• Published 3rd Jun 2013
  • 5,697 Views, 298 Comments

Spellbound Apples - Silentpegasus



Hex Swirl, a traveling magician has an unfortunte accident in the Everfree forest. He wakes up in care of Applejack who takes a liking to the stallion. What secret is he keeping from the ponies and what will happen when a pony from his past returns?

  • ...
13
 298
 5,697

Chapter 13: Family Reunion

Chapter 13

Family Reunion

It had been a few days since the meeting and the wounds were slowly beginning to heal. Hex walked back and forth in his cart with an angry look on his face. Applejack and the others were watching as he slowly made a rut in the floor.

“Just calm down Hex.” Applejack stated.

“How can I calm down? I agreed meet the bucker who left Trixie and I for dead!” He said with a grunt.

“You don’t even know why he gave you up.” Twilight started. “He probably wanted you to have a better life.”

“Oh yeah, traveling from town to town without anypony giving a flying feather that you’re alive or dead? Sounds real charming.” He said in a sarcastic tone.

“Hex!” Applejack yelled. The blue stallion let out a sigh and calmed his nerves. The White stallion bit his lip and wrapped a wing around the blue Unicorn.

“Trust me man, I know how you feel.”

“How so?” Hex said with a groan. “No offense Storm, but Dash told me about your dad. It’s not the same thing.” The white stallion bit his lip and let out a sigh as he realized he had to tell his friends one last secret.

“I know, my dad is dead. My mother on the other hoof is still alive.” He said with a gulp. Everypony in the cart looked at the white stallion in confusion. Rainbow Dash flew up to him and bore holes through him with her magenta eyes. “Dash, I can explain.”

“In all the time I’ve known you, you’ve never mentioned anything about your mom. Care to explain that?” She said in a harsh tone.

“You never asked?” He said with a small smile. Dash was gritting her teeth in frustration as she bore holes through him. “Okay fine.” He said in a low tone. “When my dad died my mom Summer Gale didn’t take it well, as to be expected.” The ponies all nodded. “She started drinking a lot and came home drunk more times than I’d like to admit.” He said as he hung his head in shame.

“Some friends of hers tried to get her help and be supportive, but it didn’t do much.”

“How long did this go on for?” Twilight asked.

“Till I entered High school.” He said in a flat tone. “Then....things got really bad.” He said with a faint sniffle. “She started doing magic grass laced with discolored Rainbow and it went down hill from there.” Dash’s jaw dropped.

“Discolored rainbow?” Applejack said.

“It’s what gives a rainbow it’s color and shine. If you cook it down to liquid form then it becomes a very powerful psychotropic drug. Highly addictive and damaging through prolonged use.” He said with a sigh. “One day I had had enough and we got in a massive argument. I packed my stuff and stayed with my best friend Thunder till I graduated.”

“So what happened to your mom?” Fluttershy asked.

“After the fight I called the police and they arrested her for possession of illegal substances.” The ponies all let out a gasp. “Luckily she opted for treatment instead of jail time and she got better.”

“Where is she now?”

“Don’t know. I haven’t spoken to her since the fight.” Storm said in a low tone. “I’ve kept tabs on her and last time I checked she was still in the treatment facility in Trottingham.” The ponies all gulped as they tried to swallow the stallion’s story. Dash walked up to him and slapped him across the face before flying out of the cart. “Dash wait!” He yelled as he took after his fiance.

The cyan mare rocketed through the sky leaving an angry rainbow trail in her wake. Storm caught up to her and was yelling for her to slow down. Dash just sped ahead and didn’t dare look back at the stallion. Storm managed to catch up with her and tackle her on a cloud.

“Let me go!” She yelled.

“Dash please calm down and-”

“No!” She yelled as tears formed in her eyes. “You promised me that there would be no more secrets between us!” She yelled. Storm got off the mare and hung his head in shame. The cyan mare gulped and saw how torn up Storm was over the whole ordeal. “Just tell my why you didn’t tell me.” Storm bit his lip and was fighting back tears.

“I was ashamed.” He said as tears formed in his eyes. “I practically arrested my own mother. Do you have any idea what that feels like? Its like...its like whatever was left of my family died that day.” The stallion said as he let the tears flowed. “I know that she hates my guts and she has every right to.”

“Hey, you don’t know that.” The mare said as she hugged him.

“What else could she think about me?” He said in a low tone.

“You’ll never know unless you try.” Dash said as she broke the hug. “I want to meet her.”

“What?”

“Hey, you gave Spit and Soarin a second chance. The least you could do is give your mom one.”

“I don’t know Dash what if-” He was silenced as a cyan hoof touched his lips.

“I’ll be there for you. I’m the element of Loyalty for a reason.” She said as she nuzzled his chest. Storm wrapped a wing around the mare and smiled.

“How did an idiot like me end up with an awesome mare like you?” Dash giggled and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

“It’s cuz you’re cute when you’re stupid.”

“So twenty-four seven?”

“Yup.” She said with a smile. “Oh and if she gives you any lip, then I’ll take care of her.” She said as she cracked her hooves.

“Now I’m scared for my mom.” He said with a sigh. The two ponied flew back towards town. The two landed in front of Storm’s home and walked inside. The white stallion trotted over to his phone and dialed a number. The beeper rang three times before being picked up by a sweet sounding mare.

“Trottingham rehabilitation clinic. How can I help you?”

“Yeah, I was wondering if you had a patient there by the name of Summer Gale?”

“Yes, she’s here.” Storm let out a sigh of relief. “Might I ask who’s calling?”

“Just a friend, how’s she doing?”

“Fantastic. She’s doing much better than most of the ponies we have here.”

“Th-that’s great to hear.” Storm said with a gulp. “Can she see visitors?”

“Of course, she’s available tomorrow at noon. Shall I make an appointment?” Storm hesitated for a moment and looked at Dash who gave him a nod.

“Y-yeah, that would be great.”

“Okay, all I need is a name.”

“Can I be left anonymous?”

“Sorry, rules are rules. We have to have to know who our patients are seeing.”

“Can you just keep my arrival a surprise? It would really mean the world to me.”

“I just need a name for the paperwork, I don’t have to tell Gale who’s coming.”

“Okay, my name is Storm Chaser.” A silence fell over the phone.

“Storm Chaser?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, how do you know Gale?”

“She’s my mother.”

“I...I see....well, we will see you on Saturday Mr. Chaser. I’m sure Gale will be happy to see you.”

“I hope so.” He said before he hung up. He turned to the cyan mare who smiled at him. “C’mon, let’s get packing.” The two ponies then spent the next several hours sifting through their belongings. As they neared the train station the two saw the rest of their friends waiting for them. “What are you guys doing here?”

“Dash told us and we ain’t letting you do this alone partner.” Applejack said with a smile.

“I suppose that if you could make up with your mom I may be able to get some tips for when I meet my father.” Hex said with a grumble at the last word. Applejack punched him in the ribs and smiled. “Plus, I want to help ya out.” He said with a small smile.

“Guy’s I think I should do this-” He was cut off as the fashionista glared at him. Rarity’s sapphire eyes bore holed through the white stallion. The Pegasus gulped having never seen Rarity so determined.

“We are going. Is that understood?”

“Y-yes.” He said in a frightened tone.

“I can’t hear you!”

“Yes, ma’am!” He said as memories of Spitfire playing drill instructor came rushing back to him.

“Splendid.” The white mare said as she walked past the stunned stallion.

“Sometimes it amazes me how much that mare scares me.” Storm said as the other ponies nodded in agreement. The friends boarded the train and spent the ride talking about other things. Storm kept looking out the window and thinking about what he would say. The afternoon soon faded away and was replaced by Luna’s night.

Dash curled up next to her stallion and sighed happily as the white stallion laid awake in his bunk. Storm gently slid himself out from the mare’s grasp and quietly walked out of the train car into the open air. The stallion sighed deeply and looked up at the moon lit sky. The white Pegasus breathed in the night air and sighed.

Several thoughts raced through his mind and he groaned. The door tot he carriage opened revealing the blue Unicorn stallion.

“Mind if I join ya?”

“No.” The white Pegasus said.

“How are you holding up?” The white stallion just shrugged. Hex nodded and walked up next to him. “Look Storm, I know how you’re feeling.”

“How so?”

“For the longest time I blamed myself for my mom’s death.”

“That’s different. It wasn’t-”

“Neither is what you did.” Hex cut him off. “She chose to use them as a crutch.” Storm frowned at the stallion and cracked his neck.

“You have no idea the amount pain she felt!”

“Look, all I’m saying is to not be to hard on yourself. You did what you thought was right.” The white stallion hung his head and sighed. Hex sighed and walked back inside the train car and rejoined the orange farmer.

Storm took one last look at the night sky before walking back inside. He crawled into bed next to the cyan mare and sighed as she wrapped her hooves around him. Storm soon fell asleep in the mare’s embrace and let out a long sigh.

The group of ponies woke up as the sun poured through their windows. The group yawned and waited for the train to pull to a halt in the station. The group then made their off the platform and into the bustling city. Storm looked at the clock tower and saw that he had one hour. The stallion got his hooves on a map and started to make his way towards the clinic.

The treatment facility seemed to be well cared for and the staff truly seemed to care about the patients. While walking the pink pastry chef’s body kept vibrating and fidgeting.

“You okay Pinkie?” Hex asked.

“Don’t know. I haven’t had my Pinkie sense do that since the hydra incident with Twilight.” The ponies all gulped at the words.

“So what does that mean?” Hex said.

“Something you never expect to happen is going to happen. Whatever's going to happen it's gonna be a doozy!" Storm ignored the mare and made his way up to the front desk. A teal Unicorn mare with a brown mane and a nurse cap trotted up with a smile on her face.

“Hello, my name is Dr. Needle. How can I help you?”

“Hi, I have an appointment to visit Summer Gale today at noon.” The mare levitated a clipboard over in front of her face and she scanned the scribbles with her eyes.

“Ah yes, that makes you Storm Chaser then?”

“Y-yeah.” He said with a gulp.

“Right this way.” The group of ponies followed the mare to a door with the letters C17 on it. Storm held up a hoof and looked at the group.

“Guys, I appreciate that you’re all here, but this is something I gotta do on my own.” The ponies looked at one another and sighed.

“We’ll be right out in the hall if you need us.” Dash said as she gave him a small peck on the cheek. Storm nodded and took a moment to get his thoughts straight. As he reached for the door knob he hesitated.

No! I’ve come this far. I can’t go back now. I gotta do this for dad. The stallion opened the door and trotted inside. The room was fairly simple. A single bed, a coffee table and a T.V. on top of the dresser. His eyes then caught the sight of a white Pegasus mare with a red mane sitting with her back to him.

Storm tapped his hoof twice on the floor and the mare turned around. Her sapphire eyes shrank as she saw the Pegasus.

“S-Storm?” She said with a quivering lip.

“Y-yeah.” The stallion replied back trying to avoid eye contact. The mare slowly trotted up to him and looked him over.

“Y-you’ve grown.” She said as some tears formed in the corner of her eyes.

“Y-yeah.” A long silence then fell between the two and the tension rose. Storm gathered his courage and let out a sigh. “Mom I’m-” He was cut off as the mare wrapped her hooves around him and cried into his chest.

“I’m so sorry!” She wailed. The mare buried her face in the stallion’s white chest and sobbed. “I was a horrible mother to you!”

“D-don’t say that.” He said trying to comfort her.

“Please don’t lie like that. What kind of mother lets her son be exposed to alcohol and drugs that early in their life?” The mare cried. “Your father would be ashamed of me, I’m not fit to call myself-” A white hoof then smacked her across the face. The mare looked at her son wide eyed.

Storm held her tightly in his arms and let his tears flow.

“No parent is perfect.” He said with a sniffle. “You were just trying to find something for that hole that was left in your heart after dad died. I’ve been there and I know how it feels.” He said as he rested his head on her shoulder. “Dad would want you to be happy and staying here isn’t helping.” He said with a sniffle. “I am so sorry for putting you in this place.” The stallion said as he hung his head in shame.

“I’ve regretted it since the day I did it!” Storm yelled. The mare gently put a hoof on the side of her son’s cheek and turned his head so that their eyes met. The whites of her bright blue eyes were bloodshot red.

“You have nothing to apologize for.” She said in a calm tone. “I was out of control and I needed help.” She said with a smile. “You saved my life.” Storm couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

She’s thanking me?

“The ponies here are kind and they helped me get back up on my hooves.” She said with a smile. “It was very difficult at first but I eventually got used to things around here. I only have one glass of wine a month and I couldn’t be happier.” Storm nodded and smiled at the mare. “When I heard about Thunder....I was so worried about you. It was like a wake up call that you needed me and I got my act together.”

“See, you are a good mother.”

“But I wasn’t there!” She argued. “If I hadn’t been so weak then I would have been there.” She sobbed. Storm put his hooves on her shoulders and looked at her with a frown.

“You are not weak!” He bellowed. “Could a weak mare got through two years of rehab and come out like she was?” The mare was speechless. “I thought so. You’re my mom, there’s no way you’re weak.” The mare smiled as more tears formed in her eyes. She hugged her son and shook her head.

“I see you got your father’s thick headedness.” Storm smiled and broke the hug.

“I’ll be right back.” The stallion trotted over to the door and motioned with his hoof. Gale sat herself down on the couch and looked over to see a cyan mare with a flowing rainbow mane. “Mom this is my fiance, Rainbow Dash.” The white Pegasus’ eyes shrank and her jaws dropped. “Rainbow this is my mom, Summer Gale.”

“Nice to finally meet you.” Dash said as she held out her hoof. Gale smiled and gladly shook it.

“Thank you for taking care of my son.”


“No problem. He can be a bit of a dunce sometimes so I have to put him in his place every now and again.” She said with a chuckle.

“Oh I can tell I’m regretting this already.” Storm whined.

“You should hear about the time he and I got zapped with a gender bender spell!” Dash exclaimed.

“Dash!” He yelled.

“Oh really? Tell me more.” The white mare said as she sat back and grinned.

“Mom!”

“What? I’ve missed the past couple years of your life.” She said with a chuckle. “Might as well start catching up now.” The white stallion face hoofed. “Rainbow Dash was it?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“You had my curiosity, now you have my attention.” She said with an evil grin.

“Luna save me.” Storm said in defeat. The two mares went back and forth about different stories involving the white stallion, much to his dismay. Soon Storm welcomed in the rest of the group including Hex. Each of them had a friendly smile on their faces and gave their approval.

“Rainbow, you and I are going to get along just fine.” Gale said with a smile.

“Thanks Ms. Gale.” Dash said.

“Oh please dear, call me Sunny or Gale. You’re going to be family after all.” Dash smiled. “So when is the happy occasion?”

“In a month. We are super excited!” Dash squealed.

“I’m happy for the two of you.”

“FYI, you’re not getting invited.” Dash shot him the dirtiest look. “What? You don't need an invite when you’re the best mare.” Gale’s jaw dropped.

“Y-you want me as your best m-mare?”

“Course I do. Who else?” Gale smiled at her son and let out a sigh.

“Storm, there’s something I haven’t told you.” She said with a gulp.

“Lay it on me. I don’t want any secrets in this family anymore.” He said as he put a hoof around Dash.

“I’ve....met somepony.” Storm gulped at the words. “We’ve been seeing each other for over a year now....I wanted to tell you but, I couldn’t get ahold of you and-” She stopped as Storm raised a hoof.

“Mom, you have every right to be happy.” He said with a smile. “Dad...he would want you to be happy.”

“You’re not angry?”

“I’ll admit I’m a little shocked, but given our terrible communication skills it’s to be expected.” The two shared a chuckle. “So who is he? I want to meet him.”

“He should be here soon.” The group all giggled in anticipation.

“Can you tell us anything about him?” Dash asked.

“He’s a Unicorn.” The mare said with a blush. “He’s got two kids a mare and a stallion.”

“Have you met them?” Rarity asked.

“I’ve met his daughter. Very nice mare.” She said with a smile. The group then heard a series of knocks at the door. “That’s him now!” She squeed as she got up and walked over to the door. As the door opened, time stopped.

The group’s eyes grew to the size of pin tips as they saw a familiar azure mare next to a dark blue stallion with a jet black mane, mustache and beard and purple eyes. His Cutie Mark was a test tube and beaker with green liquid in it. “Everypony this is-”

“Nightshade.” Hex said with a growl. The mare blinked twice in surprise.

“Y-yes, how did you-”

“Hex?” The stallion said with a gulp. Trixie gulped as she saw her brother. The ponies all felt a shiver run down their spine. “Is that you?”

“Night, how do you know him?” The mare asked.

“H-he’s my son.” The group felt the tension in the room triple as Hex walked past the two Unicorns without looking back.

“I need a drink.” He said in a flat tone.

“Hex wait-” Trixie yelled as he vanished in a flash of blue light. The dark blue Unicorn stallion slumped to the ground and held his head in shame. As the stallion vanished the pink pastry chef's body th seemed to contort and inflate until going back to it's normal state.

"That was it! That was the doozy!" The mare yelled.

"Pinkie." Dash said. "Not now."

Author's Note:

Sorry about the long wait. Hope you liked it.
Before people start questioning Gale. If you read 'The Dreams We Share.' Chapter 5 to be exact. Then you'll take notice that Storm never said that his mother was dead, just that 'he misses her' when he visited his dad's grave.