• Published 22nd Jun 2013
  • 9,482 Views, 471 Comments

Restless Spirits - Maverick Huntress



A forgotten soul stalks the streets of Canterlot, silent as his namesake. Even though his former life ended ages ago, he still remains among the living. Ghost of Task Force 141 never died, he just went MIA

  • ...
69
 471
 9,482

Detonation

CANTERLOT, EQUESTRIA
AUGUST THE SEVENTH, 1003
CANTERLOT CASTLE, INFORMAL DINING ROOM
12:41 PM
-------

"No."

Celestia sighed and slumped in defeat, a chair cushioning her fall as she looked at the one creature in Equestria that could make a difference. "But why not? From what Luna told me, you seemed right at home taking out those Guards. You have skills our best fighters desire, experience that our troops could never earn, and a mind sharper then the sword you carried the night you were captured. Equestria needs soldiers like you. War is inevitable but I'd like to be prepared when it happens."

Ghost shook his head, a common sign of irritation. "Plenty of reasons why, with one of them being that I've fought for the last ten years of my life. Ten years of being surround by death and destruction following in my wake, and it seems they followed me here too. I never wanted this. A little peace and quiet is all I wanted- no more fighting. No more death. No more war." The harsh tone of the soldier's voice softened up, his muscles relaxing as he leaned on the balcony railing. "Life is short, as I have learned on the battlefield, and I'd like to enjoy the time I have left."

The Sun Goddess blinked a few times, surprised at the softness of his voice. It was a tone she was familiar with, but it had been a while since she had last heard it. Memories of Luna's return came rushing back to the white alicorn, reminding her of how her sister wished, no, begged for forgiveness of her actions.. And it seems that Ghost would like the same, though his bear a much greater weight. Celestia got up from her seat and stood by him, her left wing slightly extended over his back. He flinched at her touch, but made no move to resist the action.

"I understand your decision, and I know you have your reasons for it but I shall ask you one thing before I make up my mind about this matter."

Restless Spirit looked up at the alicorn, his expression blank expect for a slightly raised eyebrow. "Which is....?"

"That you train a small number of troops, no more then twenty at least once a week. The Equestrian Guard cannot be everywhere at once, and I need a team that can take care of threats that are normally out of bounds. From what you told me, this what you use to do when you served."

"It was, and we were damn good at it too. Unfortunately, I don't think I know how to train a bunch of ponies by myself, much less adapt my techniques so that they can use them. It would be like showing Sherlock Holmes how to pilot a space shuttle- impossible."

Celestia folded her wing, sensing the familiar tone he had been using the moment she first met him. "And why is that?"

"Well two things: One- He's a fictional character and two- What is the point of a detective learning how to fly something into space?"

Celestia chuckled lightly, causing the unusual creature before her to give the mare the barest hint of a smile. "Those are good points, but this is something you will not be doing alone. You will be aided by the Captain of the Royal Guard himself."

"Well that's going to be awkward, considering he looked like was about to kick me in the face last time we met. Then again, I'd probably do the same if I was in his position so I can't really blame him."

"Really? He's usually quite adept at masking his feelings, especially after the invasion. A side effect of have your wife being impersonated by a insectoid who wishes to feast on your emotions."

"How the hell does that even work anyways? And why love of all things? Plenty of other emotions to feed off of."

Celestia sighed, shaking her head. "Even I do not know, though I wish I did. If we were able to somehow supply them with a suitable replacement, our races might live in harmony together one day."

"You still want to make friends with them even after what they did to you?"

"Yes, I do. It is better to have many friends then many enemies, and besides- they would make very useful spies if Equestria was ever threatened. Ponies aren't the best at blending in, as you have learned."

"Ha, looking at it from both perspectives are ya? I guess it would be good to have shape-shifters at your disposal, though it would help to have a way of identifying them so they don't worm their way into the government and muck things up. Speaking of which, what kind of government does Equestria have? I know you and your sister run the country but thats about it."

"It's a constitutional diarchy, which means that Luna and I are the highest authorities but are required to only deal with issues dealing with the general health of Equestria while everything else is handled by Parliament. Anything they cannot settle is also sent to us. It doesn't sound like much but it's harder than everyone thinks to run a country and keep everyone inside of your boarders happy."

Ghost rubbed his chin thoughtfully, taking this in. "Interesting, my country has a setup that is similar but the Queen and other royals are more like figureheads while the Prime Minister handles everything else along with Parliament. It's a pretty effective system considering that the Queen doesn't live for a thousand years and doesn't raise the Sun or anything."

"Then who does? Surely someone must."

Ghost let out a gruff-sounding sigh. "No one raises the sun, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned before that it doesn't move. At all. The planets orbit around it, with the moon orbiting my planet. No magic is involved whatsoever in disappearance and reappearance of the celestial bodies. At all."

Now it was Celestia's turn to take this in, her eyebrows furrowed in concentration as she tried to figure out how that would work. Something clicked in her mind and she let out a 'Ah' of understanding. "Is it due to the Sun's gravitational pull on your planet that makes it orbit? And I assume that the same occurs with the moon, though instead of the sun its your planet's that keeps it on course."

Ghost let out an 'Uhhhhhh" and shrugged his shoulders, causing the white alicorn to roll her eyes. "Something like that. I think. I just know that the Earth's axis is slanted and that it rotates due to the magnetic field generated by the core. I'm honestly surprised I remember any of this stuff since it was probably a good fifteen, twenty years ago when I learned it."

"Look like we've both learned something interesting today. I wonder how Luna will take it that your moon moves on its own and that there isn't anyone 'in control of the celestial bodies' as you put it. In fact, let's go pay her a visit. I bet she's awfully bored listening to those scientists drone on and on about things I barely understand."

"Hey, you understood the concept of rockets pretty well. I doubt there's much you don't know about."

"I guess, but I am not omniscient though many seem to think so. Now, off to visit my sister!"

------
CANTERLOT, EQUESTRIA
AUGUST THE SEVENTH, 1003
CANTERLOT RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT LAB NINE-THREE-FIVE
12:49 PM
-------


Ghost felt the familiar feeling of helplessness as his feet broke contact the ground, his body growing cold in span of nothingness he occupied. Fortunately, it was not long until he felt the comforting surface of solid ground beneath his feet and the soldier sucked in a breath of air, only to find his mouth full of smoke and the nasty taste of explosive powder lingering in cloud. "Ah what the hell!" Ghost spat out the taste the best he could, his spit a muddied brown on as it landed on the dimly-lit floor.

The british soldier looked upward to see why their was smoke in the air and saw a most unexpected scene. Parts of the wall have been blown apart and the lights above him shone with the luminance of a dying torch, the tables beneath them obliterated and reduced to ruble. Ponies were laid against the wall, with the more medically-talented doing their best to patch up those with open wounds and pieces of shrapnel embedded in their flesh. Luna was currently watching over the ponies who weren't currently being treated, doing her best to comfort them. Something else bugged Ghost though, more so than some of the injuries the ponies bore. All of magically-inclined weren't using magic.

"Shit." Was all Ghost said as he made his way over to the blue alicorn, dodging a swinging light on it's last cable. He managed to get over to her without alarming any of the ponies, though that was one of his lower priorities at the moment. "What in the bloody hell happened here?" He asked Luna.

The blue alicorn looked at him with eyes full of terror and sadness, though she struggled to hide these feelings. "I-I don't know. One moment we were preforming research on some of your equipment when green spheres suddenly started flying through the air. At first we were able to protect ourselves with magic but then we all felt an odd sensation in our bodies and suddenly our barrier fell. Fortunately, most of the green spheres had already detonated and all of us survived the ordeal with minor wounds. I thought Strip had told you this before you came."

"Who the fuck is Strip? Wait, a second... You said you sent him a while ago to get help we before we arrived right?" Luna nodded her head. "Alright,who is Strip and what does he look like?"

"Mobius Strip, as that is his full name, is a light-green earth pony with darker green hair and a single black stripe running through the middle of it and was one of the scientists examining your equipment. Mobius had taken a interest in one of your cylinders after we discovered it held raw magic contained inside of it not long after we learned the use of the green spheres from a previous test."

"This," Ghost gestured around him. "couldn't have been done by a lone semtex or frag grenade. Where the hell did you get more of them!?"

"Klein was the one ponies who worked on the replication spell, though he suffered a severe cranial injury shortly before the spheres began to explode. We found him in the room next door after the dust has settled."

Ghost grunted and got up, looking around the room for a moment until he noticed the familiar steel grey color his ACR. He made his way over to the table and checked the magazine, switching out the non-lethal dart for the deadly ammunition that it was built to fire. He switched off the safety before making his way back over to where Celestia and Luna were sitting, with the elder comforting her sister. "Alright, here's the plan: Luna, you stay here and help out the others the best you can. He's not going to suspect us to follow him judging by how many frags he threw and that should give us the advantage Celestia, you go alert the Guards and tell them to keep a look-out for a green unicorn with a single black stripe in his hair. They are to persue but not engage- They will wait until I have given them the signal, is that clear?"

"Yes, but what is this signal if I may ask?"

Ghost slid back the pin, a menacing click following suit. "You'll know it when you hear it."

------
CANTERLOT, EQUESTRIA
AUGUST THE SEVENTH, 1003
CANTERLOT AIRSPACE
1:21 PM
-------

Shining Armor watch from a chariot far above the city of Canterlot, his magically-enhanced binoculars allowing him to scan the streets far before him with crystal-clear sight. They had gotten word that the pony matching the description given to them by Princess Celestia herself was somewhere on Celestial avenue but so far they were having no such luck locating him.

"Any luck sir?

"Unfortunately no. He's had plenty of time to escape and most likely has. Anypony want to tell me why I have troops scanning the area for some unicorn?"

Shining cringed as a third voice entered the conversation, his chest piece flashing every time he spoke."We're searching for Mobius because he has weapons capable of causing massive destruction and he almost killed more then a dozen ponies along with Princess Luna with said weapons.. Now shut up and keep your eyes open."

The Captain of the Royal Guard grumbled, muttering something very unprofessional as he raised the binoculars to his eyes once more and hating the fact that he was being given orders by the same beast who had been locked up a few days ago. "Who does he think he is, bossing me around like that? I could have imprisoned for talking to me like that..." The white unicorn absently scanned the ground below, his blue eyes noticing a black stripe against green hair amid a flurry of colors.

"Target located on Third Street, heading towards out the outskirts. Spitfire, prepare your team for a snag n' bag, I don't want to make this operation public." Shining Armor kept his eyes on the green unicorn as the mare accepted her orders, a certain masked creature crossing the rooftop towards Mobius with the grace and speed of a well-trained pegasus. 'For somepony who looks like he's been through Tartarus and back he can run pretty damn fast. Heck, I bet that he'd give the Element of Loyalty a run for her bits.'

He reached the edge of the rooftop where Mobius stood mere feet from, pulling out the strange thing strapped to his back. Restless Spirit, as some of the Guard had called him, laid down and propped the device up on the edge, which looked surprisingly similar to a crossbow. This realization caused Shining's eyes to widen in surprise as he heard a thundering noise penetrate the normal sound barrier that covered Canterlot's lower districts. Ponies panicked and ran for their lives as things around them suddenly exploded into a thousand pieces, with broken pottery and obliterated pastry flying everywhere. "What the-" The stallion viewing the city from above suddenly understood what was happening as he saw the flattened shape below move his weapon in the same direction as the hit objects. "This is our only chance now go go go!"

A trio of pegasi suddenly shot into view, a bag linked to each of them via rope. They swooped down and managed to bag Mobius without issue, flying in and out without drawing attention. They flew by Shining Armor's chariot and gave him a nod, confirming that the mission was a success. "Alright, I'm glad that's over with. Everypony head back to the castle, our work here is done."

------
CANTERLOT, EQUESTRIA
AUGUST THE SEVENTH, 1003
CANTERLOT AIRSPACE
1:53 PM
-------

Ghost pushed through the doors leading to the hanger where the pegasi geared up, his ACR once again resting on his back. A few of the equines present in hanger looked at him with varying expressions, though most looked away as soon as they realized it was a skull imprinted on his balaclava. He made his way over to where the three pegasi he had witness bag Mobius were chatting, all of them oblivious to his approach. The commando stopped a few feet away from them and cough, trying to get their attention but was unable to.

"Screw this." Ghost drew out ACR and fired a couple of round, the shots tearing through the exterior of the hanger like it was paper and drew all eyes toward him. "Thank you, and that I have you attention I ask that you hand over the bag Mobius has on him."

The pegasi to his right, which for some strange reason had her mane flared up like fire, broke away from the group and faced him. "And why should we? We have received no such order and I don't believe you have the authority to do that."

"Well then, have fun being blown to smithereens when those bombs in his pack explode." Ghost turned and waved goodbye, a clock in his counting down. 'Three.... Two....'

"Wait, did you say bombs!? And they're armed!?"

"Oh yeah, they're armed alright. I was just sent down here to defuse them but since you are so confident that you can defuse them on your own I think I'll just let you do it instead." Ghost smirked as he watched the flaming-haired pegasus yell at the other two to grab the bag, carefully handing it to him before flying off once more. "Now if you would to so kind as to deliver Mobius here to the interrogation room, that would be great. After all, it would be a shame if one of these just happened to go off."

The mare's eye narrowed. "You wouldn't."

Ghost crouched down to eye-level and took of his sunglasses, staring directly into her eyes. "Try me."

The flaming-haired pegasus looked into his eyes and Ghost noticed a beat a sweat forming on her forehead, a smiling creeping across his face as she broke contact. "Soarin, Fleetfoot, take stripey here down to the Interrogation room."

The familiar phrase of "Yes Mam'am" followed shortly after as the two pegasi began their journey to same building he had been a few days ago with Mobius still in his bag. Ghost put on his sunglasses and began to make his way out when he was stopped by the flaming-haired pegasus, her grip surprisingly strong for someone without hands,

"Who do you think you are, threatening to kill me and my team like that!? Do you know who we are!?"

Ghost brushed the mare's yellow limb off his shoulder and continued walking. "I know exactly who you are, and I know exactly who I am. Question is, do you?"

"What kind of answer is that? I demand to know who you are or so help me I will have your court-martialed!"

The commando froze upon hear the last two words, a muscle on his trigger arm twitching in anger. He whipped around and stared directly at the pegasus once more, though there was malice in his words when he spoke this time. "I am Lieutenant Simon Riley of Task Force 141. I have gone through hell and back. I have died for my country. And I will kill you if you cross my path. I am clear?"

If Spitfire had been unsettled by Ghost statement, she hid it well. "Crystal." Was all she said.

Ghost turned around and walked away, a smirk appearing on his face as put on his glasses and noticed that their conversation had caught the attention of everyone present in the room. 'Bloody ponies....'

Comments ( 86 )

Bloody ponies indeed.

I would've had ghost snipe him.

Play, that was pretty awesome. But what I don't understand is why every-pony distrusts him so much if Celestia is just fine with him.

i wana seem some ..... Interrogation.......:rainbowkiss:

I thought Ghost was a Sergaent?

Bloody Ponies evrywhere!!

Given the amount of testosterone flowing in every chapter, I am amazed the Celestia isn't pregnant already.

Honestly, tone it down a bit... especially the bits where he goes from 'smirking' to super rage mode in about two sentences.

Where the bloody hell is Roach show him or die!!!

Should have just punched her...

2895572 If ghost shot him they wouldn't know why he stole the frags.

2895753 You can shoot some one with out killing them, shoot of his leg or something.

Spitfire got her shit handed to her

2895765 Or shot his nuts off, that would be just down right cruel though.

Yah see, Ghost is now really a ghost, Or maybe he's a zombie....
Anyway, Interrogation time, Frankly the guy probably would have a better time cutting his nuts off with a spoon.

Great chapter.
Only one thing bothered me.
The sun does move. Just not around the planets.
Since our whole galaxy is moving, and our solar system is moving through that ... yeah.

Well Hot Damn, Look out every one we got a (Legimate) Bad Ass over here.

Now if you would to so kind as to deliver Mobius here to the interrogation room, that would be great

Immediate thought:
memedad.com/memes/15250.jpg

boarders

Should be borders.

I liked it. Here's a moustache. :moustache:

2896142 Ghost was ALWAYS badass

2895760
I want to see him land a round on a moving target and manage to not hit any vital spots or a major blood vessel.
I doubt that Equestria has met bullets before so shooting to wound wasn't am option.

2895683 "I'm pregnant Ghost, and you're the father.":trollestia: (And then their child becomes even more awesome then the both of them combined.)

2896331 We'll just do what the Pythons did and get someone to cross it out and rewrite it...and get a new reader.



Awesome chapter. It was nice to see Shining get chewed out by Ghost. Hope to see more of that.

You wouldn't happen to be a fan of Fallout:NV would you? Two of the name's of the Doctors, Mobius and Klein happen to appear in the DLC Old World Blues. I'm just saying, if Mobius happened to steal the tech due to the world not "being ready for that too-far-thing taking" I will shit bricks.

Now, I said a few days ago on the last chapter I found some errors but I happened to be on my tablet at the time hence I couldn't write it up. Well when I went to my computer a day later I found the ones I could remember were caused by my tablet being weird and messing up text. So what I'm saying is I'm sorry for saying you had errors and then me being unable to correct my mistake.

As a sign of good faith I copied down some mistakes I found as I read. I'm still on my tablet and while I can now tell if the text mistakes might be due to my tablet, please tell me if some are. I can't quote on my tablet so just ctrl+f everything between the [_______]. I hope you keep writing this story up and once again sorry.

[ many friends then many enemies] then should be "than".

[ but thats about it.] thats should be "that's".

[ of your boarders happy] boarders should be "borders".

[ the sun its your planet's] its should be "it's".

[ grey color his ACR.] should be "of" his ACR.

[ and took of his sunglasses] of should be "off".

I was interested when this started, but now i'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next chapter!

Anything they cannot settle is also sent to us. It doesn't sound like much but it's harder than everyone thinks to run a country and keep everyone inside of your boarders happy."

*plays batman theme song*

Nananananananananana Typo!

This is going to be an interesting interrogation.

LOL Grammar Nazis EVERYWHERE.

2899147 well if Ghost is doing it it will involve lethal force and the replacement of several walls, floor tiles and the cieling. Though i would also like to think that the prisoner will be walking with a pronounced limp for the rest of his life

The slight, inaccuracies make this fic slightly annoying to read, I don't really care seeing as how it's like an action movie and I'm reading it because its entertaining and not for the story but still.

2895995 Well Ghost said that he was surprised he remembered what he did since it's been about 15 years since he learned it. So maybe he forgot that one little fact.

He is a soldier, not a scientist c:

If he's immune to mqgic so how celestia teleport him away? 2 times!

2898726

bro. be patient. dont rush him.

2899664
Not really a little fact, lol.
But yeah, I realized that, I just wanted to mention it.

Can we give him a car battery and some wires? Like in Modern Warfare 2 when they interrogate the guy just before you go into the favella.

This may have just been an astronomical coincidence, but I happened to notice something in this chapter:

CANTERLOT, EQUESTRIA
AUGUST THE SEVENTH, 1003
CANTERLOT RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT LAB NINE-THREE-FIVE
12:49 PM

Nine-three-five... As in the group of scientists that were behind (or at least, responsible for) the whole 'zombies' thing in CoD?

If so - Holy shit! Nice easter egg!

If not - Holy shit! Nice coincidence!

2897926
*slow clap*
*sniff* Beautiful.

2903264 Just wait till you hear me do the spiderman theme song. Then you'll be an emotional wreck.

Love this chapter

Love the story. Keep it up

2903080

"Damnit, Luna. Why did you get some 115!? Now we're on the moon and launching WMD's at the earth..."

------
CANTERLOT, EQUESTRIA
AUGUST THE SEVENTH, 1003
CANTERLOT RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT LAB NINE-THREE-FIVE
12:49 PM
-------

I see what you did there.

Login or register to comment