• Published 13th Feb 2012
  • 14,448 Views, 157 Comments

Scootaloo's Mistake - DiabolicalMonocle



Scootaloo has had it. She wants to fly. Will she ever learn from her mistake?

  • ...
5
 157
 14,448

Mistake

Scootaloo's Mistake
Author's Note: Hello there. This is my second story, and I wanted to go for a really sad, depressing story. Comment, rate and enjoy.


Today was the day. Scootaloo was fed up with Silver Spoon's and Diamond Tiara's snide comments. She was going to learn how to fly.

She decided to learn on a crisp, fresh morning, long before anypony would wake up. If they were awake, they would stop her from trying - stop her from learning how to use her own wings. It was just too 'dangerous'. Scootaloo couldn't take it anymore. What was the point in having wings when you didn't even know how to use them?

A couple of weeks before, The Cutie Mark Crusaders had visited Devils Drop - a cliff notoriously known for being a sheer drop. They all tried to get their Cutie Marks for sightseeing, but after several hours of boredom, the group was reduced to throwing pebbles and rocks off the drop. Thankfully, Scootaloo knew exactly where Devils Drop was.

Scootaloo made her way through the quiet, empty streets. She managed to sneak past every house without alerting anypony to her presence. Letting out a suppressed chuckle, the orange pony continued on her way.

Every breath she exhaled resulted in a small cloud of steam.

----------------------------------------------

It was way too early. Applejack had asked Rainbow Dash to get up in the morning, to make sure there would be lots of rain for her apple trees. Dash complied, even though she really didn't want to. She yawned, lazily opened her wings, and flew off.

She had collected more then five rain-clouds and moved them over the Sweet Apple Acres. Sure enough, the apple trees now glistened from the fresh liquid. Content, Rainbow Dash was done. Yawning again, she made her way back to her house for some much needed shut-eye.

As she glided over in the direction of her house, she noticed a small orange figure running through a clump of trees. Scootaloo! She must be trying to get her Cutie Mark still, Rainbow thought to herself. I might as well just follow her, and see what she's up to.

It was a dense fog that morning, so Dash could easily follow Scootaloo without her even knowing it. The multi-coloured Pegasus followed the small filly up a massive hill until she just stood at the edge. Hmm, what's she up to? What kind of Cutie Mark would she get from that?

Scootaloo stood at the edge. Rainbow Dash once told her that you have to run before you can walk. Well, by the end of the day, she would sprinting. The small Pegasus opened her wings and tried to forget about how high up she was. She had to do this. She had to make Rainbow Dash proud.

Scootaloo let her body drop off the edge.

----------------------------------------------

Rainbow Dash hovered for a few seconds before realising what Scootaloo was trying to do. She was trying to fly. No way would she make that jump. Even in her younger years, Dash was good at flying, but she would've never pulled that off.

Dash flew after the orange Pegasus, who was frantically shaking her wings to no avail. Rainbow Dash knew she would never be able to grab the kid and fly off, so she knew what she had to do. She flew faster after the figure and reached out with her hooves.

If Dash hadn't been so lazy, she wouldn't be facing this problem right now. She knew Scootaloo couldn't fly, but she never lifted a feather to help her. That was Dash's problem; she was just too idle.

Scootaloo wasn't flying.

She wasn't even falling with style, as Dash would sometimes call it.

The filly flailed her limbs, hoping as if by chance, she would escape from her fate. As if a miracle would happen. The ground was rushing up to her now. Closer and closer she fell to her inevitable doom. Scootaloo closed her eyes and prayed. She shouldn't have tried this. If she couldn't even hover for ten seconds flat, then how the hay was she going to fly away from this?

Scootaloo gave up. What was the point in even trying? She was going to die and there was nothing she could do about it. Relaxing her muscles, the filly willingly let gravity take hold of her.

A set of hooves grabbed her from behind and held her close. The hooves twisted her around until Scootaloo was facing up. She expected wings to open and her to fly away into the clouds with her rescuer, but by now, Scootaloo realised there was no hope. They were going to hit the ground.

Scootaloo looked over her shoulder, in an attempt to identify her rescuer. There simply wasn't enough time to look around fully, and the last thing Scootaloo saw was a couple of multi-coloured strands of hair flowing free.

-----------------------------------------

Beep beep beep beep beep

Scootaloo awoke to sounds of beeping and other strange, mechanical noises. The smell of disinfectant was strong, and she realised she was in a hospital. Her eyes struggled to open. Groggily, Scootaloo began to see her surroundings. Most of it was a blur, but she could just make out the nurse at the door.

“Doctor, she's awake now.”

A smart-looking unicorn came into the room, wearing a lab-coat. His bright blue eyes hid behind a pair of big glasses.

“Scootaloo, I'm Doctor Brown. You've been in an accident. Do you remember anything?”

It was a good question. Scootaloo couldn't remember a thing. Her muddled thoughts didn't help her at all.

“No Doc, I can't remember a thing.” The unicorn moved closer to Scootaloo, taking off his glasses.

“You tried to fly off a cliff that no-one has ever survived from.” Scootaloo gulped nervously. She was definitely going to be punished for this.

“How did I make it, Doc?” She asked. Curious as to why she had been the only survivor. A small filly like her made it, while others didn't.

“A Pegasus flew after you and caught you. She used her own body as a shield to protect you. Do you know a Rainbow Dash?”

Scootaloo suddenly remembered everything. The sense of falling off Devils Drop. The sense of inevitable doom. The feeling as a another pony grabbed her and spun her around. It all came back to her in a massive wave of emotions.

“Yes, Doc. I know Rainbow Dash.” The small filly stifled a sob. “Is she okay?”

“Scootaloo, I'm sorry to tell you this, but...Rainbow Dash didn't make it.



Yay, my first cliffhanger. Pardon the pun there. Hope you enjoyed that story, will be continuing this in the future.