• Published 3rd Jun 2013
  • 5,697 Views, 298 Comments

Spellbound Apples - Silentpegasus



Hex Swirl, a traveling magician has an unfortunte accident in the Everfree forest. He wakes up in care of Applejack who takes a liking to the stallion. What secret is he keeping from the ponies and what will happen when a pony from his past returns?

  • ...
13
 298
 5,697

Chapter 10: The Storm

Chapter 10

The Storm

Hex galloped after the orange mare. The stallion’s mind was beyond confused. He didn’t have time to worry about that now all he wanted was to talk to the orange beauty. As he got to the door of the farm house he was stopped as a muscular red hoof slammed into his face. The force was enough to send the stallion back a good five feet.

Hex slowly sat up to see an enraged Big Mac glaring at him with daggers in his eyes. The once calm, gentle giant had now been replaced by a war mongering behemoth. “What the buck did you do to my sister?” He yelled.

“Mac please I-” Was all he could get out before he was met with another red hoof to the face. As the blue stallion slumped on the ground in pain, the red Earth pony spat out the piece of hay he was chewing on and removed his harness.The blue stallion heard what sounded like a tree branch cracking, he looked up to see Mac cracking his hooves. Hex knew that Mac was stronger than him, with the harness removed Hex could see the benefit of being raised on the farm.

“To think that ah actually liked you.” He said as he picked theUnicorn up and threw him into a barrel of apples. The wood splintered and cut into the blue stallion’s coat. Hex was beginning to get delirious, the only thing that was keeping him away was the pain from the his injuries.

“Mac wait, let me-” The red stallion put a hoof on his throat and started to press. Hex gasped for air and tried to pry the farmers hoof off him. The red stallion then lowered his head and whispered to him in a barely audible tone.

“Ya have one hour to get out of here or I’ll snap yer neck.” The bone chilling tone was enough to make an Ursa Major gulp in fear.

“What.....about.....Trixie?” Hex managed to wheeze out.

“She can stay for as long as she wants. Provided that you leave and never come back.” Mac got off the stallion and glared at him. Hex weighed his options and hung his head in defeat. A river of tears formed in his eyes.

“D-deal.” Hex said as he limped away from the stallion. Mac grunted as the magician stepped inside his carriage and saw it quietly roll away. After five minutes, the carriage seemed to vanish in the woods. Mac let out a sigh and put his harness back on. As he trotted out of the barn he saw two familiar flyers touch down in front of him.

“Hey Mac.” Storm said with a smile. The Pegasus then saw the red stallion’s stern expression. “You okay man?”

“I’m fine.” Mac sad in an icy tone.

“You sure? You seem a bit....angry.” Dash said.

“Ah said ah’m fine!” The cyan mare immediately jumped back in fear. Storm took a step forward and narrowed his gaze.

“Whoa, take it easy man. We’re just worried.” Mac let out a sigh.

“Sorry, ah guess ya’ll should know something.” The red stallion then told him what the orange farmer had told him. Storm’s jaw hit the ground as Dash snarled and cracked her hooves.

“Where is he? I’ll tear him limb from limb!” She yelled. Dash’s face was red with anger and Storm could see steam coming from her nostrils.

“Ah already took care of that.” Mac said in a flat tone. “He’s gone and if he’s smart then he’ll stay that way.”

“You sure that he cheated on AJ?” Storm asked.

“Ah’ve never seen her so upset!” Mac yelled. “Besides, we all know that Applejack can’t tell a lie to save her life.” The white stallion gave a reluctant nod.

“Good point. Sorry just had to ask. Still can’t believe it though.” Mac gave a small nod. Rainbow had calmed down a bit and looked at the stallion.

“Mind if we go see Applejack?”

“Maybe later. Ah think that she just wants to be alone right now.” He said in a low tone. “Ah’ll tell her that ya’ll said hi.”

“Thanks Mac, just let her know that we’re all there for her.” The white stallion said with a weak grin. The two Pegasi then took off and rocketed towards town. As the two took off he spotted a familiar purple dragon racing towards him. Spike stopped in front of the red stallion and tried to catch his breath.

“Mac....I have.....something....important....to tell....Applejack.” Mac sighed and looked at the dragon. He didn’t really know Spike all that well. All he did know was that he lived with the mare that had a hoof in breaking his sister’s heart.

“Spike, ah think the last thing mah sister needs is having anything to do with Twilight.” He said in a stern tone.

“You don’t understand!” The dragon yelled.

“Ah said scram!” The red stallion bellowed. Spike gulped and slowly backed away from the red stallion. Mac grunted in frustration and eyed a dead tree in the South field. As he reached it He gave it one kick with his back right hoof. The dead tree lurched and was uprooted by the force.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Storm and Dash had gathered the other three mares at Rarity’s boutique. Pinkie’s hair was dark and straight. Fluttershy had tears in her eyes and was sniffling. The seamstress had an extreme look of guilt strewn across her face.

“Oh it’s all my fault. If I had told somepony then-”

“It’s not your fault Rarity.” Storm said. “You were just trying to be a good friend.” The seamstress held her head in shame. The door opened to reveal the azure mare.

“Oh thank goodness Trixie found-” The mare then saw the cyan mare scowl at her with a burning passion. “What’s going on?”

“We’re talking about your no good two timing brother!” Dash yelled. Trixie frowned and glared at the flyer.

“What?”

“Didn’t you hear? Hex cheated on Applejack with Twilight.” Pinkie said in a low tone. Trixie’s right eyelid twitched and looked at the group of ponies.

“Hex would never do something like that.” She said in a strong tone.

“AJ saw it herself and she has never told anyone a lie.” Storm said. “Look Trixie, you’re obviously upset and-” The stallion was stopped as Trixie smacked him across the face.

“How dare you drag my brother’s name through the mud!” She yelled. “It can’t be true!” The mare yelled as she ran out the door with tears in her eyes. Dash was about to go after her but was stopped as Storm raised hoof.

“It’s okay Dash. She just needs some time.”

“I can’t believe we were friends with him.” Dash said in a defeated tone. The door to the boutique burst open to reveal the small purple dragon.

“Oh thank Luna.” He said as he walked up to the group. “Guys there’s something you need to-”

“Not now Spike.” Storm said with a dismissive hoof.

“You need to hear-”

“Spike!” Dash bellowed. “The adults are talking! Just go back to the library or something.” The dragon let out a groan and left the shop as he slammed the door.

The baby dragon then made his way through the streets of Ponyville with his head held low. Why won’t anypony listen? He thought to himself. As the small dragon walked through the park he saw a sobbing azure mare. Spike quietly walked up to the sobbing mare.

“Trixie?” Spike said.

“What?” She said in a low tone. Spike sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Look, I know that you and I aren’t exactly friends,” He said in a flat tone. “but I know that Hex isn’t to blame.” The azure mare looked at him in shock.

“What?”

“Look, it’s complicated and Applejack needs to hear what I have to say.” The dragon swallowed his pride and let out a sigh. “Help me out and I’ll prove Hex’s innocence.”

“Why would you help Trixie? Aren’t you loyal to Twilight?”

“I know, but I don’t want AJ’s and Twi’s friendship to end because of this.” He said with a sigh. “Truce?”

“Trixie will help you.” She said as she shook the dragon’s claw. “What do you need Trixie to do?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was late afternoon when the two partners in crime crept up beside the farm house. A black suited Trixie checked that the coast was clear and motioned for the similarly dressed dragon to come out. The two checked their corners and nodded to one another. The two stopped by Applejack’s window.

“Okay, now levitate me up to the window.” The dragon said. Trixie pulled back the hood and looked at the dragon.

“Why did you have Trixie wear this hood?” The mare asked as she glared at the dragon.

“Dunno. Seemed like a good idea at the time.” The dragon said with a weak grin. Trixie rolled her eyes and her horn glowed a faint pink color. Spike was then levitated onto the roof and looked in the window to see the orange mare on her bed. He gave Trixie a thumbs up and the mare galloped off.

The purple lizard tried to open the window, but found it locked. Spike bit his lip and let out a sigh. Twilight would kill me if she ever knew I could do this. The dragon said as he put a claw on the glass surface. Spike applied pressure and carved an arm sized hole through the glass. He reached inside and undid the small lock.

As the dragon hopped down on the floor, the orange mare picked her head up. Even in the darkness of the room Spike could see the mare’s soaking, blood shot eyes. Spike had never seen the iron strong mare in such a state.

“Applejack listen-”

“Just go Spike.” She said as she turned her head around. “Ah don’t want to talk anypony right now.”

“Then just listen. Hex-” The orange mare shot up and rushed towards the dragon with daggers in her eyes.

“Don’t you dare mention that scoundrels name to me!” She bellowed as tears flowed.

“Just listen to what I have to-”

“No!” Spike had had enough. He’d been blocked by Mac and blown off by his friends. He raised a claw and lightly smacked the orange farmer across the face, stunning her. Applejack blinked twice and looked at him in shock.

“Now before you buck me into Trottingham, just listen to me for one Celestia damn second!” The orange mare had never heard use such words before. The baby dragon let out a sigh.

“Ah’m listening.” She asked as the mark disappeared.

“Okay, I spent the night at Rarity’s cause of the storm. While I was over there, Rarity told me that Twilight had a crush on Hex.”

“She didn’t tell me?” The enraged orange mare said.

“She broke a Pinkie Promise by telling me!” Spike said with a gulp. Applejack was about to fire back, but remembered the repercussions for breaking the agreement. “Anyway, I was worried so I got up extra early and went over to the library.”

“Come to think of it,” She said as she raised a hoof to her chin. “I did see you standing outside the window with a scared look on your face. “Why?” Spike let out a sigh and sat on the bed next to the mare.

“This is what really happened.” The dragon swallowed his nervousness and started to tell his tale.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight laid in her bed early in the morning tossing and turning. The thoughts of the blue stallion kept creeping back to her. She wanted to be with him. The lavender mare was always jealous of the orange farmer’s looks. Twilight argued with herself for what seemed like hours.

The scholar rose from her bed and trotted down stairs to see the blue stallion snoring away on the couch. The mare gathered her courage and levitated a group picture of her friends. Her horn glowed a magnificent purple aura and she focused. Her coat turned orange and her straight indigo mane turned blonde. Twilight examined herself in the mirror and took a brief moment to admire her work.

I-I just need one kiss....that’s all. She said as she quietly approached the couch. The disguised mare gently nudged the stallion. Hex’s eyes folded open and he smiled.

“Hey hun. What brings you here?”

“Oh, just couldn’t wait to see ya.” Twilight said using her best southern accent.

“You okay AJ? You sound a little....off.”

“Just a small cold. Nothing to fret about.”

“Well, I think I have the perfect medicine.” He said with a smile. Twilight leaned in and pressed her lips against his. Her mind was a war zone.

This is...wrong!

It feels so good. Hex then prodded his tongue into her mouth, making the mare squeak in surprise. The blue stallion felt a wave of confusion wash over him. The taste apples and cinnamon flavor he had come to love, was replaced by a more berry flavor. Twilight was so lost in the kiss that she lost her concentration and the illusion evaporated.

The blue stallion opened his eyes and his pupils shrank to the size of pin tips. Before either of them could react the door swung open. The two froze as they saw the real orange farmer standing in the doorway with tears flowing down her face. The blue magician pushed the scholar aside and gave chase after the farmer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Applejack sat frozen as the dragon hung his head in shame. The anger the farmer felt was soon replaced by guilt. The mare held her head in her hooves and started to cry again. Spike put an arm around the mare and tried to comfort her.

“Sp-Spike. Are you telling the truth?” The mare said in a shaky tone.

“I wish I wasn’t AJ.” He said with a sigh. The farmer looked in the purple dragon’s eyes and saw no hint of deceit.

“Ah’m the worst mare friend in the world!” She wailed.

“That’s not true. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes then I wouldn’t have believed it.” Applejack shot up and got to her hooves.

“Ah gotta find him!” She said with a sniffle. “Ah gotta find him and tell him ah love him!”

“Mac scared him off early this morning.” The dragon said in a defeated tone. Applejack hung her head in silence.

“So it’s too late?”
 She said as new tears came to her.

“Not yet!” The two looked towards the doorway and saw the azure mare standing in the doorway. “Trixie happens to know where Hex is.” The orange mare galloped towards her with tears in her eyes.

“Please Trixie. Please help me.” She said as she laid on the ground. “Ah made a horrible mistake and ah’m sorry.” Trixie looked at the farmer and let out a sigh.

“If you were any other mare, Trixie would turn you inside out.” She said in an icy tone. The azure mare let out a sigh and looked at the farmer. “ But Trixie has never seen Hex as happy as he was when he was with you.” The mare’s horn glowed a dark blue crystal appeared in her hoof. “This is a tracking crystal. I’ve enchanted it to find Hex’s magical signature. If anything can find him then this can.”

“But he could be hundreds of miles away by now.” The dragon said.

“This crystal also acts as a one way teleportation spell.” The farmer’s eyes grew wide. “It should teleport you close to his position.”

“Why didn’t you use that thing in the first place?” Spike asked.

“Before now, Trixie was too weak to use it.” The two then remembered the state she had come to town in.

“How does it work?” Applejack asked as she took the gem.

“Trixie will use her magic. Keep in mind that it only works one way. Hopefully you’ll catch a ride back with Hex.” Trixie said with a smile. Applejack grabbed her hat and let out a sigh.

“Spike, thanks for telling me the truth.”

“What are friends for?” He said with a smile. “Now go get him back.” Applejack nodded and gave Trixie a smile. The Unicorn’s horn flared and the orange farmer was wrapped in a veil of magical light. After a flash of magic the farmer was gone from their sight.

The dragon let out a sigh of relief and followed the mare out of the farm house. As the two walked down the dirt road towards the small town. “Trixie,” The azure mare looked at the dragon. “I just want to say thanks for helping me.”

“It’s no trouble.” She said as she waved her hoof. “Still, Trixie is still confused about something.”

“What’s that?”

“After everything Twilight has done for you, why would you go and talk about something that could ruin her name?” The dragon let out a sigh and looked at the ground.

“Because she asked me to.” The azure mare blinked twice in surprise. “I’ve never seen Twilight look so guilty. She’s really sorry fro what happened and-” The dragon was cut off as he felt a blunt object strike the back of his neck. The dragon’s vision faded and slipped into darkness.

Trixie stood with her eyes closed and her right hoof raised over the now unconscious dragon. Trixie then levitated him into a nearby bush. The magician cracked her hooves and neck.

“Not as sorry as she’s going to be.” She said as she opened her eyes. The once amethyst pupils were replaced by ones that were now ruby red. The azure mare summoned her usual hat and cape as she galloped towards the small town.