• Published 3rd Jun 2013
  • 5,698 Views, 298 Comments

Spellbound Apples - Silentpegasus



Hex Swirl, a traveling magician has an unfortunte accident in the Everfree forest. He wakes up in care of Applejack who takes a liking to the stallion. What secret is he keeping from the ponies and what will happen when a pony from his past returns?

  • ...
13
 298
 5,698

Chapter 1: The Magician

Spellbound Apples

Chapter 1.

The Magician.

Hex Swirl, a dark blue unicorn stallion with light blue mane sat in his carriage reading a book as the carriage wheels bumped along the dirt road. The stallion stuck his head out the window into the night air and noticed a town in the distance. His horn started to glow and the carriage came to a halt. Hex stepped out and looked around to see the night sky looming over head a dark forest. He smiled and went back inside his mobile home.

He trotted over to the stove and started to cook a few vegetables in a boiling pot of water. “What I’d do for some fresh fruit right about now.” He said as he stirred the spoon with his magic. After the stew was done cooking he sat down at his table and ate in silence as he continued reading his book. “Duplication spell. That’s sure to come in handy.” He said as he closed the book and got to his hooves. The stallion finished his meal and exited the carriage.

I gotta stretch these hooves. Hex thought as he walked out of the cart and into the night time air. He ignited his horn creating a glowing sphere of light and made his way through the forest. He walked up to a tree and tapped on it. Interesting, never seen trees like these before. He said in amazement. Hex continued to move through the brush and noticed that it was starting to rain. Better head back. As he turned around he heard a faint growl coming from some nearby bushes.

“Uh-oh.” As the stallion turned around he saw a pair of yellow eyes staring at him. As the moon light shined through the clouds the light showed the timber wolf’s wooden body. He could smell the rank stench from the beast’s breath. He could see the drool oozing out of the wolf’s mouth. “Nice Timber Wolf. Good Timber Wolf.” He said as he slowly backed away. The beast snarled at him and licked it’s chops. “Well, I’ll just be off then.” He said as he turned and started to run back towards his carriage.

The stallion looked back and saw a full pack of timberwolves chasing after him. His horn flared and several images of the stallion appeared. As the wolves closed their jaws around the images they bit into nothing but air as the images vanished. “Allons-y!” The stallion yelled as he reached his cart. He hopped on the roof and ignited his horn. “C’mon lets go!” The carriage started to pick up speed and race down the road. Hex looked back to see the full pack gaining on him.

The stallion jumped and gripped the roof tightly. His horn flared as the carriage turned it towards the trees. “Oh I knew this was a bad idea.” He said as he turned around and fired a volley of spells. A few managed to knock a few wolves unconscious. “Ha! Ten points.” He said as he ducked a branch that almost knocked him off the roof. “Low bridge!” He said as he ducked again. Hex held on tight as he saw a clearing. He flared his horn which increased it’s speed.

Hex saw the wolves beside the cart and steered the cart into the beast causing it to break to pieces. He made it through the thicket and into a clearing. “Freedom!” He yelled. As he looked back he saw the wolves retreat. “I’m home fr-” He was cut off as his carriage slammed into something hard. As the cart stopped the stallion flew off and hit the opposite wall with a loud thud. Hex slid down the wall and landed in a pile of hay. “Okay.....Ow.” He said as he shook his head.

“What in tarnation was that?” He heard a thick southern accent say. As he got to his hooves he stumbled a few times and leaned against his crashed cart. “What in the hay is going on out here?” He looked to see a pair of frowning bright emerald eyes staring at him and an outline of a Stetson hat sitting atop her head. “Are you okay partner?” The voice asked.

“I’m good.” He said with a smile. He felt something seep from his head. Hex put his right hoof to the spot and felt something wet and warm. “I stand correct. I’m bleeding..a lot.” He said before he collapsed.

“Sweet Celestia. Get his legs Mac and bring him inside.”

“Eeyup.” Those were the last words the stallion heard before he slipped into unconsciousness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hex woke up with the sun shining in his face and a soft pillow under his head. The stallion opened his eyes to see a wooden ceiling over him and the smell of cinnamon and apples filling the air. As he sat up he put a hoof against his head to feel a bandage wrapped around his head. “Where am I?” He asked aloud. “What is that amazing smell?” He asked as he sniffed the air.

The door opened to reveal an orange mare with piercing green eyes and donning a brown Stetson hat that sat on top her golden blonde mane that was being held back by a red hair tie. “Oh good you’re up.” She said with a smile. “How do you feel?”

“Like I got run over by a train.” He said as he shook his head.

“Well, you did crash into our barn.” She said in a flat tone.

“That’s what I hit?” He asked.

“Eeyup. Ah’m Applejack.” She said as she outstretched her hoof.

“Hex Swirl.” He said a he shook her hoof. “Where am I?

“Sweet Apple Acres. Mah house.”

“Thanks for the help.” He said as he got to his hooves.

“You okay to walk?” She asked in a nervous tone.

“Yeah, I’ve taken worse hits.” He said as he cracked his neck. The stallion took off the bandages and looked at himself in the mirror and looked at the cut in his head. “Good patch job.”

“Thank ya kindly. Course it’s had around three days to heal.” The stallion’s eyes shrank at the words.

“What? I’ve been here for three days?” He said in surprise.

“Eeyup. Breakfast is being served downstairs if you want it.” She said with a smile.

“Sounds good. Let me just use the rest room.”

“Down at the end of the hall.” The mare said as she left the room. The blue stallion exited the room and made his way to the bathroom. He splashed a hoof full of cold water on his face and looked at himself in the mirror. He saw a shadowy pony like figure with bright red eyes staring at him. The stallion scoffed at the image and hurried downstairs. He was led by the enticing smells coming from the kitchen.

His gaze fell upon a yellow earth pony filly with a red mane being held by a red bow. At the head of the table sat a very big and muscular red stallion with an orange mane and an elderly green mare with a grey mane over at the stove. The orange mare from before was sitting on the left side of the table across from the filly. Hex joined on her side and gave the other two a nod. “Feeling better mister?” The filly asked.

“Yeah, thanks to you guys anyway.” He said with a smile. “If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask.”

“We could use your help in fixing the hole yer cart made.” The red stallion said in a flat tone.

“No problem. Let’s just get some food in our stomachs first.”

“What were you lugging in that thing anyway? Mac here tried to pull it out and it wouldn’t budge an inch.” The orange mare said.

“It’s an automatic locking spell I put on it. If I leave the cart then it locks up and I’m the only one that can undo the spell.” He said as he pierced his fork into the fresh stack of pancakes.

“Why would you need a spell like that?” The filly asked.

“Well, everything I own is in that cart and I don’t want anypony running off with it.” He said with a smile. The filly had a confused look on her face.

“You live in a thing like that?”

“Applebloom! That ain’t very nice.” The orange mare said as she glared at her younger sister.

“It’s fine Applejack. I get that a lot.” He said as he waved a dismissive hoof.

“What exactly do you do?” Mac asked.

“I’m a traveling performer.” The blue stallion said with a smile. “I go from town to town showing ponies different magic tricks.” The orange mare held a blank look on her face.

“So you’re a show off then?” The orange mare narrowed her eyes in remembrance of the last performer they had in town.

“Only when I’m on stage and I’m not trying to show anypony up.” He said with a shrug. “I just like to entertain ponies and show them what I can do.”

“Ah suppose I can understand that. It’s just that......This here town doesn’t have a very good track record when it comes to traveling performers.”

“How so?”

“We had one a few years back who shot their mouth off and ended up dragging an Ursa Minor into town.” The farmer said with a grumble. The blue stallion whistled at it.

“Jeez, how’d you take care of that thing?”

“My friend Twilight put it to sleep with her magic.” She said as she ate her pancakes.

“Wow, she must be talented.”

“She is. She’s the Princess’s student after all.” The stallion almost choked on his food.

“What? She’s Celestia’s pupil?” The orange mare nodded with a smile. Applejack got to her hooves and cracked her neck.

“C’mon y’all we got a whole lot of work to do.” Hex nodded and quickly got to his hooves. The unicorn followed the farmers outside to the red barn. His eyes soon fell upon a bright red barn with a massive hole in the side of the wall. The stallion rubbed the back of his neck with a guilty smile on his face.

“Heh-heh. Sorry about all this.”

“What made you crash into our barn anyways?” Applejack asked as she looked at the stallion.

“Well, I was poking around the forest last night when a pack of timber wolves showed up.” The mare’s eyes shrank. “So I hopped on my cart and ran away like a mad pony. Unfortunately I didn’t see your barn and well...” He said as he looked at the hole.

“Ah understand. Let’s get cracking.” The mare said as she pulled out some nails and a hammer.

“Let me just get the cart out of the way first.” The stallion said as he trotted up to the cart. The orange mare looked inside to see a small carriage with four wheels attached to it. Hex’s horn glowed and the carriage started to move out of the hole it made itself the night before. “There we go.” He said with a smile. Applejack handed him a hammer as the large red stallion returned with a cart full of wooden boards.

“Great now all we have to do is-” The mare was cut off as the stallion’s horn glowed and two copies of himself appeared in front of the farmers.

“You hold the boards.” Hex said as he pointed to the copy on the left. “You hold the nails and I’ll hit.” The two clones nodded and three stallions soon got to work on fixing the barn. The two farmers focused on the bottom portion. Applejacks jaw dropped as she saw one of the cloned walk up the wall like he would if he were on the ground. The three blue stallions stuck to their routine and by noon the barn was repaired and painted.

“Nice work there Hex.” Applejack said with a smile.

“Thanks.” He said as the clones vanished and he started to pant heavily.

“You okay?” She asked.

“Yeah........Just not used to that spell yet.” He said as he continued to pant. “Spells that I’m not used to wear me out.” He said as he regulated his breathing. “Time to asses the damage.” He said as he trotted over to his cart. The cart itself was simple, painted a deep blue with a silver stripe going horizontally across the center. It was ten by fifteen feet and was being held by four wooden wheels.

“Doesn’t look too banged up.” The farmer said as she looked over the cart.

“I need to check the interior.” He said s he got to the steps. “Come on in if you want.”

“How in the hay am I supposed to fit in that thing.” She asked as she cocked an eyebrow. The stallion smirked and opened the door. The orange mare followed him inside. Her eyes grew wide as she saw a massive room that rivaled the interior of city hall. She stepped outside the cart and circled around it twice and ran back inside to see the blue stallion smirking.

“It’s.....It’s bigger on the inside!”

“I love it when they say that.” He said as he lifted up a floorboard and retrieved a glowing blue gem.

“What?......How can?......How in the name of Celestia is this possible?” She stammered.

“Magic.” He said as he pointed to his horn.

“What’s that for?” She asked as she looked at the crystal.

“Power source. This contains a bit of magic that makes the cart move on it’s own.” The crystal started to blink bright red. “Uh-oh.”

“What?”

“This needs to recharge.”


“Recharge?”

“Yeah. It need’s to charge once every few months.” He said as he tapped the crystal. The crystal started to blink rapidly and point in the other direction as Hex held it in his hoof. “Uh-oh.”

“What?”

“We’d batter get out before-” He was cut off as the door slammed shut and the cart started moving. “This is bad.”

“What in tarnation are you doing?” Applejack yelled. The mare tried to pry open the door. “Foalnapper!” She yelled.

“I’m not doing anything!” He bellowed. The cart bounced down the road making the two ponies inside rebound off the walls and ceiling. As the cart pulled to a stop Hex felt added weight land on top of him. He opened his eyes to see that the farmer had landed on top of his chest. Applejack opened her eyes to see the dark blue stallion staring at her with a blush on his face. The mare immediately got to her hooves and pulled her hat down to hide her blush. Hex cleared his throat and noticed that the gem was trying to get out of the cart.

“Gotcha!” He yelled as he grabbed the gem. Only to have it drag him out the door into a small town. The crystal flew free from his grip and launched itself in front of a lavender unicorn mare who was exiting the library with a small dragon by her side.

“What is this thing?” She asked as the crystal stopped in front of her and started to glow. The dark blue stallion and the orange mare then galloped over to them. Hex carefully summoned a glass jar and trapped it inside like a firefly.

“Sorry about that ma’am.” Hex said as the jar vanished.

“It’s no trouble.” She said with a smile. The unicorn then noticed the farmer standing next to him with an angry look on her face. “You know him AJ?”

“This feller just tried to kidnap me!”

“What?” The unicorn said as her eyes narrowed on the stallion.

“No wait! That’s not what happened!” He said as the two mares glared at him. “Look that crystal was the power source for my carriage. It charges by leeching off the residual magic of the closest and most powerful magic source in the area.” He said with a sigh. “Most of the time that’s me but, it must have chosen your friend for some reason.” He said as he looked at the farmer.

“So that thing made the cart move?” The farmer said as she cocked her head to the side.

“Yeah and I forgot to switch it to manual control.” He said as he face hoofed. The lavender mare relaxed her stance and let out a sigh.

“So...Who are you?” The purple dragon asked.

“Right. Where are my manners? Hex Swirl.” He said as he shook the lavender mare’s hoof.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. My name is Twilight Sparkle.” She said with a smile. Hex’s mind clicked at the name.

“Wait. Applejack is this?”

“Eeyup.” She said in a flat tone.

“It’s an honor to meet the Princess’s pupil.” He said with a bow.

“Oh stop.” Twilight said with a smile. “How do you know Applejack?”

“We ‘officially’ met this morning.” The farmer said with a smile. The blue unicorn then made his horn glow and a line appeared on Twilight’s body the line then moved up and down twice before it vanished.

“Wow, no wonder the crystal was drawn to you. You’re a class eight Unicorn. Rare to meet one nowadays.” He said with a shocked look on his face.

“Class eight?” The farmer asked.

“A Unicorn’s magic ability is broken up into different classes. One being the lowest and ten being the highest. Normal Unicorns rarely go above a class four or five.” The lavender mare clarified.

“So if Twi’s a class eight. What are you?” The farmer asked as she looked at the blue stallion.

“Last time I checked, I was a class six.” He said with a grin. The stallion looked at the clock tower and let out a sigh. “Hey where’s the center of town?” He asked as he looked at the mares.

“In front of town hall. Why?” Twilight asked.

“Well, I need to set up somewhere for my show and the center of town seems like the best place.”

“Your show?” Twilight said as she cocked an eyebrow.

“Yeah, I’m a traveling performer.” Twilight nodded her head and had a skeptic look on her face. “So where’s town hall?” He asked.

“Just keep following this street until you see a big building in front. You can’t miss it.” The unicorn pointed.

“Thanks and feel free to come by. It’ll be quite the show!” He put his hoof to his lips and whistled. The mare’s looked in shock as they saw the dark blue cart pull up beside the stallion. “Allons-y!” He yelled as the cart took off down the street with the stallion holding on the roof. Applejack looked at Twilight who was scratching her chin.

“What are ya think’n Twi? Think he’s like Trixie?” The farmer asked.

“Not sure. He seems normal.....for the most part anyway. We’ll see how he acts during his performance.” She said in a flat tone.

“He didn’t seem like a show off when he was helping Mac and I fix up the barn.” The farmer said as she rubbed her chin. “Although...It was his fault that it was damaged in the first place.”

“Wait, is that the stallion you’ve been talking about? The one that crashed into your barn?” The lavender mare asked.

“Eeyup. He helped us fix and re paint it.” She said with a smile. Twilight raised an eyebrow and let out a sigh.

“Let’s just see how things play out until we start making radical accusations.”

“Ah hear ya.” The farmer said with a smile.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hex stopped the cart as he arrived in front of the large building. The stallion looked around and smiled. As he got off the roof of the cart he was suddenly approached by a bright pink earth pony mare with a bouncy curly pink mane and a massive smile on her face. “HI!” She yelled.

“Sup?” He asked with a grin.

“I’ve never seen you before! Are you new in town?”

“Yeah.....sort of. My name’s Hex Swirl by the way.”

“I’m Pinkie Pie!” She said with a smile. “Do you wanna be friends?”

“Sure why not?” Hex smiled. “Hey can you do me a favor?” The mare nodded. “Tell as many ponies as you can that there’ll be a performance her in a half hour.”

“Okie dokie lokie!” The mare said as she zoomed off down the street. Hex went inside his carriage and started to review his act in his mind. The stallion trotted over to a closet and withdrew a black cape with a red interior along with a black top hat with a red band around it. The stallion looked himself over in the mirror and smiled as he levitated a spell book in front of him and started to read.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Applejack sat in the library across from Twilight as she finished telling her how Hex fixed the barn. “A clone spell?”

“Ah don’t know much about magic, but that’s what it looked like.” She said with a shrug.

“That’s pretty advanced magic. I wonder where he learned it.” The mares looked over to the door to see Rainbow Dash and Rarity. “Hey girls what’s up?”

“Pinkie just came up saying that there’s a show going on in front of town hall in ten minutes. We’re gonna go check it out.” Dash said with a wicked grin on her face.

“Why are you smiling like that Dash?” Applejack asked.

“On the off chance that we have another Trixie on our hooves, some of the towns folk and I put a little something together for them.” Rarity said as she pointed to a few ponies hauling a cart of tomatoes. The farmer frowned and looked at the two.

“Now look here girls, I met the stallion who’s performing. He doesn’t seem to be anything like Trixie. Twi’s met him too.” The two mares looked at the lavender unicorn who gave them a nod. “All I’m saying is that we don’t count our chickens before they hatch.” The farmer said with a sigh. “If he does turn out to be a show off then I’ll personally throw him and his fancy wagon out of town.” The mares all nodded and made their way towards the center of town where a large group of ponies had gathered.

Twilight and her friends made their way to the front of the group of ponies who all had sceptic looks on their faces. Twilight trotted forward and faced the crowd. “Alright everypony listen up. Let’s give the performer a chance before we pass judgement on him.” The mare said as the crowd let out a groan.

“But if he is anything like the last one then throw these babies to your heart’s content.” Rainbow yelled as she pointed at the cart full of tomatoes. The crowd erupted with cheers as the cart’s side opened up making a stage appear out the side. The ponies watched as a a top hat appeared on stage.

The mare’s watched in amazement as a blue hoof popped out of the hat and started to pull it up. Three more hooves popped out of the hat and the rest of the blue stallion’s body until the hat rested on top of his head. “Morning folks. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hex The Mysterious.” Some ponies took a tomato and lined up their shot. “I want to thank you all for taking this time out of your work day to see me perform.” He said with a smile. “Now sit back and enjoy the show.” He said with a smile. The stallion showed them some basic replication and hat tricks. Most of the ponies looked u impressed and let out a sigh.

“For my next trick I need a volunteer from the audience.”

“Me!” Hex looked to see a cyan Pegasus mare with a Rainbow mane fly up on stage.

“Thank you. What’s your name?” He asked as he pulled out a deck of cards from his hat.

“Rainbow Dash. Fastest flier in Equestria” She said as she struck a pose.

“Rainbow Dash......Didn’t you win the Best Young Flies Competition a few years ago?” He asked as he shuffled the deck.

“That’s me!” She said with a smile.

“Well, Ms. Dash what I need you to do is memorize the card I’m going to show you and the audience. Don’t tell me what it is.” The cyan mare rolled her eyes and let out a sigh.

“That’s it?” She asked.

“Yup.” He said as he spread the card’s out with his magic and covered his eyes with his hooves. Rainbow selected the joker card and showed the unimpressed crowd. “Do you have it memorized?”

“Yeah.” She said in a flat tone. The stallion put the card back into the deck and put the stack of cards back inside his hat.

“Good. Now cough.”

“What?” She said in surprise.

“Cough. Like you were sick or something.” The mare shrugged and started to face cough. The mare’s eyes shrank as she felt something in her throat. She started to cough wildly until she spat out a small bit of paper. The stallion picked it up and unrolled it to reveal the joker card only the joker was replaced by the cyan mare striking a pose. “Is that your card?” He asked with a smile. The crowd’s jaws dropped

“How in the hay did you do that?” Dash yelled.

“Magic.” He said as he tipped his hat to the mare. “Thank you Ms. Dash.” Hex said as the mare flew off the stage. “This next one is an oldie but a goodie.” He said as his horn flared and a cylinder with tiny pin sized holes in it appeared around his body. Hex’s horn flared again and hundreds of small needles appeared around the prison.

Some ponies in the audience gasped at the number of needles. The stallion smiled and the needles launched themselves toward the stallion. Hex bit his lip as the needles penetrated the wooden cylinder. The crowd fell silent as the stallion shuddered and red liquid started to seep out of the holes.

“Somepony get a doctor!” Twilight yelled.

“He’ll be fine.” A voice said.

“How did you-.” The mare was cut off as she noticed the blue stallion standing next to her with a smile. The stallion pointed to the barrel which opened to reveal a massive amount of tomatoes in place of the stallion. The mare’s let out a sigh of relief as he teleported back on stage. The stallion made glass of water appear in his hoof as he made the cylinder vanish. As the stallion finished drinking the ponies looked in surprise as water started to spit out of his mid section like a shower head.

“Anypony know a Plummer? Looks like sprung a leak.” He said as he looked at his side. The ponies in the crowd started to laugh. “Now for this next one I’ll also need some help with. Any volunteers?” He asked. The crowd remained silent. “Okay then let’s see what I have in my hat.” He said as he removed his hat and stuck his hoof inside. The stallion pulled a live manticore’s head out of the brim. “Uh-oh.” He said as the beast roared.

“Wrong one!” He said as he pushed the animal’s head back inside. “Sorry about that. Let’s try that again.” He said as he put the hat down on the stage. “Okay now let’s see who the lucky pony is.” He said as he lifted the hat. Hex smiled as he raised the hat to see the orange farmer sitting on the stage, staring at the crowd in confusion.

“What in tarnation?” The mare said in confusion as she looked at the group of ponies who had shocked looks on their faces.

“Thank you for the assistance Applejack. Now if you’d be so kind as to hold this for me?” He said as he pulled a very sharp axe out of his hat.

“What do you need that thing for?” She asked as he handed it to her.

“Just play along.” He said as a two boards wrapped around his head and hooves. “Now Applejack. I want you to take that axe and cut my head off.” A dead silence fell over the crowd as the mare looked at him in shock.

“No way no how am I gonna play executioner.” She said as she dropped the axe.

“I’ll be fine. Have some faith.” He said with a grin.

“Promise that no harm will come to ya.” She said in a hesitant tone.

“I give you my word.” He said with a cocky smile.

“Alright then.” She said as she raised the axe. As she raised it the mare had a concerned look on her face. As she held it up the crowd gasped. The mare threw the axe on the stage and lowered her head. “Ah can’t do it.”

“Okay then. Plan B.” Before anyone could react a copy of the blue stallion appeared out of a cloud of smoke and picked up the axe. Time seemed to slow down as the copy swung the axe and the blade sliced through the stallion’s neck. The group of ponies looked in horror as the stallion’s head landed on the stage as the clone and axe vanished. The body of the stallion fell forward motionless.

“Man that trick is a pain in the neck.” The group looked down to see the stallion’s head talking and smiling at them. Several ponies gasped in shock. “Hey brainless. Quite napping and get over here.” The headless body got to it’s hooves and walked over to the head. “To be or not to be. That is the question.” The head said as the body held up the stallion’s head. The Unicorn’s body the put the stallion’s head on backwards. “Hey what the?” He said as he stood on his hind legs and looked down to see his tail and flank. “Why didn’t somepony tell me my flank was so big? Looks like I need to get my head on straight and start working out.” The stallion thought for a moment. “Wow that was a bad pun.” He said as he grabbed his head and spun it around so it was on straight.

Twilight looked in shock as the stallion smiled at the farmer. “Thank’s for your help Applejack.” The stunned farmer made her way off stage and beside her still shocked friends. The stallion started to pant heavily and dropped to one knee. “Sorry folks, but that’s the end of the show. Thank’s for coming out.” He said as his horn flared and his body turned into a cloud of smoke that evaporated into the wind.

The ponies looked at one another in shock and clapped for his performance. The stallion appeared inside his carriage and trotted over to his bed. “I think I may have gone overboard with that last one.” He said as he collapsed on the bed.

Back outside the six mares made their way back towards the library. “Well, that was.....interesting.” Twilight said with a gulp.

“Are you kidding me? That was so cool!” Pinkie yelled. “I’ve never seen a pony take his head off before!”

“No pony can do that.” Twilight said in a flat tone. “It was either forbidden magic or something else.” The mare said as she narrowed her eyes.

“What ever it is it’s kinda creepy. He made a piece of paper come out of my mouth!” Rainbow yelled.

“Ah hear ya. At least he’s no Trixie.” The farmer said with a shrug.

“True.” Twilight said. “I still wanna see how he did those spells.” The unicorn said in an interested tone.

“Well, you can ask him at the party I’m going to throw him tonight.” Pinkie said with a smile.

“Good idea.” Twilight said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hex was fast asleep on his bed when he heard a knocking sound coming from his door. The stallion let out a yawn and went to the door. He opened it to see the orange mare standing there with a blank look on her face. “Can I help you?”

“Some of the gals are having a shindig down at Sugar Cube Corner, they sent me to come and get ya if ya wanted to come.” She said in a flat tone.

“Sure, just let me get my hat.” He said as his horn flared and his top hat and cape wrapped around him. “Alright, lead the way.” He aid as he closed the door to his trailer.

“Right just one thing.” The mare said as she slapped him across the face.

“Okay ow. What was that for?” He asked as he rubbed the sore spot.

“For trying to convince me to chop yer block off!” She yelled.

“Relax I was never in any danger.”

“Still scared the daylights out of me.” She said with a frown.

“Fine. I’m sorry.” He said as the two continued to walk through town. As they got to the pastry establishment Hex noticed that all the lights were off. As he entered darkness left the room and several ponies popped up from behind the counter and seats.

“SURPRISE!” The ponies yelled. Hex felt his heart almost stop in the shock. As he let out a pant. Suddenly a familiar pink mare galloped up to him with a smile on her face.

“Well did we surprise ya?” She asked with a massive grin on her face.

“To say the least, yes.” He said as he felt his heart go back into it’s normal rhythm. “Mind telling me what the party is for?”

“It’s your ‘Welcome to Ponyville Party!’” The mare said with a smile.

“Well, I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t the warmest reception I’ve ever received.” He said with a smile.

“YAY! Let’s party!” She yelled as the music flared. The blue stallion followed Applejack who sat down next to Twilight and Rainbow Dash. The blue stallion sat down across from the lavender mare and her two friends. Hex introduced himself to the other mares and smiled.

“So Hex where are you from anyway?” Rarity asked.

“I’m from all over. I’m a traveling performer. remember?” He said with a grin.

“Those were some....interesting tricks you showed us today.” Twilight said with a gulp.

“Yeah, sorry if I startled you.”

“Are you kidding? That trick with the head was so cool!” Pinkie chimed.

“Thank you.” He said with a nod.

“Can I ask something?” Twilight said.

“Sure.”

“How did you perform those tricks?”

“Sorry Twilight, but the first rule of being a magician is never reveal your secrets.” He said with a grin.

“Why?”

“If every Unicorn knew my spells then how could I earn a living as a performer?” He said as he took a sip from his glass.

“I just want to be sure that you didn’t use dark magic.”

“Never touched the stuff.” He said in a flat tone. “By the way, why did you guys stockpile a full cart of tomatoes?”

“Call it insurance.” Rainbow said in a flat tone.

“Ah right. Applejack said you guys had a little Ursa Minor incident the last time a performer came to town right?” He asked as he cocked an eyebrow.

“Yeah.” Dash said with a grumble.

“Mind if I ask what caused the Ursa to get into town? I doubt a performer would intentionally lead something like that into town.”

“Well, it wasn’t entirely their fault.” Twilight said.

“Say what now?” Hex said.

“The performer kept telling lies about her accomplishments and bragging.” Dash said in a rough tone.

“And that led the Ursa in?”

“Well, some colt’s had the idea to prove that she’s the best and led it into town.” Rarity said as she rolled her eyes.

“So then it’s their fault.” The mares looked at him in shock. “It’s not the performer’s fault how the crowd reacts to their show.”

“But they wouldn’t have done that had she not told that story!” AJ yelled.

“Can you prove that?” He asked as he cocked an eyebrow.

“Well, no. But she was still shooting her mouth off.”

“Ah, I’ve run into quite a few of ponies like that. They’re the ponies that give performers like myself a bad name.” He said with a grunt. “Take my ex mare friend for example; she was a complete show off!”

“How bad?” Twilight asked.

“Ugh, we couldn’t go anywhere without her mentioning how ‘great and powerful’ she was.” He said as he made quotation marks with his hooves. The mares looked at one another in surprise.

“What was her name?” Twilight asked.

“Look guys. I really, really don’t want to talk about it.” He said with a yawn. “I’ll see you guys tomorrow. I gotta get some sleep.” He said as he got tot his hooves and left the establishment. The mares looked at one another in shock.

“So he dated Trixie?” Pinkie asked.

“Sure looks that way sugar cube.” AJ said with a sigh.

“Tough break AJ.” Dash said with a grin.

“What are you on about?” The mare asked with an eyebrow cocked.

“Don’t be coy dear. I saw how you looked at him while he was on stage.” The white mare said as she waggled here eyebrow. The farmer instantly blushed.

“The trick was just interesting.” She said as she pulled her hat down over her face hiding her blush.

“Sure it was.” Dash said as she rolled her eyes. The mare instantly got to her hooves and stormed off. The other mare’s looked at Dash who held the smug look on her face.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hex walked into his trailer and immediately laid down on his bed. “Well, that was fun.” He said with a sigh. As he looked turned on his side he faced the window to see the same shadowy figure from before. “Scram.” He said as he narrowed his eyes. The figure evaporated into the shadows. The stallion closed his eyes and let out a sigh as he drifted off to sleep.

Author's Note:

My third AJ X O.C. Fic hope you enjoy it.