• Published 5th Jun 2013
  • 5,392 Views, 184 Comments

My Foal.... - Futile Task



A mother who abandoned, a child she gave up, and the story of what happens when they are reunited by the hands of fate.

  • ...
22
 184
 5,392

Troubles

Rainbow headed to the front desk of the hospital, talking to the attendant and asking which direction Ponyville Orphanage was and then turning to leave. She intended to leave the hospital, not really wanting to talk to anypony till she got what she needed to do done, unfortunately the princesses seemed not to be smiling on her at that moment, for her friends spotted her as she was heading for the door and ran after her.

“Consarn it Rainbow Dash stop right there this instant!”

Rainbow growled as she heard them, not even turning around as she spoke. “I don’t have time for this; I got somewhere I got to get to.”

“Not till you sit down and tell us what the hay is going on, especially not after what Fluttershy just told us.”

Rainbow turned and looked at Rarity for a moment, then turned her gaze to her old friend. “You told them?”

Fluttershy nodded, “I had to tell them something Dash.”

Rainbow glared at her, then turned her back on her friends, continuing her way to her destination.

“Now hold on just a minute,” said Applejack, reaching out and grabbing Rainbow Dash by the shoulder to stop her. Unfortunately Rainbow was in no mood to be stopped, batting away Applejacks hoof with a growl.

“I told you I don’t have time for this, I’ll talk with you all latter, right now I need to head over to the orphanage!”

The others looked at her in shock, but before any of them could speak she leaped into the air, speeding off toward the orphanage.

* * *

Rainbow landed outside the Orphanage minutes latter, walking through the gate as an older mare exited the building, looking concerned as she spotted her.

“I am sorry mam but if your looking to adopt you will have to come back another time, I just got a message from the doctors saying that one of our fillies got admitted…”

“I know mam,” said Rainbow, “I was the one that brought her into the hospital.”

“What, but they said that her mother…”

Rainbow raised a hoof to silence her, “can…can we go inside please, this may take a while to explain.

The mare looked at her for a moment, noting the hurt and hesitance in her eyes, and then she nodded, motioning for her to follow and heading back up toward the orphanage.

* * *

“Goddess dam that slimy no good rotten…”

“Calm down Applejack, I’m sure she is just…”

“JUST WHAT!” yelled Applejack, rounding on Rarity with a venomous glare. “JUST STRESSED, JUST AGGRAVATED, IS THAT WHAT YAH WERE GOING TO SAY TAH ME!”

“What is going on here?”

The others turned around to see Twilight standing in the door, her hair a bit disheveled and a scowl on her face as she stared at Applejack. They had decided to go to Golden Oaks Library to wait for Twilight after Rainbow had left them.

“What the hay are you yelling about Applejack, and where is Rainbow Dash?”

“That slimy piece of…”

“APPLEJACK!” shouted Rarity, “I don’t care how angry you are at her right now, there is no reason you should be using such language.”

Twilight just stared at her friends in confusion, wondering what had happened at the hospital to cause Applejack to be acting this way. However as she opened her mouth to speak she noticed Pinkie, her mane and tail still deflated and her eyes downcast as she stared at the floor. “What’s wrong with Pinkie?”

“She has been like that ever since we found out that little filly in the hospital is Rainbow Dash’s foal!”

Twilight looked at her in shock, her mouth hanging open as the information hit her. “She…she’s what?”

Applejack opened her mouth again, only for Rarity to shove her hoof in her mouth with a glare. “Oh no, we aren’t hearing anymore form you until you go and calm yourself down. Now why don’t you just head into the kitchen and cool off, I’ll talk with Twilight.”

Applejack looked like she was going to try and argue, but gave up and left, leaving Rarity to wipe her hoof off. “I am sorry about her Twilight, she has been like that ever since she found out, and you know how she can get when it comes to family.”

“But…but what did Rainbow do, and how could we have not known she had a foal up till now?”

“Well…that’s the part that has Applejack so mad, it seems that when Rainbow was young she…she abandoned the foal.”

Twilight was rendered speechless, her mind locking up on what she had just heard. Rainbow Dash, the element of loyalty, the most dependable pony she had ever known, had abandoned the one thing she was supposed to stay loyal to beyond anything else.

“No…no no no no no no…” said Twilight, clutching her head due to the impossibility such a statement produced in her mind.

“Great now we broke her to,” said Fluttershy, getting up to comfort the poor mare as she began to rock back and forth on her haunches.

Rarity looked form her to Pinkie, unease growing at her due to what such information. She needed help, she needed advice, but who could she turn to with something like this. Then she looked at Twilight once again, and she immediately thought of who to turn to, walking over and kneeling down so that she was facing Twilight.

“Twilight...where do you keep your quill and parchment?”

* * *

Gleaming Shores stared at the mare as she finished her story, passing the tissue box she had been holding to Rainbow so she could get another tissue, for she had been sobbing the entire time. Gleaming had to admit, she had heard many a strange story while working at the Orphanage, but the story this mare had told her rocked her to the emotional core.

“This…this is a lot to take in Miss Dash…”

“Misses,” said Rainbow, not wanting to hide anything from the pony between her and her foal.

“Oh, so I can assume from that your still in contact with the father?”

“Yes…though it’s complicated, you…you remember what I said about…about them.”

Gleaming nodded, “you don’t have to worry dear, your secret is safe with me. Now why don’t we discuss the matter of paper work, I assume you will be wanting to adopt her?”

Rainbow looked a bit taken aback, but she nodded, “yes…though only if you’ll let me. I…I know what I did back then means I pretty much gave up my rights to…”

Gleaming clutched her hoof reassuringly, “it’s alright Misses Dash, from what you have told me it wasn’t your fault. But I must caution you to break the information to her gently, she…well, she doesn’t really think to highly of you.”

Rainbow Dash gave her a sad smile, “I wouldn’t think to highly of me either, not after what I did.”

Gleaming patted her on the shoulder, “hey it’s alright now, at least you have a chance to correct your mistake, not may ponies get that. Now come on, let’s go take care of that paper work.”

Rainbow nodded, getting up and following the mare to her office, hope slowly filling her heart like it hadn’t in a long time. And as she filled out the adoption forms, she was visited by a feeling she hadn’t experience since the day she had given birth to Scootaloo, a feeling she had all but given up hope on till today…she was finally going to be a mom.

Author's Note:

Whelp, first I broke Pinkie, and now I have gone and broke Twilight, what a lovely individual I am. As always I hope you enjoyed the chapter and if you guys have any questions and/or Comments please feel free to drop them on by, I always love hearing from you avid readers.