• Published 2nd Jun 2013
  • 8,965 Views, 492 Comments

Orchestrated Chaos - ReFro



All Chloe ever wanted was to be was the world's most renown cellist but fate, sometimes, doesn't always deal you the hand you want...

  • ...
18
 492
 8,965

17. The Truth.

“Melody! Come on now, time to git up! I’ll pull the covers off ya if you don't get your flank up right now.” After the fourth time, the sound of Granita’s slightly agitated voice had finally cut through the veil of sleep that had its firm grip on the slumbering filly.

“Five more...,” Melody started to mutter but had to pause for a moment to think of how to say the correct word. She was still trying to switch from speaking English to speaking Equestrian, and it took her a little bit sometimes. “Minutes.” Quickly pulling the blanket over her head with a moan, she wanted nothing else at this moment than to just get a few more precious minutes of shuteye since she hadn’t got much sleep last night on the account of worrying about today. “Please?”

The sound of hooves fast approaching meant only one thing as she clenched onto the corners of the blanket and mentally moaned, knowing that she wasn’t going to be getting anymore sleep this morning...

“Not today. Up ya go, missy.”

With that one brief warning, the blanket was unceremoniously pulled completely off of her in one swift, cruel motion. The warm, comforting air that had surrounded her just a second ago, was quickly replaced by harsh, cold breeze that rushed over her now exposed body, sending a chill racing down her spine. With it getting much colder at night now and, with the lack of central heating, the blanket and body heat from Granita were the only two things she could rely on to keep her warm at night; well, the fur coat helped too.

“Granita~,” Melody moaned, a little bit of whining evident in her tone as she curled up into a ball on the bed. “It’s cold!”

“Ah know, but time to get up. Yer breakfast ain’t gonna get any warmer,” she said, picking up the reluctant filly, setting her down on the ground and forcing her to stand up and get going for the day. “Ma made cinnamon oatmeal. That will warm ya up real quick like, as long as you get your flank movin’ before it gets cold.”

Wiping the sleep from her eyes, Melody looked up to the older mare with a quick yawn. It was still dark outside and Granita’s features were hard to make out in the low light as she blinked a few times. “Ma made what now?” she groggily asked, not understanding the last part of what the mare had said. There was a slight smell of something familiar in the air. The musky sweet smell wafted over her nose, causing her to sniff a few times, trying to figure out what it was.

“Cinnamon oatmeal,” Granita repeated slower this time but that only gained her a blank stare in return. She lightly sighed, but she couldn't blame Melody for not knowing every word yet. In fact, it was quite amazing that the filly had picked up all the words that she had already. Dr. Charts just might of been correct when he had called her smart. In fact, Melody was scary smart at times. She had this uncanny ability to grasp things very quickly for a foal her age, even very complex things like algebra that no filly should be able to understand at the fundamental level that she displayed. It was very impressive to say the least that only a month ago she couldn’t speak a lick of Equestrian. Now, she was able to speak almost as well as any other foal her age, which everypony’s best guess was around five years old, but nopony knew for sure, not even Melody.

“Cin-na-mon,” Melody parroted back slowly, still not understanding what those words meant in Equestrian yet, “oat-meal.” She paused for a second as she stretched, yawning again with a small shiver. At least hooves on a cold floor are a lot better than bare feet on a cold floor, she thought to herself before speaking up. “Well, whatever that is, it smells good,” she replied with another small yawn.

“Yup, cinnamon oatmeal, and it is good, but it’s not so good cold, which it will be if you don’t get moving. We have a bunch of things that need to be done today,” Granita replied, a hint of annoyance in her voice, nudging the slow-to-wake filly out of the room and towards the table.

“Why, what's going on today?” Melody asked, climbing up into the chair and looking over the contents of the bowl. Her eyes lit up in recognition as she took in a big whiff, the hot steam warming her cold face. “Ohh, cinnamon oatmeal. That's what I have been smelling.”

“There’s a whole heapin' list of things that need done before it gets too cold out and starts snowin’. And, it seems that fall will be short this year. Fer some reason, the new weather team captain decided we needed an extra long winter.” Granita gently shook her head with a sigh at that while grabbing a scarf that Melody had never seen before and set it down on the table. “Here, after yer done eatin’, put this on and come out to the barn. Ma and Pa are already out workin’.”

“Alright, but where did this come from?” she asked, picking up the light pink and white crocheted scarf as she looked to Granita and then back to the new scarf, taking note of how it felt as it draped over her hoof and part of her foreleg. The yarn was very soft and fluffy, not itchy in the slightest. It seemed to cling onto her fur, instantly making that part of her body warmer, causing her to lightly shiver from the sudden temperature difference. “Wow, this is nice. Warm too.”

“Sure is. Ah got one too.” Granita smiled, pulling out her own brand new orange and white scarf, putting it around her neck. “Pa picked them up in town yesterday. He wanted to give it to ya himself this morning, but ya slept in.”

“Oh,” she replied, her ears drooping a bit as she rolled the tip of the scarf around in her hoof. “Well, I’ll have to thank him and let him know how much I appre… apprec...“ She let out a little snort in frustration. “How much I like it.”

Granite giggled a bit and mussed the filly’s mane before heading over to the door. “Ah’m sure he would appreciate that. But, eat up and get yer flank out to the barn.”

Melody flashed her a quick scrunched up face, running a hoof through her mane to straighten it back out before smiling at her. “Yes, ma’am,” she replied in a playful tone as the mare left. After Granita was out of sight, she put on the scarf. Warmth instantly filled her entire body as if someone had turned on a space heater that warmed her from every angle. “Ohh~ wow. I could have really used one of these ages ago,” she mused to herself and returned to her breakfast, thinking about what exactly needed to be done on the farm today since even Ma was outside working.

<><><><><>

Melody stepped outside into the cold morning air after finishing up her breakfast and did a quick grooming. Even though she had been turned into a pony, she still liked to look her best, even if it was just for farm work. The stars were still clearly visible in the dark, cloudless sky but off in the distance, the snow-covered tops of the western mountains were already brightly illuminated by the morning sun’s rays, signaling that dawn was almost here down in the valley.

With every exhale, her breath could be seen as she made her way across the yard and over to the barn with a smile, mentally thanking Pa for the new scarf. It was doing an excellent job at keeping her nice and warm on this chilly October morning.

“Granita,” Melody shouted out, her voice echoing throughout the barn as she opened the door. The strong smell of slightly rotting apples mixed with hay assaulted her nose, making her scrunching her face a bit.

“Back here.”

“Back where?” she asked, looking around for the older mare but not seeing her anywhere.

Granita popped her head around the corner of one on the far back walls, waving a hoof. “Over here.”

The barn was fairly empty now that all the apples had been processed into cider. The family had a makeshift stall setup all last week and had sold off every single bottle they made. The only things that remained in here was the farm equipment, most of which was still slightly pink. Pa still poked fun of her about that from time to time, but it was all in good fun, and she did, in a way, ruin his tools so she let it slide.

“What’cha doing over…” Walking around the corner, she abruptly stopped. Her question was answered when she saw a few barrels of apples and the large fruit press that they made the cider in that Granita was setting up. “Where did these come from?” Melody asked, pointing to the few barrels of apples. “I thought we turned them all into cider already?”

Granita smiled a very wide smile with a glint in her eyes as she went back to setting up the fruit press. “This is for the special cider that's just fer our family. We used to make it before we moved here, but ya have to wait for the apples to ferment a little. Ah’m gonna surprise Ma and Pa by making us some. Well, Ah guess just us adults. We can’t have a drunk filly wandering about, now can we?” She giggled, putting another piece of the machine in place.

It took a second for Melody to understand a few of the words, but it made enough sense to her. “So you are making...uhhh, the good cider?” she asked, walking up the fruit press and giving Granita the next piece it needed. Having helped set it up a few times before, she could probably put it together herself if she wants so small.

“Guess that there is one ways of putting it. Ah think the word ya are looking fer is, alcoholic. Very alcoholic.” She smiled, mussing up the filly’s mane again.

“Stoooop~” Melody frowned at her, quickly brushed back down her mane with her hooves the best she could. Sure, she couldn’t get it styled the way she wanted it to look due to the lack of proper grooming accessories that were required, but she still tried to make it look as good as possible with what little she had available to her, and Granita had just messed it all up.

“Oh, you’ll be fine. Ain’t no one gonna mind one bit if yer mane is a little fussy. Sides, ain’t anypony else here sides us family anyways.”

“I, yeah, but… I just like to look good. And you ruined it.” She pouted for a second.

“Say, when we get back inside, Ah’ll do your mane and tail up really nice like, how about that?”

“Really!” The filly’s eyes lit up a bit. “I mean, yea, sure,” she said with a cough, covering her mouth with a hoof.

That poor act garnered a laugh from Granita as she finished up with the press. “Yes, really. Ah messed up your mane, so Ah’ll fix it. Ah don’t want ya to be mad to me fer something like that.” She stepped back, looking over the press one last time. “Alright, grab that small barrel and let’s get started.”

<><><><><>

Time went by fairly quickly that day with lunch coming and going before they knew it. Melody was glad that she was able to keep her mind off of what she was going to have to explain tonight. Besides, every time she thought about it, it gave her a small headache till she stopped thinking about it. The cider making had taken a good part of the morning and after lunch, they did their normal chores around the farm. Taking care of the animals and tending the fields a little, though there wasn't much left to do on that front, they still had to pick up all the things that Ma and Pa usually did while they were here. Melody had inquired about them when she found out that they hadn’t been out working somewhere in the fields or anywhere on the farm. Granite had informed her that they had gone into town for something today and they would be back by suppertime.

She had tried to understand what it was they were gone for, but whatever Granita was saying to her just didn't make any sense, so she let it go for now instead of pestering the mare to explain it better. Ma and Pa were gone till suppertime and that is all she really cared to know about that anyways.

After they had come back inside, Melody got all washed up and relaxed for a bit, glad to be done with the day's work. She watched as the sun starting to set over the mountains while Granita started supper. That meant that twilight was fast approaching and Ma and Pa still weren’t back yet.

“Ya ready to get yer mane all done up nice and purdy now, squirt?” Granita asked, placing the lid on the pot as the contents started to cook.

“Sure, but when are Ma and Pa gonna be back? It’s getting late…,” she asked as she went into their bedroom. Lying down on the bed with a sigh, she watched as Granita followed her, sitting down next to her after she had grabbed a brush from the dresser.

“They should be home anytime now. Don’t worry about it, they'll be fine.” The brush went up to the filly’s mane, starting at the top of her head and gently going down her neck in long, slow strokes. Granita took great care to get out any knots or tangles without pulling too hard as she worked Melody’s disheveled mane back into something proper.

“It’s just... I’m worried and a bit nervous about how y’all are gonna react when I tell you about my past. I don’t want you to hate me or throw me out or anything like that.” She let out a long, exasperated sigh, laying her chin down on the bed as the brush stopped mid stroke partly down her neck.

“Melody,” Granita said in a loving tone, “we would never do anything like that. Where in the world did ya go and pick up them ideas from?”

Turning her head to look back, she noticed that Granita had a slightly worried look on her face. She sighed, looking back down to the bed while pawing at the blanket. “I just… I dunno. I don’t think you will believe me, and I don’t want any of you to think I’m a… a… that I’m not telling the truth. I’m worried that y’all will hate me for what I am going to tell you, and I’m scared that I’ll be alone again, like I was before you found me.”

Setting the brush down, Granita scooped up the filly, bringing her into a tight hug and gently rubbing her back. “Now listen here. Ma, Pa, or I would never, ever hate you. We love you. No matter what you went through before, we will continue to love you, understand?” She lightly squeezed her before setting her back on the bed.

With a nod, Melody laid back down. “Thank you. I... I love you guys too. That is kinda why I am scared, but I need to tell all of you. Keeping it from you has been eating me up inside, and I think that is part of the reason I haven’t been sleeping well. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it and it has been giving me headaches every time I do.”

Placing a hoof on the filly’s back in between her shoulder blades, Granita started to rub in a small circle as she softly spoke. “Ya don’t have to be scared of nothin’, sweetie. Just explain everything to us after supper, and we can all work through whatever is it that has been eatin’ ya up, alright?”

Nodding again, Melody closed her eyes for a second before her ears twitched, picking up a sound outside right before the front door opened.

“Granita! Melody! We’re home!” Came the voice of Ma followed by the sound of the door shutting behind her, along with the clip clop of two pony’s hooves on the wooden floor. “Ohh, supper is smelling good!”

“Welcome back and thanks Ma. Melody and I are in our room,” Granita called out, letting them know where they were. “You get what’cha needed from town?”

“Even better,” Pa said, looking inside the bedroom, smiling at the two of them. “Come spring, we are getting a few cows. Gonna start producing milk ‘round here as well.”

“Cows?” Granita mumbled mostly to herself as she started combing Melody’s mane again. “Shoot, we are going to have to build a pasture…”

“Hi, Pa! Hi, Ma!” Melody cheerfully said, smiling at them from her spot on the bed. “Thank you for the scarf. It’s awesome!”

“Hello, dear. And you’re welcome,” Ma said, smiling back as she set down her saddlebags and started putting things away.

The large stallion nodded and smirked. “Well, we can’t have ya go around shiverin’ all the time, now can we?” He chuckled before heading to his bedroom.

Melody smiled at that and watched Ma through the bedroom door from her spot on the bed. The mare had begun putting away a few things on the shelf and after a few moments Melody spoke up. “Granita, what’s a... cow?” She had a good idea what it might be, but there were lots of animals that produced milk and seeing as how there were many new and different animals here than what she was used to, it was better to ask than assume.

“What’s a cow?” Granita quickly asked back, not really expecting a question like that but then chuckled. “You know, big, usually black and white critters that produce milk? They go ‘moo’ a lot.”

“Oh. I thought so, but I wasn’t sure.” She giggled for a second before a small blush appeared on her cheeks. “I probably sound silly asking all these questions, huh?”

“Nah, Ah don’t mind. Ya just caught me off guard is all. In fact, Ah think yer doin’ a great job of learnin’ our language. Darn quick like too,” she said with a smile, finishing up the filly’s short, dark grey mane. “Alright, stand up and Ah’ll get yer tail, and then we can go eat.”

“Hey, Granita?” she asked, standing up.

“Yeah?”

“What’s the sound a cow makes again?” She started to giggle.

Granita rolled her eyes. “Hush you.”

<><><><><>

“...so if we move the barn over yonder, then build the pasture off the West end of it, that would give the cows a mighty big grazing area, plus they could git to the barn then,” Pa spoke as they all finished up their supper at the table, “and leave us with a decent size of land to build a bigger house next year if’n all goes well.”

“But Pa,” Granita replied, a bit of confusion shown on her face, “moivn’ the barn ain’t no easy task. Us four can’t do it alone. We’s gonna need some helpin’ hooves.”

“Oh, ya didn’t tell them yet?” Ma asked, eyeing her husband.

“Tell us what, Pa?” Came the stereo sound of Melody and Granita at the same time, causing them to turn their heads to each other and giggle. “Jinx! You owe me a Coke!”

They all turned and looked at the filly for a second. Ma spoke up to break the awkward silence, “What’s ah jinx and what’s ah Coke?”

Melody sheepishly looked down at the table, lightly giggling. “It’s nothin’ really. Just a silly joke from back home that you said when two ponies say the same thing at the same time.”

That’s right. It is nothing. And it will stay nothing if you know what is good for you, came a deep, almost growling voice inside of her head causing her body to lockup momentarily as her fur stood on end.

“Sweetie, what’s the matter? You look like ya just seen a ghost.”

Ma’s voice brought Melody back, though she could feel a cold electricity run through her veins. “May I be excused please? I need to use the outhouse.” The second Ma nodded, she jumped out of the chair and ran out the backdoor to the small outhouse. It was only a few yards away from the house but the laughing voice in her head made it seem like it was a mile away.

“I reckon she really had to go.” Pa chuckled as the two mares just rolled their eyes at him. “What?”

Having gotten a whiff of the outhouse from a few feet away, Melody decided against going in there and headed to the nearest apple tree in the orchard that was several more yards away. She stood behind the tree and waited for a second to see if the voice would speak up again. When it didn’t, she tried to reach out to it.

“Hello? Who are you?” Melody quietly asked, her breathe swirling in the cold night air as her heart thumped inside of her chest.

Several tense moments went by with no response from whatever had conjured up that voice. “What did you mean when you said it would stay nothing?” she asked, hoping for an answer this time around.

Nothing.

At this point, Melody thought she just might be hearing things, or perhaps losing her mind, or who knows what other things that this body was doing to her. A few weeks ago, she had begun to notice that some memories were blurry, and it was hard at times to recall some of the finer details that she used to be able to remember with relative ease. “It’s gotta be the stress or something that's getting to me,” she muttered, letting out a slow, calming breath and watched as it swirled in the moonlight before slowly dissipating.

The wind picked up a little, rustling the leaves above her. She shivered from the cold, biting wind as she looked up to the heavens. A full moon was clearly visible in the cloudless sky, lighting up the orchard in its soft, pale glow as the howl of a timberwolf could be heard echoing throughout the farm, though it was some distance away. That made a chill go down her spine, and she quickly turned around to head back indoors, not wanting anything to do with those god-forsaken wolves ever again. It seemed that the voice was just her imagination playing tricks on her and there really was nothing to worry about in the first place.

Or so she thought.

There will be dire consequences if you tell anyone about your past life, little one.

Melody froze again at the sound of this voice. “Who are you, and how do you know how to speak English? Are you the one that brought me to this place?” she asked in a whisper.

Yes, I was the one that brought you here. One could even say that you are my little mistake. His bellowing laughter gave her a slight headache. But who I am is not important and as for speaking in your native tongue, I am doing it as a courtesy so we can converse easily. Perhaps you would rather us speak in Klingon instead?

“Well, it’s important to me,” Melody shot back, anger in her voice. “Tell me who you are and why you brought me here. In plain English. Now.”

There was an ominous chuckle that reverberated throughout her mindscape. Looks like someone has a temper and... doesn’t know Klingon. What a pity. It’s a beautiful language. Anyways... back to the matter at hand. You always had a strong mind, Chloe Griffin, twenty-six year old human female from Chicago, Illinois, location Earth, pursuer of the fine arts. A strong mind indeed, but not strong enough to keep your own identity it seems. His voice was in a teasing tone and it only served to make the filly madder.

Melody growled. “How do you know all this about me and what the hell is that supposed to mean? I am still me, just in a different body and answer my other question! Who are you?”

Don’t play dumb with me, little girl! The voice roared, completely ignoring her previous question. You know exactly what I meant by that. You have all but shunned your old life and have taken quite well to this new one as a little filly it seems. Why, you even went as far as to give up your native name and took on a new persona in life as one Ms. Melody Harvest. Oh, what would you family and friends think of you now? He chuckled, egging Melody on.

Melody snorted through her nose, wishing that she could see this monster so she could punch him in the face, or at least glare at him. Instead, it was the innocent outhouse that got the full wrath of her gaze. “I am not a little girl, you asshole. I am still Chloe Griffin. I still have my identity. I only took to the new name because I couldn't tell them what my real name was at the time and when I did, they had such a hard time pronouncing it, that I felt bad for trying to force them to use it. So, as a token of my appreciation for them being kind enough to take me in, I let them call me that. That is the only reason! And for another thing, leave my friends and family out of this!”

My my. Someone is a bit sensitive about this subject, he said in a sing-song voice. Although, I just might have some information that you just might like to hear about your friend one Ms. Gennie Brooks. But, if you want me to leave them out of this so badly...

Melody grit her teeth as her eyes tried to burn a hole in the side of the outhouse. It was a fitting facsimile for how she felt about this monster in her head. “What did you want from me in exchange?” she asked though her teeth.

Ohhh, right to the point, I like that. Well, Ms. Griffin, there is only one thing I want from you, one thing alone. Your past. You do this, and I will tell you all about your friend and why you were brought here.

The filly’s expression turned from anger to that of confusion as she stared dumbly at the outhouse. “My past? How are you going to take my past? That...I don't even know what to say to that. It doesn't make sense! I want to go home, not forget about it!”

It makes perfect sense, you dolt! Are all humans as stupid as you are, because if so, I should just eradicate your entire species just to spare the universe from your blatant stupidity! Here, let me explain this in a way your simple mind can understand. Ahem. The new body you are in will gradually push your human side out, I’m sure you have felt it before, like something poking and prodding at your mind. That is your body trying to push out your old thoughts and memories, replacing them with new ones or removing them altogether, he stated in a monotone voice that reminder her of some of her more boring professors.

“But...why?”

If you wouldn’t have interrupted me, I would’ve explained that already, he hissed. Now then, if you would kindly shut up while I am talking, I’ll explain. Your new body’s brain and your old body’s brain are incompatible. One stores information one way while the other stores it in a different way. Now that your thoughts and memories have been transferred over, your new mind sees them as a foreign object and is trying to get rid of them, but the more you think about them and try to recall them, the longer they’ll persist.

Melody was doing her best not to freak out at this troubling information and instead was focusing on getting as much information out of this thing as possible. “Is that why I was having headaches all the time when I kept thinking about my home? And what about just bringing me back to Earth? Can’t you just do that? Why keep me here since I was a mistake as you so bluntly put it.”

You have no idea how inter-dimensional travel works, do you? Bah, who am I kidding? Of course you don’t. The short answer is, no. There is no way for you to return. Ever. As for the headaches, I am no doctor, but I would say that there is a good correlation between the two.

Taking a deep breath, Melody wiped away a tear that was starting to form in one of her eyes. “So, there is no way back home… and I am just supposed to forget about twenty-six years of my life, just like that? Forget about everyone and everything I-I love and hold dear to me?” She started to sniffle; it was getting harder to hold back the dampness in her eyes. The cold air continued to blow over her as stared up into the night sky. “I refuse to believe you.” She stamped the ground with her small hoof after a moment. “I refuse to believe that there is no way back home. I refuse to believe that I have to give up everything. I think you are just fucking with me for kicks or something. Take Gennie and I back home, now!”

I never said Gennie was here, I just said I had information about her. But, since you seem to not trust my word, let me put it in a more primitive way for you to understand.

Melody felt a sharp pain run through her head and quickly found out that she couldn’t control her body at all as panic raced over her. What are you doing to me? she spoke to him in her mind as her body stood up on its own.

Even if there was a way for me to send you back home, I wouldn’t. I owe you nothing and that is exactly what you are going to get from me if you don’t stop acting like a brat. Now, I am going to demonstrate to you that I am not playing around, nor do I have time to be playing around with stupid little girls like you.

Her body started backing up, getting a decent distance away from the outhouse as Melody tried to understand what it was doing to her. Before she could think too much on it, she started running at a full gallop towards the outhouse. Wait! Stop! There was no response from the voice or her body as she got closer to the small building. She couldn’t control herself at all, not even able to close her eyes as she impacted the side of the outhouse head on.

You will do as I say and forget about your past or the next time I will not be so lenient.

That was the last thing Melody heard as she slipped into unconsciousness on the cool grass.