friend,” Megatron taunted, looking on as Optimus raised his sword back into attacking position. “Even without my weapons I am still besting you. But then again, what would one expect when a simple librarian goes against the former leader of Cybertron’s planetary armies?” The Decepticon let loose with a booming laugh, almost as if he was challenging Prime.

Twilight’s mind instantly froze as she heard Megatron speak. Optimus Prime had once been a librarian!? B-But she was a li-.

Before she could finish her thoughts, the Autobot commander unleashed a furious battle cry as he charged at the Decepticon with his sword again. The mare winced slightly as Megatron easily dodged each one of Prime’s swings until the Autobot leader was leaning in front of him, desperately trying to recover his strength. She had to think of something she could do or Optimus wouldn’t last much longer. She quietly began gathering herself and her thoughts so she could launch a spell at the Decepticon Emperor of Destruction.

“Do you know what the difference between the two of us is, Prime?” the silver Decepticon asked. He delivered a powerful, sweeping kick that knocked his ancient enemy flat on his stomach. “Unlike me, you choose to hide your true strength; you fight alongside your armies, your ‘friends’ instead of taking the fight into your own hands” he mocked. “That is why you lose!!”

Before Optimus could move, Megatron began delivering a horrifyingly powerful round of blows, burying Prime into the street. His balled fists came together as they slammed repeatedly into Prime’s back. Sparks and energon flew in every direction as the Decepticon leader continued with his savage attack. He smiled with glee as he landed every blow to his eternal enemy. He couldn’t help but relish the feeling of another Cybertronian’s Energon splashing against him as he readied himself to deliver the killing blow.

Finally, and with much effort, Optimus managed to block one of the Decepticon’s violent beatings with his still held sword and rolled away to counterattack. A deep impression had been left in the street where the Autobot leader had been lying.

Prime slowly lifted himself to his feet as Megatron took another moment to laugh and mock him. He frantically looked over his silver foe for any sign of weakness. Much to his confusion, he noticed a strange, glowing aura of purple energy was carefully snaking its way up Megatron’s lower left leg. Optimus looked towards the shattered buildings to his left and could see Twilight gently smiling at him, the horn atop her head was lit with magical energy. Putting two-and-two together, Prime stood up to face his mortal enemy once more for what would hopefully be the final time.

“You’re wrong, Megatron,” Optimus calmly stated as he stared down the tyrant optic-to-optic. “What you fail to see is that my comrades, my friends, those who I choose to fight alongside, are my true strength!!” he suddenly yelled. Before Megatron knew what was happening, the Autobot leader gathered all the remaining strength in his body and swung his sword back to deliver one more, powerful blow to his Decepticon opposite.

Acting just as he has before, Megatron quickly began to take a step backwards so he could dodge the oncoming attack, but instantly found that something was wrong.

His left leg was completely unresponsive.

Panicking, he looked down and was shocked to find his leg completely engulfed in a swirling mass of purple, otherworldly energy. As time slowed around him, he frantically began searching for the source of the strange power. It took only moments to spot the lavender unicorn that had challenged him earlier. She was hiding inside one of the nearby buildings and her horn was a light with energy.

“YOU!?” The tyrant roared in disbelief as he saw the young unicorn smirking at him.

But it was far too late. Optimus Prime unleashed his fury and sent his blade slamming against the Decepticon leader’s body. The edge of the glowing, Energon-powered sword instantly caught into the gash Twilight had made in Megatron’s chest earlier and tore it open with the sickening sound of wrenching metal.

The Decepticon Leader, one of the most feared beings in the galaxy, screamed in pain as his torso exploded outwards from the force of Prime’s strike. Energon, wires, and internal components sprayed into the hot, smoky air. From her place in the building Twilight released her hold on Megatron’s leg and the Decepticon leader tumbled backwards. He crashed to the broken ground as Energon began to gush out of his open wound, spilling to the road beneath him.

As Megatron tried to lift his broken body off the ground, Optimus walked over and pinned the Decepticon leader by placing a massive, metal oott onto the crippled Decepticon’s stomach. Prime slowly lifted his blade skyward and positioned it over Megatron’s now exposed spark chamber. The sword glistened in what little sunlight it could reflect as the Decepticon leader looked on with slight fear in his blood-red optics.

“This ends now, Megatron,” Optimus growled. “For all the lives you took on Cybertron and for all the lives you’ve taken during our stay on this world.” He looked Megatron in the optic as he spoke and tensed his body as he readied to deliver the final blow that would end their longstanding rivalry.

Suddenly, and before Prime could deliver the fateful blow, what appeared to be a blast of pressurized air flew towards him, knocking him off the damaged Decepticon tyrant. As the burst of air exploded across Optimus’s chest, it let out an earsplitting sonic-boom. The familiar blue-and-silver form of Soundwave emerged from the other side of a nearby building. He was rushing towards the two combatants while rapidly firing his large, Sonic Resonance Blaster in an attempt to ward the Autobot away from his damaged leader.

As the Decepticon master spy continued to sprint towards them, his back split open and Laserbeak instantly sprang out, taking flight into the air. The metallic buzzard shrieked and dove at Optimus Prime, attacking the Autobot commander’s face with his razor sharp talons, tearing off chunks of his cracked faceplate. While Prime was distracted by Laserbeak’s frantic and wild attack, Soundwave managed to get down next to Megatron.

“Lord Megatron, you have suffered immense damage at the hands of Optimus Prime,” Soundwave reported, stating the obvious: much to Megatron’s annoyance. “Celestia and Luna have arrived to provide the Autobots with reinforcements, we must fall back,” the Decepticon spymaster requested in his usual, reverberating voice. He gently began to lift Megatron off the ground and positioned himself so his leader could lean against his back and shoulder. “The battle is lost. Blackout and Incinerator have fallen and Starscream has taken heavy injury. He has already retreated to the ship for repairs. You must do the same if you are to continue functioning.”

Megatron coughed, sending drops of Energon flying from his mouth to the ground. “Is the Nemesis repaired?” he asked. If Megatron couldn’t keep his enemy from taking the matrix himself, than he’d blow it, and this entire Primus-forsaken city, off the face of the planet with the Nemesis’s cannons.

“It is flight capable,” Soundwave responded as he used his arm to help further support the toppling, silver Decepticon. “But the weapons are still offline; it cannot launch an aerial bombardment in its current state.” He informed Megatron, reminding the enraged Decepticon of his limited, mindreading abilities. “I highly suggest we make a tactical withdrawal, it is the only way to ensure your empire continues to exist after this confrontation.”

“Very well,” Megatron weakly growled. “Soundwave, contact any remaining Vehicons and tell them to commence with an immediate, full-scale retreat. Optimus Prime may have one this battle…but our war is far, far from over.”

The Decepticon’s communications officer nodded his head in affirmation and sent out a message detailing the retreat from the field of battle. He quickly received acknowledgement of the request from over a dozen, still-functioning Vehicons before turning to acquire a tighter grip on his wounded leader. Not wanting to waste the precious time Laserbeak was buying them; he leaned down and scooped Megatron up into his arms before igniting the jet engines he kept hidden in his legs in case of emergencies.

As Soundwave began to lift into the air, Laserbeak ceased his assault on Optimus’ head and took to the skies, following his master in retreat. Once at Soudwave’s side, the Cybertronic buzzard made a quick sweep of the scarred landscape before diving down to a point in the distance. He resurfaced moments later, carrying Megatron’s Fusion Cannon in his talons.

Prime chased after them for a moment before realizing it would do no good. The two Decepticons were already disappearing into the smoke-filled skies, too far away to be damaged with any of Prime’s close ranged weapons. And, by the time he would have found his Ion Blaster, Megatron and Soundwave would already be long gone. The Decepticon tyrant and Emperor of Destruction would unfortunately live to see another day. He lingered a few moments before finally accepting Megatron’s escape. Instead, the Autobot commander decided to turn his attention to the brave Equestrian who had aided him in Megatron’s defeat.

He found Twilight standing outside the crumbled structure she had been taking refuge in earlier. The small, lavender mare had a large grin on her face as he approached. Optimus leaned down onto one knee so he could more easily address the courageous unicorn. He took silent note of the numerous scrapes and bruises that covered her small body.

“Oh my gosh, you actually beat him!!” Twilight excitedly chirped. Watching Soundwave and Megatron retreat had lightened Twilight’s mood tremendously. It felt like a massive weight of guilt and worry had been lifted off her back. They had won! Megatron was defeated and the power of the Matrix wasn’t going to fall into his destructive hands. She breathed a sigh of relief.

“It is only thanks to you, Twilight. Had it not been for your last-minute help, Megatron may have finally gotten away with destroying me,” he stated. Despite the serious nature of his speech there was still a bit of lightheartedness in the way Optimus said the words.

“I-It was nothing,” Twilight stuttered as she blushed at the Autobot Commander’s praise. “But now that Megatron and Soundwave are gone what do we do about the remaining drones? Shouldn’t we try to destroy them before they can cause more damage?”

Optimus placed a finger on her back to reassure the young unicorn. “I am certain that Prowl and Ironhide will be able to handle cleanup, Twilight,” he chuckled. “In the meantime however, would you like to accompany me in recovering an artifact that should have been found a long, long time ago?”

Twilight nodded her head as she began to lead Optimus back towards the Crystal Library.

………

Optimus led the way as he and Twilight gently descended into the cavern that was hidden underneath the now destroyed library. They made their way in through the hole that Megatron had opened in the street tied to ropes that suspended them in the air as they made their way down; a special invention created by Wheeljack. They had been intended, and specifically designed, to support the weight of Cybertronians. As the pair traveled farther downward, Prime illuminated the three lamps that ringed the top of his locomotive chest. Instantly, the crystallized water throughout the cavern captured the light and reflected back, displaying a dazzling show for the two adventurers as they gently set their feet and hooves down on the wet, rock floor of the cave. Amusingly, Twilight had to fight to maintain her balance on the slick surface.

The lavender-coated mare looked around the cavern in awe. The massive stalagmites looked like towering, castle spires and the light shining from Optimus’ chest made the Flowstone, rock walls jump alive and appear to be moving like a vertical waves in an ocean. Flowstone, as she head read, was a rare kind of rock that was shaped when a sheet like deposit of calcites formed where water flows down the walls or along the floors of a cave. Twilight thought it was some of the most beautiful stone in all of Equestria.
As she continued to admire the shining splendor of the different crystals and minerals shining in the light, she noticed that the light was beginning to shift. Turning around, she found the reason, the Autobot leader had begun moving across the rocky floor. He almost looked like he was in some kind of trance.

“Optimus?” she asked, confused by the Autobot’s unnatural actions. Her voice echoed across the cave.

He did not answer her. The only sound in the silent cave was that of small drops of water falling from the stalactites above to the pools below and, yet, it almost seemed like Optimus was being drawn towards the back of the cave as if he were being called on by a voice Twilight could not hear. The unicorn briefly wondered if Optimus had some innate connection to the Matrix. He was making a beeline towards the carved out tunnel Shining Armor had found earlier. Twilight stood in shock for a brief moment as she realized it had only been a few hours since she and her brother had explored this cavern. It seemed like ages.

Twilight cautiously followed Optimus into the strange, unnatural tunnel. Unlike the Flowstone outside, the walls of this passageway were smooth and had been cut by some kind of tool long ago. Iron beams had been laid into the rock on both sides and the ceiling in order to offer structural support to the aging rock. The remains of an aged, iron door sat slumped against one of the tunnel walls, almost as if whoever carved the tunnel intend to add an extra layer of protection, but either ran out of time, or was prevented from doing so by an unknown force. The lavender mare didn’t like the look of it.

As the duo rounded a bend in the path she was surprised to see that the tunnel was much shorter than she had been expecting. She could already see it exiting into a small, rounded chamber. She tried to warn Optimus to be careful, but he wasn’t listening. He was still moving forward in his trance-like state.

The chamber ahead of them was just as bare and empty as the tunnel they were standing in. The same dirty, brown walls and iron supports stood on all sides of the rounded room. She didn’t know what she had been expecting, but it certainly wasn’t this. The only feature across the carved, dusty walls was a strange, metal dome. It looked like somepony had rammed a giant, iron ball into the wall and left it there. But, as they entered the room she yelped in surprise as the seemingly lifeless iron began to glow with otherworldly energy and a loud, but somehow soothing voice filled the entire chamber.

“Welcome, Optimus Prime.” The peaceful, but commanding voice said. Twilight fell into absolute silence as she listened to the voice continue. “I am all that remains of the legendary Knights of Cybertron. And I have long awaited your foretold arrival.” The voice went silent for a few moments before continuing. It seemed as if it was trying to sift through memories as old as time itself. “Optimus Prime, throughout your time as the Prime you have proven yourself to be different from the long line of Primes that failed before you. You have transformed the lives of all those around you; you have led the people of Cybertron through the darkest of hours, the very death of Cybertron itself; and, despite all of this, you still find the courage to defend a new, much younger race in the face of evil. Primus has deemed you more than worthy, Optimus Prime. Are you ready to accept the token of the burden placed upon your shoulders by the Lord of Light, Primus, himself?”

“I am.” Oprtimus answered, slightly startling Twilight as he spoke up for the first time since entering the cavern. He stood completely still, unflinching as the other-worldly voice spoke resumed its speech.

“THEN BEHOLD: THE CREATION MATRIX!” the voice boomed, filling the chamber with echoes of itself. The metal sphere began to split in half and slowly fill the room with the same peaceful, blue light that Twilight had seen in Prowl’s hologram of the Matrix.

Then she saw it, floating in the center of the open, iron dome.

The Creation Matrix was just as beautiful as the hologram had led her to believe. The lights in its center danced and swayed, reflecting off its gold casings with a beauty unlike anything Twilight had ever seen. It mesmerized her as she stared at it; she could feel it reaching out and touching parts of her mind that had never been felt before. It truly was an artifact of great power and wisdom.

The Matrix unexpectedly began to emit a beam of the purest, white light Twilight had ever seen from its hexagonal core. The shaft of light struck Optimus Prime’s damaged chest and, in response, the Autobot leader’s chest began to change slightly. It split down the middle, opening like a kitchen cabinet. Instantly, the legendary relic of Cybertron flew from its place inside the metal sphere and lodged itself inside Optimus Prime’s chest. As soon as the matrix made contact, the blinding light began to expand and fill the small cavern like a dying supernova. Twilight was forced to throw her right leg over her eyes to prevent herself from going blind. The light seemed to sing like angels as it flooded the chamber.

As the glow quietly faded, and the cavern returned to normal and Twilight removed her leg from her face and looked at the Autobot leader. His entire body had been healed of the injuries inflicted by Megatron and he seemed to be glowing with a radiance she couldn’t explain. For some reason, to her, Optimus looked complete now. He looked down at her, and although she couldn’t see it behind his featureless faceplate, she knew he was smiling. She returned the smile as the two began to make their way towards the cavern’s exit…

………

The sun quietly began its final descent into the night as it looked out across Sweet Apple Acres, casting its radiance down upon the assembled ponies and alien warriors. In particular the light reflected off of the deep, red finish that adorned Optimus Prime’s body as he stood beneath one of the many, mighty apple trees that dotted the landscape. He watched as his soldiers and friends set about their work. He had granted the Autobots permission to reveal themselves to young Applejack’s family so that Wheeljack could keep a promise he had made to the orange-coated mare.

It had now been three weeks since the battle for the Creation Matrix had come to its end.

During the intervening time, the Autobots had done everything in their power to help rebuild the devastated Crystal Empire. It was under Celestia’s orders that the city’s residents had been sworn to secrecy about the battle, and the alien presence on their world. Deep down however, despite Celestia’s intentions, Prime couldn’t help but feel that the time for this world to know of him and his Cybertronian brothers would soon be at hand. Especially now that Megatron was once again loose on the planet. By the time the Autobots had returned to the Hanging Valley in hopes of capturing the wounded, Decepticon Leader, the Nemesis had long since disappeared, moving on to another part of the planet.

Optimus was not disappointed by Megatron’s escape. He knew there would be other battles, other chances to bring his old friend to justice. For now, he would take each day and each battle as it came, protecting the people of Equestria as best as he could until the day came where Megatron was either destroyed or behind bars.

Despite the heavy thoughts on his mind, the Autobot leader couldn’t help but chuckle slightly as he glanced down at the young filly on the ground below him. Applebloom, as she was called, was both Applejack’s younger sister and a child full of enthusiasm and drive. He watched as the young, red-haired filly ducked and weaved in and around Wheeljack’s large legs as the Autobot engineer put the finishing touches on the device he had been working on. The device in question was a large, iron block with many tubes and gears protruding at all manners of angles.

Moving carefully, and with calculated precision, Wheeljack aligned the long shaft sitting on top of the device with his calculated angle of trajectory and fired a large, metal slug high into the air. The slug exploded with a slight popping sound and, within a matter of mere moments, Optimus watched as the sky began to fill with dark, swelling clouds. They quickly blotted out the final rays of the setting sun.

The first, large drops of water began to slowly fall from the sky and ping off Optimus’s thick armor. Soon enough, the globules of water started falling more and more frequent until mass sheets of rain were pouring from the sky, bringing life to the dried fields surrounding him. He watched with amusement and pride as the ponies surrounding Wheeljack and the rest of the Autobots began to cheer and dance, thanking the engineer for what was such a simple feat by Cybertronian standards, but a miracle for them. As the rain continued to restore life to the dying soil, Optimus slowly turned and watched as the sheets washed over the fresh grave that was marked beside him.

Bluestreak, Optimus thought to himself as he watched the water run down the tombstone that had been placed beside the mighty tree. In the time the Autobots had spent on Equestria, as well as in and around Canterlot and Ponyville, Bluestreak had come to love the lands surrounding Sweet Apple Acres. Fortunately, Applejack and her family had been more than kind enough to allow the Autobots to bury their fallen comrade on their land. I wish you peace as you reside with your fallen friends and family in the All Spark, Bluestreak. As Optimus spoke these words in his mind he couldn’t help but notice that Twilight Sparkle had approached and joined him in looking over the red-and-silver Autobot’s grave. A look of sorrow was plastered over her young face.

Slowly, but carefully Prime fell to one knee and placed a reassuring finger on the bridge of her back. He smiled as she looked up at him. “Twilight, I promise that Bluestreak is where he wants to be now. He suffered through much trial and tribulation during his life, stemming from the fall of his home, Praxus, and the loss of his friends and family because of that. He always blamed himself for not being there to protect them when they needed him most, but, trust me when I tell you, he is finally at peace.”

“I know…” A small smile of her own formed on her lips as the violet unicorn responded to Prime’s claims.

As Optimus watched the small unicorn sitting under his index finger, he couldn’t help but ponder on what the future might hold for her. He began to think back to the words Celestia had shared with him after the battle in the Crystal Empire. Much to his surprise she had actually thanked him and the rest of the Autobots for bringing Twilight and her friends into the fight with the Decepticons. She told them that she had always expected the two groups to meet some day and had been planning on it. She spoke of how she believed the trials Twilight had faced during her time with the Autobots were the final signs she needed to prove that the young unicorn was ready to fulfill her ultimate destiny.

A destiny that, at this point in time, I am not sure I entirely agree with. Prime silently thought to himself. But, what Celestia had told him was true. By facing the trials that were set before her, he too was beginning to believe that Twilight Sparkle has the makings of a great leader.

Slowly, Optimus removed his finger from Twilight’s back and stood back up. He looked out into the sky, through the dark, rain-filled clouds, towards where he knew his far away home world lay. Raising his finger to the side of his head, inspired by the words Celestia had shared with him and the prospects of Twilight’s future, he activated his comm-link and began to speak, recording a message that may one day find its way into the hands of Cybertron’s future leaders long after the war and his time were over…

In any role in life there are times when we face trials that no other being would wish to endure. We are tried with the possibilities of failing the ones we care about and losing the friends and comrades we hold dear. But, it is how we face these trials that mark the greatness of a true leader. I am Optimus Prime. And I send this message so it may be recorded amongst the annals of Cybertronian history; in hopes that one day perhaps it will come in use to the future leaders of our race.

End