• Published 5th Jun 2013
  • 14,889 Views, 379 Comments

Midnight's Shadow - Ponibius



In the aftermath of the devastating Lunar Rebellion, the newly minted Magus of Equestria, Midnight Sparkle, finds herself embroiled in the chaos in her homeland. Beset on all sides of nefarious foes, Midnight must fight to save Equestria or perish.

  • ...
11
 379
 14,889

Midnight Begins: Chapter 7

Midnight’s Shadow

Midnight Begins: Chapter 7

Some ponies think I am being melodramatic when I say that the universe has something against me. I daresay that they have never had to deal with an angry mob out for their lifesblood. But such are the unique challenges life chooses to throw at me.

“Be still!” Gale yelled over the gathering crowd with all the authority she could bring to bear, though she did not take her eyes off of Subtle Song. Little surprise when she suspected that the bard had betrayed us to the mob. “Cease thy clamor!”

Apple Butter jabbed a hoof in my direction in defiance of Gale’s call for order. “That one burned down mah home and nearly murdered me! Red, Ah demand you arrest that mare!” The mob shouted in agreement with their ringleader.

Red Steel glanced at me before she addressed Apple Butter. “You witnessed this?”

Apple Butter replied with conviction. “Aye, Ah saw her approach mah home when Ah was ‘bout to rest for the night. She used her foul magic to toss a fireball into mah home and set it ablaze, then cackled at her misdeed and walked away. Ah barely escaped mah home before ‘twas consumed by the flames.”

“I did no such thing.” I gave Butter a flat look. “That mare speaks slander 'gainst me. I was with my other companions last night. I even slept with Gale Kicker throughout the night.” ‘Twas somewhat unsettling that I had been accused of attempting to murder the mare. I was, of course, innocent of the crimes Butter laid before me, but the truth often meant little to the mob. They were fickle and violent creatures.

Stalwart nodded while keeping a wary eye. “We were with Midnight last night, and she did no such thing.”

“They lie!” Apple Butter stomped a hoof into the dirt. “You cannot trust the word of outsiders, Red.”

Red Steel grunted and turned to us. “You are her companions. To be blunt, your testimony is suspect.” To my irritation, the militia captain was unwilling to trust us even after our service to Appleton. I supposed she had a duty to confirm the truth of the matter, but it should have been obvious to her. “When exactly did she attack you, Butter?”

“During the middle of the night,” Butter said. “Ah was driven to such a fright that Ah was forced to seek shelter with mah kin. If that mare was willing to murder me with a fire, who is to say what she will not do?”

I snorted at the accusation. “I know not who destroyed thy home, but I had no part in the deed. Also, I take offense at the declaration that I am so incompetent that I could not successfully murder some backcountry farmer. I would not start a fire and leave it to chance that ‘twould consume my intended victim.” Clearing my throat, I continued defending my competence. “Neigh, if I were to plot this mare’s demise, I would have been successful. For you see, I would use a veil to sneak into her home and take a knife from her kitchen. From there, I would proceed up to her bedroom while she slept, slit her throat, and leave the murder weapon by the corpse, thus leaving nopony alive to see what I had done. Then ‘twould have been a simple matter to knock over an oil lamp to set the house on fire and destroy most evidence of a misdeed. 'Twould be an easy feat for a magus of my ability.”

Silence fell ‘pon the gathered crowd, and I smiled with satisfaction. No doubt they had been stunned by the logic of my argument and enlightened of their ignorance.

Gale coughed, gaining Red’s attention. “Thou dost have to concede that she is right; ‘twould likely be mistaken as a mere accident. ‘Tis not uncommon for ponies to be taken by a fire in their sleep.”

“Aye, that is true,” Red admitted. She puckered her lips before looking back to Butter. “And what motive would she have for burning thy home?”

“Ah...” Butter visibly struggled with her next statement. I wondered if she was merely lying in the hopes of removing an agent of the Crown from Appleton. Though mayhaps instead she was sincere in her belief that I had destroyed her home and nearly slew her? ‘Twas not impossible that the warlocks I sought had used an illusion or other magic to make her believe I had done the crime. “Because she is a magus!” she finally said. “And the crown despises us Apples for fighting with the rebels during the war! No doubt this was but a petty act of vengeance.”

Gale’s incredulity was plain ‘pon her frown. “That seems rather thin. If the crown wished vengeance against the Apples, it would not have pardoned them after the war or waited a decade to enact that vengeance in a small backwater.”

My irritation grew at each lame attempt to invent a motive for the crime. “And I have far better things to do with my time than murder some mare I will forget about when I leave this hamlet. Especially when I have far more important things to do with my time.”

“But Ah saw her commit the crime!” Desperation crept into Butter’s voice. “Red, do not tell me you would take this outsider's word over mine!”

Red frowned, mulling over the facts presented to her. I couldn’t help but suspect that part of her wished that the charges were true so she could arrest me. The mare had no love for me, after all—both due to our history and who my mother was. “They do raise good points. Did anypony else witness the attack?”

Butter ground her teeth before answering. “Neigh. She did the foul deed when everypony else was asleep.”

I had to wonder what she was doing up at an hour as late as she claimed. ‘Twas my understanding that farmers traditionally rose with the sun so that they could do their work while there was daylight to assist them. Being up in the middle of the night would have been counterproductive to such a schedule, something I knew well due to mine own nocturnal habits. ‘Twas possible that it had been mere fortune that she had awoken at that hour, but that struck me as unlikely.

If she had burned down her home in order to blame me for the misdeed, I had to wonder what would drive the mare to be so desperate. Likely she desired to protect her kin, but destroying her home seemed to be an extreme method of doing so. Surely there had to be other, lesser crimes she could lay against me. The problem was that I did not know Apple Butter; ‘twas possible she was merely a fool, but I was not in a habit of assuming that was the truth of the matter.

Red Steel rubbed her head and sighed. “Then we have naught but your word against that of hers and her companions. Though I do not care for the mare, I cannot try her on such thin evidence.”

“You will not even arrest her!?” Apple Butter’s face flushed with rage as she stomped a hoof. “Look at her! Surely you can tell she is not to be trusted?”

“Aye, I do not trust her.” Red Steel declared. “But I can hardly place a royal magus in custody simply because I do not trust her.”

I leaned towards Gale and murmured to her. “I do not have such an untrustworthy contenance, do I?” Surely I did not have the look of a rogue or ne’er-do-well about me?

“I do not think so.” Gale smirked at me with a mischievous glint in her eyes. “In truth, thou art quite comely.”

My cheeks flushed. “Ah, my thanks.” ‘Twas so rare for me to hear such compliments that Gale’s words could so easily fluster me. Though I wished she would save such things for when my life was not in danger, but Gale had a way of being somewhat flippant when danger approached.

Butter narrowed her eyes, and her voice carried a dangerous edge. “If you cannot take that mare, then maybe we should.” A disquiet murmur went through the mob, and I felt the air tense about them.

Stalwart place himself between me and the gathered ponies while Gale remained between Subtle Song and myself. Subtle had largely remained silent thus far, likely realizing that adding her voice to the chorus would not have helped her case with Gale. Silent Forest hadn’t moved from his spot and continued to watch with caution.

I looked about the mob, trying to gauge them. “I do not think they intend to leave.” I judged that we could likely fight off Apple Butter and her followers should things come down to it. Farmers rarely did well against trained soldiers backed up by a proper magus, but I did not wish to be responsible for a bloodbath. Especially when it involved the very ponies I was supposed to be protecting. Slaying a score of misguided farmers was not something I wished to explain to Mother, much less Princess Celestia. Despite the Apple Clan’s misgivings about me, ‘twas the warlocks who haunted the town’s numbers who were my true foes. The question was how we were to deal with the Apples bloodlessly.

Red Steel growled under her breath, then raised her voice to address the crowd. “Return to your homes. I will investigate the site of the fire and see if I can find any evidence of the crime and its culprit.”

Apple Butter shook her head. “And then what? Wait until she does manage to kill somepony?”

“That will not happen.” Red did not waver in her continence. “I will have her watched to ensure it, but I cannot arrest her until we have sufficient evidence for it. Equestria is a nation of laws.” I did have to give Red credit for her respect for the law, even if it meant protecting ponies she had no love for. It seemed that the fact that she had been a mare of Pegasopolis still won through, just as Gale had said.

It seemed wise, despite my own growing irritation at the situation to add another voice of sanity. "Aye, go home and be at peace. I am sure that—"

I was cut off when the world exploded into stars, and I was momentarily stunned by a searing pain that pierced my skull. My hooves nearly failed me before Gale caught me. Stalwart flared out his wings to protect me from the crowd.

"Ha! Nailed the nag!"

"Serves Celestia’s whorse right!"

"Throw another!"

I heard the words coming from the mob, but their significance escaped me. I also noted that Red Steel stood passively as the crowd threw their jeers.

I rubbed at the side of my head, trying to relieve the source of the intense pain. To my surprise, my hoof came back wet and sticky; blood now stained it and felt my blood trickle down the side of my face. Looking down, I saw the cause of my injury: a hoof-sized rock ‘pon the ground near my hooves. Realization flooded within me and my eyes widened. Somepony had struck me with a rock. A rock!

Apple Butter let out a harsh, barking laugh. “Look at the whorse! Better than she deserves!”

“'Tis alright, Midnight.” Gale gently shook my shoulder. “Only a scratch. Let us go and dress it.”

“Who threw that?” I snarled, ignoring Gale. “Who has the audacity to do such a thing?!” My head snapped around to look in the direction the rock must have soared from. There I saw the perpetrator: a young stallion barely more than a colt, his coat a dark orange and his figure still possessing the lankiness of youth despite a lifetime of hard farmwork. He wore a nasty sneer which I misliked. This must have been the pony that had struck me.

“Thou! Foul cretin!” Picking up the rock, I marched towards him. I was determined to teach the colt a lesson he would never forget. “Stand before me!”

A couple of ponies stood between me and my quarry. I created a pair of large disks of ice and used them to roughly shove the ponies aside, creating an opening in the mob that let me advance unimpeded. Gale and Stalwart stepped up with me to guard my flanks, with Red Steel only a short distance behind them.

My attacker looked about him, and he saw that I had casually brushed aside all those near him and continued to ward them away with the ice disks. Dread grew on his features as he realized he was about to face me alone. Good. Let fear grip his heart.

I narrowed my eyes and fixed him in place as our eyes met. “Didst thou find this amusing?!” I shook the rock menacingly at him.

He took a couple steps back and gulped. “Milady, I-I did not—”

I struck him with the stone. He yelped in pain and staggered as he was smitten ‘pon the head. “Art thou still amused? I do not hear thee laughing now! Is it no longer amusing now that thou art in pain?” Despite having smitten him, I only felt my choler rise. A couple of ponies moved to help their fellow, but I blocked them off by putting up a domed shield around us. “Didst thou think I would be intimidated by this?” I scooped up the rock again with my telekinesis. “What made thou thinkest this was acceptable!?”

The pony’s eyes were wide with fear and his lips trembled. Blood flowed from where the rock had opened his scalp. “I ... I was just...”

Memories long buried came to the surface. Those of a small filly at the center of a mob in Manehattan, with only her mother’s magical shield protecting them from a hail of missiles coming down upon them. Then there was the time that same filly's shields proved so inadequate against one after another being thrown at her, all while she begged for the torment to stop.

I struck him with the rock again, the blow to his jaw sending him tumbling to the ground. “I will not accept this being done to me!”

My attacker cradled his head in his hooves as I closed the distance 'tween us. A trio of his followers attempted to assist him, but I quickly moved my disks to roughtly push them back and sent them tumbling to the ground.

Gale placed a hoof to restrain me. "Midnight..."

"Release me!" I slapped away her hoof, for I held no interest in her words. Gale flinched at my reaction and took a step back. "I am not finished teaching my tormentor a lesson!"

My attempt to pick the rock up once again when Red Steel stomped a hoof down upon it. I turned a murderous glare at her but she met it with but a disapproving frown. "That is enough, Magus."

I tugged on the rock but her weight proved sufficient to holding it down. "He struck me with that—that rock!"

"And you have struck him twice in return," the militia captain said firmly. ‘Twas plain that she had no intention of relenting. "I think that adequate vengeance."

Gale waved at the earth pony. "Midnight, look at him. He has been more than cowed by thee. What more dost thou wish for? ‘Tis unlike thee to be so wroth."

“Neigh! I think—” My words trailed off when I saw the pitiful sight laying before my hooves. The earth pony was curled up on the ground, blood flowing from the wound on his scalp and his split lip. He quivered in terror in the face of a pony with greater power than himself and who he had no means to defend himself against.

“Please ... mercy,” he pleaded. For what else could he have done but beg for mercy against a magus out for blood?

I stumbled away from the young stallion. “I-I did not mean...” The rest of my words caught in my throat. What had I meant to do? Only scare him? For what purpose? To make myself feel righteous? Smite him with that stone over and over again ‘till his body was nothing more than a ruin? To kill him for striking me with a rock?

Nausea built up within my belly as I took in the sight of my work. I no longer wished to do that pony harm, whatever his crimes may have been. There were wiser ways I could have acted.

A flash of pain fell upon me, and I pressed a hoof against my skull in reaction. ‘Twas as though somepony were taking a hammer to the inside of my cranium. I felt the choler within me start to rise again, but ‘twas not my own. ‘Twas not what I wished for, I had seen enough vengeance for one day. That rejection only seemed to make the pain increase twofold, and the world swam within my vision.

Something was wrong. Some force that was not my own will pressed me to continue harming a pony who—either because of his injuries or fear—had not even stood. Then a realization came crashing down 'pon me: one of the warlocks was even now attempting to influence my mind.

Drawing on my training, I immediately gathered my mental defenses against the psychic assault. I felt the warlock’s presence jerk when I detected it, but rather than engage in battle with me like I had expected, the warlock instead withdrew from my mind. Was my opponent a coward who did not wish to risk battle, or was my opponent more experienced than I originally thought? ‘Tis extremely difficult to control the mind of a pony who is both aware of foreign influence and trained to resist it such as myself. Worse still, entering the mind of another opened the doorway to your own mind—leaving one’s mind vulnerable to any number of unpleasant things. More than one warlock had attempted to bind the will of a magus only to have that magus pull the warlock’s plan from their mind or leave them a drooling fool for their efforts.

The release in mental pressure felt as though I had suddenly emerged from the darkest depths of the ocean and into the sunlight. The experience caused me to stumble and Gale quickly stepped to my side and held me up.

“I think 'twould be best if we were elsewhere. Quickly," Gale said. Stalwart Kicker nodded and took his place on the other side of me while Silent Forest took up the rear. With the two of them holding me up from either side, we slowly made our escape as I fought against the growing pain to stumble my way forward.

“You all beheld that?” Apple Butter called out to the stunned crowd. “Poor Apple Crisp was nearly slain by that beast. She's a madmare! ‘Tis only a matter of time ‘till she strikes again. Only next time she may actually kill somepony.” She turned from her mob to look to Red Steel. “Arrest her before she hurts somepony else, Red. ‘Tis your duty to do so. Otherwise the blood that one spills will be on your hooves.”

Red stood her ground against the mob—standing between us and the mob that was recovering from its shock. “Be silent, Butter. And the rest of thee, disperse and return to thy homes.”

“Or what?” Butter said, menace dripping from her tone. A couple of her fellows stepped forward to accentuate her words.

Meeting Butter’s gaze levelly, Red Steel drew herself up to her full height. “Or I will have you dispersed. I hate her as much as any of you, but I will have law and order in my town. Is that clear?”

Butter glared hatefully but did not advance on Red. ‘Twould seem that for all her bluster, at heart she was too much the coward to press the matter despite the mob behind her. “This is not over, Red. Not by a long shot. We will have justice.” She waved for a couple of ponies to pick up their fallen comrade. “Ah suggest you go home yourself. Way I hear it, 'tis going to be a dangerous night.”

Needless to say, that made it sound like Apple Butter had her own foul plan. Yet another thing that would press me to act, and soon.

“Mind your tone, Butter.” Red ground one of her hammer hooves into the dirt. “You will have justice, but 'twill be the rule of law, not a mob’s chaos. You speak of the Crown sending agents to attack you? I assure you, attacking a magus without cause is a certain way to invite reprisals.”

Butter’s eyes narrowed but still she broke with Red’s gaze. “Come on, everypony. We have plannin' to do.”

At Butter’s prompting, the mob departed the opposite direction of me and my companions.

Confirming that the mob was on its way, Red trotted to quickly catch up with us. Not a hard feat with the poor pace I was making. "A fine mess you have made this time, Magus."

"'Twas not my intent—"

"I do not care what your intent was," Red snapped. "You have made my town all the more perilous with your actions, and now I am going to have to do what I can to fix it before somepony acts more foolish than yourself." She rubbed at her face. “Now I am going to have to form my own posse to counter Butter and hope that I can restrain her from more foolishness.”

“My actions were not my fault.” A cough overtook me before I could continue. Curse the poor climate of this town.

“Not your fault?” Red said incredulously. “Pray tell, who struck Crisp with that rock then? For I could have sworn that I saw you commit the deed with my own eyes.”

“One of the warlocks was controlling my mind!” I blurted, only realizing how poor a defense that sounded after it had left my lips.

Gale blinked. “Mind magic?”

I nodded, Gale at least would believe what I had to say, even if Red Steel did not. “Aye, I am all but sure there was a warlock amongst the mob’s numbers, though I could not identify who. Whomever had assaulted my mind withdrew before I could track down the source of the spell. The warlock made me wroth after I was hit with that rock.” I took a moment to think the matter over, making sure all the pieces of the puzzle aligned. “Aye, that would have been the best moment to do so. When I was both distracted with pain and inclined to strike out at whoever had hurt me.”

That was another disturbing bit of information. Not only had the warlock known when best to retreat, but also when best to strike against me. That showed both intelligence and experience.

“Troubling,” Gale growled, narrowing her eyes at Subtle. “A dangerous warlock, then. Only two types of warlocks use mind magic. Those so foolish they do not realize how easily it can turn against them, and those with the power and experience to use it with confidence.”

I scowled as a disturbing portrait formed before me. “Those are my own thoughts. Just earlier I faced at least one of the warlocks in the Dreamscape. I was nearly ensnared by a trap placed by them and was prevented in completing my task. Likely we are dealing multiple warlocks with at least one experienced and capable member.”

Red gave me an unamused frown. “And your proof of this, beyond your own word?”

“I would need another magus to confirm it—for the mind magic at least,” I admitted lamely. Another magus with the right training could discover the work of a warlock on the mind of a pony. Shame there were no other magi in Appleton to confirm my tale. “But I have nought but supposition and my word for what I have experienced myself for the rest.”

Red grunted, sounding unconvinced. “How about you return to Carrot Casserole’s home before you find yourself under the control of that warlock again? I think I can do more good work without you now.” While the suggestion did have some sense to it, Red’s tone made it sound like a stinging condemnation. It reminded me of how I had been twice fell under the enchantments of warlocks in but one day, something which sorely wounded my pride. I was certain that I was no longer dealing with some amateur warlock just coming into their power, but an experienced and wily warlock who knew what they were doing. Worse still, I had likely lost an important ally due to what the warlock had tricked me into doing. Red was unlikely to trust me quite so much in the future—assuming she had trusted me much at all to start with. Whatever game the warlocks were playing, I had the feeling that I was losing at every turn.

While I could probably have fought Red Steel on the matter or defied her outright, I saw little to gain from it. What I needed to do was plan and think about what my next move would be. Mayhaps Gale and I could come up with a viable plan, one we could put into action immediately. Events were quickly coming to a head in Appleton, and I feared time was precious.

I nodded to Gale and Stalwart. “Come, let us go then. We need to plan what to do next.”

“Sensible,” Stalwart said while assisting me back to Mayor Casserole’s home.

“Then I will find you after I am done with my own work here in town.” After giving us a brisk nod, Red left our company to do her work.

Subtle moved to follow us, but Gale stopped to shoot her a glare. “Not thee, bard.”

“I am trying to help,” Subtle hissed.

“Help?” One of Gale’s wingblades twitched. “Thou art consorting with the mob!”

“I was attempting to discover their intentions!” Subtle let out a frustrated groan. “I needed to infiltrate their numbers to see what really lay within their hearts. Trust me, those ponies over there have foul intentions. They see the Magus as a threat and would be done with her. Applesauce is amongst their numbers, though Apple Butter seems to be their leader. They stole the weapons from the armory and now intend on lynching the Magus. Butter planned to have Midnight arrested and would thus leave her vulnerable to be hanged this night. 'Tis ... they are being riled up to a frenzy I do not understand.”

“The violent armed mob was angry and hungry for blood.” Gale gasped sarcastically. “Truly, shocking. Wilt thou next tell us that the sky is blue, and bears leave their offal in the woods? I think the more valuable bit of information is that thou wert riling the mob.”

Subtle waved in the direction of the departing mob. “Then why was I running out ahead of them? Or would you suggest that I was leading them while half out of breath?”

Gale’s stance remained tense, and I could feel that she was ready to dive forward at Subtle at a moment’s notice if she felt it warranted. “I do not know what to believe, but I trust thee no further than I can throw thee. Likely ‘twas thou who cast that spell ‘pon Midnight. We have only one other spellcaster in the village...” She gave Subtle a pointed look. “A bard would have many uses for such magic.”

That caused Subtle to widen her eyes. “I am no warlock! I did not even cast a spell over there.” She jabbed a hoof in Gale’s direction. “You were watching me the entire time. Did you see my horn glow with magic? Even once?”

“There are ways to conceal that,” Gale countered.

Subtle shrugged. "Ways I am sure you know of and would watch for, given you were already suspicious of me."

Gale was silent for a long moment. She was probably reviewing her memories for any acts of deception on Subtle's part. "Aye, I will grant thee that much. Though I see no reason to trust thee."

“Gale, peace for a moment.” I took a moment to massaged the side of my head. The mental attack I had suffered had done no favors for the headache caused by my sickness. "There are other possibilities to explain what happened other than a unicorn casting a spell."

Stalwart wrapped a wing around me to keep me from falling into the dirt. "Aye, an earth pony who somehow gained access to dark magic, or a shapeshifter of some sort could be capable of such a feat."

I leaned against Stalwart considering I wished to focus my attentions on the puzzle before me rather than standing. "'Tis rare, but it can be done. And there are any number of shapeshifters who could do what I have seen." Once again I lamented not being able to bring any of my books to Appleton.

"But first, can we rule out the obvious suspect?" Gale gave Subtle a sour look.

"Hm." Considering the options I had available, I decided on the one I thought would be most useful for this situation. "I do have a means by which to ferret out the truth. If Subtle is willing, I could read her mind and look 'pon her memories of this day." (1)

1. While it is illegal to invade the mind of another, using mind magic is allowed under the Laws of Magic when authorized by the recipient. An individual is far less likely to be harmed under such circumstances as long as the caster in question is trained in how to use mind magic.

Subtle rolled her eyes. "If it will keep Gale from sticking something sharp and pointy into my back, I consent."

Not an unjustified fear in my opinion. Gale could be ruthlessly pragmatic when she felt there was a need. That would be another reason for me to rule out Subtle as a suspect, as I would not be pleased to find out later that Subtle had been buried in a shallow grave in the woods if she were innocent. Though ‘twould disturb me far less so if she were guilty. Either way, ‘twould be good to verify the truth of the matter.

“If she is cleared, I will consider a reprieve,” Gale said grudgingly. “Temporarily.”

“Then let us go to the mayor’s home to do that,” I said. “I would prefer to do this in a comfortable setting.”

Everypony consented to the idea and we departed for Carrot Casserole’s farm.


Thankfully, the pain of mine headache slowly abated during the trip to the mayor's home, allowing me to at least walk with the support of another. Though the various aches and pains from the cold were not so kind. I could only hope that my condition would not worsen for the stress I was putting on it.

Gale had Subtle walk before us and ever kept herself between the bard and me. Stalwart remained by my side while Silent Forest seemed content to walk behind us.

When we reached the farmhouse, we found the curious sight of the mayor's home being besieged by a vast unkindness of ravens. The birds had taken to covering every surface of the home and the nearby trees, making it appear as though a black quilt had been laid upon building.

Stalwart stopped well short and looked to me. "Is this your work or that of the warlocks?"

"'Tis not intentionally my doing," I told him. "The ravens tend to gather wherever I go, though I do not know why." At least it had been a more aggressive pattern since I had become ten winters old. Mother complained that unkindnesses of ravens always had a way of coming to me even as a little filly, despite all her efforts to ward them away. There were any number of theories for why ‘twas so. Either because I was a cursed mare for one reason or another, that the ravens saw me as one of their own, that ‘twas merely some unexplained side effect of my magic, or—like the ravens that followed an army—they knew that carrion would be available where I went. I was not quite sure what to believe myself, even after all these years. (2)

2. For whatever reasons ravens seem attracted to Midnight, it carried with her even after death. Even today her tomb is plagued by a continued raven infestation. From personal experience, it is every bit as creepy as one can imagine.

Gale grinned and nudged my shoulder. “That is my Midnight. Always morbid even when she is not trying.”

Subtle gave me a mischievous grin. “Now I bet you have more than a few interesting stories to tell once things settle down in Appleton.”

“I am not being morbid,” I objected. “I do not control this.” Well, I could control the ravens to a degree, but their gathering was beyond my immediate power.

“‘Tis unsettling,” Stalwart said flatly. He waved at the gathered unkindness of ravens. “They are all watching us.” The ravens were indeed staring in our direction, but I saw nothing odd about that, they always did that.

I shrugged. “‘Tis nothing to worry about. The ravens have never plagued me in the past, and I doubt they will do so now.”

I was about to suggest we proceed into the farmhouse when I noticed little Carrot Root coming around the side of the house. He looked about the ground before his eyes settled on something. Reaching down, he picked up a rock and then looked up to the roof. “Go away, birds!” He tossed the rock at the roof and caused several of the ravens to caw and take flight. Though it seemed to do little against the mass of black birds gathered, I flinched at the rock throwing. It did nothing but recall foul memories.

Carrot Root growled and waved his forelegs frantically to try and scare the birds off. “Go! We do not want you eatin’ our crops!”

He reached down and picked up another rock and was about to throw it when I jerked up a hoof. “No!”

My objection had been louder and harsher than I intended, and the colt jerked and dropped the rock. He looked to me with a hint of fear and surprise in his features. “Magus? I was only trying to scare away the crows like my mothers asked me to.”

I took a long breath to regain my continence. “I know, child. But I would prefer if thou didst not throw any more rocks.” I had enough of that for one day.

Carrot Root puckered his lips out in a pout. “But how else am I to get rid of them? Our scarecrows do nothing!” He waved in the direction of a particularly sad looking scarecrow in a nearby field. If ‘twas the intended to drive away undesirable avians, then I judged ‘twould only do so by creating such a melancholic atmosphere as to encourage them to leave for more lively destinations. “And my mothers say they will eat everything if they stay!”

I rubbed at the bridged of my brow, thinking for a solution to the problem. “Bring out a couple bags of corn for the ravens. I will pay for the birds’ feed while I am on your farm. The ravens will depart when I do. I promise. ‘Tis always their way. Sergeant Stalwart, please see to the payment for the seed.”

In truth, I wished to keep the birds close on hoof and without offending my host. There were things I could do with those ravens, but I did not wish to say so out-loud where one of the warlocks or their proxies might hear. I was beginning to suspect that I had been too liberal with my tongue when I had first come to Appleton and had paid for it. Now I intended to be careful indeed about what I said and where I said it.

Stalwart glanced briefly Subtle’s way. “Magus, I think my place is by your side.”

“I will still have Gale by my side,” I said firmly. I would also have Silent Forest nearby, though considering I did not know him well I might have need to look through his memories too. He had been the first in Appleton and thus vulnerable to a group of warlocks who knew how to wield mind magic. One thing at a time, though. “Time is precious right now. Pay a high price for the corn if thou must to settle the deal and return to my side, if thou dost feel that is thy duty. But settle the matter so as to not insult our host or allow undue suffering to come down on her house because of me.”

I could see Stalwart considering defying me, but in the end he nodded. “Aye Magus, by thy word.” Stalwart walked towards the barn where Carrot Casserole was supervising some of her laborers. He waved for Root to follow. “Come child, we will discuss prices with thy mother.” Root followed dutifully to leave the rest of us in front of the home.

“Silent Forest, stay outside and stand watch," I ordered. It still felt queer for me to order ponies about in such a manner, but I was pleased that my voice sounded clear and confident all the same.

Silent saluted and took station on the magistrate’s porch without preamble.

In honesty, if the Long Patrolpony had been enthralled by the warlocks, then I at least wanted a door between me and him while I worked my magics. That would at least buy me a precious moment I would otherwise not have. Such moments could mean the difference between life and death in circumstances such as these.

I met Gale’s eyes and then briefly had my eyes glance at Silent. The corner of Gale’s lips frowned and she gave me the briefest of nods, understanding my intentions. She had always a talent in the subtle arts.

I did not like spreading everything so thin like this, but taking calculated risks was part of being a royal magus. Once I knew who I could trust I would be in a far better position to act. I possessed many enemies and few friends at the moment, so I had to make what I had count.

"Let us go inside to do this business," I said, and the three of us entered in the parlor.

Gale positioned herself so that she could watch both Subtle and the doorway. Given she held her wings at the ready she no doubt planned to either hit Subtle with a throwing dart at the first hint of deception or whoever might force their way through the front door.

Subtle frowned as she looked back and forth between Gale and I. "I ask but one condition before we proceed: that when you discover the truth that I am not a warlock, you will tell nopony what you saw, Magus."

A somewhat suspicious request but not an unreasonable one should she be innocent of wrongdoing. "That seems fair enough to me. Gale?"

Gale took a moment before answering. Probably to consider what trouble this might cause. "So long as you confirm that she is not a warlock or otherwise a threat."

That decided, I moved towards Subtle with my horn glowing. "Subtle Song, do I have thy permission to enter thy mind and examine thy memories?" A bit formal, but the formality was best observed. Mind magic carried risks even under the best circumstances, and so one did not casually use it. Of course, all I might be doing is falling into the clutches of a very dangerous warlock.

Subtle waved her hoof flippantly. "Yes, yes, get on with it. I unequivocally give permission—et cetera, et cetera."

Not letting her seeming lack of caring disrupt my concentration, I cast the mind reading spell upon Subtle. I gently entered into her mind, and she felt me back. The touching of two minds was ever an intimate thing in nature. I quickly scanned her mind and determined that she was at least not being dominated by another. That taken care of, I probed into Subtle’s memories. The bard readily allowed me to find the memory I sought.

With eyes that were not my own, I watched as Subtle went from one pony to another in Appleton. The memory flowed past. Memory is always a somewhat unreliable thing, with some things only half remembered while others were as clear as day. In time she found some young stallion, naive to the ways of the world as Subtle seduced him. She whispered her inquiries and with but a few honeyed words and a soft kiss on the cheek the two of them proceeded into the forested hills surrounding Appleton.

Subtle was lead to a clearing in the forest. There were gathered a score of grim-faced ponies, mostly from the Apple Clan if I had to guess. Front and center was Applesauce. While met with suspicion, Subtle offered them a drink from a barrel of spirits she had brought with her and more honeyed words—assuring them that she was nothing more than a harmless traveling bard with no stake in anything. With her silver tongue and a few songs, she slowly won their trust.

Sometime later, for it was often difficult to judge time exactly when looking through a pony's memories, Apple Butter returned with yet more ponies. They carried a variety of weapons on their persons. No doubt the arms and armor pilfered from the militia armory.

Subtle fell to the back of the mob as the newcomers came, and I felt her cast a spell. One that caused the ponies about her to lose interest in her—the Background Pony spell, most likely.

Butter and Applesauce argued for a time. Applesauce in favor of waiting to see if I would leave without further issue, and Butter saying that they should go ahead with the plan to seize and hang me that day. In the end, the crowd came to agree with Butter and so she and a hooffull of other ponies left with her. With Butter and her mob gone, Subtle quickly departed also, likely leading to the events which just transpired in Appleton.

At least based on her memories, it did seem that Subtle had been telling the truth. If she was working with the Apple Clan mob, then she could have stayed with the rest of the mob in the clearing. She also did the Apples no favors by revealing their location to me. Neigh, she was being honest enough with us, I thought.

I started the process of withdrawing from Subtle’s mind when I began to hear her inner thoughts. “—a bit on the small side, even for a mare. Though it does not detract from her frame. She holds herself with the distinction typical of nobles, but it has been mussed up due to her recent troubles. ‘Tis most appealing; too many of the nobles wear their status so haughtily that it removes any charm. And then there is that fetching horn of hers. Though the mare is likely a virgin, so I shall have to spend half my time in bed instructing her. Still, such efforts can bear rewards.” I felt a shift in her thoughts. “Oh, and now that naughty mare is reading my mind.”

“I-I did not mean—” Profound embarrassment befell me over Subtle’s amorous appraisals of me and over the fact I had been caught reading her thoughts—even if it was unintentional.

Now now, do not be so modest.” I could almost hear her cheshire smile. “This mind reading does suggest certain possibilities. Oh, if you could find a way to link our pleasures in the bedchamber when we lay together.” The bard showed me an extremely ... illicit scenario of the two of us sharing a bed. Needless to say, I could hardly write the details of it in this account unless I wanted my biography to be branded as a pornographic work. (3)

3. Of course, not including these details has been bemoaned by many a reader, historical writer, and sex historian. My editor has often complained about Midnight “not including the good stuff.”

Not wanting to be subject to any more of those images, I broke off the mind reading spell as quickly as I could. “She is fine,” I blurted out, voice cracking. Confound this mare. Did she have to subject me to such things?

Gale narrowed her eyes at Subtle. She was probably disappointed that we would not indeed be burying Subtle in the woods that day. “Very well then.”

Subtle tapped her hoof. “So can we decide on our next course now?”

“We need to identify the warlocks,” Gale said grudgingly. “Once we have done so, our course will be much clearer.”

I sat down on one of the living room cushions. My exhaustion seemed to crash over me like a wave the moment I was off my hooves. “A task easier said than done. The warlocks have thus far completely subverted our efforts to discover them. It appears we are dealing with wily foes indeed.”

“Aye, 'tis so.” Gale rubbed at her chin. “I see two possibilities for finding them. Further investigation, or attempting to draw the culprit out.”

“I would prefer the quicker.” I took my handkerchief to blow out my nose again. “I fear these warlocks will complete their vile plans soon.”

“Aye, and our investigation is fruitless thus far.” Gale rolled her head, stretching it out. “'Tis plain enough they fear thee and will strike if they see a chance.”

I nodded. “Considering they have struck at me twice already, it seems they think I am the greatest threat to them.”

“That being so, 'tis only a question of how best to draw them into our ambush,” Gale said.

Subtle crossed her legs over her breast. “Especially when they have been so cautious thus far. None of our investigations have turned up anything useful. I would not think it unlikely they have remained hidden for decades considering the evidence we have. I doubt some two-bit warlock just coming into their power could have done all of this. Neigh, such a warlock would have left more clues and made more mistakes.”

“Then we need a bait too tempting to ignore,” Gale offered.

“There is only one bait I know of that we possess that is of interest to our quarry.” Subtle gave me a serious look.

Gale’s wings twitched. “I do not care for the idea of risking her. Midnight is not some worm to put onto the hook of a fishing pole.”

Subtle shrugged. “Either we risk Midnight, or we wile away our time investigating.”

“There must be another way.” Gale looked Subtle up and down. “Mayhaps we could disguise Subtle as Midnight and use her instead?”

Subtle scoffed. “Why Gale, how kind of you to offer such a suggestion. Your motives are not transparent at all.”

Seeing another budding argument coming, I quickly stomped my hoof down on it. “Could you two please not snipe at one another? That is a stress I do not need right now. Remember who our enemy is.”

“Yes, of course Midnight.” Gale wrapped a wing about me in a hug. “My apologies.”

Subtle looked away from the two of us, her mouth creased with a frown of disapproval. “I did not provoke this feud.”

“Put it in the past,” I said firmly. “We need to think of a way to—

The door burst open, and Gale’s wing moved to throw a dart; she froze when she saw little Carrot Root running through the doorway.

“What art thou doing, child?” I asked as he stopped before me. He quickly answered me by rearing up on his forelegs and then bucked me in the knee. I screamed in pain as I felt something in my knee pop, and I fell face first onto the floor. Even an earth pony colt’s kick was nothing to make light of.

Root moved to buck me in the face but Gale dived in to tackle him. The child flailed about with a feral fury, lashing out at Gale’s face with his hooves. Silent Forest came running in next and, likely surmising what was going on, joined Gale in trying hold the colt down. Root tried to bite down on Gale’s leg, but she shifted to take the bite on her armor.

Gale pressed the child down to the floor, holding her leg against the child’s neck to keep him from biting anypony else, though not so roughly as to harm Carrot Root. “The child fights like one possessed!”

“Hold him!” Subtle levitated out some rope out of her saddlebags and deftly began tying the colt’s legs up. Gale and Silent held him still as he continued to thrash around to no avail.

I hissed in pain as I gingerly stood up, not daring to put weight down on the leg that had been struck. It throbbed with pain, and I feared further injuring it. “What is wrong with him? He bucked me for no reason.”

Stalwart came limping through the doorway. His eyes fell upon Carrot Root, and a fierce scowl creased his face. “There the little beast is! I was speaking with the mayor when he suddenly bucked me in the leg and ran off.” He moved to my side, placing himself between the feral child and myself.

Carrot Casserole was not long after Stalwart and stopped at the door when she saw the scene before her. “Root, what art thou doing!? And what are all of you doing to my son!?”

“He attacked us, Mayor.” Subtle finished tying the colt up, being quite liberal in the usage of her rope. Root was frothing at the mouth as he struggled viciously against his bonds. “He came barreling into here and bucked the magus in the knee without provocation. We were forced to tie him up for our safety and his.”

Casserole took a moment to consider that before nodding. “Root, why art thou acting like this? Stop behaving like this right now. This is not how civilized ponies behave.” She leaned down to try and comfort or soothe him, but had to jerk back a hoof when he attempted to bite her. “Son, speak to me.” When he failed to give her anymore response than to continue struggling, the mayor looked to us, begging for answers in her gaze. “What is wrong with him? He has always had a gentle soul. This is unlike him. Is he sick? Or cursed?”

Gale shot me a curious glance. “Mind magic?”

That would fit with what we had seen thus far from the warlocks of the town. Were they so depraved that they would use a child as a weapon against me? They had murdered multiple ponies by now, so it was not a leap of logic to say ‘twas within their foul ability.

I stumbled over to the colt, holding my injured leg to my chest. “I will need to examine him.”

Casserole wrung her forehooves as I began my work. “Of all the times for Grandmother to be away. She would know what to do.” Given her grandmother seemed to be an herbalist, likely the elderly mare was sought to deal with any number of problems came up.

Stopping short of Root, I looked to Casserole. “She has not returned from the town yet?” I remembered Carrot Juice mentioning that Grandmother Carrot had gone into town on some business. “And her apprentice, Carrot Juice?”

“I ... have not seen them for some time,” Casserole admitted. “Not since the morning.”

I hummed neutrally to myself as I digested that bit of information. My horn glowed as I drew upon my magic and began examining him. Immediately, a vile aura struck my senses when I brought them to bear on Carrot Root. It did not take me long to feel a second presence within the child, one filled with malice, and I could feel it grinning at me as I noticed it.

“This child is possessed,” I said calmly, withdrawing my magical senses. I did not as of yet know the exact nature of the spirit possessing the child, but I would discover that soon enough.

Root ceased his struggle and gave me a nasty grin. When he spoke, it came out as a gravely, wizened old tone that was not the child’s own. “Took you long enough to figure that much out. For a time I worried you were too daft to see what laid right before your eyes.”

“L-leave my child alone, whoever you are!” Casserole cried. “He is not yours to torment!”

“Oh, but he's such a good fit.” Root shifted around in place, as though seeing how comfortable an outfit was. “A little small, but he has a good buck to him.” The possessed colt grinned at me again. “Would you not agree, Magus?”

“Midnight, canst thou free the child?” Gale asked, overriding the fiend’s attempts to provoke us.

I thought over the question very carefully. Exorcisms were no minor matter. They could be long, difficult, and taxing, but I could hardly leave an innocent to the mercy of such a creature. Root was but a child and was most likely very aware of what was happening to him but having no control over what his body was doing. No doubt he was terrified and feeling very alone.

And there was but one pony in this town who could help him.

“Aye, I can do so.” Closing my eyes, I recalled what was needed for a proper exorcism. “But I will require a few things first to help the child, as well as make some preparations.”

“Anything!” Casserole said with all the desperation of a mother who wanted to save her child. “Just help my son!”

“I require salt, a water basin, some candles, chalk, and at least one of the child’s valued possessions,” I told Casserole.

“Right away!” The mayor ran out of her home and towards the barn.

“Silent, stand guard at the door while we work.” The patrolpony saluted me and took up his station back at the door. “Let us tie the colt to a bed, I will need him to be still while I work.”

Stalwart picked up the colt effortlessly and carried him to a nearby bedroom.

Gale stopped me as I started hobbling towards the bedroom. “How is thy knee, before we proceed?”

I winced as I tried to move it. “I think he may have injured it.”

“Sit before thou dost it further harm,” Gale instructed. I did so and she began examining it. ‘Twas standard for the clans to teach everypony at least the basics of battlefield medicine. “‘Tis dislocated,” Gale confirmed. “Shall I fix it?”

“It must be set.” My knee had already swollen from the injury and continued to throb with pain. “This pain will only distract me when I do the exorcism, which I cannot afford.”

“I will do it then.” Gale moved into position to do the deed. “I will set it on three. Art thou ready, dear Midnight?”

I took a long breath to steady myself for what was to come. “Aye, I am.”

With a quick jerk, she set my knee back into the socket. A flash of pain spasmed through my body. “That was not three! That was not even one, you fiend!”

“Had I waited until then, thou wouldst have tensed and made it far worse.” Gale grinned, no doubt finding amusement in her wit. “Now thy knee will be fine with some rest.”

I muttered something not appropriate for a lady under my breath and pulled out a spare handkerchief I had. Filling it with ice, I then applied it to my knee to help deal with the swelling and pain.

“There there.” Gale gave me a motherly peck on the forehead. “The worst of the pain is already past, and thou dost know it needed to be done.”

“‘Tis so,” I grumbled. I carefully moved my leg. It stung when I did, but not unbearably so. “At least I can move it now.”

“Rest until the mayor has returned.” Gale wrapped a wing around me to give me a hug. “Thou wilt need it before aiding Root.”

I nodded. “Aye, a spell of rest does sound—”

I was cut off when Silent returned. His face was grim as he spoke. “Problem. Mob is back.” He nodded at the door. “Have Red and Mayor.”

Wearily, I stepped to a window to look outside. Out by the barn were two score of ponies. Out in front were indeed Red Steel and Mayor Casserole. They each had a noose around their necks, and ponies were ready to pull on the ropes to choke the life out of them.

Apple Butter stepped out towards the mayor’s house and called out in a booming voice. “Magus! Come to us and surrender or we will hang these two! Now!”

As if my day could not become any worse.

Author's Note:

I would like to thank Chengar Qordath, Comma-Kazie, and JakeTheGinger for all their help in editing Midnight's Shadow.
Then I would also like to thank all my great prereaders Web of Hope, Swiftest Shadow, Infinion, Rodinga, and Incidental Pegasus No. 5.