• Published 5th Jun 2013
  • 14,888 Views, 379 Comments

Midnight's Shadow - Ponibius



In the aftermath of the devastating Lunar Rebellion, the newly minted Magus of Equestria, Midnight Sparkle, finds herself embroiled in the chaos in her homeland. Beset on all sides of nefarious foes, Midnight must fight to save Equestria or perish.

  • ...
11
 379
 14,888

Midnight Begins: Chapter 14

Midnight’s Shadow

Midnight Begins: Chapter 14

Princess Celestia returned to Canterlot after giving me another healing session and making sure that my body was indeed on the mend. At her bidding, I remained at the Sol Invictus sanctuary for a full week to make sure that I was healed by its acolytes. It was a rare and welcome period of rest, and it gave me time to think about a great many things. Appleton had been a rude awakening to me for a number of reasons. I now saw that I had let myself float adrift in my life for too long, and that corrections needed to be made.

Once I was done resting, it was time for me to return to Canterlot and resume my duties there. Ever faithful, Stalwart flew me to my home city in our cart. Once there, the two of us wished each other well and parted ways. Sergeant Stalwart had his own duties to attend to, and 'twas time for me to find my mother and speak with her on a number of matters.

It could be tricky to gain an audience with my mother due to how busy she could be, so I decided to go to her tower to try and find her. If she was not there, I would simply have to search several other locations she often frequented.

Upon reaching home, I disabled the tower's wards to cross the threshold. I closed the door behind me and carefully brought the wards back before returning my attention to the interior of my home. My mother had a redundant series of defenses for her home, so it was best to be sure I did not accidentally trigger one of them. Most of them were nonlethal—it would not do to vaporize some poor pony just trying to deliver a message to our door, but they were still designed to be extremely unpleasant. I thus made sure to take suitable precautions when dealing with them.

"Mother? I am home!" I called out, listening for any sounds that might indicate where she might be.

Mother came up from the stairs leading to her laboratory. "Ah. Welcome home, Midnight," she said pleasantly.

A sudden sense of nervousness wracked me now that I was before my mother. This had not been a conversation I had been looking forward to, though ‘twas a necessary one. "I am back from my mission to Appleton. As you have probably noticed, with me being here."

Mother raised an eyebrow at my behavior. "Yes, I rather noticed." She closed the distance between us for a closer look. She gave a faint frown as she noticed my mostly healed injuries. Princess Celestia and the healers at the sanctuary were skilled at the healing arts, but there was only so much that could be done with spells and medicine. "And worse for wear, 'twould seem."

My ears wilted under my mother's scrutiny, and I could not bring up my gaze to meet that of hers. Guilt had seized me. Both for how things had gone in Appleton, and for the state I had allowed myself to be reduced to. "Aye, my mission to Appleton was ... trying."

"So I heard." She circled around, studying me with an analytical eye. "It was too dangerous a mission for a magus of your skills. It might have been more prudent to fall back and request additional aid. I would never have sent thee had I any idea what dangers thou wouldst face there."

"Aye, I suppose." I rubbed my leg, summoning the reasoning for my behavior I had prepared before this meeting. "But I could not just allow so many to die. Not when ‘twas my responsibility to protect them.”

Mother made a discontented hum and then shrugged. “And even though the threat was something greater than you should have faced, you succeeded. I would not punish any of the magi under my command for saving a town, much less my own daughter. I expect it was one of those situations that developed too quickly to fall back and ask for aid, regardless. All is forgiven in victory.” She cupped my cheek with her hoof. “Though do be more careful in the future. I have far too much planned for thee to die in some heroic last stand.”

“I assure you, I have little intention of dying anytime soon.” I cleared my throat as I summoned up the courage for the next subject I wished to discuss. “And speaking of having no wish of dying, um, there were some things I wished to speak with you about.”

“Oh?” Mother rolled her hoof to bid me to continue.

“Appleton proved to be an unpleasant experience,” I said with slow deliberation. “I wish ... to have more power. To be stronger.” I took a calming breath before continuing. “I feel the time has come for me to ask you to teach me more of evocation.”

Mother was widely considered to be one of the most formidable spellcasters in Equestria. Learning from her would be a unique opportunity that few would ever have. She had given me a few lessons over the years in magic, but we both knew that they were not as intense as they could have been. Not after the incident while learning how to cast shield spells. Instead she had left much of my magical education to tutors, such as my master, Morning Star. Now I felt I needed such intense lessons to improve my spellcasting; I could no longer afford a situation where I may be overmatched. The knowledge didst not make this decision any more welcome.

“Ah, I would be glad to teach thee,” Mother said casually.

“You will have time for such exercises?” I asked. Part of me wished she would say no, but I steeled my resolve to continue on my course. This was something I needed. “I will do what is necessary to be a good student and make your time worthwhile.”

Mother rubbed at her chin before nodding. “Yes. If you will be going on such missions in the future, it would be prudent to ensure that you return home without need of a healer’s touch. I would not have thee be so badly injured again.”

“I would prefer not to be injured again too. That was most painful and unpleasant.” I sighed as I remembered everything that happened in Appleton. “Loath as I am to say it, I did not feel adequately prepared for my trials.”

Mother fell into a long silence, a deep frown on her features. “Indeed. 'Twould seem that after certain ... misjudgements on my part regarding your earlier training, I have been lax in preparing thee for a magus's duties. As Shadow recently informed me, I had already faced several dangerous missions when I was thine age. 'Tis past time that I corrected that mistake. I should have personally selected thy first mission long ago.” She waved a hoof to dismiss the matter. “But there is nothing to do about it now but plan how we will move forward.”

I knew of the mistake she was referring to, from all those years ago, but I did not comment on it. There were too many painful memories there.

I could also well imagine the discussion Mother and Shadow had about me. It was probably true that I should have been sent on missions sooner than I had, especially considering my ambitions. But as Mother had said, there was little to be done but to plan towards the future now.

“I have to agree with you, Mother.” I hung my cloak, or what was left of it by this point, on the rack. “I admit, I would like to learn how you can use both ice and fire at the same time, among other things.” I had seen my mother interweave both of those elements together seamlessly. ‘Twas a thing of beauty to see, from the perspective of spellcraft. I knew that was a skill that would serve me quite well in the future if I could master it.

A wide grin crept onto Mother’s mouth when I mentioned her particular skill. “Yes, it is past time I showed thee that secret. In truth, it is something I have wanted to teach thee for some time.”

“Then we will make plans to do just that.” I paused in my speech, suddenly feeling the need to say something else that had been on my mind. “I would like to be an archmagus someday, after all. I wish to follow in your hoofsteps if possible.”

“Indeed.” Mother placed a hoof on my shoulder and squeezed it. “And I have every intention of helping thee in that goal. After all, somepony must carry on my legacy.”

“There is nopony better than your daughter.” My heart warmed to hear that my mother wished for me carry on her legacy. There were times when I worried that I would never be able to live up to such a thing, considering all that she had accomplished in her life. ‘Twas a daunting prospect to reach the heights she had attained, but a feat I wanted to achieve all the same. "I have already seen some of your help already," I commented. "Considering you sent a spy to assist me."

Mother gave me a faint smile when I mentioned Subtle Song. "Ah, so you uncovered her identity? I do not know whether to be pleased that thou art so perceptive or annoyed that she was so easily caught."

"I have taken some of your lessons to heart, Mother,” I said evenly.

“I am glad to hear it.” Mother frowned thoughtfully to herself. “And I suppose Gale has taught thee a few things as well.”

"That she has. Though I do have to ask, did you have to assign me a spy who is so prone to trying to seduce me?” I asked. “'Tis somewhat distracting."

She chuckled at my consternation. "Every spy has their quirks. And she will not be the last pony who attempts to subvert thy will by offering you the pleasures of the bedchamber. ‘Twould be best if thou wert prepared to resist such measures."

"I am sure I can deal with it," I grumbled, my pride having been pricked by the idea that I could not overcome a spy attempting to seduce me. I had seen ponies deal with such tactics for much of my life; surely 'twas something I could overcome myself.

"Well and good, then." Mother's smile took on a mischievous character. "And really, there would be no harm in taking the mare as a casual lover for a time."

I choked on air when she uttered such a brazen thing. "M-mother! That is not a proper thing to discuss!"

She rolled her eyes at my outburst. "Come now, thou art old enough that we can speak plainly of such things. Surely thou dost have an eye for comely ponies around thee. There is no harm in desiring carnal pleasures and seeking them out when ‘tis appropriate."

I could hardly believe what my mother was discussing with me and felt my cheeks burn. Mother was one of the last ponies I would have expected to suggest to me that I should bed some bard I had only recently met. True, Mother had told me the advantages of using sex to my advantage, but ... this was something else entirely, for sure.

"I am ... that is," I spluttered. "I do not even know what to say right now!"

Mother frowned at my display of consternation. "Ah, this will not do. Thou art too old to be so unsettled by such topics. There is hardly anything so outrageous about the act that thou should act this way."

"'Tis a rather private matter," I said, trying to resummon my dignity in face of this indignity. "And one I am not comfortable speaking so casually about."

"I see." She rubbed at her chin as she considered me. "Thou art yet inexperienced in the matter?"

"Aye," I grumbled out my admission. I could have denied it or attempted to resist her questioning, but sooner or later she would find the truth of the matter. Better to just admit the truth and deal with the consequences. "I have dedicated myself to my studies and other duties, not ... such activities."

"So be it, then," she said with a casual finality.

The fact that I was certain Mother had come to some sort of decision worried me. "So be what?"

"We will correct this. I can purchase thee the services of a courtesan," she said.

That caused me to blink as the insanity of the proposition overcame me. "Mother! I hardly—that is... You do not need to buy me a prostitute!"

Mother let an exasperated sigh. "Need not, but I think it for the best. Really, thou art making too much of a fuss over this. There is nothing wrong with a young mare such as yourself enjoying the services of a courtesan. (1) Plenty of ponies thine age have had their first time be with a prostitute. I dare say that thou wilt even enjoy the evening."

1. As is true today, Canterlot possessed a number of brothels, with the upper scale ones offering courtesans. While prostitutes generally just offer sex for their services, courtesans were paid significantly better for their time, often being able to entertain their clients in a variety of ways, with sex only being one of the aspects for why they were sought after. It was common for single nobles and other well-to-dos of Canterlot society to hire the services of a courtesan for a day of relaxation.

I covered my face with a hoof. "I cannot believe we are discussing this. There is no hope that I will persuade you from this course, is there?"

Mother rolled her eyes at me. "I can hardly make thee bed thy courtesan if thou art so opposed to enjoying thyself, but thou dost thyself a disservice by allowing thyself to become so easily flustered." She tipped up my head by the chin so that I looked her in the eyes. "Trust me on this. I know what I speak of."

I sighed as I felt my resolve break down before the onslaught of my mother's argument. "Very well then, Mother. I am sure I can trust you in this."

"As well you should." She rubbed her chin and I could see her mind working towards something. "Another option, if thou dost not wish for thy first time to be with a courtesan, is for thee to ask one of thine acquaintances, if thou wouldst prefer for thy first to be somepony known to thee."

"I-I have nopony like that!" I exclaimed, feeling my indignity doubling.

"Well, there is Gale," Mother suggested, far too casually for the topic. "Were she not already married, I would have already asked Shadow to betrothe the two of thee. It would have made for a fine alliance."

I gasped with indignation a few times before I could speak again. "I would not ... neigh! She is already married and-and ... there are reasons."

Mother rolled her eyes. "Just because a pony is married does not mean she cannot have other lovers. And really, sharing the bed with both her and her husband would allow thee to experience both forms of lovemaking."

All I could do was cover my face with my hooves and pray that one could not indeed die of embarrassment. "I do not know what to say right now." Gale had been my friend for much of my life and while Gale might be very comely and her husband a fine example of the male breed--it was not to be thought of in detail, and I most certainly was not thinking of explicit scenarios where I were to make love with the two of them.

"Or if not her, some other." Mother chuckled to herself. "Ah, I remember this one clerk in the royal court back when I was no older than you, who gave me the most useful tidbits of information once I had ... made him comfortable."

I pressed my ears down to my head. "Mother, I do not think I wish to hear of your past dalliances." I knew too much of her current dalliances.

"As you will," she said with exasperated patience. "So ... if not Gale ... hmm. The sergeant who was guarding thee seems fetching enough, but thou wilt likely complain that he is married too." She hummed unhappily. "And he is a bit low-ranking for thee in any case." She tapped her chin. "No, thy first lover must be a pony of distinction. Preferably experienced as well. That way, they can serve as a patron to your career. I would prefer that you not remain wholly dependent upon me to advance your career." (2)

2. During this time period, it was common for patrons and mentors to have a variety of relationships with those they supported. Often these could become of a sexual or romantic nature.

"And I do not wish to be a homewrecker," I grumbled, trying very hard to not think about Sergeant Stalwart at that moment. While he might have been handsome enough, it would hardly have been decent for me to think amorous thoughts of the stallion.

"Very well then," Mother said, though I knew that she was far from done. "An unwed pony. Some distinction and experience. Hrm..." A grin that I found only evil in creeped onto her face. "Oh, I just had an idea I think you will quite like."

I let out a patient sigh, already guessing I would not like the answer. "And who is that?"

A pleased grin worked its way onto her mouth. "I know the perfect single mare of distinction. And as I recall, thou didst fancy her as a filly."

I gave her the most displeased scowl I could manage. If she were referring to whom I thought she was... "Nooo."

"Shadow Kicker does fit my criteria and yours," Mother said. "She is experienced and one of the most powerful ponies in Equestria. Thou couldst do far worse. She would no doubt become a powerful patron to you should you please her."

"She is your lover!" I objected. "And more than thirty years my senior!"

She shot me a chiding look. "Child, if you are worried about the age difference, I assure that nopony ever truly believes they are too old enjoy a comely young mare's attention. And the two of us have not shared a bed for quite some time considering we have each been busy with the affairs of state." She shrugged. "'Twas but a passing thought. All I ask is that you consider the option. It will take care of this little problem of yours and advance your career, both worthwhile things."

I rolled my eyes. "I will think about it," I said, having no intention of following up this suggestion. I was hardly so desperate I needed to seduce Shadow. I admired the mare greatly, but it was not an admiration that involved the carnal desires.

"As you will," Mother said casually, running a hoof through her mane to give it a bit more fluff. "Just keep my offers in mind. And do not hesitate to come to me for advice."

"I will be sure to do that." While there were many things I would discuss with Mother, I believed this was one I would seek to avoid in the future.

"Well and good, then. And if not Shadow or a friend of yours, there are always the courtesans." She made a pleased smile, no doubt happy that she had once again carried the day in her mind. "I am your mother, after all. And really, treat this as a reward for saving Appleton and an acknowledgement that thou art a full magus, tried and tested." She waved in a dismissive manner. “And do not worry, thou wilt be allowed to select the pony who will be thy pleasure for the evening. Thou hast earned that much, at least.”

“That is good to hear.” I supposed that there were worse ways to be rewarded, and as Mother herself had said, there was nothing that required me to take the courtesan to bed. All I would have to do is spend some time with the pony in order to please Mother. “I know that I could use some rewards after Appleton considering how trying it had been.” While I was not really seriously considering Mother's suggestion, at least we had moved the topic away from that of Shadow.

That prompted Mother to scowl. “Aye, I have not forgotten, and certainly not Gale’s role in tricking me into dragging thee into that mess. Especially after it resulted in your injuries. There will be a reckoning for that.”

There was more than a hint of a threat in her tone that I did not like. “Mother, leave it be. I am tired of this discord between the two of you.”

Mother actually blinked, as surprised as I was with the command in my tone towards her. I certainly could not remember a time when I had spoken with such resolution. "What didst thou say to me, child?"

I realized that I had stepped into a great deal of trouble. I would have to think and talk quickly if I was going to manage this matter. Mother had been tolerant of Gale's provocations in the past, having launched her own retaliations in response, but Gale had overstepped when she had—however inadvertently—put my life in danger by taking me to Appleton. Such was not a thing my mother would tolerate. She was coming perilously close dealing with Gale in a permanent manner, and I did not wish to see Gale mysteriously disappear or suffer an unforeseeable accident.

"I am asking you to leave it be." My thoughts raced to think of a way to persuade my mother not to act rashly. I knew that arguments of morality would not convince her. Therefore I turned to cold logic and self-interest. "Gale is a useful contact for me. If something were to happen to her it would hurt me. Not to mention 'twould damage your own relationship with Shadow if she were to find out that you were responsible for the death of her daughter—and there is what would happen if Princess Celestia were ever to suspect what had happened. I do not think you would retain your freedom, and you would undoubtedly lose your titles and position—again."

She met my argument with a long silence as she thought it over. I worried that she was merely thinking of a proper argument of her own when she finally spoke. "So be it, then. I will leave her be for now. This would be a poor time to move against her anyways." She raised a hoof before I could let out a proper breath of relief. "Though she has e'er been the instigator within this particular conflict. Take your objections to her. I have grown weary of her provocations, and will suffer no more injuries."

I nodded, knowing that I had at least bought myself time to deal with this problem. "I will see to her later."

"Well and good, then." She looked at me thoughtfully. "Though back to a more productive topic. We should see to improving your active defenses as well. It has been near a decade since I trained you in shield spells. While certain lessons in that regard ended regrettably, that does not excuse my continued laxity on the matter."

I felt myself stiffen at the mention of that particular lesson. It took an active effort on my part to push that memory aside so that I could concentrate on what needed to be done. "I hope that we can ... improve 'pon past exercises?"

Mother absently waved a hoof. "Of course, of course. I plan on this being a productive venture. I will not have my daughter return home injured once more because my training has been lacking in any regard."

"Neigh, I suppose not, and I admit I do not like being injured," I said through clenched teeth. "It is... unpleasant."

"Quite so." Mother placed a hoof on my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. "Which is why we will train until I am confident it will not happen again."

I felt my resolve harden as I stared into my mother's eyes. I had come this far to ask for her aid, I was not about to back down now. Far too much depended on it, I knew. "Then that is what we will do."

"Aye, we shall."


To my surprise, Lady Protector Shadow Kicker summoned me to her office. I could hardly deny a summons from one of the most powerful ponies in the realm, so I arrived at the Kicker Compound at the appointed hour. After speaking with the guards intended to serve as a buffer between her and anypony who might bother her, they led me to her office and instructed me to enter.

Despite my mother's continual protests for her to possess a workspace that showed the dignity and grandeur of her title, Shadow's office was plainly furnished. It only had the bare necessities to serve her needs as was often fit the austere ways of the warriors of Pegasopolis, and hardly looked the office of the pony who served at the right hoof of Princess Celestia herself. The only concession she had made to any luxuries were a mounted jeweled dagger Mother had stuck to the wall with a magical solvent (3) and a portrait of Shadow with her children.

3. Whatever substance Sunbeam Sparkle used to stick the dagger to the wall, it has stood the test of time and the dagger is still hanging in the same spot to this day. While the Kicker Clan could probably remove it if they wanted to, the fact it belonged to Shadow Kicker and that there is a legend that Sunbeam Sparkle had placed a curse upon the dagger against anypony who might remove it have dissuaded anypony from trying.

Shadow was busily scribbling away at some paperwork as I approached her. She did not acknowledge me as I entered the room. Either she was so engrossed with her work that she had not yet noticed me or was ignoring intentionally. Mother had certainly taught me the value of keeping those of a lower station waiting in order to show your superiority over them. Of course, Mother would probably also wish for me to take this opportunity to try and seduce the Lady Protector, something that was not going to happen.

"Lady Protector, you summoned me?" I asked to draw her attention.

"Aye, I did," she said, not bothering to immediately look up at me. After a couple more moments she finished up whatever she had been writing and put it to the side so that she could give me her full attention. "I have read your report on the incident in Appleton."

"That does not surprise me, considering Gale was there too." In truth, I did not know why Shadow had summoned me. So I was curious to see where she was going with this conversation.

She hummed neutrally and leaned back in her seat. "I have also spoken with thy mother on the matter. She has decided, and I agree, that thou wilt be a full time field magus once some additional training is complete."

Not quite sure what she was getting at, I asked, "My performance was found wanting?"

"Not at all," she said. "Dost thou disagree that thou couldst use more training?"

"I admit, 'tis something I desire, aye," I hedged, not liking the idea of openly admitting to the Lady Protector that I felt unprepared for some of the work being a field magus would require of me. 'Twas just the fact that I knew it to be true, and I was not about to insist I was ready in order to salvage my pride. Not when the lives of others depended on my actions.

"Then we are agreed." Shadow steepled her hooves as she studied me. "I trust thou canst see to it thyself, with thy mother's aid? She told me that she will be seeing to some of thy lessons."

I nodded. "That was my intent. She is one of the most capable spellcasters in Equestria."

"A fine teacher, then," she said. "And for when thou art ready to take the field once more..."

"I admit, I have not planned that far ahead." I said reluctantly. "Most of my thoughts and efforts have been consumed with improving myself and making myself ready, not what exactly what I will do after." I felt some embarrassment over the admission. I had determined that 'twas my goal to become an archmagus someday during my recovery at the Sol Invictus sanctuary , but the exact path towards doing so was still murky to me. That was something I intended to cure in the near future, but future planning did me little good in the present.

"Then 'tis a good thing that I have," Shadow said, betraying no emotions or thoughts that I could see. "'Twas common for a magus to work alongside a Pegasopolan warrior once. I see no reason not to retain the practice in thy case, and thy mother agrees."

That announcement piqued my interest. "Is that so? I take it that you already have somepony in mind?" I could not imagine that she would summon me here without having already made all the preparations. The Lady Protector was usually a very orderly mare.

"Aye, I do." A hint of a smile worked its way into her mouth. "Somepony who should quite suit you. Sergeant Stalwart worked well with thee on thy last mission. I see no reason why he cannot continue to serve thee well."

The answer was not a surprising one considering our history. Our success together certainly suggested that we could accomplish much. “He is a fine soldier, and I would welcome him by my side.” He had proved himself to me back in Appleton, and ‘twas good to hear that I would have a pony at my side that I knew I could work with. “I am sure he will serve me well.”

Shadow nodded. “I see no reason to break up a ... winning team, as it were. He is an excellent soldier.” She gave me a faint smile. “I think I will miss his services, but thy need is greater.”

“My apologies for pulling him away from you, but I promise to put his service to good work.”

Shadow waved off my apology. “I can spare a sergeant. Were I truly so distressed to lose him, I would not let him go.”

“Neigh, I would think not.” That issue decided, I asked, “Was there anything else, Lady Protector?”

“That will be all for now. Good day, Midnight.” Shadow picked up another piece of paper before she stopped herself. “I was most pleased by your performance in the field, by the way. ‘Twas most well done.”

I could not help but let a smile crease my lips. I had known Shadow for many years now. ‘Twas inevitable when she spent so much time with my mother for one reason or another. “Tis good to hear that from you. Though I intend to do better in the future.”

“Aye, one should always aspire to improve oneself.” Something about her demeanor changed as a frown worked its way to her features. “And I will need all the capable magi I can find in the days to come.”

“Is something worrying you?” I asked.

“I wish I could say that bandits were the worst of our problems.” Shadow let out a frustrated sigh. Banditry had been a menace in Equestria since the end of the Lunar Rebellion. Many pegasus warriors had taken to raiding the countryside and engaging in all sorts of base acts, and putting down those gangs had been no small problem the Lady Protector had to deal with. It was not encouraging to hear that there was a larger problem troubling her. “It may be something or nothing, depending how events transpire. It seems that one of the claimants to the Griffonian throne has finally managed to emerge as the winner. I just received a report that Severus managed to defeat Gustavus in battle not long ago, and even captured him.”

That was troubling news. Severus and Gustavus had been the last two serious competitors to be High King of Griffonia. That nation had fallen into a terrible civil war after a Pegasopolan raid had destabilized Westmarch and had led to one province after another getting dragged into a conflict that started over who was to rule Westmarch. (2)

2. This vastly simplifies an extremely complicated conflict. Griffonia has a long and multifaceted history, with the various noble houses within it interconnected by an intricate web of alliances, hatreds, and ties. When the archduke of Westmarch was killed during a Pegasopolis raid, it sparked off a succession crisis when the slain archduke’s brother attempted to steal the title for the duchy from his underage nephew. Neighboring nobles took advantage of the crisis either to try and install their own favorite to the title or seize land from Westmarch. This in turn led to more noble houses attacking those houses for one reason or another, and soon civil war spread across Griffonia. The situation descended into nationwide civil war when High King Gustav XIV died heirless fighting a battle in Westmarch in an attempt to quell the unrest. This phase of the Griffonian Civil War continued until High King Severus VIII defeated all his rivals.

I felt my spirits flag as I considered the implications of that. “You think he might wage war against Equestria?” Griffonia had no love of Equestria, and Equestria showed none in return. Not after the vicious series of wars to resolve who would control Manehattan.

“‘Tis too soon to say,” Shadow said warily. “It will take Severus time to consolidate his power. How much I cannot say as of yet. Thy mother would be a better judge of something like that. After he has done so...” She shrugged. “We will do what we must.”

“So we will.” I made my own shrug. While this could be the beginnings of another war, there was little to be done at this point in time but contact High King Severus to see what his intentions were and attempt to form peaceful relations with him. Either he would seek peace with us so that he could tighten his hold on power or renew conflict with Equestria. “Then I will be sure to be ready when that time comes.”

“I am sure that thou wilt.” Shadow gave me a distant look, as though seeing something I could not within me. “But that will be for the future. Off with thee for now, I have more paperwork to see to, and I am sure there are things thou dost wish to attend to also.”

“Aye, ‘tis so.” I moved towards the door. “We all have our burdens to bear.”


My meeting with Shadow complete, I went about looking for Stalwart within the Kicker Compound. I thought it best to speak with the sergeant about the new arrangement we now found ourselves under. I had left plenty of time to meet with the Lady Protector, not knowing how long our meeting would take or if I would be made to wait by the busy mare. That left me with the time to seek him out and speak with him.

After inquiring about the Compound, I discovered that Stalwart had no duties for the day and was likely in his home within Canterlot. After learning the address, I made my way to find Stalwart. Eventually, I found myself in a section of the city dominated by craftponies. As was so often the custom in Canterlot, the first floor of their homes were dominated by their shops. Following the instructions I had been given, I arrived at a blacksmith’s shop, though it looked to be closed for the day.

I stopped short of the home when I heard a great ruckus from within. It sounded like a mare was screaming at somepony within. I glanced about at the ponies gathered on the street to see if this commotion was anything to be worried about. The ponies about it seemed to pay it little mind other than the occasional weary glance and sigh when the volume reached a peak before returning to their work.

My own indecision about what I should do was cut short when a young pegasus mare opened the front door. She was a tall mare, with the rigors of warrior training showing with the corded muscles that covered her body despite her youth. Short brown hair made up her mane and tail, and she possessed a sea blue coat. Overall, I would say that she was comely mare whose features would ripen nicely with age, though the fierce scowl on her face took away from her beauty at the moment.

She slammed the door after herself hard enough to make me wince. Without missing a step, she spread her wings and took flight, her gaze forward as she did so. A few second later, Stalwart opened the door and frowned as he watched her fly away.

“It seems I might have caught thee at a foul time, Sergeant.” I said to catch his attention. If he had intended to go after her, I thought he would either have flown after her or called upon her by the time I spoke.

He blinked as I interrupted his meditations and turned his attention to me. “Oh! Good day, Midnight. I was ... not expecting you.” Neither was his heart in the greeting. Not something unexpected if he was having some sort of argument with the mare who had just stormed out of his home.

I shrugged. “That is little surprise, I was not expecting to come here when I awoke this day.”

Stalwart took one final glance in the direction his daughter had taken before looking back to me. “What brings you to my humble abode, Magus?”

Seeing little reason to avoid the issue, I got right to the point of what had brought me here. “Hast thou heard the news on thy latest assignment?”

He nodded. “Aye, Shadow spoke of it. I trust I meet with your approval?”

“Thou dost. I have full confidence in thine abilities to assist me.” After some consideration, I added, “I admit, there is still much that I need to learn and would not mind continuing with some of thy lessons.” After Appleton, I saw that there was a great deal I needed to learn about the world, and not all of it could be from a book.

That brought a warm smile to the sergeant's face. “We never stop learning until the day we die.”

“Unless we suffer severe brain damage and have been reduced to great simpletons as a result,” I agreed.

“Cheery as ever, I see,” he said dryly. He sighed and stretched out his wing, showing quite the impressive physique doing so. “Well, may I invite you in?”

“Thou might, but thou dost not have to,” I said, wishing to be polite. “I do not wish to impose with my unexpected visit.”

“Please, be welcome as my guest.” He opened the door for me.

“Very well then.” Seeing no reason to be rude, I headed inside at his behest. We walked through the blacksmith shop portion of the house and headed upstairs to the living quarters. Once there, I took the opportunity to look about the house and gain a measure of the stallion I would be working with in the future and his family. You could understand a great deal about a stallion by understanding his family. All facts are relevant, after all.

The home was neat and orderly, though not to the point of being obsessive, merely possessing the order and warmth of a home. While the decorations were relatively modest and spartan, they struck me as having a personal touch with decorative metal knickknacks and a variety of other items adorning the house.

“Thou dost have a fine home, Sergeant,” I said as we reached the living room. “'Tis my pleasure to visit thee.”

“Thank you very much, Magus.” He waved for me to sit on a cushion when he sat opposite of me. “‘Tis my pleasure to offer such a distinguished guest the hospitality of my home.” When I had finished settling myself he continued. “I should apologize for my daughter's behavior. Matters with Astra have been ... difficult since the war.” His ears lowered when he mentioned his daughter.

“Why is that, if I may ask?” Though I knew there was probably little I could do about the discord within his home, I still wished to know the reasons for it. At the very least he might appreciate an open ear for his woes.

“Her mother fought with the rebels and died in the assault on the Western Redoubt.” The revelation was spoken in a calm, even tone, but I could hear the pain underlining his words.

"My condolences," I said sympathetically. "I apologize if I brought up an old pain." It was a story I had heard more than once from the pegasi. Lyequinegus had laid out that the clanponies were to marry and have children outside of their clans, no doubt to help bind the clans together into the nation he envisioned. While it had been a successful law for many centuries, it had born sour fruit during the Lunar Rebellion when Shadow had sundered the Kickers from the rest of the clans. As a result, kin had often made to fight and there had been many instances of kinslaying during the war.

He waved off my apology. "I have come to terms with what happened. 'Tis an old pain, but one I endure."

Though he said he bore the pain, I could not help but see that it left its scars. "I take it thy daughter takes offense with the fact that one parent survived, but the other did not?"

"Aye," he said with a sigh. "That, and she is of an age when young mares become ... difficult."

I had never been so difficult for my mother, but I had heard 'twas so with many young adults. "I hope the division in thy family heals. Family discord is never a pleasant matter. Mayhaps 'tis something she will grow out of."

"That is my hope." Stalwart let out a huff. "Astra has always possessed a choleric spirit, but even her temper cools with time."

Feeling that it might be best to change to a topic that did not relate to Stalwart's familial woes, I said, "I did wish to discuss the idea of giving me martial training like what we started with before going to Appleton."

Stalwart rubbed his chin when I made my proposal. "An intriguing choice. Most magi disdain such arts."

"I am not most magi." He was correct that most magi did not bother with any sort of martial training. Usually only the knight-magi bothered with such things. "I was nearly choked to death by one of the hags. I would see to it that I do not experience that again." Upon thinking about it, the magi's disdain for this type of pursuit might be something that needed to change. Many magi had been slain because they had inadequate options once an enemy had entered into melee with them. But that was something that would have to wait until I had become an archmagus and could change some policies.

"I imagine not," he agreed. "So we shall ensure that does not happen again."

"I would like that," I said. "I cannot say that I will ever become as skilled as most of the warriors that thou hast served with, but I would at least like to become competent."

"I have much experience in training young warriors, I am sure I can manage with you." I had heard from Gale that Stalwart was often in charge of training many new warriors, and so I believed his words. Part of me had to think that Shadow had intended for me to do this very thing when she had selected Stalwart as my bodyguard. "Was there anything in particular you wished to learn?"

"Besides how to avoid dying?” I asked. “I admit, I am not sure. I have little knowledge of the ways of the warrior other than what I have read.”

“Then I will begin with the basic foundation and work from there.” Stalwart was about to say more when the front door opened and closed. His ears twitched as he listened closely to the sounds that came from the first floor. “Ah, I think my son has returned.” He stood from his cushion as a colt stepped into the living room.

“Father, I am home.” He stopped short when he saw me sitting in his living room and looked to his father for direction on what to do.

The unicorn colt struck me as a blue-coated brick with legs. While he was still young, I could already see that he favored his father’s strong form, and his messy mane as well, though Stalwart’s was not grey. Considering the colt’s age, the fact he was a unicorn, and that Stalwart had mentioned in the past that he was currently married, I guessed that this boy was from his second marriage.

Stalwart took place beside his son and wrapped a wing around his back. “Magus, this is my son, Cobalt Kicker. Cobalt, this is Magus Midnight Sparkle. I will be guarding her for the immediate future. Go ahead and greet her.”

At the beckoning of his father, Cobalt stepped forward and gave me a nod. “Greetings, Magus, ‘tis good to meet you. My father has spoken of you.”

“And ‘tis good to meet thee, child.” I gave him an inviting smile, but for whatever reason, he then immediately grimaced and turned an uncertain look to his father.

Stalwart shrugged to his son, and I got the impression some message passed between them. “Anyways, an idea has struck me. If you have time, milady, I could give you your first lesson on how to defend yourself.”

I pursed my lips as I considered the offer. “I see no harm in doing so.”


I was being mauled to death by a child.

To say the least, it was an unpleasant experience as Cobalt bent one of my forelegs at an unnatural angle while wrapping his legs around that leg and my neck to choke the life out of me. Not only did the child look like a walking brick, he in fact seemed to be made of brick. He possessed none of the softness one would normally associate with a child and seemed to only possess the hard muscle of a warrior. At least that is how it felt when he had wrestled me to the ground and utterly dominated me in our spar.

Probably thinking it unwise to allow his son to murder the pony he was supposed to be protecting in the middle of the Kicker Clanhold practice yard, Stalwart patted his son’s shoulder. “That is enough, Cobalt. Thou hast won.”

“Aye, Father.” Cobalt released me and stood up away from me, finally allowing me to get a breath of fresh air.

The time it took for me to recover from my defeat only served to deepen my embarrassment. I had helped defeat hags, blighted treants, and a demon, but a child not quite a decade old had easily overcome me.

Probably sensing my thoughts, Stalwart gave me an encouraging pat to the shoulder. “‘Tis fine, Magus. My son has been training since he was six, and shows much promise.” I could not help but detect a fair share of paternal pride in his voice as he spoke of his son. “I am sure you would have done much better if you had been allowed to use your magic, but right now we are concentrating on teaching you how to avoid what happened with Carrot Slice.”

"I know, I know," I said reluctantly. I readily saw the wisdom of his words, but they did little to reduce the sting of my defeat.

Stalwart moved into position next to me. “Here, how about you let me show you how not to get caught in that hold Cobalt put you in?”

“Very well then.” As much as I did not like to admit my failures, I liked the idea of continuing to have a child shove my face into the dirt even less.

Stalwart was in the middle of showing me basic methods by which somepony loudly cleared their throat. I looked up to see a grim-faced mare staring down at us. She was a blocky unicorn, with a dark gray coat and light-blue mane.

“Enjoying thyself, dear husband?” the mare asked.

Stalwart glanced down at me, and we both noticed that, due to him teaching me about grappling, that we were now in very awkward positions with one another. The sergeant coughed and swiftly removed himself from me, though the quick movement only seemed to make him seem all the more guilty.

“Zinc, ‘tis good to see thee,” Stalwart said, sounding unsure if ‘twas indeed good to see the mare. He gave her a peck on the lips before taking his place besides her. “Magus Midnight, this is my beloved wife, Zinc. Zinc, this is Magus Midnight Sparkle, whom I spoke of with thee.”

I picked myself off the ground so that I could introduce myself properly. “A pleasure to meet thee. Thy husband was merely teaching me how to defend myself from warlocks attempting to strangle me to death.” I blinked slowly, feeling the urge to explain what Zinc had seen. “I do not like the idea of being strangled to death. I know from personal experience ‘tis unpleasant.”

“I see,” Zinc made a contemplative frown as she looked me up and down. “Stalwart, may we speak for a moment? If the magus does not mind, that is.”

“‘Tis fine,” I assured her. “I could use a break in any event.”

Cobalt gave his mother a big, toothy grin. “Aye, I have beaten Magus Midnight in all our spars with one another. Just like Father taught me!”

Her son’s enthusiasm brought a smile to Zinc’s face. “That is very good, Cobalt. I am sure thy father is very proud of thee.”

Stalwart smiled, though I think it had as much to do with the change in topic as the actual topic now being discussed. “Aye, he is doing very well in his lessons.”

“That is my big, strong colt.” Zinc pecked her son’s forehead.

"Mother!" Cobalt leaned away from the kiss. "You are embarrassing me in front of everypony!"

"Oh hush." Zinc gave her son a nuzzle. "Thou wilt survive a little bit of love from thy mother." Done with her show of affection, she turned back to Stalwart. “Now then, we need to talk for a moment, Stalwart,” she said, pulling her husband aside by the leg. The two of them went off to the side of the practice field to speak with one another, leaving me and Cobalt alone with one another.

I was not sure what to speak with the colt about in order to fill the silence, and I was not overly eager to face his mettle again with another wrestling match. I knew how well that would go, and was not anxious to be put in another chokehold while the colt’s father was away.

Cobalt had seemed to take an interest in looking at my flank. When he noticed that I saw what he was doing, he hastily pointed at my snowflake cutie mark. “What does your cutie mark stand for, milady?”

Ah, he was of an age where a pony could become quite concerned about discovering their special talent and earning their cutie mark. I remembered being curious about such things at his age, even if I had not become obsessed with it. “For its literal meaning, it stands for my talent for the magic of the winter night. As for the more metaphorical part of my special talent, it stands for my tendency to end things, much as winter ends the cycle of life so that new life can rise with the next spring.”

“Oh.” Cobalt stood there for a long moment, probably thinking over what I had said. “Father is good at teaching while Mother is a good blacksmith,” he said, sounding like he had said such things more than once. I had a feeling I was not the first pony he had inquired about cutie marks with. "How did you earn your cutie mark?"

I felt my jaw clench when he asked the question. "That is not something I speak of, child."

He tilted his head at my response. "Why? Everypony likes to tell their cutie mark story."

"I am the exception to that rule," I said briskly. "Mine is filled with blood and death, and 'tis not appropriate for a child thine age."

"Oh..." Cobalt looked down to the ground and scraped his hoof along the ground. "My apologies if I offended you, Magus."

I let out a calming breath, realizing I had been too short with the curious colt. "'Tis fine, Cobalt. The subject sours my mood. Thou didst not know." Feeling that I needed to make some sort of recompense to the child, I drew upon my magic. "Here, let us not end this on that note." I created a sphere of ice and then began to shape it into a recognizable figure. Soon I was levitating an ice sculpture of a proud pegasus warrior to the colt.

Cobalt's eyes widened as he took the ice sculpture into his hold. "Wow, this is wonderful! My thanks!"

His bright smile caused me to smile myself. "Ah, but a 'twould not be proper to have such a warrior at thy beckoning and have no foe for him to face." I went about the same process I had before, only this time creating a larger figure. This time that of a fearsome looking dragon. I had often entertained myself by creating such things in my spare time. It had been good practice for finer manipulations of ice magic and it allowed me to be something of an artist. My grandsire had been a glass maker after all. "I have cast a spell that should allow them to last a few days. Though I suggest that thou keepest them out of sunlight."

"My thanks, milady." He turned the figures in his hooves, staring in wonderment as he took in the fine details I had crafted.

"Thou art welcome." I was considering creating more of the ice sculptures. Then inspiration hit me. I would create an eldritch horror the likes of which the world had not seen before. One with too many eyes, innumerable grasping tentacles, a gaping maw with more maws within that seemed to go on forever, and an alien geometry to its body that would defy explanation.

I was about craft my creation when Stalwart and Zinc returned and interrupted my concentration.

Stalwart smiled at his son as he went about playing with the sculptures. "My apologies, Magus, but this is where we must part for the day. I took this day off to spend with my family, and I am going to have to go and find my erstwhile daughter before 'tis time for dinner."

Zinc wrapped a leg around her husband's foreleg. "We do not spend as much time as we would like, what with my husband's duties so often taking him away from us."

I nodded. "I understand. Do you require assistance with finding Astra? I have spells that can assist with a search."

Zinc hugged her husband's leg more tightly. "I am sure Stalwart will be fine on his own. We know where all of Astra's usual brooding spots are, and not all of them can be easily reached by a unicorn."

"Ah, very well then," I said. "There are other things I must attend to before the end of the day anyways. Though first I would like to give Cobalt one last gift before I go."

Stalwart's family was not as pleased with my third sculpture as I would have hoped.


Later that night I was leaving the theater after watching a play with Gale. Being one of my favorite pleasures, ‘twas nice to be able to relax and enjoy myself. Especially when I had kept myself so busy over the last few days. Naturally acting the part of a proper young lady, I did not seek to carouse with Gale in the way suggested by mine Mother. While Gale was an attractive mare and one whose company I enjoyed, I did not see anything good coming out of my attempt to seduce her. Not that she would be taken in by my clumsy attempts anyways. I knew that from experience.

Putting such thoughts behind me, I grinned at Gale as we worked our way through the crowd departing the theater. “That was pleasurable. I especially enjoyed the part where everypony died due to their own hubris.”

Gale snorted in amusement. “Aye, I figured thou wast enjoying thyself when everypony died horribly.” She smiled back at me. “I had nearly forgotten such simple joys. When is the last time we attended a play together?”

I gave Gale a wry smile, remembering well the last time. “Sometime before thou didst drag me along to slay a black market merchant in order to prick my mother.”

“Ah, yes,” she said, falling back on her stony stoicism. “That incident.”

“Aye, that incident.” I took Gale by the leg and gently pulled on her to come with me. “Shall we talk in that garden over there?” I asked, nodding towards one of the small garden nooks that dotted Canterlot’s streets.

A gentle smile worked its way onto her lips. “Of course.”

She let me lead her to the garden, and once I was confident that we had privacy, letting go of Gale’s leg so that I could face her. I let the amusement in my tone drop when next I spoke. “Gale, please stop provoking my mother.”

“Hrm?” Gale tilted her head at the sudden change in conversation.

“Thou hast driven her wroth with thy latest deed,” I explained, trying to express the seriousness of the situation forward with my tone. “She blames thee for my life being put in danger in Appleton. She will no longer abide thine actions against her.”

“Ah, so thy betterment enrages her now?” Gale let out a huff and sat down on a stool. “She was coddling thee and holding back thy career by always holding thee to her side, and thou know’st it. While I did not know how dangerous Appleton would be, I do not regret giving thee field experience. Only that the mission was not an easier one for thee to cut thy teeth on.”

I glowered at her. “She is considering slaying thee. Thou hast gone too far this time.”

Gale’s eyes narrowed. “She would not dare.”

“What wouldst thou do to a pony that thou didst believe threatened thy daughter's life to their own ends?” I asked.

“I hardly threatened thy life.”

I rubbed at my face as I realized Gale was not easily going to be convinced of the danger she was living under. “That is not the way she sees it. Not after all of thy previous provocations, and thou dost know how she can be overprotective of me. Thou didst take me to Appleton as part of thy plans, and I nearly died there. In her mind, thou art responsible for what happened to me.”

Gale rolled her eyes. “Aye, she is most protective of thee when she is not abusing thee.”

Her bringing up old, sour memories brought a scowl to my face. “Gale, I am telling thee to cease. For thine own protection.”

My continual insistence that she stop caused Gale to narrow her eyes at me, irritation building behind them. "I do not fear thy mother.”

I grasped her by the collar of her armor and jerked her forward so that she was forced to look me in the eyes. "Do not be an arrogant fool. She is dangerous. Mother is the Archmagus of Canterlot, a pony of considerable personal power, and one with much influence and many allies to call upon. She has left a trail of enemies in her wake and thou hast angered her."

I softened my tone as I pleaded with her. "If it comes to a conflict, either I will lose my mother or my best friend. It could also create conflict among Equestria's leaders. I do not think Her Highness or thy mother will stand to the side long if it comes to blows between thee and my mother. Such could have dire consequences, consequences we can ill afford now." I placed a hoof on her shoulder. "Either for my sake or Equestria's, end this quarrel. Please."

Gale stared back at me, and I could see the turmoil going on within her. I saw a decade old anger over my mother's lesson to teach me shield magic, her wounded pride from a hundred cuts traded with Mother over the years, and the desire to protect me from a mare she despised.

Eventually she lowered her gaze away from mine. "So be it. For thy sake, I will not pursue the matter further."

I resisted the temptation to let out a relieved breath. I needed to be sure that this feud was good and done now. "My thanks. And worry not, I am not a scared, helpless little filly anymore. That should be obvious now after Appleton."

She made a shallow bob of her head. "Aye, thou art strong now, but I would still protect thee."

"Then do so at my bidding, rather than only at thine own volition." I nuzzled her. "Together there is little Mother can do against us, even if the worst of her nature surfaces again."

Gale let out a sigh, looking older and more dogged than she had before this conversation started. "Very well."

"Thou art speaking the truth with me, yes?" I asked in a firm tone. "I will be very vexed if I find out thou art conspiring against my mother without my knowledge."

Her head snapped up to look me in the face. "I would not lie to thee so. I do not trust Sunbeam, but I can trust thee and treasure thine own trust."

I nodded and sat next to her on the bench. "I can help manage Mother." I gave her a grin. "I did keep her from making thee disappear mysteriously, or suffering an unfortunate accident, after all."

A dark scowl appeared on Gale's face. "Oh? And when was this?"

"The other day." I grasped her so that kept her attention. "Why I wished to discuss this with thee. I would be greatly upset if thou wert to die, and so I needed this feud to end. Mother has told me that she will drop the matter as long as the provocations ended." And she very well better do so if I kept my end of this arrangement, otherwise I was going to make my displeasure known.

She let out an annoyed huff. "I have no intention of dying, whatever thy mother's intentions." I sensed that the words were born more out of attempting to salvage her pride than any planning on her part to act. That suited me just fine.

"And I have no intention of letting thee die." I poked her on the side of the head. "No matter how stubborn thou art. Besides, I think thy husband would be quite upset if thou didst perish."

"Aye, most likely," she grumbled.

I rolled at Gale's discontentment. "I have rarely seen anypony so unhappy with their spouse." Ever since Gale had come to marry General Dusk Cumulus she had done nothing but belittle and insult the stallion in my presence. 'Twas a mystery to me why she stayed with the pony that seemed to cause her so much grumbling.

"Familiarity breeds contempt," she groused, though I found the information she gave irritatingly unhelpful in explaining the issue.

"Sometimes I wonder why thou even married him," I said. "Or not gone ahead and divorce him for that matter."

"Temporary madness." Gale drew herself up and put on a haughty air. "And since I have already trained him in how best to please me, I might as well retain him for now. 'Twould be a pity to waste all that time and effort."

I was not sure what type of training she spoke of, and whenever I had asked she had only given me a knowing smile and answers so vague as to be useless. "Aye, I am sure that is what it is," I said without a hint of conviction.

She grinned. "What else could it be?"

"There is no love in Gale Kicker's heart?" I asked.

Gale scoffed at that. "For Dusk Cumulus? Ne'er."

"Thou canst be so strange." It seemed that Gale's heart would always be a mystery to me on this matter. "I am glad I am beyond such madness."

Gale raised an eyebrow. "What madness is this?"

I waved vaguely. "Whatever thou hast fallen into. Marrying a stallion that thou dost not love, nor for political advantage. Certainly not for wealth, for he possesses no fortunes beyond thine own. So 'tis madness as far as I can tell."

"Ah, that madness." She nodded in understanding. "A laudable goal to avoid that."

"Aye, I will be sure to marry for political advantage." Hopefully I would at least be able to find a pony I could at least get along with to marry. Whatever Gale had with Dusk struck me as much too complicated and draining to be sensible.

Gale shrugged. "As thou wilt."

"Now then." I took her by the leg. I was now content that she saw me as more of an equal and that the feud between Gale and Mother was now at least manageable. In addition, I had further bound Gale to me in the process. Now I had power over her, and from there furthered my goals. "How about we enjoy the rest of the evening? I am quite famished after that play and wish to go someplace to eat."

Gale smiled and stood with me. "A fine idea. And while we dine, thou canst tell me what thou hast been doing. From what I have heard, thou hast been quite busy."

"So I have." Together the two of us started towards somewhere to eat. "After Appleton I was thinking..."

Author's Note:

I would like to thank Chengar Qordath, Comma-Kazie, and JakeTheGinger for all their help in editing Midnight's Shadow.
Then I would also like to thank all my great prereaders Web of Hope, Cryosite, Swiftest, Infinion, Rodinga, 621Chopsuey, Novus Draconis, and Incidental Pegasus No. 5.